Best tool for Newbie & Expert Game Developers

Bewertet am 11.11.2019
Computerspiele, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: My overall experience with unity is quite good, as Ive been working as a Game Developer for over an year, it makes things easier to do, got alot of help through unity forums, and the asset store covers almost evert aspect of Game Development.

Vorteile: Things I like the most about unity is its user friendliness, the UI is easier to understood, is more RAM friendly, and the asset store will cover all your requirements if you dont have enough time to create everything from very scratch.

Nachteile: Cons about the software is its compatability issues, as it happened many times that the project starts misbehaving after new update, so i mostly avoid the tool upgrades.

Not just a game engine

Bewertet am 25.10.2019
Panagiotis K.
Founder & General Manager
Medienproduktion, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I started by making my own game engine and related tools back at 1993-95, in DOS, using Assembly and Pascal. I was successful and I created some small games that we used to play with my friends from the neighborhood. Later I embraced the 3D Construction Kit, an early attempt to a commercial 3rd party game engine and editor. That was awesome and the era of digital creativity was just starting.
After many years, when I created my own company and team of creatives, I was searching for a game engine to adopt as a development platform for us. It was the time before Unity become successful and famous and I remember that I payed for the license through my own PayPal account to the previous Unity's CEO PayPal directly, and got an installer attached in an email the next day. For some reason I had faith on that team of developers and their product (Unity) seemed to be just right on my needs and philosophy. I was a Windows developer at the time, but Unity came only for OSX back then. So I also purchased an iMac to be able to test the development with the Unity editor.
So many years passed from then and I saw Unity grow, from nothing to the behemoth of a company that it is now. And their technologies and tools grow with them.
My overall experience with Unity is great.
Unity is extremely steady for such a huge development environment, and the editor's interface is well organized and has enough abstraction to make learning the environment easy and intuitive.

Vorteile: I guess many things that I like from Unity, is that the creators of this software keep an open mind as to what game technologies are and how they can be used. I always felt that I think in parallel with them.
What I mean is that, I always thought that technologies used in games can be used in many more aspects of the society and I don't mean only for the entertainment media industries.
The Unity authoring environment keeps this philosophy even after many years of their initial offering to the public. Being a truly open ended authoring environment, that allows the its users to be free as creators.
With Unity almost anyone can build video games, interactive experiences, research applications, powerful media presentations, interactive media that cross boundaries between the digital and the physical.
The interface of the Unity editor makes is easy to import various media types and connect them in an intuitive way, and it is also extendable via scripting, to make your own tools and workflows, if you need that extra mile in your pipeline.
Another thing worth mentioning, is that from early on, the developers of Unity, understood that community driven solutions are also a great way to extend a product. So they created the Unity Asset Store, in which they curate a vast collection of tools and content that is created daily from the creatives that support the Unity community. That adds a lot of value to the product both ways, user and supplier.

Nachteile: Unity in general is an excellent software and is offered in tiers that relate well to any level of user. From the free to the professional and beyond, the price is right and the features are awesome.
In reality, I don't have a specific bad thing to mention about Unity, but from my experience I can guess what might count as a negative to some subset of its users.
First of all, and topmost at the forums and discussions, is that Unity now is a huge company and not the kind of company that was when they started at the beginning. This brings positive value, as Unity now can offer much more platforms for the creators to bring their projects and to provide a vast amount of technologies and workflows for any creative person or team at any industry. But to have all that, a company has to be huge, and with that comes a little de-personalization in the company-to-customer affairs. That means that a user needs patience when it comes to receiving support from Unity, especially on technical issues. Personally I don't mind and I accept the trade of personalization in order to have a very powerful interactive media authoring environment, that can really make whatever I wanted it to make.
After all, if you need urgent person-to-person support, there is a paid option for that too, so professionals who really need that service, can get that too.

THE Game engine for videogames

Bewertet am 28.8.2019
Juan carlos G.
Lider de area de desarrollo IA

Kommentare: I worked on several simulators on unity and we managed our goas thaks to this tool.
We animated our models inside, programed the logic of a multiiplayer game on it and handled the assets via our .net code.
Also we programed some devices out side thks to the blue tooth port by the .net port api.
Some plug in on the asset store made our life easier like the scene transcitions one.

