OpenTable for Restaurants

Bewertet am 13.9.2018
Robert T.
Sales & Marketing Manager
Gastgewerbe, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Excellent product with whom we hope to be happy for many many years to come...

Vorteile: As we have 2 restaurants in our company, we are always looking new ways to promote them and to have less empty seats for lunch or dinner. We have found about OpenTable online, and we contacted them several years back. At that time they were only U.S. based, but last year when they spreader their network in Europe, we were the first company in our country that signed the contract with OpenTable.
Their training staff was great, introducing the system and training our staff.
As were the first users, we believe that we gain enough advantage for the time being and the fact that we were the first helped us to increase the business in our restaurant - times four....

Nachteile: In this part we would say the fees, but the fees are ridiculously small, we counted that we are spending or giving 2,5-3% of our revenue to OT, which is really small when you count the fact that any mediator would ask for 10%...

Great Reservation and Seating System

Bewertet am 6.2.2020
Sarah J.
Corporate Operations Director
Restaurants, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: OpenTable provides a lot of functions that benefit us. From a seating system to online reservation system, it supports the flow of the restaurant. It provides features that allows us to keep up with guests requests, VIPs, referrals and even integrates with our email provider for marketing. It is a great overall tool.

Vorteile: It is very user friendly for guests and admins. It is easy to navigate and flows very well. Makes the experience better for everyone.

Nachteile: It works very well and there are not any current functions that we are looking for that is not provided.

Great Product, But Self-Loyal

Bewertet am 12.12.2019
Allison W.
Operations Manager
Gastgewerbe, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall OpenTable works for our large restaurant, but at some point we will be pursuing ways to keep or increase cover counts at less of an expense.

Vorteile: OpenTable has a relatively intuitive interface and is easy to pick up. Plus, using Open Table give you access to their huge pool of users - so more potential reservations.

Nachteile: I don't like that OpenTable is only loyal to OpenTable, and doesn't help our restaurant create brand loyalty. If an OT user has a good experience dining with us, OT wins double because they're paid by us for the reservation, and also promote using additional OT restaurants in the future.

Not worth it unless you are a major chain with 300 seats

Bewertet am 25.7.2018
Grayson T.
General Manager
Restaurants

Kommentare: Not enough to list. Exposure, but it's limited for smaller companies.

Vorteile: It allows you to assign tables in the restaurant as they come in and shoes a fairly good job of tracking several metrics like turn time, server cover counts, etc. It also has ways to advertise and draw in customers who may not know about you.

Nachteile: It's impossible to compete. With the difficulty in finding a restaurant as a customer it translates to moe exposure for larger chain restaurants with budgets to throw at open table. Also, it's pricey. The cost per guest that books is unreasonable and you still have to pay more to advertise. It's just not worth it in my opinion. That are cheaper methods available that focus on phone number advertising as opposed to email (because who opens email nowadays). There are text message options with open table but they are buried and not effective.

Love it!

Bewertet am 17.12.2019
Stefanie Y.
Hostess
Restaurants, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I loved that the product keeps growing and improving. I've been using it at this restaurant since I started, and it's already grown leaps and bounds.

Vorteile: It was very easy to train on using this software, and I am now able to easily show new hostess the program and how to use it daily. There are constantly updates and suggestions coming out for the software, it's wonderful.

Nachteile: If it could prompt some type of reminder if a time slot that you've been looking at, comes available. example: if Ms. Smith calls and wants Wednesday at 10:00, and I look and we have nothing - if I could be triggered with an alert if that date/time comes open at a later date with the ability to put in some notes on who was previously looking at that time.

Reservations Made Easy

Bewertet am 6.11.2019
Kalin H.
Student
Hochschulbildung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Overall I have loved my experience with OpenTable for Restaurants. As someone who does not like to spend time on the phone, this app streamlined the process of making reservations. It literally takes me seconds to reserve a spot at a table anywhere I want, as long as it is supported by the app.

Vorteile: This software makes reserving a seat at a restaurant very simple. The app gives you the ability to select a time slot and the number of seats you want to reserve and then does the rest of the work for you. This saves the user the pain of calling a restaurant, being put on hold, and spending unnecessary time on the phone. I'm sure it is also convenient on the restaurant side as well.

