Best instant 3D Residential Software I've ever used!

Bewertet am 28.5.2019
Todd S.
OWNER & DESIGNER
Architektur & Planung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I have been using Chief Architect since 2015. Before that I used AutoCAD for over 20 years. I've also used REVIT and Sketchup, but for what I do, which is Residential Design and Remodels, this program proved to be the most versatile. There is somewhat of a learning curve the first 6 months, but impressive when it comes to showing clients who have a difficult time envisioning 3D from 2D drawings. The customer support is really A+. They usually can figure out any problem I'm having or will consider a "work around" option that may still get me the desired effect.

Vorteile: The fact you can instantaneously see what you've drawn in 3D and that you can import models into the drawings as you need. Also it's constantly being updated with new useful features and better output results. KUDOS for the programmers. It's not flawless, but it is impressive for what the program can do. It has definitely made my work easier & faster. Also makes my services more marketable.

Nachteile: There are simple commands in AutoCAD that are not in Chief Architect that I wish could be there, like hatch, fillet, extend, trim, stretch, rotate, hatch, etc., so it's not the greatest to use when I do have to draft in 2D at times. You can do most of these but the way you have to get there is more time consuming. The result I get when I do a section through a building results in me having to create a DWG then editing it to remove extra lines I can see to get the final image I need. However, the time to do this is offset by not having to get the base drawing of the cross section done from scratch and I can see instantly if there is a problem with roof/ceiling heights, floors or any other issues. The training classes are too expensive for me and the SSA hurts my wallet but is worth having it.

TOTALLY NON-INTUITIVE

Bewertet am 23.3.2019
Mark H.
Consultant
Bau, Selbstständig

Kommentare: The speed of generating a 3D building for a client to see can be very quick, but the learning curve and the inherent limitations just made it not worth the effort. I spent 40+ hours trying to generate drawings for an existing house, while client made changes on the fly. I couldn't overcome the learning curve or the limitations in a timely fashion and not only didn't get paid, but lost the client.

Vorteile: As long as you want to do something already "canned" in the software, it's got some really sweet features. The immediate 3D renderings are outstanding!

Nachteile: There's very little about the program that is intuitive to the way CAD has been traditionally taught. And if you need to make an exception to what it "thinks is normal", OMG what a flippin' nightmare! IF you can get it to at all do what you want. The building of custom wall types: PITA!
I didn't want a footing, but piers for a pole barn: PITA!!! Not even possible to eliminate the footings!
Make a material change from sheet siding to lap board: PITA!!! Couldn't find a way to have it change ALL THE WALLS in 1 command. It would only allow me to change ONE stinkin' wall at a time. And THEN, I had to go back and do ALL of the gables, because gable walls aren't part of the walls of a house.

von Chief Architect an 1.4.2019

Thank you for the feedback. I think we can help with the issues you have described. Feel free to reach out to us at 208-292-3400 or sales@chiefarchitect.com
If you are changing exterior siding material you can do this easily in a number of ways depending on your preference. My recommendation is to change the siding material in your default exterior wall. This will change all the exterior walls at the same time. This setting is found here: File>Default Settings>Walls>Exterior Walls
Pole structures are a more manual process. We have a step by step help article on how to build pole buildings. Here is a link.

Owner and Principal Designer of Interior Design Firm

Bewertet am 27.12.2018
Real Estate Broker
Immobilien, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I recommend Chief Architect to all of my peers who own their firms as well. The technical support is beyond anything you could get from AutoCAD or SketchUp and the price makes it a much better product than Revit.

Vorteile: I use Chief Architect daily to draw designs for my clients and contractors. It's very easy to use and customize to specific clients or projects. I'm able to quickly and easily provide plans views, elevation views, and camera views in order to express an idea or check feasibility. I can present materials lists to my contractors, budgets to my clients, and keep track of how much time I'm spending on a project. If I ever have a question on how to do something, I can contact easily and get an answer quickly. I also sign in to the webinar trainings because there is always something new to learn or a faster, better way to do a task.

Nachteile: I wish more manufacturers participated and provided models for the software. I find myself using only CA available vendors on my projects when I need to act quickly.
The rendering portion of the software could be more developed.

Good, versatile product

Bewertet am 10.1.2019
Diane A.
Designer
Bau, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Chief Architect offers a wide variety of features to build and render properties, particularly for the novice user. The variety of structures that you can build is endless and the ability to insert custom materials into the design is so easy. Clients love seeing their new homes transformed.

