Using a ledger and excel spreadsheet VERY time consuming and this has simplified everything

Bewertet am 2.12.2017
Bill S.
Chair of Deacons & program administator

Vorteile: ease of data input the reports program they have kept it simple but with many programs within it at an affordable cost simple but detailed.

Nachteile: not sure if I have one could use more choices in date of input categories so you can run specific reports for those of us who can't do SQL set up.

von Software4Nonprofits an 6.12.2017

Thank you for this review, Bill. I'm not sure I understand the listed Con - many built-in reports allow for selection on a range of dates, and optionally on a donation category. Further selection can be done with Filter expressions, a fairly simple feature that does not require SQL. In fact, writing SQL is only required for the most unusual situations, by far fewer than 1% of our users. If you would like to explain where you are finding limitations in report selection, I'm quite sure we could explain how to do what you want. (The Help topic Filtering Reports will be very helpful.) You can contact us further directly by email.

Donation Program from Software4Nonprofits

Bewertet am 26.10.2016
Don E.
Envelope Secretary

Kommentare: An exceedingly good program. I have been using it since 2014 and would not consider any other program. Excellent support! No flaws that I have encountered. Strongly recommended! There are many reports available within the program, probably all that anyone would need, but if you would like some other report it is not too difficult to create one and it can be memorized for future use. We are not currently using the Accounts program, because the church treasurer prefers to use QuickBooks, with which he is more familiar. I have used Accounts for several months and personally found it to be excellent. I would recommend both programs.

Vorteile: Ease of use, very good reports, excellent and very fast support from Dan Cooperstock who developed the software. You don't communicate with someone working at a distant call centre, it is either Dan Cooperstock or Kwame Barko who answer your questions.

Nachteile: There is nothing I do not like.

Perfect Fit

Bewertet am 27.10.2013
Susan A.
Financial Secretary

Kommentare: After searching ( and I do mean SEARCHING) the internet for an easy to use, to-the-point software for recording charitable giving, I ran across Donation software created by Dan Cooperstock. I wasn't looking for a membership program, and I didn't need to record everyone's birthdates, groups, and blood types. I also wasn't interested in paying an arm and a leg. Donation software has been a blessing. I'm a little disappointed in email options for reports. Unless something has changed since I purchased it, you can't email reports to multiple recipients without saving the document as a PD, attaching the document to an email, and sending it your separate email program. We have several people in our church who receive a summary of each deposit, and it sure would be handy if I could do that. I've gotten into my routine of saving the report and including it as an attachment, so it's not the end of the world. Additionally, so far I haven't figured out how to easily build a report for a single fund/donation category. There are committees in the church who need a report on only one fund from time to time (i.e. memorial, capital building campaign, etc.) Those things being said, I'd still highly recommend this program to anyone who asked, and I'm grateful someone saw the need to create it. There's one caveat, and it is that I haven't gone through a year end. However, if it's as seamless as the weekly recording/deposits, there'll be no problem. Pros: Price is right. Easy to use. Intuitive. Report appearance is attractive. Cons: Report options aren't extensive when it comes to single donation categories and emailing.

Donation Software Very Suitable

Bewertet am 13.7.2009
Robert V.
Clerk

Kommentare: There are many features I have not investigated as they have not been my priority. If you think of one, it is probably already implemented.
I find it a good program for tracking our church's donations.

Vorteile: * This software is simple to install and get you started on data entry.
* It grows on you as you become more familiar with it's operation.
* It is versatile in that it can be used for several entities. i.e. we have a Mission Church in Toronto which is part of our ministry and the records for that ministry can be separated or integrated into our overall book-keeping.
* It has a quick data entry feature called "One date donation entry" which we use for data entry from weekly offerings.
* It has multiple report forms.
* Easy to migrate from year to year.
* Prints Donation receipts per Canada Revenue Agency specs.
* Restricted functions with Limited user access.
* Easy backup and restore feature.
* Pricing relative to size of your organization.
* If you have a good idea on a feature not included, notify the software writer and he is very willing to investigate implementation.

