Great Software for 3D Parametric CAD and Easily Accessible

Bewertet am 24.9.2019
Felix J.
Systems Administrator
Buchhaltung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Overall, using OnShape has been a walk in the park. The user experience of it was fluid, even on a 6 year old Macbook Pro on base specs, not something I could say about Solidworks or AutoCAD. It is fully featured and not having to worry about files, using the built-in cloud integration is great. I would not hesitate to recommend OnShape to anyone interested in picking up CAD or even small CAD shops.

Vorteile: Coming into the 3D printing world as a student hobbyist, OnShape was a wonderful introduction to 3D CAD and modeling concepts. It was easy and intuitive to pick up (without an engineering degree), and their instructions videos detailed all the primary features you will need. I am by no means a CAD or engineering professional, so I speak to this software from purely a hobbyist and 3D printing nerd standpoint. It was easy for me to pick up and learn, and the fact that the software operated on a browser (I use Safari) was amazing. The cloud integration was solid and robust, albeit only allowing public models and documents on free accounts. I was able to log into any workstation near me and be able to pull up a model and work on it. The decoupling of compute and processing power from the base hardware was also refreshing when it came to unknown pieces of hardware. In my makerspace, I primarily operated on not-so-amazing machines compared to my home workstation, so the ability to be portable and rely on cloud processing was nice. There wasn't really anything I wanted to do from a basic parametric 3D CAD software that I couldn't do on OnShape. From the few years, I've been using it, they are also constantly improving the features available and also refining the user interface. Admittedly, the versioning system which comprised of different branches was a little unexpected in ​CAD software​ but is very paralleled to code-versioning software like Git.

Nachteile: The hardest part about the software was being able to find other people who used it to teach you about it. Being rather new to the CAD scene, OnShape does have as widespread ​adoption as SolidWorks or AutoCAD, so being able to find others who used it was challenging. Ultimately though, with the decent amount of support documentation detailing the features and some very helpful forum posts, the lack of user experiences could be overlooked. The interface and usage is also quite different from the traditional CAD's was also a bit of a challenge, if you eventually find yourself migrating or using one from time to time. The lack of private projects with free accounts is also a bummer, but not a major issue by any means.

Great collaborative design tool!

Bewertet am 26.7.2019
Joshua R.
Machinist
Forschung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We use Onshape daily to design research equipment ranging from simple supports to complex machinery. It's robust collaborative system allows us to keep everyone on the same page, across teams that are in different time zones, and even occasionally different continents! The cloud based nature means we don't have to worry about someone being behind on updates, everyone sees the same exact thing every time.

Vorteile: Onshape has a relatively short learning curve, anyone with basic CAD familiarity can be off and running in minutes. Despite this, it has a very robust feature set, and interoperability with all of the industry standards.

Nachteile: Lack of organic CAM features. We like to use the same tool end-to-end, and most Onshape CAM requires us to step to a parallel toolset.

I am a consulting mechanical product designer with almost 25 years experience.

Bewertet am 18.8.2017
Bob B.
Co-founder/CTO
Design, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I try and get my clients to migrate to Onshape all of the time. The benefits I get from the software are too many to list, but some of my favorites:
No dedicated computer or server required
Built-in PDM system
Onshape always saves all of my work, all the time.

Vorteile: The best thing about Onshape is that you can use any computer, tablet or phone as long as it has a browser. There is nothing to install, no "versions" to contend with, and I never lose my work because the software crashes.
Onshape is very intuitive for those coming from other 3D CAD packages, there are just a few work flow learning curves, (working with part studios) but other than that, very easy to learn.
Another great functionality of Onshape is the built in PDM. Onshape does not only allow you to build parts, moving assemblies, and drawings, you may also upload images, PDFs, Excel sheets, Word documents, etc. The ability to keep all of your files within a single Onshape document can save hours when tracking spec sheets and other pertinent information.
I use Onshape when my clients do not have or require a specific CAD program/software, it allows me to share the data with them and smoothly collaborate at all times. Most of my clients utilize SolidWorks and I try to move them over to Onshape whenever possible. Onshape works well with SolidWorks however, when there is a need for both, it allows for a lot of other options that were not there in the past.
Lastly, one more great thing about Onshape is that they are constantly updating the software, it gets better each month. Better still is the fact that the updates are automatic, there are no patches, just open your browser and its there waiting for you.