Nachteile: Start up time should not be underestimated. New users should plan on investing a considerable amount of time reading documentation and watching the videos that are available online. It's nice that they have all of this available, as well as a live support center, although honestly, I found more luck figuring things out myself. Also, the roofing capability needs work. Except for the simplest roofs, users will need to manipulate the structures manually which is not an easy or intuitive task. I have lost data. I am talking an entire file was deemed worthless because of corrupted fixtures. Frequent back ups are advised. Finally, some features are overly complicated and it takes a while to figure them out. I have wasted a good amount of time sometimes just figuring out the simplest things.

von Chief Architect an 15.1.2019

Thank you for your comments and review. There is an auto backup feature that will make a back-up of your plan plus an archive feature that saves versions of your plan over time. Here is a link to a tech article on how to find these archive files. https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00099/accessing-your-archive-files.html

It is uncommon to have corrupt files like you are experiencing. Two things that come to mind that can cause this type of issue. 1. working with a plan from the cloud or network rather than locally or 2. the computer not meeting the minimum requirements. Also, migrating a plan or template from an old version to the new version can introduce an issue like this if the original file was corrupted.

Feel free to contact Chief Architect if we can be of assistance at 208-292-3400.

Do you have to release a new verion earch year?

Bewertet am 22.7.2019
Rachel J.
Architektur & Planung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: In the X11 version, views glitch when I zoom in and out, window labels display 2 (") inches measurement symbols when the " use default formatting" box is checked, material regions work on occasion, curved roofs are very finicky. There are other issues as well but the list is too long for this comment box.

Vorteile: It is a great software with a great many features.

Nachteile: I don't like that major bugs and kinks are never ironed out of the software before the release of a new version. I wish they would fix what is broken first. Each new release for the past 3 years seems to be worse and worse....

von Chief Architect an 23.7.2019

Thank you for the review and comments. I think we can help. There is an optimization you can make in preferences to fix the zoom and pan issue. For the double inch symbol is sounds like you may have inadvertently added that symbol to the macro in the label and have the use default formatting checked. You can reach out to our in house Tech Support for assistance with getting this resolved if needed.

QUICK RESIDENTIAL DESIGN MODELING MADE EASY

Bewertet am 27.6.2019
Stephen olawale J.
ARCHITECT
Bau, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: i have had to crash lot of residential design proposal, chief architect have being productive, giving me a good presentable 3D model, within a short time was amazing, I really don't have to put in some details, it generate them graphically automatically.i have recommended this app. to a friend to avoid delay of presentation.

Vorteile: The trial version is very helpful especially for novice in the industry who would like to learn, creating my residential designs and models are very much faster with Chief architect, the rendering are good for quick business but might not be the best but very presentable.and files in chief architect not too heavy for my system memory, it works pretty fast.

Nachteile: creating and modifying complex geometries with chief architect not feasible, if feasible modify is difficult, even the roof generated might not be my taste, editing roof is difficult,shell structures, complex space frame and trusses are not easy with this application, while generating the your simple residential design I just have to go with the generated roof forms, it just not flexible enough for me, but i prefer it when i need a quick simple residential design model done, i will not recommend chief architect for a detailed 2D Drawing,or working drawing it is best for 3D modeling of simple forms of residential buildings.

von Chief Architect an 8.7.2019

Thank you for the comments. Roof design is one of the more complex areas of the software. Here are some resources on manually editing roofs in Chief Architect that you may find helpful.

Playlist of roof design videos:

Great Quality and Value

Bewertet am 24.9.2018
Aaron H.
Estimator & PM
Bau, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: They have a great customer support. They have helped me on multiple occasions. I have the SSA package and it is well worth the value. Must have they will solve any issue you have.

Vorteile: This software is easy to use easy to learn. You don’t have to attend their classes because they have a great library of videos to help with the learning curve. They also have a great community of people working to help you solve problems. They respond quickly and are always helpful.

Nachteile: Nothing to dislike for me! This is great software for anyone wanting to get into this kind of design.

Architectural Designer

Bewertet am 16.2.2018
Jodey S.
Owner, Operator
Design, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I get the benefit of being able to generate a working drawing in short time compared to any other Cadd software as well as creating 3d visuals to aide in comprehension of design

Vorteile: Ease of learning and teaching, Fast plan creation, 3d rendering capabilities, Blocks, Symbols, All of it

Nachteile: Should be the industry standard above AutoCad, Priced a little on the high side, Materials takeoff is inaccurate and Import export

Steep learning curve, but the results are amazing

Bewertet am 11.5.2018
Chief Internal Auditor
Bankwesen, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Drew and submitted my own home plan and got it approved first try! The spacial orientation of furniture in the drawing also greatly assisted in getting the rooms just right as well as arranging electrical and water systems accurately. The software also allows for an estimate of all materials and fittings necessary to bring your plan to reality.

