A Charmed Drafting App

Bewertet am 3.7.2019
Michael Y.
COO
Architektur & Planung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Okay, all software, even the *really expensive* stuff, has things that aren't bugs, but which bug you. MacDraft just seems to have fewer of them. Its deficiencies notwithstanding, this thing is my favorite design tool except for pencils. I look forward to using it every day. It's 'craft-based'. Which means, in my (cough cough) rather long experience, I've found that the simpler the tool, and the more craft is involved in its use, the more powerful it actually is. Think of pencils, for example. Or a Japanese carpenter's toolkit: two saws, two planes, a couple hammers and a set of chisels in an old wooden box with a snap line and some ink. Get a bunch of these guys together and they can build a temple, perfectly, really fast. MacDraft can claim some of that in digital terms: It's pretty minimal, but so far there's not much I can't do with it. Each drawing seems fresh because there's nothing standardized in it, it's all stuff Iactually drew and *meant*. And somehow that comes through, that somebody thought about and 'touched' everything in there and consciously put it where it is. I don't know why that comes across, but it seems to, and I think clients notice it, again subliminally maybe -- but a lot of good design is like that.

Vorteile: About six months ago while searching for a simple drafting app for small projects around the office, to use when I didn't want to fire up CAD, I downloaded a trial version of MacDraft. To my surprise I began using it right away on almost everything — full presentations, maintenance instructions, info manuals, notes, letters that needed a sketch in them, doodles. I haven't looked back. So far no regrets about canceling my subscription design package. Though I still use a 3D modeler and occasionally import images from it, mostly I make perspective sketches inside MacDraft. Its page layout and presentation tools are, I think, brilliant and straightforward. I've been using and contributing to design and modeling software for 35 years, but as it's gotten more sophisticated, it's gotten intrusive, and I'm even a little alarmed at how it influences how we work. MacDraft, though, is just a very competent, clever drawing and illustration app with a suite of good drafting and dimensioning tools. With that you can do almost anything. It's not automated, there are no `workflow` considerations. You can start anywhere and just make what you like. And it has minimal `cognitive overhead`; it doesn't much condition what you design. Which I find tremendously fun and refreshing, like drawing on paper, only you have precision, dimensioning, and you can rearrange everything. I think our clients are more engaged with our presentations now, and they seem more involved, which I like.

Nachteile: Even with the new 64 bit architecture, MD is boggy if you have imported a lot of photos without trimming them down quite a bit (which you can do inside the app). But still. I think this can be fixed. The new UI is beautiful to behold but, with the absence of floating palettes, you have to move around a lot more now to picking tools, then choosing modifiers on the other side of the screen. If there were programmable shortcut keys, even just five or ten of them, that would make things much easier, and faster. You wouldn't have to look away from the drawing, which helps. It's still a bit unstable. I see other users notice this. It's mandatory to make frequent, serial updates, especially if you did something tricky or the app sputtered for an instant. The following things alarmed me at first (and they should probably be remedied):
1. You cannot trim an arc or a spline.
2. You cannot pull parallel lines off arcs or splines.
3. You can't snap to intersections.
4. You can't batch trim lines.
5. You can't snap to lines, just endpoints.
I thought these were deal-breakers at first. They turned out not to be, as most of that functionality can be achieved easily by other means (clever tool set). That said, they *are* deficiencies. These features are commonplaces in drafting apps. They would make the program substantially stronger. I would guess that a lot of potential users run across them, and before they figure out the workarounds, they get discouraged miss out.

Very useful 2D CAD tool

Bewertet am 4.7.2019
Sisto Z.
Mr.
Design, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Generally the graphic interface (UI) of this version is closer to the way other 2D CAD works and for my activity MacDraft 7.x it's ideal.

Vorteile: The new 7.x version is certainly more user friendly than all previous versions.
Better stability.
Better speed.
All the necessary tools are just a mouse click away.

