Articulate Storyline

Articulate Storyline Bewertungen

von Articulate Global

An extremely intuitive and easy-to-use authoring tool

Bewertet am 14.5.2018
John H.
Founder & Creative Director

Kommentare: This is a great all-around authoring tool which can be used by both beginners for quick solutions and also experts to create high-quality learning experiences.

Vorteile: Storyline is one of the easiest and most intuitive rapid authoring tools on the market. Not only is it easy to use, it also has a large support network in the form of the e-learning heroes site which provides the solution to your issues and answers to your questions from a supportive community. Due to its intuitive design, it is easy to pick up and can be then used to create both simple and complex activity courses.

Nachteile: The main con is that you do need to have the latest version of Storyline to really benefit as the support from Storyline 2 has ended which means that anything created on those versions will have issues with browsers as they evolve.

The best in rapid eLearning Development

Bewertet am 12.11.2019
Calum F.
Employee Success Consultant

Kommentare: I think Storyline is the absolute pinnacle of rapid eLearning development software. It's intuitive, feature packed and just works well.

Vorteile: Easy to use. Advanced actions in highly interactive courses are so easy to design and build. I have some previous experience as a developer in flash, so I can be quite creative in my ambitions - as of yet, I'm yet to find anything that can not be built using triggers and variables. Having been a long time user of Adobe Captivate, I often had to add code to achieve similar functionality in my course builds.

Nachteile: There are times that a course file just corrupts and cannot be saved. This is very infrequent - it has happened to me a few times. Often, you can save it by ensuring you save a new version of the course. However, I have found when working intensively overnight on a course build,. the file corrupted and I had to start the build almost from scratch. It wouldnt discourage me from using this software over any alternatives.

Great for creating online webinars

Bewertet am 4.1.2020
Richard R.
Implementation

Kommentare: Storyline is great for creating LMS courses once you get passed the learning curve.

Vorteile: I like how you can publish courses in different formats and how you can preview a slide, scen, or the course before publishing saving a lot of time.

Nachteile: The software is not easy to learn. It has a steep learning curve. I suggest your users learn how to use layers which will make things a lot easier to understand.

Storyline is Good - Could be Better

Bewertet am 7.11.2019
James B.
Dir. Sales and Marketing
E-Learning, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Great tool for creating/editing e-learnings. Will need to take some courses to become proficient in it as it's not the easiest software to learn. Customer care is not always the best as they will point you to a blog of other IDs who are posing questions and relaying on other IDs to build that. Storyline support should be able to answer more questions than relying on their users to answer them.

Vorteile: Overall features are great for designing e-learning courses. Overall user friendly. Ability to publish in multiple ways including SCORM, PPT, etc. Streamlines the creation of elearning courses

Nachteile: While overall its easy to user, there are some features that are missing from Storyline and require you to build using java script. Thus in order to be a master of Storyline, you also have to be a master of java script. If the software can do something, it should be able to be built using the software, not going somewhere else.

Great software but needs some serious updating

Bewertet am 7.12.2016
Russell S.
E-Learning

Kommentare: I have been an Articulate StoryLine user since it came out in about 2013. It took a while, but once I learned how to use it, I was able to create hundreds of amazing e-course modules and interactive games. It became one of my favorite software development tools allowing me to do things I never dreamed possible and really impressed (and expanded) my clients. Support was okay. But I never really had to submit a support ticket. Articulate has the best community and I was usually able to get the help I needed from moderators or other community members. However, I can relate to Chris' frustration. For example, StoryLine has the capability to execute javascript which greatly expands what you can do with it. But the stock answer when you have a javascript question is ... "Sorry, we don't provide support for javascript; perhaps someone in the community can help you out." Fortunately for me, there was always someone well versed with javascript that was willing to share their code. Recently, it is becoming apparent that StoryLine has some major shortcomings, and that Articulate has been slow in adding new features and enhancements in response to client requests. These include such things as a) inability to use with high-res monitors; b) no capability to e-mail results to admin or user; c) no feature to have background audio across all slides (see Chris' review); d) no capability to publish only HTML5 output; e) poor quality of HTML5 published output that does NOT work well on many mobile devices; f) no responsive design capability; g) no capability to send results to a database; h) very slow player response on timeline when synchronizing animations and no true scrubber; and several other issues. In Nov. 2016, Articulate released 360 which bundled all of their current programs into one annual subscription (which is way too expensive for us to even consider). StoryLine 2 as a stand-alone product is still available and Articulate claims that StoryLine 3 will be available sometime in 2017. However, whether SL3 will address the major shortcomings of us and others, remains unknown. Therefore, to meet our needs for course development in an ever changing technological environment, we are currently exploring alternative e-learning software development tools. Our leading candidate is Captivate 9. It appears to have all the features missing in StoryLine (and much more). Also, it appears that CP9 is a much better value.

