Über PerfectIt

Finde Fehler, die kein anderes Rechtschreib- oder Grammatikprüfprogramm finden kann.

Erfahre mehr über PerfectIt

What a delight to run PerfectIt on a manuscript and have it find only CMoS issues. No more needing to build or borrow a custom style sheet.

Even the cost is not a con; it's minimal compared to all the other software subscriptions I have to pay for.

Bewertungen zu PerfectIt

4,9

PerfectIt hat eine Gesamtbewertung von 4,9 von 5 Sternen basierend auf 371 Nutzerbewertungen auf Capterra.

Hast du PerfectIt bereits verwendet?

Dr Mekhala
Dr Mekhala
Senior Editor in Griechenland
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

A 'must have' for any editor or proofreader.

Kommentare: Since the first day of the trial, I knew it was for me, and I haven't looked back. I bought it early before the trial ended, and was delighted when CMOS partnered. I enjoyed my work before, but now I love love love it.

PerfectIt helps me to save time while increasing accuracy in the editing services I provide. The thing I most like it has a CMOS add-in. Coupled with an experienced editor, they make a killer team. This software has elevated my business from mediocre, to exceptional.

It removes my tracked change's view from a simple view to none. This is a little frustrating, but something I can definitely live with considering what else it brings to the table.

Marissa
Editor in Kanada

Never going back!

Kommentare: I will never stop using PerfectIt, because there is no substitute for its functionality and no denying how much it has improved my writing and editing.

PerfectIt is like no editing software I've ever used. Its ability to scan an entire document for consistency is unparalleled, catching even the smallest and trickest of errors that the human eye would never have caught. It's also incredibly fast (no need to click through errors one by one when you can correct them all with one click).

It is sometimes unreliable. Error messages are frequent, saying a certain check couldn't be run. Multiple times, using the "Eliminate double spaces" function on the final check screen has caused Microsoft Word to freeze and crash completely, losing my work. Error message of "Cannot open PerfectIt" also happens at least one or twice a week. Setting the features for your own style guides is a bit tricky. I often have to go in and change certain features by hand between edits (e.g., both papers need APA, but one using quotation marks in a unique way). It is hard to remember if I've changed the guide back to the default. Ideally, PerfectIt should come with all the major style guides pre-set (APA, Chicago, etc.) and there should be an easy toggle button to adjust the elements that are more frequently changed (like "Does this paper use Oxford commas?). The toggle should revert to the traditional style after use in a paper.

Candida
Freelance Editor in Kanada

Terrible on Macs

Kommentare: Poor. Full on poor.

I want to love this software. It can be so helpful to catch the small editing errors clients make.

However, I don't love this software because it fails out ALL THE TIME. It almost never actually completes the full review of the text. It gives an error message suggesting that it's my internet connection that's the problem but that's obviously not true. I have great internet. The problem is with PerfectIt's version for Macs. This is well-known and yet has never been addressed. Macs are not some mysterious entity - and a ton of professionals use them. Intelligent Editing should be embarrassed about its PerfectIt for Macs. Get it fixed! Why am I paying top dollar for a program that is substandard? And why is it substandard?

Kerry
Fiction editor in Vietnam
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

This is an excellent consistency checker

Kommentare: It saves me time and my accuracy has improved.

I love the styles that come with the software and that you can add-on the CMOS. It's fast and easy to use and more importantly - accurate.

I've been using it for years and there were a few features I didn't really take advantage of because I wasn't sure how to use them. I think it would be a great idea to have some videos that come with the package or a discount code for [SENSITIVE CONTENT] course.

Martin
Owner in UK

Perfect for me

Kommentare: Overseas Uni students keep you on your toes, often with literal translations! PerfectIt utilises tools and sequences that enhance the edit.

The checking sequence is organised logically which means it provides for a structured edit, first time everytime.

Would like to see a UK Style, for example, reference to the New Oxford Style Manual.

Alan
Director/Author in UK
Bildungsmanagement, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Perfect!

Kommentare: Really impressed with the product and will continue to use in future.

Helps to identify so many aspects of writing that needs to be edited and improved, making excellent suggestions for alternatives.