Vorteile: Really easy to use (if you know what a game means on terms of codification)
Reallystic physc
Collition handlling
Ambien oclusion
Paralex
compatibility with material editors like sublime.
Integrated animator.
Export on several plataforms and devices
Web port(beta)
Several plans for prices (student , small team)
Compatible with control version
Compatibility with visual studio
Compatibility with 3D like oculus ,etc.
Unity asste store allows you to buy code that solve features you nee dto do
Can create projectts that out put to computer ports.
Compatibility with .net 2.0
And other sevral things that made unity one of the best video games engines.

Nachteile: Small curve of learing at the beging.
The web build suck they are heavy and slow to charge but is a beta feature.
The Vr plug in is expensive.
The not compatibility from newer version to olders.

Dreams comes True with Unity 3D

Bewertet am 9.8.2019
Co-founder and Sales Analyzer
Konsumgüter, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I always wanted to do game development though I am not in the field of Computer related Engineering but still Unity helped me a lot to make my dream come true. I use it not everyday but atleast in a week and have developed so many basic and some mid-range games in which mostly games are 3d open world, so I can say that making an open world game is really more preferable with Unity 3d. I would suggest every newbie to try Unity atleast once if he just wants to develop a game for not a big purpose. Though testing the Unity games on an android device is quite harmful as it may drain battery because Unity 3d cannot export the optimized game for all devices. So many big companies are using Unity 3d for big purpose too but they have a team of specialists who knows coding really well but an indie developer can't do any big with Unity but can surely try his hands on it.

Vorteile: I have always had a passion of Game development and was so much interested in making my own game for fun, Unity 3d helped me a lot doing this in last few years. Unity 3D is one of the best Game Development Engine out there which is open for everyone. The download and setup for Unity 3D is really easy. Unity 3d doesn't require a much memory though to keep it working on a flow we should have atleast 8gb of ram. Unity 3d supports almost every 3d model format. There are a lot of features already present in Unity 3d like to make a terrain or a plain and there are almost every essential geometrical shapes present. Unity 3d has a Professional-looking User interface which makes the work even more exciting. Unity 3d has an asset store from where we can get so many useful models, animations, scripts etc which are quite helpful in quick development purpose. Though there is a lot of work to do in game development to get the best outcome, Unity makes every outcome worth the effort and atleast satisfies us. The best part of Unity 3d is that it can export the game project to a windows .exe file, android app file and for so many other platforms including Consoles. With Unity 3d, we can make 3d as well as basic and even advanced 2d games which are more interesting though requires a hard and detailed work. Unity 3d has the power that so many big company names are developing Battle Rpyale Games with it. Unity 3d Games are quite easy to load and hence gives a high quality output.

Nachteile: Although Unity 3d has a professional user interface but it's way of working that is C# coding is pretty much tough and requires a good coder though it is a problem only if you target to develop a unique and a big game.
Unity 3d has almost all the amazing features but the output sometimes doesn't worth it(not always), as per as my own personal experience I can say that the games made with Unity 3d are not well optimized to work in different types of devices and especially if we are exporting the game project to work on Android, it is not that much optimized which results in battery drain of some devices though this bad affect is nearly negligible in a new and powerful Android device. Unity has an asset store which is useful but the prices are like bad jokes to the newbies in Game development and for small businesses too, the prices are really high. The setup of Unity for basic use is simple but to export the game projects to Android, it is quite difficult to set everything up. Sometimes it can't support the high texturized models or can't optimize the overall game to work fluent with those models.

Game Development on a budget

Bewertet am 6.8.2019
Stacey B.
Developer
Computer-Software, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Unity has allowed me to begin development of game projects that support both mobile and desktop platforms. The common development framework allows for a develop once, build for multiple platform strategy with only minor differences that need to be accounted for, such as user input or display scaling.

Vorteile: Unity provides a robust platform for both 2D and 3D game development. Inclusion of 2d and 3D physics engines help reduce programming required to simulate real world physics interactions between game objects. Multiple rendering pipelines provide optimized solutions for multiple target platforms from mobile devices to high end workstations. Virtual reality support is built in so that additional modules purchases are not required. Unity supports a marketplace for users to submit their add-on modules or prebuilt game elements for free download or purchase. This provides a helpful resource for developers just starting out.