Vorteile: The wide range of textures, furnishings and finishes available, and the 3d walk through. Also allows for input of land features for full landscaping finish to product drawings.

Nachteile: Steep learning curve especially in the Plan Layout stages of finishing. Also the roofing tool takes a lot of practice to get the fancy roofing structures just right,

Chief Architect has quickly made creating models and layouts easier than ever before for us.

Bewertet am 5.6.2018
National Account Manager
1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: There are many features to take advantage of almost immediately. They make many of our common tasks such as floor-planning, creating shells, and dimensioning quick and easy.

Nachteile: With so many features, we were worried training materials would be hard to come by for our staff. On the contrary, it was extremely easy reaching customer support and training was a breeze.

Excellent program, very user friendly, great support

Bewertet am 4.4.2018
Nick C.
Project Developer
Bau

Vorteile: Chief Architect is a very powerful tool for creating plans and layouts for buildings. It is very easy to pickup and there is a number of official tutorials both on their website and YouTube that cover virtually everything the program has to offer. You can make as much or as little as you need in this program.

Nachteile: Some automatically generated walls and roofs come in incorrectly and can be very difficult to edit and manipulate. Often times there are work-arounds that suffice, but it can be overly cumbersome to edit.

Amazing tool!

Bewertet am 18.10.2018
Amie S.
Design, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Once you learn how to use it, you can “build” anything and decorate it,

Nachteile: The learning curve is steep to begin with, but stick it out. It is an amazing tool to help your clients see your vision.

High productivity for not so high a price

Bewertet am 14.12.2017
Jason M.
Owner/Operator
Architektur & Planung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: This software allowed me to obtain skill in its use through it's "grow up" scale, starting from early home versions working up to the top line business version. It allows the creation of a rendering fairly easily, at a reasonable if not top-notch quality, which provides quite a bit of bang for the buck.

Vorteile: I like that the system is automated enough to allow you to design and render the building without having to worry about every little detail of how to draw every little line or manually setting every light and texture for rendering, but flexible enough to allow a wide variety of building styles.

Nachteile: It's not the industry standard, so unless you are the company owner or principal architect, don't expect to enter the job market as a proficient Chief user. This stuff is mostly used by one and two man shops who can't afford to hire. Most hiring is temporary and/or freelance, and that market is quite competitive.

poor software

Bewertet am 25.3.2017
Greg D.

Kommentare: I purchased an updated version chief architect X6. I have used previous versions for years on a PC and was assured it would run great on a Mac. I downloaded the software to my Mac which was running the minimum system requirements (Mavericks) listed on the chief architect website. I had issues with this software working from the start, i.e. when I would open or try to edit a dialog box it would open a new window behind all previous open windows. Since this computer was a few years old I mistakenly thought it was an issue with my computer. I purchased a new Mac to run the software and ran into the same issues as before. I put up with these problems for more than a year before I contacted chief architect looking for a fix for their software. I was informed by a chief architect tech that this was a known issue that their software developers were aware of and had fixed in later versions and that the only solution to this issue was to upgrade the software. After being transferred to a sales associate I was informed that I would have to pay over money to chief architect to get a version of the software that would work. I told him that I have already purchased software from chief architect and that they need to fix the issue with the version I have or they should stand behind their product and upgrade it for free. I made a complaint with the senior supervisor/manager who informed me that since they could not re-create the issue in house and that I am now currently using an updated Mac with the (Sierra) operating system they would not stand behind there software. Under system requirements for X6 it lists that you need a minimum operating system of (Mountain Lion / Mavericks) nowhere does it say if you have a newer operating system that their software will not work. I would like to see chief architect stand behind the product I've spent thousands of dollars on. So far this has been one of the worst customer experiences I've ever had and I definitely feel I have been ripped off by chief architect.

Light Years Ahead of Other CAD Programs

Bewertet am 12.7.2019
Relationship Manager
Versicherung, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: After years of using Revit, I had the opportunity to try out Chief Architect recently. Needless to say, I am hooked! CA is a quick study for experienced CAD users and performs exponentially faster that other programs I have used. The ray trace rendering feature is helpful but could be improved by allowing users to render in the cloud as other CAD programs (Autodesk products in particular) do. For designers who want to produce high-quality 3D representations of their work and generate construction documents and elevations, Chief Architect is well worth the investment!

