Über ProtonMail

ProtonMail ist ein ausgezeichneter Anbieter für verschlüsselte E-Mails. Das Unternehmen schützt die Daten und Kommunikation von Millionen von Organisationen.

Erfahre mehr über ProtonMail

The interface outlay is confusing at the beginning.

Bewertungen zu ProtonMail

ProtonMail hat eine Gesamtbewertung von 4,6 von 5 Sternen basierend auf 111 Nutzerbewertungen auf Capterra.

Hast du ProtonMail bereits verwendet?

Vlad
Vlad
CEO in Deutschland
Bildungsmanagement, 11–50 Mitarbeiter

10 of 10 email I have tested!

Kommentare: Since they started the beta testing a few years back, it's been fantastic for me. I've been able to do email migrations with both the premium and free versions that I've used. It is, in my opinion, the best email choice, even for businesses.10 out of 10.

Pro, with this encrypted email service, user privacy is prioritized. Not all providers offer this crucial service; instead, the majority mine your data and sell it to outside parties. Good luck in finding other one!

Cons: Starting to handle it can be a little confusing at first.

Thomas
Director in USA
Onlinemedien, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

My Go-To Choice for Moving Away from Gmail

Kommentare: A lot of the problem I'm solving has to do with 19 years of wrangling a Gmail inbox until it became a hot mess of unread emails from lists I didn't remember subscribing to. Now that I'm a more mature email consumer, I expect that the new digs at ProtonMail won't get that way. I'm instantly unsubscribing/spam-labeling mass mail that I didn't ask for instead of "letting it ride."ProtonMail has a simpler interface, simply because it has fewer features ... features which I seldom used in Gmail anyway. Sometimes less is more.I'm happy with it. It's not "free" like Gmail and some other offerings, but it's solid, it's simple, it's privacy-centric, and it offers the features I need.

After nearly two decades using Gmail, I decided to make a change. I had operated a free ProtonMail account for some time, but since I was also using their VPN and password management products, I decided to pull the trigger and upgrade to "Mail Plus" -- unlimited daily messages instead of the weak 150-message limit for a free account, 15Gb of space on their "Drive" storage utility, etc.So far, so good. For about $5 US a month (less if you pay annually or biennially), it's a simple email interface with strong encryption available to protect privacy. It does at least as good a job at catching spam as Gmail, maybe a little better. The paid upgrade comes with one custom domain (if you host your own site you can create MX records and use ProtonMail as the domain catch-all, etc. if you prefer to not just have your host forward stuff).Anyone who's been at the same Gmail address since 2004 likely -- like me -- has an overflowing inbox full of newsletters you may or may not have actually subscribed to or want anymore. I've been selectively -- VERY selectively -- moving subscriptions I want over to ProtonMail and drawing my Gmail inbox down toward the abandonment point.

My one and only one criticism of ProtonMail is with their "Drive" product. In theory, it works like Google Drive or DropBox -- you can store data there and access it directly from your desktop. Unfortunately, at the moment it only offers a Windows desktop application for doing that, so Mac, ChromeOS, and Linux users (I'm that last niche) are out of luck. When and if they release a Linux app, I'll probably abandon DropBox.

Dan
CTO in Rumänien
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, Selbstständig

