Über PerfectIt

Finde Fehler, die kein anderes Rechtschreib- oder Grammatikprüfprogramm finden kann.

Erfahre mehr über PerfectIt

Even the cost is not a con; it's minimal compared to all the other software subscriptions I have to pay for.

Bewertungen zu PerfectIt

4,9

PerfectIt hat eine Gesamtbewertung von 4,9 von 5 Sternen basierend auf 371 Nutzerbewertungen auf Capterra.

Hast du PerfectIt bereits verwendet?

Dr Mekhala
Dr Mekhala
Senior Editor in Griechenland
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

A 'must have' for any editor or proofreader.

Kommentare: Since the first day of the trial, I knew it was for me, and I haven't looked back. I bought it early before the trial ended, and was delighted when CMOS partnered. I enjoyed my work before, but now I love love love it.

PerfectIt helps me to save time while increasing accuracy in the editing services I provide. The thing I most like it has a CMOS add-in. Coupled with an experienced editor, they make a killer team. This software has elevated my business from mediocre, to exceptional.

It removes my tracked change's view from a simple view to none. This is a little frustrating, but something I can definitely live with considering what else it brings to the table.

Marissa
Editor in Kanada

Never going back!

Kommentare: I will never stop using PerfectIt, because there is no substitute for its functionality and no denying how much it has improved my writing and editing.

PerfectIt is like no editing software I've ever used. Its ability to scan an entire document for consistency is unparalleled, catching even the smallest and trickest of errors that the human eye would never have caught. It's also incredibly fast (no need to click through errors one by one when you can correct them all with one click).

It is sometimes unreliable. Error messages are frequent, saying a certain check couldn't be run. Multiple times, using the "Eliminate double spaces" function on the final check screen has caused Microsoft Word to freeze and crash completely, losing my work. Error message of "Cannot open PerfectIt" also happens at least one or twice a week. Setting the features for your own style guides is a bit tricky. I often have to go in and change certain features by hand between edits (e.g., both papers need APA, but one using quotation marks in a unique way). It is hard to remember if I've changed the guide back to the default. Ideally, PerfectIt should come with all the major style guides pre-set (APA, Chicago, etc.) and there should be an easy toggle button to adjust the elements that are more frequently changed (like "Does this paper use Oxford commas?). The toggle should revert to the traditional style after use in a paper.

Candida
Freelance Editor in Kanada

Terrible on Macs

Kommentare: Poor. Full on poor.

I want to love this software. It can be so helpful to catch the small editing errors clients make.

However, I don't love this software because it fails out ALL THE TIME. It almost never actually completes the full review of the text. It gives an error message suggesting that it's my internet connection that's the problem but that's obviously not true. I have great internet. The problem is with PerfectIt's version for Macs. This is well-known and yet has never been addressed. Macs are not some mysterious entity - and a ton of professionals use them. Intelligent Editing should be embarrassed about its PerfectIt for Macs. Get it fixed! Why am I paying top dollar for a program that is substandard? And why is it substandard?

Kerry
Fiction editor in Vietnam
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

This is an excellent consistency checker

Kommentare: It saves me time and my accuracy has improved.

I love the styles that come with the software and that you can add-on the CMOS. It's fast and easy to use and more importantly - accurate.

I've been using it for years and there were a few features I didn't really take advantage of because I wasn't sure how to use them. I think it would be a great idea to have some videos that come with the package or a discount code for [SENSITIVE CONTENT] course.

Martin
Owner in UK

Perfect for me

Kommentare: Overseas Uni students keep you on your toes, often with literal translations! PerfectIt utilises tools and sequences that enhance the edit.

The checking sequence is organised logically which means it provides for a structured edit, first time everytime.

Would like to see a UK Style, for example, reference to the New Oxford Style Manual.

Alan
Director/Author in UK
Bildungsmanagement, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Perfect!

Kommentare: Really impressed with the product and will continue to use in future.

Helps to identify so many aspects of writing that needs to be edited and improved, making excellent suggestions for alternatives.

