An Excellent Tool for Designing 3d Prints and CAD Prototypes

Bewertet am 30.12.2018
Summer Intern

Kommentare: In the context of Fusion being a tool for novices, it is an excellent tool to start designing in to learn the ins and outs of CAD and 3D modeling.

Vorteile: Fusion is a hybrid parametric modeling program offered by Autodesk. Fusion is the more entry level offerings in the Autodesk lineup, being simpler to use compared to their other offerings like Maya and 3DSMax, albeit while fulfilling a different role. One of the main benefits of Fusion 360 is that it is free. After then end of the trial you can choose to continue using the software as a hobbyist for free, allowing you to use it so long as you do not monetize the models created in Fusion. Being free, there is plenty of documentation and tutorials available to get started on Fusion and begin using it for CAD design. One of the areas where Fusion shines is for 3d printing, creating suitable printable models with ease. Fusion integrates with many models of 3d printers so that they can be directly printed from the program. For unsupported printers, Fusion can also export 3d printable formats such as .STL files for the printer to use. This is usually preferable anyways, as it allows for more flexibility compared to printing right in Fusion.

Nachteile: Fusion is a hybrid modeler, combining the features of a direct modeler and parametric modeler to create a more streamlined and easy to use tool overall. This means that some of the more complex parametric modeling tools and functions are missing from Fusion, making it unsuitable for more serious CAD design. While the interface is clean, many functions are often hidden behind too many mouse clicks that can make the program hard to navigate at times. this can be particularly confusing for those unaccustomed to 3D modeling or CAD software.

A great alternative to the more expensive 3D modeling softwares out there

Bewertet am 20.3.2019
Mechanical Engineer
Maschinenbau oder Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: The cloud-based rendering is a great feature in Fusion 360 which puts way less strain on your cpu compared to a local render, allowing to continue working uninterrupted. There are a ton of render options for both your model and the background environment, and the final quality of the rendered images is fantastic. I like the cloud-based file sharing option which allows you to collaborate with others on the same project. It's also available for mac operating system as well as windows unlike some of its competitors. Regular updates and improvements that run relative unnoticed in the background, and they are constantly adding cool new features. It takes up very little room on your hard drive as the software is mostly cloud-based.

Nachteile: Fusion 360 is still a relative newcomer in the 3D modeling software world, and although I think it is a great contender to it's competitors, it is still very glitchy and crashes often. The output file format options are very limited compared to the input file format options.

The best CAD tool for hobbyists and anyone who wants to make something

Bewertet am 6.8.2019
Ryan L.
Graduate Research Assistant
Maschinenbau oder Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I first used Fusion 360 as an undergrad because it was free for students, and later found out that it was also free for hobbyists. I love that approach to software, because I believe anyone should be able to dream something up and make it; Fusion 360 just provides one of the most powerful tools for that development process. I've used it to design robot parts, program machine toolpaths, and modify CAD designs from free libraries for fun. I really enjoy using it.

Vorteile: Fusion 360 set out to be the best integrated CAD and design software, and it certainly has achieved a lot of its goals. While not as high-powered as top-tier CAD programs, it holds its own and is uniquely designed with the user in mind. I love Fusion 360's cloud-based system; without having to store files locally, I can log in on any machine that has Fusion 360 and access my projects. The interface is clean and easily customized, and the tools are intuitive. There is also an active community that is great at answering questions, and a lot of YouTube tutorials put out by Autodesk and others that fully explore Fusion 360's functionality.

Nachteile: Because Fusion 360 is constantly being updated and new developments are being added regularly, sometimes you will open it up after a few weeks without using it and the interface will be different. If you're trying out a preview feature, you might not get to keep it if the development team decides to go in a different direction. But this is rare.

I use this for prototyping AND teaching children how to design 3D prints!

Bewertet am 5.12.2018
Christopher V.
Owner, Central Square Technologies, Inc.

Kommentare: I've really been able to take my modeling and prototyping and even teaching STEM students to the next level.

Vorteile: Fantastic ease of use, easy to teach and learn. Everything is in places that makes sense and you can create models based on measurements very easily. The software is designed to go right to 3D printers and even CNC machines. Lot's of options for modeling types/contexts such as parametric and even sculpting primitives. The cloud platform makes it very easy to access your work from other computers/devices.. One of the most useful features for me is the fact it handles threads so well, easy to 3D print and have parts properly screw together. I tested over 30 different modeling software packages before I settled on this. No regrets.