Repetitive suggestions occasionally, perhaps consider reducing choice.

Andrew
Principal in Australien
Verlagswesen, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

I've used PerfectIt for well over 10 years and am still using and recommending it.

I was introduced to PerfectIt when I was editing public multi-author government reports. PerfectIt was ideal for ensuring the writing/style/spelling/use of hyphens in the final report was consistent. Now I am publishing SF&F books I use it to ensure that the individual author's world building remains consistent. The addition of links to the Chicago Manual of Style has only made it better.

I would like PerfectIt to be able to integrate with Scrivener for my own writing, but there are very few products that actually integrate with Scrivener. And given that I have to do the final formatting of a my own manuscripts in Word, its not difficult to just run PerfectIt over the Word document.

Lisa
Production Coordinator in USA
Verlagswesen, 51–200 Mitarbeiter

Easy to use and customize

It is easy and invaluable to run my documents through PerfectIt to catch those missed errors at the end of editing. Love that is it easy to use and set up - and so customizable!

It was a bit tricky to pair my CMOS subscription with PerfectIt. Ultimately, I had to contact PerfectIt customer service for assistance.

William
Partner/Co-Chair, Commercial Litigation in USA
Anwaltskanzlei, 51–200 Mitarbeiter

PerfectIt does what it advertises

Addresses the issues that regularly appear in my writing; Simple to use; Quick and easy improvement to my writing; Understandable prompts.

Customization to match the style of the courts that I practice in does not appear to be easy. But I have not spent much time looking into this.

Jennifer
CEO/Owner in USA
Verlagswesen, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

An excellent tool for your editing toolbox

Kommentare: It is a key tool in my editing toolbox, and I would be reluctant to let it go.

The biggest challenge with editing is that the human brain wants to see what should be there instead of what is there. Using a tool like PerfectIt helps me hone in on areas I may have missed. It helps me maintain consistency, and I can use a customized style sheet to make sure I’m handling everything correctly.

It can be a little slow to load in combination with Microsoft Word. But once it’s up and running, I don’t have any problems with it.

Karin
editor in USA

An Essential Tool for the Editor

Kommentare: To the extent that I have experienced any technical issues with the software, and they have been negligible in the years that I have used it, customer service has been flawless and the problem is resolved almost immediately. There are no products like it on the market. Many attempts have been made to copy it, but they uniformly suggest changes that would introduce errors into the manuscript at worst and suggest changes in the name of concision that would strip the work of its soul at best.

PerfectIt continues to be one of the wisest business purchases for the editor. This cunning software ensures consistently throughout the manuscript and automates many tasks that would otherwise take longer. Further, PerfectIt spotted the typo "shit" for "shift" in a Workers' Compensation evaluation, and so it paid for itself on the spot. I am sure I would have found it, but industry standard means that editors catch 95% of errors. I charge by the hour for forensic reports, so this software saves my clients money. I charge fiction and other projects by the word, so this saves me time and increases my hourly rate for those projects. Even though I do a lot of structural and line editing, I rely on this software to spot inconsistencies in queries as a diagnostic for the author and to ensure that place names, character names, and similar are consistently spelled so as to avoid introducing errors into the manuscript. It also helps me spot the author's style choices.

The only thing missing is APA 7. It would be helpful to have this style guide since I rely on it and CMOS almost exclusively. Even with that omission, PerfectIt is excellent.

Stephanie
Freelance copyeditor in USA

A truly useful tool

Kommentare: My work is more polished for using PerfectIt. It picks up and resolves small things I might otherwise overlook over the course of book-length projects. Running it twice on a manuscript is useful--once at the start and again at the end--as it helps first by resolving the "big things" (punctuation and spellings) and then by resolving the "little things" (errors introduced or inconsistencies overlooked in heavily edited passages). It is also always worth running on chapter-length documents--as long as one takes the time to document one's decisions on a project style sheet so that one can make the same choices for subsequent chapters. Now that I've used this software for a couple of years, I do not not want to be without it!

