Über PerfectIt

Find mistakes that no other spelling or grammar checker can find.

Erfahre mehr über PerfectIt

PerfectIt (version 4) was incredibly easy to integrate with my other software, which I have used for decades to copyedit more than 400 books and dozens of websites.

Even the cost is not a con; it's minimal compared to all the other software subscriptions I have to pay for.

Bewertungen zu PerfectIt

4,9

PerfectIt hat eine Gesamtbewertung von 4,9 von 5 Sternen basierend auf 229 Nutzerbewertungen auf Capterra.

Hast du PerfectIt bereits verwendet?

Sarah P.
Sarah P.
Freelance copyeditor and proofreader in UK
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

I wouldn't be without it.

5 letzten Monat Neu

Kommentare: Now that I've got it, I couldn't imagine doing my job without the help of PerfectIt. I like that it's a safe pair of hands and a second pair of eyes for anything I work on. I work on a lot of book manuscripts and PerfectIt manages to handle large files without crashing. The software is really fast and it helps me edit for consistency, finding everything from missing brackets and quotation marks to rogue spaces where you don't want them. It allows me to set preferences for headings, build my own style sheets and even set my preference for using the Oxford comma or not. It definitely helps me submit better-quality work to my clients.

I started using PerfectIt about a year ago as part of my job as a freelance copyeditor and proofreader and I now wouldn't be without it. I work on a lot of government documents which are full of abbreviations. PerfectIt is brilliant for checking the consistency of these in terms of both the abbreviation and its expanded title.

I had a few issues when I first launched the software because I have a GoDaddy account for my website and the Microsoft 365 software I use via GoDaddy threw up a few issues when I tried using the Cloud version software for the first time (I'm on a Mac). However, [SENSITIVE CONTENT] at customer care responded to my email almost immediately, to be fair, and solved my problem with a quick reply.

Andrew H.
Principal in Australien
Verlagswesen, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

I've used PerfectIt for well over 10 years and am still using and recommending it.

5 vor 3 Wochen Neu

I was introduced to PerfectIt when I was editing public multi-author government reports. PerfectIt was ideal for ensuring the writing/style/spelling/use of hyphens in the final report was consistent. Now I am publishing SF&F books I use it to ensure that the individual author's world building remains consistent. The addition of links to the Chicago Manual of Style has only made it better.

I would like PerfectIt to be able to integrate with Scrivener for my own writing, but there are very few products that actually integrate with Scrivener. And given that I have to do the final formatting of a my own manuscripts in Word, its not difficult to just run PerfectIt over the Word document.

Candida H.
Freelance Editor in Kanada

Terrible on Macs

Kommentare: Poor. Full on poor.

I want to love this software. It can be so helpful to catch the small editing errors clients make.

However, I don't love this software because it fails out ALL THE TIME. It almost never actually completes the full review of the text. It gives an error message suggesting that it's my internet connection that's the problem but that's obviously not true. I have great internet. The problem is with PerfectIt's version for Macs. This is well-known and yet has never been addressed. Macs are not some mysterious entity - and a ton of professionals use them. Intelligent Editing should be embarrassed about its PerfectIt for Macs. Get it fixed! Why am I paying top dollar for a program that is substandard? And why is it substandard?

Martin S.
Owner in UK

Perfect for me

Kommentare: Overseas Uni students keep you on your toes, often with literal translations! PerfectIt utilises tools and sequences that enhance the edit.

The checking sequence is organised logically which means it provides for a structured edit, first time everytime.

Would like to see a UK Style, for example, reference to the New Oxford Style Manual.

William W.
Partner/Co-Chair, Commercial Litigation in USA
Anwaltskanzlei, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

PerfectIt does what it advertises

5 letzten Monat Neu

Addresses the issues that regularly appear in my writing; Simple to use; Quick and easy improvement to my writing; Understandable prompts.

Customization to match the style of the courts that I practice in does not appear to be easy. But I have not spent much time looking into this.

