Expensify

Stefanos S.
Business Operations Assistant
Internet, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: - Expense tidying up
- Categorize according to projects, events etc.
- Everything centralized
- Ability to handle expenses with other team members

Vorteile: We have been using Expensify for over a year now and I can say that it we have been pleased more or less. I really like the fact that you are given the ability to manage your expense and categorize according to how detailed you really need it. In addition, the joint report of all expenses is neat and easy to manipulate. I would say that it is quite user friendly once you get familiar with it (you do need a few times to use it in order to get a full handle on it). The app is a strong point as well.

Nachteile: Nothing too bad about it. Sometimes it cannot process as quickly as I desire especially when uploading pdf files. Subsequently I have had to log out and log in again to reset it in a sense. Other than that I would say it is a rather solid service.

A well rounded and easy to use accounting software

Bewertet am 24.10.2019
Joshua J.
Customer Support Specialist

Kommentare: I really enjoy expensify and everything it encapsulates. It's easy, and quite frankly, effective and I recommend to everyone.

Vorteile: Quite frankly, Expensify is literally the easiest and most effect of the Expense software on the market. It's easy to use, it's thorough and it's easy to download/understand reporting features.

Nachteile: I've been using Expensify for nearly 3 years, I personally do not have any qualms with Expensify. Internet speed can affect issues, if you are updating a bunch of receipts.

The clear leader in expense reporting

Bewertet am 29.1.2020
Associate Community Manager
Immobilien, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: A few months ago, I liked Expensify, but probably wouldn't have rated it quite as highly. Recently, however, I've been required to use Certify for expense reports. WOW, Expensify blows it out of the water in every regard. More mobile friendly, easier to use regardless of device, and much less of a learning curve.

Vorteile: While it's easy to use Expensify on your desktop and drag and drop e-receipts into it, it's also very mobile-friendly. For paper receipts, I always use the app to photograph my receipt. The process is pretty intuitive and easy to learn.

Nachteile: Expensify allows users to create "rules" that prefill some expense details based on conditions you set. This could be built out a little more. For instance, why do I need to select what card was used for a purchase if the expense automatically ported in from my credit card activity?

Worst customer service

Bewertet am 15.11.2019
Eventservice, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: the software when working is great but the customer service is the worst I have ever worked with in the world and they don't care about paying clients

Vorteile: easy to track expense
connects with stripe to invoice
easy to mark paid

Nachteile: when a problem happens customer service does not exist
problems can last over 1 month
no credit for the system not working
they want customers to fix issues that are their problem
no managers in the company

Expensify overcharges for their "Corporate" platform and becomes useless once your bank feed breaks.

Bewertet am 31.1.2018
Chief Financial Officer

Kommentare: Was ok and saved time, before it broke.

Vorteile: Ease of launch, mobile app works decently well. Onboarding support was decent, but sadly short-lived. They still offer monthly pricing. If you're tempted to try their Corporate or higher plan, DO NOT sign on to their annual pricing plan, see below for why.

Nachteile: Google "expensify known issues". Review the list of the corporate cards that they don't support. Be aware that they are not disclosing the many other corporate cards that their platform doesn't support.
If you're lucky enough to use one of the corporate cards that they are currently supporting, be aware that their connection to your bank feed can break at any time. Generally, this will happen after your promotional period has ended and after your onboarding support contact has moved on.
Once the bank feed breaks you're left with only chat support, which will take an average of 12 hours or more to respond to you.
When chat support responds, it's clear that they are pasting from support scripts that have no relevance to your situation. Most responses will assume you're on a Team plan, and initially offer troubleshooting steps aimed at those clients. You'll have to explain that you're a Corporate client.
Once you explain this, you'll wait another 12 hours for a response from someone who hasn't read the prior communication chain and you'll have to explain yourself again. this sort of back-and-forth goes on for some time.
Eventually you'll get them to admit that the only work-around for a broken corporate card bank feed is a manual CSV import through each individual's account.
Don't expect any meaningful response or acknowledgement if you bother to question the fees you're paying for broken corporate access. They will not listen and will not offer any discount or refund.

von Expensify an 31.1.2018

Hi there, thank you for leaving your feedback! I apologize for the issues you've run into but definitely want to clarify a few things:

Re: corporate card connections. Bank connections may break for any variety of reasons, including (but is not limited to) bank maintenance, connection issues, changes in usernames/passwords, and more. Unfortunately most of these are out of our hands, but we do keep an updated list of known issues here: https://docs.expensify.com/setup-for-submitters/advanced-configuration-for-submitters/bank-import-faqs-and-known-issues.