Nachteile: The only con I can really think of would be it's limitations through the past, but this is to be expected of a brand new software program. Not having the ability to develop sheet metal parts in the beginning was rough, but I also have to say, when Onshape does deliver on what is lacking, it's always above and beyond my expectations.

Has the possibility to be the new CAD paradigm like SolidWorks was back in 96 when I left 2D CAD

Bewertet am 15.8.2017
David C.
CTO
Eisenbahnbau, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: No real benefits yet, but hopeful.

Vorteile: Support is responsive, pricing is fine, love the 'pay by the use' subscription format for advanced features seldom used like FEA. Will be a great all around CAD platform for small flexible companies like ours when its fully featured. I'm very interested in seeing what CAD designed without 20 years of baggage will look like when OnShape is mature. For the amateur, hobbyist, and students; Onshape should be the first system they learn on. Back in the day I used to steer these people to Alibre when asked for a 3D CAD recommendation because they likely couldn't justify the high entry price of SolidWorks and its maintenance. My hope is that Onshape gets this market and most of the small businesses like ours. I do recommend that Onshape come up with a lower tier plan between free and the current paid plan that allows really small organizations to grow in their financial commitment over time. Something token priced per user limited to forum support and limited cloud memory for a longer term test drive. This could accelerate Onshapes replacement of SW because small commercial users can start experimenting without the public files. Picture rouge Engineers in a company already paying for SW that might want to show something to management and shouldn't have to pay per month personally to keep a small amount of company files private!

Nachteile: OnShape is not quite ready for us to use on our bigger projects. Like watching the Matrix movies I'm dying to figure out how they keep 'branches' and the current 'versioning' paradigms and also allow part and assembly configurations that should not require an exact linear history. I really hope they do better than the Matrix movies in closing the loop. If they were more open about when we could expect 'configurations' to be ready, my team might be able to jump to bigger projects sooner. But modeling without 'configurations' is really hard for those of us who grew up on SW. It is the king of all built in work-arounds in my design methodology and the longer I try doing things in Onshape the more I realize configurations are a key requirement of mine. They also need to get conical and cylindrical sheet metal as this is sending me back to SolidWorks on some simple jobs I should have gotten done in Onshape, even without configurations. I have less Pros than Cons to talk about at the moment, but my true feelings are demonstrated by the fact that I'm still investing my time in using the software as much as I can, I'm hoping that this can be our primary CAD system in the next 6 to 24 months. SW didn't have that much to offer by 1998 so OnShape is likely comparable in its advancement along this path.

Very happy with this modern cloud based solution with 5 stars customer support!

Simon C.
Maschinenbau oder Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Cost effective modern cloud based solution that is efficient, powerful and secure.

Vorteile: OnShape is a simple-to-use yet powerful parametric modern cloud based software that allows me to collaborate easily with my team. Forget about heavy and expensive CAD work station. I've been most of all my mechanical design on a MacBook Air in Safari. As a frequent traveler, I can access and work on my model on any computer as long as there's reasonable internet connection and google chrome. The data system is so powerful that I've never experienced a single error message caused by data corruption. This was a serious problem I had with Solidworks in the past. Since it's a cloud based system, my data is securely backed up with full traceability down to every single change I made to the model. Whenever I have questions or see a bug in the system, I can easily report it to OnShape's technical using the feedback system. Bugs are usually fixed within days after it's reported. Forget about upgrading or installing new patches, it's always the latest version as soon as you login. Thanks to it's cloud based technology! OnShape is frequently updated so that patches and new features can be incorporated in no time!