Nachteile: basic Unity development is simple and straight forward. Moving beyond the basics entails a steeper learning curve, reduced if the user already has a C# development background. Backwards compatibility is sacrificed with each major update, requiring re-coding or even staying with older versions to complete project development.

Unity is a great alternative to Unreal

Bewertet am 23.7.2019
Sean U.
Religiöse Einrichtungen, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Its been great. I don't have a finished product that is to be published yet, but Unity has given me all the tools necessary to do so!

Vorteile: Being able to create games is an amazing ability. and Unity makes it a possibility.
- The graphics are amazing
- The amount of tutorials on the internet allow you to become very familiar with the product in very little time.
- The possibilities are only limited by your own imagination and or computing power lol
- The licensing deals when you actually get around to publishing your game are very reasonable.

Nachteile: Like most high-end game creation software, the demand for a computer with great processing power and expensive video cards is a must. If your machine isn't up to the task, creation using Unity can be troublesome. Unreal engine has more in-depth tutorials online and their node system is very easy to learn but Unity does a good job making a name for it's self against the giant that is EPIC Games.

Where the Indie game developers thrive

Bewertet am 17.7.2019
Gonzalo B.
Web Developer

Kommentare: Unity is overall a beautiful piece of software that came to do much of the heavy lifting on low-level tech stuff, allowing smaller teams to develop faster and better games in less time, opening the market to more and more people worldwide.

Vorteile: Unity is, out of the box, a beautiful piece of software. Is the kind of middleware that arrives and does the job, the missing link that most of Indie and small game development teams were looking for. Unity has made it simple and easy to develop a game for beginners and experienced users alike and the most important, allowing you to build your game to a plethora of platforms. Now a small team of developers and artists can build and publish a game in several platforms in no time. Unity does great for small and mid-sized projects, I really enjoy prototyping with Unity, even when I know I won't use it for the project itself I like to use Unity to build prototypes because it's easy and fun. The interface is really easy to use, a real playground for developers and artists alike. Their documentation is vast, well-written and constantly updated. Same with the API documentation and the tutorials that will walk you through making a game end-to-end in few hours, the community forum is also helpful when something is not working and you can't work your head around it. The Unity store has also proved useful when I didn't have the time or knowledge to develop some assets I needed for the game. Unity was also helpful in developing apps beyond games, like architectural explorations, interactive art installations, AR showrooms, etc. Overall a great engine that does much of the heavy lifting for you.

Nachteile: Sometimes I felt that the process of upgrading was quite difficult and scary, you have to install a separate instance of the program (taking a lot of space) and some of the projects can be really difficult to adapt to the new version. Some of the assets will stop working and you will find your console full of errors that weren't there before. Another issue is version control, the binaries are pain and still, I haven't found any alternative than committing blindly the scenes, for example, without being able to track what changed from commit to commit. After a few projects, I have found that the app optimization for mobiles is not that great. For example, if you don't meticulously take care of the textures and assets max resolution you can end up with an app weighing a few hundred megabytes. Could be great if the build itself included some optimization towards the assets.

I can create games too! Game development made easy by Unity

Bewertet am 19.6.2019
Maynard john S.
Research Assistant
Forschung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Unity allowed me to enter and understand game development because it has lowered the barrier of entry for game development. It allowed my team and I to quickly iterate on our game ideas and play test it. Although there are hiccups, these may be addressed in the future and is not a deal breaker that would make me stop using Unity.

Vorteile: One of the reasons I admire Unity is that it has broken the barrier and the lessened learning curve needed to become a game developer. It is an approachable tool for anyone that is interested in becoming a game developer and want to learn how to use a game engine. Although I make it sound like something that new game developers use, the is so much more to Unity. Unity has been used to build multiple award winning games for the mobile and the PC platforms. Unity can be very beneficial for people in small teams or individuals working on 2D/3D/AR/VR games who don't have the resources to build their own game engine. It features multiple tools needed for you to create your game and get it out to the market, and it doesn't stop there as there are also tools for analytics on how your game is doing on the market. Examples of these tools are the All in one editor, AI, Animation, world builder, asset store, analytics, and monetization - basically there are too many to mention but I hope you get the idea. The feature I appreciate the most is its ability to allow for collaboration. Scenes, code, and other assets created by someone else collaborating in the project is conveniently reflected to yours and conflicts with these can easily be solved. And aside from that, I could easily create a rapid prototype of my idea and quickly iterate from it because of how easy it is to do on Unity. Lastly, Unity provides an extensive documentation of its functions and features video tutorials.

