Über Scrivener

Korrekturlösung, mit der Autor*innen Manuskripte durch Beschriften, Gliederung, Formatierung, Textbearbeitung und mehr organisieren können.

Erfahre mehr über Scrivener

It is difficult to move from feature to feature.

Bewertungen zu Scrivener

3,9

Scrivener hat eine Gesamtbewertung von 4,7 von 5 Sternen basierend auf 199 Nutzerbewertungen auf Capterra.

Hast du Scrivener bereits verwendet?

Alison
Alison
Proprietor in Kanada
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

Nothing Beats Scrivener for Writers

Scrivener is endlessly flexible, fitting any way you can think of to help you write the best prose you possibly can and print it in just about any way you may need, including producing files suitable for publication in online bookstores such as Amazon. The complexity does, however, make the program intimidating to beginning users. It helps if a user makes a conscious decision to learn and use only the bare bones at first, but it can be difficult to figure out what bare bones to use and where they are. It helps a lot, though, that Googling Scrivener along with a function of the program will produce dozens of how-to articles. After all, Scrivener is designed for writers, and a good number of them write about Scrivener!

I reluctantly admit that I haven't yet talked myself into tackling the learning curve on printing out anything but the simplest of documents from Scrivener. I'm sure it was worth it to many writers in the past who needed to produce publication-ready manuscripts, but these days Vellum is available for the Mac and Atticus can be bought for either Apple or Windows computers. Both are much easier to use.

Stuart
Stuart
Book Coach in UK

I'm beyond impressed!

Kommentare: Scrivener is my go-to app for writing my novels and screenplays. It allows me to organize all of my work in one place, and with the ability to save different drafts, I never have to worry about losing anything. With Scrivener, I can easily find the information I need. The interface is intuitive and easy to understand, and it is always available on all of my devices.

The organisational capabilities of both writing and research are invaluable. And the compile feature, once you get it set up, is astonishingly powerful and, with a bit of work, as good as Vellum.

It can take a while to learn Scrivener's unique features, but if you take the time, you'll find there's a lot more going on than you see at first. If there's one thing that bugs me is that the compile functions in Scrivener 3 are difficult compared to version 2.

Nicole
Editor in Kanada

Best novel-writing software

5,0 letzten Monat Neu

I've been using Scrivener for over five years as a fiction writer, and I love having all my materials in one place--outline, character profiles, location info, research and more. And the word processing feature is robust and makes it easy to break my writing up into chapters or scenes. I use it for all my first drafts.

There's definitely a learning curve if you want to get the most out of its features, but they've gotten better with tutorials and walk-throughs than it was when I first started using it. Other than that, I think it's a fantastic tool for authors.

Andrew
Director in UK
Verlagswesen, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Don't Believe the Hype: Scrivener is Awful and You Will Hate it - Avoid It and You Will Thank Me!

Kommentare: There are no functions for increasing or decreasing indent unless you want to go back to using the tab key constantly and if you do this in a list? Fugitaboutit. Scrivener 3 will remove the line from your list altogether as it assumes you didn't there anyway. It is awful software. Try to set the margins on Scrivener like you would on ANY free or paid word processing software. Go ahead, I'll wait...can't figure it out? That's because you can't do it. Scrivener 3 will set your margins as it sees fit and you will like it. Yes, the YouTube ladies will tell you that you can but good luck getting Scrivener to consistently set them and leave them. You'll be fighting page setup constantly with this software. How about leading on the text or "line spacing" as many word processors call it? Can't do that either. The whole document defaults to this weird 1.5 line spacing which is nearly impossible to change and keep changed. You'll be fighting line spacing for your entire document. This is an absolute travesty of an experience, Scrivener is trying to be smart about all the ridiculous carnival features it thinks you would actually use and in reality, none of its developers have ever tried to write a long form project using their own software...that is obvious. I could go on and on about the failure to process inserts like tables and pics and how these are a nightmare to format in your work or how you can't just add page breaks in a given paperback format or how you have to "complie"

Project management allows you to break down the document into various sections which act as separate files. This is great for project management or storyboarding but an absolute nightmare for writing a long form document like a book or thesis paper.