Expensive, restrictive, poor support

2,0 vor 2 Monaten Neu

Kommentare: I have been using Protonmail Business (their highest tier) for about a year. I wanted a reliable e-mail service I could use for my freelance work and a few of my personal websites that did not harvest all of my data. ProtonMail was more expensive than pretty much any other e-mail service, presumably because they force you to buy their password manager, VPN, drive, and calendar solutions. I did not need all of these solutions and never used them, nor did I want super-secure e-mail. Nevertheless, I signed up for a 2-year Business plan because of the good reviews, 15 custom domains, and the unlimited SimpleLogin addresses. The first surprise came when I tried to set up my e-mail client. Turns out that Protonmail does not offer SMTP/IMAP and there is no desktop app either (well, there is but it's in closed beta for ages). Using other clients requires installing and configuring protonmail-bridge (a sort of e-mail proxy).
This is an acceptable workaround for PCs, however, it is complicated and often impossible to configure for web servers, in particular virtualized or hosted setups. I tried a few community alternatives to protonmail-bridge but ended up having to restart the services daily because the bridge would randomly crash without any warning or error.
Support was next to useless. Taking days or weeks to reply with boilerplate text that had nothing to do with my case. Eventually, I decided to migrate all business-critical mail away from Proton. MXRoute offers unlimited custom domains (and a lot of other cool things Proton does not) for a lifetime price that is equal to a yearly subscription to Proton, so I went with them. I decided to cancel my Proton subscription to avoid being charged for another 2 years. Worst of all was what happened when I tried to cancel: despite having paid for 2 years, as soon as I canceled my subscription, I INSTANTLY and WITHOUT WARNING lost access to all premium features for the remainder of the period (about 1 year). This means that all of the addresses I created for custom domains were deleted (luckily I had already migrated them). It also meant that all of my e-mail clients stopped receiving or sending mail because protonmail-bridge is not available for free-tier... Even Google lets you use the remainder of your subscription when canceling...
Even my SimpleLogin aliases are going to be disabled because - get this - since Protonmail bought SimpleLogin and bundled it with their product, aliases are disabled when you downgrade (instead of just restricting your ability to create more like SimpleLogin used to to). I begged support to convert my credit to a SimpleLogin or even a Proton subscription but they refused. My only option is to purchase a significantly more expensive monthly subscription for 5 months (instead of the 9 I had left).
Maybe ProtonMail was at some point customer-oriented. But my experience with them has been the opposite: overpriced, restrictive, unfriendly money-grabbers. Which frankly leads me to question their privacy and security claims as well.

zero-access encryption, unlimited SimpleLogin addresses, custom domains

- They force you to purchase their Drive, Calendar, VPN and Password Manager which means even the cheapest plan is very expensive compared to competitors. - There is no desktop app and using other clients requires installing and configuring protonmail-bridge (an e-mail server proxy) - The custom domains are useless because they do not offer SMTP/IMAP servers and protonmail-bridge does not work on any sort of virtualized webserver setup -> understandable because of the E2E encryption. - Their support is slow to reply and usually replies with boilerplate text that is not helpful or relevant. - I deactivated my subscription with 1 year remaining and instantly lost access to *all* premium features without any warning.

Sean
Energy Consultant in USA
Verbraucherdienste, Selbstständig

Proton mail. Whether the free service or paid service.

Kommentare: From day one, I've never had a problem. As soon as I heard about this company from one of my friends, I started. using it. I have one for business. I have one for personal the. free version of this is more than enough for any user.

I was thinking of free service. is clean, clear, user friendly, if not more user friendly. Then let's say Google, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc, etc. Fact that they're in Switzerland and have very strict laws about privacy. Ironically, more strict than the US It is definitely a great email service. to use weather for business or personal.

I don't have really anything bad to say. I do use their VPN, I love their proton pass. username and password. extensions for the browsers which is free compared to the last pass and everything else., no, I don't have any cons.

Non-Profit-Organisation Management, 201–500 Mitarbeiter

The UI makes it an easy switch from Gmail

Kommentare: An easy switch from other email service providers. The UI offers great user experience and is very appealing to my eyes in comparison to the like of Tutanota Mail.

My friend recommended Proton Mail to me sometime back. I have come to like it. Notably they have an Easy Switch feature which I used to move my emails from Gmail and I didn't loose any information whatsoever. The UI in Proton is very user friendly and almost similar to Gmail in my view. I was able to adapt to it easily and haven't regretted the switch. Having been very accustomed to conversation grouping in Gmail, finding this feature in Proton Mail greatly improves my workflow. It is somewhat even better than in Gmail. For example, I am able to keep my emails less cluttered and improve my storage space. This is because in Proton, once you delete the conversation say in the inbox folder, same conversation is deleted in the sent folder. Saves a lot of time for me. This feature lacks in Tutanota and was a deal breaker.