Jon W.
Freelance editor in UK

PerfectIt - An essential tool for anyone editing digital texts

5 vor 2 Wochen Neu

Kommentare: Overall, my experience of the product has been very positive. I consider it an essential part of my editorial toolkit and have recommended it to other editors and even publications managers. It should never be thought of as a substitute for manual editing, but, along with Word's own in-built tools (or whatever word processing program one uses), it is an essential component of professional editing. It took me over two years to realize that the default setting is to not include bibliographies and footnotes in the checker. While I acknowledge that that is a user deficiency rather than a problem with the product, perhaps that could be made more clearly? I encourage new users to explore and play with the features before using proper, something I should have done more of. I should also point out that I have no real experience of competitor products, aside from Editorium, which is useful but can do other tasks (such as formatting). As a consistency checker, I have found that PerfectIt fits the bill and I have never had need to go seeking out alternatives. Customer support is always very quick and efficient too, as well as a human touch rather than a nameless administrator. Finally, it should always be borne in mind that PerfectIt does not replace editing. But it is a highly useful tool to supplement it and (like macros) does a lot of the heavy lifting and routine tasks that consume so much time when editing a long document. It is well worth the money.

I love the integration with Chicago Manual of Style. Very useful in my job. I also love that you can created and use your own style templates. The style points (serial commas, -ize endings, symbols, currencies, etc.) in the Settings are comprehensive and pick up most things you would look for when checking a text for conformity with a consistent style. Some of the other features (wildcards, fine-tuning, etc.) I don't even use, but it is great to know there is more to explore and use to service my editing work.

In upgrading last year, I lost a few style templates I had created. However, customer support was very helpful and besides, it does not take long to recreate a style template. Perhaps more could be added (e.g. based on Oxford Hart's Rules for instance)? I created my own which did not take long. I am also not convinced that every single instance of a word is picked up in a given check. I have sometimes checked this by doing it manually and found a few instances have not been picked up. That might be something to do with the codes the software uses (I have zero knowledge in the technical aspects), but it doesn't pose too big a problem because PerfectIt will pick up things you can then check manually yourself. And it will almost certainly always pick up things you won't have spotted yourself.

Hester H.
Editor and proofreader in UK
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

A must-buy for all editors

5 vor 2 Wochen Neu

Kommentare: I have been using PerfectIt since it first launched for the Cloud (the only option for Mac users without setting up Parallels) and was using the cutdown version, Consistency Checker, before that from the moment it became available. As an editor, I cannot imagine working without PerfectIt now: it saves me both time and mental energy, and frequently catches mistakes that had slipped past me. At the same time, I know that I am always in control of changes and can apply my hard-won editorial knowledge to make sensible decisions about the issues that PerfectIt throws up. I have been particularly delighted in the last year to be able to access the new Chicago Manual of Style style sheet, which I use on any project where CMOS is the necessary style; its accuracy and the helpful links to the relevant sections of the manual have been phenomenally useful.

PerfectIt is a godsend for editors. It picks up all kinds of inconsistencies that the human brain might miss, but, crucially, it gives the user control over what to change and what to leave the same. It doesn't make erroneous grammar suggestions like many editing apps do, but allows the trained editor to use their judgement at all times.

There is nothing I don't like about PerfectIt. The only thing I would wish for is that there was a standalone version available for Macs, so that I could generate my own style sheets.

Virginia B.
Virginia B.
Freelance editor in USA
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

PerfectIt is the best for editors

5 vor 2 Wochen Neu

Kommentare: As noted, I have used PerfectIt for years and it is part of my daily routine. At one point, I had to contact the company to see if they could help with an upgrade because I no longer had access to the email address I had used and could not find my registration code. To my surprise, although I emailed in the middle of the night, I had a solution within hours. That is awesome customer service!

I've used PerfectIt for years now, every day, and cannot imagine doing my job as an editor without it anymore. Unlike many grammar/spell checkers, PerfectIt doesn't give me a ton of incorrect "fixes. The ability to customize and use a wide variety of style guides is crucial for me, as I switch between a number of styles on a daily basis. Also, the software is quick, so it doesn't feel like a burden to add on at the end of an edit to ensure I caught all the critical pieces, such as punctuation.

The only negative I can think of is that it very, very occasionally crashes, but that has only happened about once every 6 months, far less than pretty much any other plug-in software I have used.

