Über Ranorex Studio

Ranorex Studio ist ein komplettes Toolset für End-to-End-Tests von Desktop-, Web- und Mobilanwendungen.

Erfahre mehr über Ranorex Studio

Deepakkumar n. A.
Senior System Analyst - Automation
Transport/Güterfrachtverkehr/Schienenverkehr, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 14.2.2019

"Ranorex: Easy and Powerful Software Automation Tool"

Kommentare: Our organization works on a legacy desktop project using some relatively old Java Elements for its front-end design combined with C++ backend using CORBA calls. Some of the GUI objects are relatively new.
So our project has a mix of legacy / old Java objects [swanky toolbars] / new Java objects and c++ for backend.
Overall, the learning curve for the Ranorex Automation Tool was not steep.
I genuinely enjoy the coding and designing part for the project using this powerful tool as a senior architect for the project.
My Genuine Advice: Before purchasing, please use the free version of the tool and try building up an object repository for the system under test which can give you the confidence whether this tool is right for your project or not.

Vorteile: [My Organization got 20+ licenses for Ranorex after trying it out for 30+ days for free - I am neither related to Ranorex nor is this a paid review] Pros:
1. The tool is comparatively easy to learn [Compared to QTP-UFT].
2. There is amazing support available from Ranorex - This was possible because of the 20+ licenses purchased and Ranorex Representatives coming in to solve our specific queries. 3. The tool is powerful in the sense that it can help recognize and work with / take care of blinking objects / tooltips which disappear quickly / dynamic object which are difficult to recognize from automation perspective. 4. I like the idea that the tool gives you the power to start easy [simple recordings] and then you can take charge [for more complicated stuff - to harden the solutions] by designing User Code Methods / Modules.

Nachteile: 1. The tool is not cheap. [But worth the money spent] 2. Every-time you need to execute your code / automation recording, the whole solution needs to be re-built which takes time and is annoying. 3. Using the GitHub tool along with Ranorex for maintaining the code from various developers / maintaining versions and releases can be tricky and needs a little practice and patience.

• Bewertet am 14.2.2019
Katarzyna J.
Software Tester
Fotografie, 51-200 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 4.10.2019

"The best tool for mobile testing automation "

Kommentare: As I described above - Ranorex is highly useful for creating and executing stable mobile tests on our devices (Android, iOS). In future we plan to use this tool for web automation, too.

Vorteile: Complexity. The tool is proffesional (we have been used free Katalon Studio earlier which was buggy). It is very useful for mobile testing automation for our Android nad iOS apps. Tests are stable and easy to maintain.

Nachteile: Unfortunately - the costs. This tools isn't cheap. Also, Ranorex because of its complexity, it is not easy to at the first glance. You need some training and time to learn how to prepare tests.

• Bewertet am 4.10.2019
Richard L.
Test Engineer
  • Bewertet am 15.8.2019

"Rough around the edges but very powerful"

Kommentare: Positive - while it may not be the easiest to use, it is one of the most versatile and powerful automation packages out there.

Vorteile: Ranorex can be used by those with no knowledge of code through recording modules, and 99% of the time this is all that is required. In addition it allows code modules to be written and run by those experienced in C#, and this means that almost anything is possible to automate.

Nachteile: The software is finicky and difficult to use and understand; it can sometimes be frustrating. I would recommend using it on a powerful PC with lots of RAM as the Ranorex Studio and Spy software can sometime freeze on weaker PCs.

• Bewertet am 15.8.2019
Pavel K.
Test Automation Engineer
  • Bewertet am 14.11.2018

"Ranorex rocks!"

Vorteile: What I really like about Ranorex is its wide coverage of technologies, relative easy to learn and use UI, pretty robust and reliable element recognition and very helpful and responsive support. In fact, their proactive and friendly support was one of the major decision points for me. I'm working with Ranorex since 2012 and so far, I was always able to achieve my goals (automating mainly desktop and web-based apps).