Well, the very same cool feature of Conversation grouping / view is also my stress point. I find Proton has very high level of inconsistency across the various platforms. Conversation view is unavailable on the Android platform and just makes my head go wild. Why is it so hard to have similar features across multiple platforms? I hope future updates shall address some of these issues.

Professionelles Training & Coaching, Selbstständig

ProtonMail is a wonderful experience!

Kommentare: I really enjoy using ProtonMail. It was easy and intuitive to adopt. All of its features are on par or better than its competitors with the added benefits of encryption. I appreciate the company communications about their mission and sense of corporate advocacy (they support journalists and others who need secure communications). Being a paid member of the Proton world (Mail, Drive, VPN) feels like a very personal experience in the generally faceless, mega-corporate online communications industry.

There is so much I love about this product - the encryption, the minimal (not distracting) layout, the ease of use, the fun extras (like alternate addresses) - but what really sets it apart is the customer service. Of course there is a written help guide and it is also clear and, well, helpful. If that doesn't answer my question or solve my problem, I can easily email a real person and expect a thorough and polite response within a day. Coming from past applications where no human could be found, this was breath-taking enough. New to this treatment, I was remiss in replying. Imagine my delight and amazement when I then received a follow-up email asking if this had solved my issue and could they consider the service request closed? This is a civilized way to run a software company.

Accessing filter creation and editing requires clicking through more than one screen and I would love a "filter this" button in greater proximity to the actual email. The company regularly requests feedback from users and I have included this, so I am hopeful it is on a work list somewhere in their pipeline.

Alexandra
CEO in Estland
Marketing & Werbung, Selbstständig

Useful and secure that comes with a price

Kommentare: I think its a great, secure tool. But very hard to use for non technical people. Love the VPN functionality, and the new storage.

I love Protonmail. It is secure, I was an early user (due to having many geeky friends, who recommended it), but am hopelessly overburdened by the tech side of it. They have recently expanded by adding storage to protonmail, which was long needed. Their customer service that used to take ages is getting a bit faster as well.

I know it can do a lot, but if you're not a techie, you won't use a fraction of what is possible with the paid version- and that includes VPN, Proton bridge, etc. So if I want any changes to my account, email redirects or whatever else, I have to ask friends or my assistant to change it. Which- in case a protonmail admin has to fix something, can take weeks. It would be AWESOME if you had video tutorials for different needs!

Patrick
Content Manager in USA
Internet, Selbstständig

A Near-Perfect Personal Email Provider

Kommentare: I was an early adopter, and their apps and service have continued to improve over time. The free plan is good enough for a Gmail replacement, but the paid plans give you access to many other services like a calendar, file storage, vpn, and more.

This is an excellent option for your personal email account. No ads, and completely secure when emailing other Proton accounts. This service has also consistently improved over time and has grown into an entire suite of privacy focused services.

You lose most of the security when sending email to accounts outside of ProtonMail.

Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Secure Email

Kommentare: I think it's a great email service overall and I plan to continue to be a customer for the long term

- It's easy to create and use several aliases and domains - The Catch-All Email is very useful when someone mistype the email addresses - The folders and tags are handy to better organize the received emails - As advertised, the product DNA is very secure

- The VPN can make the connection a little bit slower - Some emails have ended up in the spam folder of some contacts - I find it somewhat expensive (I'm on the Professional plan) but I'm willing to continue supporting the company

Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 51–200 Mitarbeiter

Privacy has a high price

Kommentare: Overall I am quite satisfied with my experience with free ProtonMail plan so far. If I were to purchase and upgrade, I would consider a different provider, though.

The web client and mobile apps are easy to use, which is not something every email provider can offer. There is a built-in PGP support and other privacy-oriented features like expiring and password protected emails.

No IMAP/SMTP support without upgrading to a paid plan which is quite expensive comparing to other providers. Free users are therefore limited to the official mobile app which is not yet available in F-Droid.