I have used this software for a couple months now and I absolutely hate it and for good reason. You cannot format text like you can in a free word processor like Open Office or in paid software like Word. They like to say you can but I'm here to tell you that you can't. Forget formatting lists in this garbageware. Scrivener 3 will format it as it sees fit and you will like it and just for fun, Scrivener will format it completely different under the exact same settings the next time you want a list. The format font is courier or Times and good luck trying to change that. Oh, you can change it alright, but it won't matter as every new line you type will be in the Scriver 3 font - not the one that that rest of the document OR in the defaults settings which you changed originally. No, Scrivener 3 will type in the font it chooses - either Courier or Times and you will like it. Fake reviews and YouTube videos tell you to set up your styles in the "styles" pallet but good luck getting Scrivener to actually set the style consistently in the style you saved in the palette. Ultimately, you will be fighting formatting constantly.

Richard
CEO in UK
Personalwesen, Selbstständig

Writing's on the Wall

Kommentare: I generally love it. It's my go to software for writing and compiling documents for books, presentations, trainings, business plans, and SOR, and much more I'm probably forgetting. Overall very positive. And if I recall when I had interactions with support they were responsive and extremely helpfully. I think it was related to installing on a second computer.

I like that I can map out, plan, write, rearrange, reorder, and edit, documents easily. In my case this is presentation scripts, books, and also business plans, and SORs. It's so nice to just be able to move sections of writing around easily. Which leaves time for just writing without worrying about the order.

There's little I didn't like about it. I know I'm only scratching the surface with what I use it for, even as a writer, marketer, and author. So nothing stands out as an 'I don't like' for me.

Przemek
Przemek
Translator in Polen
Übersetzung und Lokalisierung, Selbstständig

Productivity and focus booster

Scrivener is without a doubt one of the richest app function-wise on the. market. It is actually so powerful and rich that most of its functions require extensive research. It is so powerful that if you are thinking of a function you need, Scrivener will most probably have it – you just need to look for it.

What I don't like about it is mostly related to the abundance and wealth of options it offers. The learning curve is really a long one and it requires research and finding out in order to really discover every single option there is.

Bakari
Bakari
Web Designer and Content Producer in USA
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

Great for managing writing and research projects

Kommentare: My overall experience with Scrivener is positive. I like that it's not a subscriber-based application, and I can access it on both my desktop and iOS devices.

I've used Scrivener for several years for my long-form writing projects. What I like about it most is that it enables me to manage my writing, research, and ideas all in one place. I can organize my research and track notes, store my drafts and ideas, and save them all in one place. When the developers created an iOS version of Scrivener, it enabled me to read my writing on my iPad as if I were reading on printed paper. Scrivener has tons of features, but I particularly like the Typewriter Mode feature that keeps the line of text in a fixed position on my screen so I don't have to keep scrolling up as I type. The ability to filter sections and drafts of writing is also helpful. I can label sections of writing any way I want. And finally, Scrivener also allows for exporting documents to various formats, including ePub. Scrivener takes a while to learn, but it's highly useful for serious writers.

The export features are complicated, but there's plenty of documentation to show to use it.

Julie
owner in USA
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

Scrivener is the gold standard of writing software

Kommentare: I've been using Scrivener for years. I like that it's flexible in that I can use the features that I find helpful and not worry about ones I don't need.

Scrivener is as easy or complicated to use as you want it to be. You can get started quickly, then learn more about it's more advanced features as you need them.

About the only thing I don't like about it is that it's rather dull visually. For some people, however, this might be a plus, as it isn't distracting when you're writing.