Nachteile: Unfortunately, I really don't like Ranorex API documentation. While the general Ranorex user guide is great both for novice and advanced users, advanced coders may find Ranorex API documentation pretty inadequate and lacking samples. Luckily, Ranorex user forum is already filled with tons of use cases and code examples. Still, Ranorex API documentation really needs an overhaul.

• Bewertet am 14.11.2018
Tim B.
Ops Support Engineer - Team Lead
Krankenhausversorgung & Gesundheitswesen, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 8.11.2018

"Meeting all of our automation needs"

Kommentare: Ranorex has helped our small staff, with limited resources, develop a large series of regression suites that test our software weekly. It has become an invaluable tool for us, and something we are continually finding new ways to incorporate. They have great customer service, and are continually updating and adding useful features.

Vorteile: Ranorex is an affordable alternative that is easy to get up and running. We use it for testing our web solutions, and in-house software. You can do most things without knowing a lot of code, but it is robust enough that, for someone with coding experience, the possibilities are pretty limitless.

Nachteile: While customer support is exceptional, there is a smaller user base, so finding solutions in the community can sometimes be more difficult. This isn't a fault of the software, but a limitation all the same.

Bg B.
Lead Automation Engineer
Computer-Software, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

"Ranorex user since 2.3"

Kommentare: I use Ranorex to automate our software suite that spans many windows and web applications. It's great to be able to use one framework to automate all of our software and not have to split it up between web and desktop.

Vorteile: Works with many technologies. I use it for web and windows. What I like the most about it is the Visual Studio integration, where I just reference the dll's in my own solution.

Nachteile: As a whole, I like Ranorex a lot but if I had to complain about something, it would be that occasionally (once a month) during my automation executions, I have element identification issues and/or crashing Thread.Abort issues. Both are very hard to reproduce manually and I pretty much gave up on them. I will note I use the Visual Studio integration.

Martin J.
Software Automation Tester
Unterhaltungselektronik, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 8.11.2018

"Ranorex lives up to the hype!"

Kommentare: My overall experience has been great with a few hiccups that have always been promptly resolved. For our team, we have a broad range of test cases that we automate on various platforms, web, mobile, and desktop. Using Ranorex, we have been able to integrate our automation seamlessly into our testing environment and we have covered a lot of tests that have saved us time and money. Great experience and once you have the tool under control and some coding experience with C#, the possibilities are endless.

Vorteile: Its flexible and allows for end to end cross platform automation solutions. I really like that I can use my own code to automate features that I need more control over. So far, whenever I have hit a problem the support team has worked with me to resolve the issue.

Nachteile: I wish there were a full dark mode. I also hope that mobile automation capabilities are expanded in the future as more software moves to mobile platforms.

Teme S.
Sr. Test Automation Engineer/Scrum Master
Transport/Güterfrachtverkehr/Schienenverkehr, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 18.1.2019

"Great Automation Tool"

Kommentare: Ranorex is great for testing UI applications, the other options I have seen(UFT) are not as good as Ranorex. When it comes to web applications, Selenium is king. For UI Ranorex is great.

Vorteile: I've been working with Ranorex for the last 2 years. Its a pretty good automation tool with great features. The data binding framework is great. The reporting features are great.

Nachteile: Git issues. Ranorex has a hard time merging repositories and test suites. They recently came out with a git merge tool but its not perfect, there are still issues when merging. Another con, which may be seen as a pro for some, is the fact that it requires little coding. This is a con for developers who want to retain their skills.

• Bewertet am 18.1.2019
Jeff M.
Developer
Telekommunikation, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 3.12.2019

"Beginner or Experienced - This Will Work for You"

Kommentare: I was trying to get the testing function started within my development department. Ranorex helped me get testing up and running very quickly. The reports that it generated are very helpful for management to see what I am testing and how the tests went.

Vorteile: I have tried several automated testing suites and Ranorex Studio has the best object recognition that I have found. The repository is easily manipulated so that you can make any adjustments that are needed. Also, the support is top notch. I have always gotten an answer in a very timely manner. They were always willing to go the extra mile when I did not understand something.