Nachteile: Unity has a weird way of upgrading. Whenever a new version of Unity is available, I am forced to download a different instance of unity, and this can take a lot of disk space and time. I also encountered instances where my project broke when upgrading unity and sometimes experience inconsistencies between versions. And something I've experienced on my low-end machine are crashes as the project became larger, which is understandable.

Something that advanced game developers might have to consider though is that Unity uses their version of C# (and probably not a modern version of C#) which performs badly compared to C++ at multithreading.

A great engine for small to mid-range project

Bewertet am 22.4.2019
Line Producer & Sysops Admin
Computerspiele, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We had a great time working on Unity, we pushed the engine to its limit at the time and this allowed us to be featured in many show at Unity's booth. However, as we switched to Unreal3D for the following project, we found a better fit for our needs in that engine. Unity would still be perfect if we had to go work on a less demanding project, less demanding platform and/or 2D projects.

Vorteile: Unity3D is an easy to understand engine, with an intuitive organisation that allow any new developer to get a grip quickly on a new project. Things are getting more complicated as you progress, but support from the community of users makes it easier. The architecture of the folders is simple and allow raw assets to get along easily with integrated ones. This engine is perfect for 2D project and coming up with a prototype in a quick and efficient manner. Starting a 3D project will require more time and optimizations, but the latest versions of the engine are getting better at this.

Nachteile: The main challenge we encountered with our project on Unity was, at the time, the port of the game to consoles. It was very demanding and a lot of updates on the engine were breaking TRC/XR, meaning that we had to wait for fixes before being able to send the builds to console manufacturers and get them certified. On top of that, the engine is trying to compete with other advanced 3D engines, but lack the optimization and "game oriented" architecture that you can find in the heart of other known engines available on the market. This is a great engine for small/mid-ranged project but should be avoided for bigger project that would involve advanced 3D rendering.

An incredibly easy to use piece of kit. A truly expansive and versatile engine.

Bewertet am 9.7.2018
Unity Developer

Kommentare: It encouraged me to learn a new skill while I was a teen, programming. This is incredible useful and I have been using it since to create applications and even prototypes within the Unity engine.

Vorteile: Where do I start with this incredible software. Firstly, would be the scripting capability within the engine. It uses C# which is a managed language based on the .NET framework. This underlying framework in conjunction with the Unity API introduces a lot of useful features for keeping your code clean and concise while also being highly performant. This also includes the ability to create custom editor windows within the Unity Editor which can be customised to fit a specific need, streamlining your workflow. Secondly would be the newly introduced High Definition and Lightweight pipelines. They are preset way of rendering the screen which can either produce high fidelity graphics if you are targeting high end platforms or can be used for a more simplistic look if you are targeting low end mobile phones and tablets. These are highly expandable and can be adapted on a per-project basis to get just the look that you want. Thirdly would be the massive array of platforms that Unity can export your game to. This includes but is not limited to, PC/Mac/Linux, Android/iOS as well as consoles soon including the Switch among others. This allows you to quickly deploy to different platforms so they can be uploaded to the cloud and downloaded by your players.

Nachteile: Unfortunately, a piece of kit this large is not without its drawbacks. One of these being that the dark theme can only be accessed by those holding a Unity Plus subscription. This means that those with slightly poorer eye sight may struggle to read the text throughout the user interface. Another con would be that currently, the Unity interface does not currently scale in size when used on high resolution monitors. This leads to an incredibly hard to read user interface and can become very straining on the eyes after just a short session. However this is soon to be fixed in an upcoming Unity version.

Unity is changing the games industry for the better

Bewertet am 17.7.2018
Senior Producer
Computerspiele

Kommentare: Unity has opened up games development and made it accessible to many more people than ever before, it offers industry leading tools and capabilities with a relatively low cost of entry. The community and support network around Unity is second to none and many great games have been made with the platform.

