"Own your Bits" is more than just a motto...

Bewertet am 31.8.2019
Tim B.
IT System Architect
Computer-Vernetzung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: From a simplistic view, having company reference material available on both laptop and mobile devices is key to our teams success. Nextcloud allows us to arrange the data in a way that fits our needs, not how the app wants it.
Flexibility - Within hours of a users request, we can have a new "feature" implemented. As a simple example, one of our consultants suggested having field data (draft source, notes, pseudo code, proposed architectural designs, etc) available as they are generated in the field. With just a simple directory structure and defining the parent app, we now have real-time data from draft designs that allows early collaboration.

Vorteile: Free, open source, versatile.
After years of paying for data sharing and collaboration tools, Nextcloud provides these (and more) features while allowing our company to "own" the files. The data never leaves our private network, which these days is more important than ever.
For less than the cost of a one month subscription to our old plan, our company purchased all the hardware needed to stand-up a Nextcloud Server that we control. Sure, there are some small monthly costs associated with maintaining the server, archiving backups, and performing updates, but it's small in comparison to the security and reliability of keeping our data on site.

Nachteile: Although there's considerable documentation, we experienced a few quirks during installation and deployment. Some are likely a result of our specific system configuration, but overall these were small and with a little internet searching, were quickly resolved

A Solid Cloud Hosted Storage

Systems Administrator
Buchhaltung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: It was an easy PHP web app to setup that is fairly extensible. It has a large selection of plugins that let you add basically all functionality you’ll need to parallel something like DropBox Enterprise. I have only used the self-hosted version, so I can only speak to that, but so far, it has been fairly stable, running on an 8core 12GB VM with Ubuntu 18.04 (past 6 months) and Ubuntu 14.04 (for the past 3-4 years). Given that it’s self-hosted though, you’ll get no official support, except from the community forums which have been friendly and helpful. The devs are also fairly active there, so you’ll get good answers. It maintains great integration with iOS and desktop devices (can’t speak for Android), and using it together with a SAML setup is quite a breeze. So far, it has scaled to about 150K small files and 1.5TB of storage. It’s built-in authentication system is also quite robust, with support for TOTP and FIDO 2FA via the plugin system. It also maintains solid integration to Collabora Online and OnlyOffice, allowing real-time document editing with multiple users and guests, which has come in handy quite a few times. Great software overall!

Nachteile: Can be a bit difficult to set up initially. You’ll need a solid understanding of SysAdmin basics to even get off the ground, since it’ll rely on you having a properly configured web server. You’ll also need to know how to properly secure both the installation, as well as the database Nextcloud runs on. A compromise to either of those points would cause a security issue.

An Unexpected Gem

Greg W.
Immobilien, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I installed Owncloud about 4 years ago, and moved to Nextcloud after the fork. Originally it was kind of a lark-- I had low expectations. Almost immediately I discovered it was a service I use every day, and would never want to do without. Since the fork I've been amazed at the continuing updates which bring better functionality and new features. I'm a committed privacy advocate, and Nextcloud gives me file sharing, contacts, and calendar, in an easy to use interface, all on my own server. Nextcloud Talk, with which I can video conference with my family and business clients, is just icing on the cake. If you haven't tried it, you should, it works amazingly well.

Vorteile: I'm a big privacy advocate, so it is important to me to keep control of my own files, contacts, and calendar, away from the prying eyes of Google and their ilk. The ability to quickly create a password protected folder, and share it with any client or customer, with full read-write capability, is a feature I've come to depend on, on a daily basis.

Nachteile: I miss the ability to link my Google Drive and Dropbox storage but, honestly, I didn't use it that much anyway (privacy issues). Less of a big deal anyway, since I've now been able to upgrade my home internet service, and I can run a second version of Nextcloud on a Raspberry Pi at home, and Federate the connection to my main VPS. That means I can connect as much storage as I need. In the past I've had trouble with some of the updates, but that hasn't been an issue for more than a year. I guess I really have no complaints.

Nextcloud does the job

Renaud D.
IT manager
Bürgerliche & soziale Einrichtungen, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Nextcloud allows us to collaborate with 150+ team members to build our organization's before we release it to our audience.

Vorteile: Multiple accounts / instances synchronization works seamlessly on different desktop OSes. Nextcloud manages document versions quite well and can restore documents that were mistakenly / accidentaly deleted on synced desktops.

