SmartDeploy

Update the Drivers without Recreating the Image

Jay M.
Divisional Computer Support Analyst
Non-Profit-Organisation Management, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I am amazed by how easy to use SmartDeploy. You have multiple options on how you can image a machine... Offline (via USB), Cloud or Remote deployment. Keep making us happy!!!

Vorteile: I love the idea that the Drivers are separated from the image itself. I can use the image to different brands and model computers (except Mac) and just either download the driver pack (ppk) from SmartDeploy or create your own.
I started using their Cloud Deployment, and it is amazing. A user can download the 600Mb payload to a flash drive, boot to USB and voila... SmartDeploy will pull everything it needs from your Cloud Service (OneDrive for me). They have forums and videos that are very helpful.

Nachteile: I haven't seen anything I don't like about the product. No annoyance or instances that will scratch my head.

Deployment made easy

Deborah K.
Network Administrator
Staatsverwaltung, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We came from a Symantec Ghost and then Clonezilla environment and everything was utterly hands-on and inconsistent and required the usage of an external hard drive that was always full and CDs. SmartDeploy brought us into the 21st century by making the deployments network-capable and able to be run from a dedicated workstation (could also use a VM but I am the only one really working with it for now). We are not using it to its fullest extent but have hopes of doing so as we grow with it. It's a great product for us

Vorteile: Our deployment system is consistent now
Customer service is responsive when there are issues

Nachteile: We are a static IP shop and SmartDeploy is ideal for DHCP so we are not as able to use the unattended features but we have 350 PCs across our entire environment so it's not a deal-breaker at all
Customer Service is in Portland and we're in Chicago - 2 hour delay if I have issues in the AM

Great Imaging Solution!

Bewertet am 4.2.2020
John M.
technical support
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We are moving away from using Ghost in our school system, and Smart Deploy has helped us simplify this process.

Vorteile: This product has simplified our imaging process by allowing us to move away from Ghost.

Nachteile: Keeping track of licensing is a little difficult at this point, however the team is listening and responded promptly to my concerns and is working on ways to simplify.

SmartDeploy Review

Bewertet am 29.10.2019
Benjamin D.
Network Administrator
Bildungsmanagement, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: SmartDeploy has made OS deployment a breeze and has freed up so much of my time that I can now apply to other projects.

Vorteile: What I like most about SmartDeploy is the ease of use. Most everything is driven by an easy to understand wizard that also allows you to add addition tasks. You don't have to do major internet research to get an understanding of how it works or doesn't work. The provided documentation gives you all you need to get started quickly.

Nachteile: What I like the least about SmartDeploy is that it can't fully replace everything I do with Symantec Altiris and that it is not completely cloud-based like Microsoft Azure. However, it perfectly replaced Microsoft Deployment Toolkit which was being used as our primary OS deployment tool. It also has the ability to deploy software and deploy an image over the internet.

Good product, poor service

Bewertet am 27.12.2019
Mike P.
IT Director
Bildungsmanagement, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: sub par!

Vorteile: I like the cloud integration. The problem is that they don't really tell you how to finalize the cloud integration.

Nachteile: I dislike the lack of documentation. Then when you try to get customer support, it takes forever to get an issue resolved. It feels like you have to explain the issue in multiple emails before you get a response that actually help.

My favorite imaging platform!

John P.
IT Support Manager
Einzel- & Familiendienstleistungen, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: This is the second company I have introduced this product to and my technicians love the ease of maintaining, creating, and deploying images. Hands down better than all the other options out there.

Vorteile: This package is flexible. It is easy to deploy from Cloud storage, network, and USB drive. The platform packs save me the time of finding and preparing drivers for each model. Price is reasonable, too!

Nachteile: When updating the platform packs, any task customization has to be reinserted since it overwrites the entire package.

Constantly getting better!

Samuel L.
IT Director
Anwaltskanzlei, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall - Excellent. Support has always been great and I'm very satisfied with the product. Highly recommend!

