Feature-Packed, Reliable Way to Sell Digital Software

Bewertet am 26.4.2019
Dave W.
Computer-Software, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Overall, Easy Digital Downloads are pretty simple to use. They've done a great job with the admin UI, providing easy-to-understand settings to customize the experience, while not overwhelming you with too much. It's also been incredibly reliable. I've had it running for almost a year now, selling both a WordPress plugin & an online course. I've updated it, and some of its extensions, several times without any issues. Everything just works. And that's exactly what you want out of your ecommerce solution. And because it's such a popular plugin, there are many third-party developers & extensions that can help with all kinds of additional functionality. The EDD ecosystem is a healthy one.

Vorteile: EDD might offer more bang for your buck than any other WordPress plugin out there. The core software provides a solid foundation, and the number of official extensions is truly astounding. Everything from marketing tools to payment gateways to third-party integrations... they've got you covered. Their software licensing extension has single-handedly allowed me to make over $20k this year selling a WordPress plugin, and the Recurring Payments (Subscriptions) extension will likely help that number grow tremendously in the years to come.

Nachteile: I can only think of two rather small negative experiences I've had. Their support response time is a little longer than what I'd ultimately prefer. Because of the nature of the plugin, it is a crucial part of my business. Sales don't stop on weekends, and if there are any issues, one or two days with a critical issue could be costly to my business. I still haven't had to wait more than 36 hours for a response, so it's not terrible. And the responses I have received have been thorough and helpful. And while their documentation is extensive (it has to be to cover all the extensions they have), it is somewhat outdated, and could use some refinements.

The most reliable way to sell digital goods securely

Scott B.
Owner/Lead Web Strategist
Computer-Software, Selbstständig

Vorteile: Selling anything takes tons of work, but EDD takes care of a lot of heavy lifting. Rather than building your own eCommerce store from scratch (which means working with credit card merchant processor APIs, securing checkout information, generating unique download access tokens, etc), building on top of EDD gives you an immediate head start. I've used other WordPress-based platforms, but always found EDD to be the most customizable. To top it off, the team behind it knows what they're doing and care about their customers.

Nachteile: As with any WordPress software, in the end of the day you are responsible for the maintenance and making sure nothing breaks. Thankfully the EDD team has always shown that they care about backwards compatibility, testing their updates, and providing good support if needed.

Easy, quality and support are the reasons to to license Easy Digital Downloads

Jim K.
Unterhaltung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Of the few times I have contacted support, our rep has gone above and beyond normal help. I had a conflict with one site, and he wrote a plugin to fix the incompatibility. Our rep rocks!

Vorteile: Ease of use. Easy to install. Easy to maintain.

Nachteile: Some extensions lack desired functionality.

Best decision I made

William H.
General Manager
Design, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Always responsive and willing to help.

Vorteile: It’s easy to use and implement. You can customize basically every aspect to fit your business.

Nachteile: I struggled to keep my data when pushing my staging site live.

Does what you want it to - right out of the box

Bewertet am 26.4.2019
Co-Producer, Writer, Media Manager
Internet, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: One other thing that I really appreciate about EDD is the support. So I had a few questions and contacted support a few different times. Their answers to me didn't make me want to set my laptop on fire. We all know customer support that might fill up some pixels with words and such but actually not answer the question. Or make assumptions. With the folks at EDD I got quick responses that were helpful and actionable. It's been more than 1 year since I last contacted them but I remember well how much I liked interacting with them because THEY DIDN'T WASTE MY TIME. For that reason alone you should pull the trigger and use Easy Digital Downloads if it makes sense to your own website's goals.

Vorteile: I've used the free version of EDD for a couple of clients, and it worked perfectly. A new client wanted more functionality and rather than code something myself, I used their free downloads addon (which isn't free, and I know! The name is confusing!) so that the client could have a record of who was downloading various files available on their website. This remains the first and only premium plugin to work so intuitively, easily, that I didn't have to clog up my computer with screenshots so that I could show the client how to use it. Simple and elegant.

Nachteile: The only issue I had is so minor it should not be an impediment to anyone thinking about getting their own copy of the plugin. It's that this free downloads addon has / had it set up on the admin panel "Customer and product" as if the interaction were a purchasing one. A little confusing to my client, an NGO type of organization with no e-commerce on their website.

EDD is helpful for freelance but overpriced

Bewertet am 1.8.2019
Dominique S.
Transcriptionist
Übersetzung und Lokalisierung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I feel stuck purchasing it for my freelance services but am being overpriced.