Expensive But Worth It If You Are Do E-Learning

Bewertet am 1.6.2018
Joseph D.
Instructional Designer (Contractor; Working Remote with On-Site Meetings)
Verbraucherdienste, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Since I do a lot of e-learning and all of it is on Articulate Storyline, it is a must but it has serious deficiencies and that is compounded by the fact that the customer service is utterly deceptive. If you need an e-learning tool, this is the best one even though it costs as much as it does. It is worth it. However, you need to be ready to understand a few things quickly. One thing you will learn is that they offer a discussion board and they have staff who are there to patrol and respond and help users, but it is not a help desk. When it comes to asking why something doesn't work, you will be told much of the time that it is working as designed but if it isn't quite right that you should submit a feature request and they don't do that for you as they should if they cared about the direction of the software. You should also know that there are many things about the product design that simply make no sense to anyone but the designers. They focus more on new features rather than fixing persistent problems that users continually complain about.

Vorteile: There is really no other software for publishing e-learning that is as easy to use and has the best non-programmer customization as Articulate Storyline. I absolutely love what you can do with it and how it can be used in many, many ways.

Nachteile: I absolutely hate three things about Articulate Storyline. I hate the enormous cost. I hate the way they handle their customer support and the way they deal with their own product development. If the product didn't cost as much as it does, then these other issues would not be so terrible, but because we pay so much for it, there really should be excellent customer support and excellent product development.

A modern, clean and refined take on a publishing tool.

Bewertet am 12.6.2019
Rameez B.
Content Developer
Einzelhandel, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We switched from Captivate to Storyline and 360. I enjoy it alot more as it feels and looks more modern. The content they provide is above par and well worth it as it all comes together amazingly even when you switch them up. I would just like to see more timing options. Other than that I highly recommend this product.

Vorteile: My pros are: 1. Easy to understand and user friendly
2. Much smoother when playing back content
3. Allows for the addition of templates which can be downloaded at any time
4. Intergeates well with other software such as a LMS when using published files

Nachteile: I would like to see the option to allow more audio to be added. For example, if I have two images on the slide, I would like to be able to attach an audio file to either image and not just have one audio file. I would also like to see more timing options.

Great generalist product

Bewertet am 20.11.2019
Yves S.
Senior training consultant
Personalwesen, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I have used it for years for all of my clients and it still covers most, if not all of their needs. Use it in cunjunction with a good understanding of javascript, xapi and css and you have an amazing little tool.

Vorteile: Storyline is the easiest to use yet most complete e-learning software that I use and recommend to my clients. It is very straightforward and most functionnalities that you would need in an e-learning modules are there.

Nachteile: The cost is pretty steep for the desktop version. So for companies that aren't cloud friendly yet, you have to buy, manage and attribute licenses.

360 vs Storyline 3

Bewertet am 7.11.2019
Keith L.
Automotive, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We needed a top of the line elearning software authoring tool.

Vorteile: This software is the industry standard for elearning. They are on the cutting edge of advancements when it comes to the elearning world.