Unterhaltung, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

If you need to really organize writing projects and not just write them

Kommentare: Scrivener makes light work of complicated documents and writing projects.

We use scrivener when we have a writing project with lots of working parts, not just text but other pieces as well that we need to organize. The corkboard feature is the number selling point for us.

Sometimes it can be a little clunky/slow.

Nathan
Nathan
Freelancer in USA

Complex but powerful product

Kommentare: It's a complex bit of software. It's more oriented toward one purpose, that being preparing a book for publication. I tried using it as a notebook. Kinda maybe could work, but something online like Notion might be better.

This product will help you lay out something for publication. Keep all your research straight in the same application.

For some reason, it keeps requiring me to re-enter my activation code. It's like, guys, I bought this. It's mine. Stop this nonsense.

Virginia
Freelance Writer in USA

Scrivener, My Unpaid, but Super-powered Writer's Assistant

Kommentare: So many features that save time. I can access character and location profiles instantly. This is very important to me. I can import files from MS Word so that i can work further on them. I can format my manuscripts.

As a writer of fiction I have used MS Word for all of this century so far, until I came across Scrivener. After using Word for so many years it was a bit of a challenge to change to a new writing program. My writing habits were fully formed in Word, but there were features lacking in Word that I would have hoped would be there. For example instead of using the tried and true method of using index cards to set up scenes, Scrivener has a storyboard feature permitting a writer to examine and compare individual files on its ‘corkboard’. A far superior method than laying printed sheets on the table or floor to move them around and change the sequence of events, This works well for me because I can stop and write a scene that may come to mind is out of the story sequence without losing it forever. And, most importantly for me personally, I can save my knees from crawling around on the floor moving those awful index cards. I love the ability to write character profiles and back story, save them and access them whenever I need to enter info about their personality, wardrobe and other details. There is also the ability to keep scene/location profiles to access as needed. This keeps my story consistent in the fine points that the reader will remember and I might forget while writing. These features insure my credibility as a writer, and I like that. Scrivener is so much more than a word processor; it is my digital assistant who does not require a salary or benefits.

There is quite a learning curve. Patience is the virtue needed here. But it is well worth the effort.

Jeremy
Writer in USA
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

If You're a Writer and You Don't Have Scrivener, Why?

Kommentare: Scrivener is one of those unicorn programs that's too hard to learn, even harder to master, and somehow still manages to be impossible to live without, even when programs with more specialized abilities come along and TRY to oust it. It's the kind of program that reminds you why you wish you'd become a dentist instead of a writer. Incredibly useful and occasionally frustrating and the one program no writer should be without (especially if they love a challenge).

Scrivener has many jobs, but it also has one job: Give the writer a central place for all of his project's components. Need a place to outline? Organize ideas? Store research? Write the draft? Label your nutty ideas? Comment on your nutty ideas? Export everything into a manuscript without corrupting it with nutty ideas? Track your word count? Customize your needs? Scrivener does it all. And it does for one low price. It also integrates well with the writing workflow, regardless of whether the writer uses Scrivener for everything or just some things. I personally find it useful for organizing the scenes I've already written, just in case it turns out I've forgotten something important along the way. Scrivener makes documenting the success and failure of a scene easy.

My complaint is probably the same as any one else's complaint: It has more features than I know what to do with. The cost of the courses designed to teach users how to use the software are often FAR more expensive than the software itself, and without those courses, it's hard to figure out how to use it effectively. Exporting to manuscript is not at all intuitive, even when you know what you're doing. It's probably more effective to write and plan within Scrivener, then copy/paste to another program for exporting. It doesn't have any visualization features. Sometimes graphs speak louder than synopses.