Re help responses. We definitely don't want to have you waiting 12 hours for a response and it doesn't help that there are a lot more help requests coming in at the end/beginning of a month around billing time. I've let the team know of your concerns and will continue to improve on our response times, especially during busy periods.

Thanks for bringing these issues to our attention!

Keep your expenses in check with Expensify

Bewertet am 3.12.2019
IT Technician
Bildungsmanagement, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I recently have tried to simplify my life by not having a traditional wallet and just using a phone case to store my essential cards and some cash. I used to have many receipts in my wallet and now I didn't have anyway to store them until I reconciled my accounts. Expensify helps me capture screen shots of my receipts, enter in the info from the receipts and then create reports of my expenses. It's a great way to keep your finances in check.

Vorteile: I like the fact that there is an app as well as an online website so I can track my expenses on the go or in the office. Online storage of receipts is nice too.

Nachteile: Marking the receipts as closed is kind of difficult unless they are added to a report. It could be a user error on my part.

Great software

Bewertet am 5.12.2019
Grzegorz S.
IT

Kommentare: Great software for expenses, I would recommend it to everyone who is looking for new app

Vorteile: It gives you the ability to easily submit your expenses using mobile app where you can take photo of the receipt and just submit it in few minutes.

Nachteile: I didnt found any issues with this software so far so there is no much to say in here for me. Great app

Expensify Solves the Receipt Problem

Bewertet am 6.12.2019
Jillian C.
Buchhaltung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Expensify has solved the problem of getting receipts from clients that I need to do their bookkeeping properly. A great help to me and my client.

Vorteile: Expensify has been a big help for my nonprofit client to get me all the receipts I need to do their bookkeeping. Plus my client can trash all those pesky paper receipts because they are now digital and stored on Expensify. All you have to do is either scan or take a picture of the receipts with your phone and through the Expensify app and it shows up right there. Here is another bonus of using Expensify, it can integrate with Quickbooks online and classify transactions for you and put them directly into the register. For me the best part is that it can digitize and store receipts and I can get them from my client without her having to physically give them to me. So much easier!

Nachteile: A couple of cons with this software is that when it's populating a report from the receipts scanned or photographed it sometimes has errors. Either it can read the receipt or it can decipher what classification it should be under. You might have to go in and fix it sometimes. Another annoyance is if you tell it to transfer classified transactions over to Quickbooks online and you have your bank account connected as well it can produce duplicate transactions. So watch out for that.

Makes Expense Reports Bareable

Bewertet am 13.2.2020
Billy G.
Lead Pastor
Religiöse Einrichtungen, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Expensify has made my monthly reports so much simpler. I am immensely thankful for this software.

Vorteile: I cannot express how much I love the ease of use of Expensify. Being able to snap a picture or forward my receipts has made life so much easier.

Nachteile: I'm not a huge fan of the extra expense to reimburse myself. It's a marginal complaint but it's easier to write a check then spend extra money.

Easy tool to track expenses

Bewertet am 15.12.2019
James D.
Senior Account Director

Kommentare: Simplifying the expense claiming process for both front line staff & finance.

Vorteile: We are able easily track our expenses on the move rather than use a more manual process. The app is easy to use & tracks expenses in real time - with us easily able to classify them.

Nachteile: This is much easier to use than the previous manual process that was in place at a previous company that I worked.

