Extremely valuable tool in fostering automation for my small-sized accounting firm

Bewertet am 25.10.2018
Pattar and co. C.
Accountant
Buchhaltung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: For anyone in the finance industry, it is now simply understood that numbers are no longer "crunched" by overworked accountants battling customer-driven deadlines. That is all gone by way of automation. The only hang-up to a seamless input into automation is the fact that much of it still is stored as paper, believe it or not. My firm in particular made a push to start digitizing all of our records and in this process, I learned much about OCR technology. There are hundreds of products that say they can OCR, but the fact that ABBYY can process a HUGE variety of documents, fonts, etc. , this saves a lot of time correcting the output and actually getting searchable documents onto file storage. I just hope that this product continues to develop and remains at its reasonable price point.

Vorteile: It literally helped my firm save HUNDREDS of man-hours of data entry by running all of our scanned documents through ABBYY and relying heavily upon its OCR to produce a variety of formats which we were able to quickly cross verify and enter into the accounting software. In short, the quality and intelligence of their OCR engine is tremendously accurate and fast!

Nachteile: The licensing stuff is a little TOO strict and often the remote licensing procedure has to be manually restarted within WIndows Services. We eventually bought more licenses after realizing that ABBYY will be a critical component in my firm's efforts to digitize all of our records and hard copies onto our cloud-hosted server. However, for a very small business that may not warrant another license purchase, they will quickly find out that ABBYY is quick to detect multiple sessions of the same serial code and will block both out. A little excessive, but I can understand their strict use and protection of this fine product.

Powerfull tool for document archiving, document conversion, OCR and digitalization.

Bewertet am 17.5.2018
Jelena U.
Owner, CEO

Kommentare: If you need to work with documents, this is a great tool for recognition, digitalization and conversion. Price is high and it uses high resources on a computer. If you have a high volume of documents to work with, this is a great tool.

Vorteile: Abbyy FineReader support for almost all languages is impressive. We use many different languages, so it is very important for us to have a tool that can recognize well.
It is easy to use, with the simplified interface, one can work fast, through materials.
FineReader can export to different types which is also a great function.
Convert document formats and make them searchable, from scanned documents, screenshots or images to pdfs and html.
It is very good for creating new documents from multiple files, which can be imported in one project then exported to a new file.

Nachteile: The price is fairly high for those who don't have many documents.
It crashes sometimes while scanning documents with older scanners or when given more demanding tasks, like automatic scan of multiple pages.
If the scan is lower quality, or font is small, there are some mistakes that need to be fixed manualy, which can be time consuming.

OCR that works!

Bewertet am 20.7.2019
Josip L.
Sales Manager
Einzelhandel, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: ABBYY FineReader is a leader in OCR software and that means that their OCR is the best. It can perform character recognition in any language. I am amazed by all the functions that this piece of software has but one thing is so cool and I use it almost every day to help me organize papers in my office. That is "Hot Folder" - every time you add some document into the desired folder it automatically converts it for you into any type of document you want. It can be editable PDF, Word or any other combination you would ever want. It can do it!
Text is recognized very well and without any errors almost every time.

Nachteile: Sometimes it is struggling with some special letters from foreign languages like Cyrillic or some letters like čćšđž and many times I found that those are recognized wrong. Also, it tends to keep layout and formatting as the original document but sometimes it doesn't work well. Also, when you are trying to manually select area for the recognition it can be very hard and tiring to do all that manually because the software didn't recognize page properly. Most of the times that is not needed but when you are shooting or scanning in lower resolutions be prepared for that.

Scan, OCR, Edit!

Bewertet am 17.7.2018
Alvaro M.
Account Manager
Versorgungsunternehmen, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Powerful OCR software for both PC and Mac! Works offline, and can do the job in batches hassle-free.

Vorteile: I've been using Abbyy Finereader for about a decade now (since I stumbled upon it with a friend who digitized a lot of his readings). Abbyy is a powerful OCR software! I say powerful, because it captures nearly everything you throw at it, JPG, PDF... and if you're lucky, even handwritten notes are captures (often as image, but sometimes as text too!). It allows to import directly to Microsoft word for text editing. It even mimics the original scanned document in terms of the page layout and text sizes. Very useful for digitizing your existing documents (which you do not have a digital copy of). Heck, you can even scan and OCR an entire book! (copyrights apply, of course). Another good thing for me.... I can use if offline! Modern OCR apps require you to go online (which I cannot always be given the nature of my work and travels).