Nachteile: The only real gripe I have is with the overall model of subscription services, I'd rather pay and own this type of software but I understand I am getting real time patches and updates.

Good work Autodesk!!

Bewertet am 6.10.2019
Martino T.
Elektrische/elektronische Fertigung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: My overall experience with fusion is very much positive! I use it for every project i need to make and i'm very happy

Vorteile: With these software Autodesk tried to unify a lot of their softwares and i think they've created something really powerful and accessible. Fusion 360 is very powerful and free for hobbies or small companies. This is incredible!

Nachteile: Sometimes Fusion can behave strangely but Autodesk launches updates basically every week to fix problem or to add new features.

Great Designs Require a Reliable Software

Bewertet am 14.12.2018
Long B.
Bildungsmanagement, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Thanks to Fusion 360, I have found myself relying on it constantly for virtual design testings. Of course, true testing requires real-world application; however, Fusion 360 has been fairly accurate with its simulated statistics. Ever since high-school, my team and I discovered Fusion 360 and used it for our design testings to which we 3D-printed and used for our Toyota-sponsored hydrogen car. By far one of the most reliable and useful software for prospective designers and engineers. Or you know, if you have a passion for these kind of fields, I recommend giving Fusion 360 a shot.

Vorteile: As an engineering major, Fusion 360 has become my go-to software when I feel the need to simulate any designs my team produces. It provides a multitude of options when creating designs, such as angular checks, grid-line-based auto adjustment, 360 degrees perspective, and so on. It also has a cloud feature that allows you to store your designs or even share it via email. I also find it particular helpful that you can do design tests such as putting it through a wind-funnel and seeing the air resistance as well as the designs performance in general.

Nachteile: Although I use this software quite often, I have to say it did take me a little time to figure out what each option did and how to become more fluent with my use of Fusion 360. Thereby, Fusion 360 is not for those that aren't willing to put in the effort and passion in running designs. It takes quite a bit of patience to understand the functionalities overall.

Everything you could want.....and more

Bewertet am 19.12.2018
Ryan B.
Calibration Technician
Maschinenbau oder Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: This is the only software I choose to use when starting a project. I have used other CAD packages in the past, but Fusion 360 has made everything easier. It's not just my top recommendation for CAD software, it's my only recommendation.

Vorteile: It has everything you could want in a single CAD/CAM package. You can take an idea from concept, through development, and then to manufacturing without switching programs. The software is very intuitive if you have ever used any other piece of CAD software. It's also very easy to experiment with different tools you may not normally use. With Fusion 360 it allows you to jump into Rendering or even some FEA analysis without having to learn an entirely new piece of software.

Nachteile: I dont have many. When getting started you may have a little trouble learning how bodies and components affect one another, but once you learn that then everything else is very intuitive.

Best choice for Makers

Bewertet am 6.2.2019
Kevin K.
Teamleiter trafficmaxx Berlin
Design, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I was able to teach myself 3D CAD, and solve all my basic needs around 3D printing projects, like little accessories, cases or replacement parts for any broken item around the house.

Vorteile: Fusion 360 is an excellent piece of software for hobbyists and makers, especially considering that it's completely free, even for small businesses. The learning curve is very steep and if you are willing you can create complex designs all by yourself in very short time.

Nachteile: You need a basic understanding of the working principles of a 3D CAD software and you must be willing to try and learn. It's not as easy as working with primitives like in Tinkercad, but it's of course aimed at another group of people. What should also be noted, is that Fusion 360 is cloud based, so all your designs are stored there, which is convenient, when you access them from different locations but can also be a disadvantage if Autodesk will one day decide to pull the plug on the servers. If you are using an older Mac, be aware that they will soon drop support for macOS below version 10.13.

3D printing.

Bewertet am 28.1.2019
John K.
Recruiter
Militär, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I love fusion 360. I use it for all my 3D modeling designing techniques. I find myself wanting to use this more and more with each use. It's honestly the best i have found yet.

Vorteile: This application blows others like sketchup out of the water. It allows me to create a components so that i can create an entire object within the application rather than creating seperate components and trying to merge them all in a different project/file.

Nachteile: Fusion 360 can cost a little much if you can't take advantage of its student license.