Nachteile: The documentation. Let me clarify - I am old school and really like having the option for printed documentation. Recently, they went to online documentation and I just don't like it as much.

• Bewertet am 3.12.2019
Kelsey L.
Senior QA Engineer
Unterhaltung, Selbstständig
  • Bewertet am 9.9.2019

"Haven't found the sweet spot"

Kommentare: Overall, I'm missing the sweet spot that I have heard others speak about. I'm still in the beginning phases but have had minor issues with standard recording, especially when administrative access is required.

Vorteile: The integrations and capabilities seem to be great. I've had colleagues use the point and click/recording feature previously and could only say great things.

Nachteile: Not Mac compatible so it has to be ran on a VM. The performance is slow while recording which makes the data entry a little difficult and requires the steps to be modified. I haven't found the best way to secure passwords, other than variables which are still readable by anyone with access.

• Bewertet am 9.9.2019
Richard B.
Senior Tester
Telekommunikation, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

"Quick and easy to use"

Kommentare: Used for regression testing common business process; automating repetitive tasks e.g. password validation; cross browser testing.
But licences expensive. Would stick with Selenium if you already have framework in place. Ranorex would be useful if starting from scratch as much faster to build tests than Selenium especially if your web site is built on iframes.

Vorteile: Test suites can be put together vey quickly using record feature and organised logically using smart folders. Ranorex Spy very useful for creating paths to elements. Easy to add additional code and Ranorex helpers provided for common procedures. White List feature can be used to only include the required processes which avoids interruptions during playback. Ranorex Agents can be installed in remote machines for parallel running (need runtime licence for each active Agent). New features and improvements being added all the time. I have only used the web testing part so far so cannot comment on mobile or desktop support.

Nachteile: Integrates with Selenium but the number of parallel tests is restricted to the number of Ranorex licences you have which excludes one of the main features of Selenium. No graphic representation of modules and workflow as exists in other products e.g. HP UFT. Does crash occasionally.during record sessions apparently due to McAfee. User Guide could have more detail.

Abdul R.
QA Technical Lead
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 9.11.2018

"Ranorex The Best Automation Tool You Can Ever Find in The Globe"

Kommentare: > Automation of 15 Projects + Other Day to Day to Utility Automation Support for any project needs is carried out by us during the period of time
> We have purchased as many as many licenses having trust over the Ranorex.
> The upgrade part of Ranorex is the most attractive thing to go for Ranorex.

Vorteile: > Ranorex is the best software that can be found to Automate any legacy application in the market
> Ranorex is the worth buying an option for any IT company planning for Automation
> Ranorex support is one of the best i have every witnessed when it comes to After Purchase Support
> I have used many number of Automation Tools in my entire career and found the best to be Ranorex
> I have recommended Ranorex to many number of people about its advantages over other tools
> Ranorex has a variety of options available which are good to be utilized throughout any sort of need which you might have.
> Overall Ranorex has more no of Pros which can be found once we start using this tool
> Their support to Evolving Software Industry is tremendous and Enormous amount of benefits lie withing the package.

Nachteile: > Best Software always doesn't have any Cons.

Senior System Engineer
Krankenhausversorgung & Gesundheitswesen, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 9.11.2018

"About Usability and Reporting in Ranorex"

Kommentare: I work for Siemens Healthcare and we have been using the software from few years now and it has really helped us reduce the manual effort without spending too much time discovering about the tool.
Unlike Selenium where in from A to Z you need to configure everything starting from Framework till Reporting. But Ranorex is comparatively a user friendly tool if the company/person can afford it.

Vorteile: -The framework is available ,any person not having too much knowledge about Automation can easily get started using the tool.
-The tool provides Reporting capability which is the biggest plus as after the tests are performed if we cannot report the results then the tool is of no use.
-More over the record and play back facility to a large extent provides support for a person to understand the flow of code.

Nachteile: The biggest drawback is that there is very less support available online apart from the Ranorex community.
For automating basic things its fine,but when it comes to automating specific controls and applications it gets difficult to get help in automation. And not many people/companies work on this software as compared to Selenium because of the cost factor.