Nachteile: I would like to see additional restaurant locations added to the software here. I don't know if that would require some kind of agreement between the developers and the restaurants involved, but I would like to see some features that would enable reservations at any restaurant the user wanted to visit.

OpenTable is phenomenal

Bewertet am 31.10.2019
Alysha K.
Real Estate Consultant
Immobilien, Selbstständig

Kommentare: LOVE! This app is the best for making reservations and I would highly recommend to friends and co-workers.

Vorteile: I love the ease of OpenTable. I meet with customers for lunch or dinner and can open up my app and get reservations almost immediately. This is great for the holiday season or season when restaurants are busy. It's also great on the go. Sometimes calling a restaurant is not convenient and this app allows me to make reservations when I have the time.

Nachteile: Not all restaurants are on the app which is a bummer. The App is so easy to use and would be great if every restaurant would jump onto the app and join!

Personal Use for Restaurant Reservations

Bewertet am 5.12.2019
Brian H.
Emergency Management Specialist
Hochschulbildung, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: My overall experience with OpenTable has been a positive one. It's easy to use from a user standpoint, and works with multiple platforms and systems.

Vorteile: OpenTable is a great software program for restaurants to get reservations from clients. I've used this on a personal level many times, and find the system extremely easy to use. They don't ask for extra information, just what's needed by the restaurant. It seems compatible with many different reservation systems, as well as incorporating into mobile apps.

Nachteile: As a user I have not seen any cons with this software. I would be interested to see what the other side looks like as a customer.

Great App for making reservations

Bewertet am 31.12.2019
Kim L.
Paraprofessional
Bildungsmanagement, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: This app is great for making reservations in advance as well as those places that use it when they put your name on the waiting list to wait for a table. It's easy to follow and read. The search feature works well. Highly recommend it when making reservations in advance

Vorteile: This software is easy to use and it sends you text messages to keep you up to date and has a cool tracker that let's you see how close it is to your table being ready. Plus you can make reservations in advance for some places quick and simple.

Nachteile: There are alot of ads and sometimes the text messages come over twice and not all restaurants use the app

I love not having to call someone to make a reservation

Bewertet am 19.12.2019
Anastacia C.
Executive Assistant
Personalwesen, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: OpenTable makes it easy for me to book reservations and events for colleagues and myself in a quick and efficient manner.

Vorteile: This simplifies the reservation making process. I like that I can go online and see what times are available without having to call a restaurant, make them check, then tell them I'll call back once I confirm with my group. I can scan multiple options for dining and provide options for my colleagues without committing to anything or wasting anyone's time.

Nachteile: It is frustrating when I don't believe a restaurant has kept its reservations up to date, but other than that no complaints.

Love Open Table!

Bewertet am 5.8.2019
Kathryn B.
Director of Sales
Gastgewerbe, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: OpenTable is wonderful, not only do they have fast and professional customer service, they're also improving the software everyday. I love that we can train our hosts quickly and use the software to make it an enjoyable dining experience for our guests.

Vorteile: From a sales perspective, Open Table is fantastic at making sure we have plotted the proper rooms for private events. It is constantly making suggestions and making sure we're in the right time slots for turning tables. For our FOH manangers, it is very easy to train on which makes it less time consuming in the host training process. Guest center is also a great hub to check reviews, see your seating from an app on your phone and make any changes on the go. Love the pop up function and notes section to make sure our hosts have all the information they need. OTrestaurant.com is also wonderful to make sure we have all the right marketing tools turned on and become available to our guests. It is important that our guests have an ease of use to make a reservation and with the bonus points they receive from booking on open table it is just a plus for us to use the software.

Nachteile: Not a con, but we would love to see Open Table integrate with private dining software to make plotting private events faster.

von OpenTable an 6.8.2019

Hi Kathryn, thanks so much for taking the time to write a review!

A great tool for restaurant

Bewertet am 22.8.2019
Aron V.
Events Coordinator
Restaurants, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We have used them for years and would highly recommend them to small, non-corporate restaurants trying to be seen amongst so many local restaurants.

Vorteile: Easy for our guests to make reservations, tracks guests visits, you can enter guest notes and historical data to make their next visit more meaningful. They often have "Top Ten" lists for the categories that guests vote you in that you can use for marketing purposes. Reviews on Open Table are considered 'legit' as only real diners can write reviews.