Nachteile: It's sometimes hard to know why conflicting versions appear.

analrchy when mutliple folder sharing

Stéphane V.
Engineer
Elektrische/elektronische Fertigung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: The client is good, but it is difficult to uses the history of synced files. Everything is marked as "updated now", and there is no indication if the files have been sent, updated, received, and especially by which user ... In that matter, tools like sharepoint does it better.

Vorteile: It works on raspberry pi (20 Watts only) and therefore it is possible to build a local storage inside my organization with unlimited disk storage and only on intranet (speed up the transfer and uses less bandwith and energy).

Nachteile: The sharing of multiple folders to multiple users is difficult to follow. About 100 filders are quickly shared in the owncloud root folder. One should add a folder synchronization to each of them manually on each client to really share the files (otherwise, it is just an authorization to access the files, that usually never reaches the several clients even if available in the root folder).
A solution to really share (and put the files on the final user hard drive) should be perfect. example : start the sharing of a folder and select which user and where (in which folder of the final user hierarchy) it should start to synchronize : no action on the final user client (mayba an approval ?)

The Number One-Solution for your personal and private cloud!

Oliver P.
Consultant
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, Selbstständig

Kommentare: It has been a great journey from the very beginning to the beta-status of Version 17 (currently in Beta 2). The solution worked out of the box and can be extended with many stable plugins so that there is anything you can dream of which can be implemented - even with writing an app on your own!

Vorteile: Nextcloud appeared from the vast ruins of ownCloud which I always liked, but always hassled with once there was an update. It was vital from the very beginning, it was more open, it was more stable - and everything you needed to get if up and running worked like a charm straight from the scratch. With each version there was not only an evolution, but a refinement of features, an open conversation with the community (something ownCloud really lacked of) and a visible progress. Besides, working and using Nextcloud is just wonderful.

Nachteile: Nothing that would be worth mentioning - indeed there are no negative aspects regarding my use case and the use case of my customers. It would be nice to get a fully-features IMAP-server integrated in Nextcloud, but this is a luxury issue ;) !

NextCloud is a Productivity and Collaboration Powerhouse

Nick T.
Marketing & Werbung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: NextCloud is an incredible piece of software and community of people. It allows you to replace replace big tech monsters like Dropbox, Google docs, Hangouts, and more by hosting NextCloud yourself. You are in complete control of your data.

Vorteile: Self-hosted, easy to install and manage, reliable functionality, quality mobile apps.

Nachteile: Not much! I wish more of the apps/plugins were usable in the mobile app. Sometimes I run across occasional sync conflicts with the desktop apps, which can be resolved, but it could be a smoother and more intuitive process to fix.

Excellent Tool!

Ben Y.
IT
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, Selbstständig

Kommentare: The sync workflow is seamless, and have nothing but great things to say about it, and the add-on plugins are excellent, and the ability to share files with customers and friends is most useful. It's excellent to be able to put aside tools like Dropbox and gain data freedom.

Vorteile: I like the ability for NC to seamlessly sync files between systems, allowing easy access to my files anywhere.

Nachteile: There are a few small features which would be really nice to have, such as automatic selective stub sync to workstations as OneDrive does, allowing you to have a dataset which appears local but only the used files are synced.

Managing Confidential Data with Nextcloud for a Small Business

Andrew W.
Verteidigung & Raumfahrt, Selbstständig

Kommentare: We manage data that has RESIDENCY requirements. We cannot use public cloud companies for data storage. Nextcloud solves that problem for us: we use it for all of our client and company data, and we have high confidence in our ability to keep confidential data PRIVATE. We share our data with customers using Nextcloud 2FA and this just works so well. We use the Nextcloud apps to replace the privacy-mining apps that our standard Android phones otherwise steal from us. Nextcloud rocks!

Vorteile: Robustness. It just WORKS, and it's layered approach to security (where you can add your own layers) gives it World Class security management for your data, if you go to the trouble of implementing it. Simple and intuitive for users and customers to navigate. Incredibly good file sharing capabilities, with 2FA so easy to implement you'd be crazy not to do it! File restore...for when things go wrong at the Users end. Ability to integrate third-party apps and services (Cryptomator, Mountain Duck, sftp file servers) to create a server so easy we WANT to use it (most are so hard to operate but require you to use it...making it less attractive and thus likely not used properly).