Nachteile: * I'm reluctant to give access to another operator as I have slight fear it may be hard to find errors in data entry. My motto is: If you want it done right, do it yourself.
* Reports require some programming knowledge to filter reports.

Directly addresses the exact needs of a church treasurer - without unneeded complications.

Bewertet am 6.2.2018
Kevin E.
Treasurer

Kommentare: Saves time and provides peace of mind.

Vorteile: No doubt, ending year including receipting and starting next year. Or maybe correcting errors from year ended. Or maybe notifications and changes as required from changes to Revenue Canada. Or maybe the immediate response when needed.

Nachteile: Sometimes it opens with a dialogue that my subscription is not up to date. Knowing it is, I close and reopen and proceed....

von Software4Nonprofits an 8.2.2018

Thanks for the lovely review, Kevin!

If the program starts with a message that your subscription isn't up to date, but it is, that just means that you need to request an updated license key through the program, which will tell it that you are in fact up to date. We explain that in our email responses to payments.

Great-Easy to Use Program!

Bewertet am 17.2.2017
Kim M.
Non-Profit-Organisation Management, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I love this program. I am the administrator for 3 non-profit businesses. This program is very user friendly. It has a great 'help' section. The program developer/administrator is very quick to respond to my questions and very easy to work with. I could not be happier with the program and their service.

Vorteile: Easy to use and understand

Nachteile: I really have not found one.

Simple & easy to use donor receipting program.

Bewertet am 21.4.2018
Mark M.
Non-Profit-Organisation Management, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: It is easy to learn & great for small nonprofits with limited resources. Can be used immediately for receipt.

Vorteile: Straightforward database program with some flexibility in producing receipts. Easy-to-use - effective to grow with your organization.

Nachteile: Some technical expertise is required for using mail merge & using your receipt formats. Older database type program that is only available on local computer or networked computer.

von Software4Nonprofits an 24.4.2018

Thank you for this review, Mark. I should also point out that our new Web Network Version allows you to have your database on our server, with the program still installed on your Windows computer, for easier sharing over the Internet.

Makes keeping track of Church donations easy.

Bewertet am 26.2.2018
Clinical Director for Theatres, Anaesthesia & Critical Care
Krankenhausversorgung & Gesundheitswesen, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Provided a well designed database to replace a spreadsheet. Ease of data entry.

Vorteile: Able to enter donations based on date received as well as by donor. Produces report at end of financial year for treasurer and for tax reclaim. Able to import donations given directly to bank via editing a spreadsheet download from the bank.

Nachteile: As based in Canada and USA does not quite fit UK system, although accounting year is now possible based on UK fiscal calendar.

Great program

Bewertet am 30.1.2019
Sharon H.
Receptionist/Bookkeeper
Gesundheit, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: It gives us a place to combine our info about all of our donations, donor base and allows us to group them as to the type of resource - be it a church, a business, individual, and even lets us categorize the types of payment.

Vorteile: The program is easy to use, mostly self-explanatory and logical. If help is needed the help is there in short order. Very comprehensive program.

Nachteile: I can't complain about anything so I don't have an entry for this section.

Peter's Review

Bewertet am 12.7.2009
Peter M.
Treasurer

Kommentare: I would highly recommend this product to anyone who is looking to try a new program or have never used software to record their givings.

Vorteile: Although I have used other software programs in the past that I considered to be good, I feel this program (DONATION) is first rate and easy to set up. It is also extremely easy to be able to add new names or categories without any hassle. Apparently our church never used a software program before I became treasurer and the comments that I received were all very positive, including the layout of the receipt.

Nachteile: Right now I also do a spread sheet format of the givings to the church. I have not been able to see how I can do this through the program. I now write everything down before converting to the spreadsheet. If there is no way of being able to do this quicker I may change my format for 2010.
Right now I am entering the amounts by envelope number and record on my spreadsheet alphabetically. So in 2010 I probably will change the spreadsheet to envelope numbers as well.

Have been using Donation for 5 years!