Vorteile: SD is always improving on their product. It's easy to use and the user interface is simple. The time it takes to image a machine is minimal. Even though we tell our users that it takes longer to image a machine - because then they'll just start getting demanding if it takes longer than 3 hours.

Nachteile: I don't utilize it to it's full potential. That's more a con about me than the software. It may do this now, but creating a golden image from a live machine would be awesome. Or just being able to do an image of a live machine and then snaps. So if something happened to that computer, I could just reimage it with that backup image/snaps.

Great product for smaller companies/tighter budgets

Bewertet am 17.10.2019
Dave L.
Systems Engineer
Krankenhausversorgung & Gesundheitswesen, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: SmartDeploy is super easy to setup, the pricing model makes sense and doesn't gouge you. The functions and features aren't hard to learn and I was able to implement Windows 10 to our desktops and laptops easily without too much frustration (typically user error). Overall it's a great product, especially when you have a small IT team/company and budget, but it will also scale very well with us.

Nachteile: The application packs are still a bit flimsy, meaning I could have two .exe's with the same arguments that work great in CMD prompt, but in the application pack I have to tweak the executable location or argument within SmartDeploy. After doing a handful of them, I know what to look for now but it was a little bit of a learning curve.

ease deployment by inverting image creation

Bewertet am 2.7.2019
Roy O.
Techinican

Kommentare: we sell laptops to our customers, delivering software of their needs, smartdeploy helps us ease this, by premanufacturing images, and simplifying the process of preparing a computer for delivery

Vorteile: Smartdeploy is a deployment program easing deployment and integration process, by inverting the process, beginning in the image end, where you set up the golden image in a virtual environment, pack it up, download platform packs(driver packs)
and if you want, specific application packs you make yourself or premade

Nachteile: its nothing to not like about it :) it solves most problems hassle free

Great time-saver

Bewertet am 6.8.2019
IT Technician
Medizinische Praxis, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Support has been really responsive and the how-tos surprisingly helpful. Although not 100% intuitive, the interface is easy.

Vorteile: SmartDeploy is a great time-saver for us as we deploy many new machines company-wide. While its pre-installation environment is helpful, it can also be associated with WDS to make for even quicker computer imaging. Images can be captured in multiple ways and this flexibility is what makes the program appealing.

Nachteile: Setup can take a bit, but it's smooth sailing from there.

Good Product (Performs Better than Others)

Bewertet am 8.7.2019
Kerry-ann J.
Systems Engineer
Internet, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall, it is a good value. The ability to connect it to the WiFi network without having to manual do it makes it worth it. Additionally, not having to worry about getting drivers as they have the most popular drivers within the library makes it better than other solutions on the market.

Vorteile: The product is easy to use and the ability to automatically connect to a WiFi network on deployment is a great feature

Nachteile: Sometimes devices do not get joined to the network for whatever reason. Also, you cannot have computers named in sequence upon deployment, instead they are automatically given random numbers. Unlike Acronis, which I could input computer names to be Laptop-Department{15} and it would named the computers Laptop-Department15, Laptop-Department16, Laptop-Department17, etc. SmartDeploy randomizes the number sequence. So, when you input the naming convention as Laptop-DepartmentXX, it names the device Laptop-Department84, Laptop-Department25, Laptop-Department40, etc. There is no sequence or logic to the number section. Additionally, you still have to do some prep work by making some changes in the Bios on newer machines in order to get the software to image to it. Also, when you select to log into an account after imaging, it seems that it creates a local account for the profile instead of using the domain account and then it does not join to the domain.

No Hassle Imaging

Chris H.
IT Supervisor
Strafverfolgung, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: SmartDeploy as a company is very focused on this one thing, and as a result they are not getting sidetracked and overwhelmed. If there is any issue (which occasionally happens due to their striving to enhance the product), they quickly resolve the issue. Their tech support, has always been outstanding and very notably, they provided some highly-customized support to tackle a very unusual make/model we needed a special image for. I would choose SmartDeploy again in a heartbeat.