Senior Consultant
Krankenhausversorgung & Gesundheitswesen, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 15.11.2018

"Ranorex, a great tool for web application automation"

Kommentare: My overall experience with this tool has been great. Setting up an automation framework using any of the freeware tools like Selenium is a very tedious task as compared to Ranorex which makes your job simple by providing it's inbuilt automation framework .

Vorteile: Pros:
1. Provides great automation framework to test web/mobile application.
2. Ranorex studio is an easy to use IDE, very similar to Visual studio.
3. Reporting feature are great, user gets a graphical report in HTML format.
4. Floating license allows multi user access.
5. Ranorex is an easy to use automation tool, which any user with less coding knowledge can learn easily.

Nachteile: Cons: What did you like least about this software?
1. Not compatible with Flash/Flex Framework
2. Not much content on internet to learn about this tool.

• Bewertet am 15.11.2018
Director of IT (Data Science)
Krankenhausversorgung & Gesundheitswesen, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

"Capable and Flexible"

Kommentare: Overall, Ranorex provided my team with a great start. We plan to code around Ranorex in the future as the license agreement isn't flexible enough to provide the volume we require for a reasonable price. If you don't intend to run more than 50-100 parallel tests, and you have skilled developers to code the tests, then Ranorex is a fine solution.

Vorteile: Ranorex provides a flexible base for any automation effort. The record and play features provide just enough functionality to get a team going; while the code module functionality provides the ability to create efficient and robust automation.

Nachteile: In order to execute tests in parallel, we had to develop a VM farm and controller system. There are many solutions in the open ware market to handle this and could be offered as part of the Ranorex system.

ASSOCIATE ENGINEER DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT
Krankenhausversorgung & Gesundheitswesen, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 12.11.2018

"Superb Ranorex"

Kommentare: I am super happy to be a user of this tool, as I mentioned it is life changes for me to learn this tool and make my job in a better shape and love to work in.

Vorteile: Control Identification, its super easy, and it has made my job easy.
I have self learned this took and got a better job what I was doing earlier, so its super easy to learn if someone really wanted to learn. I would highly recommend this to be used because it superb.
Happy to use this tool, we are using this from 4.x and now we are on 6.2 .

Nachteile: some IE elements are not identified individually, gives a challenge to re-think on RxPath, which is taken as a learning for us too, and the ranorex forum gives answers for our quarries to support.

• Bewertet am 12.11.2018
Erik D.
Testengineer
  • Bewertet am 8.11.2018

"Test automation made possible for complicated applications."

Kommentare: As a test automation specialist I needed to automate a piece of software that was written in 5 different programming language.
With the Ranorex Studio and Spy I was able to automate full system tests of the application.

Vorteile: You can use C# to script your tests.
This way you can make generic methods to be able to test something by using a model of the application.
Ranorex is powerful enough to be able to find almost anything on the screen using a mix of the RanoreXPath and finding an image on the screen.

Nachteile: In-depth information is hard to find.
The forum has a lot of information, but most questions that I have are not answered.
Also I needed to figure out a lot of things myself, since the information on the website is just explaining the happy flow about how it should work and finding a small detail that I want to configure is mentioned there somewhere.

Sanjay kumar R.
Team Manager
  • Bewertet am 9.11.2018

"Test automation toll Ranotex - Improve development time and reduce maintenance efforts. "

Kommentare: We have above 1000 automated tests...
1. Help in daily regression and early defect identification
2. Reduced manual efforts in formal test execution by 30% and we are planning to have 60 to 80% formal automated tests.
3. Ranorex tooling helped us to improved our test development time and reduced maintenance time.

Vorteile: Better object recognition, structured recording, Test parameterization, reusable modules and customize reporting, faster debugging and fixing test issue using Ranorex studio by disabling other modules functions of the same tests from UI -no need to run full test again and again for debugging.

Nachteile: asynchronous popup handler - some time mess up report.