Bewertet am 29.10.2013
Klaus S.
Treasurer

Kommentare: Donation is a database program that manages donors and their donations to charities. I have found the program relatively easy to setup and train volunteers to use. It provides a professional look to tax receipts. Backups, corrections and updates are easily made.
Integration with other programs (mail merge) is a little more difficult and the search engine is very powerful but has a steep learning curve. The look of the interface is a little bland.
Our agency has been using Donations since its early days as freeware and we like it.

von Software4Nonprofits an 29.10.2013

Just to be clear, the mail-merge features in the program are entirely within the program - no third-party programs, such as a word processor, are involved or required.

I'm not sure exactly what Klaus is referring to as the "search engine". Basic searching by donors is very easy, with two levels of searching available. He may be thinking of the feature for filtering reports, to further restrict them beyond whatever limits they prompt for (like a date range for donations). That is admittedly a bit potentially complex, but there's a video on the web page http://www.software4nonprofits.com/demos.htm going over it, and a detailed help page about it.

The best small investment our church has ever made!

Karen H.
Treasurer

Kommentare: We have been using Donation since December 2009. As our new church treasurer, I was searching for ways to avoid hand-writing our tax receipts, which had taken our previous volunteers hours and hours each year. Donation is easy to learn (I've trained two other people in how to enter the Sunday's offering, both very novice computer users, and they've had no troubles), and we now have many pre-authorized donors and love the Excel import of our monthly donors. If we've ever had questions that we couldn't find out about with the excellent "help" files, Dan at Cooperstock is very responsive to any queries we've had, often answering within an hour, not days! Our annual tax receipting literally is now at a push of a button and waiting for the printer to finish! We can create envelope labels, box labels, mid-year donor statements, and mail merges for appeal letters, all with ease. I can run various analysis reports, to see trends in our donor patterns, who hasn't given this year, etc. I even got my Dad, a treasurer at his small church in Eastern Canada, to use it and he is a true fan as well! Just an outstanding program, easy to use, and the customer service is top notch.

Excellent Program, Simple to Use, Meets all Donation Tracking needs of almost any Ministry

Klaus S.
Bookkeeper/Accountant

Kommentare: Overall:
I have been using DONATION for at least 6 years, with a number of different ministries, after using several other donations/church membership packages. This is by far the simplest, most straight forward program for donation tracking/receipting since the days of the old DOS program "ChurchMouse".
Pros:
1. It is simple and uncomplicated, doing only what it is designed to do - track and receipt donations. It is not cluttered by the often confusing features of combination church management packages or accounting packages.
2. Superb support - an email to the developer often brings a response in less than one hour!
3. Excellent value for the price and very generous licensing. You can run multiple company/organization databases for the same low fee.
4. Very powerful SQL-query-based reporting for the experienced user, in addition to a large array of pre-configured reports. It is very easy to customize your Income Tax Receipts.
5. Import-export features: Excel, pdf, etc.
6. Too many other features to mention here - the review by Robert Vanderhill covers many of my points also.
Cons:
I haven't found any.

Software4Nonprofits

Bewertet am 27.10.2013
Ken C.
Sole Practitioner

Kommentare: I have used this software for a number of years. It has steadily been improved and simplified.
A quick call or email to Dan, is solve quickly and simply. The reports that are generated from the single entry screen are exceptionally useful and flexible.
As a retired auditor as well as not for profit treasurer they are easy to use and provide all the info needed. The fact that one entry screen can provide all of this info has saved me many hours.
Included is a letter to donors that can be modified to suit all purposes but is probably it's one week spot.
It is still not intuitive to generate and use. In spite of this one weakness I do not hesitate to recommend it to all, especially at it's low cost.

von Software4Nonprofits an 28.10.2013

The mail-merge letters feature in DONATION is indeed its most complex feature. Unfortunately, mail-merge is just a complex concept, so it¿s hard to make it completely simple. I have asked the user whether he has any specific suggestions for improvements.

There are several videos on the Demos and Samples page on the website demonstrating how to use the mail-merge features, which users seem to find quite helpful.

