OriginPro

Excellent Data Analysis and Visualization Package

Jess F.
Principal Scientist
Öl & Energie, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I really love this software and have been using it as my preferred data analysis package since 2001 when I started my professional career. Previously I had used Excel, Igor and Axum (not extinct). I wish I really had time to fully leverage the amazing power available, but like most users I suspect I only utilize 10% of the capability.

Vorteile: The statistical analysis, curve fitting and regression built ins are outstanding. I also utilize the multi-axis graphing capability which is excellent. I really appreciate the customer service as well, they are good at helping unravel even complex needs into relatively simple steps in the software. Once additional gem is the built in data digitization for Cartesian and Polar coordinate images.

Nachteile: This software has so many features it is mind boggling, so it is sometimes very hard to find what you are looking for. In addition, I find the array math based formulas and calculations difficult since I learned data analysis in Excel and still use that for management and business analysis. that makes jumping back into the array programming difficult when I first switch back to Origin. Origin has added Excel like formulation to the software, but I haven't figured out how to set that feature up as yet. I really need to digitize circular plots that are non-polar coordinate.

Good Software needs improvement

Bewertet am 10.7.2019
Ashok K.
Research Scientist
Nanotechnologie, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: My overall experience is good at working with this software. I plot a lot of graphs and almost use this software every day for presentation, meeting, and manuscripts. However, being a Mac user, I have a hard time switching between Windows and Mac. The OriginPro team needs to find an option to design software for​ ​ Mac Users.​

Vorteile: I like Origin Pro since it is easy to plot different graphs. I use this software to plot various graphs with ease. This software is straightforward and easy to use with minimal experience. This software has unlimited features, and you can use them to fit any graphs, smoothens the plots, add error bars, etc. ​This simple software helps almost all the researchers to simplify the graphing workloads and to prepare beautiful figures, images for the presentation, and publication purposes.​

Nachteile: I do not recommend Origin Pro because of a few reasons. The first reason, it is a bit of expensive software for postdocs and researchers working in academics. Also, this software often freezes and sometimes crashes, and sometimes the program automatically closes. The other major drawback is this application does not​ support Mac Version. To run the program in Mac, you should have use virtualization software​ such as VirtualBox, Parallel Desktop for Mac, etc. ​

von OriginLab an 17.7.2019

Hi Ashok,

Thank you for the review.

Regarding your comment:
"Also, this software often freezes and sometimes crashes, and sometimes the program automatically closes. "
Could you please let us know what version you are using, and if the crashes occur when you do specific operations?

OriginLab

Fascinating, remarkable and extremely useful

Bewertet am 2.2.2020
Research Assistant
Forschung, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: As a researcher, OriginPro is quite an amazing and versatile software as it offers numerous options for better visualizing your data. We use it on a regular basis for making graphs for reports and journal publications.

Nachteile: Price: Procuring the required license for this software is kind of expensive and it does prevent a number of students from taking the full advantage of it

OriginPro 2019

Bewertet am 26.11.2019
Raja K.
CSO
Biotechnologie, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I use it mainly to do data analysis, e.g. fitting numerical data to functions or models. Additionally, I use it to rapidly produce finished plots and graphs to include in reports, presentations and grant applications.

Vorteile: I have extensively depended on Origin software during the past two decades, and recently needed it again after a hiatus. I was extremely pleased to see how powerful it has remained while maintaining its original design. Its ability to read legacy data files from other unrelated programs has been greatly useful to me. Now it has become very elegant and exceptionally bug-free. It has retained much of its old work-flow and most of its algorithms, and it just hums under present day powerful computers. Its programmability means it has excellent potential to go beyond its built-in functions. Just a pure pleasure to use, and it fires up quickly to be useful in many different applications. It is superb for producing and exporting publication-quality graphs due to its great flexibility. A truly special program.

Nachteile: As with powerful software, it is not possible to comprehend all its functionality by just intuitive hunting. However, it does have excellent tutorials and a very responsive team to answer questions that come up. Most things that one does not "like" at first come down to not being familiar with its menus or flow. It certainly is not Excel or a simplistic program.

