open-source image editing platform

Bewertet am 26.4.2019
Nimanthi R.
Graphic Designing
Computer- & Netzwerksicherheit, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Generally, GIMP is an excellent alternative open-source editing platform for professionals. It's free availability on all operating systems enable users to work seamlessly.

Vorteile: I have been using GIMP for a few years now. Earlier on, my experience with this software was not quite right. Now that I am more advanced in graphics and photo edits, I have come to appreciate this open open-source image editing platform. Believe me, when I say this software is excellent, it is because the results are impeccable. GIMP has it all! Its excellent array of features are so good that they can rival adobe photoshop capabilities. These features allow you to tune photos, images and create an artwork of your own. As a graphic designer, you will be able to seamlessly crop images, make colour adjustments, customises brushes and adjust gradients among others editing. Here are some of the advantages of using Gimp over other image editing software. 1.It has incredible, and quality features making it the best among open -source programs 2.Single-window mode operation which is great for single pc operation. 3.GIMP is 100% free. 4.It supports plenty of image formats such as GIF and PDF. Additionally, GIMP is customizable such that you can add and remove menus or icons on the fly. 5.It is easily extensible to ease image manipulation with the third party. 6.Last but not least, GIMP works efficiently on all major operating systems. Whether you choose Linux or windows, results are always impeccable.

Nachteile: the script-fu is not user-friendly. GIMP lacks intuition on new users and can make their experience pretty cumbersome. Some filters and effects don't explain or guide how the image should be modified. It would be awesome if it would support PSD photoshop images. It does not open some files such a JPEG.

GIMP is No Wimp! A Solid Choice for Graphics Work; Robust Toolset Rivals Commercial Counterparts

Bewertet am 12.8.2018
Vernessa T.
Freelance Writer
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Overall, GIMP is a fine open source replacement for PhotoShop and some of the other expensive creative suites. For a layperson who occasionally designs a banner or image for their website, GIMP is probably overkill and downright daunting. But for a graphics design artist or someone who likes to dabble, the toolset is robust, with elements to rival its commercial counterparts. I don't mind dabbling and doing my own simple graphics. As an open source proponent, I like using tools that give you the freedom to do with them as you please. For example, I use GIMP on both Windows and Linux platforms. GIMP has been a staple in my toolchest for many years. Its a solid choice for heavier graphics work; I use it alongside simpler tools (like screenshot utilities) and in conjunction with snazzier tools like Canva.

Vorteile: powerful punch: The GNU Image Manipulation Program.) GIMP is software you install on your computer. To my knowledge there is no SaaS (online software-as-a-service) counterpart. As a regular Linux user one huge benefit for me is that GIMP was initially created for the Linux environment. But unlike many Linux programs, GIMP has a true Windows version that is not poorly ported over. It's as elegant on Windows as it is on Linux. There are no penalties for installing GIMP on each and every computer you own and I've never encountered problems when mixing and matching the files from different flavors (i.e., Windows or Linux). It's rock steady; I don't remember a time when GIMP actually crashed. And if you are ready to exit, GIMP always reminds you to save any unsaved changes to your designs. GIMP has a simple uncluttered interface. "Simple interface" is relative; many menu items have dockable windows (like its commercial counterparts) so managing the various docking windows is what will keep it simple and uncluttered. One of the first things I ever used GIMP for was to import and edit some graphics saved in PhotoShop. I'm not a designer so I don't understand what half the tools do; I use only a few of the many features on a regular basis. Primarily I use it for quick web graphics, banners and graphics for blog articles, converting images to different formats, and sometimes to take screenshots (but others screenshot tools are quicker and more intuitive).

Nachteile: It would be nice to have a few "modes" that hide or reveal tools based on your anticipated usage. For example, a "novice" interface mode would be nice. The help system is decent but is a bit cryptic and designed for the designer (not a layperson). I would love to see better intuitive context-sensitive help. For example, hovering over a tool would give a much more understandable explanation. The screenshot tool could be more accessible (when not working in GIMP).

GIMP is great, if you know what your doing.

Bewertet am 28.11.2019
Keith V.
Technology Specialist
Philanthropie, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Fantastic but it's a complicated software for the uninitiated.

Vorteile: This is a very robust and useful image editing software akin to Adobe's Photoshop suite. It's quite useful and features a ton of the same or similar tools you'll find in the aforementioned suite, with one exception. GIMP IS COMPLETELY FREE TO USE! It's fantastic and nearly as good as Photoshop in every way. In fact, you can find many Photoshop tutorials online and the same exact steps will apply to GIMP to get the same end result for any effects your trying to create!