Nachteile: The only issue I have is offline access to the models I have OnShape. OnShape does provide the option of exporting models into numerous formats so that you could open them with conventional non-cloud based software. However, I still have trouble opening them with common software like eDrawings. Ultimate, I would prefer to have an OnShape software on my computer that could sync the data I would like to view whenever I go offline. This is important, as I don't always have an internet connection when I need to present my models to my client when traveling overseas. So it'd be great if OnShape could look at better view-only offline support. Where I can view a read-only model and jot down comments. When I'm back online, I can edit it on my browser.

Onshape is a good fit for me and my startup. It was not a good fit when I tried at a larger company.

Ethan M.
Founder, Senior Mechanical Engineer
Essen & Trinken, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I think I laid out most of the benefits previously. It's an excellent CAD tool that fits the needs of my startup. In the future, I'm excited to see how the product adapts to a changing market. Are drawings going to continue to be the golden standard of conveying information? If so, I would hope that you continue to develop drawings, as they are less robust than other drawing solutions on the market (SW, AC). If we start to see a larger trend towards model based definition, will that work essentially the same as view only sharing? Machine shops will have a better answer than I do.
One thing I really miss from SW was that my sheet metal vendor had an automatic quoting add-on. I just pushed a few buttons, selected materials and I could shoot a purchase order request out in minutes. I'm curious to see how that kind of automation works its way into the product.
As I've stated, I'm pretty happy with Onshape so far. Even though I have a couple small gripes, the benefit of knowing that I'm working with tools that I expect to endure better than 'traditional' CAD tools offers me enough peace of mind that we're willing to put up with a decent amount of frustration along they way if it comes.

Vorteile: I really love how fast I can put my assemblies together with fasten mates.
I really love not having to fix broken relations, or deal with other horrible manifestations of Dassault Enterprise PDM. Having a git-like structure has a learning curve, but it much easier to manage.
In Onshape, things generally behave the way I expect them to. This may seem a little straightforward, but it's amazing how frequently this isn't the case, even with historied, expensive, enterprise software.
I love how often I get to see a preview of my document as a model and not just a file name.
I love the idea (I don't get a lot of opportunity to use this feature, yet) of being able to share a model in view only mode to anyone.
I use the android app on my Pixel XL, and it runs really amazingly well, which is super convenient for those days in the shop I want to check a measurement, but don't want to print and bring drawings (mostly days I waterjet parts and need to do a small amount of post processing).

Nachteile: Needing to have internet access when I use it! Sometimes I just have a few minutes between here and there, or want to be able to work from a cafe. With software, I can just commit as I go and push when it's convenient. I understand why Onshape needs constant internet access to function, but it's occasionally a pain.
Performance has occasionally been an issue. I'm mostly using two different beefy workstation desktops (one linux, one windows, both chrome), and I have high expectations from my time working in Solidworks. Sometimes it just takes longer than I feel like it should to rotate a model or move something that has freedom within an assembly. Very small movements can be a little finicky. Same goes for selection through transparency.
The other thing I like least is the pricing model. When I was at a larger startup, we had floating licences of SW that worked really well for us. I tried to work on transitioning the team to Onshape, with one of the promises being that we would be able to save some money along the way. In the end, it would have been significantly more expensive than the floating licence system we were using, which ended up being a surprise. Sure, people can jump on and off month by month, but it's much more of a day to day, and even hour to hour thing with when people need to hop on CAD. I don't know what a better system than you have would be, to be honest, I just know it was a pain point when a larger company I was at looked into transitioning.

As a 3D printing professional I found Onshape delivered everything promised and more.

Brian M.
Owner/Designer
Kunststoffe, Selbstständig

Kommentare: The ability to design and produce complex 3D printed objects that fit together perfectly.
Also the ability to visualize assemblies and make modifications before they are produced.
I also found it indispensable in producing exploded diagrams and parts catalogues.
Overall the software is an essential tool for product development, from initial concept to finished product.

