I can not say enough about the Universal Type Server and Client software.

Bewertet am 22.12.2017
Vology-TPC-Technician Level II
201-500 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Before the publishing company I work for switched from ATM (Adobe Type Manager) to UTC we would have our IT technicians going through 200 plus Mac desktops throughout the company verifying that everyone had the same fonts in the same location on their local machines, this was a logistics nightmare. Anytime an account would hand us a new font they wanted to run in their ad we would have to deploy a team to go through all the desktops once again so that our staff had the same font in the off chance that they got the ad in question and needed to make a change. We looked at several different Font management softwares but none could do what Extensis was offering. We looked at 3 different factors, ease of use for our staff, manageability for our Techs and of course cost. Extensis showed us Font Reserve, at the time its stand-alone and client-server software that had been newly acquired and it promised to do everything that we were looking for. We were happy with Font Reserve, we finally were able to manage our fonts remotely and the user interface was nice for our staff, it was a game changer for us. Extensis being the company that it is though did not rest on it's laurels, it ante'd up with Universal Type Server. Wow, wow, wow image being able to create workgroups of different fonts on the fly for your staff, imagine that staffer being able to see what the header or subtext looks like with any font they choose immediately. We have several different departments which require differ

Managing Fonts and Allowing users to get work done at a great overall value.

Desktop Application and IT Support Manager

Kommentare: The biggest benefit is company wide management of our fonts to make sure that we have the correct licensing levels. Additionally we have one central repository for our fonts that our creative users can pull from. From the IT side of things this makes managing our fonts much easier and much more streamlined while reducing font corruption to a zero. For our users they have an easy to access and use font library that is catered to the needs of their specific department or group. When using the fonts on the user side their fonts turn on and off automatically so you are not having too many activate fonts at a time. This has been a great benefit to our business.

Vorteile: Makes managing fonts is rather easy. From the user side they really don't have to do much in order for the software to work. From the IT side server setup is a breeze and rather lightweight.

Nachteile: The only con I can see comes from having to make sure that your version of Universal Type is up to speed with the version of the applications, Adobe CC, that you use.

Makes my job easier. Been using it for years.

Bewertet am 13.12.2017
Jeff K.
Director, Publishing Services - IT
Verlagswesen, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: As the administrator, it makes my job much easier. I can distribute new fonts to the users that need it from my workstation. I can add or remove fonts, or add or remove rights to use a font by a user easily as well.

Vorteile: The software allows me to restrict our users from installing unlicensed fonts. It also allows me to easily distribute fonts to a specific user, groups or everyone. And it helps make sure each user is using the same version of a font.

I like Universal Type Server as it allows me to administer fonts across our organization easily

Kimber J.
Prepress Systems and Font Manager
Druck, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Easy font management across many locations

Vorteile: How easy it is to get fonts to everyone. Add a font sync and it is there for everyone to use.
We use at many locations and it is painless to get fonts out,

Nachteile: The sync time on the fist sync. We use thousands of fonts so it take awhile. The required length of this comment is to long. Why have us babble on if we can say it quickly

This is a great addition to our environment. it allows us to control bad font that users download.

Amos R.
Sr Technical Specialist

Vorteile: The ease of use when adding to the library and the ability to share with our other departments. The administration console is simple to use.

Nachteile: The limit in the fonts that can be used when purchased from an online source. usually the user purchase 5 and for it to work, I need to upload it on to the server

Great way to keep fonts in sync in the office

Bewertet am 24.12.2018
Katelyn E.
Traffic Manager

Vorteile: Sharable across multiple machines so everyone in the office can have the same fonts on all software platforms. Really easy to sync with Adobe software.

Nachteile: Sometimes there are glitches when OS software updates happen. Takes a little time to make sure there are no issues before upgrading.

Extensis products just work!

Bewertet am 14.12.2017
IT Manager: Global Creative Services
Konsumgüter, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: AD integration for user management. The ease with which you can organize your font collections. There support is amazing!

Nachteile: From time to time we have to rebuild the local font cache... Its not a huge problem. Luckily when it does exhibit itself its a predictable fix.

The Extensis team was helpful during setup and any issues we've encountered over the years.

Bewertet am 13.12.2017
Mark W.
Systems Administrator
Einzelhandel, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Makes it easy for me to organize and distribute fonts as well as keep track of ownership for multiple teams. Extremely helpful considering the thousands of fonts we own.

I thought font software was supposed to be helpful...

Bewertet am 11.4.2019
Doug L.
Production Artist

Kommentare: We use UTS in a production environment, where the same file might be opened by different users on different machines. I might work on a file and save it. A different production artist may then open it the next day to make additional changes. UTS has a feature where it will auto-activate the fonts used in the document, as long as those fonts are available on the Type Server for the user to access. In theory, this is a great feature. In reality, I find myself having to activate fonts myself a good portion of the time. It seems to choose when it wants to work or not. This is frustrating and time-consuming and I am constantly asking my superiors why we have this software that seems to not do the only thing it was made to do.

Vorteile: When it works, the auto-activation feature is great. The ability to search is nice as well.

Nachteile: Auto-activation is frustratingly inconsistent. Font sync between computers can also be tricky.

Simple, no-hassle, server-based font management.

Matthew B.
Systems Administrator/Analyst
Verlagswesen, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Universal Type is a huge help for managing fonts for multiple workstations and multiple workgroups, both Mac and PC. I don't have to visit everyone's computer just to add or remove fonts, I can do this easily from my copy of the Universal Type Client.

Vorteile: I manage a variety of server-based systems, and this is one that I rarely have to do anything with to keep it working. Also, software upgrades/updates are extremely easy, just run the installer and after a minute or so you have a newer version installed and running. I don't think I've ever had to reboot for an update/upgrade and there has been very little downtime overall for this software.

Nachteile: I suppose it would be that it has the occasional bug requiring a workaround or an update to fix, but their support team always does a good job helping out with that.

This product works well

Bewertet am 18.12.2017
Mark C.
Office Serivces Manager
Unterhaltung, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I personally like the security of this product where employees cannot download or add fonts, this allows us to be in compliance.

Nachteile: It seems to crash sometimes on PC's, it works very well on all our MAC's but we seem to have issues on the few PC's we have it installed on/