Repetitive suggestions occasionally, perhaps consider reducing choice.

Andrew
Principal in Australien
Verlagswesen, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

I've used PerfectIt for well over 10 years and am still using and recommending it.

I was introduced to PerfectIt when I was editing public multi-author government reports. PerfectIt was ideal for ensuring the writing/style/spelling/use of hyphens in the final report was consistent. Now I am publishing SF&F books I use it to ensure that the individual author's world building remains consistent. The addition of links to the Chicago Manual of Style has only made it better.

I would like PerfectIt to be able to integrate with Scrivener for my own writing, but there are very few products that actually integrate with Scrivener. And given that I have to do the final formatting of a my own manuscripts in Word, its not difficult to just run PerfectIt over the Word document.

Lisa
Production Coordinator in USA
Verlagswesen, 51–200 Mitarbeiter

Easy to use and customize

It is easy and invaluable to run my documents through PerfectIt to catch those missed errors at the end of editing. Love that is it easy to use and set up - and so customizable!

It was a bit tricky to pair my CMOS subscription with PerfectIt. Ultimately, I had to contact PerfectIt customer service for assistance.

William
Partner/Co-Chair, Commercial Litigation in USA
Anwaltskanzlei, 51–200 Mitarbeiter

PerfectIt does what it advertises

Addresses the issues that regularly appear in my writing; Simple to use; Quick and easy improvement to my writing; Understandable prompts.

Customization to match the style of the courts that I practice in does not appear to be easy. But I have not spent much time looking into this.

Karin
editor in USA

An Essential Tool for the Editor

Kommentare: To the extent that I have experienced any technical issues with the software, and they have been negligible in the years that I have used it, customer service has been flawless and the problem is resolved almost immediately. There are no products like it on the market. Many attempts have been made to copy it, but they uniformly suggest changes that would introduce errors into the manuscript at worst and suggest changes in the name of concision that would strip the work of its soul at best.

PerfectIt continues to be one of the wisest business purchases for the editor. This cunning software ensures consistently throughout the manuscript and automates many tasks that would otherwise take longer. Further, PerfectIt spotted the typo "shit" for "shift" in a Workers' Compensation evaluation, and so it paid for itself on the spot. I am sure I would have found it, but industry standard means that editors catch 95% of errors. I charge by the hour for forensic reports, so this software saves my clients money. I charge fiction and other projects by the word, so this saves me time and increases my hourly rate for those projects. Even though I do a lot of structural and line editing, I rely on this software to spot inconsistencies in queries as a diagnostic for the author and to ensure that place names, character names, and similar are consistently spelled so as to avoid introducing errors into the manuscript. It also helps me spot the author's style choices.

The only thing missing is APA 7. It would be helpful to have this style guide since I rely on it and CMOS almost exclusively. Even with that omission, PerfectIt is excellent.

Stephanie
Freelance copyeditor in USA

A truly useful tool

Kommentare: My work is more polished for using PerfectIt. It picks up and resolves small things I might otherwise overlook over the course of book-length projects. Running it twice on a manuscript is useful--once at the start and again at the end--as it helps first by resolving the "big things" (punctuation and spellings) and then by resolving the "little things" (errors introduced or inconsistencies overlooked in heavily edited passages). It is also always worth running on chapter-length documents--as long as one takes the time to document one's decisions on a project style sheet so that one can make the same choices for subsequent chapters. Now that I've used this software for a couple of years, I do not not want to be without it!

PerfectIt is an excellent tool to assist the user in imposing consistency across large projects. For example, it searches for words with variant spellings, capitalizations, and hyphenations and allows one to resolve variations one-by-one (or all at once). Each error is displayed in context, and the software enables one to navigate to each occurrence in the document so one can assess and address each case as necessary. It does the same with variant punctuation conventions or treatments of numerals and use of acronyms. Further, all changes can be redlined, and a summary of changes is generated at the end. This list can be copied and/or printed for reference (should one need to do so). One also has the ability to set up individual style sheets to reflect different presses' preferences (useful for freelance copyeditors). The ability to link the software to one's Chicago Manual of Style account (and use the affiliated style preferences/style sheet) is an added bonus.