Skyler
Content Writer in USA
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

ProtonMail is great for email if privacy and security is your main focus

Kommentare: ProtonMail is ideal for individuals who value privacy and security with emails. It has now expanded to offer a calendar, file storage and VPN. I'd highly recommend it for privacy-conscious users. However, I tried ProtonMail for business use for a few months and switched back to Google WorkSpace.

I like that ProtonMail focuses on privacy and uses encrypted services data to help keep your data private and not sell it or monitor and track everything you do. Many companies claim to offer data security, but ProtonMail proves it, and is transparent about its practices with peer-review and independent audits. All data is stored on Swiss servers and protected under Swiss privacy laws for total peace of mind. ProtonMail offers a free version of its email without ads, a refreshing difference from Gmail scanning emails to show you ads.

ProtonMail is more focused on individual clients who value privacy above everything else. I used it briefly with my domain to get a custom email address, but it didn't have all of the features that I needed to run my freelancing business. The free option is only limited to 1 GB of storage and is much lower than other email providers. ProtonMail was also developed by scientists, so their advertising and promotion aren't really as good as other companies - and most people I know have never even heard of them.

Roger
Niche Growth Facilitator in Kanada
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

A Reliable Privacy Based Email

Kommentare: ProtonMail is an encrypted email service that uses end-to-end encryption to protect your data from prying eyes. It's easy to use, and perfect for anyone who wants to keep their emails private. ProtonMail also has a built-in VPN, so you can be sure your data is always safe and secure. It was reliable, but did have occasional outages.

ProtonMail is super easy to use, and it provides a high level of security for your data. ProtonMail also has a built-in VPN, which means you can be sure your data is always safe and secure. I like that I can use a regular email application to download and backup all email. The mobile application is a useful feature.

ProtonMail I don't think is as widely used as other email providers, and it can be a bit more expensive than some other options. Often the mobile application notifies you of a new email, when it's already been viewed through their webmail portal.

Isabel
Portrait artist in USA
Kunst & Handwerk, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Best way to get the government out of your email!

Kommentare: It's been great! It was tricky moving over emails from my former email server, but now they've solved that issue. I can star and sort my emails out as easy as other email programs and it's been great to use!

I love the security of ProtonMail! I'm sick of the government wanting to spy on us 24/7 and all the new ways they have found to single out anyone who thinks differently. I want my clients' personal emails to stay private and I'm thrilled that I found ProtonMail for this!

At the time, integrating this with my years and years of client emails was a pain in the butt. They have since added features which I've heard makes it so much easier.

Ismael
Administrador in Spanien
Medienproduktion, 11–50 Mitarbeiter

Great private mail

Kommentare: Is a usefull product for improve privacy, filtering spam mails and send encrypted files (mainly between Proton and Proton).

As personal as professional ProtonMail will give you an extra security layer and protecting your privacy, i think that is the most valuable of it.

Is a bit annoying when you must to learn some shortcuts or change it when every product uses the same, except Proton.

Qais
Customer service representative in Jordanien
Computer-Software, 51–200 Mitarbeiter

The Underrated Mail

Kommentare: Easy to use ,user-friendly , free , secure , reliable , fast , smooth , no errors , no mail delays and much more

high protection system , protonmail is linked to my financial accounts and I feel safe with , I've been using it for more than three years and its perfect , informs me with my new mails immediately , no delays.

I can't think of anything bad in this system , I'm comfortable using it with no issues and I won't give it up.

Pamela
Analyst in USA
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 11–50 Mitarbeiter

Nice interface but missing some key features

Kommentare: Overall, I am making it work to get the security of ProtonMail. However, the user experience is much less sophisticated than Gmail. Somewhat disappointed.

I really like the ease of setting up and customizing. I use both the web-based on my desktop and the app on my mobile device.

1) No way to schedule a future email. 2) Contact Group setup is too arduous becasue you cannout select all, you must do each contact one by one. 3) Contacts Filter does not display names alphabetically. Very hard to work with large groups. 4) Max recipients of 100 is too restrictive for the paid version!

Navneet
Computer-Software, 51–200 Mitarbeiter

The proton mail review

Kommentare: Overall experience is good.