Vorteile: Ease of use; graphics; available options for materials and finishes; ability to import and edit SKP files

Nachteile: Even with rental options, could be a bit expensive for new designers; rendering in the cloud is not an available option at this time

This is a very good software for architecture or home design. It has helped me in several projects

Bewertet am 17.10.2017
Ana L.
Co Owner

Kommentare: Very useful for my property management business

Vorteile: I'm a small business of property management and short-rental, I use the Home Suite version for my projects when preparing new properties. It's a very complete and versatile product. It helps to redesign the space you have in several version and choose the best of it.

Nachteile: It's not a very user friendly tool and for the version I use, I think the catalog could be better.

Premier software for residential home design

Bewertet am 20.2.2018
Doug G.
Bau, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Increased sales from a great presentation.

Vorteile: We've been wowing our customers for years thanks to Chief Architect. We love how they keep improving the software every year.

Nachteile: They RayTrace rendering takes a bit to get a crisp rendering. Might need to upgrade the speed on my computer though.

Best Design Software Out There!!

Bewertet am 10.11.2018
Lauren F.
Designer/Admin
Bau, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Rendering capabilities far exceed any other design software I've ever used. Very user-friendly and easy to use.

Nachteile: Would love for Chief to implement a cabinet quoting feature (similar to 2020 or ProKitchen) that would make it easier to order cabinetry designed in Chief.

Not this time, Chief Architect guys

Bewertet am 10.5.2018
Agnieszka S.
Landscape Architect

Kommentare: None

Vorteile: Great for technical users who want at once have 3D view. Easy way to draw simply to very complex arch. details.

Nachteile: Not this time. Products from 2017/2018 stinks... Support is doing great job with this. Software is not following after new graph. cards drivers. No compatibility with windows 10 updates. Causing so many problems...after 10 years of using ChA products, I try something else. By, by Chief!

Amazing

Bewertet am 19.9.2018
Eddie G.
Employee
Bau, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Amazing interface. Increasingly easy to use.

Vorteile: Easy to navigate. Easy to connect with.

Nachteile: Some features have a tendency to be slow.

Designer's Best Friend

Bewertet am 11.4.2019
Ciera C.
Interior Designer
Design, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I really love this software for light remodeling and construction. You can quickly create plans for builders and permitting. The software is geared towards residential use with lots of good options to fill the spaces with. It also makes 3-D renderings and screenshots fairly quick and high quality for client presentations.

Nachteile: The software tries to think for you and is sometimes wrong. I found difficulties connection multiple roof lines and had issues with staircases every now and then.

Best I've tried

Bewertet am 21.8.2016
Fred O.
Architektur & Planung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I have tried a lot of other design programs but keep coming back to Chief , I have found it to be the best overall.

von Chief Architect an 22.8.2016

Thanks Fred! We're so glad to be a part of your design process.

Chief architect.

Bewertet am 8.5.2019
Designer
Architektur & Planung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Good 2d components.
It is flexible.
Light in size and flexible.

Nachteile: Poor render quality.
Not realistic.
Not very useful, it is not best for replacement.

von Chief Architect an 9.5.2019

Thank you for reviewing our product. If you are using our Chief Architect Premier or Interiors version, there are several levels of rendering quality. Our highest quality rendering is done by using the "Raytrace" feature. Raytracing produces photorealistic rendering, but it takes time to complete a raytraced scene. A recent feature added to Chief Architect is "Physically Based Rendering" (PBR). This is a real time view with raytrace like quality. Finally, our "Standard Render" is the most basic rendering, but many like to use this view for day to day design work. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about rendering at 208-292-3400 or email sales@chiefarchitect.com

Easy program to use

Bewertet am 5.9.2017
Riccardo F.
Business Process Manager

Vorteile: This is a great program, even for users that are beginners (like myself). They have great tutorials and the program is very inexpensive.

Nachteile: There is not much bad to say about it, you do have to buy additional modules if you want to do more; however, overall this is a great piece of software.

von Chief Architect an 6.9.2017

Thank you, Riccardo!

Beautiful Renderings

Bewertet am 2.11.2018
Michele A.
Design, Selbstständig

Kommentare: This software is easy to use and the render quality is superb. It definitely helps me sell a design.

Vorteile: This software is perfect for kitchen and bath remodel designs.

Nachteile: Some things are complicated, such as putting a cut out in the wall or getting a good camera angle in a small space.