The software is somewhat intuitive--but to get the most value from it, the online tutorials are essential. The wildcard searches (and support videos teaching one how to run them) are great--but require a time commitment to learn how to implement them effectively. It is worth taking the time to learn. Use the tutorials! A person who is more comfortable (than I am) with wildcard searches (or writing Word macros of their own) will able to maximize the utility of this software.

Katrien
Copy editor in Neuseeland

Essential tool for proofreaders

Kommentare: PerfectIt enables me to deliver a top quality service to my customers. I especially use PerfectIt to check for inconsistencies in very large documents. I couldn't go without it.

I like its ability to detect inconsistencies, and as I often proofread academic articles, how PerfectIt determines where abbreviations should be spelled out and where only the abbreviation should be used. The most useful feature for me is that it tells you how many occurrences there are of spelling version A and how many of version B, giving you the option to select the version of your preference and making the changes, either one by one, or to all occurrences simultaneously.

There isn't anything I dislike. I just wished I had more time to study its many features that I haven't explored yet. I haven't looked into creating my own style guides, which is probably quite easy. I also wished that, in the case of abbreviations, PerfectIt would pick up that an abbreviation should be spelled out once in the abstract and once again in the main part of the text, but I understand that this may be very difficult to achieve. On a positive note, when PerfectIt picks up the abbreviations, it allows you to scroll through all the occurrences and check where the abbreviations appear in the text. It is easy to make changes where necessary.

Catherine
Copyeditor in Irland
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

PerfectIt saves me hours on every editing job!

Kommentare: I've loved PerfectIt since the first time I used it, and I can't see myself working as an editor without it as part of my toolkit.

One of my favorite things about PerfectIt is that it integrates with the Chicago Manual of Style (CMOS), which is the style manual I use most. When it flags something, it brings up the CMOS rule that applies so that I can understand why something may need to be changed. Another thing I love is that it checks for consistency. It can be really difficult to remember if something was hyphenated or capitalized in one chapter but not another, so PerfectIt helps bring these things to my attention. I also like that you can switch between different dialects of English, so it acts as a backup if you're editing a document in a dialect you're not as familiar with.

The only thing that has bothered me is that I think the check for numbers (i.e., whether they should be spelled out) may need to be tweaked. Occasionally I've noticed that it might miss some of them. This might be because they're part of a hyphenated word or they're less than 100. I would love that check to be expanded to include all numbers. I would also love it if PerfectIt would integrate with New Hart's Rules in the same way it does with CMOS. Maybe someday it will!

Dorothy
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

I really appreciate PerfectIt!

Kommentare: Generally very happy with PerfectIt! and also purchased a copy for a friend.

I love that the checks are so granular - - what a huge timesaver! I can select exactly what I want to check, and PerfectIt's suggestions are not buried in a tsunami of other checks and suggestions. For a recent book, many words were correctly presented as both lowercase and capitalized, depending on context. PerfectIt! enabled us to go through the text with great efficiency, ensuring that we had Name where we wanted the cap, and name where we wanted lowercase.

For my work, it would be helpful if PerfectIt! both identified potential spelling errors, and also gave me a way to export that list. My most recent editing job involved many Sanskrit words, and each one needed to be checked. PerfectIt! caught some of them. (Example: yoga asana (a pose in yoga) would be yoga aasana (double a at the beginning) in the book, which should present as a spelling error.

Eliza
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

Love PerfectIt! A must have for editors.

Kommentare: I love it--I run it at the beginning and end of every editing job and it has saved me hundreds of hours, at least, over the years (and caught issues I'd never have caught myself). Practically anything you find yourself always having to look up (e.g. the difference between complement and compliment) or find that your eyes aren't good at catching (like rein/reign, form/from, or solider/soldier) is something that PI can be customized to help you with. It's easy to load different style sheets (premade or custom), so you can switch seamlessly between US/UK English and between different style guides. It's much more than a consistency checker.