Must have tool for Hobbyist

Bewertet am 13.6.2019
Zoran N.
Analytics
Forschung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I have been using Fusion for more than two years now, previously I have been using Solidworks but for hobbyist it is way to expensive

Vorteile: Ease of use and plenty of on line courses held by bunch of professionals.
As a hobbyist I am using fusion to make models which later will be printed on 3D printer.
For fast prototyping must have tool. Free for students and educators - hobbyists

Nachteile: I have no complaints regarding this software, it is stunning

Great For Everyone

Bewertet am 20.3.2019
PM
Transport/Güterfrachtverkehr/Schienenverkehr, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Fusion has provided me an insight into the world of CAD and helped me build up a useful skillset for engineering design

Vorteile: Versatile in its ability to construct anything, Has materials and structural testing suite and can produce a variety of dependable results (tested against irl results and had a 2% margin of error)

Nachteile: Takes some time to learn if not trained in previous renditions of the software, quite a few bugs with intercepting elements.

Great tool for 3d Printing!

Bewertet am 10.3.2019
Brandon H.
IE
Fluggesellschaften/Luftfahrt, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: The feature set of this tool was really great. I regularly design 3d models to print and this has played a key part in my learning. And it was really easy to use. I have used other cad tools in the past so I do have experience but I do think it would easy for anyone to pickup.

Nachteile: - Lack of simulation tools for 3d printed parts
- Hard to do text or sketch on curved surfaces

Fantastic experience with Fusion 360

Bewertet am 30.8.2019
Alejandro K.
Maschinenbau oder Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: My experience with Autodesk Fusion 360 has been fantastic. It is an easy to use tool for beginners and a powerful one for experienced users.

Vorteile: I use Fusion 360 for designing both simple and complex models. Whenever I need to design a quick prototype, the user friendly and well designed interface allows me to rapidly create what I need. When working on a complex model, this software has every feature I need to turn my ideas into a reality. Fusion 360 has a fantastic user community, with a solution for virtually every problem I have encountered.

Nachteile: I have experienced some bugs with the ViewCube, where it stops responding and I'm not able to orbit my model. Besides, the browser sometimes persists over other programs even if I have minimized the main Fusion 360 window. Every bug I have experienced has been solved quickly, at most, by restarting Fusion 360.

New to CAD/CAM, but very easy to learn.

Bewertet am 13.11.2018
Dave M.
Design, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I love it! I learned to use this software by following the training and tutorials from Academy.TitansofCNC.com Prior to using F360, I had used Sketchup and found it very limiting and "toyish". F360 to Sketchup is a like a Mack Truck compared to a Chevy S10, in a different league.

Vorteile: A lot of tutorials are available for learning the capabilities of this amazing software. Very intuitive and easy to use.

Nachteile: There are certain steps or procedures that must be followed, but this is more of the machining process than the software. The CAM operations are very intuitive.

My current favorite 3D modeling tool for 3D prints

Bewertet am 22.8.2018
Steven B.
Chief Engineer
Medizinische Geräte, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I use Fusion for rapid prototyping of medical devices, furniture, and art. I'm satisfied with the program and like that it is both Cloud Based and has offline capabilities.

Vorteile: Fusion 360 is pretty easy to use and the drop-downs are intuitive (assuming you're not new to modeling). I like how easy it is to export models to the CNC or 3D Printer.

Nachteile: I also do video game design and Fusion has NOT made that easy to do at all. It looks like I'll aso be using 3DSMax for awhile until they Fusion becomes a little more friendly to the VR world. It is super easy to accidentally delete previous work if you don't save before closing Fusion (Windows update is the bane of productivity and cause of a lot of lost work).

A very rewarding program to learn.

Bewertet am 28.11.2018
Ted X.
Master IT Professional
Design, Selbstständig

Vorteile: I like this program as it offers many features that can also be seen in programs such as Solidworks. However, Fusion can be acquired for free while Solidworks can cost quite a bit of money. Fusion also has a builtin CAM software so it can generate G-Code straight from the model that can also be designed in the program. Fusion is primarily a CAD program specifically for 3D design and it does a great job at that as well, the models can be easily designed once you get the hang of the program and models can also be easily exported to STL files for 3D printing later.

Nachteile: The program has a mild learning curve as the main concept of it is to first, draw out a 2D sketch and then extrude that into a 3D model, and even though it is a great alternative to Solidworks should Solidworks be a bit too expensive. It lacks a few features that Solidworks does have. However, the program is quite easy to learn from online tutorials and general trial and error.

Quick to learn but very complete

Bewertet am 18.8.2019
Silvio B.
Software developer

Kommentare: I've been using it mainly for 3D printed prototypes from years now and I will definitely keep using it. It is a great product, thanks!

Vorteile: I loved the learning curve, from the beginning is clear how to create even relatively complex models. Also the sketch feature is awesome!

