Über Scrivener

Korrekturlösung, mit der Autor*innen Manuskripte durch Beschriften, Gliederung, Formatierung, Textbearbeitung und mehr organisieren können.

Erfahre mehr über Scrivener

It is difficult to move from feature to feature.

Bewertungen zu Scrivener

3,9

Scrivener hat eine Gesamtbewertung von 4,7 von 5 Sternen basierend auf 197 Nutzerbewertungen auf Capterra.

Hast du Scrivener bereits verwendet?

Alison
Alison
Proprietor in Kanada

Nothing Beats Scrivener for Writers

Scrivener is endlessly flexible, fitting any way you can think of to help you write the best prose you possibly can and print it in just about any way you may need, including producing files suitable for publication in online bookstores such as Amazon. The complexity does, however, make the program intimidating to beginning users. It helps if a user makes a conscious decision to learn and use only the bare bones at first, but it can be difficult to figure out what bare bones to use and where they are. It helps a lot, though, that Googling Scrivener along with a function of the program will produce dozens of how-to articles. After all, Scrivener is designed for writers, and a good number of them write about Scrivener!

I reluctantly admit that I haven't yet talked myself into tackling the learning curve on printing out anything but the simplest of documents from Scrivener. I'm sure it was worth it to many writers in the past who needed to produce publication-ready manuscripts, but these days Vellum is available for the Mac and Atticus can be bought for either Apple or Windows computers. Both are much easier to use.

Jack
Author in USA

The Gold Standard

Kommentare: What I love most is "everything all in one place". And easy to use basic functions immediately... and then adding using features as I discover them or need them.

Unbelievable value for the price. Amazing amount of features.

Granted... the learning curve for all the features is steep at times.

Richard
CEO in UK
Personalwesen, Selbstständig

Writing's on the Wall

5,0 vor 2 Wochen Neu

Kommentare: I generally love it. It's my go to software for writing and compiling documents for books, presentations, trainings, business plans, and SOR, and much more I'm probably forgetting. Overall very positive. And if I recall when I had interactions with support they were responsive and extremely helpfully. I think it was related to installing on a second computer.

I like that I can map out, plan, write, rearrange, reorder, and edit, documents easily. In my case this is presentation scripts, books, and also business plans, and SORs. It's so nice to just be able to move sections of writing around easily. Which leaves time for just writing without worrying about the order.

There's little I didn't like about it. I know I'm only scratching the surface with what I use it for, even as a writer, marketer, and author. So nothing stands out as an 'I don't like' for me.

Andrew
Director in UK
Verlagswesen, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Don't Believe the Hype: Scrivener is Awful and You Will Hate it - Avoid It and You Will Thank Me!

Kommentare: There are no functions for increasing or decreasing indent unless you want to go back to using the tab key constantly and if you do this in a list? Fugitaboutit. Scrivener 3 will remove the line from your list altogether as it assumes you didn't there anyway. It is awful software. Try to set the margins on Scrivener like you would on ANY free or paid word processing software. Go ahead, I'll wait...can't figure it out? That's because you can't do it. Scrivener 3 will set your margins as it sees fit and you will like it. Yes, the YouTube ladies will tell you that you can but good luck getting Scrivener to consistently set them and leave them. You'll be fighting page setup constantly with this software. How about leading on the text or "line spacing" as many word processors call it? Can't do that either. The whole document defaults to this weird 1.5 line spacing which is nearly impossible to change and keep changed. You'll be fighting line spacing for your entire document. This is an absolute travesty of an experience, Scrivener is trying to be smart about all the ridiculous carnival features it thinks you would actually use and in reality, none of its developers have ever tried to write a long form project using their own software...that is obvious. I could go on and on about the failure to process inserts like tables and pics and how these are a nightmare to format in your work or how you can't just add page breaks in a given paperback format or how you have to "complie"

Project management allows you to break down the document into various sections which act as separate files. This is great for project management or storyboarding but an absolute nightmare for writing a long form document like a book or thesis paper.

I have used this software for a couple months now and I absolutely hate it and for good reason. You cannot format text like you can in a free word processor like Open Office or in paid software like Word. They like to say you can but I'm here to tell you that you can't. Forget formatting lists in this garbageware. Scrivener 3 will format it as it sees fit and you will like it and just for fun, Scrivener will format it completely different under the exact same settings the next time you want a list. The format font is courier or Times and good luck trying to change that. Oh, you can change it alright, but it won't matter as every new line you type will be in the Scriver 3 font - not the one that that rest of the document OR in the defaults settings which you changed originally. No, Scrivener 3 will type in the font it chooses - either Courier or Times and you will like it. Fake reviews and YouTube videos tell you to set up your styles in the "styles" pallet but good luck getting Scrivener to actually set the style consistently in the style you saved in the palette. Ultimately, you will be fighting formatting constantly.