I love the customizable checks and the CMoS integration.

It glitches now and then (but usually turning the computer off and on again fixes the problem, and customer support is excellent), and some features that can't be customized are ones I'd like to be able to customize (e.g. I'd like to have it spell out numbers larger than 100, and ignore a space before a period if what follows the period is a numeral and thus a decimal).

Laura
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

Every editor and proofreader should use PerfectIt

Kommentare: I use PerfectIt on almost every document. As an editor and proofreader, I have to edit for readability, accuracy, and flow but also for consistency, style guide alignment, and every other potential issue under the sun. No editor is perfect, so PerfectIt is a great tool to use to ensure you haven't overlooked something while focusing on a hundred other areas. I find it's most useful as a consistency checker. I run it before I start an edit in order to get a preview of the issues I'm going to encounter in a document. I run it again at the end of an edit to ensure I did not miss anything. It's a great tool.

I love that PerfectIt flags problem areas and style inconsistencies. To me, its primary function is as a consistency checker. No other program does this as well as PerfectIt.

I can't think of any cons! I do hope PerfectIt continues to add modes for specific style guides. The addition of the CMoS mode was brilliant.

Erna
Editor in Südafrika

PerfectIt as Editing Tool

Kommentare: By using PerfectIt, I have more time to spend on copy and line editing

PerfectIt is affordable, user friendly and works seamlessly in Microsoft Word. I rely strongly on PerfectIt to find and eliminate punctuation errors, as I'm prone to miss those when working long hours on a manuscript.

I would love the availability of a thesaurus

Nancy
Schreiben & Editieren, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Best editing tool out for the money and ease of use

Kommentare: I've been happy with this product since the beginning. It's economical and efficient and I am much more confident that my edits are good when I use this tool before returning it the work to my clients. A vast improvement over spell checking! In my own work, my confidence level is high that I've turned in a very clean product.

This product is pretty easy to use. The installation is simple with the wizard and it adds easily to Word software so it's always ready to use. I love being able to customize what I want PI to look for in the work I'm editing because there are big differences between editing fiction and non-fiction works.

Originally, I needed to have a CMOS subscription as well but with the new version, I have a CMOS option built into PerfectIt so I don't need both. I keep a current hard copy of the Chicago Manual of Style in my reference library in the office, but I no longer have to buy the subscription to it as well. Time and money saver.

Hannah
Freelance proofreader in UK
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

An excellent aid to ensuring consistency

Disclaimer: I have been offered a discount in exchange for my honest review of this product. All views are my own and are based on my use of the product over the last 5 years. PerfectIt is an indispensable tool for proofreaders and editors. Its consistency checking is excellent and its customisable style sheets are very useful. The product saves me a lot of time and means that I can concentrate more on reading for sense than on manual checking for issues such as missing brackets or inconsistent spellings.

It can take a little time to set up custom style sheets, but once you have them in place you can use them every time you work with a particular client or house style. The time investment is definitely worth it.

Kelly
Medical Editor in USA
Pharmazeutika, Selbstständig

Love to use PerfectIt at beginning and end of each editing task

Kommentare: PerfectIt ensures I catch more inconsistencies than if I rely on my reading of the content alone. As an editor, that is really essential. It's an indispensable part of my editing process with Word documents for my medical editing clients.

The consistency checks are a life saver...I can't live without them. They sometimes flag things I otherwise don't notice! The abbreviation checks and the ability to save the abbreviations list at the end is really helpful for making sure all terms are spelled out on first use and are in the abbreviations list. I don't customize the checks as much as I should, but I love that I can if needed.

Sometime, it gets bogged down with large Word files. That may be partly because Word gets bogged down by these large files, then you open PerfectIt, which is an add-on to Word, and it will sometimes just shut down. On a another note, I can't wait to see what they do with PowerPoint, as I have been asking for PerfectIt to work with PowerPoint for years!