GUI lost its way

Bewertet am 5.6.2019
Senior Researcher
Forschung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I do data plotting and analysis. Anything from 2D graphs to matrices, 3D plots, spectral analysis and fitting.

Vorteile: Powerful tool included within the options on data analysis and data plot management

Nachteile: 1. Its interface and menus. Origin has grown massively in ways to customize every possible feature on the menu, let it be data fit or plotting. It produced very complicated and difficult to navigate menus with mirriad of tick boxes, fields, sub-options etc. Some of this make process of using software very painful.
2. Milti peak spectral fit of spectra with difficult base lines.

von OriginLab an 7.6.2019

Hello,

Thank you for the review.
Regarding your comment:
". Multi peak spectral fit of spectra with difficult base lines."
Could you please send us a sample case?

OriginLab

OriginPro for graphing and statistics is a good choice for pretty graphs and ease of use - it's fun!

Bewertet am 22.11.2019
Joseph D.
Research Associate
Essen & Trinken, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I've been using it for years and was impressed by the opportunities it provides rather than confused by the tremendous number of options to choose from. Best
Joseph

Vorteile: Ease of use, design of user interface and graphs, multiple ways to achieve the same thing (drag-and-drop, buttons, pop-ups...)

Nachteile: The yellow pop-ups are bothering me as I think this software is so intuitive that it won't take look to find out where to find the desired function to modify graphs, windows or save the project.

Excellent customizable options

Bewertet am 30.10.2019
Chelsea A.
PhD Candidate
Maschinenbau oder Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Excellent, our lab uses it everyday.

Vorteile: This plotting software is extremely customizable and I’ve never had a problem plotting what I want— it’s only ever a matter of figuring out how to do it! Googling and tutorials are your best friend but overall ease of use for this product is very high.

Nachteile: The only trouble is sometimes with organizing the window with large projects to visualize everything— I wish there was a way to have the one session spread over two screens in an easier way.

An essential tool for a researcher

Bewertet am 24.1.2020
Researcher
Forschung, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: It is perfect tool and vital for drawing graphs to compare and present the experimental results.

Vorteile: OriginPro’s predefined mathematical and statistical equation functions are the best. Some of the equations are even not defined in Matlab. Its spreadsheet interface is too easy to use with big chunk of data. My experimental data would not be more meaningful without originpro

Nachteile: Currently i have no problems with originpro. I hope they can add more functions such as code generation for importing several files at once. And matlab integration could be more extensive.

von OriginLab an 27.1.2020

Thank you for your review. We are eager to know what improvements related to matlab interactivity you would suggest. Please email us at tech@originlab.com. We look forward to hearing from you! Best, Technical Support

Origin needs to expand into GEOCHRONOLOGY

Bewertet am 6.11.2019
Stephen M.
Professor of Geology
Forschung, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Positive with the exception of TWO THINGS:
- licensing requirements are far too strict, I find myself having to renew my license more than once a year
- no software for GEOCHRONOLOGY. I have written and spoken to Origin before about this, there is a huge community of scientists in the Earth Sciences who use an outmoded and unsupported data analysis software run as Excel Add-ons, called "ISOPLOT". Origin would do well to take this one.

Vorteile: The beautiful output and ease of analysis.

Nachteile: That the licensing procedure is far too complicated and strict.

One of the best tool for understading and analysing data

Bewertet am 15.11.2019
Researcher
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Currently, I am using it for analysing my measurement outputs from Raman Spectroscopy and PL. After I parse the data with Python/MATLAB, the OriginPro makes my data more meaningful with Analysis options. In overall, I am happy there is OriginPro to make my data meaningful. However, needs to be improved.

Vorteile: OriginPro has all the functions you need to analyse your huge data. All these functions are predefined in itself. When you need meaningful data to share on academia, you need to use OriginPro to fit raw data. Curve fitting tools saves me a lot. It is spreadsheet interface is useful but a bit hard to use.

Nachteile: It needs automatization options to finish analysis faster. Instead, I am using Python or Matlab to parse data first, than I am able to use parsed data in OriginPro. It needs more automated-parsing features.

von OriginLab an 2.12.2019

Regarding your comment:
"Instead, I am using Python or Matlab to parse data first,"

Could you please provide some details on what is missing in Origin to parse data, so we can continue to improve this area?