Writer in USA

Easy-to-use book maker

Kommentare: Scrivener is a great tool for writers who want to output novels, short stories, screenplays, or a number of other various forms without having to do all the legwork from scratch inside Microsoft Word, Pages, Notepad, or Unix (okay, it's highly unlikely that any non-masochistic writer would use those last two to write -- but hey, you never know). Simple right clicks add folders (which become chapters when you compile) or texts inside those folders. Then you click on your text item, change your text style if you don't want the default, and start pounding those keys. Don't bother numbering the chapters -- you may want to rearrange them, and doing so involves simply dragging them around the hierarchy. Each text item you create comes with a synopsis section and a notes section, both of which are completely optional. If you don't fill out the synopsis, the first sentence of the passage shows up in the corkboard view. There's also a research folder where you can keep even more notes, which don't get counted towards your total word count. Spell checking is easy, exporting segments to various popular formats is easy, and compiling the whole project is easy...once you figure out how to select the whole project by clicking on the root folder. Unfortunately, my version has a quirk where any new text item forces everything I type onto one line until I close and reopen my entire project -- after which all my carriage returns show up and everything looks great. Scrivener streamlines the writing process a great deal, and is a must-have for any budding novelist. Don't leave home without it (if you're going to the coffee shop to write).

-Very easy to create chapters and reorder them -Very easy to see summaries and notes from the corkboard -Can apply custom templates (for example, Game Design Document templates) -Simple, if slightly confusing, to compile into an orderly Microsoft Word manuscript

-Slightly buggy -Chapter styles don't stick as easily as I'd like -Compiling process isn't entirely intuitive

Per
Professor in Schweden
Forschung, 5.001–10.000 Mitarbeiter

Scrivener, best for writing longer documents

Kommentare: Scrivener is an excellent tool for writing longer publications, but I wish it will provide a better integration with more reference managers in the future. Give it a go and see how it can revolutionise your writing experience.

Scrivener is a fantastic tool for anyone who needs to write longer publications. Whether you're working on a book or a thesis, Scrivener offers a range of features that can greatly enhance your writing process. The most notable feature of Scrivener is its outline system. Instead of working with a single, linear document, Scrivener allows you to break your writing into smaller, manageable chunks. These chunks, known as "scrivenings," can be easily rearranged, edited, and viewed in a way that suits your needs. This makes it incredibly easy to maintain an overview of the document even when it is becoming substantial.

The integration between Scrivener and the reference manager I use (Bookends) is not so well developed yet, forcing me to export to MS Word to run Bookends to generate the reference list when the document is done. It works, but is a hassle when wanting to change anything in the document and having to redo the entire process.

Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 1.001–5.000 Mitarbeiter

Focus on the end result

Kommentare: My experience with Scrivener is great. Although it is difficult to set up the compilation to provide the document desired formatting, once it is done it can be reused time and again without worrying. The end result is guaranteed to fit the configuration. Great if you are copywriting to the same sources. All you need to focus is on the writing and then just hit the compile button to have a ready paper to send to the editors.

Scrivener allows the writers (technical writers, academic writers or novelists) to focus on the activity itself with or without previous planning and worry about the publishing result later. This greatly improves the writing process.

Configuring the document compilation to provide the desired end result is somewhat difficult and obscure, sometimes demanding a set of trials and errors to get that detail right.

Trudi
Writer in Neuseeland
Schreiben & Editieren, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Makes writing a novel so much easier

Kommentare: It's easy to use, fairly intuitive, and it helps to break down a novel into manageable chunks. It makes the process flow more easily, and it can be used for plotting as well as writing the actual book. It takes away some of the overwhelm that you can feel when writing.

The best thing about scrivener is the way that you can visually organise the sections or chapters of your novel, so that you can easily skip between them. It breaks it down into manageable chunks and stops it from being so overwhelming. You can label different sections, you can write notes next to the chapters, so you can see what you were planning to write, or what you want to achieve each scene, plus you can put in photos to help you remember what characters or settings looked like. It allows you to have the entire plotting/planning/organisation you need for a novel in one place.

It doesn't work as well in a PC environment. I love it on my MAC, and I tried to help a friend with a PC use it, and I couldn't figure it out.