Nachteile: You are presented with two options when purchasing. I lifetime license to the software that costs as much as a one-year subscription or a subscription base. If you purchase just storyline you lose a lot of features and updates are released far behind the subscription updates.

Articulate Storyline Review

Bewertet am 20.1.2020
Product Manager
Restaurants, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I would recommend using articulate to create internal/external training materials for your employees/students.

Vorteile: I used this particular software while working as a Graduate Assistant at my university. I loved making training materials using Articulate Storyline software. It provides simplistic view to the training materials and easy to understand.

Nachteile: Initial setup of this software was a bit cumbersome but once proper material and guidance was provided it was easy to walk through the software.

My bread and butter Elearning package

Bewertet am 22.10.2019
Patrick H.
Manager of Technical Training
Telekommunikation, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall, it's been great. Our whole training program now relies on Articulate. I could craft courses with Powepoint, and the embedded functionality of the LMS, or use another package but it would take longer and the end product wouldn't be as good. Their support is really good, and even though I've had issues from time to time, We've managed either a workaround or a fix fairly quickly.

Vorteile: It's very easy to use, almost intuitive. Basically, if you understand how to use powerpoint, you'll be very comfortable with this software. It has a lot of built-in functionality, as compared to Captivate. You can publish nice courses with little effort. Put some effort to learn it's advanced features, and you can craft stunning courses. I've used this since version 1, and Studio before that. It gets better and better.
They have a great, useful user forum, and attentive support.

Nachteile: I've had a couple instances where upgrades broke our lessons, the most recent being with Update 6. It was crashing the lessons if there was a quiz or survey. It was a SCORM issue. Our LMS toes the line, hard, on SCORM and the incompatibility caused me misery. I had to revert. Previous to that, upgrading courses from version 2 to version 3 caused the LMS to stop tracking and send warnings. The solution ended up being not to upgrade, but import the content in a new course. Not totally Articulate's fault, but rather a compatibility issue.

The best E-Leaning Authoring System by far, but with a steep learning curve and no Macro capability

Bewertet am 21.12.2017
Lewis E.
VP

Vorteile: Best Authoring Program by Far
Most features
Microsoft PowerPoint Style
Great Exemplary Support
Very Powerful
Continuous addition of new features
Excellent Review System
Powerful Testing & Feedback Capability
Integrated Audio & Video Editing
Rarely ever crashes
Large library of Tutorials
This is a really great program for developing E-Learning and training lessons and courses. The program is loaded with capability. I have never seen a program that does so much. For example, iif you want to have an audio track, you don't need any other software to record and edit the audio. It is all built in. If you want to add a vid I have been creating and supervising e-learning courses for decades and there is none that comes even close to Articulate Storyline in power, features and capability. Storyline looks and feels very much like Microsoft Powerpoint. I think that they have an arrangement with Microsoft to use much of the PowerPoint code as processes like editing a photo is exactly the same. So using it is very easy and comfortable. Most of the commands are familiar and function just as in PowerPoint. The support is incredibly good. And you will need it because there is so much capability in Storyline that there is a huge amount to learn. Agents respond and will even create a video to show you how.

Nachteile: Some operations are very slow
No Macro Capability
Very steep learning curve
Expensive
Very limited availability to send e-mails
Biggest negative is the very high price and the pricing rules. Each user has to have a license. This is a killer if you have developers, supervisors, subject matter experts, and editors. each needs a license. For a program of such power and so Microsoft like, it is surprising that you cannot customize the ribbons and worse, there is no macro capability. So repetitive tasks are burdensome. There is an incredibly steep learning curve. Expect to spend at least 12 hours on tutorials before you can do anything other than trivia. And even then, you will only know a fraction of what you can do. I have used Storyline for over 2 years and every week or so I find a new thing that I can do and have to take a few minutes to learn that. Given all the support, the high price is in a sense justified but it still is a big investment of cash and your time if you want to use StoryLine. But you do get the best. There are dozens of little things that they haven't programmed that would seem easy. Like you cannot send an e-mail to the learner in the middle or a course. Or if you want a glossary for many lessons there is no way of maintaining the glossary for all. If you add a new term, you must do so separately for each lesson The program does so much that several of the functions are really slow. Previewing and publishing are the worst.