Your feedback would be much appreciated. You can e-mail tech@originlab.com

Technical Support
OriginLab

I am an extremely satisfied user of Origin 2017/19! Origin is thoroughly recommended!

Bewertet am 13.10.2019
Lee E.
Technical Manager/Studaent
Nanotechnologie, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I use Origin to plot all types of chemical analysis data. There is usually a considerable amount of data to analyse and Origin allows you to plot and present much much more quickly and clearly than in Excel which has saved me so much time and trouble. The plotted data can be manipulated quickly to allow accurate and timely analysis. Once you have made a template, save it to use next time. Mathematical tools are installed as standard to allow calculations at a touch of a button. The list goes on....

Vorteile: I was introduced to the software at the start of my PhD (surface chemistry) by a few of my colleagues. They all said I should start using it as it was excellent. They were not wrong! The software is extremely easy to use well right out of the blocks. The presentation of data is truly superb, and frankly makes excel plots look extremely dated. Templates can be made as you work to speed up analysis and presenting. Data can be instantly presented in many types of plots and overlays. Calculations that take a relative age (if at all) in Excel take moments in Origin. As a chemist constantly looking at spectra, one of my favourite Origin features is the zoomed inset, which can be added with one click. I have had questions on occassion, and the Origin IT department respond immediately with the answers. I do still use Excel when I have to, but Origin is now my main data analysis tool. I really cannot say enough for Origin. The software and after service is truly excellent!!!

Nachteile: When I first installed Origin 2019, it took me 5-10 minutes to install the zoomed inset function ;) Seriously, there is nothing to dislike about Origin.

OriginPro: Pros and Cons.

Bewertet am 9.7.2019
Vahe G.
Sr. Scientist
Industrieautomation, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I like OriginPro very much. It allows me to accomplish most of my analysis tasks on fairly large data sets which are often beyond Excel's capabilities. However, I still use Excel for certain things since its capabilities are symmetric with respect to rows and columns [e.g., I can sum up values of a column and assign it to a cell on that column. I am not aware of this capability in Origin]. I also like the customer service since I have had many occasions to seek help from them. They are really helpful and often resolve issues within a few days.

Vorteile: High quality plotting and data presentation along with statistical analysis and data modeling.

Nachteile: It is not fast enough particularly with large data sets. It does not seem to use multi-core capabilities of CPU/GPU's. There seems to be more emphasis on developing new graphs and presentations rather that new analysis functionality. Origin has very little AI and machine learning capabilities! Origin needs a more friendlier interface in implementing expressions and formulas in column and row calculations e.g., why is accessing parameter cell values so difficult in column fill tab. Origin 2019 is slower than the previous versions!

Origin Pro

Bewertet am 10.7.2019
Mircea C.
Professor
Hochschulbildung, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I used Origin for all the graphs embedded in my articles and proposals.

Vorteile: Technically this is the best software that blends data representation (graphs) and data processing (fitting, modeling) capabilities.
I like the quality of graphs and the flexibility selecting the font size, color, type.
I do enjoy the possibility to fit the data and an improved simplified Basic (or elementary C) would be welcomed. Some issues with exponents and special functions may be noticed in some (few) cases.

Nachteile: 1. Imagine that you opened two Origin programs. Each has a different graph and you want to add another graph from the other origin file (opened). While it is possible to paste the figure you have no control over the transferred figure. I guess that as we are playing more and more frequently with complex graphs this may become an issue.
2. I have some data that can be represented as columns with numbers. I have three of them but I have a bad time playing with 3D graphs because: 1. Simple selecting the columns as X, Y, and Z does not generate a 3D graph. 2. It is not intuitive to move from one 3D graph to another type of 3 D Graph.
3. Simulations are a huge problem, mainly if the range of parameters is broad. Sometimes I have to drive the simulations in order to get the best outcome. Some improvement may be important.
4. We are starting to play with complex and artistic graphs. I do suggest to add at least a Microsoft Paint as a component of the software and if possible to keep these figures active.
5. Not very happy with a new file name.... however, I will survive. Technically, please avoid doing this frequently.