Easy-to-use book maker

Kommentare: Scrivener is a great tool for writers who want to output novels, short stories, screenplays, or a number of other various forms without having to do all the legwork from scratch inside Microsoft Word, Pages, Notepad, or Unix (okay, it's highly unlikely that any non-masochistic writer would use those last two to write -- but hey, you never know). Simple right clicks add folders (which become chapters when you compile) or texts inside those folders. Then you click on your text item, change your text style if you don't want the default, and start pounding those keys. Don't bother numbering the chapters -- you may want to rearrange them, and doing so involves simply dragging them around the hierarchy. Each text item you create comes with a synopsis section and a notes section, both of which are completely optional. If you don't fill out the synopsis, the first sentence of the passage shows up in the corkboard view. There's also a research folder where you can keep even more notes, which don't get counted towards your total word count. Spell checking is easy, exporting segments to various popular formats is easy, and compiling the whole project is easy...once you figure out how to select the whole project by clicking on the root folder. Unfortunately, my version has a quirk where any new text item forces everything I type onto one line until I close and reopen my entire project -- after which all my carriage returns show up and everything looks great. Scrivener streamlines the writing process a great deal, and is a must-have for any budding novelist. Don't leave home without it (if you're going to the coffee shop to write).

-Very easy to create chapters and reorder them -Very easy to see summaries and notes from the corkboard -Can apply custom templates (for example, Game Design Document templates) -Simple, if slightly confusing, to compile into an orderly Microsoft Word manuscript

-Slightly buggy -Chapter styles don't stick as easily as I'd like -Compiling process isn't entirely intuitive

Stuart
Stuart
Book Coach in UK

I'm beyond impressed!

Kommentare: Scrivener is my go-to app for writing my novels and screenplays. It allows me to organize all of my work in one place, and with the ability to save different drafts, I never have to worry about losing anything. With Scrivener, I can easily find the information I need. The interface is intuitive and easy to understand, and it is always available on all of my devices.

The organisational capabilities of both writing and research are invaluable. And the compile feature, once you get it set up, is astonishingly powerful and, with a bit of work, as good as Vellum.

It can take a while to learn Scrivener's unique features, but if you take the time, you'll find there's a lot more going on than you see at first. If there's one thing that bugs me is that the compile functions in Scrivener 3 are difficult compared to version 2.

Julie
owner in USA
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

Scrivener is the gold standard of writing software

Kommentare: I've been using Scrivener for years. I like that it's flexible in that I can use the features that I find helpful and not worry about ones I don't need.

Scrivener is as easy or complicated to use as you want it to be. You can get started quickly, then learn more about it's more advanced features as you need them.

About the only thing I don't like about it is that it's rather dull visually. For some people, however, this might be a plus, as it isn't distracting when you're writing.

Unterhaltung, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

If you need to really organize writing projects and not just write them

Kommentare: Scrivener makes light work of complicated documents and writing projects.

We use scrivener when we have a writing project with lots of working parts, not just text but other pieces as well that we need to organize. The corkboard feature is the number selling point for us.

Sometimes it can be a little clunky/slow.

Robert
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

Still the best for writers.

Kommentare: It’s my go to for Writing annd organizing stories.

There are so many programs out there to write with. Scrivener is still one of the best overall. It’s stable, and has good support.

Yes, there is a learning curve. But it’s well worth it.

Per
Professor in Schweden
Forschung, 5.001–10.000 Mitarbeiter

Scrivener, best for writing longer documents

4,0 vor 2 Monaten Neu

Kommentare: Scrivener is an excellent tool for writing longer publications, but I wish it will provide a better integration with more reference managers in the future. Give it a go and see how it can revolutionise your writing experience.

Scrivener is a fantastic tool for anyone who needs to write longer publications. Whether you're working on a book or a thesis, Scrivener offers a range of features that can greatly enhance your writing process. The most notable feature of Scrivener is its outline system. Instead of working with a single, linear document, Scrivener allows you to break your writing into smaller, manageable chunks. These chunks, known as "scrivenings," can be easily rearranged, edited, and viewed in a way that suits your needs. This makes it incredibly easy to maintain an overview of the document even when it is becoming substantial.