Vorteile: With budget cuts, we've had to stop doing massive system refreshes and are now purchasing smaller amounts of systems as funds become available. We are a Dell house, but due to the new purchasing strategy we are getting a more diverse set of Dell models. Fortunately, for us, SmartDeploy has allowed us to tackle that diversity by use a single common image for about 12 different models (which include desktops/laptops and tablets). We only have 1 image to maintain, instead of 12, and if we get a 13th model, then we simply download the PPK (package of specific drivers) from SmartDeploy, add that to our image package and off we go. That is what we like most about this product, but there are a plethora of other items that has made SmartDeploy a huge success. We chose SmartDeploy about 4 years ago, after researching and comparing it in live tests with Symantec and Acronis. We had it up and running in production in about a day. Thanks to a very logical image creation and deployment process, we created a VM using VM Workstation, downloaded the necessary PPK's (driver packages) for the specific machines we had a need to image, and then created a USB stick which contained all necessary image components. Within 30 minutes, we had imaged 3 different models and realized our imaging problems from before were over. What a beautiful thing.

Nachteile: Would like to be able to snap an image of an existing system and save for re-deployment. To my knowledge, that option has not been made available....yet.

Build a Virtual Machine then deploy to any hardware

Bewertet am 30.1.2019
Mark P.
Applications Engineer

Kommentare: Our company delivers software training and needs to deploy a single image to hundreds of machines multiple times a year. We primarily use offline USB deployment for this and it has worked extremely well over the past two years with very little issues or maintenance needed. We have a few dozen disparate sites and each site is maintained by a non-technical employee. They plug the USB drive into a computer and leave it alone for an hour. When they come back its fully deployed - like magic! This method offsets the installation of several software packages that would normally take several days. When deployment issues are experienced we ask the user to capture the logs and send them into SmartDeploy Support. They are incredibly responsive and helpful.

Vorteile: Being able to generate a single VM image and distribute it to hundreds of different computers (manufacturers and models) is revolutionary. Other software I've used requires you to have an image created on each type of physical hardware. This means you have to manage multiple images and have a spare of each type of computer just to maintain the system.

Nachteile: There are several deployment methods (USB drives, local network, cloud-based) that all work really well. When using the USB drive method, there isn't an easy way to update the boot software (e.g. WinPE) on the device or distribute new USB media. Shipping the USB drives works but is slow and expensive. Having the coworker at the remote office create a new USB drive is difficult because you have to walk them through installing the enterprise software which I don't necessarily want them to have access to. However, this is not undermining the huge benefits we see from using SmartDeploy.

Absolute time saver

Andrew D.
Hardware Specialist
Krankenhausversorgung & Gesundheitswesen, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Time saving, we are a Medical Center that is continually growing by purchasing smaller clinics and offices around us. Each time we acquire a new location I have to go in and replace all of their workstations to bring them up to date. I can image 10-40 workstations in no time and ensure each system is configure exactly the same. Time = Money.

Vorteile: I inherited this process from a previous employee who had left the company. Within just a short amount of time, having never used SmartDeploy before, I was able to update our VM and create a new image. It is awesome to be able to take a brand new computer out of the box, boot from a USB thumb drive and have our standard image installed automatically. Once our image is installed the PC is end user ready with all of the software they need to do their job. I can not imagine rolling out new computers without SmartDeploy.

Nachteile: Honestly, everything about SmartDeploy works for me as I need it to.

Mass Deployment Made Easy

Bewertet am 31.1.2019
Ben L.
Computer Technician
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: It has been a great experience for us and users working with this software. It has made troubleshooting, upgrading and deploying machines a breeze. I am in a business with 800+ machines and having the difference images for departments helps a ton. PXE and having a WDS boot image from SmartDeploy helps us and other areas of IT image on the fly whenever they need without using the console to push out.