Vorteile: When we started out in the games industry, there was a time when 90% of your development effort went into the creation of a bespoke "game engine" for whatever game you were making. 10% of the effort went on the unique elements of the game that you were working on. Unity has been part of a middleware wave that started around 20 years ago (such as Renderware, and many other engines before it) which provide a platform for game creation without positioning itself to being the master of a specific type of genre or game type. This has opened up the world of game development to hundreds of thousands of people, because now you no longer need the low-level expertise of developing a rendering engine, it's already there, and although it's maybe not as cutting edge as a bespoke engine of the bigger AAA titles, it is more than adequate for 99% of the games development world. Particularly indie studios who need low costing solutions to games development. Unity is great, it offers cutting edge graphics, amazing physics, animation, scripting and platform compatibility for a very reasonable price (it's free for personal use up until a certain amount of revenue) - it's simply not cost efficient any more to consider developing your own bespoke engine. And what's more, there's a huge and very helpful community of people out there who have probably faced any problem you encounter during development, a quick google and you have your answer.

Nachteile: Unity doesn't have many drawbacks, if anything it's maybe *too* easy to use in some cases and causes asset rippers (or "flippers") to be able to make and publish very low effort titles onto platforms such as Steam for a small profit. Sadly there's no real way of preventing this (and it's certainly not Unity's issue) Unity doesn't have many flaws, it could perhaps offer some better landscaping and world creation tools (a minor point) and it's 2d game creation abilities are definitely improving but not as good as it's 3d development side. Beyond that, Unity is a wonderful tool for any game developer and is here to stay for a very very long time. It just keeps improving.

Unity is a great engine for new and experienced game developers.

Bewertet am 17.5.2018
Lead Backend Developer

Kommentare: It made game development a lot easier. We actually created a virtual reality game and they even had full support for that out of the box when VR was in its early stages. I really enjoyed working in the engine compared to others I've used because of how much time it saved and how easy it was to work with.

Vorteile: Unity is very easy to pick up and play with right away. The tutorials on the website will allow you to create a fully working game within hours of first installing it. Unity also has a community store where you can buy art or programming assets to help you quickly prototype your game. It has a lot of built in features that are easy to work with as well. I've personally used the networking and it took something that was very intimidating at first and made it very easy to grasp and implement. You can build you game to a ton of different platforms including web, Xbox, Playstation, PC, and mobile just by clicking a button. Everything works out of the box. Unity also has a large community so finding answers to questions is pretty easy with a quick google search. The last pro I'll mention is the dev team seems to address issues with the engine quickly and they are constantly adding new features.

Nachteile: There isn't much I didn't like with unity. The only negative experience I had was when the engine started to crash after my project would be open for about an hour. It was an issue with my project specifically, because I had other projects that it didn't happen on. The customer support team didn't really do a great job getting back to me, I would wait weeks at a time for a response. That was a few years ago though, so things could have changed. The only other thing that was difficult in Unity was version control. This largely had to do with the binary files, and I don't know if other engines have a good solution for that. Unity does have a few packages in the store you can buy that are supposed to help but we had no luck with them.

Is unity the best Game engine?

Bewertet am 2.4.2019
Lee K.
Computerspiele, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: When I was considering a game engine for my projects I looked at several different engines such as Unity, Unreal, and CryEngine. By far the easiest engine to use was Unity. There were many people telling me that Unreal would offer better graphics capability but with the advances to the Unity platform, it is getting to pretty even. With the new pipelines that Unity has in place, a developer can choose the pipeline that makes sense for the type of game they want to build. From tiny games to full-featured high-end games Unity has an option for the pipeline. Overall, I am very happy with the Unity platform and will continue to use it for my development projects. I particularly like that with the available paid assets in the asset store even if you can’t program very well you can get a visual scripting extension and still make a complete game using node-based programming.

Vorteile: Pros Unity is really easy to get started with. There are a number of tutorials online made by Unity that allow you to learn while doing. The game engine has access to an asset store that currently has many free assets available for download to use in your projects. Over the past few years, Unity is continuing to develop a better engine with more tools to help developers make great games no matter the skill level.