TestAutomation
Krankenhausversorgung & Gesundheitswesen, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

"OneTool4All"

Kommentare: Excellent tool
every feature of this tool is valuable and i like the user poll for feature to be built. I like the forum as i get most of my answers from the public forum.

Vorteile: Broad coverage of technologies and ease of using this tool and integration with all new source control systems and broader api coverage for multiple platforms. This tool has replaced all existing UI tools in my organization because of its richness in features.

Nachteile: I wish this tool can provide or connect to cloud infrastructure to automatically run tests on schedule times as integration with different cloud platforms is a painful process for engineers to deal with

Filip V.
Software Engineer
Computer-Software, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 13.11.2018

"Solid framework for GUI testing"

Kommentare: In general I like working with Ranorex quite much, as it is in general easy to use and easy to integrate via the API into your own project. The support is excellent and updates are frequent enough, but not obnoxiously often. I strongly recommend it!

Vorteile: I like the fact that it offers a very good API, with which one can write his own software to use the Ranorex testing capabilities. The studio itself is very good too, though our needs are not entirely met (internal reasons), which is why the API came in very handy.

Nachteile: Sometimes it has troubles with certain browsers and recognizing them, even with the appropriate plugins (firefox), though all problems were solvable in the end.
The API documentation is hard to find and could be improved.

• Bewertet am 13.11.2018
Analyste assurance qualité principal
Versicherung, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

"Best automation tools"

Kommentare: I'm using Ranorex for several years and It's clearly the best automation tools available. I'm using Ranorex for Web page ,home applications and mobile application. Once the module are set, any user can build a test like we build a lego project.

Vorteile: Really good mapping systems to identity control.
Can be use for applications and Web control.
Don't need to be a professional programers to use the tools.

Nachteile: The record system is sometime limited. We need to manually code some validation.
The datasource binding is powerful but some adjustment may be needed.

Matthew C.
Manager Quality Assurance Automation
  • Bewertet am 8.11.2018

"Ranorex is easy to use, easy to learn, powerful IDE, and a great value."

Kommentare: We have several Ranorex solutions and share common libraries between them. This allows us to reuse modules and allows us to cover a lot of regression testing quickly.

Vorteile: The IDE makes it easy to write console apps, class files, methods, custom code, etc.

Nachteile: The WPF recognition technology was recently improved. But pre-existing objects in the repository that were captured using the older WPF technology cannot be converted. It would be a huge effort to create a new repository. Not having a conversion process is what I like least.

Ashok G.
Automation Test Lead
13-50 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 9.3.2018

"Scripting is fast. ROI is very good. Reporting is awesome "

Kommentare: Increase the efficiency of the team. ROI is very high

Vorteile: 1 Easy to use. Even a manual tester can understand it very easily
2 Scripting is fast and maintenance effort for scripting is minimal
3 With one tool you can automate Web, Desktop, Mobile Apps, API
4 Provide multiple type format
5 Customer support is awesome

Nachteile: It requires active desktop to execute the scripts. You cann't run the scripts in headless mode. When scripts are executing you cann't work on your system

• Bewertet am 9.3.2018
Kulwinder S.
Automation Lead
Immobilien, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

"Good Automation Tool"

Vorteile: Ranorex provide the vast variety of automation capabilities. By using one tool, we can automate Mobile, Web and Desktop.

Nachteile: It should have feature to build automatic framework for web applications. Moreover, Ranorex is still behind with BDD framework. Even, with the current version, it is not well defined the BDD statements. I would really recommend to fully built the BDD framework capability in Ranorex.

Boris P.
Software tester

"Ranorex for C#"

Vorteile: We are using RR for testing our program in C# WPF.
Software is really easy to use, intuitive UI and you can enhance testing writing C# code modules (similar to programming in VS).
Customer Support is really fast.

Nachteile: When project is big (when project has a lot of test cases - ca. 500++ test cases), program gets slower while editing.
At runtime, it runs at normal speed.
It is a good thing then to divide a project.
When using special components in C# program (such as DevExpress) then RR has some troubles but usually are solved by the help of support.