Nachteile: Photoshop isn't the easiest software to teach yourself, you have to be extremely tech savvy to accomplish such a feat. The same applies to GIMP. If you don't already know how to use Photoshop going into GIMP, you better read up on how to use the software or get some one and one training (or even take a college class or something). If you don't, you'll be lost in trying to use the software to edit images. There's always YouTube tutorials these days.

Take the time to learn, and GIMP is rewarding

Bewertet am 13.10.2019
Research Associate
Forschung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: For me, GIMP was a replacement for Photoshop. That being said, I've been totally impressed by the way GIMP has grown over the years. In its current iteration, GIMP can accomplish any image editing task I've thrown at it -- often, this required me to spend time learning how to best accomplish that task in GIMP, but that time has always been rewarded with high quality outputs. Still, I have probably spent as much time fumbling around in confusing with GIMP as I have actually working.

Vorteile: Unlike a number of other free image manipulation programs, GIMP is both extremely powerful and (relatively) simple to use. Users of Photoshop will not find it to be the most difficult transition. GIMP has just about every feature an average or casual user could want from an image editor. GIMP works well not just for editing photos, but also for digital drawing and graphic design. In most regards for most users, GIMP can do whatever Photoshop or other commercial programs can. That being said, the functionality of GIMP should not be perceived as Photoshop lite. GIMP offers more tools, brushes, presets, etc than an average will ever need, and that's before installing any extensions. My current work requires minimal graphic design work -- largely infographics and visual representations of data -- and GIMP has every tool I could possibly need to produce data visuals / improve those produced by other software.

Nachteile: While GIMP has become more user friendly over the years, there are two points new users may find intimidating. First GIMP -- as the full name suggests -- is part of the GNU/Linux lineage and ethos. Users unfamiliar with all this will probably be confused, especially as it relates to saving proprietary formats. Beyond that, amateur image editors will probably find themselves overwhelmed by all of the tools offered by GIMP. Some of these basic tools work in unexpected ways based on prior knowledge of other software -- on its face this isn't problematic, but the different way of operating sometimes isn't logical. New users will likely find themselves bewildered by the breadth of menu options, and the sub-options that go with them. I am certain of this, being that I've been using GIMP for years and I still occasionally find myself confused.

best alternative to photoshop

Bewertet am 14.3.2019
designer
Design, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I have cherished Gimp and been utilizing it for well more than 4 years currently, dependably had the capacity to achieve what I've endeavored to do. Much obliged to you Gimp group for making my life simpler, you folks are astounding!

Vorteile: The positive viewpoint that emerges from Gimp is that it is an extremely light software that does not possess much space in the memory of our group. Likewise, it is free and has a place with the group of free software. It offers extremely great work instruments that permit to grow professional designs. It is valuable and in the meantime fun.

Nachteile: GIMP may have a few confinements contrasted with Photoshop. In any case, I trust that this program offers the privilege for nothing. I might want it to improve a little the determination by shading since once in a while it isn't so exact.

The Buzz Around GIMP

Bewertet am 25.9.2019
Ishanka M.
Chinese Project Specialist

Kommentare: Whether you're just dipping your toes into the editing world, or an advanced designer, GIMP will provide you with the tools you need to succeed. For software that is totally free to use, it knocks the competition out of the park. Regardless of why you might need design software, GIMP will always have your back.

Vorteile: If you're into graphic design, then you'll definitely want to hear all about the free design software GIMP. GIMP is a graphic design platform that allows users to customize photos, create art from scratch, and utilize photoshop tools in a professional way. Plus, if you're a big supporter of cross-platform software, GIMP will be sure to get the job done for you. So let's dive in, and take a look at what GIMP is all about. GIMP is a great software if you're into photo editing. If you need a template to work with, GIMP will be sure to provide you with the perfect baseline for your image. Plus, if you want to start from scratch, GIMP can handle that for you as well. While most people think that advanced editing software may be hard to use, GIMP provides you with a very simple solution to this problem. If you're new to this type of software, GIMP has plenty of ways to show you exactly how to use their software. If this is not enough to peak your interest, GIMP will also allow you to utilize their own premade designs as a source to build off of. Some great starter tools you'll find on GIMP are: - Photoshop capabilities
- Templates
- Cropping tools
- Cross platform compatibility
- Gradient enhancers
- Color enhancement with depth
- Automatic enhancement tools
- Brush options

Nachteile: While GIMP is more than proficient in most areas, there are downsides that you should understand before using this software. GIMP may be free to use, but it lacks a certain depth that other common design software can provide you with. All this means is that you might get better pixel editing software with Photoshop, and Photoshop is more of an industry-standard as well. So if you're looking for super-advanced editing, you might find yourself struggling a bit in some areas. While GIMP may not have it all, what more do you need in free design software that provides plenty of great features?