Nachteile: Updates are too frequent and sometimes break things that were not broken. Update cycle needs to be a lot slower OR old versions need to be kept running for longer. The update cycle is the thing we fear the most. Sometimes I do so hate engineers. But in fairness, Nextcloud offer subscription options that buy more stability - they just don't offer such options that are attractive for small businesses (sorry guys). Never blindingly fast (but fast enough to not frustrate anyone). Native E2E encryption has not worked well for us, but arguably that makes it BETTER as we now add our own layer: we use CRYPTOMATOR instead as it's vastly superior to any other cloud encryption software.

The best out there

Mark V.
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I use Nextcloud for syncing files. To have full control over who and where they are stored is crucial for me and my clients.
I also use Nextcloud for its calendar and syncing

Vorteile: Open source
Free
Scalable
Secure
Versatile
Expansible with apps

Nachteile: It is hard to convince people that they can have control over their digital files.
Not really a con of Nextcloud, but more a problem with peoples attitude over software and big companies

Next Cloud Over Time

Robert B.
Secretary
Philanthropie, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: We have been using Nextcloud from version 9 or so. It does what i says plus a lot more with little to no interaction from the administer (me). We host our own instance so we have it set up the way we want, and, "We know where our data is".

Nachteile: It is a bit tricky to be hosted in a shared host environment not having a great deal of access ie. sudo. We seem to manage though.

For those concerned with digital autonomy is a must

Bewertet am 21.8.2019
Lecturer

Vorteile: Apparently, Nextcloud does not offer any new or suprising feature: files synchronization and sharing with teams, calendar, contacts, tasks, videoconferences, collaborative document edition... However, not only does each and every of those aforementioned features (and more) within an integrated app and login, but it does so putting users' data and privacy on top. After all, Nextcloud is not a regular service but an opensource software that can be installed and run in your own server/nas and therefore, user has full control of their own data (and, yes, for those who do not want to tinker and manage the software, there are plenty of companies that offer Nextcloud as a service). Some features I like the most are:
* File sync and sharing (of course)
* Real-time document collaboration using LibreOffice
* Calendars
* Contacts
* Mobile apps
* Great community and ecosystem
* It's free. It's FLOSS

Nachteile: It may seem as a simple clone of Google Services at first sight, even though their approach is totally different.
While the software is free, the setup (server, management...) is not free. Some people may think of Nextcloud as a cheap replacement for Dropbox or Drive who may be disappointed if they want to do the move just for money, as it may not be as cheap as those services if they do not consider other reasons such as privacy concerns.

A great solution for folks that want more control over their data.

Bewertet am 27.7.2018
Systems Engineer
Computer-Software, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Centralization of my files and documents, ease of management and use, and desktop/mobile clients for every platform that I use (Windows, Mac, iOS). Additionally, it's completely free and does all the things that I need it to do.

Vorteile: I've been using Nextcloud as a replacement for Google Drive and Google Docs for the last four or five years. It has a ton of really great apps that I can install that can replicate popular Google services. For instance, I can use the Nextcloud desktop and mobile sync clients to have Google Drive like functionality. I can install a calendar app that gives me Google Calender functionality. There are apps for tasks, documents, and e-mail that all work really well, and again, replicate that Google functionality that we've all come to be fans of. However, my favorite feature is the "News" app that lets me setup all of my RSS feeds and view them in a browser. Previously I had used Google Reader, but when Google shut down that product, it left me searching for a replacement. I tried several other options, but eventually stumbled onto Nextcloud. Initially I only wanted to use Nextcloud for the News app, but when I saw everything that it could do, I migrated away from Google entirely and now use my self hosted Nextcloud instance which gives me full control over my documents and files.

Nachteile: The biggest con for me with this application is it never upgrades properly. I use a third party hosting provider called Dreamhost, and whenever I attempt to do an automatic or manual upgrade to my Nextcloud instance, I end up breaking it and have to rebuild it from scratch. I don't know if this is due to something on my hosting provider's end, but every single time I've attempted to do an upgrade it has failed. Additionally, community support can sometimes be lacking. Since this is an open source product, you have to rely on a lot of forum posts and blog entries to find solutions to your problems. Sometiems that can be frustrating.

von Nextcloud an 13.10.2018

Dear user,

Thank you for the review on Capterra! We're very glad you are happy with Nextcloud!