The integration between Scrivener and the reference manager I use (Bookends) is not so well developed yet, forcing me to export to MS Word to run Bookends to generate the reference list when the document is done. It works, but is a hassle when wanting to change anything in the document and having to redo the entire process.

Virginia
Freelance Writer in USA

Scrivener, My Unpaid, but Super-powered Writer's Assistant

Kommentare: So many features that save time. I can access character and location profiles instantly. This is very important to me. I can import files from MS Word so that i can work further on them. I can format my manuscripts.

As a writer of fiction I have used MS Word for all of this century so far, until I came across Scrivener. After using Word for so many years it was a bit of a challenge to change to a new writing program. My writing habits were fully formed in Word, but there were features lacking in Word that I would have hoped would be there. For example instead of using the tried and true method of using index cards to set up scenes, Scrivener has a storyboard feature permitting a writer to examine and compare individual files on its ‘corkboard’. A far superior method than laying printed sheets on the table or floor to move them around and change the sequence of events, This works well for me because I can stop and write a scene that may come to mind is out of the story sequence without losing it forever. And, most importantly for me personally, I can save my knees from crawling around on the floor moving those awful index cards. I love the ability to write character profiles and back story, save them and access them whenever I need to enter info about their personality, wardrobe and other details. There is also the ability to keep scene/location profiles to access as needed. This keeps my story consistent in the fine points that the reader will remember and I might forget while writing. These features insure my credibility as a writer, and I like that. Scrivener is so much more than a word processor; it is my digital assistant who does not require a salary or benefits.

There is quite a learning curve. Patience is the virtue needed here. But it is well worth the effort.

Jeremy
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

If You're a Writer and You Don't Have Scrivener, Why?

Kommentare: Scrivener is one of those unicorn programs that's too hard to learn, even harder to master, and somehow still manages to be impossible to live without, even when programs with more specialized abilities come along and TRY to oust it. It's the kind of program that reminds you why you wish you'd become a dentist instead of a writer. Incredibly useful and occasionally frustrating and the one program no writer should be without (especially if they love a challenge).

Scrivener has many jobs, but it also has one job: Give the writer a central place for all of his project's components. Need a place to outline? Organize ideas? Store research? Write the draft? Label your nutty ideas? Comment on your nutty ideas? Export everything into a manuscript without corrupting it with nutty ideas? Track your word count? Customize your needs? Scrivener does it all. And it does for one low price. It also integrates well with the writing workflow, regardless of whether the writer uses Scrivener for everything or just some things. I personally find it useful for organizing the scenes I've already written, just in case it turns out I've forgotten something important along the way. Scrivener makes documenting the success and failure of a scene easy.

My complaint is probably the same as any one else's complaint: It has more features than I know what to do with. The cost of the courses designed to teach users how to use the software are often FAR more expensive than the software itself, and without those courses, it's hard to figure out how to use it effectively. Exporting to manuscript is not at all intuitive, even when you know what you're doing. It's probably more effective to write and plan within Scrivener, then copy/paste to another program for exporting. It doesn't have any visualization features. Sometimes graphs speak louder than synopses.

Joshua
Senior Copywriter in USA
Marketing & Werbung, Selbstständig

Scrivener is the best word editor for copywriters, bloggers, authors, and solopreneurs

Kommentare: The problem I'm using Scrivener to solve is I had a need to hold all of my writing work in one place for my business. I do not want to lose documents over time. I also use Scrivener to write more complex pieces of content such as Soap Opera Sequences, or books. When I open my Scrivener I see all of my projects going back from 2014, perfectly organized by folders. I open a project folder and see all of the word documents dedicated to that project. If I need to find something, I can easily search for it inside Scrivener and find it in no time.

What I like most about Scrivener is how easy it makes the process of writing something as complex as an entire book. Yet, it doesn't make the process of writing more simple documents any more difficult than using word. I've used scrivener to write dozens of Soap Opera Sequences (serialized drip email campaigns that use nested and open loops), sales letters, Instagram posts, proposals, and my first book. It's like using an enhanced version Microsoft Word , or Apple's Pages.

What I dislike most about the software is how the Microsoft version is a major update behind the Mac version. I wish they would release both versions within 3 months of each other. Right now I can't find a way to use emoji's in my writing on the Microsoft version. And that is a major letdown as using emojis is a very strong copywriting technique in 2021.

Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 1.001–5.000 Mitarbeiter

Focus on the end result

Kommentare: My experience with Scrivener is great. Although it is difficult to set up the compilation to provide the document desired formatting, once it is done it can be reused time and again without worrying. The end result is guaranteed to fit the configuration. Great if you are copywriting to the same sources. All you need to focus is on the writing and then just hit the compile button to have a ready paper to send to the editors.

Scrivener allows the writers (technical writers, academic writers or novelists) to focus on the activity itself with or without previous planning and worry about the publishing result later. This greatly improves the writing process.

Configuring the document compilation to provide the desired end result is somewhat difficult and obscure, sometimes demanding a set of trials and errors to get that detail right.

Trudi
Writer in Neuseeland
Schreiben & Editieren, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Makes writing a novel so much easier

Kommentare: It's easy to use, fairly intuitive, and it helps to break down a novel into manageable chunks. It makes the process flow more easily, and it can be used for plotting as well as writing the actual book. It takes away some of the overwhelm that you can feel when writing.

The best thing about scrivener is the way that you can visually organise the sections or chapters of your novel, so that you can easily skip between them. It breaks it down into manageable chunks and stops it from being so overwhelming. You can label different sections, you can write notes next to the chapters, so you can see what you were planning to write, or what you want to achieve each scene, plus you can put in photos to help you remember what characters or settings looked like. It allows you to have the entire plotting/planning/organisation you need for a novel in one place.

It doesn't work as well in a PC environment. I love it on my MAC, and I tried to help a friend with a PC use it, and I couldn't figure it out.

Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 10.000+ Mitarbeiter

Extremely powerful software for novel-writing

Kommentare: It's great for tracking daily word counts, as well as setting daily/project word goals. The ease of use is extremely handy, and it formats projects in such a way to keep all my outlines, notes, images, etc. all in one place. I'll never use another writing software again.

What I love about Scrivener is that it molds to the user. If a user is a lightweight when it comes to technology, they can still use the software to meet their needs. But if the user expands to use the software to its full capabilities, they won't need to utilize other software to complete projects and export solid-looking books.

The Kindle plugin is buggy. A lot of times I have to export my books to an ePub file, then use 3rd party software to convert the file to mobi.

Julian
Julian
Author in UK
Verlagswesen, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

The very best of tools for writers

Kommentare: Just buy it or at least trial it. I use it for long books, articles, and pretty much everything. I love it. Nothing I've found comes close. I'm using version 3.0 on a Mac btw but the Windows version also gets good reviews.

I like pretty much everything about this software. It's a clean interface with a relatively easy learning curve. You can just start with it from day one and learn the various features (and there are many) as and when you need them. The main thing I like however is the way I can structure a long document, move sections around, look at the overview/abstract of each section, and quickly navigate to any part. It helps too that it's easy to have two different views open side by side. I also like the ability to have a separate research/notes section which I can structure to parallel the body of the document.

Not much to dislike. I found the integration with Grammarly and Hemingway a bit clunky but since moving to ProWriting Aid, advanced editing has become pretty much seamless. Outputting the finished product to pdf, Word or whatever takes a bit of learning but to be fair, that is because it is so customisable.

Brian
Artist in USA
Kunst & Handwerk, Selbstständig

Exactly What I Needed to Write My First Book

Kommentare: I don't know how I would have written my book without it. It was exactly what I needed and it performed exactly as I wanted it to every time I got under the hood and tinkered.

I was so pleased that everything I tried to do with this software worked. I have the Mac version and I was thrilled to discover that it interfaces with the user exactly like Finder. In fact, if you could marry a word processing program with an operating system, it works very much like that. I love that you can start with best practices templates and very easily customize them for your own strategy. Very useful for organizing thoughts and ideas as well as writing. Makes it easy to organize elements of a book and craft the structure of the book. I used it to develop plot, characters, scenes, settings, motives, story lines, and short snippets of writing.

I found compiling a bit challenging. Perhaps some usability attention to that would help. I may be having a difficult time understanding some of the terminology. But given the complete control over output that is delivered by this product, I will accept a little bit of work on my end to figure it out.

Rebecca
Verlagswesen, Selbstständig

Best writing software available.

Kommentare: Overall I love it and wouldn't want to write without it.

How versatile it is. There is so much functionality for every step of the process, from outlining to drafting.

Because there is so much versatility, it can take a little longer to master.

Möbel, 51–200 Mitarbeiter

The ultimate writing software for authors, publishers and creative writers

Kommentare: Scrivener has made it really easy to work on novels, though it can be used for any kind of writing.