GIMP 2.10 Discovered!

Bewertet am 21.10.2019
Linda S.
Artist, Saleslady, and Author
Onlinemedien, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I am able to do basic digital photo editing with GIMP, plus some enhancements to make it artistic. I am definitely willing to explore it some more. I had to get the Version 2.10 to download, install, and open plus work properly! Before, I had GIMP 2.8, which took FOREVER to start up.

Vorteile: I like that it’s free, and that it’s easy to use IF you have Adobe PhotoShop experience. I haven’t used GIMP in a long while, and I Googled the latest version.

Nachteile: I had to work to resize the Toolbox panel so that it didn’t completely cover the image I was working on. I had to kinda futz around and thus refresh my long
-term memory of how to work with GUI, or sliders, picture buttons, and those drop-down menus.

A comperable but effective alternative to photoshop

Bewertet am 29.11.2019
Christophere L.
Kunst & Handwerk, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: My experience was veryhelpful and convenient there was a time when I was doing a lot of graphics for bands and more specifically albumn design and band pictures and during this time there was a small period of time I could not afford photoshop and gimp got me through that. I was able to still clean up and create very clean professional looking images that in the end my clients were also happy. Thank you gimp you have very clean and sound operating software

Vorteile: This software is powerful but compact. It is fair to say there is few things this cant dobl that photoshop can. If you are a beginner this is fairly easy to learn whether you are trying to clean up photos or trying to input yourself into a picture of you and our founding fathers signing the declaration of independence. It still a layer based photo editing software. The layout is also very similar to photoshop. The operations within the software are also very similar to photoshop I believe the ultimate goal was to give its users a powerful software that was cost effective but capable of anything any other editing software can do.

Nachteile: I really have nothing bad to say If I had ti say something I would have to say there options for conntact options for customer service could be better but other then that it's a very sound and smooth running software

Excellent for editing and graphic design

Bewertet am 10.1.2020
Hannah S.
Principal CEO
Grafikdesign, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Since I use GIMP I have had very good results, I use it for graphic design and editing of photos and images and it is excellent to have these free tools. The work team has other options but GIMP has been an easy option to use and more and more people are using it, it really offers ease of use and efficiency with respect to other similar programs where you have to spend more time working on the graphic design.

Vorteile: GIMP is very easy to use and has features and functions similar to more recognized software so people will not find major changes, GIMP is free and highly recommended to use so it has points in its favor, use it as a graphic design tool and Photo editing and the results are satisfactory, but it has more advanced functions that can be used at all times depending on the functions and work you have to do.

Nachteile: GIMP is very easy to use and the tools and functions it offers are good and it has full compatibility so it is not a problem for me, however the updates are few and not constant but it is understandable since it seems to be a small company with Little budget, but I am happy with the results obtained when I use this software so I have no complaints about GIMP, I just have to thank for this free way of working.

Excellent image editor

Bewertet am 21.9.2019
Maryann A.
Freelancer and online retailer
Bekleidung & Mode, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: GIMP has an active community of contributors. I have learnt a lot from this awesome community through tutorials.

Vorteile: GIMP is a great image or photoshop editor with lots of available customizations tools at your finger tips. I love the fact that this software has almost if not all the features of most paid image editors for free.
It has professional and quality features and functions. I love the fact that I can create my images and designs from scratch. It also supports lots of plugins. It has features like brushes, filters, crop , animations, and lots if enhancing tools.

Nachteile: I love this software and don't have any dislikes.

Top quality free Adobe Photoshop substitute

Bewertet am 30.10.2019
John W.
Co-owner, Operator
Einzelhandel, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: It's fairly easy to use if you've used and are familiar with Photoshop and the like. We use it for all of our image and graphic manipulation. It's fast, easy and free. For our needs I could never justify paying several hundreds of dollars for Photoshop (industry leader or not).

Vorteile: Gimp can do almost everything that Photoshop can do for free. I'm not much of a power user but it's amazing what it can do. I often look for features to use just because I can and because the visual effects can be so interesting. It has really evolved over the years with features and improvements in ease of use. With the last update to v2 it runs much faster on Windows 10 and is more efficient with computer resources than it ever used to be.

Nachteile: Being an open source application means that bug fixes and updates come slower than they would from a for-profit company (like Adobe). But since it's free, who really cares? For a small business like ours it's perfect and it does everything we need to (and more).