Nextcloud upgrades should absolutely not give any issues - there must be a problem at Dreamhost if they do. In addition, we offer our customers stand-by support when doing upgrades to make sure even large installations upgrade smoothly. Our experienced team is extremely adept at identifying and fixing them quickly!

If you want to get the most out of Nextcloud, consider a Nextcloud Subscriptions to benefit from our expertise and additional functionality like Outlook integration. The community forums are - well that, community forums, only really suitable for home users.

Usefull for everyday use !

Guenael S.
SysAdmin
Bildungsmanagement, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: University employees and academic researchers benefit a 50+GB Nextcloud Personnal & Private Cloud, allowing them to abandon public Clouds !

Vorteile: NextCloud made it simple to synchronize all my datas between my computers & smartphones. So far, more than 1.000 Grenoble Alpes University employees use NextCloud daily ! Easy to use, easy to adopt.

Nachteile: Building a solid HA Nextcloud infrastructure for 5.000 users is a challenging goal for out teams. It was pretty long to qualify/test/setup/deploy every brick of the cluster. But It really was worth the effort.

The best way to take control of your data

Neil B.
IT Manager

Kommentare: Customer can log into their own secure space for file sharing; internal users can collaborate very effectively; Instant Message feature has dramatically reduced email flow; Talk allows you to stay connected with other users anywhere; Federated Servers allow for "branch offices" to be set up quickly and easily.

Vorteile: There are a variety of ways to install Nextcloud (components, snaps, docker, pre-made vm's...), so installation is simple. Once installed, it is LOADED with great features, and very user-friendly! The community Support Forum is very active and responsive.
We have even implemented Nextcloud as both on- and off-premises storage & collaboration solution to businesses as well as individuals.
I have nothing but good things to say about Nextcloud!

Nachteile: I wish I had discovered it sooner!
The first manual install to a LAMP stack was a bit of a learning curve. But, the community Support Forum was very understanding, forgiving, and helped out a GREAT deal.

An excellent file and information manager!

Nathan H.
Schreiben & Editieren, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I have been able to work on writing and editing without regard to where I am, and access my files on the road after a hard drive failure with basically no lost time. My clients love getting secure links to their work without worrying about intellectual properties issues with other cloud providers. Overall, Nextcloud has provided a sense of security and has prevented me from losing work as I travel from home to office to business trip.

Vorteile: The best thing about this software is that file synchronization works flawlessly. My documents and other work are available to me on all of my computers and from the Web anywhere in the world. I can share files or whole folders with friends and clients, and the apps let me edit online, organize my tasks, read my email on the go, and much, much more.

Nachteile: The documentation for manual installation is a little sparse, although it's only really necessary to refer to one other project to complete installation. Once everything's up and running, it's stable and easy to upgrade.

Best known solution for network of NGOs, great emphasis on privacy and open standards

Tim S.
Coordinator for digital tool development
Non-Profit-Organisation Management, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We started with a test period, yet the staff and working groups adopted Nextcloud for their main workflow much sooner than anticipated. Nextcloud's emancipatory approach to document ownership and the sharing logic vs. traditional ACL required some training and new concepts within our teams.

Vorteile: Nextcloud comes with a great flexibility: already with a tiny budget you can get started and meet many of your organization's needs. There are no hidden costs. New features can be added by extensions ("apps") almost on-the-go. Scaling to bigger set-ups is not too difficult. The developers and community are extremely friendly and helpful.

Nachteile: When we started two years ago, features were often not well documented and the upgrade process sometimes caused problems. But the situation has improved dramatically since then.
The approach to end-to-end encryption and its key management is sometimes confusing.

A friendly sharing service you can trust with your data

Mathieu H.
Student

Kommentare: I have a great experience with the software. I have never lost any data since starting using it.

Vorteile: This software is very easy to use once setup. The interface is friendly. You can use it on any device, ios, android or windows (never tried installing the app on linux) or from the web.
I trust them for protecting my data which is self hosted (great option) but accessible from the internet.

Nachteile: It is sometimes a bit hard to setup depending on the environment. It take times to fully read all documentation.
It misses an advance editor online to work with word document for instance.

