Deutschland Lokales Produkt

Apache Subversion Erfahrungen

4,1 (48) Eine Bewertung schreiben Deutschland Lokales Produkt

Über Apache Subversion

Open-Source-System zur Revisionskontrolle, das interaktive Konfliktlösung, Merge-Tracking, Dateisperrung und mehr bietet.

Erfahre mehr über Apache Subversion

T's easy to learn and really easy to use. Very intuitive and no confusing commands and history lines every day like GIT.

Recent update has fixed merging issue which resulted in falling back to git terminal.

Bewertungen zu Apache Subversion

4,0
3,5
3,8

Apache Subversion hat eine Gesamtbewertung von 4,1 von 5 Sternen basierend auf 48 Nutzerbewertungen auf Capterra.

Hast du Apache Subversion bereits verwendet?

Mohd Kasif
Mohd Kasif
Systems Analyst in Indien
Computer-Software, 5.001–10.000 Mitarbeiter

Great for version control

Easy to learn and use. Maintains different revisions of source code based within branches so it helps in reverting to previous versions if needed. Committing and merging the code is also pretty straightforward.

Sometimes conflicts when merging different branches together into another branch.

Simon
Technical Director in UK
Informationsdienst, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Subversion: Code storage another way.

Kommentare: Having come from Visual Source Safe in the early 2000s, Subversion was great in that it enabled more than one person to access and edit a file. Committing and merging those files is pretty straightforward and the flexibility it offers it good.
In addition, if there are secure areas of a project that only a few should see, the granular access features enable that to happen.

Ease of use and having the master (centralised) copy on site. Subversion maintains a master copy - the main source - and copies are made from that. Also having the ability to properly store binary, rather than textual files, is a bonus when wanting to version images or PDFs. Like GIT, but not Visual Source Safe (when we migrated), SVN gives the ability for many people to edit and change files and to merge the changes.

It is more difficult, if using an 'internal' server, to access remotely. You have to ensure that SSH tunnels etc are in place to grant remote access.

Informationstechnologie & -dienste, Selbstständig

Subversion Exists

Kommentare: Subversion works, it is just not a flashy tool or great experience. We never had a failure or issue with the tool not working, it was just not a flexible tool that grew with us.

When there is no other option, Subversion is there. We were stuck with Subversion due to company policy and it serviced the need well enough. It did what it set out to do, with no bells or whistles.

The toolset has a use case and if you venture to far away from what they envisioned, it is difficult to work with. We changed our process to match Subversion due to this which is never a good feeling when you are using a tool.

Bogdan
Tech Lead in Rumänien
Computer-Software, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Version control

Kommentare: I've been using SVN ever since I've migrated from Microsoft VSS and I still find it as powerful as ever and still relevant in 2022. We now use much better visual tools and online hosting services integrated with testing and CI/CD tools but the core SVN experience is still as good as it was

Personally I consider SVN to be the perfect balance between functionality and control. When working in a mixed team environment repository security and locking are paramount and SVN makes everything simple. Post commit hooks are also very useful and easy to implement.

I like the git ability to perform local commits and I'd love to have it in SVN but it I find the benefits of a centralised repository much more important.

Nigel Masimba
Nigel Masimba
WordPress Developer in Simbabwe
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, Selbstständig

I Only Use It to Upload to a Public repository

Kommentare: I've been using Apache Subversion for almost a year, but not as my main version control software. Work on my projects using another version control software, then when projects are ready to ship to the public repository I simply paste in the folder of the latest version into my Subversion folder, so I don't use it for version control per se. I just use Subversion because the public repository I upload to uses it. That said, there's nothing outright bad about Subversion. Other version control software fits better into my normal build workflow.

It works well for version control, and I am yet to have any merge conflicts. It allows users to determine the version numbers using built-in features. Version numbering is not straight forward, at least in my case. I only manage one application which needs to have the version number updated in 3 separate files, which is not quite straightforward at first. The public repository is much more easier to navigate and download software than the private version

It's not as easy to use as other version control software. With Apache Subversion it feels like I am manually creating files and then adding version tags or metadata to them, Whereas with my preferred version control system, I select which files I'm tracking, and whenever I need I commit the files to create new versions without having to manually separate the different versions.