Nachteile: Sometimes it slows down or chrashes when working on heavy files or gives login problems once in a while

Fusion 360

Bewertet am 20.12.2018
Brian L.
Bildungsmanagement, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I really enjoy Fusion 360, it has let me design projects that have helped further the design process in projects

Vorteile: I loved the fact that the software is free for private consumers. It is fairly intuitive and easy to work with. All files can also easily be exported to 3D printers or milling machines

Nachteile: There are some lacking functions that would be nice to have, the workspace is hard to manipulate sometimes and I wish it had a slicer built in

Best CAD and 3D modelling Software

Bewertet am 29.3.2019
Kanad N.
Robotics Engineer
Elektrische/elektronische Fertigung, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Have been using Fusion 360 for more than a year for 3D modelling and printing. Very Easy to learn and User friendly interface.

Vorteile: This application contains all necessary tools required for 3D modelling and Stress testing. Have a great support for 3D printing and models can be directly imported to Slicing software.

Nachteile: Takes a lot of time for starting if there is no network connection.

From concept to finished product in one software

Bewertet am 2.8.2019
Gabriel junqueira S.
Marketing and Sales Director
Bau, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: With a little patience and the help of the huge online community and tutorials, I can design, test and prepare for production (cnc milling or 3d printing) any part or assembly of parts with precision and confidence. It hugely saves on development time and cost.

Vorteile: The integrated workflow that covers all the steps in product development, from prototyping to final production, is very powerful. I love how I can simulate force to preview material strain and resistance and have a precise idea of the performance of the final part even before I am done designing it.

Nachteile: It is very feature rich and powerful, which means it is complex and has a long learning curve

Autodesk Fusion 360 CAD review

Bewertet am 29.9.2018
Oral T.
Business Owner
Verbraucherdienste, Selbstständig

Kommentare: It somewhat works slowly on my computer even my PC has sufficient hardware and my internet connection speed is high. Especially when you work on it, the network connection is on. The software needs connect to cloud servers at time intervals and that process keeps software slow. If you want to work faster than you should close the network connection.

Vorteile: It's a parametric software. That means it is possible that after drawing you could easily change previous parameters according to your current needs. Thus you don't need to draw it from scratch.

Nachteile: I use it for only 3d modelling. So I don't need any rendering, CNC functioning, sheet metal feature, stress analysing etc. That covers a huge place in my PC. Beside the software gets slow.

Review of Overall Experience

Bewertet am 11.9.2018
Jordane M.
Luft- & Raumfahrt, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: On being introduced to the application for designing a school robot, it was very easy to utilize the package on basic terms. It offered tutorials as well as different modes of interface from rookie to expert.
Thus as i became more familiar with the application, more and more features became available by switching to more comfortable modes.
Enjoyed the mouse and keyboard interaction to maneuver 3d objects in space.
Enjoyed the x,y and z references as similar to the AUTOCAD application,

Nachteile: The blue flashing interface with the 3d object troubled my epileptic condition. Thus i had to obtain glasses to continue using the product. The addition of different colour themes to Fusion 360 would make it near to perfect for a student like me.

Excellent software if you are a 3D designer!

Bewertet am 24.1.2019

Kommentare: We use Fusion to create 3D designs and do 3D printing we love it!

Vorteile: It is a great tool has all the options that you can need to create your design, you can import other files from other programs etc. If you need a software to create 3D designs look no more Fusion 360 is all you need.

Nachteile: If your computer is a bit old or outdated software may lag, but this is not really a Fusion 360 issue. Software works great!

Great for hobbyists and students

Bewertet am 1.4.2019
Solution Architect

Kommentare: Building my own 3D models for printing which can then be shared via online communities.

Vorteile: As a hobbyist who likes to "tinker" this software is extremely powerful and the discounted licensing makes it available. With the free hobbyist option I would not be able to justify the price for what I'm doing with it. It's also full featured with this license making it top quality and something I would recommend as a learning to industry platform.

Nachteile: I can be complex for beginners but thankfully there are many online resources and tutorials available to help with specific features and functionality.

Absolutely the most complete CAD/CAM package available

Bewertet am 10.4.2019
Thomas C.
IT Director
Staatsverwaltung, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: This program is the most powerful product I have ever used for 3D design. It is on par with AutoCADs other offerings and is available free for most users. It is constantly being updated with new features that only make a great program even better.

Nachteile: The only issue I have with the software is the learning curve. Watch tutorials on YouTube to get up to speed and you won't regret it.