Scrivener is one of the few word processors that is designed with authors in mind. Everything is focused around making the creative writing process easier and getting your document into publishing-ready format simple instead of complicated. Instead of writing continuously in a never-ending document that has to be loaded every time you open it up, Scrivener allows you to break out your work into separate groups and individual components (think chapters and scenes). This means you only need to load exactly what you're working on at the moment. All of these components can be dragged and dropped and re-arranged however you like at any time, which makes changing the organization of your work a snap. Scrivener contains many useful tools like a sticky word and character counter, the ability to switch the view on your project between a document, corkboard, or outline format no matter which way you actually wrote it, and goal setting, tracking and analytic tools to keep you on target.

The only thing I wish they had was a cloud version that could be accessed on other PCs or my phone, for when I have "lightning strike" and I want to work on my project but I'm not at my home computer.

Alberto Nahum
Associate Professor in Spanien
Bildungsmanagement, 1.001–5.000 Mitarbeiter

Convenient tool for the last stage of your writing process

Kommentare: I was writing a book (a compilation of articles) and was looking for software to help me assemble the whole manuscript. Microsoft Word, my usual writing app, was not convenient because I needed the flexibility to "play" with the order of the chapters. Scrivener provided just that. I did not need to open dozens of files (as in MS Word), but I could reorder them in one document with Scrivener. In addition, the label and metadata system saved me a lot of time and stress because I could easily map how my whole compilation was evolving.

I enjoyed how it lets you play around with the structure of your manuscript. For example, you can move parts of your manuscript to see how they fit into the overall design. It also lets you categorize, filter, and summarize every chapter so you can have an accessible overview of the whole project. It is incredibly cheap: you buy it once and have it forever. And the developers trust both their product and their customers: in the case of Windows, in 2020, they allowed you to buy the 2.0 version and upgrade for free to 3.0 (released at the end of 2021).

The learning curve seems overwhelming initially; nonetheless, there is a good tutorial within the program. If you are a little patient, you can master it eventually. Also, it could benefit from a more innovative interface, visually speaking, at least for the Windows version. It is enough for getting the work done, but it is not as appealing to the eye as other writing software.

Gesundheit, Wellness & Fitness, 11–50 Mitarbeiter

A great way of organizing text-based projects and research

Kommentare: Very positive. I have used it for several years and I really enjoy it.

It features a solid set of options and functions to organize, create, and publish text-based work, whether it's a publication, the framework for a website's content, or projects that have a lot of documentation.

Scrivener isn't always intuitive with its features. You sometimes have to do some research online to find how to do things and even then, it takes a little work to get things going the way they should.

Shae
Yoga Teacher and Writer in Indonesien
Gesundheit, Wellness & Fitness, Selbstständig

Best Software for Writers

Kommentare: It gives me more efficiency, ease, and enjoyment in my writing work!

I absolutely can't live without my Scrivener software. As a writer, I love the fact that all of my documents can be kept in one place, and I can easily organize with folders and subfolders, and write in different composition modes. It's a writers dream - especially for those who want to spend less time organizing their material and more time actually writing!

The walk-through 'how to use' the software took a long time to go through - which I don't think people should skip because it really helps to understand how to use it, though I did get impatient towards the end of the walkthrough.

Marcus
Self-employed in Singapur
Marketing & Werbung, Selbstständig

Productivity-boosting writing app

Kommentare: I use scrivener for writing blog posts and articles. Scrivener is a writing tool that has greatly boosted my productivity because it keeps my writing constantly organized.

I really like the ability to rearrange sections and sub-sections of my work in a visual drag and drop manner. I always jot my ideas down as soon as I can because I don't fully trust my memory when I'm having lots of thoughts running through my mind. With the feature to rearrange these sections and ideas later on, I can piece my thoughts together with ease and complete the article with the exact flow I want it to be.

It takes a while to get the hang of all the features and implement it into my workflow. Be prepared to spend quite some time at the beginning to dive deep into its features if you really want to harness the full potential of this software.

Heather
author in USA

Great writing software!

Kommentare: I've been using the software for more than five years and two dozen books. I use it to draft my books and organize them for the second pass. This is by far my favorite word processing software for drafting new stories.

I love that it's easy to organize my writing, to insert or move scenes in my novels, and to track research for it. Being able to look at the documents in long text, cork board and outline modes helps me see it better when I'm having an issue with the story.

That the smart phone version is only available for IOS. I REALLY wish I could get it on my andriod phone to use when I'm out and about.