Expensify Expense Tracking

Bewertet am 14.8.2019
Nate P.
Tech Operations Advisor
Rechtsberatung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I originally used this software because it was the most straight forward "fool proof" software that allowed me to manage and track several employees travel expenses and business mileage and keeping it as simple as possible for the employees. By implementing this software into our expense tracking, our employee's no longer have to worry about paperwork and keeping track of physical receipts so long as they take a picture of it in Expensify.

Vorteile: The feature that won me over is the softwares ability to extract the necessary relevant information from a picture of the receipt and its reliability to accurately create an expense entry automatically. The other feature that really stands out is the dedicated email address you have to send receipts to the app. This feature is great because of rules i have established in outlook so that any "receipts" from certain companies automatically gets forwarded to my Expensify account.

Nachteile: Occasionally, when I was trying to submit a few large reports the app would freeze up on me. Otherwise I cannot think of any negative experiences I have had with Expensify.

Great Expense Report Software for Small Enterprise

Bewertet am 1.2.2017
Isaac K.
Operations Manager
Vorstandsbüro, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I used this software extensively in a previous position, both as administrator and user. For a small organization, this is an excellent expense reporting software product which will easily allow you to go 100% paperless. All receipts are uploaded digitally and you can take photos of receipts on your phone and upload them onto the app (which is a great app). Once submitted, the routing is very nice and you can track the progress and make modifications if it is kicked back to you. The implementation was very smooth and we were able to incorporate everything we needed, including our chart of accounts, into this product. All of our employees loved it and it is especially useful for organizations who either have a lot of people traveling or who have employees in geographically dispersed locations. We had employees living in very remote parts of the world and they were able to capture all of their expenses and submit reports from anywhere as long as they had an internet connection. The product integrates very well with all of the major credit cards so no issue there. I don't think this product will integrate with your accounting package but I don't think you would expect that from a product of this nature or price range. Expensify is hosted on the cloud so no worries about installation and the implementation process went very smoothly for us. Their customer service wasn't spectacular but this product type and cost is such that someone in house should be able to manage everything and you wouldn't likely need to contact them for anything. The product is priced on a PUPM basis and the rate is very reasonable. I highly recommend this product to any company that doesn't already have an expense reporting feature as part of some larger ERM product. You will not be disappointed!!

Vorteile: Ease of use and implementation, low monthly cost which can be scaled as you add or remove users, completely paperless system and ability to take photos on your phone and upload them to the app, and ease of routing and tracking.

Nachteile: You will not get a lot of customer support and it doesn't integrate well into other applications. I don't think you would expect this of a product at this price though.

von Expensify an 1.2.2017

Thank you for the thorough review, Isaac! Apologies to hear our support is not as fast as you'd like, this is something we're heavily investing our resources on and you should see faster response times soon!

In terms of integration, please let us know at help@expensify.com if you're looking for something in particular. For a full list of our current integrations (including QBO, QBD, Xero, etc), check out https://use.expensify.com/all-integrations/.

Have a great day, and thank you again for leaving us a kind review! We're so glad we're making expenses easier for you and your team!

Good Resource

Bewertet am 18.6.2018
Christie G.
Conference & Event Coordinator

Vorteile: Our company went from using excel spreadsheets to monitor spending and expense reports to using Expensify once it was launched company wide a year and a half ago. In comparison to the old way of doing things, Expensify is a huge improvement. The software can sync with your corporate card (or personal card, if you'd like) so all your transactions are pulled into Expensify automatically. The only time a manual expense needs to be created is if you paid with cash, used a card that is not synced to Expensify or if you're entering mileage. Entering mileage is my second favorite thing about Expensify. It's very easy and can be as simple as inputting your starting destination and ending destination, and it will calculate the mileage for you. My favorite part of Expensify, however, is the mobile app. It allows you to take photos of receipts right away (especially nice while travelling) so you don't have to worry about collecting receipts and scanning them in once you're back in the office. Another nice feature of Expensify is that you can sort and put filters of your expenses to track category spend. This is very nice for our company as we receive some health wellness benefits that allow u to use X amount of money per year so these filters help us track our personal annual spend.