Jayesh
Jayesh
Senior Software Developer in Indien
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 11–50 Mitarbeiter

Best software for versioning of files or documents

Kommentare: Easy to use this software.
I would like to highlight some of its features in short note as following.
Create Repository, Checkout, Update, Perform Changes, Review Changes, Fix Mistakes, Resolve Conflicts,Commit Changes and many more.
After all these about features i would like to say that there should be one feature in it and that is while we are working on any file and meanwhile if any other is trying to edit that file then it should alert that someone else is working in this file. It will be help the both person that who is working on this file so they can work in that way which will reduce the conflicts of files.

easy to maintain the current and historical versions of files such as source code, web pages, and documentations.

according to my experience, there is no any features that i don't like about this software.

Ernesto Enrique
Ernesto Enrique
Web Operations Manager & Co-Founder in Venezuela
Computer-Software, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

The simplest code VCS

In the company we were using SVN for a long time. What we liked most was its simplicity, in fewer steps than other alternatives today you can have the updated code. Another feature that we love: using the right client, the files have colored marks indicating which file is updated, which has conflict and which could not be updated, is simply great. But without a doubt, the feature that we like most is the ease of having your own SVN server in simple steps with the official tools without headaches

Subversion was my first approach to version controller and I owe a lot of my learning in the world of software development. While using it I had no complaints, but today, I have used other tools and could add something, I would like them to implement improvements in file transfer speed.

Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 11–50 Mitarbeiter

Like Git but Different

Kommentare: I've been using it since last year for work purposes and overall, I'm really satisfied with it. But unfortunately, it being overtaken by Git.

Been using this since last year (for work purposes) and there are several advantages when compare to Git. These advantages include: 1. Easier to find very old code by providing the version number. 2. It points out changes between working base (uploaded code) and working copy (existing code). 3. Prevents accidental committing of conflicted files. 4. Free and open source.

The thing I don't like SVN is that: 1. Clean up command takes quite some time. 2. Sometimes, it takes really long time to load changes.

Daniel
Software Engineer in USA
Computer-Software, 11–50 Mitarbeiter

outdated, but capable

I liked how easy it was to get set up and start using. Features are straightforward and mostly self explanatory. Better permissions model than git. It's a rather capable version control software.

What I don't like is that it's not a distributed system. So you'll run into issues with multiple people trying to edit the same files. You'll run into problems trying to push changes if you're running offline. Bit slower than some of the other source control systems.

Computer-Software, 501–1.000 Mitarbeiter

Great Version Control

Kommentare: Overall, I have zero major complaints about SVN. Just wish it was used more widely.

Pretty simple to use! Compared to Git, which is also pretty awesome, SVN is pretty simple. I've used both systems heavily for many years now, and I lean towards Git because my industry heavily uses it, but SVN is so straightforward and easy to use, and it easily gets the job done -- if you haven't used a version control system before, I'd start with SVN to get the basics and value-add down, then branch out/explore as needed. You may find that SVN is fantastic enough to get the job done!

It's more involved to manage cross team dependencies where multiple people are working on various projects simultaneously. I also wish this offered features that Git didn't have so there was a reason to use this -- as-is, it always comes down to SVN vs Git and SVN just isn't widely used in my industry anymore (seems more esoteric, and for our older projects, sadly, and wish we used it more).

Automotive, 501–1.000 Mitarbeiter

Simple yet powerful source repository

Kommentare: Speed! As developers we like to spend the least amount of time getting the latest code, creating tickets, and start working. Subversion never fails in getting you started within a few seconds. Its one of those products that you never even think about.