Storyline is very user friendly and allows you to create customised courses.

Bewertet am 29.7.2018
Learning Experience Designer

Kommentare: It is our preferred eLearning development software. I love it!

Vorteile: What I like most about this program is how user-friendly it is. When I first started using Storyline, I found it easy to get the hang of it and it wasn't long until I was creating courses without any assistance. I also love the icons feature that is available in Storyline 360. I use it a lot and can't imagine developing without it now. I also like that if I need support, most questions have been asked online on Storyline forums. They always provide detailed explanations of how to do certain things and other users are also helpful in sharing what they know. The fact that the program has a community of supporters leaves me feeling confident that I can figure out any problem that I have. Storyline is definitely my preferred eLearning development software.

Nachteile: There are a few program features that I would love added. I would love to be able to specify exactly how curved corners on shapes are (the yellow boxes that you drag) rather than doing it by eye. I also think updating the alt-text for accessibility should not be split by elements within an object but as an object as a whole (for example icons picking up on individual shapes rather than the icon as whole).

Hands down the best and easiest authoring tool

Bewertet am 3.6.2019
Donna L.
Training Manager
Rechtsberatung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: This is an expensive solution but overall, it's the best purchase we've made for Authoring

Vorteile: This is so much easier to use than anything else our team has tried. We can easily create a PowerPoint presentation and then convert it to and Articulate Storyline file. This means that a lot of the legwork is done before we even begin working in Articulate

Nachteile: Things start getting a little difficult when we are creating tests/quizzes in Articulate. There are a lot of options and we have to be extremely thorough and detail oriented when it comes to creating pre/post exams for the relevant courses.

Articulate Storyline Review

Bewertet am 12.2.2019
Instructional Designer
Krankenhausversorgung & Gesundheitswesen, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Articulate Storyline has taken our company into 21st century technology! We were behind the times until we started creating courses using Storyline. We have a larger library of courses to offer our employees that are engaging and interactive since using Articulate Storyline.

Vorteile: Being new to the eLearning course world, using Articulate has allowed me and my team to create high quality, engaging courses for our company. We create courses for over 1,000 employees and we went from PowerPoint style courses to Storyline courses in a matter of one year. Employees rave about the style, design, interactivity and engaging courses we create. We did not receive those reviews before using Articulate Storyline.

Nachteile: Articulate Storyline takes some getting used to and definitely some training before getting started. It's not exactly intuitive unless you are using Rise. The Storyline 360 takes some trial and error and I highly recommend taking their tutorials or any course that teaches the ins and outs of the product. The more you are in there creating, the easier it is to use.

I have SL2 and love how interactive I can make my courses. I have been using it for three years.

Bewertet am 10.1.2018
Instructional Designer Specialist
Hochschulbildung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Mainly information on ID best practices and some "how tos" from their blog and community. It can be really engaging and fun to create a course using SL2. I like their templates as they are easy to customize. However, now there is SL3 and 360, so getting help or templates for SL2 are few and far between.

Vorteile: The free templates are amazing. I love their community site that is up-to-date on LD trends and challenges. Everyone that has taken one of my courses on SL2 likes how fun and engaging they can be. I can add all types of file formats, different types of quizzes, interaction, and multimedia.

Nachteile: I never seem to feel like an expert as some of the functions/interactions are hard to create. I went to a two day training on SL2 and it didn't teach me enough as I am still trying to figure out variables and how they work. Sometimes the E-Learning Heroes take days to get back to me if I have an issue and don't always explain in detail how to correct the issue.