OriginPro enables powerful, precise data analysis and presentation

Bewertet am 2.7.2019
Matthew gormley G.
Research Associate V
Forschung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: As an academic facility producing protein mass spectroscopy data, our community relies on us to not only acquire precise data, but to further analyze and present it in a means that is coherent and easily understood. OriginPro enables visual dissemination of newly acquired knowledge in a way that is mentally palatable to both novices and experts alike in the field and beyond.

Vorteile: OriginPro is a massively capable data analysis and plotting package. I have been using it for years and still feel as though I have just scratched the surface. From genome-wide association studies using Manhattan plots, to comparative pathway analysis using trellis plots, along with the ability to combine analysis from different projects with ease, producing publication quality figures has become near routine.

Nachteile: OriginPro can be intimidating at first blush. It is so capable, and the plots it produces so customizable, that it is almost too much. However, with patience and practice, along with a plethora of online assistance, beginners can surf the learning curve and produce plots with such clarity that it makes Excel output appear clunky in comparison.

Working on Origin2019b

Bewertet am 5.6.2019
Dariusz N.
Research Scientist
Forschung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I have been been working on Origin for more than a decade, starting back with version 6.0. For comparison I also tried other comparable software like MS Excel, Grapher or SigmaPlot and in my opinion nothing really beats Origin. The software seems very complicated for beginners and definitely is designed for a serious statistical, etc. work but few hours spent deciphering features pays back multiple times. It's all about data, data, data...Variability of predefined templates for various types of graphs is large. In addition convenience and freedom in manipulating them to your own needs/way is just fantastic and simple. I very often fit data and have to apply my own customized functions that can be easily build in the Origin code and stored as a function file and used when needed. This is very convenient.

Nachteile: - Frequent upgrades to a new versions that do not add much changes to a core features.
- complicated manipulation of appearance of heat maps. I have troubles with getting smooth graphs from noisy data as I cannot find option to artificially smooth maps without modifying underlying data except changing graph "speed mode" (and that is not strictly map smoothing).
-More specific: restructured menu in version 2019b. It looks like many functions I could open with click of right mouse button just on the graph are gone (e.g. layer contents, etc.). All takes more time now as I have to find them in the upper menu. Could you bring them back?

von OriginLab an 6.6.2019

Hello Dariusz,

Thank you very much for the review!

Regarding your specific comments:

Heatmap: Can you please send a project to us so we can see the issue and try help you?
Smoothing of noisy data: Again, please send us a project.
Right-click context menu: Yes, we did rearrange because some menus were too long and users with smaller laptop screens were running into issues. Specifically for Layer Contents, you can press the F12 shortcut key on a graph to bring it up.

Also, in versions 2019 and higher, we have a Start button on the bottom left where you can type
m
to see all the menu options related to your search phrase.

OriginLab

Excellent graphing and analysis program

Jay H.
Senior Research Scientist, Faculty
Forschung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Origin has saved me a lot of time and has the ability to produce a large number of very high quality graphs. It is extremely useful for prototyping analysis before committing a large amount of time to programming.

Vorteile: Aside from the very high quality graphs, there is sufficient analysis capability to solve many problems without further programming. I programming is required, there is an internal version of Python that is sufficiently capable plus a scripting language for problems that are done many times. There are some flaws that are described below. If my experience is as before, Originlab will fix the problems.

Nachteile: A common operation is to mark a subset of a column for analysis with the mouse or by <shift><Page Down>. When the data sets are large, this frequently does not work. the marking either freezes with the mouse or drops the marking with <shift><Page Down>. There is an alternate method using <ctrl><G>, but this can be awkward and can only mark one column. After using Merge Graphs, there are two operations that are frequent.
1) Rearranging graphs. This used to be easy. Now Origin has "improved" the system to a clumsy method
2) After merging, one might want to use Layer Management. This frequently fails requiring hand manipulation of the multiple graphs on a page.
There is a link to MATLAB, but not everyone has MATLAB (expensive). There needs to be a link to one of the free MATLAB clones, say SCILAB. I would like to see
1) a user defined floating menu for the most frequently used items. Perhaps <ctrl><Q>
2) a key shortcut for inserting text. Perhaps <ctrl><D>

von OriginLab an 26.4.2019

Dear Jay,

Thank you for the review, and for your feature suggestions. We will definitely consider them.