Lynda
owner/operator/copyeditor in USA
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

An essential tool for writers and editors of all types

Kommentare: PerfectIt saves me a LOT of time while copyediting. I used to have an exhaustive list of find/replace items that were common to certain authors I'd worked with, or writers in general. PerfectIt allows me to customize style sheets so it does the labor in a fraction of the time without the laborious back and forth of doing it manually (and still missing a possible variation in spelling or heading style).

The customizable styles are my favorite part. I work with a variety of fiction authors, and each one has their own world-building and style preferences to keep track of. PerfectIt makes this a lot faster on the front end before I begin to read, and as a finish check when I complete an edit.

There are occasions when it misses things, but overall I have no complaints for how often I use it.

Mark
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

PerfectIt is a BRILLIANT "shadow editor" for my work with publishers, corporations, and authors

Kommentare: I work with major publishers around the globe, and must deliver high-quality edited documents to them for publication. PerfectIt is my right-hand-expert to give my work a thorough scrubbing before I deliver my projects to clients.

PerfectIt (version 4) was incredibly easy to integrate with my other software, which I have used for decades to copyedit more than 400 books and dozens of websites. It has brilliant, even dazzling, architecture that finds inconsistencies in spelling, capitalization, and hyphenation of thousands of words and phrases, and lets me fix them or keep them as appropriate (including whether to spell out acronyms after first use). It then shows me each passage under review, so that I can decide what to do, one by one issue. In fact, it has many tools that I never need to use (like table of contents, etc.). Love it to death!

I have not found any problems or missing "tools" in PerfectIt. Some other users might say it has TOO MANY tools, but they are not mandatory and some are not needed in certain kinds of writing (say, novels, or personal essays).

Candace
freelance editor in USA

(Almost) Everything I Could Want

Kommentare: Even with the Mac version's more limited features, I find using PerfectIt is a great tool for using before I begin editing to find and correct common author consistency errors and after editing to find and correct things I might have missed.

I love the ability to select all or only some of the checks; for example, when I work with a fiction manuscript, I don't want every contraction called out, but I often do when working with a nonfiction manuscript, so I will select or deselect that option under Spelling.

I'm on a Mac, and the features are significantly fewer than for PC. One feature I really wish the Mac version offered is style sheets; they are nonexistent but would be a welcome addition.

Cherrlyn
Author & Publisher in USA

PerfectIt is Simply the Best

Of the four style-analyzers (grammar-checkers) I use as a writer, PerfectIt is by far my favorite. It catches more issues than programs do. When I first tried PerfectIt, I used the FREE version. Because it worked much better than the free version of different programs, I bought it. It’s been an excellent investment in my writing. I highly recommend it.

PerfectIt generally takes three clicks to start running the program, whereas it takes only one click for the competitor that spends the most on advertising. However, given PerfectIt does a better job, it's worth the extra two seconds.

Susie
Proofreader and Copyeditor in UK
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

PerfectIt – Indispensable software for editors!

Kommentare: PerfectIt saves me a lot of time overall in my editing. It easily complements Microsoft Word and other software for editors. I would not be without it.

PerfectIt is hands down my most useful and most used software as an editorial services provider. I use it to quickly clean up texts ready for proofing or copyediting and then use it for a final sweep to check for anything I might have missed. It is very easy to use, with a good range of style sheets already built in meaning you can download it and use it straightaway. There are also lots of free video tutorials helping with both basic and more advanced features of PerfectIt.However, the most useful feature for me is being able to input my own style sheets, which saves me a lot of time when working with repeat clients. I have also found the integration with The Chicago Manual of Style (CMOS) useful, saving me extra time when working on CMOS-based texts. The free trial is generous, with all the features available for 14 days, and the annual subscription is also very reasonable, especially given the regular-ish updates. I have only had to contact customer services once with a problem, and this was dealt with quickly and efficiently.

The only thing missing is a check for references. I work with a lot of academic texts, and I would find this useful – even if it was just a brief check for inconsistencies. Perhaps more updates would also be good, although at this price point, there is more than ample going on in the background. It would also be great to be able to use PerfectIt with PDFs in Adobe or Google Docs.