Vorteile: I gave it 4/5 for ease of use but only because there is an initial learning curve to figure out what all the buttons do. After that, the sky is the limit. The software is Fast, easy to use and once you get the hang of it very intuitive.
Complex shapes, such as screw threads, are straight forward to produce. The key is just to know what you want to make, and once you get that clear in your own head, you guide the program to make exactly what you want.
As a visual learner I felt fully at home with Onshape. I output my finished designs as STL files and send them directly to my 3D printer. Results are impressive and a great advertisment for 3D printing in general.
Would I recommend Onshape to others? absolutely, and if you are thinking about 3D printing do even start without getting Onshape first.
My rating 5 star.

Nachteile: No real cons that I can think of, other than the initial learning curve as already mentioned. But that said, Onshape's own documentation and user forums are excellent, so there are no real problems to report.
Only improvement I could think of is to suggest you get a 3D connexion mouse to compliment the software and use it to its full potential.

Onshape is my 5th and final 3D CAD package - I have arrived!

Nick L.
Proprietor
Möbel, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I spend much less time achieving much more, more reliably than before I found Onshape!

Vorteile: The (deceptively) simple, very powerful user interface
Amazing, multi-part part studios
The reliabity of the software and the way it "just works"
Being better suited to woodworking than anything else I am aware of
Being able to pick up on a design at home after work without having done ANYTHING
Quality, speed and pleasantness of support!
The problem being keeping up with releases rather than waiting 18 months to find that X wasn't included after all!
Being able to add in your own features using FeatureScript!
The amazing new 3D curves and surface generating features allowing me to accomplish things I hadn't succeeded in doing with other CAD software!
The app store for all the addons that are not core-CAD
Feeling "listened to" when making suggestions or struggling with something!
The effort the team put into "joined up thinking", getting things "right" and the many decisions they have got right already

Nachteile: No internet = no CAD (but not actually been a problem yet!)
The lack of configurations (as yet)
The lack of any visual representation of materials in the workspace beyond colour and transparancy (wood, metal, glass, plastic re: SW or inventor)
The way variables (parameters) are managed (looking forward to what is coming but this one has felt like a long wait)

von Onshape an 25.8.2017

Hi Nick! Thanks for your feedback as always. I'm excited to see how you enjoy our upcoming releases! Please keep me posted if you need anything in the meantime.

Exciting start to real cloud CAD

Ed L.
Senior Engineer
Maschinenbau oder Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Relatively low cost of ownership thanks to the subscription model and the modest hardware requirement. Once learnt the system is faster to use than our previous CAD.

Vorteile: The new ways of working that the marketing talk pushes so hard really do have some significant advantages. The integrated version control is brilliant - unlimited undo, branching, merging and visual differencing. Real time collaboration works well but persuading suppliers to adopt a new process can be tricky. The subscription model of both licensing and software updates works well for us.
One of the most impressive aspects has been the customer support. This software is a work-in-progress. The quality is good but as with all software, users find inventive ways to break things or try the impossible. When something hasn't worked as expected the in-built feedback tool works great. I've put in several 'bugs' and feature requests and always had a response within 24 hours. Bugs fixes have made it into the next monthly release. Low hardware requirements that aren't increased with every release.

Nachteile: Some feature sets are more developed than others. Drawings are still improving - quite a few 'manual' tools that you'd be used to from other packages are not yet available. For me the lack of 'configurations' is frustrating but I can see this ultimately being integrated with the versioning system and being awesome.

The intelligence and insight behind the big picture structure of Onshape is astounding.

Bill R.
Director/Engineer/Designer/Inventor
Maschinenbau oder Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Sanity. I'm not kidding. Having the creative process constantly halted by CAD and OS bugs that never get fixed, some for decades was constant. I started using Onshape really seriously while on holiday in the back country of France when a licensee stopped paying their royalty and I had to redesign the product for production. The internet was very slow, but I got all the work done and quotes were all done before I got back home. I had all my files and all I needed to do that work in my MacbookPro, and my holiday was just as enjoyable as normal.