Perfect tool for avid developers

Bewertet am 20.7.2018
Instructional Designer
Computer-Software

Vorteile: I love how intuitive the UI is - very similar to the familiar Office suite. Tons of triggers, animations, and media types to make great elearning. Especially useful is the layers function, which makes it easier to create rich media and manage the source files. Lots of my clients really appreciate the review site and our communication there, and it makes it easier for me to manage feedback!

Nachteile: You definitely need to be an expert in order to make the most of this tool; while a novice may be able to create objects and basic animations, you've got to dive pretty deep to use all of the features. You'd be surprised that the elearning courses you've taken before which look like they are built by the most creative developers and designers are actually done in Storyline. It's also insanely expensive and make it cost prohibitive for most.

Still number 1

Bewertet am 15.2.2019
Steven M.
Director of Learning and Development
Gesundheit, Wellness & Fitness, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I am able to turn out hundreds of software training courses with a small team because of this tool.

Vorteile: This product allows a non coder like myself produce high quality SCORM content with a custom look and feel. It also allows my team to rapidly produce and edit content, which we were able to produce over 100+ courses in one year with a 3 person team.

Nachteile: More and more of my work is around video, and the tool is very limited. The compression is not very good, and have to use video software to tweak the compression and turns Storyline's off. Also, the player seekbar breaks in many browsers then seeking. You can use the default video player, however you loose valuable screen space and it is an old ugly grey which my clients do not like. Also the size of video is an issue. I know of all the available work arounds but really wish this was more plug and play.

Great Tool for Developing Interactive Learning Experiences

Bewertet am 29.12.2018
ELearning Lead Developer
Einzelhandel, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Before I used Storyline for eLearning development I used Authorware and then Flash. With Authorware and Flash I felt I could do anything I wanted to do! With Storyline, there are some constraints, but development is much quicker than with Flash. I still don't like it as well as Authorware, but Storyline is growing on me after 2.5 years of use.

Vorteile: Very good tutorials for beginning users, triggers allow for some programming without actually writing code, easy to quickly develop branching scenarios and highly interactive training modules, nice features such as markers for optional information and simple video and sound editing (minimal but still handy). Another pro is the huge community of users and the forum (hosted and moderated by Articulate).

Nachteile: Can be buggy. Triggers allow for some programming, but there is no equivalent to arrays, which can be frustrating.

Easy to use but sometimes limited in features

Bewertet am 1.10.2019
Rob W.
E-Learning, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We create e-learning modules for our blended learning teachings.

Vorteile: The software is easy to use and has quite some options. It is not a web-based service which means no expensive returning costs.

Nachteile: Often you have to be very creative to find solutions for seemingly simple problems. The use of variables is limited and often does not work as intended. Support consists of asking forums for help which, in our experience, seldom does really help. Or there is a technical engineer that often does not really help because emails are not read properly.
The biggest drawback is that there is no option to batch export projects which means we often have to open, export, produce dozens of project files one by one.

Storyline - the best hands down!

Bewertet am 8.1.2015
Melissa J.
eLearning Designer

Kommentare: Articulate had been listening to its users and working busily to provide us with a tool that offered many of the features we had been asking for. I feel that the company really stands behind its product. The community offers so many valuable resources: ' helpful community managers who always try to answer questions quickly and clearly
' a way to network with other users and share insights and creative ideas
' weekly challenges to keep us engaged and thinking
' a whole library of downloadable content
Tom Kulhman and David Anderson are phenomenal ' they are experts in the field of eLearning and course design and are always eager to share their knowledge, ideas, and tips/tricks. I feel like I never stop learning, growing, and getting better because Articulate supports me. I'm not just a nameless software user ' I'm a community member and they care about my success and my opinion. Articulate provides helpful tutorials for everything ' I like that they include a video demonstration AND a text version of each tutorial. First-time users can get started with very little training or experience. It's the most user-friendly eLearning development software on the market, with a very low learning curve!