I've used DONATION for almost ten years, and have been VERY pleased in every respect.

Bewertet am 14.12.2017
Kent H.
Financial Secretary
Religiöse Einrichtungen, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Quick, easy entry and tracking of donations, with ample reports and good annual receipt production.

Vorteile: Contribution entry is amazingly efficient - quick and easy. Support is great, and personal! Reports and receipts are simple to produce, and various methods are available for customizing both.

Great Product!

Bewertet am 5.1.2017
Michael C.
Non-Profit-Organisation Management, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Easy to get up and running. Creating tax receipts is a breeze. Our Fundraising Committee also uses the software to create mail merges as Donation also serves as our database. Support is excellent through the Help section and videos. Amazing how fast customer service replies to questions that I have directed to him. We don't use the Account software as I am familiar with QuickBooks.

Vorteile: Ease of use. Frequent updates. Tech support (Help/videos/personalized support)

Nachteile: None

A recent user's review

Bernard R.
Treasurer/Director

Kommentare: This is not a comprehensive review. I'm a recent user and still exploring the possibilities. But the use I have had so far is outstanding. The program can be tailored to be area specific e.g. English and French in Canada and adaptable to print different tax receipts for different types of donations as required by Canada Revenue Agency (IRS to folks below the 49th). The receipts , mailing labels and addressed envelopes all look very professional. Issuer logo can be inserted. The upside is that the printed results are excellent, the capability that I have experienced to date is great. I've every confidence that the lists and reports will be of the same quality. The assistance from Dan is accurate and timely - no endless waiting. Dell and Microsoft please note. The online instruction manual covers everything that I can imagine. The only downside is that the program has such a multitude of possibilities that mastering it takes a lot of dedication and patience

Software4Nonprofits.com

Lanny T.
Secretary

Kommentare: Comments from our Volunteer on the Donations program: I sure have liked working with this program. The program that I used when I first started looking after Prayer Canada's donations was on a floppy disk. When the computers were upgraded, it would no longer work, as they didn't upgrade their program. We came up with another program that was not that easy to use. We looked around a lot for a program that was not too complicated and that was financially within Prayer Canada's means. It seemed next to impossible to come up with a good program that was easy to use, without being some kind of an accountant, but then someone recommended this program. When we tried it, we were able to figure out the things we needed quickly, and anytime there was something we couldn't understand, the techs were quick with a reply. I highly recommend this to any church or organization that is looking for something that is easy for an ordinary person to use. - Ruth Yurkshat

DONATION and ACCOUNTS

Freda G.
Financial Secretary [volunteer]

Kommentare: I have nothing but positive comments to make on the Donations program re: Software4profits.cm. I began using the program in January 2012. I have found this program to be the most "user-friendly" program I have ever used. I did not learn to use a computer until after I retired 18 years ago. This program does all the things I need to keep track of all the donations made to the organization [church] that I am Financial Secretary for. At year end, I can print off labels for addresses which are all loaded in the program for all the donors as well receipts for income tax purposes. The donation program has everything you could possibly want in keeping accurate records for donations and donors. The program also has features to guard against making errors. This is good for me. If I am slow on finding my way I can always send an email to Mr.Cooperstock and I always get a "quick" response.

Small Church Experience

Bewertet am 13.7.2009
D. r. P.
Treasurer

Kommentare: The program meets our needs very well. It handles the basics of tax deductible contributions without being overburdened with
"Membership Management" like a lot of the integrated packages. It is perfect for small organizations on a limited budget.

Vorteile: Very easy to use. Weekly information entry is very easy. Annual tax deductible contribution statements are easy to produce and are formatted to fit a window envelope.

Nachteile: Quarterly contribution statements supported only if you build your own using mail merge. This is not difficult, however.

von Software4Nonprofits an 15.7.2009

Just to clarify, there is a built-in report for periodic "statements", such as quarterly reports, for the donor. What caused this reviewer to create his own version using the mail merge is that he wanted the donor's address to be printed as part of the report, which isn't included in the built-in report.