Nachteile: There are some features that have limited options for settings. The first example that comes to mind is if you take a picture of a receipt on the Expensify app, it will automatically mark that expense as reimbursable, even if you it's not.

Expensify to the Rescue!

Bewertet am 26.2.2019
Thomas C.
Sales Director
Bildungsmanagement, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Organization. Receipt management.

Vorteile: I work overseas. Mostly in Europe and my company is based in California. I work for an international charter school organization basically travel for a living while meeting with government entities about educational opportunities. My whole life is expenses. I spend my own money and get reimbursed so it's critical that every receipt, every lunch, hotel, meal, every expense is documented and saved. I'm not the best with money and I struggle with organization on the road. Fortunately, Expensify helps me with both. Every receipt I collect can be instantly scanned and saved. There is no limit to the number which is great because someday's I have in excess of 20 receipts. Expensify tallies my receipts as I go which assures I stay on budget and don't overspend. If I overspend or go over budget I don't get that money back so this feature is critical. My company uses Quickbooks for accounting and Expensify integrates with Quickbooks effortlessly. For those who do not use Quickbooks, rest easy; there isn't a popular (or unpopular) software that Expensify doesn't integrate with. If managing multiple receipts and budgeting is important to you, you MUST give Expensify a try.

Nachteile: Nothing. Expensify is the most complete travel expense app on the market.

Expensify for Ecommerce

Bewertet am 8.10.2019
Matt S.
Operations Manager
Einzelhandel, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: My overall experience with Expensify has been top notch. It really has helped our company become organized and has completely streamlined our expense tracking with ease.

Vorteile: Expensify is hands down the best expense tracking choice for our company. There are a lot of pros to Expensify. Their customer service is amazing, always responding quickly and answering my questions in a very understandable manner. Their app is what we use most, it's simple and easy to use - having every feature you'd every need for tracking expenses. I've also done some research on their company culture and it seems like they really invest into their employees lives. This definitely looks like a great company to work for.

Nachteile: There aren't many cons for Expensify. But if I had to choose something, it would be that the app doesn't real-time-sync with the admin system, you have to manually re-sync when something changes. For example: When the admin adds a new expense category, it doesn't show in the app right away unless the user manually "syncs". At the end of the day, this really isn't that big of a deal.

Expensify is good for business, but bad for personal use

Bewertet am 16.12.2019
Richard S.
General Manager
Gesundheit, Wellness & Fitness, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: My overall experience with Expensify was mind-numbing, but I think that was due to the nature of my job. The actual site and program was not bad, but again, it's tedious for anything other than business purposes.

Vorteile: What I liked most about this software, Expensify, is that it allowed for bulk imports and would often suggest categories for certain items once you upload enough receipts and it could find a pattern. In my position as General Manager, I had access to a company card and Expensify is how we kept track of everything before exporting it to our company's accountant.

Nachteile: What I liked least about this software, Expensify, is that it often flagged certain receipts for being duplicates or for being incorrect despite that not being the case. Unfortunately, this prevented you from saving the files correctly until the "disputes" were corrected. For a business, this can make sense or be rectified as the totals are all that really matter, but for personal use, keeping track of tiny margins and trends becomes a lot more important and needs to be protected.

I love Expensify!

Bewertet am 16.5.2018
Jany C.
Accountant
Buchhaltung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Save tons of time for reviewing, approving and reimbursing to employees.

Vorteile: It saves employees a lot of time and hassle on doing the paper work including keeping the receipts. Employees only need to take a picture of the receipt and submit with their phone. It is easy and timely. If expenses are not submitted immediately, at least the scanned receipts are kept in Expensify for employees to submit anytime later. With the feature of the scanned receipts, no more keeping the stack of paper receipts!

Nachteile: Syncing Expensify with accounting software (Xero) in order to get a complete and updated customer list is not 100% there yet. A lot of times, we couldn't submit an expense marking billable because the customer is not available in the drop down window in Expensify. This requires accountants like us to do extra work in accounting software (Xero) to fix the entry.