The image editing software that almost everyone should be using (instead of Photoshop)

Bewertet am 22.8.2019
Carlos C.
Lecturer
Forschung, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Whereas some people consider GIMP as a toy software, or a cheap (free) Photoshop replacement, it is not. Instead, GIMP has proven to be a capable, professional software that does not want to be a mere Photoshop clone. On the contrary, they do have their own roadmap, own shortcuts and
their own user interface, and even some successful plugins and features of its own (such as resynthesizer) have been later integrated in Photoshop. Whereas some consider it as being difficult to learn or not user-friendly, it is in fact a proof that it follows its own path to success.
While I admit that from time to time I do miss some of Photoshop features, like non-destructive operations or basic vector operations, I am confident that GIMP fits in the great majority user cases without compromising final results.

Vorteile: I have been using GIMP for many years for my image editing projects (both, pet projects and professional projects) and I have come to realize that it features such an enormous variety of toolboxes, filters, options... that allow any type of image editing, even really complex ones, with impeccable results. Consequently, there is no need to switch to other software like Photoshop or the like. Not to mention that it is a multi-plattform Free/Libre OpenSource Software. Some features I like the most of GIMP
- Multi-plattform: available for Linux, Windows, Mac, portable...
- FLOSS
- Customizable user interface
- Selection and manipulation tools (like Unified Transform tool)
- Real-time edition
- Professional results
Additionally, recently GIMP has seen a major improvement on user interface that makes it even easier (and appealing) to use.

Nachteile: - Small development team with small budget: as a result development happens at a slow pace, even though developers do have great ideas and roadmap.
- Lacks non-destructive filters/effects like in Photoshop
- Lacks some vector operations (only works with bitmaps)
- While there is plenty of documentation and tutorials, most image editing tutorials and manuals are addressed to Photoshop only, and whereas in most cases the same techniques can be reproduced/adapted, it requires extra effort that some users do not want to make.
- The fact that it is not so broadly used as Photoshop may be a problem if collaborating with others, even though GIMP opens and saves Photoshop's native file format (although, admittedly, some filters/effects may be lost).

GIMP is where it's at for beginners!

Bewertet am 27.8.2019
John M.
Content Creator
Unterhaltung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Overall, I have had nothing short of an enjoyable experience using GIMP over the past few years. It is versatile enough that I can use it for everything from making flyers and posters to making thumbnails and title card art for YouTube and Facebook videos.
For someone with a limited budget and even more limited technical knowledge when I began, I could not be happier with GIMP and still use it to this day for ninety percent of my projects.

Vorteile: GIMP offers quite a bit as far as options and competes with some programs out there that can cost sixty dollars or more. When I began using the program, I was brand new to graphic design and generally making artwork and editing visual media on a PC. Through the use of tutorials and other sources that I was able to find on the official forums for GIMP, I was able to learn the program in about half of the time that it has taken me to learn other, lesser programs.
Along with great customer support and tutorials, the interface on GIMP is much easier to get the hang of for beginners and the more time that you put into learning the various functions, the more GIMP grows with your skill level and on top of providing various tutorials, the GIMP community is one of the best communities that I have ever interacted with. Amongst the free editing programs that I have used and even amongst ones that I have paid for, GIMP has been by far the easiest and most reliable one. All of the work that I produce with it has a consistent level of quality and a lot of the functions provided by GIMP have been helpful in helping me to understand more about using techniques. All in all, I would say that for the price, GIMP is an amazing program for a beginner or someone on a budget.

Nachteile: The thing that I like least about GIMP is probably that in a recent update, a few of the features that I had grown to depend on were taken out which resulted in taking the time to figure out how to proceed. It wasn't a deal-breaking feature, just something that I liked to save time but being that I didn't use it outside of one or two occasions months apart, it wasn't anything that I was willing to stop using GIMP over and I found out how to proceed and get what I needed to do accomplished through searching for help amongst the forums that are set up.

Great Free alternative for Adobe Photoshop

Bewertet am 18.7.2019
Josip L.
Sales Manager
Einzelhandel, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: With Gimp I am creating weekly flyers with products from our company. We can save an enormous amount of money by doing this by ourselves and not some external design company.

Vorteile: Gimp is an open-source image manipulation program what means it is absolutely free to use. Also, you will receive regular updates which add new features and fixes bugs including security issues. It has all the abilities that for example Adobe Photoshop and other commercial programs have. It can offer even more because it is easily extensible and flexible for every environment with lots of great community plugins and scripts.

Nachteile: The user interface of Gimp is not the most beautiful one but its function is very good. It has a lot of menus and submenus so for beginners it may be a little harder to achieve some more complex operations such as retouch of a face or double exposure. Also, compatibility with Adobe file formats exists but don't except that it works perfectly. Most of the time it works flawlessly if you are opening the document from older versions of Photoshop because newer version needs some updating and updates occur approximately every 2 months which is still faster than what Adobe is doing with their Photoshop.