Nachteile: Now there are many other alternatives to using ABBYY as an OCR software, and most come as a free service (e.g., Google, Dropbox). It is even made easier now due to the proliferation of mobile phones. Scan a document via mobile phone, then use the online services for OCR, all for free now.

A convenient program for scanning and recognizing documents

Bewertet am 10.8.2018
Eugene O.
Business Development Manager

Vorteile: Earlier I had to work a lot with the documents of our company and client contracts. For example, the customer brought a paper version of the contract, I scanned it, recognized it, rules of error, etc. And all this happened with the help of Fine Reader professional versions. I also like that you can translate and save in various formats. For example, text in the format djwu or pdf, and even not copied, after carrying out the text through this program you can save the text in Word and use it anywhere and anyhow. In general, this is a simple and convenient program, albeit not cheap.

Nachteile: I happened that some versions of ABBYY Fine Reader did not recognize the printer and I had to reinstall the program or run to a colleague and ask him to print the necessary document processed in the application. In doing so, I had a standard Canon printer, so there should not be any problems.

Excellent software for my internet cafe not requiring me to type texts manually all the time

Bewertet am 2.8.2018
Sk J.
BUSINESS PARTNER

Kommentare: I hate typing. This software helps me avoid typing and yet be productive.

Vorteile: Amazed with this software which I wonder should have known earlier for my typing needs for my internet cafe. Earlier, I used to type manually all the typing jobs I used to receive in hard copy. When I came to know about this software, I could not believe that just with a scan copy of printed text, the technology could sense and give me output in word form. Typing is after all a monotonous job. I now just scan the hard copy and done. Also, no need to type manually jpg or pdf files, saving lot of time and energy adding productivity to the work place.

Nachteile: However, the software too often fails when the hard copy is hand written instead of typed text. There is a lot of room for improvement here and the makers of this software should be aware of the same. Hopefully, future versions should also be adept in figuring out hand-written texts accurately.

Cool recognizes text, functional develops

Bewertet am 9.10.2018
Ahmet A.
General Manager
Baumaterial, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Our company is quite modern, but many customers and customers still work according to the old scheme: they create a document, print it out and bring it to us. They are so comfortable, and we have to transfer everything back to the computer. Manually, of course, we do not do this, but use FineReader. It does an excellent job with the conversion, but errors sometimes happen, especially with regard to the recognition of special characters. In general, I like everything.

Nachteile: The 14th version of the program does not work correctly: the automatic brightness adjustment broke, the document opens on the second attempt, the contrast change function disappears. Hope this is fixed.

I've tried different recognition programs, but Fine Reader is the best!

Bewertet am 13.8.2018
Evgeny F.
Chief Financial Officer
Computer-Software, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I have been using Fine Reader ever since the 4 version appeared on sale and is very pleased with the result of the work. For example, if earlier only the text of excellent quality was suitable for recognition, now the photo from the phone is quite suitable for the program. I, for example, so easily recognize the preliminary contracts that customers bring. I just take pictures of them on my phone, transfer them to a computer and then easily process the document as I need.

Nachteile: Some characters, often found in my documents, Fine Reader has never learned to recognize. I have to insert such symbols in manual mode, which takes a lot of time.

Typing from scratch to only editing

Bewertet am 26.12.2018
Rishi B.
Business Owner
Einzelhandel, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We have replaced the habit of typing from scratch to only editing with an initial copy accurate close to 99 percent.

Vorteile: When it comes to printed texts of which we have no soft copy, earlier the only way to make it digital was typing (not talking about image formats like jpg). With ABBYY FineReader, I have reduced the amount of typing by almost 99 percent. Often, customers come to us with printed papers asking for reproducing the same with a bit of editing. We now just scan the copy, upload to ABBYY FineReader, and get the final output in MS Word format. I wish I should have known about this technology much earlier.

Nachteile: The software is constantly improving and there is always a room for improvement in deciphering text more accurately when the input given not so clear.