Vorteile: The underlying philosophy and structure allows unprecidented freedom to develop and record creative ideas. Pretty well everything can be captured by the built-in version system, while allowing you to return occasionally to ideas that weren't so bad after all.
Support is rapid, even from Australia, and new feature requests get answered - in weeks!
The interface is cleaner, more logically grouped and simpler than any CAD I've seen over the last 40 years. It often makes me smile and almost never makes me swear. And that is a delightful reversal of normal for me.

Nachteile: Some commands are hard to find.
Searching help through key words can be unhelpful.
The feature set is naturally not quite as complete as older CAD systems.

Great customer support

Bewertet am 10.2.2019
Jarom S.
Industrial Designer
Design, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Onshape is really nice for working on a project with other people because of the realtime edits you can do. It is kind of like a google doc where everyone can be there working and changing things. It has worked really well in our little startup group.

Vorteile: There are three things that I have really enjoyed with Onshape. I love that it is cloud based. No more having to save, or worry about losing anything. I also love using is the versions tree. This helps a lot in design to be able to make different versions and compare them easily and quickly. Lastly, their customer service has been spot on. Their team checks in on us regularly to make sure we are doing okay and I have been able to easily schedule a time with someone to help me build a part that I am struggling to build. They are very patient and willing to help in any way.

Nachteile: The surfacing still has a ways to go, but has been improving over the last year, so I expect it to provide most any feature needed. The only other complaint is the multiple selection feature. Instead of using shift or control to select multiple items, it is set so you can just click anything and it adds it to the selection group(without pressing any other button). While this might sound nice, it gets really annoying and you end up selecting multiple features/parts/items without wanting to.

Onshape makes life easy

Chris K.
Selbstständig

Vorteile: Infinite computing, makes it possible to work from anywhere and model quickly, even from my iPad or netbook. The lofting feature blows other CAD systems out of the water. Seriously the loft feature you have now is unbelievably good. The "git" style versioning is genius. I never worry about loosing work, breaking assemblies, etc. The versioning in Onshape is my favorite feature IN ANY SOFTWARE. I wish every piece of software worked this way. The collaboration I do now with clients is ONLY possible in Onshape. I can work thousands of miles away from my client but they still feel in complete control. They can access their assets without even contacting me which is so amazing. The shear peace of mind that all of my CAD assets and references are safely stored on the cloud gives me amazing confidence working on projects for clients.

Nachteile: Adobe Illustrator polylines, DXF and DWG import/ingest needs major improvement. Going from Illustrator to Onshape is kind of a pain in the butt right now. So many designs come from Illustrator or EPS, and being able to digest polylines would be so great. Google font support in the text tool would also be helpful. Only 5 fonts or so are available now which is very limited.

I have done a lot with the OnShape tool, more than I was able to with ProE Creo.

Bewertet am 14.8.2017
Charles D.
manger, technical project lead, software developer
Maschinenbau oder Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I had the opportunity to investigate some complex design issues, and try out some solutions, though I have not finished yet. I had tried this in ProE, but I found it too hard to use, and the software update issues were beyond painful...

Vorteile: Ease of use, and the interaction with the developers. The training webinars, and interest in helping the users. The ability to make user features is really interesting, and I have used is some. I am still learning...but it has been very positive experience so far. The integrated versioning tools are also quite helpful, and well thought out. I was using the tool almost daily, but lately, conflicting work has taken me away...have to get back.

Nachteile: My machines use chains, and the tools inability to deal with those, especially in an assembly, is problematic. Parts that move in 3-space when the chains move, is key also. I tweaked a pulley example, that works partially in a part window, but then disappears in the assembly. Sprockets and chain details - I have not incorporated...but those still do not move the sprockets. Also, part of the machines are cables. here I mean force transmitting cable, not electrical ones. Lining up sheaves, and visualizing the cable paths would also be a great addition. I am hoping these get supported eventually. The last thing I will mention is no external interface. I am developing the control software for the machines, but i cannot pass the kinematic and dynamic data in and how to have the software run the machine, so I am forced to investigate video game software engines to do that...That has useful results, but makes for a more complex integration and evaluation effort. I feel like I am unloading here, but the ideas might be food for thought.