Nachteile: Cons It’s not really a Con but if you create a product that nets you more than $100,000 in revenue you have to upgrade to plus or pro versions that have a monthly fee to use.

Experienced user

Bewertet am 26.4.2019
Junior Software Developer

Kommentare: I believe most of the things I've already mentioned in the Pros text box but as an addition, i can say that I've done quite a number of games using this engine and it never failed me, neither the engine nor the community. I have amazing respect for the teams behind this engine as their work can surely be seen with each update they come. It's an amazing engine that i highly recommend.

Vorteile: Playing with Unity for a bit over 3 years I've managed to fiddle with everything this engine has. Was able to check its progress update after update and I must say that they deliver what they promise. It's an easy to learn piece of software with an amazing community behind and lots of places to learn how to master it. Almost every idea that comes to mind can be implemented with ease in Unity. I said almost because it's a mature engine with a great number of features that might not be good for small projects and could only cause overhead, minus that is now out of the question with Unity Tiny. In the end all i can say is that it's a gorgeous software that is only getting better.

Nachteile: There were things that dragged Unity down in the past but with each progressive update they fixed their flaws or are fixing as we speak, so in the end, i cannot say that there are any major things i do not enjoy in using Unity.

The best game engine for small and medium teams

Bewertet am 26.4.2019
Senior Programmer
Computerspiele, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: No lies, Unity is really hard to master, but once you get used to it there is no obstacle for You! You can create literally anything with Unity. 2D, 3D, VR, AR ... anything! There is tons and tons of tutorials online. Community is also great. Unity have it's own forum where you can ask anything and you will get answer in short time for sure. Even big companies like Ubisoft and Paradox uses Unity.
So, if you want something that will give you full control of your project and you are willing to learn something new, search no further! Unity is right choice for you!

Vorteile: -You are totally free to do anything
-Unity is constantly improving. More and more features are coming with each update
-Tons of tutorials
-Great community with tons of answers, tutorials, hints and tips
-Free license is more then enough any team
-Free collaboration feature
-Easy use of monetization (ads)
-A lot of built in features
-Great Asset store
-Can export the game to almost any platform
-Great visual graphic

Nachteile: - It is really hard to learn, but once you master it, there is no obstacle
- Isn't good for really big projects. You will have to optimize the game a lot. For small games, you don't have to bother
- UI is hard to master and sometimes unresponsive
- You will have to buy license in order to have dark mode enabled
- Lack of programming languages (only C# supported)

One of the best game development and real-time rendering tools I have used.

Bewertet am 11.7.2018
Renusha A.
Game Designer
Hochschulbildung

Kommentare: I have been using Unity for many years. I have used it mostly to create mobile games. I love the fact that Unity keeps updating regularly and each updates brings great new features. When I was a student I found Unity very useful and as a experienced user I still find it to be one of the great game development tools in the market.

Vorteile: Unity made game development possible for anyone. You no longer have to be a designer or a programmer to create games. Unity is a user-friendly software with a great deal of unique tools that helps you design any sort of game. However, Unity being simple does not mean that it is only for beginners. As you start learning Unity you will find that it has a large variation of tools for advanced users. Unity also supports PC, console, web and mobile platforms. Unity also provides great learning materials which you can find on their website. You can also be a certified Unity developer by doing the online training and examination.

Nachteile: I was disappointed that I need to travel to certain countries to face the Unity developer certification exam. I would like if it was an online examination so that anyone can do it. I also do not like the fact that the certification is only valid through a certain period of time.

The game dev software I have been searching for

Bewertet am 16.7.2019
Taylor B.
Director of Software Engineering
Computerspiele, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I have been able to create the games I have drafted on paper and it has also taken my coding skills to the next level learning coding techniques popular in game dev that were totally new to me. Their asset store has tons of free assets to get you going and building a prototype for a game very quickly if you have the coding skills to do so.

Vorteile: Writing code in C# and integration with Visual Studio or Visual Studio Code and the ability to run the game code with debugging turned on and setting break points to troubleshoot the code.

Nachteile: It takes patience to learn this software, but that was expected as this is a serious game dev product and not some drag-and-drop game creator. It was worth the effort and there are tons of resources online to help learn.