Regarding issues with merging and rearranging graphs, can you please send us a sample project so we can look into improving this area?

A personnal take on OriginPro

Graduate Student
Hochschulbildung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: From my experience with the use of OrogonPro, OriginPro has the robustness and finesse that most - and infact, a great number of scientists and engineers, envision as "friendly" in terms of accomplishing tasks. Again, the picture quality generated from OriginPro 2018b is just awesome.

Vorteile: The ease of plotting graphs - highlight and drop into an already open chart and it is done. In a recent publication, it was beautiful for the Figure 6 to super-impose two different bar charts into one; using light and dark shades and height differences to distinguish two different features of the same material. I remember someone asking me with awe what software I used to plot Figure 6. Even before I could answer, another from within the audience answered "... I guess Origin.."

Nachteile: First: OriginPro 2019 crashed and shut down my applications on several occasions. I was so frustrated, I carefully avoided using it for anything even though I didn't uninstall it. I reverted to Origin 2018b, which has worked very well.
Second: OriginPro doesn't have the flexibility to deconvolute XPS data - not if one doesn't know the number of peaks. Even with the number of peaks, OriginPro doesn't work that awesome compared to say XPS Peak4.1, which is what I eventually used for my XPS deconvolution.
Third: It would be much better if tutorial videos or materials are someone user interfaced. In fact, let the user choose "NEVER show again" as an option if the user is very comfortable with that feature. However, a novice will find it very useful right off the bath.
Fourth: From just opening OriginPro 2019, it doesn't seem to have that crisp clear image quality that Origin2018b has. Just my take as I saw it.

von OriginLab an 25.4.2019

Hello,

Thank you very much for your comments on OriginPro!

Regarding issues with version 2019 crashing, PLEASE contact us so we can work with you to resolve the issue. We have not seen any general issue with 2019 with our user base, so we would very much appreciate information from you and try help resolve this issue for you.

Easwar Iyer
OriginLab

Origin Pro is a great tool for biomechanic analysis

Bewertet am 16.7.2019
Gabriel D.
Tennis biomechanic PhD
Sport, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: As I say before It allow me to apply complex algorithms in other way I couldn´t apply. I want to learn LabTalk programming to have more options, but this will be in the future. In general terms I am very happy with Origin. I use it almost every day to analyze graphs, apply filters.
I thinks it is a powerful tool for biomechanichs analysis (I am also very happy with the apps specifics for this aim, such as C3D importer, EMG analysis tool, etc.).
Also the developer of the apps help you a lot. I talk with two of them and they give me a lot of ideas and solutions to my problems.

Vorteile: I worked for a biomechanic lab. Before using OriginLab I try to use to use other softwares such as GNU Octave, R, Python to do signal analysis (finding peaks, apply filters such as Butterworth Filter, Savitzky-Golay, etc.) but I am not very good in programming and I have a lot of troubles. OriginLab has made my life easier as apply this filter is really easy. I also use statistic capabilities of this softwares and create beautiful graphs for presentations or manuscripts.

Nachteile: I use it in an old computer and I have some troubles with some functions. For example I couldn´t open a project directly and I should open a new project and drag and drop the project into it… In my new computer I do not have this problem. Other trouble I had was that sometimes Ctrl + Z didn´t run well when creating graph. I save the graph in every new step to not loss information. And I also have little problems with the copy and paste arrays of number from and to excel (sometimes I have to do twice). But this problems where minor problems compared with all the things I have do with Origin. It is helping me a lot in my PhD.

Origin 212019b

Bewertet am 16.5.2019
Michael B.
Professor
Forschung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Quantitative analyses of light/confocal/whole slide scan data, and graphical presentation of results. We are very interested in high-dimensional single cell-level analyses of tissue and tumor heterogeneity. Very large data sets are generated. Between Fiji/ImageJ and Origin we can accomplish a lot. We get the feeling that there is useful information within Origin that we cannot get to but which could be useful. On the other hand, speed is an issue, and if Origin was faster it would really help.