Lots of capability for no money at all

Bewertet am 29.4.2019
Summer Intern
Grafikdesign, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: For business applications, it's hard to recommend GIMP for any serious work. While capable, investing in more user-friendly and functional software would be better overall.

Vorteile: GIMP is an image manipulation program in the same vein as Adobe Photoshop, with many of the same features and tools to allow you to get very similar results to its more professional counterparts. There are many benefits to being free open source software. On top of serving GIMP for free, the code freely available for viewing and modification. Having many decentralized developers means that many improvements such as features and bug-fixes happen quickly. So long as there are people passionate about the project, development will continue. Also, documentation and tutorials are plentiful for GIMP, as the community for this program is very passionate. Simple searches will yield basic start-up tutorials as well as advanced tutorials for more complicated tasks. GIMP development stagnated for a few years, but with more recent development GIMP has made strides to become more modernized and easy to use. In earlier days of GIMP, it wasn't even possible to draw a circle without a significant number of steps, but this and much more has been added to the program!

Nachteile: GIMP is not as intuitive as competitors like Photoshop, requiring scripting and additional steps to accomplish certain functions. If you plan to become a designer or graphics artist and need to do image manipulation professionally, then GIMP will hinder your abilities to do so. Software parity is important in the professional world, and while GIMP can handle .PSD files it would be better to just use the first party application that the rest of the industry is using. GIMP gains a lot of leeway for being free, since there is no development being backed by a major company. The UI is comparatively clunky and features less accessible compared to paid alternatives. Do not think that you'll be getting the same results as easily in GIMP as you would in other programs.

The most complete emerging program for graphic design.

Bewertet am 23.4.2019
Luis ignacio C.
Diseñador gráfico

Kommentare: One of the greatest benefits that I have received is having a program that works very well in the main operating systems of the market, which has helped me a lot when meeting requirements in work meetings, in which clients ask me specific improvements in my designs. Another beneficial element for me, and for the companies in which I have been working, is the economic savings, the money is invested in operational improvements, which translates into better service for customers and a better quality of life for workers who can perceive significant improvements.

Vorteile: I like to have a high-quality program completely free, that has helped me a lot to invest in equipment that I need for my work. Similar programs, such as Photoshop, offer the same thing but the issue of licensing restrains any graphic design entrepreneur who seeks to work. Another aspect that I like very much is that I have the support of a large community, that of free software, which gives me a lot of peace of mind when I do not know any steps at the moment of designing. Many do not know but have a training platform that even certifies your participation, which gives you the advantage to improve your curriculum. Also, its constant updating has allowed me to diversify the formats with which I can work, I have not found any aspect that I can not achieve with Gimp, I am very satisfied with everything it offers me.

Nachteile: Over the years improve all applications that are contained, I have not found negative aspects that warrant my opinion. On the contrary, I am very happy to have software that cares about its users and does not limit its use with expensive licenses. With great care and respect, I believe it is one of the best options in the market for graphic design workers.

The Best Free Alternative of the past Decade to Any Commercial Image Editing Software

Bewertet am 16.4.2019
Sébastien L.
Directeur

Kommentare: The fact that GIMP is freely available on all major operating systems ensures that you can work seamlessly from any computer in the native format provided (XCF) or any other supported format. I have used GIMP many times to edit PDF files, either to add annotations or to conceal confidential information, which is easy to accomplish with a filter such as "Pixelize". For certain programming tasks, it came handy to create paths with the Bezier tool, exporting the information to the SVG format, which can be read with a programming text editor in a breeze. I have also benefited from its great stability, once creating more than a hundred layers on a single image. Since it can handle as many layer groups and layer masks as you wish, it is possible to iterate over one idea over and over again, discarding only specific modifications. There is also a useful "Undo history" tab that takes a visual snapshot of the state of the image at each particular point in time and gives a meaningful name to each step, facilitating the retrieval of a desired state.

Vorteile: GIMP really has it all: apart from being open source (free) to start with, it supports a plethora of image formats, including animated GIF, PDF, PS, RAW, TIFF and even text (TXT). It features a single-window mode, which is convenient when working with only one monitor, while the multi-window mode is incredibly useful to divide any work being done on two different monitors. It offers many filters and third-party extensions to ease some more tedious aspects of image manipulation. If you are into programming, then you can even take advantage of the exposed libraries, which allow you to programmatically modify images with any tool available in GIMP using Python or Scheme as programming languages. It is also customizable to the core: you can add and remove menus and icons on the fly; you can define the exact resource consumption of the application by specifying details for memory usage and even the number of CPU threads to use; you can have completely distinct configurations for normal mode and full-screen mode; you can create brushes or import from existing creations available online, the same being true with textures; you can configure and add keyboard shortcuts for almost any action you may require to perform and configure many settings to correspond to the default behavior you want in most situations.