Best in Class OCR

Bewertet am 20.7.2019
Chuck D.
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I was implementing an extraction engine for clients, to extract information from image-based PDFs to be used in a bespoke solution. I evaluated several competing solutions- some open source. But none came close to ABBYY. Though there were procurement and licensing issues, they worked with us and legal to work through it. We were even able to customize it with a licensing server that made keeping track of the license terms and use very easy.

Vorteile: The support was top notch
They worked with us for licensing
Very flexible
Very powerful features
Very accurate

Nachteile: The price can be prohibitive
The licensing can be painful to work through

An indispensable program for my work

Bewertet am 13.10.2018
Natalia C.
Human Resources Consultant
Personalwesen, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: A significant part of my work is office routine - working with documents, processing files of candidates for a particular position. FineReader is helping me out with text recognition. I do not know what to do without it. It saves a lot of time, while the finished text almost does not have to edit.

Nachteile: The program consumes a lot of resources. Because of this, I did not immediately understand why my computer began to work more slowly. Partially solved the problem like this: disabled autoload with Windows.

Text recognition software

Bewertet am 27.3.2019
Jon Y.
Online English Tutor
Professionelles Training & Coaching, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Some textbooks or other manuals cannot be found in the electronic version, but the material must be sent to the student. Then ABBYY FineReader helps - it recognizes text in English and Russian and translates it into a regular file.

Nachteile: The program makes mistakes, and the most stupid. It is necessary to re-document the document in order not to send a file with inaccuracies. Unfortunately, you will not find all the errors from one time, so any blot will go unnoticed.

Quickly recognize text

Bewertet am 27.4.2019
Cynde Q.
Senior Director
Bildungsmanagement, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: There are individuals who continue to send scans of the text instead of the usual file. To edit a document, you have to use a program that translates the image into the usual docx format. The FineReader service does a good job with text recognition.

Nachteile: You can't do without mistakes - it is advisable to reread the resulting text at least once. Surely there are a couple of typos in it. In addition, the formatting is often broken during the translation.

Must have for the digital transformation

Bewertet am 29.3.2019
Joseric M.
Versorgungsunternehmen, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: In our efforts since last year to move into a fully digital (paperless) office, we found that we're still far off. We still have several manual business processes that involve passing around physical paper/forms. Then we found Abby Finereader. We are using this software to scan our documents and convert some of them into a searchable PDF or the ability to use OCR technology to be able to edit the scanned documents in MS Word or Google Docs (ready for cut&paste etc). Much help also is the feature which allows us to automate our doc conversions via what is called a 'Hot Folder' This allows for scheduled and batch jobs. So just set it up, let it run while you do other things, then come back to a finished job. Lastly, I love the fact that Abby Finereader now has a client for Android use. Now we can do our work on the go, and send it direct via email or save to the cloud. Very useful for meetings and workshops outside the office.

Nachteile: To be honest, I have no gripes with Abbyy. I've been using it for a long time now and it has really improved a lot (with more features) over the years.

Lightning fast digitization

Bewertet am 23.5.2019
Melania D.
HR Business Partner
Pharmazeutika, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I have been working with text recognition software for a long time, but ABBYY FineReader surprised me. I have not seen before that digitization was done so quickly. I also like that the program understands not only text, but also recognizes tables.

Nachteile: In general, I am satisfied with the program, but the program confuses some symbols. The most frequent problem is when the program instead of zero writes the other letter.

Need to take paper to digital? Use THIS.

Bewertet am 2.5.2019
Exp. Senior Consultant
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I implemented it on my father's work place. They run a medical facility, and receive much documentation in paper. Being able to digitalize that paperwork in a pre-automated way has saved them a lot of time and effort, inceasing efficiancy, A LOT.

Vorteile: Have lots of documentation that needs to be digitalized? This is the tool you're looking for.

Nachteile: Handwriting recognition could improve. Some spanish characters are not well recognized, but this has been enhanced over the years.

Excellent PDF OCR solution

Bewertet am 2.5.2019
Jesus P.
CEO/President
Marketing & Werbung, Selbstständig

Vorteile: This software came bundled with my Fujitsu ScanSnap and I've been using it for over 12 years. The software is still running perfectly and converting my scans to PDF and OCR'ing them for future reference. It's been reliable throughout and it's easy to use and save file in multiple formats.