PerfectIt is an excellent tool to assist the user in imposing consistency across large projects. For example, it searches for words with variant spellings, capitalizations, and hyphenations and allows one to resolve variations one-by-one (or all at once). Each error is displayed in context, and the software enables one to navigate to each occurrence in the document so one can assess and address each case as necessary. It does the same with variant punctuation conventions or treatments of numerals and use of acronyms. Further, all changes can be redlined, and a summary of changes is generated at the end. This list can be copied and/or printed for reference (should one need to do so). One also has the ability to set up individual style sheets to reflect different presses' preferences (useful for freelance copyeditors). The ability to link the software to one's Chicago Manual of Style account (and use the affiliated style preferences/style sheet) is an added bonus.

The software is somewhat intuitive--but to get the most value from it, the online tutorials are essential. The wildcard searches (and support videos teaching one how to run them) are great--but require a time commitment to learn how to implement them effectively. It is worth taking the time to learn. Use the tutorials! A person who is more comfortable (than I am) with wildcard searches (or writing Word macros of their own) will able to maximize the utility of this software.

Katrien
Copy editor in Neuseeland

Essential tool for proofreaders

Kommentare: PerfectIt enables me to deliver a top quality service to my customers. I especially use PerfectIt to check for inconsistencies in very large documents. I couldn't go without it.

I like its ability to detect inconsistencies, and as I often proofread academic articles, how PerfectIt determines where abbreviations should be spelled out and where only the abbreviation should be used. The most useful feature for me is that it tells you how many occurrences there are of spelling version A and how many of version B, giving you the option to select the version of your preference and making the changes, either one by one, or to all occurrences simultaneously.

There isn't anything I dislike. I just wished I had more time to study its many features that I haven't explored yet. I haven't looked into creating my own style guides, which is probably quite easy. I also wished that, in the case of abbreviations, PerfectIt would pick up that an abbreviation should be spelled out once in the abstract and once again in the main part of the text, but I understand that this may be very difficult to achieve. On a positive note, when PerfectIt picks up the abbreviations, it allows you to scroll through all the occurrences and check where the abbreviations appear in the text. It is easy to make changes where necessary.

Catherine
Copyeditor in Irland
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

PerfectIt saves me hours on every editing job!

Kommentare: I've loved PerfectIt since the first time I used it, and I can't see myself working as an editor without it as part of my toolkit.

One of my favorite things about PerfectIt is that it integrates with the Chicago Manual of Style (CMOS), which is the style manual I use most. When it flags something, it brings up the CMOS rule that applies so that I can understand why something may need to be changed. Another thing I love is that it checks for consistency. It can be really difficult to remember if something was hyphenated or capitalized in one chapter but not another, so PerfectIt helps bring these things to my attention. I also like that you can switch between different dialects of English, so it acts as a backup if you're editing a document in a dialect you're not as familiar with.

The only thing that has bothered me is that I think the check for numbers (i.e., whether they should be spelled out) may need to be tweaked. Occasionally I've noticed that it might miss some of them. This might be because they're part of a hyphenated word or they're less than 100. I would love that check to be expanded to include all numbers. I would also love it if PerfectIt would integrate with New Hart's Rules in the same way it does with CMOS. Maybe someday it will!

Dorothy
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

I really appreciate PerfectIt!

Kommentare: Generally very happy with PerfectIt! and also purchased a copy for a friend.

I love that the checks are so granular - - what a huge timesaver! I can select exactly what I want to check, and PerfectIt's suggestions are not buried in a tsunami of other checks and suggestions. For a recent book, many words were correctly presented as both lowercase and capitalized, depending on context. PerfectIt! enabled us to go through the text with great efficiency, ensuring that we had Name where we wanted the cap, and name where we wanted lowercase.

For my work, it would be helpful if PerfectIt! both identified potential spelling errors, and also gave me a way to export that list. My most recent editing job involved many Sanskrit words, and each one needed to be checked. PerfectIt! caught some of them. (Example: yoga asana (a pose in yoga) would be yoga aasana (double a at the beginning) in the book, which should present as a spelling error.

Eliza
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

Love PerfectIt! A must have for editors.