Best Engine for Indy Devs.

Bewertet am 22.5.2019
Luis daniel R.
Lead Application Developer

Kommentare: Overall Unity has helped and has inspired me on my Game Development dreams over the years. I have yet to fully commit to it, but every time I use it, I can feel that my C# and coding skills can be used to do what I have in my mind and it motivates me because every time I use it, I achieve one personal goal.

Vorteile: Honestly Unity super user friendly and it has an amazing community behind it. You can find easy videos even provided by Unity with templates that can get you started on your path of Game Development. You can also use it to easily learn C# programming and at the same time if you know C# or any kind of language, it's easy to jump into the engine. The Interface is really well organized and working with it a lot of times you'll feel like it's just drag and dropping once you learn how to use it. The free tier is amazing for indy devs that are starting or even for projects in other spaces like AR or VR. I am using Unity on my own personal project and hopefully someday I'll be able to publish my project but for now, I'm amazed and I still think of the platforms I want to reach, since you can easily use one source to publish on iOS, Android, Nintendo Switch, Xbox, Playstation, PC, Browser, Linux, Mac and I wouldn't be joking if Unity someday ran on a toaster <3.

Nachteile: Wish some of the Pro features like Dark Mode or Animated textures were available on the free tier. Also if you could use the Pro or Plus Memberships and be able to cancel them without having to commit to the full year plan.

Powerful tool for beginners and experts

Bewertet am 12.10.2017
Programmer / Game-Designer

Kommentare: We are using unity as basis for most of our games, so everything we do kind of evolves around Unity and it's tools.

Vorteile: Unity is a powerful tool both for beginners and for experts, I most like about it that it makes your job as a game developer much easier. You don't have to take care of things that can be very time-consuming like creating builds for several plattforms and creating network connections. The program itself already has a lot of features and tools, but the asset store is what makes it to one of the most pratical ones - thousands of useful assets (models, sounds, tools) can be used for free or bought in the asset store and is imported easily in your project. The price range is pretty good, the free version already has a lot of features and the cheap "plus"-version should be sufficent for most smaller studios.

Nachteile: Unity can be very memory and also cpu-consuming and tends to crash from time to time, which can result in a significant loss of time. Also problematic are older projects and assets, as unity is updated frequently and backwards-compability, especially for asset-store items, is not always given.

Unity Is Great for Indie Developers

Bewertet am 29.4.2019
Kimberly M.
Computerspiele, Selbstständig

Kommentare: As an independent game developer, I need an engine that allows me to produce high quality games while being easy to use. I tried many other engines, but Unity offered me the right number of technical features and advancements in an easy to use platform. I use the engine because it allows me to publish to virtually any platform without additional modification easily. I also like that to create iterations of my builds I simply have to make my modifications and rebuild the files and upload the changes. I do make use of some of the available system assets from the asset store and most are easy to modify. Finally, I am also able to create and upload my own assets to the store for additional revenue during the sometimes-long development times of my projects. For me it was the right choice for my business and I would recommend it if you’re just starting out or if your looking for a full featured game engine.

Vorteile: Super Easy to get started with.
Easy to use complete assets available from the unity Asset Store.
Unity Is always evolving and keeps adding new features and Technology.
1000’s of tutorials online that help even a novice make and publish games to any platform.

Nachteile: While there is no licensing fee based on percentage there is a required monthly fee if your game brings in over $100,000 in revenue.

One of the Easiest Game Engines to Use

Bewertet am 6.5.2019
Holli H.
3D Designer
Computerspiele, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: When I need to import and test a model I have created Unity allows me to do this very easily. The setup for each model takes no time at all and the engine has a simple animation workflow with the editor’s features. For the most part, I learned the engine very quickly after coming from another product to Unity and once I got the basics down everything kind of fell in place. The engine is always being updated and new features are being added. I fully believe that this engine is going to continue to develop into an amazing tool for game creation. I fully support Unity and highly recommend it to anyone wanting to make games.

Vorteile: • Thousands of tutorials available online including free courses directly through the Unity website.
• Easy to use when considering some of the learning curves with other advanced engines.
• Cross-Platform support available to publish on multiple platforms with ease.
• Make both 2D and 3D games with a simple button click.
• Fast and Helpful Tech Support.
• Free Version is available to learn the platform and even make free games.