Nachteile: If you have more money to spend, a program like SevenRooms has more guest tracking data capabilities for tagging and targeted emails/marketing. Can get expensive if your guests often use Open Table to make reservations.

von OpenTable an 5.9.2019

Hi Aron, thanks for taking the time to write a review! We really appreciate your recommendation. We are now able to offer very sophisticated CRM capabilities through Venga. You can learn more here: https://restaurant.opentable.com/products/venga

Very easy and great tool for booking ahead and making reservations.

Bewertet am 5.7.2018
Joshua S.
Equipment Engineer

Vorteile: What I like most about this software is its usefulness, coupled with its simplistic yet easy layout. The options for available times and selections are very easy to read, making it very user-friendly. I also liked the way the layout also seemed to cater to touchscreen devices with larger than average digital buttons for selections. This definitely contributes to use on the go when a reservation may be needed to be made last minute. The available time suggestions closest to my desired time and date option also save me time from having to search around and find an available date and time.

Nachteile: There is not much I dislike about this software, but one thing that I would appreciate is in regards to desired date storage. What I mean by this is, let us say I have a date and time in mind for a reservation, and that time slot is not available, I am unable to book that timeslot. However, I am never made aware if that time slot becomes available unless I keep checking on that timeslot. It would be ideal if this software could incorporate an email alert or equivalent if a previously unavailable timeslot becomes available (due to the party originally occupying the reservation say cancels their existing reservation or if more seating becomes available) such that I can book my desired timeslot. While I realize this is more a feature I would like to see in a future update as opposed to an issue with the present software, I feel that this is something that is lacking that could be easily incorporated as a very useful user option.

Opentable and Venga

Bewertet am 4.10.2019
Megan L.
Restaurant owner
Restaurants, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I’ve been using it in every restaurant I have worked in for 13+ years. The continued evolution of the product is much appreciated.

Vorteile: There is so many benifits- ease of use, platform for managing reservations prior to and in the moment, it aids in generating reservations, retaining guests and collecting data. Now that there is a venga connection I’m over the moon!

Nachteile: Honestly the cost per reservation is a little high for small owner operated restaurants but the added benefits are unmatched.

I predominantly use OpenTable for all my meal reservation-making.

Bewertet am 26.4.2018
Jenny M.
Brand Director
Internet, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Easy planning, less anxiety in wondering if a restaurant will have a wait, easy searching and filtering.

Vorteile: What I like the most about OpenTable is its ease of use. If I know what restaurant I want to book a reservation for and they have availability, I can basically get in and get out in less than 2 minutes. THAT'S efficiency. I also like that you can customize searches by specific neighborhoods, specific occasions or ambiances (romantic vs. casual, etc.) and obviously prices. Yelp isn't a main competitor but I hate that when you search for a bar or restaurant in a certain neighborhood on Yelp the results populate many, many bars or restaurants beyond that neighborhood to satisfy the search generation. I like that OpenTable functions more explicitly and narrowly than Yelp but it MAY include some very close neighborhoods in a search query. OpenTable's trend forecasting and "places we think you'd like" are on point, too. They do a good job of assimilating restaurants into categories not just by food type but ambiance type and cost. On OpenTable, very often I'll book a reservation and then come back to check something and see that there are recommended restaurants for me that I actually already have on my personal list. It's not just like, "You picked an Italian restaurant, so we're going to recommend another Italian restaurant!". It feels more personalized and catered to me because many other factors are seemingly taken into account besides just food type.

Nachteile: This isn't a dig at the software specifically but I feel like some high end or modern / niche restaurants decide to host reservations on Resy instead and that tends to deter me from using OpenTable from time to time. I haven't had any issue with the OpenTable software specifically.

Great to make online reservations

Bewertet am 13.2.2019
Senior Manager, Global Experiences

Kommentare: Overall OpenTable is a great tool to make online reservations; however, I do feel that they need to make some improvements especially regarding the reward program to make it more appealing.

Vorteile: I use OpenTable almost on a daily basis to make reservations for both business and personal lunches or dinners. It is very easy to use and you can book a table at a restaurant within minutes. I like that you can search restaurants by neighborhood but also by cuisine and price range. It is also very easy to cancel or modify a reservation. The app is also very convenient for any on the go need.