Onshape changed the way we do design, interact with customers, and saves us quite a bit of money

Bewertet am 17.8.2017
Jason B.
Chief Engineer
Maschinenbau oder Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Flexibility. We can turn licenses on and off as needed, without having to go through painful installation procedures. If we need other capabilities (such as simulation, rendering, or math tools) that Onshape does not have built in, we can add apps that make it even more powerful.

Vorteile: The browser-based nature of Onshape and sharing capabilities are great strengths. We can share designs with infinitely varying levels of permissions from full editing and sharing to view only in anyone's browser. This means that instead of having one person with a clunky laptop during a design review, anyone can bring up the full assemblies and / or piece parts on whatever device they bring...including their phones. One of our customers uses SolidWorks as their design tool and we use our Onshape license to both work on and share designs for viewing that no one would get to look at if they weren't looking over our shoulders at the SolidWorks workstations.

Nachteile: One of the main issues with Onshape is that it depends on a solid internet connection. Early on, we had some internet drop-out issues at different job sites that we have shored up now by getting a better provider and adding a hotspot for portable reliability.

Very good software for mechanical design and design sharing/team design projects

Bewertet am 15.8.2017
Jeremy L.
Director of Engineering
Maschinenbau oder Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Design agility and speed are the largest benefits I see. We are a smaller company and work with a larger number of outside vendors for manufacturing and engineering work. This has by far made that process much easier and eliminated the wasted time and money associated with giving an outside firm access to our vault for file transfer. It is very nice to be able to collaborate in real time with the outside world, both on the design and manufacturing side, by simply sharing a file with a person, company or team (internal of external).

Vorteile: I like the features and ease of reusing existing geometry. It easily allows for multi-body part modeling and enables the parts to be treated as individual parts with their own properties etc. The architecture of program makes it one of the fastest I have ever used for conceptual design and then easily transitions the designs into production.

Nachteile: The learning curve switching from solidworks/pro-E was a little steeper than I anticipated but, once we made the switch, the benefits really started to payoff. Although it can import and edit 2D dwg type files, it is not a good solution or does not have the ability to create 2D as easily as an autocad program when creating schematics or the like (the drawing package for documenting Onshape files is very functional).

von Onshape an 25.8.2017

Thanks for the positive review, Jeremy! We're looking forward to working closer with you and the team over the next few months.

Onshape is a revelation in the CAD world. Versatile, collaborative, mobile and efficient software.

Dirk P.
Kosmetik, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I can take my CAD information anywhere I need it; from the shop floor to instant access at any time on any device. The level of control over my company's CAD content is best in the industry. The collaboration that Onshape allows makes the design process faster and smoother.

Vorteile: There are so many pros to list.
It is profession CAD on mobile devices, it has built-in version control. Onshape is fully cloud-based so you always have access to the most updated files. You can make custom features or modify existing features do particular tasks. Onshape lets multiple people work on the same model at the same time. It uses a reimagined mating system that is completely intuitive for real-world motion. The cost is completely unbeatable. New engineers can start working in minutes without waiting to install CAD software. Onshape support is incredible. They update Onshape very regularly so any suggestions for improvement are implemented more quickly.

Nachteile: There are still a few features that Onshape does not have like weldments and 3D sketching that I would like to see. Sometimes needing an internet connection can be bothersome as well.

I do not loose information, it is grate. And no more crash, so I work very happy.

Bewertet am 17.8.2017
Arturo S.
Engineer
Konsumgüter, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: It is a profesional CAD that can run in any computer. The cost is accesible.
And I think that have a new workflow or work method that have advantage and save time.

Vorteile: The information that I create is safe. I do not need a big computer, so the big files can work fine. It not have crashes, so I do not lose time by that. The idea of work with multiple solids in a same "fiel" have a lot of advantage, and the assembly mate is faster.