Review of DONATION

Bob K.

Kommentare: We are a relatively small (150 donors), local charity working in international development. DONATION is perfect for me to track donations and donors as well as to generate useful reports, email notices and mailing labels. The whole data base is accessible for customizing reports or generating special lists. Although these take some time to create, the Help section provides abundant instructions and examples to get the job done. Updates are available frequently and individual help if necessary is available. I have found Dan to be prompt and helpful when questions have arisen. The price is right. The only "con" I can think of is the lack of ability to directly do some stats on the data base. This is not a problem because the data can be easily downloaded into Excel for analysis and graphing. I am very happy with this product.

God Send

David H.
Treasurer

Kommentare: I have struggled with other record keeping programs over the years. This is one program that I have not had to struggle with. It set up easily and transferred all my files over from my former church management program Membership Plus. The deposit records transfer quickly into Quickbooks, once the categories where set up to match Quickbooks. This is something that I could not get Membership Plus to do. I just have to enter the donations once and my deposit is set up and then I can transfer the information to the accounting program. It is very easy to print the giving reports. You can then print them to be mailed or e-mail them to the members. If there is something that you cannot figure out they have help files and great support. The only thing that it does not do is track attendance., but for a small church it really does not matter.

Software4Nonprofits

Bewertet am 30.10.2013
Donald S.
CHAIR FINANCE

Kommentare: I AM VERY HAPPY TO WRITE A REVIEW FOR THIS SOFTWARE. I WAS LOOKING FOR THIS TYPE OF PRODUCT FOR SOME TIME. IT IS VERY EASY TO USE AND IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS, DAN COOPERSTOCK THE AUTHOR PROVIDES VERY RESPONSIVE SOLUTIONS. THE SOFTWARE HAS MANY TOOLS FOR MANAGING DONATION REPORTING BOTH TO DONORS AND GOVERNMENT. BEING ABLE TO TRACK SEVERAL DONATION CATEGORIES IS PARTICULARLY USEFUL FOR CHURCHES. ANOTHER USEFUL TOOL IS THE BANKING RECONCILIATION THAT MAKES MONTHLY BANK RECONCILIATION EASIER. I HAVE BEING PROMOTING THIS S/W WHENEVER I TALK TO PEOPLE WITHIN ORGANIZATIONS WHO COULD USE IT. I PROMOTED IT TO OUR CHURCH DENOMINATION WHO IN TURN WERE MAKING CHURCH TREASURERS AWARE OF ITS AVAILABILITY. IF YOU HAVE NEED OF THIS SOFTWARE--BUY IT!!. YOU WON'T BE SORRY!! I STILL HAVE NOT YET FOUND ANY CON'S.

Software 4 Nonprofits

Michele P.
Admin Assistant

Kommentare: This program is an excellent program, easy to use, generates useful reports, very affordable, and just recently I recommended my friend which enters the donations for the church she goes to and they also are very excited about this program. Previously our Non-profit organization along with the church my friend s attends, all entries were done manually. This program has saved hours of time and because you can choose to send out official tax receipts once a year the cost savings for envelopes and stamp is amazing. The program writer, Dan Cooperstock is very helpful by email or phone if you have any questions regarding the program, he is a wonderful fellow. I would recommend this program for any non-profit organization that needs to generate official tax receipts. Overall this program is a 10 out of 10.

Donations

Joanna N.
Treasurer

Kommentare: We have been very pleased with Donation. It is simple and works well for us.
We are a small non-profit, but have grown considerably, thus using the Donation
program more than when purchased. We work overseas for extended periods
of time, and have been successful at transferring the program to someone else's computer so they could keep up donations while we are gone.
I would like to tweek the receipt just a little to make it even better!
I recommend this program to any non profit organization.

von Software4Nonprofits an 24.10.2013

There are a number of options for ¿tweaking¿ the receipt, including various options on the Maintenance -> Receipt Options window for changing the built-in report-style receipt, or switching to the mail-merge version of the receipts, and then editing in whatever changes you want.