The main power of this tool is its simplicity. It does what it's supposed to do, and does not offer countless options that you need to learn before using it. When used in conjunction with tortoise, you get an easy integration with visual studio and MS file explorer. Unlike other products, committing and checkout code is just a matter of right click and choose commit or checkout... that's it, and that's how it's supposed to be.

Its simplicity can be a small nuisance here. The power you get to implement any branching strategy you like for instance, can turn out to be a little chaotic after a while if multiple teams use different strategies. There is no release management and automated build option and no option to add some kind of ticketing mechanism, you're going to need integration with other products for that. Again, simplicity is great, but you'll need other products in conjunction to subversion...

Alan Henrique
Application Development Specialist in Kanada
Computer-Software, 10.000+ Mitarbeiter

Easy to use

Apache Subversion is one of the cornerstones of versioning in software development. When it was launch, it was one of the best tools for developers, because we finally had the chance to step out of versioning softwares using hard disks and put things physically in a computer or server. This software changed the way we view versioning.

Subversion had minor flaws back in early 2000s when it started to become a thing among developers. However, if we compare Subversion with more modern tools like GIT nowadays, it is outdated and does not have the same advantages as the same. For example, we cannot create branches easily like we do with GIT. Also, it is not possible to reset the version of the current branch to an existing hash to troubleshoot some possible problem, and the list go on. Of course, there could be changes in Subversion that would improve its mechanism, however, those changes would require a lot of effort and would make the software lose its identity.

Andrew
Software Engineer in USA
Versicherung, 5.001–10.000 Mitarbeiter

SVN user forced into GIT

Kommentare: Used this daily across many projects for version control.

Easy to use and follow. Not a huge learning curve compared to GIT / Bitbucket

Tracking the merges is a pain compared to GIT

Ramya
Tech Lead in USA
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 10.000+ Mitarbeiter

Apache Subversion review

Kommentare: We use SVN for version control. Everyday we have some any modifications to keep track of what files are checked out and needs to be checked back in as part of the software development process. SVN is really useful software for the same.

Subversion is great for version control. The color coding that it uses to distinguish between checked out files and files yet to be checked in are really helpful. If your folder is up to date the it gives green color. If you are editing some files then it shows a read mark besides it.

Sometimes, inspite of getting the latest version, the files would not have updated. This would be confusing for the user. In that case you would have to delete the old folder and get a fresh copy from the server.

Lloyd
Computer-Software, Selbstständig

Subversion (SVN) has saved my bacon many times

Lets me back out my software in a structured way until I find a previous rev that works, and then lets me see the differences in the broken and working versions. Also lets me find out what date each line of code was modified on, and who made the changes, and what rev of the code it was. A must for single-user code development, and ok for multiple users.

Gets complicated if the repository has to move to a different computer. If you will have a lot of developers working on the same project, use Git and host it at Github.

Ramya
Technology Lead in USA
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 10.000+ Mitarbeiter

Subversion review

Kommentare: It is a good software for version control and code management with the visual indicators.

I like the visual indicators such as green color when the source code is up to date and red color when there are any edits that are still pending to be checked in. not all products offer that sort of color coding. you can figure out the status even without opening the source code.

Sometimes, it has made me get the latest version and the source code was still not updated. I had to manually delete the entire branch and get the entire source code.

Kevin
Software Developer in USA
Baumaterial, 1.001–5.000 Mitarbeiter

Great Version Control Tool

Kommentare: This was an upgrade from using Visual Source Safe but I needed to do so training on it before jumping in to set things up.

It had the option to rollback to a previous version if you wanted to undo a check in. It provided options to require locking certain files before modification while allowing the other files to be merged with any new revisions that happened during their modification. This gave the best answer for 2 scenarios where you have text files that are easy to merge and database files that you never want to automate a merge on. You can get plugins to add a GUI interface to work with Subversion and to integrate it with Visual Studio.

The terminology such as check out means something completely different than check out in Source Safe. So the need to get educated on what each term means is important when using this software, especially when coming from something similar to Source Safe.