Verlagswesen, 11–50 Mitarbeiter

Scrivener: For the Pros

Kommentare: Scrivener is one of the few pieces of software that I can give a perfect score. 10/10.

Scrivener is a word processor that provides templates for different mediums, including fiction, nonfiction, screenplays, and more. It can be used to write novels (which is my primary interest), essays, letters, HTML—essentially anything that requires words on the page, all without the actual page. What makes it distinct from other word processors is the ability to write pieces in any order and move them around with ease. You can also incorporate research from another site or source, and keep it available in the background until you need it. There's a project-management aspect of Scrivener that I haven't used much, but it's nice to have the option available. Overall, it's an excellent piece of software that I use often.

It's a very minor complaint, but I would love to have a build for Linux, so I can write on my practice computer. There was one a while back, but it is no longer available.

Mike
Chief Creative Officer in USA
Medienproduktion, Selbstständig

Scrivener - Excellent for Writers

Kommentare: It truly is built for writers. I use it every time I write.

Scrivener is an inexpensive, feature-rich application for authors. The search function, the ability to list word frequency, the seamless integration of notes, web pages, and other supporting and reference documents into the same file, make Scrivener a must-have for writers. Competitors, like Atticus, are good, but Scrivener is still the best.

The hardest function to use is the compile function, which is needed to transcode the file to something else, like Word. It's very powerful, but in its power lies a complexity that makes it a bit difficult to use. Further, the conversion is not perfect, so I typically need to go into Word and correct various items.

Dayne
Dayne

Scrivener streamlines writing books

Kommentare: With Scrivener I am able to have one scrivener file per book and/or series and keep documents with notes and then make each chapter a text file. That way, if I need to locate a specific scene I don't have to mess with scrolling through a Word document to find what I'm looking for (or use the clunky Find feature).

What I like most about Scrivener is how simple it is to organize my book by chapters or scenes. It helps me outline my book from the start, which in turn makes writing it faster. I also love using the split-screen function to allow me to have the notes on one side of my screen and the actual writing on the other.

There is a learning curve with Scrivener in order to unlock its full potential. I don't generally dig into the Compile functions (to generate a print-ready manuscript, etc.) and instead just compile to a basic Word file and format the book myself using the vendor's style guide.

Great writer's tool

Kommentare: While there is a huge learning curve with this software, I love that it keeps everything I need in one document for my novels. Gone are the days of multiple documents and worrying about keeping things organized. This software keeps everything in one document which is amazing. Once I have more time to actually sit down and watch the various tutorials, I hope to be able to utilize even more of the software's features. I think if there were better tutorials to help people get started, it would help a lot. I originally used the tutorial and almost gave up on the software until I found some better tutorials online and through Youtube.

I love that it allows me to not only section out chapters, but also scenes within the chapter. It also gives me the option to keep characters, locations, and all sorts of notes in one document.

Compiling correctly can be a giant pain. It took a lot of time to get the basics down. I have yet to master all the options that the software offers because of the complexity. It also offers various formatting options, but again, learning all of these options takes a lot of time and effort.

Onlinemedien, Selbstständig

A great tool to collect any written information

Kommentare: I think more people that write blogs should give Scrivener a go, for me it has changed the way I work I can't speak more highly of it.

I use this software to help me manage websites, blogs and ideas. It allows me to store everything in a an easy to use, easy to find way. I love how I can have two documents open side by side, and easily open other ones just with one click. I use this daily. It is my go to for anything I need tot type out. The ability to have reference material easily at hand is great. I know this is a tool for people writing books, and I'm sure it does that job well, but for my purpose I can't rate it highly enough.

I wish there was a full blown android app allowing me to add info on the go. Also development seems to always get pushed out as we wait for the latest version.