Vorteile: - Easy setup
- Works with virtual machines so you don't need to keep hardware around just for images
- Can be used PXE with WDS
- Differencing images to save space based on a main image
- Can create disk or USB boot drives
- Push images from the console remotely for clients.
- constantly implementing updates and features for console
- Great support

Nachteile: - License management for companies could use work (this is in the works for change)

SmartDeploy on College Campus

Bewertet am 30.1.2019
Jeffrey B.
Technical Support Analyst
Hochschulbildung, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: SmartDeploy has been a very appreciated resource in my department. As I'm the only one that creates/manages the images for all of the college-owned machines, it has made that part of my job much easier and more streamlined. Although I have had minor issues with the software in the year that I've been using it, the issues have been severely outweighed by the benefits it has provided. I haven't gotten the chance to work with the networking team on setting up the connectivity necessary for using some of remote management features, but I do look forward to taking advantage of those. Overall it's been a solid experience with my only real gripe being a lack of true documentation. I know there are articles but I've found a good portion of them lacking in the information that I needed. The good; however, is that technical support has been timely in getting around to my questions and answering them for me.

Vorteile: Ease of capturing VMs and deploying images
Platform packs
user interface
image management and connectivity to the images after deployment

Nachteile: lack of documentation regarding differencing images
lack of documentation/training for folks newer to image creation/SmartDeploy software
Have had issues installing the SmartDeploy application on secondary machines in the past

Best imaging software out there.

Jim R.
Systems Enginner II/ Desktop Image Manager

Kommentare: My experience with SmartDeploy has been great.
If I have an issue which is rare and it's always ends up being my fault because I did something wrong or stupid ( hahaha) they have ALWAYS fixed any issue I have had very quickly.
I have never worked with better support on a product!!
I am always praising the support when I am trying to get our clients to buy the product or if I am demonstrating the software.

Vorteile: The ease of imaging computers makes my job so much easier, no hunting around for different drivers for each different manufacture we have.
One image for all of our computers makes it simple, fast and reliable.
I have some of our clients using it now due to me bragging about it constantly.

Nachteile: I have no cons that I can think of. That is rare with most software.

Ghost is a thing of the past....Smart Deploy is the future of imaging!!!

Bewertet am 17.1.2019
Zack T.
Supervisor, Desktop Support
Telekommunikation, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We have, literally, only been using Smart Deploy between 30-45 days (new to it all), but it has DRASTICALLY changed how fast we can pump out deployments of PC's. We had SO MANY issues with Ghost and their support was HORRIBLE!!! So far we have only had one ticket with Smart Deploy and they responded in a VERY timely manner and had an answer for us.

Vorteile: Complete ease of setup and ease of use. We love the fact that is now only takes us 6-7 minutes to image a PC for our company. The "no touch" and "click and go" functionality of the Smart Deploy imaging process is superb! Setting up and using a "reference" image to use on multiple platforms of hardware is a stellar part of the processes. I could go on and on and on.........JUST BUY THIS (and then shutdown your Ghost server!)!!!! It's the best thing you can have for an imaging solution for your IT department.

Nachteile: My team and I would like to see this software be able to keep data and programs in tact when we use it for upgrading purposes. We have a massive Windows 10 upgrade project that we need to accomplish before EoL of Windows 7 and this feature would save us time from having to run "manual" upgrades. I am sure I could come up with more idea's for this software, but I am pretty positive that Smart Deploy is already working on upgrades to this software.

Good Platform

David M.
Helpdesk Manager

Kommentare: We are a MSP and deploy new PCs on a regular business. We tried several imaging methods and decided to go with Smart Deploy for its low cost and ease of use. We have greatly standardized our setups and in some instances, saved 6-8 hours of installing software.

Vorteile: Easy to use.
Greatly reduces new PC Setup times, sometimes by several hours.
Drives are included so we don't have to try and hunt them down.
Custom driver packs are easy to create for one off custom built PCs

Nachteile: Extra steps to activate Windows after the image (We don't have Enterprise licensing)
Requires LAN connection (I have heard Wireless is coming though)

Product work great

Bryan B.
IT Admin
Luft- & Raumfahrt, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We have been a Smart Deploy customer for the last 5+ years and it definitely streamlined our ability build up systems, but also respond to system failures in a very timely matter. Very happy with the overall product.