Nachteile: GIMP wasn't made to work with Photoshop images (PSD). It does support them, but the experience isn't as good as with Photoshop. Some types of filters apply many different steps and can't easily be undone, which is sometimes frustrating. Unless you are an expert, the Script-Fu Console is not intuitive at all for newcomers and makes it hard to guess what you can actually do. Some filters and effects won't have a complete description immediately available explaining how the image is expected to be modified. This can be inconvenient when trying out new things, as a few filters take a long time to run and may cause the system to hang for a while depending on how the system allocates priority to the application. On the same subject of filters, it is also hard to guess how long a specific effect may take to render as many filters apply a number of steps in a row, resetting the progress bar at each step. Some filters may also have corner cases to consider, for instance when working on a very large image resolution: when rendering a pattern, it can show signs of incongruence if the image isn't scaled down a bit first.

Free Photo-shop Alternative

Bewertet am 7.2.2019
Social Media Manager
Design, Selbstständig

Kommentare: In conclusion, when using Gimp you will learn how to create fantastic site graphics and compelling WEB to graphics. Gimp educational online videos are the best way to learn how to use Gimp.

Vorteile: GIMP is also known as the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a great photo editing program that is stress-free to use. It has a lot of things to do with unlimited options on what to do for a picture to make it look cool. The wonderful thing is, it's free!
Advantages, As you can expect, GNU Image Manipulation is used to edit images. This program makes photo editing very enjoyable and easy. Sure, there are essential things you should learn before you become an expert, but when you learn these first tips for beginners, you start with the start of stunning photo editing plans. Unlike photo editing, the GNU image manipulation program can also create small videos and animations. Despite the difficulty of creating these images, they are still fascinating and really fun. GNU Image Manipulation is one of the best images editing software available. All you have to do is go to the GIMP site and download it for free. Gimp is always available and updates are often shown with fun things to do and discover them in the program. Another great thing about GNU Image Manipulation is that you can add new things to the program. Unlike waiting for an updated date, you can go ahead and download some plug-ins from their site right away! Also, you can add different fonts and different brushes to the program to make your photo stand out.

Nachteile: GIMP has limited 8-bit depth, making it an unexpected choice for professional use in the first place. Gimp has disadvantages when compared to Photoshop in trivial issues the fact that it lacks the advantage of color management and does not provide control layers.

My experience with GIMP has been great, very professional image editing with impeccable results

Bewertet am 7.7.2018
Aníbal M.
Programador

Kommentare: GIMP has brought me many benefits in recent years, I have edited in record time images for the websites that I have designed, I have made business cards for professionals, being a web programmer knowing that GIMP has complemented me allows to offer web pages without having to always resort to a professional designer, which reduces the costs of my projects for the end customers, in my work in the company has served me to perform specific tasks when working with web pages. I am very happy with this software that has been very useful for years and has taken me out of trouble. My bosses and clients are happy with my work. Surely I will continue using GIMP for many years.

Vorteile: I have been using this software for many years to edit images and perform work at the request of my clients in my work as an independent professional, retouching images, banners, logos, among many other things that I have been able to do without complications with GIMP, this application is free , I can use it perfectly without cost, this advantage is very important for me, I love that there are versions for Windows and Linux, since it is possible to install it from repositories, it is easy and it does not waste time searching the Internet, it has many options that include the possibility of programming your own filters this option Although it is very advanced for me, it seems excellent for the future. Another thing that I like about this software is light, I have been able to run it without problems on computers with very few resources, this has got me out of trouble on more than one occasion. It is important that there is a good amount of extras, like filters and brushes, that can be downloaded from the Internet completely free, I like that a lot.

Nachteile: What I like least about GIMP is that the existing documentation is very little in English and even less in Spanish, most of its users are German or Russian and the information you have is not good for me, the GIMP community is very small . It is difficult to find someone who will really help you if you have a problem or do not know how to do a particular task. The additional components that can be downloaded from the Internet are free, but not many. It is necessary to perform a manual work in other applications are performed automatically. It has functions that are very advanced and not very intuitive, it has cost me to discover some functions on my own. The graphical interface seems a little sloppy, this could improve to make it more attractive for a larger group of people.