Clare B.
Clare B.
Freelance editor in UK

My editing superhero!

5 vor 2 Monaten Neu

Kommentare: Perfectit is a must for all editors. It is very intuitive and sits unobtrusively above the Word ribbon until it’s needed. But once the ‘launch Perfectit’ button is pressed, its superpowers come to life! I love Perfectit. It has revolutionised my work as an editor, and I would not be without it.

Perfectit is easy to use and saves so much time by applying a consistent style across your document. The tutorials on YouTube are excellent for learning how to use the software. I love that you can set your own custom style or tweak an existing style to fit your own needs for a particular client.

Perfectit does miss the occasional error, but don’t we all? I have used Perfectit several times to check text imported from a PDF into Word. On one occasion, Perfectit repeatedly displayed an error message. Technical support investigated, and they could not fathom why it would not run. But all software has glitches, and this particular issue has only happened once.

Sr Proposal Manager in USA
Unternehmensberatung, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Buy it and USE it!

5 letzten Monat Neu

Kommentare: We typically have more than one writer inside a document. PerfectIt finds every style mistake and allows me to produce a consistent document every time.

There isn't a document that I produce from my computer that doesn't go through PerfectIt. I learned that lesson the hard way. Whether you need to use it for a thorough check of every minute detail, or just need to run it back through for an acronym check, PerfectIt is the perfect tool for desktop publishers, editors, and writers of all types. It truly is like having a magic wand in your pocket.

I don't dislike anything about PerfectIt. One item I'd love to add is a "problem word/context check" - not to turn it into a grammar checker - just check for problem words such as too, to, two.

Michael S.
Writer-editor in USA
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, Selbstständig

PerfectIt improved my editing workflow

Kommentare: In conclusion, PerfectIt allows me to raise the level of professional editing and polish through style consistency. I can spend more time improving the quality of the content, refining the message, and concentrating high-value changes. Having used PerfectIt for seven years, I think it has actually taught me to be a better writer by enforcing good practices.

PerfectIt increased consistency in applying styles and standards, systematized the time-consuming task of correcting mistakes (2 spaces after periods, hyphenation, capitalization, proper names). I have been using PerfectIt since version 2.2 in early 2015. The key to PerfectIt's effectiveness is breaking the linear editing habit: Start at the front and edit through to the end of the document. Instead, PerfectIt uses what I call algorithmic editing. It churns through the entire document applying several sets of rules and then I review the changes for each rule, from front to back, turning review into a yes/no exercise. It's fast and not as tedious as it sounds. Other advantage are: - Customize Word for specific clients, technical fields (watch lists, terminology, jargon, abbreviations) or house styles. - Help clean up bullet lists and tables, which are frequently used as writing crutches but can really be effective methods of displaying information. - Highlight inconsistencies in documents due multiple contributors, writers and editors. - Manage acronyms, abbreviations and initialisms in narrative and then as appendixes. - Strip out word padding and wordiness. - Create cleaner copy so that it's easier to edit because a lot of the noise has been filtered out. - Reduce typos when making correction.

It can be hard to convince others of the value of this kind of editing and whether it's worth the cost. But I still pay for the software myself because it saves me time.

Karin C.
editor in USA

An Essential Tool for the Editor

Kommentare: To the extent that I have experienced any technical issues with the software, and they have been negligible in the years that I have used it, customer service has been flawless and the problem is resolved almost immediately. There are no products like it on the market. Many attempts have been made to copy it, but they uniformly suggest changes that would introduce errors into the manuscript at worst and suggest changes in the name of concision that would strip the work of its soul at best.

PerfectIt continues to be one of the wisest business purchases for the editor. This cunning software ensures consistently throughout the manuscript and automates many tasks that would otherwise take longer. Further, PerfectIt spotted the typo "shit" for "shift" in a Workers' Compensation evaluation, and so it paid for itself on the spot. I am sure I would have found it, but industry standard means that editors catch 95% of errors. I charge by the hour for forensic reports, so this software saves my clients money. I charge fiction and other projects by the word, so this saves me time and increases my hourly rate for those projects. Even though I do a lot of structural and line editing, I rely on this software to spot inconsistencies in queries as a diagnostic for the author and to ensure that place names, character names, and similar are consistently spelled so as to avoid introducing errors into the manuscript. It also helps me spot the author's style choices.