You Should Switch to Nextcloud

David W.
Electronics Technician
Industrieautomation, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: The abilities to control my own data, share with groups, and have as much space as I want.

Nachteile: The menus for admin and settings are confusing and not intuitive. I think they should be put in one place or consolidated.

Forget Dropbox i have Nextcloud!

Bewertet am 24.4.2018
Joseph N.
Grafikdesign, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I can have all my company's data in a secure place and share files with customers with editing options. I use this for my business everyday!

Vorteile: I was looking for a solution in my company for media storage, assign share links to my client's and employees, to be able to have control over their accounts, make announcements, edit folder permissions, commenting on shared files/links, and all of that is possible for me in Nextcloud! I am blowned away the many feature si am able to use on my everyday basis in my company. Something i really like is the drop file feature, i can make a folder and share that link for upload only, without viewing content etc. It is a huge help to drop suggestions etc. I use Nextcloud with Mountain Duck on my companies computer, this way everyone can access their Nextcloud server like if it was a external hardrive. Also i can get all addons directly from their library,

Nachteile: I would love to have more control over the styles on every elements, even thou it is possible to create my own theme, it would need lot's of coding. Some buttons are not in the best position, i have to rely on custom css to change some buttons.

von Nextcloud an 13.10.2018

Dear Josef,

If you want to get the most out of Nextcloud, don't forget we have Nextcloud Subscriptions available. That improves much on the community help aimed at home users like you'll find on the forums and gives access to additional documentation and capabilities like our Outlook integration, Global Scale and more.

Take care!

It do what it should

Benjamin A.
Software Developer

Kommentare: + Sharing files with customers
+ One central place for your all your office
+ Full control of your data!

Vorteile: It's really easy to use the software and it has more or less every feature you need in the office (calendar, contacts, storage, notes, file sharing, etc.).

Nachteile: Some major updates just has reset settings. But normally they work good.

Best open source file share ever

Engineer
Verbraucherdienste, Selbstständig

Vorteile: I was so tired of paying someone like Dropbox to store my files that I wanted to share, this was simple and intuitive to setup and provides so much flexibility

Nachteile: When I didn’t keep up with the versions I got far behind and had to rebuild to get it back up and running

Nextcloud has changed my life

Stuart D.
Web Developer
Computer-Vernetzung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I discovered Nextcloud as I was searching for a way to share files and collaborate with team members on my business ventures. I was so blown away, that I'm now planning to offer a hosting service centered around Nextcloud.

Vorteile: I love that Nextcloud is open source. I love the philosophy of the Nextcloud company as it works to serve and better humanity by making this amazing software available for anyone to download and use. The file syncing, the ability to integrate many 3rd party networking/storage, the chat/talk communication programs, the SECURITY and privacy, the Deck Kanban app, the mail app, music playing app, and the intuitive structure of the file storage console, and other apps and especially the ability to create your own apps and customize the core app---all combined, this app is wonderful.

Nachteile: The only thing I can say in this regard is that the core team perhaps could take more measures to inform 3rd party app developers of breaking changes that might arise when new versions are released.

Perfect cloud sharing solution

Bewertet am 2.9.2019
Giovanni S.
Managing Consultant
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I was able to install, set up and manage it in a really smooth way, i have been using to upload hundreds of file even of big size, and never had problems

Vorteile: I am using nextcloud since from 4 years, and i found it is really solid, efficient and consistent platform. It can accomplish really well to the service provided. It is also not so difficult to install (but this is true just for expert administrator) and configure. I am using to store personal data, documents and photos and never had any problem. I just would like to have more features available in order to build a multi functional platform. I have been using some app like mail, Note, Task and all flow perfectly

Nachteile: I will appreciate a easy way to share the elaboration of documents.

Great platform to manage small teams and including parnter and customer collaboration

Managing Director
Computer- & Netzwerksicherheit, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: inter-organisation project management and file exchange and versioning. We take significant benefit of the group administration allowing customers and partners to self-manage their team access.

Vorteile: The core features which is file management, synchronisation, and access management are very mature. Different access control strategies can be implemented on top of a simple group management and group administrator concept. The implementation relies on open standards.
I appreciate very much the security centric development focus of the Nextcloud team. There development process follows believably security best practices. Also, security bugs are fixed rapidly compared to other vendors.

Nachteile: - It's based on PHP.
- there is no access control concept for the use of apps yet