Mr

Bewertet am 8.2.2018
Martin C.
Webmaster
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Free Photoshop replacement!

Vorteile: GIMP can do just about anything Photoshop can do, plus a few of it's own unique tricks. It easily converts between image formats including SVG files, and can read & write Photoshop PSD files. GIMP can also import Photoshop color pallet files. Some examples of GIMP's advanced features include layer styles (various effects that you can apply including shadows, borders, an emboss effect, and more), content-aware resizing (resize background elements without affecting foreground object), face swap, change object colors, cartoonify your photos, and create animated GIFs. Other useful features include red eye removal, make your own watermark, create custom brushes, and remove colors from some objects (like background). There are many useful plugins you can add to extend GIMP's functionality, for example image compression for web, and batch processing for adding a change to many files automatically. The PSPI plugin the adds the ability to use third party Photoshop plugin filters within GIMP on Windows and Linux. There is also GIMP Portable, a no-install, portable version of GIMP. GIMP Portable can be added to a USB key or hard drive drive, letting you bring the image editor with you. You can keep your favorite plugins and brushes with this package in order to have your entire working suite of image tools with you. GIMP is open source and has a large, active community of developers and users. This means GIMP will continue to evolve but will remain free for all.

Nachteile: As is the case with a lot of free software, some features feel less polished than their commercial counterparts. Some user interface elements may not appear as pixel-perfect as Photoshop, and some interactive features not as smooth. While the GIMP on a Mac feels more stable, the Windows version can be buggy and prone to crashing when using some plugins. The Windows version can also be very slow to start on older PCs, especially when you have a lot of plugins installed. I think the most common critique I've heard about GIMP is the steep learning curve. In my experience, GIMP wasn't really any harder to learn than Photoshop but a lot of users find Photoshop to be more user friendly. In some ways I agree, for example Photoshop seems to be better at guessing where I want to crop an image, or where I'm trying to position a layer so I spend less time fiddling with these controls. Photoshop also feels faster than GIMP when run on the same Windows PC. Loading images, and launching plugins are noticeably slower, although batch processing is at least as fast as Photoshop.

GIMP is seriously powerful now and a keystone to open-source photography workflow

Bewertet am 31.8.2018
Ray A.
Research and Cultural Consultant, Editor/writer, interpreter.
Fotografie, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I tried switching to GIMP in Linux back in 2009, but found it awkward to use and wasn't able to achieve the results I wanted easily. Recent versions have been much better and now, with the release of 2.10 which integrates with Darktable, GIMP is a powerful tool indeed. It is open source and free, but please do make donations to support the development of these amazing tools that benefit many users who truly cannot afford to pay for software.

Vorteile: GIMP is cross platform and will run equally well on Linux, Windows and Mac. This is a big advantage for people who use different computers but are collaborating on a project. My favorite feature of GIMP 2.10 right now is its ability to open RAW files using either Darktable or Rawtherapee where the user can make adjustments, and when finished, close Darktable (Rawtherapee) and have the edited image open directly in GIMP for further editing. This is brilliant and offers a greatly improved workflow for photo editing. A new feature in 2.10.6 is vertical text layers, or the ability to write text top to bottom. This is useful for writing vertical-reading text in Chinese, especially for the creation of formal or fancy documents or invitations. It is also useful for creating interesting layouts in English. Much has been written about GIMP's 'healing' features that allow removal of unwanted items in a photo. In GIMP, this can be done using the Resynthsizer plugin, or the Inpainting plugin that is included in the G'MIC plugin set. While both work well, the G'MIC plugin seems to yield somewhat more consistent results.

Nachteile: Until recent editions, GIMP suffered from a rather unattractive interface and opened the main editing window and toolbars separately. While some users preferred this, I found it awkward to to use and arrange on my limited screen space. A single-window mode was introduced in version 2.8 which I prefer.

GIMP Review

Bewertet am 28.1.2019
Research Assistant
Forschung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I'm a happy and frequent user of GIMP especially after some experience using photoshop as well. It is important to clarify that GIMP is the kind of software that does not try to compete or overpower Photoshop. The most important aspect is that it is not developed commercially and it's free and open-source, unlike Photoshop. All its updates are also free and you can have it on as many computers as you want. It provides with a bunch of free plugins and I even had the chance to play around with the source code of some. GIMP also has its source code available to compile and that makes it available to wide range of systems that Photoshop might not support. Installation is as easy as it can get and runs smoothly even on older computers. I also enjoy the flexibility on keybindings, it can make the work process much faster. The settings being portable to different workstations makes it even more convenient.