Kommentare: I love it--I run it at the beginning and end of every editing job and it has saved me hundreds of hours, at least, over the years (and caught issues I'd never have caught myself). Practically anything you find yourself always having to look up (e.g. the difference between complement and compliment) or find that your eyes aren't good at catching (like rein/reign, form/from, or solider/soldier) is something that PI can be customized to help you with. It's easy to load different style sheets (premade or custom), so you can switch seamlessly between US/UK English and between different style guides. It's much more than a consistency checker.

I love the customizable checks and the CMoS integration.

It glitches now and then (but usually turning the computer off and on again fixes the problem, and customer support is excellent), and some features that can't be customized are ones I'd like to be able to customize (e.g. I'd like to have it spell out numbers larger than 100, and ignore a space before a period if what follows the period is a numeral and thus a decimal).

Laura
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

Every editor and proofreader should use PerfectIt

Kommentare: I use PerfectIt on almost every document. As an editor and proofreader, I have to edit for readability, accuracy, and flow but also for consistency, style guide alignment, and every other potential issue under the sun. No editor is perfect, so PerfectIt is a great tool to use to ensure you haven't overlooked something while focusing on a hundred other areas. I find it's most useful as a consistency checker. I run it before I start an edit in order to get a preview of the issues I'm going to encounter in a document. I run it again at the end of an edit to ensure I did not miss anything. It's a great tool.

I love that PerfectIt flags problem areas and style inconsistencies. To me, its primary function is as a consistency checker. No other program does this as well as PerfectIt.

I can't think of any cons! I do hope PerfectIt continues to add modes for specific style guides. The addition of the CMoS mode was brilliant.

Melissa
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

Great for Mac users. Even better for people on PCs.

Kommentare: PerfectIt is, hands down, the best consistency checker out there, even for Mac users.

PerfectIt is easy to use, and it looks for consistency in a way that other software does not. It's saved me many times from making errors that would look unprofessional at best and downright wrong at worst. And the CMoS integration is wonderful, and makes checks easy and painless.

My biggest complaints all revolve around the fact that Mac users, and others working with the cloud version, are somewhat hobbled by our inability to customize what gets looked for and changed. That part is frustrating enough that I'm about ready to follow in the footsteps of several colleagues and buy the cheapest possible Windows laptop I can, as a subscription includes both the local installation and cloud access. Make the Mac version fully functional, and it'll be 5-star across the board.

Shannon
Proposal Manager in USA
Schreiben & Editieren, 51–200 Mitarbeiter

PerfectIt is a must for editors

Kommentare: Honestly, as long as I continue to be in proposals and edit documents I will continue to renew my subscription with PerfectIt.

The features that are most impactful for PerfectIt for our company are getting the document to be consistent throughout and to ensure punctuation and grammar is on par always. I have implemented the use of perfect it not only in our company but I have recommended it to multiple friends who are editors/proposal managers because it makes the final editing process of proposals much easier. Originally i was just eyeballing my final edits, but with PerfectIt it saves me about 2-3 hours of work.

Occasionally, the acronym list will not pull all of the acronyms and i will have to manually go back and pull them myself. Not a huge deal, but sometimes an annoyance.

Elena
editor in USA
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, Selbstständig

time-saving editing software

Kommentare: As an editor, I use PerfectIt on a daily basis for editing and proofreading. While it does not necessarily pick up incorrect grammar or usage, it does a great job of clearing the text of spelling, hyphenation, punctuation, capitalization and formatting inconsistencies. I also use it to localize large documents to different variants of English, which is an incredible time saver. It's a great tool that helps me deal quickly and efficiently with the more superficial issues in a text so that I can focus on doing a deeper edit.

- It is great for ensuring consistent documents - It gives the possibility for creating custom style sheets - It has the option for language localization (US, UK, Australian English)

- I found creating the custom style sheets to be quite challenging and time-consuming (although it's definitely worth making the effort)

Helen
freelance copyeditor in USA
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

Fun, precise, accurate editing helper

Kommentare: I was initially very cynical; after using it only once, I was completely sold. I copyedit scholarly and academic materials, and it has helped me find innumerable tiny omissions, making my edits more complete. I absolutely love the ability to choose "Fix" or "Skip" with every suggestion. So easy to use. Wonderful product.