The only thing missing is APA 7. It would be helpful to have this style guide since I rely on it and CMOS almost exclusively. Even with that omission, PerfectIt is excellent.

Karen W.
Karen W.
Freelance editor in USA
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

PerfectIt pays for itself in time saved over and over again

Kommentare: I love this product. I have tested numerous competitive software products over time, just to see what else is out there, but this is the one product I cannot do without in my business.

I love that PerfectIt sweats all the small stuff--and there is so much of that--and frees me up to concentrate on language usage itself. This product has paid for itself countless times over and over again in the amount of hours and possible embarrassment it has saved me. It's just so reliable at catching errors, but I retain full control of accepting or rejecting each recommended change. I also love that I can create my own style sheets, although the ones that come with the software are already pretty awesome. And now that the Chicago Manual of Style is included as a given style sheet, with a subscription to CMOS itself, this software is absolutely critical to the success of my freelance business.

I wish to be able to set UK/US English as part of selecting my preferred style sheet, rather than in a separate style sheet. My client's documents are constantly switching between US and UK English, but I cannot meld that choice of language with, for example, the CMOS style sheet. That interrupts my thought processes as I work through the style sheet and need to reject certain fixes because of the language choice. I've never been able to figure a work-around for this problem. This is especially an issue in the Mac Cloud version of the software (I use both PC and Mac versions of the software).

Katrien B.
Copy editor in Neuseeland

Essential tool for proofreaders

Kommentare: PerfectIt enables me to deliver a top quality service to my customers. I especially use PerfectIt to check for inconsistencies in very large documents. I couldn't go without it.

I like its ability to detect inconsistencies, and as I often proofread academic articles, how PerfectIt determines where abbreviations should be spelled out and where only the abbreviation should be used. The most useful feature for me is that it tells you how many occurrences there are of spelling version A and how many of version B, giving you the option to select the version of your preference and making the changes, either one by one, or to all occurrences simultaneously.

There isn't anything I dislike. I just wished I had more time to study its many features that I haven't explored yet. I haven't looked into creating my own style guides, which is probably quite easy. I also wished that, in the case of abbreviations, PerfectIt would pick up that an abbreviation should be spelled out once in the abstract and once again in the main part of the text, but I understand that this may be very difficult to achieve. On a positive note, when PerfectIt picks up the abbreviations, it allows you to scroll through all the occurrences and check where the abbreviations appear in the text. It is easy to make changes where necessary.

Dawn O.
Senior Editor in Kanada

My Editing Partner

Kommentare: In addition to running PerfectIt to ensure my own editing is as complete as possible, I use PerfectIt to establish consistency among editors working on related publications or publications for the same client. Once you begin customizing PerfectIt, the options for establishing a style standard are almost endless.

It took me a few years to decide that trying PerfectIt was worth my time. Now I can't imagine editing without it. I run the program routinely at the beginning of an edit to take care of those annoying issues (like transposed punctuation marks) that would otherwise irritate me and slow me down while editing, then run it again at the end for that final polish—a check of spelling, punctuation, word usage, conformation to style, and so on. I send off the final document feeling more confident that I have sent the best quality edit possible.

PerfectIt works beautifully in Word for Windows, and while there is a Mac version, that platform is not nearly as thorough or helpful. In the end, because I consider PerfectIt essential to my editing workflow, I ended up installing a Windows environment on my Mac so I could run Word and PerfectIt for Windows. In fairness, I now enjoy having both the Windows and Mac environments, but it would be nice to have the full version of PerfectIt available on a Mac.

Dorothy D.
Editor in USA
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

I really appreciate PerfectIt!

Kommentare: Generally very happy with PerfectIt! and also purchased a copy for a friend.