Computer-Software, 201–500 Mitarbeiter

Easy Version Control

Kommentare: SVN can be suitable for new learners but git is recommended to use.

The thing I like most about SVN is that it is so simple to to learn and use. It is suitable for new developers or learners.

It does not provide much features like git does so git is recommended. Sometimes it takes much time to load the changes

Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Subversion is no longer state of the art

Kommentare: Subversion was a great solution for it's time. If you are looking at it in 2019: please use git.

Subversion provides centralized source code repositories, which are easy to set up. Checking out of sub folders is possible without any workarounds.

Branching and merging is inferior compared to modern solutions like git. Most of the time one needs to solve conflicts manually, especially on file moves or renames.

Arnaldo
Arnaldo
Software Engineer in Argentinien
Öl & Energie, 10.000+ Mitarbeiter

Good for small not experienced teams

Kommentare: For my starting job positions in small companies with 3-5 developers, most of us juniors starting to know the tech world and the full variety of development tools it was the best decision to use Subversion as a control version. You are not thinking of using Devops portals with git repos like azure Devops, you are not thinking of git flow methodology, you are not thinking about feature, dev, master and release branches. You only need a safe and stable place to store your code, and Subversion is great for just that.

t's easy to learn and really easy to use. Very intuitive and no confusing commands and history lines every day like GIT. It's incredibly good for new developers or designers that need a repository, but are not ready to enter into the GIT universe just yet.

With easiness comes a lot of impediments. You don't have the freedom that GIT offers. You cannot follow modern methodologies concerning code version control. You don't have the flexibility to work on big development teams working on the same code. You don't have the features to archive agile delivery standards.

Olivier
Software Architect in Frankreich
Computer-Software, 51–200 Mitarbeiter

A good solution when every one is on site

It's the historical replacement for Visual Source Safe, with a central server that makes upper management feel safe.

Nothing can be done offline, and branch management is not optimal at all

Computer-Software, 501–1.000 Mitarbeiter

A good reversion control system

Kommentare: We are using this tool for source code revision control, as a team we found its a good tool for source code version control,
It makes easy to know what was there in the previous versions of a file, what changes we made in past in a particular file, it keeps tracks the changes made in past and who made those changes and when the changes were made.

I like this software becase its Open source, Easy to use,and can be setup easily.

Working with svn commands is a bit difficult, as compared with working with User interface

Matthew
Software Engineer in UK
Umweltdienstleistungen, 11–50 Mitarbeiter

The minimum requirement for version control

Kommentare: My experience with Subversion is a little dated, as I have since migrated most of our repositories to Git, but in the past it served its purpose for basic version control, despite lacking the extra feature sets of Git.

Subversion (or SVN) is an easy to setup and use service and provides a comprehensive history of changes made to code. It's difficult to go wrong with SVN, owing due to how simple it is in concept.

Subversion has been largely overtaken by Git as the industry standard, as it lacks features such as offline branches and support for intelligent branching and merging as a platform compared to its competitor, though it remains a viable workflow for smaller scale projects.

Computer-Software, 1.001–5.000 Mitarbeiter

Used to be awesome, now superseded by other solutions

The centralized versioning model is fairly easy to understand for most people, developers as well as others that are less tech-savvy. Stable, robust and battle-proven. For a small team it may very well be the absolutely best alternative.

Branching is complex and expensive. Becomes hard to use for a very large team cooperating on a single repository (with very frequent conflicts etc). Doesn't really allow offline work.

Computer-Software, Selbstständig

Was a great replacement for TFS back in it's day

Kommentare: Subversion was an awesome replacement for TFS over a decade ago, but there's no reason to still be using it. Any serious dev shop should be using Git these days.

Subversion was a godsend when I first started using it. But that was over a decade ago, and I am drawing comparison to the TFS that existed back in those days. It had great Explorer integration (through TortoiseSVN) and allowed a better way to manage multiple branches.

Merging and managing branches were still a massive pain. Subversion is not a system that anyone should be using any more. By now anyone who is serious about software development should be using Git.