I am a highly detailed copyeditor. I notice things that others don't notice in almost every area of life. I was shocked at how many things PerfectIt picked up in my documents that I hadn't seen. I'm talking about very small details. It has educated me by helping me see areas that I tend to overlook when I'm working too quickly. And most of all, it is fun to use. After a long, hard copyediting job, it's quite entertaining to run a document through PerfectIt and see what I've missed. I am always satisfied that it has greatly improved my final copyedited document.

It brings up quite a few "issues" that I end up skipping over, because my documents often have quirks that do not fit into the standard style patterns. Sometimes this takes more time than I'd like it to. Only other complaint is that when it finds two words that should be hyphenated, if I click on "Fix," in Track Changes it shows that I've changed both the word and the hyphen, when I would prefer that it only highlight the hyphen that has been added. I did contact support regarding this, and they gave me a very plausible explanation for why this has to be, although I did not retain their explanation!

Erin
Owner in Niederlande
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

A small tool that delivers big improvements to my clients' texts

Kommentare: I've been using PerfectIt for about a decade and it's a crucial step in my text editing process. I frequently edit long academic articles co-written by teams of researchers, and PerfectIt quickly finds the inconsistencies in word use, spelling and punctuation that are easy to overlook. I run it when I first start a job and again at the end to make sure I've caught everything. And whenever I've had questions,[SENSITIVE CONTENT] and his team have been quick to respond and truly helpful. PerfectIt is a super tool!

PerfectIt is super easy to use; I love that it integrates into Word. Even an eagle-eyed editor can miss inconsistencies, so I love that PerfectIt can find them for me (especially in very long texts). I've created my own style sheets for certain clients, which means I don't have to remember all their terminology preferences. Overall, it's a simple tool that delivers clear and helpful results with very little effort on my part.

I generally have no complaints. It can take a few minutes to run PerfectIt on a long text, but as the program has evolved it has become faster and more able to work with longer documents.

Sara
Freelance Translator in Spanien
Übersetzung und Lokalisierung, Selbstständig

A Good Addition to an English Translator's Toolkit

Kommentare: I would recommend adding PerfectIt to your toolkit if you are a translator or writer working in English, it is a fast and reliable way of keeping your text typo-free and cohesive, with plenty of customisation options.

PerfectIt is easy to set up and use. It integrates seamlessly into Word (although it would be handy if it also worked in Outlook). I like that it offers different language variants, and there are standard styles already created for you to use, or you can customise them and create your own. The spellcheck sometimes picks up different things to Word, which is also convenient as a double check, and I love that you can remove all extra spacing with a click of a button.

As a translator working with several languages, I wish it were available in more languages other than English, but I understand that is probably not possible or would be difficult to implement.

Candace
freelance editor in USA

(Almost) Everything I Could Want

Kommentare: Even with the Mac version's more limited features, I find using PerfectIt is a great tool for using before I begin editing to find and correct common author consistency errors and after editing to find and correct things I might have missed.

I love the ability to select all or only some of the checks; for example, when I work with a fiction manuscript, I don't want every contraction called out, but I often do when working with a nonfiction manuscript, so I will select or deselect that option under Spelling.

I'm on a Mac, and the features are significantly fewer than for PC. One feature I really wish the Mac version offered is style sheets; they are nonexistent but would be a welcome addition.

Lori
Copy Editor in USA
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

A must for every writer, editor, and proofreader.

Kommentare: This program was a huge eye opener. I'm so glad someone recommended I add it to my arsenal, and it's become a must-use for me.

I really like that I can choose what NOT to check. For example: I edit a lot of fiction, so there are A LOT of contractions. The fact that I can choose NOT to look for them is a huge time-saver. It's also a fabulous tool to ensure I'm consistent.

I wish it were more functional with my Mac. I bought a Windows laptop (which I detest) to take advantage of the functions unavailable to me when I'm using my Macbook Pro, which is my preferred computer. Having the full power of PerfectIt available for Apple users would be amazing,