Expensify is pretty good

Bewertet am 5.12.2019
Sally G.
Controller

Kommentare: Overall I think Expensify is a solid product but I do believe they would do well to add a lot of functionality from an administrator / accounting perspective.

Vorteile: I like the ease of loading receipts and drilling down into an expense report to find the data I need for accounting purposes. I like the user interface. It's extremely easy to add a new user and our new users never really have questions so I think the users find it easy to navigate. I love that it interfaces with our accounting software creating a seamless exchange of data once everything is set up properly; this saves a lot of time and duplicate entry. I love that it has a direct pay option - the users get the payments directly to their bank account.
The customer support is a chat feature - they don't always respond immediately but it's always pretty quick and they are extremely responsive. They have always helped solve all my issues and I consider their support to be pretty top-notch.

Nachteile: I think the product is lacking altogether in Reporting functionality. There's really not even a "Reports" module to speak of. You have to basically go in and pull your own data from the modules ...it makes everything feel clunky and unprofessional. It's also tricky to find what you need in settings, from an administrator perspective.

I WOULD NOT FUNCTION WITH OUT THIS APP!!!

Bewertet am 15.8.2017
Amy H.
Book Publisher

Kommentare: My life is easier, I don't have to hang on to receipts that lose their ink. And it automates everything. I love it!

Vorteile: My favorite function of this app is that I simply take a photo of my receipt and it inputs EVERYTHING. It inputs the name of the place the receipt is from, the amount of money, and the date on the receipt. It's so simple! It even transfers my receipts from British pounds to US dollars automatically for me when I'm traveling. Or Canadian, or any other country I'm in. It does the conversion for me. Everything is automated. My life is so much easier, and I don't have to carry any receipts around with me. The other favorite thing is that once I'm ready to send a report in, it can be for the month, or a specific trip, or what ever, it emails the entire report broken down into categories for me in a PDF file with the receipt photos attached in the PDF. BOOM!

Great app for tracking expenses

Bewertet am 10.10.2019
Blair P.
Pastor
Religiöse Einrichtungen, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall, I would highly recommend this app for anyone who needs to keep track of expenses. It simplifies the process and makes keeping track of receipts so easy. I don't pay for the monthly fee because I don't have enough to track, and an option to buy it outright might be nice for someone like me, but if I had a lot to track I can see the low monthly fee be a worthwhile expense.

Vorteile: It's simple, easy and keeps me organized. I am not naturally organized (I would just as soon throw a receipt out as try to remember to keep it and then submit it to my office) and so I have to intentionally work at it. This app makes it quick and easy. You take a pic and add some info and it's done. I don't pay the monthly fee because I don't have that much to track, but if you do I would think it's well worth the money. It breaks your expenses down into manageable categories and works offline if needed. If you need help staying organized or just want less paper to keep track of then I would recommend this app.

Nachteile: There really isn't anything about this app that I dislike. It does what it's supposed to do and it does it very well. Maybe if it integrated with my phone camera so when I take a picture of a receipt it automatically gives me the option to import it into Expensify? Maybe that's a pipe dream...

I've used Expensify as an administrator and user and have benefitted greatly in both aspects!

Bewertet am 10.1.2018
Elizabeth B.
HR Representative
Religiöse Einrichtungen, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I find that as a user, the interface is very user friendly and easy to use. I can simply upload receipts and add comments to my expenses. I find it is also easy as an administrator to reject expenses and add comments as to why they were rejected. So easy to use!

Nachteile: The only thing that is hard is that a report won't allow me to add an expense to it in the app. The expense needs to be added first before it can be added to the report, which is hard. Also, it would be nice to make expenses for distance in the app. Perhaps I am able but just don't know how. If so, it could be helpful to make this feature easier to use.

von Expensify an 11.1.2018

Hi Elizabeth, thank you for your kind review! We are so happy that we are helping making your job easier, both as an admin and an end user :)

In regards to distance expenses, you can definitely create this via mobile if you click the (+) button located in the top right corner of the mobile app on the Expenses or Inbox tab.