Vorteile: I use EDD because I am a transcriptionist and operate a transcription service through my wordpress app. I found this to be more applicable than woocommerce for my particular situation.

Nachteile: The pricing is outrageous especially to add of simple features. The high-cost extra features are crazy over priced. It doesn't function with other plugins and basic wordpress features as well as woocommerce does.

Best WordPress Plug-in to Deliver Digital Products

James H.

Kommentare: Easy to use and to integrate in to any WordPress website.

Vorteile: It is easy to setup and use. Easy Digital Download solved our need for customers to be able to download our software after purchasing. Customer sales information available with a few clicks. We can offer discount codes, track downloads and more... Great piece of software..

Nachteile: All of the additional extensions you must buy even for some simple functions . Some seems a bit pricey.

The go-to WordPress ecommerce solution for sales and distribution of digital products

Bewertet am 12.9.2019
Rick P.
Design, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: There aren't a lot of choices in this space so we're kind of stuck with EDD. It works. It does a lot of you're willing to pony up. I'm just not impressed with the backend at all anymore. It's powerful but couldn't it be a little friendlier?

Vorteile: Creating a download using Easy Digital Downloads for WordPress is in fact easy to do. Add a download, set a price, limit stock, add tags and categories if desired, hit publish. There it is. However, see below. The free version does allow two payment gateways: PayPal basic and Amazon Payments. Any site owner other than a hobbyist will want to upgrade. There are a myriad of integrations and extension for making EDD more powerful and lots of support from dozens of companies. EDD is the standard are there are no lack of solutions.

Nachteile: I've yet to have a client who understood the relationship between the set up on the backend and the results on the frontend. Most can create downloads and then wonder, well, now what? The Now What? is definitely for WordPress pros because the plugin, curiously, has no onboarding of any kind, no tooltips, no inline documentation. It's kind of up to the user to figure out WTH is going on. Such as, how does anyone buy anything? This confusion is good for WP implementers like me but it seems a little primitive considering some of the sophisticated onboarding systems plugin authors have been able to build recently. Also, all the extensions and their interactions can get confusing. And very expensive. The Personal Pass, the cheapest subscription, is not cheap.

A 10+ Year Old Digital Goods Store Gets An Update To The Modern Era

Kevin M.
Musik, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: When our 10+ year old digital e-commerce store needed an update to the modern era, EDD made the e-commerce part of the transition as easy as possible. It was great to be able to develop on WordPress knowing the checkout and file delivery system would be taken care of reliably, and that there would be well-developed extensions available for adding important features easily.

Vorteile: Ability to develop custom features and layouts on top of the base e-commerce software

Nachteile: Cart Recovery extension didn't work well at the time it was available.

The Best for Digital Content

Bewertet am 9.9.2019
Nicole D.
Medienproduktion, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Overall my experience has been great and my shop has been thriving.

Vorteile: Speed and simplicity . My website is much fast with EDD than it was with woocommerce, which I used for about 2 years before switching. It's also so simple, customers dont need to full out a ton of info for a download. Because of the speed and simplicity my sales doubled the month I switched to EDD.

Nachteile: It's a bit tricky to make customizations to your shop page if you're using a theme that's not built with an EDD stylesheet included and you don't have any coding knowledge. I couldn't find a plugin to do what I wanted with the shop appearance so I had to create a file in my theme and code it myself.

The Only Solution For Digital Product Selling

Bewertet am 27.4.2019
Phill H.
Internet, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: It works just how you'd expect it to, and with very little effort. The hardest bit was finding the shortcodes to setup a members area. But other than this one area, everything is just as good as you could expect.

Vorteile: So easy to use. Unlike WooCommerce, EDD doesn't sell you extensions that appear to come from WooCommerce directly but turn out to be from 3rd parties. Likewise, EDD actually does what it says it will and it does it quickly and easily. WooCommerce on the other hand gets you to buy numerous extensions only for you to find out that you can't actually sell a subscription pass for subscription based products. With EDD every combination is possible with very little work required.

Nachteile: It's a little bit expensive for a new store.

Nothing Else Compares!

Melanie M.
Designer
Grafikdesign, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I long that I can create an entire store online and have it do all of the work for me with very little effort. It takes care of all of the backend stuff and lets me and my team focus on creating and designing our logos that we create for sale on our site. All of the downloads, invoicing and sales are all seamlessly handed with ease by EDD!!

Vorteile: So easy to use and so easy to setup. I like that is was so easy to start using right away and customize to my personal needs and preferences. You don't need to no any coding or programming it's so user friendly!