Nachteile: The interface can be a bit confusing (I never liked so many floating windows) but that's the case with o lot of similar software too. There is a deep learning curve that is accompanied with not the best documentation, but once you get familiar with it, it shouldn't be a problem. In terms of usage from professionals, there are a few limitations so it shouldn't be considered as a strict replacement for Photoshop. It lacks a few features like CMYK, but there are several plugins to overcome those. Some points that mainly come along with the fact that it is a free open-source piece of software include that it can be buggy sometimes as there is no official quality assurance team. The user community is responsible for reporting bugs and updates and fixes can consequentially take sometime. It can also be a bit slow, but at least it is not as resource-hungry as other alternatives.

The tool has been proven to be a very powerful tool in photo editing and drawing

Bewertet am 25.10.2018
Sayed M.
Marketing & Werbung, Selbstständig

Vorteile: GIMP This program is the oldest and most famous program for processing graphics and images is available on the systems of UNIX and GNU / Linux. It has been proven very quickly, very powerful program in the design of digital images and digital features and easy to deal with the tools within the program with beginners or professionals and is characterized as cheap compared to other expensive design programs is a free program main use and improve the appearance of images as well as re-scaled and cut and Adjusting colors, grouping images with each other, removing unwanted objects, and converting between different image formats as well as drawing logos. It can also create GIF animations
Jump works on several platforms: most of the platforms of UNIX and its children such as GNU Linux, Macintosh among them, in addition to Microsoft Windows.
It is characteristic
 The program is light and small size does not exceed 16 MB.
Free and free, and you do not have to pay too much to use, you can download and use it for free.
 Supports Arabic by default and does not need a special version to support Arabic.
Places of coloring
 A complete set of painting tools.
 Anti-Aliasing (Sub-pixel sampling) technology is available for all tools.
 Generating gradients with great magnificence.
 Add custom brushes, gradients and patterns.
Technical features
 Advanced memory management (tile based memory management, sic) makes image size limited only to free space on the hard drive.
 Unlimited number of images

Nachteile: Slower in performance but very acceptable
  It does not support 16-bit accuracy and this is my opinion the flaw is the good news that this defect will be resolved in the next version according to some sites.
Some specifications need to be installed and not the basis of the program
It does not contain a photo organizer program like Bridge
It does not contain a RAW adapter and this is not necessary because most cameras come with RAW format converter. You will also find a free alternative to RAW format conversion
It does not open some file types such as JPEG-2000

Gimp Review 2019 - The Best Free Alternative To Photoshop

Bewertet am 2.2.2019
Simone P.
Krankenhausversorgung & Gesundheitswesen, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Gimp does not have all of the features that Photoshop does, but is pretty close, and the fact that it is free you can't complain. The software is however open source, so you can make changes to it, and a quick google, and you can normally find a way or a tutorial to achieve what you wanted.
I love Gimp and have been using it for years for Art and Graphics design, as well as other personal projects. The software is able to save your work in so many formats, making it easy to use your work across other platforms. A massive thumbs up.

Vorteile: The overall and best thing about this software is that it is free. This is a great alternative to Adobe Photoshop, and will not disappoint you.
The fact that this software is free does not mean that it is lacking in features.
Gimp has many ways in which you can retouch your images, has amazing tools for cropping, colour adjustment, noise reduction, gradients, customizable brushes and many other tools that you can use. If you are looking for more advanced features, Gimp also covers this with layer masks, filters, bezier curves and even has an animation package.
The customizable brushes are a must for any artist, and adding them is so simple. This makes Graphic Design and artwork very easy to achieve the look and feel that you want.

Nachteile: Occasionally, and I mean very occasionally, Gimp software might have a little glitch. This does not seem to effect my work though, and I haven't lost any, but may result in a action box remaining on the screen after it has finished doing it's thing. This is not really a problem though as I just place my window that I am working on, over the top of it, and it is no longer visible.

Fully and easily customizable

Bewertet am 3.5.2019
Linos S.
Academic
Hochschulbildung, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: GIMP supports virtually any file-type of raster graphics one needs to work on. Vector graphics can be imported and exported, but not so easy to create from scratch. Animated GIFs can be edited, but again, not built. But, if one needs to customize GIMP, they have a lot of options. The easiest would be to find a ready-made plugin, which can cover up for almost everything not included in the main application. Two, there is the Py-Fu console, which is a simple way of creating and optimizing plugins. Three, if you have the knowledge, you can go straight to the source code, and make your life easier but also contribute to how other people work with graphics.

Nachteile: GIMP's learning curve was a pain back in the day, when access to internet was not available to everyone 24/7. I believe things are easier today; the learning curve is still steep, but apart from the manual, one can also read and watch tutorials that make it easier.