To add an expense to a report on the app, simply click into a report and you should be directed to a window with a (+) button in the top right corner. Click that to add a new expense to the report.

Hope this helps, thanks again for using Expensify!

The best solution I have found for the retaining and coding of receipts!

Bewertet am 14.11.2017
Davidq H.
Senior Accountant

Vorteile: This is the best software/app I have used to date to manage employee expenses. As an accountant, there is a constant struggle to get employees to retain and code their receipts; Expensify makes it easy for both! The receipt matching and scanning functionality has really impressed me as well. Take a picture of your receipt, and, most of the time, it will auto-match to the corresponding transaction. Another great feature is that Expensify will generate audit-able receipts for certain small transactions.

Nachteile: Expensify's per user pricing can be a large deterrent depending on company size. A bulk pricing option would be much more tantalizing for larger and even mid-size companies.

Expenses made easy.

Bewertet am 17.5.2019
User Operations Lead
Finanzdienstleistungen, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall Im happy. They have a powerful app and uploading expenses is quick and effective. The app is decent so saves you having to use the web client. Overall it does what you need it to do, but theres some advanced functions that Expensify is missing that its competitors have (Listed above). I would recommend this vendor if you want speed and simplicity, but if you are interested in the more advanced functions and automation then its worth having a look at competitors first.

Vorteile: - Very easy to upload receipts
- Handy email reminders
- Variable options for tax which helps when working internationally
- Options to retract submitted expenses to correct mistakes without waiting for them to be declined by financing teams

Nachteile: - The receipt scan function is slow, to the point where everyone within our teams choses to manually upload the receipt info. This is fine as it doesn't take long but it makes the scan option pointless.
- No geotagging to show location of your purchases, such as you see in Monzo/Revelout/Stirling bank etc.
- Occasional software crashes, quite a minor complaint as you simply re-launch the app and continue
- No way to automatically link into a bank card, so your expenses don't automatically upload - This would be such a game changer!
- No total expenses viewable on app, you can see the total value of each individual claim but if you want to see how much you have claimed over the week/month/year you need to manually add them up.

Expense reports made easy!

Bewertet am 7.9.2018
Kiana B.
Co-founder & Operations Administrator
Non-Profit-Organisation Management, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I'm not kidding when I say I recommend this product to EVERYONE! When I give people nonprofit management advice this is at the top of my list. Great experience with this product and fast and effective customer service!

Vorteile: This software is extremely user friendly and makes expense reports a breeze, no more saving receipts on long trips or doing paperwork. I love that it syncs with your card/bank and automatically brings in the expenses and gets smarter as you set categories so the longer you use it the easier expense reports become. I've only used the expense reports side of things so I can't speak to the other services they offer. But 10 out of 10 would recommend this product, also VERY affordable and you can have on your computer, tablet & phone makingit so easy to use!

Nachteile: There are times my card/bank becomes unsynced. And it may only be a week at a time. This has happened a handful of times to me in the past 4+ years so not a deal breaker but just something to be aware of. The customer service is always yuck to fix whatever issue though :)

Super easy expense tracker for business, reimbursement, or personal

Bewertet am 1.5.2018
Web Content Manager
Möbel, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Helped me track my travel, business and personal expenses

Vorteile: Expensify is extremely easy to use. You simply take a picture of your receipt or invoice and it digitally reads the receipt, figuring out what it is for, the amount, the payment method, and the merchant. It's not always perfect at doing this, but it's usually pretty accurate. You can create "buckets" so you can keep your expenses separated by type, so if you need one for your work and one for your personal and one for your side job, they can all be separated. It's also great for trips or for tracking receipts for reimbursement. We used it at my church to track things we bought for the church, and I've used it on business trips to track my reimbursable expenditures. This is made easier by the fact that you can then run reports on your expenses so you can hand those over to the other party for reimbursement or expensing.

Nachteile: As I mentioned, the automatic detection feature is not always 100% accurate; some manual editing is sometimes required. Also, I've had some issues with the app freezing or the camera not working. Overall though, it manages to take most of the pain out of expense tracking.