Nachteile: • Uses Monodevelop for the coding IDE, but you can change this to use something more robust.
• The terrain system is not the greatest however, there are 3rd party plugins that can offer the needed systems for high quality development.

An indie game devs dreams come true

Bewertet am 10.4.2018
Matt J.
Unity Guy

Kommentare: Changed my professional career.

Vorteile: I wish Unity would have been around when I was a kid. I had aspirations to make games, I filled notebooks with game design and took programming classes... but I just couldn't pull it together on my own or meet the people that could have done it with me. Ever since Unity came along, all of that has changed. It covers the low level stuff that allows designer/developers like me to focus on the gamebuilding. I can't say that I've been a runaway success, but I've accomplished more as an adult- thanks to Unity, than I thought I ever would once I gave up on my dream in my late teens and focused on becoming a "regular" programmer.

Nachteile: It certainly isn't perfect. It has quirks and flaws, just like any other real world thing. All of those things are extensively documented across the net, and what is a blocking problem for some people goes unnoticed by others. That being said, the people Unity are working constantly to deliver requested features and make their users happy.

Great game engine for small and large projects, in constant evolution and with a huge community.

Bewertet am 11.5.2018
Content Manager
1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Unity allowed me to easily try new concepts quickly without compromising a cent (like GM2 which is limited until you pay) and then, move from a simple concept to a full project easily. The code version storage (cloud) is perfect if you have a laptop and desktop so moving the code from one play to another can be done just with 2 clicks--literally, and it's integrated on the engine interface!

Vorteile: Even without a visual scripting (like GMS or UE4), Unity is in my experience the easiest engine to learn. Additionally, newcomers can move really fast from creating simple games to more advanced creations. The documentation is really useful and installer includes Visual Studio which is just amazing for the task. Unlike other engines, Unity can run on older or less powerful machines (as dev or player). Also, the community is supportive, collaborative, lots of tutorials and documents can be found online.

Nachteile: My only complain is how official tutorials are made. They are great to show the overall of the engine functionalities but not to understand the context of each element. It's more like step by step on how to achieve something instead of why are we using the stuff used on the tutorial to achieve it. They are useful, but they could go a lot deeper.

Easy to create videogames(main focus), AR, VR and apps, with tons of features. Has a big community.

Bewertet am 5.6.2018
Chrystian S.
Mid Senior game programmer and Jr. game designer

Kommentare: Fast and iterative process.
Easy to start making videogames (although knowing the bases helps a lot)
Cross platform compilation adn prodcut development
Lots of variety on the projects you can do with it.
Big community and nice support.

Vorteile: Easy to use and do most of the heavy lifting necessary for videogames creation, and other media related software. It is cross-platform (build once deliver in multiple platforms) and its super effective to create game prototypes and iterate over them. It has a very big community and a store with a lot of user created content where you can find a lot of features out of the box besides the ones in the engine. Really good tool to start AR/VR and videogame development.

Nachteile: The compiled files for mobiles are bigger than more simpler engines, but it gives you way more tools to work. Its easy to use, but you still need some technical skills. The pro license is expensive, but they take none of your royalties. It's hard to achieve AAA game results, for that to happen you need some serious skills.

Required for any type of beginner game development

Bewertet am 4.6.2019
Judah M.
Computerspiele, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I use unity in a professional context with my company, an indie game studio, specializing in Virtual Reality.
I started out not knowing how to code (I just did level design), but with Unity's tutorials, I became a pretty proficient programmer.

Vorteile: It's extremely easy to pick up and learn, which is great for anyone just starting out with game development . Additionally, despite the ease of use, all of Unity's tools are super powerful, and even the most AAA of developers/studios can make amazing games. And, if there's a feature not built in, you can just download a plugin from the Asset Store.

Nachteile: To start, by default the games Unity makes don't look too great. It requires lot's of tinkering with post-processing to get the visuals realistic. Though I said it's a positive that you can download any feature you want from the Asset Store, that also means that the main editor itself is pretty barebones. Yes, with every major release there is new features added, but still there are a few essentials that most other engines have built in already.