I love that the checks are so granular - - what a huge timesaver! I can select exactly what I want to check, and PerfectIt's suggestions are not buried in a tsunami of other checks and suggestions. For a recent book, many words were correctly presented as both lowercase and capitalized, depending on context. PerfectIt! enabled us to go through the text with great efficiency, ensuring that we had Name where we wanted the cap, and name where we wanted lowercase.

For my work, it would be helpful if PerfectIt! both identified potential spelling errors, and also gave me a way to export that list. My most recent editing job involved many Sanskrit words, and each one needed to be checked. PerfectIt! caught some of them. (Example: yoga asana (a pose in yoga) would be yoga aasana (double a at the beginning) in the book, which should present as a spelling error.

Erika L.
Copyeditor and proofreader in Kanada
Schreiben & Editieren, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Newest version is amazing!

Kommentare: This is absolutely worth the money! I literally use this software on every project that passes through my hands, and it gives me a great deal of confidence, knowing I don't need to stress about smaller issues.

The new Chicago Manual of Style add-on is an absolute game-changer. While it's wise to be familiar with the style guide, this function virtually eliminates the need to cross-reference, and it actually draws attention to issues that you may not have been aware of.

As one of my larger clients is a scientific journal, I wish there was more customization in the technical aspects. It would be nice to be able to identify things such as sentences and paragraphs beginning with a numeral, better identification of numbers being expressed in written or digit form when they're followed by a unit or not (as I find many are missed or it draws my attention instead to correct examples), and spacing around units (e.g., 12 mL vs. 12mL). In addition, I'd love for it to identify unusual capitalizations, as sometimes authors will capitalize words by mistake when there's no need for it. That would be a great additional check.

Ward W.
Copyeditor in USA
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

Time savings are far greater than the cost

Kommentare: Ensuring consistency in usage in long documents and books has been made easy by PerfectIt, and I always enjoy using it. It's intuitive, easy to use, and fast.

PerfectIt is fast, accurate, and makes no changes without my approval. I'm able to edit far faster and more thoroughly using PerfectIt than I could without it. The complexity of the scientific papers I edit requires concentration on the meaning, and having the mundane, repetitive work done by PerfectIt frees me up to concentrate on clarifying the language.

PerfectIt was very easy to integrate with my existing business processes. An area that could be improved is the process of blending styles. Also, locating the style files on my computer to move them into different directories could be made easier. Another improvement would be to enable adding to the built-in list of scientific measures (mm, kW, mL, etc.) so they're recognized when adding a nonbreaking space before them.

Nikki B.
Owner and Editor in USA
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

A welcome update for editors using CMOS but Cloud for Mac issues continue.

Kommentare: PerfectIt is essential for my business and the addition of the Chicago Manual of Style option is fabulous and will help me greatly in my editing business. Unfortunately, the Mac version is frustrating to use and still needs work. I've been frustrated by the need to run each check separately on book-length documents. Microsoft makes it impossible for me to report issues with PerfectIt because it asks me to send my documents to them. My clients' work is proprietary and that's not possible—a problem many editors have. I hope Intelligent Editing and Microsoft will continue to work to make PerfectIt Cloud for Mac better. More and more editors are using Macs and this is essential.

I love the addition of the Chicago Manual of Style function in PerfectIt. It is helping me catch more issues than in the past and as an editor, I'm thrilled to now have this function.

PerfectIt Cloud for Mac continues to be buggy, laggy, and hard to use on book-length documents on Macs. Checking hyphenation requires running the tests individually or else PerfectIt shows that it caught nothing. If you are using a Mac, be sure to run each test individually. But when checking Brackets and Quotes Left Open, try running it both separately and along with one other test because it sometimes won't work when you run it alone. The italics checker does not seem to work on my Mac and often freezes up or the ball just spins for an hour.

Hilary C.
Editor and trainer in Australien
E-Learning, Selbstständig

The tool every writer needs

5 letztes Jahr

Kommentare: As an editor, I run PerfectIt early on in a job to fix inconsistencies (e.g. in spelling, hyphenation and capitalisation) and tidy up the document (e.g. putting a nonbreaking space between numbers and units). I run it again at the end of the job to pick up anything I might have missed.