Nachteile: I need to test the new surface tools, It was limited, but I see the tutorial and think that this new tools was strong.
I need to put my own profiles (or customise profiles) in weldment or structural tools.
The draft angle analysis is important.
The idea to use partners or apps, it grate, but It is expensive or maybe I need to understand how to use to pay only the time that I need. I do not have a risk to have a monthly charge in my credit card if I forget uncheck something.
Sometimes is important project a sketch or curve one surface.

30 year mechanical and hydraulik CAD user

Bewertet am 19.8.2017
Svenolov N.
Designer

Vorteile: I don't need expensive cad hardware and the program is available at any place with internet connection. Onshape can import other cad file format so it is possible for me to cooperate with companies using other Cad programs. Onshape give me as a design consultan possibility to cooperate with other designers I don't have to invest in expensive cad programs. It is easy to present and discuss design development in project groups. The pricing is fair set.

Nachteile: Missing some funktionalities i.e. In my project with rock drill rigs I need to position boom and feed (7 degrees of freedom) to different positions. I hope a nice feature to handle the movement will come. A great benefit for onshape is the ability to transfer files but the recipian must have a license and they are reluctant to invest in a license . A possibility to temporarily give rights on the fly to load files with a free license can be a solution

Onshape is awesome

Bewertet am 16.9.2019
Manager of Curriculum Development

Vorteile: I love the combination of direct editing with parametric modeling. The options opened up with direct editing is simply amazing. I often work in my job with models that came for outside of my organization, leaving me without the full feature history to work with, so direct editing is a game changer. The cloud based access is also incredibly helpful. I’m no longer tied to a particular device to access my models. Working in the office, at home or on road, it doesn’t matter. I wondered at first if working in a browser would be tough given that cad programs are so computationally heavy, but I have never had an issue.

Nachteile: The only time I’ve wished I had a feature not available was when I needed a font that wasn’t available.

We've been a user since the days of beta, allows us to work no matter where we're at

Matthew B.
COO
Industrieautomation, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: It allows us to more rapidly develop our integrated robotic workers than competing systems. The ability to have the customers log directly into the model from anywhere and do a quick design review and make changes on the fly while tracking them is a huge benefit especially since our customers are located across the country.

Vorteile: Cloud based CAD that can be ran on a multitude of platforms from PC/Mac to mobile. Ability to collaborate with our team and customer in real time with multiple individuals working simultaneously in the application. Rapid development of the platform with new releases on a regular and rapid basis

Nachteile: Lack of offline caching causes Models to need to be reloaded when experiencing poor network coverage such as riding down the interstate while working on a customer design

von Onshape an 25.8.2017

Hi Matthew. Thanks so much for taking the time to review Onshape. I'd love to catch up since it's been a few weeks since we spoke. Do you have some time next week to chat?

Great combination of solid CAD and PDM

Florian W.
Co-Founder / Managing Director
Maschinenbau oder Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Extreme design speed up through highly parametric designs.

Vorteile: Easy to pick up with great concepts and features like bulletproof booleans, part studios and the ability to derive geometry from and to anywhere in the system. Without touching a file system.
The ability to User Onshape everywhere is very important for us. When visiting a manufacturer or customer all data is always accessible.
Another big plus: Support. When was the last time the you wrote a feature request or bugreport and had it fixed in hours for a "normal CAD vendor"?

Nachteile: Drawings are not up to par with other tools yet. Although the progress is fast. As with all cad systems, they sometimes drive you mad. Onshape's ease of use makes up for this most of the time.

von Onshape an 25.8.2017

Hi Florian. Thanks for taking the time to review Onshape! As always, please feel free to reach out if I can help you with anything!

Onshape has enabled me to become more efficient and streamlined in the things that I do.

Bewertet am 21.8.2017
Tom K.
Design Engineer
Möbel, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: 1. I like how this software doesn't tie you down to one machine, so If your primary machine goes down, you don't have to worry whether you can get the work done or not. 2. I like how the software doesn't hold you back based on the spec/type of your computer, plus it is able to perform over multiple platforms and devices, i.e. Mac, Pc, Ipad, Etc. so you can start on a PC for example, then carry on on a PC and visa versa. 3. I like how that you can perform similar/same tasks as Solidworks without the need to spend hours retraining as it is relatively similar. 4. I like how it is reasonably accessible to most people. 5. I like how it can easily integrate with add-ons, i.e. One-render, Keyshot etc. so that you can also render your product, and this can even happen without leaving the Onshape browser!!