Nachteile: Their reward program is not appealing. The VIP status doesn't grant you anything. I wish they would design a program where VIP members get preferred seating, timing etc. Moreover, after you collect a certain amount of points, you get a voucher towards a future reservation; however I noticed that the selection of restaurants that accept the voucher is extremely limited. Additionally, not all restaurants are listed on OpenTable, which sometimes is not ideal

OpenTable is a great resource for keeping managing restaurant reservations

Bewertet am 19.10.2018
Ashley M.
Consultant
Restaurants, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: My in-laws own a restaurant and I often help them from a technology and operations perspective. They had trouble managing their reservations. They only open for dinner, and they would spend a lot of time every day listening to Voicemail reservations, trying to get parties back on the phone to confirm, and trying to manage cancellations vs. openings with an antiquated system. When I suggested OpenTable I did not realize all of the problems I would be solving for them. OpenTable brings reservation systems into the 21st century, and allows patrons an easy way to make, change, and cancel restaurant reservations with the click of a button. For the restaurant owner or manager, it saves all of the time you use to need for follow-up, and all of the administrative management needed to handle cancellations and book optimal service volume.

Nachteile: There is nothing that I do not like about OpenTable for business. It has brought a lot of value to our team, and has become a major asset that we rely on to book reservations. Patrons are as happy with OpenTable as we have been in the decision to start taking reservations through them.

Are use it all the time

Bewertet am 2.7.2018
Angela C.
Krankenhausversorgung & Gesundheitswesen, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Very convenient and a great timesaver

Vorteile: This is an unbelievably convenient and functional product. I use it to find restaurants easily and reliably when I travel. It's much more convenient than having to call the restaurant. I can make reservations any time of the day and go back-and-forth between restaurants to compare available times. Then, after I finish making my reservation, I could send the information to the other people in my party with just one click. Because of this product, I have tried many new restaurants and in many different areas that I wouldn't have otherwise tried. And, of course, the point system gets me a coupon every so often.

Nachteile: My biggest complaint is with the interface. I use it as an app on my phone mostly and sometimes I have trouble finding what I'm looking for. It works much better on the desktop.

Easy Way to Get More Reservations

Bewertet am 7.6.2019
Daniel C.
Managing Partner
Restaurants, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall its been positive and I would recommend the product. Its pretty painless and basically runs in the background for us. I wish it would do more, and address some of my cons - confirmation for customers, give a reason for cancellations, and have a better way of notifying us of reservations, emails get missed. But I cant really complain too much about a service that is this inexpensive and puts guests in seats

Vorteile: Easy to Use
Painless Monthly Billing
Inexpensive, Low Cost
Helpful Dashboard

Nachteile: Easy to miss notifications, tends to get lost in my emails etc.
Not sure how charges work for cancelled reservations, but I regularly have out of area numbers make reservations then cancel within minutes. Hopefully not padding their numbers.
Guests have complained about not receiving confirmation of their reservations from OpenTable
I wish there was some sort of reason response with the cancellations - even if its pre-formed answers selected from a box, something that doenst require a lot of effort on customers ends

Excellent program

Bewertet am 27.12.2017
Group Sales Manager

Vorteile: Exposure. But also many features to keep track of your bookings, who changed the bookings when, and history of return guests. Great customer service- you get right thru every time. Highly recommend.

Nachteile: I wish it would have the ability to get it on more computers without the extra cost. As a sales manager, if I could get it at home, I could work from home.

von OpenTable an 28.12.2017

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave this thoughtful feedback! Per your comments about not being able to use your software across multiple devices or on-the-go, our latest solution GuestCenter does offer these features! If you call 1-800-OPENTABLE you can get more information about upgrading to GuestCenter and accessing those capabilities. You can also learn more on our website here: https://restaurant.opentable.com/products/guestcenter
All the best!

OpenTable Kept Our Guests and Staff Happy

Bewertet am 23.7.2019
Lauren W.
Global Giving Database Manger
Non-Profit-Organisation Management, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall, OpenTable provided my restaurant with the ability to track guest who dined at our restaurant. It made the experience smoother for our FOH staff, especially our FOH manager and hostess.