Vorteile: The most outstanding aspects of Origin are:
1. The depth of its analysis and visualization capabilities.
2. Its ability to handle large (> 3 million data points), and the associated Speed Mode. Apparently the limit is 90 million elements.
3. The outstanding customer support, which is knowledgeable and responsive. They are constantly doing their best to help us solve analysis and visualization issues arising with quantitative treatment of image data.

Nachteile: Origin is great software. What can be frustrating is:
1. Figuring out what Origin can do. There are all kinds of capabilities that are not always immediately evident.
2. Graphing speed. As one approaches a million points, Origin can get very slow even on a reasonably powerful workstation. It is not clear why this is the case, but memory and graphics card resources are not used at anything approaching their potential.
3. The worksheets. They are very powerful, but also very column oriented. There are times when it is more efficient to go into Excel and then bring the data back into Origin. There is no reason to re-create Excel, but a more spreadsheet-like cell-oriented mode would be really helpful.

Origin Pro 2019

Bewertet am 11.6.2019
Gaurab D.
Postdoc
Forschung, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I am solving critical analysis and statistcal interpretation and analysis of my data geneated by experiements. It gave me a wide range of options about looking and analyzing the data. Also, change my perspectives to seee and analyze the data and about interpretations. I highly recommend beginners in material science or interdiscilinary researchers to use this software to not only able to produce high quality gaphs but also enrich their percpectve about analyzation and statistical interpretation.

Vorteile: It produces high-quality analysis and graphs. A wide range of analysis can be performed.

Nachteile: It can improve the database of fitting curves and simulations encompassing more from material science characterization. I would also like it to include more analysis like FTIR, XRD and Raman database. Along with transfer and analysis of embedded high-quality fluroscence images. Such inclusions would have more demand of origin in among the material science research.

von OriginLab an 12.6.2019

HI Gaurab,

Thank you very much for the review!

Regarding your comment:
"...database of fitting curves and simulations encompassing more from material science characterization."
Could you please let us know what fitting functions need to be added? If you can provide a reference or a named list, that would be very helpful. We have an App that can fetch new fitting functions from our website:
It would be easy for us to add more functions if we know what to add.

Regarding your comment:
"...transfer and analysis of embedded high-quality fluroscence images"
can you also please provide some details?

OriginLab

Function fitting tools provided with origipro

Bewertet am 7.5.2019
Achala D.
Graduate student
Chemikalien, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: While I was setting my fitting functions as well as doing data analysis, the staff you I contacted through chat were really helpful .I was able to solve many confusions by just chatting with them.This may be not directly related to this review but I really appreciate originlab staff for their kind support.

Vorteile: I used originlab 8.5 for months and recently started originpro. It's very easy to use as it comes with a wide range of fitting functions.The reason I am really impressed is the way it helps to build the user defined functions.I was fed up of trying many software and programming tools, as I haven't a strong knowledge on programming.Then I got to know about originpro. But I couldn't find an inbuilt function which fits my purpose there.Then I followed the online instructions in originlab site and wrote simple code myself within a short period of time and unbelievably it worked.

Nachteile: As per my experience so far I used Originpro for integration,differentiation,non-linear function fitting,smoothing raw data and model fitting etc.The thing I least like is the "initial guess estimation step" in function fitting.I noticed that the final result is significantly depends on the values we feed as initial guesses.Sometimes it's hard to guess all the variables.I believe parameter initialization codes can be set to solve this issue.But the explanation in the originlab site is not quite helpful for me.

von OriginLab an 9.5.2019

Hi Achala,

Regarding your comment:
"The thing I least like is the "initial guess estimation step" in function fitting.I noticed that the final result is significantly depends on the values we feed as initial guesses"
This typically happens if the fitting function is over parameterized, Would you please send us a dataset and function where you see tise issue, so we can look at the details and help you further?