Nachteile: However I would like to underline two aspects that I would like to personally change:
1) It would be nice if the actually list of various fonts, showed their real graphic appearance, otherwise for the desired choice, I necessarily to scroll through and view them all and it is a waste of time.
2) For small projects where only one A4 sheet is enough, the one-page scroll on the 27 "screen is too reactive at the touch of the mouse; sometimes it comes out of the visible area and makes it take a little time to bring it back in the working position.
Certainly this is useful with worksheets greater than A4 in the landscape version.
It would be really useful if the user could activate or deactivate this function directly from the "Preferences" panel.

von Microspot an 5.7.2019

Hi Sisto,

Thank you for the great review! We really appreciate it. You can actually do this with text:
1) Write some text
2) Hit CMD + T to open the font book
3) Click the font book so it is active
4) Select any font
5) Use the up and down arrows to scroll through the fonts and they will update live in the document :)
As for the 2nd issue of scrolling, could this be down to the scroll speed of the mouse? You can change that in system preferences OR you could hit the 1:1 tool to better zoom out. I hope you see this response but I will also email you it :)

Thanks again Sisto!

MDP 7 - Personal thoughts

Bewertet am 19.6.2019
Ivan H.
Product Design Teacher
Bildungsmanagement, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I like the program. I want to use it seriously but unfortunately in its present iteration, I cannot.
As previously said, I have lots of experience in using lots of CAD software, I would like you to have a rethink of the workflow issues.
For reference, please take a look at http://www.ilexsoft.com/highdesign/
The workflow is pretty good but I do get a few issues using it on my macbook air.
It looks like they are developing it to be full blown BIM, which I don't need - hence the switch to MDP.
Simple, workflow efficient 2D cad with awesome output possibilities is what I need.

Vorteile: On the whole, it is a good CAD tool with fairly good features which I really want to use as my primary CAD software solution.
I like the fact that it can be easily used for 'graphics' and 'page layout' too.
I can use it on my Macbook air.

Nachteile: To be honest, I like the software but your workflow really does need addressing for me to use the software for serious architectural designs.
As I have moved from seriously high end CAD programs and use it for small architectural projects as well as the possibility for using it in school for CAD/CAM and presentation.
I sooo want to be able to use MDP for all architectural projects but in its present form (I know that you have added lots of features from the previous version), I just cannot use it due to workflow issues. When drawing architectural elements, something which should take just a couple of mouse clicks in other software programs, ends up taking significantly more in MDP.
I have logged a lot of this in the forums - your response has been fairly quick but the solutions come across as a long winded 'work around' to achieve a relatively simple task. This is the reason why I am not currently using the program daily or weekly.
I want to be able to offset angular lines in just a couple of click with specific dimensions, not just dragging them and relying on grid snaps. The solution given in the forums was painfully long - you could not afford to do it in practice.
I want to have the ability to have full customisation of dimensions - leader lines and weights, arrow heads, scale/size of everything. Currently, the tool is too constrained.
I want to be able to create symbols at various scales and drag and drop them into a drg and they will be the correct size. I can go on..

Hi Ivan,

Thank you for the honest review. We would love to hear more on how we can improve the workflow of MacDraft for you. We will take a look at ilexsoft and try an incorporate improvements in the future. In reference to the library items, we draw them all to scale, so they will appear scaled on different layer scales, you can drag an item in UNscaled by holding the shift key as you drag it in.

We hope to hear from you soon! Please get in touch via support@microspot.co.uk

Phil's MacDraft Pro 7 upgrade reactions

Phillip J.
Architect / Owner
Architektur & Planung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I have been able to move from my previous version without much difficulty. Probably because I have kept my work simple.