Vorteile: The best thing about OpenTable is you're able to see who will be coming to your restaurant in advance. I don't necessarily mean each day (although that was great too!), but in the days prior. We were able to staff the restaurant accordingly by how many guests we were expecting. The interface was smooth and reliable on both our end and that of our guests.

Nachteile: There weren't many flaws with OpenTable. We had times when it wasn't updating in real time, but that may have been due to our internet capability.

A must have for any serious restaurant looking to grow their business

Bewertet am 28.10.2018
Charles K.
Director of Sales
Gastgewerbe, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I used OpenTable in a previous position and it was invaluable for driving new customers and for making the reservations experience more enjoyable for customers. With a little upfront time, it was well worth the effort and investment.

Vorteile: OpenTable's best features are its ease of use and widespread acceptance across the customer base. Are there better restaurant platforms out there? Maybe. But customers want OpenTable, so you would be missing a major opportunity by not using their software.

Nachteile: The only negative is with the amount of restaurants already on the platform, it can be difficult for your restaurant to stand out. If a customer is specifically seeking your restaurant, then it's not a problem. But if they are searching 'Italian restaurants in Palm Beach', are they really going to take the time to visit your listing on page 4? Probably not.

Convenient, easy to use but minimal rewards and missing restaurants

Bewertet am 26.9.2018
Lecturer, Researcher
Hochschulbildung, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I use OpenTable weekly to book restaurant reservations. I love that the app is easily accessible. I have had issues with needing to book two locations within a 2.5 hr timeframe... the software does not allow this, which is inconvenient, as some of us need to use two accounts to meet our needs.

Vorteile: Convenient, especially with the app on mobile devices. Love the different search options (name of restaurant, location, type of food). Like that there is a reward component.

Nachteile: Missing a tier system! I want to be rewarded to designated as "special" for all my points... not just claim a gift card that I will use and then never see again. There should be a designation that gives frequent restaurant attendees not just point to claim and then disappear, but also to get special seating or VIP treatment in some method. Also, some restaurants do not participate in Open Table... either very private ones or certain locations for chains... inconsistent. Perhaps if Open Table offered benefits beyond the same platform for reservations, more restaurants would participate.

Open Table: Easy to Use!

Bewertet am 31.5.2019
Academic Advisor
Bildungsmanagement, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I have realized that there are huge benefits to using this for lunches or dinners with co-workers or with candidates who are here for a meal during an interview process. This really saves time as far as working with admin assistants on scheduling, but most importantly all of the confirmations and follow up e-mails can be used as documentation for purchase-card reimbursements or for doing those entries at the end of the month. This is an ideal and fast platform to use, and really has a very basic and easy interface. The time of use is very quick, only a minute or two if that (and that is for the first time use!).

Vorteile: I appreciate that this app has a very high ease of use when you utilize your phone to make reservations. Even using the online app is very user-friendly! One thing that stands out about this product compared to others is that you can select different times for your restaurant reservations; you can actually make the reservation from this product instead of just getting on a wait list or "in line" like other products. I love the follow up e-mails that they send for updates and confirmations as well!

Nachteile: I do wish that the restaurant you are booking would send a confirmation as well, or even that they have seen your entry. I always call JUST to be safe; even though the app sends a confirmation e-mail I like being sure; having the restaurant even send a text to confirm would be useful.

Easy Way to Make a Reservation

Bewertet am 25.2.2019
Geri C.
Einzelhandel, Selbstständig

Kommentare: We have used OpenTable when booking restaurants mainly when traveling but also occasionally when dining locally. Most of the time we don't need a reservation locally which is why we don't use it more often. When using OpenTable we get a confirmation along with a reminder the day of the reservation.

Vorteile: Easy way to make a reservation and also earn points which can be redeemed towards dining. Many of the restaurants we have visited offer the option of reserving through OpenTable which is helpful. You can also let them know if you're celebrating a special occasion when booking your reservation.

Nachteile: The only thing I didn't like is that not all restaurants are available through OpenTable but I imagine that is the fault of the restaurants not signing up for the service. If the restaurant doesn't acknowledge that you showed up for your reservation you will be contacted by OpenTable to find out why. Luckily when this happened I had the receipt from the restaurant as well as photos taken there to verify we did show up.