Nachteile: By no means am I a CAD pro and I don't use the software on a regular/daily basis, so some of these may be down to my skill and knowledge but; 1. I find the mating functions more difficult to use than other softwares.
1.1. Regarding the mating, other softwares allow you to mate using planes which can make it easier to mate if the centre of the product isn't where the planes meet.
2. I am still getting my head around the version and branch options in the history tree, but I can see how this will/can be beneficial. I think that my negatives can be resolved through watching tutorials, but I guess they are still negatives as they aren't as intuitive/easy to use.

von Onshape an 25.8.2017

Hi Tom! Thanks so much for your review of Onshape. Have you been able to take advantage of our training offerings yet? I'd be happy to get you registered for one of our Bootcamp courses if you'd be interested! It's a live training for 4 days, 2 hours per day and covers all the essentials of Onshape. Let me know and we can decide which available dates work best for you.

Redefining CAD User Experiance

Christopher H.
Production Manager
Luft- & Raumfahrt, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Ability to work on my project from any web browser. Using the product is very intuitive. While Onshape runs in a web browser, it feels faster than the competition installed on my computer.

Vorteile: The user interface of Onshape is a game changer. The sheet metal tool is one of the easiest available. User input is greatly valued and well heard. The webinars and tech tips are extremely helpful. Onshape is always being updated with new tools and features. Customers are not inconvenienced by updates, you are always using the newest version. Easy cross-compatibility with other cad packages. Featurescript gives lots of flexibility and options.

Nachteile: CAM functionality very lacking. The lack of 3d sculpting tools can sometimes be a challenge. The Webinars, while extremely helpful can feel unfocused and a bit unorganized.

Simple, but Deeply Powerful

Paul A.
Maschinenbau oder Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Fully featured CAD package that's affordable for small businesses and startups, with > 90% of the features, for a much more reasonable price. Having it on the cloud means I can CAD even from my Chromebook and mobile device, because it isn't limited by the computers specs.

Vorteile: I love not having to constantly email myself files or carry them around on pen drives, with all kinds of stupid "v011_final_real_modified" file names. Even when I used GrabCAD you still had to make sure the latest version was uploaded, but OnShape it's just THERE - I don't need to worry about whether I have the latest version if I'm travelling. The interface is clean, and though simple to get started with when coming from other CAD packages, it has a lot of more powerful features that you can get into with relative ease - FeatureScript and the git-style versioning to name a few. And I'm so done with making sure I have the latest version of whatever, and dealing with license servers and all that nonsense.

Nachteile: App store has increased range of features, but vary highly in quality and ease of use, especially in the creation of common real-world deliverables e.g. CAM & rendering. Minor gripe: not being able to group features and nest sketches under their corresponding features makes the feature tree often feel cluttered.

This software has been very intuitive to use and is the most fully featured giving the best value.

Travis L.
Maschinenbau oder Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen, Selbstständig

Kommentare: It has allowed me to work as an independent consulting engineer/designer to create accurate models for my client in a timely manner.

Vorteile: - The best feature is this software is cloud based. It does not require a high-end desktop to run and is OS agnostic.
- The 3D modelling and 2D drawing feature sets are very extensive with additional features added very regularly. The user experience is always improving and the developers are very responsive to the user base keeping them informed of coming features and dedicated to addressing issues.
- The performance is excellent (no lag). Also, the business model of paying for private documents (at a reasonable cost) while also providing a user full access to all the features for free made the decision to purchase the training and software an easy decision.
- Live webcast training was excellent.

Nachteile: Many modelling and drawing features are basic and require improvement to allow for customization - i.e. Hole feature, assigning materials, 2D drawings. These are limiting factors for being able to use in a professional environment.