Vorteile: The drafting tools and other left side menu items that I use have remained the same. I have not yet tried to make my own library items and hope to do that too because many of the default images are not useful to me.
I have found out that I can change the black background to a lighter color by upgrading my OS but I have always been afraid of messing up what I am used to. Someday I'll make that jump. Ability to shade that to a lighter gray would be nice.
The page selection allows me to make up a border or a graphic that would open with the page selection. I am looking forward to having that set up on my version. If only I had time to practice all these options.
I'm still woking on it but the DWG has proven to be a little problem. As I get used to it I think I will like it as the tool to send out CAD drawings that can be translated to others programs. Presently I need to put it through my 'Vectorworks' to have a DWG that others can work with.
I think this is moving to a more professional and respected by others program.

Nachteile: The side panels previously in menu boxes on the side seem to take a lot of room. I cannot remove them because they are constantly in use. As boxes I could move and rearrange them and omit some of them. I miss that option. I really miss the options to have line options, level option and alignment boxes opened at the same time.
Some of the key options are eliminated such as bring to front or to back.
An item copied from a PDF or the library land on the page as a much reduced image. Translated from a PDF they land in the upper left corner rather than where I click for them to land. Sometimes this takes too much time to recover them and stretch them to the correct scale.
Locating the writing icon on the page is difficult. I would like it to show up a little darker. On the last version the icon would break in where I selected and now it lands at the beginning of the paragraph. The icon is so light I cannot tell where it is located.

Hi Phillip,

Thank you for the review! Great to hear you're getting to grips well with MacDraft 7.

We fully understand why you might miss the palette system, we are always open to new ideas so if you would like to discuss further how we might better implement the single screen system we would love to hear from you via support@microspot.co.uk.

Much Needed Revamp!

Ellie S.
Director of Sales - Lighting
Unterhaltungselektronik, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Absolutely love it. I don’t miss the previous versions at all. I have been using MacDraft since 2014, and this new version was definitely needed. Checked all the boxes!

Vorteile: I am easily able to import and manipulate CAD files. Most of my clients work in CAD and it would be so frustrating with previous versions when the files wouldn’t open or wouldn’t be compatible. It also eliminated any issues exporting my MacDraft files to CAD. Also, having all the tools available is great! When they were on individual palettes, I would frequently “lose” the palette when I was working with multiple monitors.

Nachteile: Not all items will import, and will just eliminate them from the drawings. There have been one or two instances when the file I was sent was using some feature in CAD that macDraft didn’t have and I was missing a large chunk of the drawing. Also, when I group items together to make one item, and then try to line it up with other items, it still recognizes each individual item instead of recognizing all items as one item. This can be frustrating because I have to make sure I select the exact part of the grouped items. This is minor but not an issue I had with previous versions.

Hi Ellie,

Thank you for such a great review! You refer to CAD throughout your review and I imagine you mean DWG/DXF files. If you have files that you know are missing data, along with an image of what the file SHOULD look like please send them over to support@microspot.co.uk and we can take a look. We majorly improved DWG/DXF support in MacDraft 7 (as you mentioned) but if we can improve it even more then that will benefit everyone! :)

P.S. the align functions not recognising groups is a bug which has now been fixed. We will have a free update (7.0.1) going out next week.

Microspot Team

Great product for interior design business

Bewertet am 25.3.2017
Jennifer L.
Interior Designer / Owner
Design, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Love this product...have been using for about 10 years. Run it on my iMac and MacBook Air. Current 6.2 version is the best to date. I was trained on AutoCad back in school and before opening my own business, used AutoCad at the various firms I worked for. When I started my own business I needed a drawing program, but one that could easily work with an iMac. I was happy to find MacDraft. The transition between AutoCad and MacDraft was pretty seamless, there are differences between the two programs, but if you understand the basics of cad drawing, there should be no issues. I use MacDraft for everything design related...furniture plans, cabinetry elevations in bathrooms and kitchens, designing custom furniture, tile detail. Highly recommend this program. And customer service is great...always able to connect with someone who wants to help.

Vorteile: Price point, Easy to get started. Easy to use. Drawing line weights always look professional.