It is one of the most secure mail services out there in the market. If do not need to worry about tempering or leakage of any mail they are end to end encrypted. Also the feature to self destruct is also very handy and helpful.

The only thing that I dislike about protonmail is the support service.

Internet, Selbstständig

A good alternative to the Internet giants

Kommentare: I use Protonmail on a daily basis. I will possibly stop using other mail managers and migrate all my contacts to Protonmail.

It is an extraordinary mail manager. It lacks nothing to become your favorite and daily use email manager. They guarantee an extra layer of security and privacy that other companies do not give.

The protonmail.com domain is not well known and some people receiving mail from this domain may think it is SPAM. This will be solved when Protonmail becomes more and more known.

Amin
research assistant in USA
Hochschulbildung, 501–1.000 Mitarbeiter

It is nice, easy, and reliable

Kommentare: I wanted to try something other than outlook and gmail so I tried this service. Surprisingly it meets the standards of an email service. It is definitely not comparable to main email service providers but it is simple and get the job done.

ProtonMail is an end-to-end encrypted email service. So it is very reliable service. It has all main features someone may need and expect in an email service. Very easy to setup. The downside is its simple face which does not have features which for example gmail offers. It comes in two options; free service and the other service which you have to pay for it. I am using the free version. Overall, it is an easy nice service.

It does not have many features offered by other email services. For example when you send an email and all of a sudden you do not want to send the email that you just send, so you can undo the send process. This feature is available in other services but not in the free version of protonmail.

anil
anil
Bildungsmanagement, 501–1.000 Mitarbeiter

Ui friendly mail

Kommentare: The most attractive feature of this product is its user interface which is both attractive and easy to use.The security is also good for this level pricing

The most important function of any mail service provide is security and the proton mail provides highest security and military grade encryption. It user interface is a also friendly and easy to use which saves a lot of time. It email filtering system is also good makes spam mails go into bin

The storage limit can be increased even though we have to upgrade it. The features of different platforms doesn't needed to change and can be kept same.

Anand
Anand
Program Manager in Indien
Non-Profit-Organisation Management, 201–500 Mitarbeiter

Easy to use!

Best email application to use & end-to-end encrypted email without any hustle we can attach documents to email.

A little bit more space/cloud storage is needed. Sometimes it goes to the spam box if the customer using outlook!

Angelo
IT Advisor in USA
Architektur & Planung, 11–50 Mitarbeiter

You start for free. Then you want to pay for it.

Kommentare: It has helped me a lot in communications with local service providers that will only be contracted once. The interface is simple to use. And you can feel even in the free version, that you have a real quality product.

The free version is very powerful, you have everything you need. However, in the pro version you have more storage space, the mail is faster and the technical support works great.

In some countries it does not work, you must use a VPN to be able to update the mail. Only in the free version, the delivery time is slower. Other email providers may restrict ProtonMail email delivery

Kaan
Kaan
Sound designer in Türkei
Unterhaltung, Selbstständig

Secure and private

ProtonMail is my go-to email services when it comes to signing up for websites, receiving and sending emails. It is free and open source along with being free, which is quite neat in my opinion.

Some websites don't accept ProtonMail for signing up, which is no good. Other than that, I have no complaints.

Bhavik
Computer-Software, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Protonmail - The Mail Man

Kommentare: Great Mailing app to use with ease

Privacy and Security, Ease of doing business

I like all the features! There are no features I dislike!

Asst. Executive Director in USA
Non-Profit-Organisation Management, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Secure email in an age where privacy is elusive

Kommentare: Great software if you value your privacy and need a mail service to send sensitive documents.

I love the fact that the UI is clean, and best of all, no external remote images are displayed in the emails by default. And if all that wasn't enough, the servers, and therefore my data, are located in Switzerland. Switzerland, with its strong data privacy laws, is the country of choice to house the sensitive data of its users.

The user interface is clean, but it is not intuitive. Many areas of the mail service were hidden behind obtuse titles and confusing icons. Additionally, the service is a little expensive