Nachteile: I don't have any cons considering this was free bundled software and it's done an excellent job.

Good option for document recognition

Bewertet am 10.12.2018
Grigoriy M.
Back-End Developer
Bildungsmanagement, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: The FineReader software is one of the most used by me, I work with the program almost daily. It recognizes scanned pages without any difficulties, and also makes it possible to import Microsoft text just as easily.

Nachteile: Not all versions of ABBYY FineReader work equally well. Preview and automatic brightness settings do not function. No tool to connect multiple files into one.

Superior scan recognition

Bewertet am 30.4.2019
Tanya G.
Lawyer

Vorteile: This is one of the most frequently used programs by me, which I regularly use to recognize scanned text pages of documents. Copes with PDF conversion. Support all popular formats.

Nachteile: Preview does not work and automatically adjust the brightness, the lack of a tool with which you can combine several files into one. Difficulty with pattern recognition.

High-quality text scanning

Bewertet am 11.12.2018
Julia V.
Aquafitness trainer
Sport, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Almost every day I have to scan quite large volumes of documents, which, strictly speaking, FineReader copes perfectly well, providing high quality scanning in the shortest possible time.

Nachteile: Even on a fairly powerful personal computer, opening large files, not to mention converting them to other formats, often takes a considerable amount of time.

Easy text recognition

Bewertet am 22.3.2019
Amanda M.
Middle School Teacher
Grundschul- & Sekundarbildung, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I like the fact that FineReader has a lot of available languages and a large set of functions that make it easy to perform text recognition. Integration with large cloud services works well.

Nachteile: Sometimes it is necessary to make some edits manually, and for the full use of the software I needed to spend time studying using additional tutorials.

Recognizes handwritten documents well

Bewertet am 22.3.2019
Irina T.
QA

Vorteile: I use this software for text recognition on screenshots and numerous handwritten documents, saving my time. It has extensive functionality and support for all the languages I need.

Nachteile: Initially, it was difficult for me to use and I had to spend time studying. Sometimes the software does not recognize some characters in PDF documents.

ABBYY Finereader is the best OCR software

Bewertet am 11.5.2019
Zainab T.
Administrative Assistant
Automotive, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I have been able to save time which is a very important factor in my business line, time suppose to be spent on transcribing document and also it was possible to digitalize old files

Vorteile: My first encounter with the software was when I used it to convert a file from pdf to word and that was ABBYY Finereader 11. Over the years, I upgraded and started using the OCR to convert images, scanned files, screenshot to any file format (pdf, doc, docx, txt etc) and this helps save time transcribing and also the recognition quality is great when it comes to recognizing languages and text font. I would strongly recommend this software to anyone.

Nachteile: After converting files (pdf/image) to word sometimes the texts gets scrambled and also it does not recognize special characters and some symbols so a little reviewing is required.

This is the best copywriter's assistant!

Bewertet am 31.1.2018
Rajana K.
Copywriter
2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I work as a copywriter and I often have to scan some materials. With their recognition, FineReader does an excellent job. I often need to keep the original format of the letter / book / magazine, including pictures, drawings, tables, diagrams, graphics, etc. Previously, it was all a long time and was done manually in the Word. And now, it's not the first year that we bought this wonderful program Finereader from ABBYY and life has been adjusted.

Nachteile: The program is quite powerful, it requires good computers to work properly, if you have to work on a weak technique, the software is very slow and constantly freezes.

a good OCR to work easily

Bewertet am 29.7.2018
Antonio L.
Marketing

Kommentare: While doing my studies, it really helped me a lot by allowing me to access some files and thus modify them or extract paragraphs that I needed for some presentations or some projects.

Vorteile: 1.- easy to install and with a small size in relation to other similar programs.
2.- The cost is not that high if you use it regularly.
3.- There are many tutorials and videos to learn how to use it.
3.- The results are quite good, the character recognition process is very effective.
4.- It allows to export the files to several formats, and even allows to open and change the format without using the OCR.

Nachteile: I do not think it has negative things, but some things to improve, such as some faults that can have when recognizing the characters in a pdf, but it is not something so serious considering that much of the work is done very well .