Nachteile: I miss some of the features that are on AutoCad. Dimensioning things can sometimes be a real task. Lining things up, copying small images...I do lots of tile design for bathrooms and kitchens, and getting real detailed and lining things up and be a challenge with this program. I've also found that if I've worked on a document over and over again, which some of my projects take months to create, the document seems to have weird layout issues. Shapes refuse to line up and when I copy and paste, things are completely out of whack. I've learned many things by trial and error on how to manipulate the program, but after all this time using this product, still catch myself trying to do auto cad shortcuts.

MacDraft Pro continues to improve and add features but is still as simple to use as ever

Bewertet am 6.12.2016
Gary C.
now reitred
Glas, Keramik & Beton, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I've been using MacDraft since v. 1 in 1985. Back then it was as easy to use as Apple's MacDraw but could accurately maintain scaling when moving an image from one drawing to another with each drawing in a different scale. Now, with many more features and capabilities, Mac Draft 6.2 is still extremely easy to use. This new 6.2 release has a variety of GREAT new features but without a doubt, my favorite is the "page centering" feature. In the past when you opened a drawing and dragged out the size of the window you were using, it was almost always a two-step process: you placed the size of the window you wanted on your screen and then you'd move the image where you wanted it in that window which invariably was in the middle of the window. Now, from the first placement of the window to subsequent adjustments, your image is always in the center of the window regardless of whether you are resizing from the right or left side. This centering of your document also provides an extra benefit: the Dead Zone. Not as macabre as it sounds, the Dead Zone is simply a place off to the side of your document where you can place objects that you do not need in your image at the moment but do not wish to delete. So, whether it be furniture, straight lines, or sizing rectangles, simply move them off the document you are working on onto the gray "dead zone," and they will simply just "sit there" waiting to be used or not. And anything off the document will not print. So, such objects are "off" but not forgotten--just there when you need them. Other great new features are custom guides (dragged from the ruler) as well as Smart Snapping of objects where the top, center, and bottom of an object can snap to another object at the same points. The Welcome screen provides a variety of help features but if that's not enough, there is also a new Helper Palette that will provide basic instruction on any of the tools. Besides the Help provided in the Welcome window, there is also a "New" tab with both blank documents and many templates to help you get started in a variety of directions. And yes, there are all of your recent documents for you to continue to work with. Despite all of the many new features (I've only pointed out a few). The overall MacDraft application is still the same MacDraft that longtime users have enjoyed for years. Easy to use with powerful performance.

Vorteile: Ease of use and powerful capabilities

Nachteile: Occasional bugs that need to be addressed. (Not as if I've ever seen any software to be bug-free.)

Deceptively Powerful, Easy to Use CAD

Bewertet am 18.6.2019
Robert S.
President & CEO

Vorteile: I'm biased because I have been using MacDraft continuously for thirty years, but I believe it is very usable and full-featured for its modest price. The latest version has made substantial improvements to the interface, incorporating clever ways to make commands accessible while still leaving plenty of real estate on the screen for designing. With a little practice, an amateur like me can create very precise drawings and designs, and do so rapidly. Printouts are clean and accurate.

Nachteile: The latest release (7.0) is a little buggy . I expect that the issues, which are minor annoyances rather than major flaws, will be resolved in the next version; but it is a shame they were not addressed before launch. The interface is not very customizable, so there is no way to hide or move features that I seldom use. But you can't have everything.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the review :) Its great to hear that you are continuing to enjoy MacDraft!

You are right, there were a few bugs in the release version which were brought to our attention from users such as yourself. You'll be glad to know that the upcoming 7.0.1 (free) update address those.

Thanks again and keep enjoying MacDraft 7

Microspot Team,

MacDraft Professional 7

Bewertet am 9.7.2019
Mike I.
Architect
Architektur & Planung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: If one were coming at version 7 for the first time, it probably is easier to get used to, than if one has been a MacDraft user for a number of years. I have not enjoyed using version 7 and continue to use my older versions for most of my work.

Vorteile: I have been a MacDraft user for over 15 years and found it is an easy and comprehensive drafting program to use for my architectural practice. It was easy to learn, inexpensive to maintain, and had excellent graphic quality.