Alberto Nahum
Associate Professor in Spanien
Bildungsmanagement, 1.001–5.000 Mitarbeiter

Convenient tool for the last stage of your writing process

Kommentare: I was writing a book (a compilation of articles) and was looking for software to help me assemble the whole manuscript. Microsoft Word, my usual writing app, was not convenient because I needed the flexibility to "play" with the order of the chapters. Scrivener provided just that. I did not need to open dozens of files (as in MS Word), but I could reorder them in one document with Scrivener. In addition, the label and metadata system saved me a lot of time and stress because I could easily map how my whole compilation was evolving.

I enjoyed how it lets you play around with the structure of your manuscript. For example, you can move parts of your manuscript to see how they fit into the overall design. It also lets you categorize, filter, and summarize every chapter so you can have an accessible overview of the whole project. It is incredibly cheap: you buy it once and have it forever. And the developers trust both their product and their customers: in the case of Windows, in 2020, they allowed you to buy the 2.0 version and upgrade for free to 3.0 (released at the end of 2021).

The learning curve seems overwhelming initially; nonetheless, there is a good tutorial within the program. If you are a little patient, you can master it eventually. Also, it could benefit from a more innovative interface, visually speaking, at least for the Windows version. It is enough for getting the work done, but it is not as appealing to the eye as other writing software.

Coordinator of Network and Technology Services in USA
Bildungsmanagement, 201–500 Mitarbeiter

Scrivener is like an encyclopedia of my own information!

Kommentare: Personally, when I'm able to use Scrivener, it rocks. As a person with hopeless World Builders Disease, I sometimes get forgetful about basic things. What was this character's name again? Where was she from? What's the name of the town to the north they spent the entire last 4 chapters in? Scrivener is a great way for me to look up, and see all that. It's like a Wiki about my own stuff. That I love. The other features like type-setting, I don't primarily use, but make good mockups for beta readers. Overall, I love it, just wished it pulled in easily (I do have scripts to help) my work from Google Docs.

Scrivener is an amazing organizational tool for my writing. I find it keeps, stores, and helps me keep track of everything that's going on. If you are like me, you can get lost in your own work. Scrivener helps keep me focused, and having all my info I need at my finger tips.

What I love about Scrivener is also one of my biggest issues. Scrivener is an application, not a web app. As I typically write on a very lightweight device (Chromebook), Scrivener doesn't work for me as my daily driver. When, however, I'm able to use my full-size 'topper or my desktop, Scrivener is where I want to be.

Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

Great program for any author!

Kommentare: I've found Scrivener fairly easy to use and set up. I love being able to keep notes in the margins, use the info section to add chapter snippets to my index cards, and create character and setting pages. Adding footnotes and links is easy, too. The fact that I can link it to programs like Grammarly and Pro Writing Aid is an added bonus for when I am able to purchase those programs.

I love the cork board which gives me a chance to see my chapters at a glance. The fact that it looks like a corkboard with index cards tacked on is a plus. I also love the preset character and setting profile pages which you can add photos to.

Some of the features are hard to figure out without digging through tutorials on YouTube. I had to ask around to find out how to add my map image into the text of my book so it would be included in the final print. I also wish there were additional ways to add more than one photo to a character or setting page.

Marcus
Self-employed in Singapur
Marketing & Werbung, Selbstständig

Productivity-boosting writing app

Kommentare: I use scrivener for writing blog posts and articles. Scrivener is a writing tool that has greatly boosted my productivity because it keeps my writing constantly organized.

I really like the ability to rearrange sections and sub-sections of my work in a visual drag and drop manner. I always jot my ideas down as soon as I can because I don't fully trust my memory when I'm having lots of thoughts running through my mind. With the feature to rearrange these sections and ideas later on, I can piece my thoughts together with ease and complete the article with the exact flow I want it to be.

It takes a while to get the hang of all the features and implement it into my workflow. Be prepared to spend quite some time at the beginning to dive deep into its features if you really want to harness the full potential of this software.