OriginLab Tech Support

Replace Excel and Google Sheets

Bewertet am 17.5.2019
James V.
Sr. Product Controls Engineer
Maschinenbau oder Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: In my work I must capture hours of data for static electricity on equipment. This data is sampled at a rate of 100ms. The amount of data can be 100k to 300k records (rows). I attempted to use Sheets to break up the data and organize it in the fashion I required. It became difficult to work with when adding new data. I then tried to use Excel to perform the same action and create graphs. Excel could handle the data calculations, however, it required formulas in the cells and back end macros. This was time consuming. Additionally Excel was not consistent with graphs. OriginPro solved all of my issues. Importing a data sample of 200k records would take me 15-20minutes to complete the import and processing in Excel. The same process can be completed in under 5 minutes with OriginPro. I am new to OriginPro and have yet to take full advantage of all the features offered.

Vorteile: What I like most is the ability to provide one formula and/or script for an entire column. This is a great time saver. In Excel or Google Sheets I would have to either put a formula in every row for a specific column or write macros to perform calculations if a cell contained data. With OriginPro I can enter a single formula at the top of the column to handle all rows in that column. Best part of this is I do not need to make adjustments when adding more rows.

Nachteile: When zooming in on a graph, it does not center on the window and there is no way to center or pan. I have to zoom back out then zoom in on the area I want to see. It would be nice to have an easy method to return to 100%.

von OriginLab an 3.6.2019

Hi James,

Thank you for the review!

Regarding your comment about zooming, you are referring to page level zoom which can be controlled by the drop-down for zoom percentage in the Standard toolbar, but also can be done more easily by just holding the A key and using the mouse scroll wheel. To revert back to 100%, you can use the shortcut key CTRL+W.

Note that you can also zoom and pan inside the layer to change axes range easily as well. All such shortcuts are documented here:

OriginLab

A very power software for scientific plot

Bewertet am 28.9.2019
Wei C.
PhD Researcher
Chemikalien, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: The overall experience with OriginPro is pretty good for me. The software can help me generate professional plots and I do believe most of the plots in the scientific papers are produced by OriginPro. I did and will highly recommend this software to my labmates, my classmates, and my colleagues who also in the scientific field. I do believe they also love this powerful tool!

Vorteile: I have used this software for scientific plots for more than 10 years. I can definitely say this software really help me a lot, not only for my undergraduate studies, term papers, scientific report, but also for my master thesis, and even PhD dissertation. Most of the scientific plots in my dissertation are generated from OriginPro. I can easily plot a beautiful figure in 5 min. Many of the embedded plotting tools are really good and they even make my plots more beautiful. I pretty much love this software!

Nachteile: The software can only be used in Windows system but not in Mac system. So when I need to use OriginPro to plot my data, I have to switch the system from Mac to Windows. After I finished the plotting and I still need to go back to Mac system, which is annoying and to be honest, is a waste of time. This is what I like least about this software.

Origin is a definate personal advantage in my toolkit

Bewertet am 11.6.2019
John D.
Executive VP Engineering
Öl & Energie, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I am able to present data in ways that aren't available in other software packages. The best advantage is being able to present two data streams that have different time scales. This is not easily done with the present business standard software packages. The array of plot types is amazing.

Nachteile: Origin is constantly updating and adding features so sometimes the help files lag the development in the product.

Origin for Chemistry Research

Bewertet am 13.5.2019
Rylee M.
Graduate Student
Forschung, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I had difficulties with some of the things I was doing and the customer service is great. Very responsive (my problem was solved within a day) and lots of recommendations on the solution to my issue.

Vorteile: The ease with which I can import my data. All instruments save and export in different file formats and Origin allows you to import all sorts of file types so you don't have to worry about having a particular format or converting it before using.

Nachteile: Sometimes adding data from different worksheets to the same graph or plot is difficult and I think this is something that should be improved.

von OriginLab an 15.5.2019

Hi Rylee,

Regarding your comment:
"Sometimes adding data from different worksheets to the same graph or plot is difficult and I think this is something that should be improved."
You can add data to a graph by simply selecting columns from same sheet or other sheets, and drag and drop into the graph layer. This videos shows how:

If this does not work well for you, can you send one of your Origin projects and explain further what you are looking for?