PerfectIt is a fabulous tool, very user-friendly and with great technical support. An add-in to MS Word, PerfectIt will save you time and improve the quality of your writing or editing. I particularly like the style guides, which make it easy to adhere to particular spelling (e.g. Australian, UK or US English) or style (e.g. EU, UN or WHO).

The program has a lot of features that are not immediately obvious and I had used it for a couple of years before I realised how much it could actually do. That is what drove me to develop courses to help people move quickly from beginner to confident user (see [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] )

Melissa H.
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

Great for Mac users. Even better for people on PCs.

4 vor 2 Wochen Neu

Kommentare: PerfectIt is, hands down, the best consistency checker out there, even for Mac users.

PerfectIt is easy to use, and it looks for consistency in a way that other software does not. It's saved me many times from making errors that would look unprofessional at best and downright wrong at worst. And the CMoS integration is wonderful, and makes checks easy and painless.

My biggest complaints all revolve around the fact that Mac users, and others working with the cloud version, are somewhat hobbled by our inability to customize what gets looked for and changed. That part is frustrating enough that I'm about ready to follow in the footsteps of several colleagues and buy the cheapest possible Windows laptop I can, as a subscription includes both the local installation and cloud access. Make the Mac version fully functional, and it'll be 5-star across the board.

Marion S.
President in Kanada
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

With PerfectIt, clients will think you have uncanny editing superpowers

Kommentare: PerfectIt makes my editing firm look good! I would never be able to catch all the inconsistencies in client documents that PerfectIt does on my own.

PerfectIt is superior in its ability to track punctuation and style inconsistencies across very long documents. And what is especially helpful to my firm—having government departments and medical organizations as clients—is PerfectIt’s treatment of abbreviations. PerfectIt not only finds abbreviations used only once and abbreviations that appear before their expanded term or have not been defined at all, it also provides a comprehensive list of abbreviations in a file.

My business hasn't had any real problems with this software. Any time I’ve experienced a technical glitch, PerfectIt’s IT support team emails me back within minutes of reporting an issue and resolves the problem right away.

Kate M.
Copyeditor in Australien
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

Takes care of the tedious stuff

5 letzten Monat Neu

Kommentare: As a freelancer working with multiple clients, PerfectIt is essential to my business. I highly recommend it to anyone involved in written communication.

This product changed my whole approach to copyediting when I first started to use it. It has increased my confidence in my work, as it takes care of all the tedious aspects of copyediting so I can focus on the aspects that require human judgement. I love the simplicity with which I can switch from one style to another for different documents. I also appreciate the responsiveness to queries; all my email queries have been quickly and professionally answered and quickly resolved.

It takes a little time and practice to understand it and apply it efficiently, but once you do, it's very powerful.

Nancy Q.
Editor in USA
Schreiben & Editieren, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Best editing tool out for the money and ease of use

5 letzten Monat Neu

Kommentare: I've been happy with this product since the beginning. It's economical and efficient and I am much more confident that my edits are good when I use this tool before returning it the work to my clients. A vast improvement over spell checking! In my own work, my confidence level is high that I've turned in a very clean product.

This product is pretty easy to use. The installation is simple with the wizard and it adds easily to Word software so it's always ready to use. I love being able to customize what I want PI to look for in the work I'm editing because there are big differences between editing fiction and non-fiction works.

Originally, I needed to have a CMOS subscription as well but with the new version, I have a CMOS option built into PerfectIt so I don't need both. I keep a current hard copy of the Chicago Manual of Style in my reference library in the office, but I no longer have to buy the subscription to it as well. Time and money saver.

Hannah J.
Freelance proofreader in UK
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

An excellent aid to ensuring consistency

5 letzten Monat Neu

Disclaimer: I have been offered a discount in exchange for my honest review of this product. All views are my own and are based on my use of the product over the last 5 years. PerfectIt is an indispensable tool for proofreaders and editors. Its consistency checking is excellent and its customisable style sheets are very useful. The product saves me a lot of time and means that I can concentrate more on reading for sense than on manual checking for issues such as missing brackets or inconsistent spellings.

It can take a little time to set up custom style sheets, but once you have them in place you can use them every time you work with a particular client or house style. The time investment is definitely worth it.