Vorteile: The ability to create and deploy images across multiple platforms using driver packs instead of images with specific hardware is awesome. I used to have to keep images for each of our hardware builds. Now I just keep track of a few driver packs and all images become universal for all of our different systems.

Nachteile: Creation of platform packs for Individual mother board builds was not as easy as I had hoped, but found that default platform packs from my main vendor builds, were intelligent enough to let me load these images on motherboard builds as well. Worked out in the end.

Deployments made simple

Jeremy S.
Systems Administrator
Non-Profit-Organisation Management, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I use SmartDeploy daily. This software allows me to customize my install packages for each type of PC I am deploying to an end user. The Driver package integration is excellent. Very well done.

Vorteile: Customer Service is super helpful. The software itself is excellently integrated to allow you to install and deploy as you would like to any PC you would like.

Nachteile: Not really about the software, but, that I had not found this software sooner.

SmartDeploy Evaluation

Bewertet am 12.8.2019
Jerome P.
Helpdesk Manager
Gesundheit, Wellness & Fitness, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall this tool has helped our Helpdesk immensely. Less time is spent on image-building and upkeep with this product.

Vorteile: Ease of use, Most Drivers updated automatically and the Imaging feature is very user-friendly. No need for additional software is a plus!

Nachteile: Would like to see more Built-in Reports.

Great imaging software, it will make you forget about all of the others!

Bewertet am 23.1.2019
Derrick H.
IT Systems Analyst
Halbleiter, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I've been using SmartDeploy a little over two years now and continue to be amazed at the new functionality that continues to be released on a regular basis. They took the amount of time it used to take to complete a build of a new computer down drastically and we quickly had an ROI.

Vorteile: This software was very easy to use and learn. The software walks you through everything to setting up a reference virtual machine to capturing that reference machine. The support documentation is great and if needed, you can always reach out to their amazing support team.

Nachteile: No cons to add here, Smart Deploy continues to expand its capabilities and is always adding additional functionality. Most recently, cloud deployment options.

Excellent Tool for Imaging

Nagaraj B.
Windows Desktop Engineer
Versicherung, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Time spent of managing driver packs, images are considerably reduced after using SmartDeploy.

Vorteile: Driver Management, WDS Integration for PXE booting. Offline Media Creation.
Very simple and effective tool. I come from SCCM 2012 background and it literally took me just couple of hours to learn this tool. Applying the driver packages/WMI queries are all automated. Boot Image creation is simple and the NIC drivers are automatically added during the boot image creation.

Nachteile: Need to have a better license management by selected users from the organization rather than contacting SmartDeploy each time to manage the licenses.

Easy and to the Point

Bewertet am 19.2.2019
Alex V.
System Administrator
Bau, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Before SD, we had to manually install the PCs were were deploying from scratch every time. This takes a lot of time and effort. SD makes this simpler and faster. For an inexpensive solution it was fast to implement and learn how to use it. Since we have many departments with different software requirements, it was easy and fast to build all the VMs and bring them into SD.

Vorteile: It took only am hour or so to learn how to use the software. Within a day of playing around you can easily become an expert. Smart deploy is constantly getting better and better they are always adding new features to help bridge the gap between it and SCCM. As far as imaging goes it has the same features as SCCM. However it lacks the system management aspect that SCCM offers. But for not having to learn anything, and a simple install process no servers to deal with this is much better

Nachteile: I used to work in a SCCM environment and those images were 100% complete. The PCs would join the domain via WIFI. Smart deploy has trouble with WIFI domain join, but works great if the PC is plugged into an Ethernet connection. Via SCCM the network admin was able to get all software and customization to happen over the SCCM image. With smart deploy some software cant be part of the image such as most anti-virus software, it has to be a post image task.