Nachteile: Nothing, I love everything about EDD. Keep up the excellent work!

Makes Selling From Your Website Easy!

Kathy P.
Business Coach & Consultant
Professionelles Training & Coaching, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I use EDD for my free download gifts, but also to sell reports, guides, and consulting sessions

Vorteile: It's very easy to use, even for beginners & non techs

Nachteile: I wish it would provide options for selling a service ( i.e. book an appt)

Great Product

Zack V.
Internet, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I sell digital products, WordPress themes, and it works very well

Vorteile: It's very easy to use and offer a lot of needed functionality

Nachteile: The reporting can be improved but I've seen that's coming in EDD 3.0

Best WordPress plugin to sell digital products

Bewertet am 27.4.2019
Sampath S.
Store owner
Design, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I have been using EDD for last 5 years for my online stores which sells templates. I still do not find a better alternative :) Their support team is amazing. Sometimes the plugin owner him self reply when a question is asked.

Vorteile: Easy to setup
No maintenance issues
Free version offer most of the features a typical online store wants
Fast and friendly support from the developers

Nachteile: Not many free third party extensions available
Official extensions are expensive

The best for digital products

Bewertet am 30.8.2019
Ioannis C.
Internet, Selbstständig

Kommentare: WooCommerce was too much of an overkill just for digital products. So, EDD was one of the choices considered and after some testing it turned to be the better choice.

Vorteile: - Easy to setup and configure.
- Works with WPML.
- Works with Divi.
- Small footprint.

Nachteile: - Need to buy plugins to extend it.
- Free plugins very limited.

Straightforward eCommerce solution for digital goods

Bewertet am 30.7.2019
Peg P.
Kunst & Handwerk, Selbstständig

Kommentare: This ha been so smooth I've never considered switching to a competitor.

Vorteile: Easy to install.
Assistance and hints simple to understand.
Most common payment methods implemented.
Provides ability to easily create a test environment and switch over when ready for production.

Nachteile: Doesn't track free downloads - have to be dealt with separately.

Simplifies Online Sales

David D.
Executive Director

Vorteile: Love the ease of use, the many available extensions.

Nachteile: I haven't really discovered anything yet that I have issues with.

Great group of products for developers

Bewertet am 1.8.2019
Raj T.
Self
Fluggesellschaften/Luftfahrt, Selbstständig

Vorteile: The best part about EDD is the ecosystem — the fact that it offers tonnes of integrations and everything just works internally!

Nachteile: Pricing could be a little steep, but since there’s always some revenue from selling digital products, it does make up for it.

Best software for selling digital goods

Bewertet am 5.5.2019
Jennifer B.
Web Master
Konsumgüter, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I have been able to feature products by categories and showcase all products in a brilliant matter

Vorteile: Easy to use and has great free plugins to optimize your online store to feature your products so customers will have an easy search for products

Nachteile: A must have plugin product reviews is a paid extention and a little pricey

Best in Class!

Bewertet am 17.4.2019
Adam S.
Verbraucherdienste, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: when I had a question could not have been more seamless fix. I opened a ticket and got feedback promptly. Additionally, they suggested another way of resolving my issue that I didn't even consider.

Vorteile: In the past trying to figure out how to set things up to sell online seemed to take forever! EDD makes it really and I mean really simple. They have literally thought of everything!

Nachteile: What's not to like? :) The software/plugin works as described and has helped me sell my ebook!

Awesome, love it

Bewertet am 29.8.2019
Brant C.
Freizeit, Reisen & Tourismus, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I've used it on many projects and always love when I get to use it. Beats Woocommerce!

Vorteile: EDD is easy and straightoforward to use, the code is clean and there are tons of options for developers to customize it

Nachteile: I honestly couldn't think of anything I would change about it. Does the job perfectly in my opinion!

Easy digital download is just the best for me

Ibezim C.
Administrator
Zeitung, Selbstständig

Vorteile: It's very very light weight. It's just too easy to use.

Nachteile: It's basic. Not much fun for tech geeks and developers

The best digital download seller plugin ever i used

Bewertet am 30.8.2019
Md afzal H.
COO
Design, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: 1) easy to use
2) easy to upload product and eit
3) details report

Nachteile: 1) there are not much free plugins for easy digital downloads as woocommerce

Great plugin for digital goods

Jesus V.
Web Designer
Onlinemedien, Selbstständig

Vorteile: Here are what I consider are the pros:
-Easy to use
-Inexpensive
-Extendable

Nachteile: This is a mostly complete software without any cons in my opinion