You can easily import PPT files or other Articulate projects. We've had no problem converting any of our older Studio projects into Storyline projects. Reusable content is a huge time-saver, and Storyline makes it very easy to create and reuse content.
I love that Storyline comes with some pre-built slide layouts and interactions. Even a beginner can engage learners in their courses ' Articulate has done the work for them! The software grows with the user ' you can make your courses as simple or complex as you desire. Articulate has included some powerful tools (like variables) which allow us to create games, interactive content, whatever we can imagine. I'd love the ability to loop background music in my course, or the ability to use format painter to apply text formatting to my slide notes.

Storyline Review

Bewertet am 10.4.2019
Doral A.
E-Learning, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Storyline has been my favorite eLearning software for many years. I like the online community to get help from other professionals and templates. Storyline enables us to develop highly interactive and engaging online courses. The hot spot interaction was very helpful for a few courses that other interactions could not provide the same training.

Nachteile: We tried Storyline 360 and had too many issues when updating our Storyline 2 courses. 360 would randomly change some text in the course which was frustrating. We did upload the fonts as directed but it did not fix the issue so we are staying with Storyline 2 for now since we bought multiple licenses.

Storyline Changed My Development Cycle

Bewertet am 21.11.2014
Sam S.
eLearning Instructional Design Specialist

Kommentare: Over the past 15 years, since 1999, I've been developing eLearning in a variety of industries - education, health care, human resources, physician offices, community colleges, manufacturing and tourism. Originally, I developed in Authorware, then Firefly, then RoboDemo, then Camtasia (scary long list!) and then Captivate. The common denominator here was that each of these products (okay, maybe not so true of Camtasia) had a good size learning curve to adapt to the toolset and to get a project from inception to published content. Knowing that Articulate was behind Storyline, and having been an avid fan of Tom's blog ("The Rapid e-Learning Blog") - I was keen to check out what Storyline had to offer and I wasn't disappointed. The time that it took me to build my first, interactive course was super fast and, I have to say, I love(d) the GUI. And, yes, it's very PowerPoint like but I love that - I didn't have to relearn a new tools menu or deal with silly palettes that float. Now, I'm able to speed through production like never before (although, I don't tell too many of my clients how fast the cycle truly is!) - thanks to Storyline. The organic nature of the trigger and layer setup is ideal and I do have to say that the photographic character bundles are an added plus - the competition tried to copy this, but I don't think they have the same feel. And then there's the tutorials. There are tons of them and they are super appropriate (supplemented by Tom's blog) and I don't ever need to call for support (not true for some of the competitor products) so that's a big plus. The Community functions (the social bits) are pretty stellar, too. I can always visit the various support/community sites to get inspired, even on those days when I'm tired of looking at triggers. I highly recommend Storyline to anyone who has a similar background - education and graphics - it's a great tool to make that marriage everlasting and super conceptual.

Articulate for eLearning

Bewertet am 7.12.2018
Michaela P.
eLearning Instructional Designer and QA Expert
E-Learning, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I use Storyline to design eLearning and also review eLearning courses that others create. I've seen really cool eLearning modules that were created in Storyline, you'd be surprised how powerful this tool really is!

Vorteile: I love that you don't have to be an engineer and you can create beutiful eLearning modules using Articulate Storyline. It looks similar to Microsoft products which makes it easier for newbies to learn.

Nachteile: It's super buggy. I'm not sure if it's the developers or what's going on, but when I do QA review for Articulate courses, it takes hours and hours to deal with all the bugs. It drives everyone crazy. But we still won't switch, we love Articulate. Go figure.

Best tool for developing modules and for e-learning domain

Bewertet am 20.9.2019
Sameer K.
Lead Associate Training
E-Learning, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Best ever easy and functional tool ever made in eLearning domain as other tools in the market is not even in a queue.

Vorteile: Best for developing any level module with ease and take lesser time as compared to another tool in the market. Having layers for interaction and we can do a lot more thing with it.
It is having a responsive player which is required for staying top in the market and no need to devloped multiple times as other tools.

Nachteile: It is having online and offline tool variant online is at most updated and ofline version takes time to get that update, so the user needs to develop modules accordingly.