Nachteile: The version 7 has been difficult to get used to. The revised desktop is drastically different from previous versions and had to be totally relearned. While one used to be able to view all the tool menu bars at the same time on the screen, now one must continually switch between 4 different drop down menus to access alignment tools, layers, and colors and patterns. It is not nearly so convenient. There is little about the new version I find improved, other than the template set-up options for sheet layout.

von Microspot an 17.7.2019

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the review, I will be getting in touch to see if I can help you out on the latest version. Its a shame you are finding the new layout difficult to use so we would like to help.

Easy to use, versatile, stable, affordable 2-D CAD

Art A.
Design, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I use scale drawings in my workshop, going to the print shop, getting building permits, and sharing with contractors. It's never let me down.

Vorteile: I've been using MacDraft since the late 1980's. I've used it for everything from designing simple posters to very complex buildings costing 6 figures. Version 7 is a major upgrade with refinements of its interface and individual tools. I'm always nervous when software makes a big version change. The switch to version 7 has been smooth and free of anything but good surprises.

Nachteile: Some keyboard shortcuts were changed between version 6 and 7. But I see the logic in the changes and I am adapting.

Hi Art,

Thank you for the glowing review. Its great to know you have stuck with us for coming up 40 Years! We would love to see some of your work, drop us an email at support@microspot.co.uk or find us on Facebook (Microspot Ltd).

Old Hand

Bewertet am 8.7.2019
Bob M.
Architect
Architektur & Planung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I have almost 200 houses in the design process at varying stages and without Macdraft I would be a million miles behind by now.

Vorteile: It's ease of use, very much like using a drawing board select a pen draw a line with it, what can be easier, I design house and find the software suites me just fine, I have been using it since it first launched.

Nachteile: The present Pro 7 issue is wonderful and most of the initial links have been sorted, I would dearly like to re arrange the side panels and custom them much lieke the top tool bar also make them adjustable in width as the Layer panel has very little room for labels and able to see the scale.

von Microspot an 10.7.2019

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the fantastic review! Its great to hear you say 'very much like using a drawing board select a pen draw a line with it, what can be easier' this is exactly our intention with using MacDraft as a draftsman's table!

Satisfied new user -

Delmar M.
General Manager
Kunststoffe, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We had been using a very simple drawing software that hadn't been supported for several years. For us, it worked as good as we needed. When it ultimately quick working because of equipment upgrades etc. we were at a loss for a simple drawing program. MacDraft Professional 7 has allowed us to provide the simple drafting projects we need for our customers as well as for our manufacturing team. It's also allowed us to design new equipment and procedures internally. We are amateurs when it comes to drafting programs. If it was too complicated or time consuming, it wouldn't have worked for us. MacDraft Professional 7 is turning into exactly the software we need to support our business.

Vorteile: Every day I'm learning how to use this software, it's capabilities, and how it can support our manufacturing team and our customers. It's easy to use from the first download and your growth can be as fast as the time spent working with it. It will do everything we need plus.

Nachteile: I'm yet to find a con for this software. If I had to say something, I'd say that it's more complicated than what we'd been using which has led to more time to learn how to use it.

Hi Delmar,

Thank you for the fantastic review. We really appreciate it. Im not sure what else to say other than if you need anything in the future please do get it touch but it sounds like MacDraft 7 is doing great things at TRAX and we would love to see some of your work!

Long Time MacDraft User and Still Happy

Michael T.
Design, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I have been a MacDraft user for at least 15 years... maybe 20. It just gets better for 2-D drawings. I use Chief Architect software for most of the drawings we need to do but using MacDraft for elevations and small details and then importing the drawings as PDFs into Chief Architect makes the work flow much better. I would like to have MacDraft training videos that showcase the new features when they are introduced.

Vorteile: With the recent upgrades, the system works much more smoothly on my Mac. While I have yet to grasp all the new features in this current version, I try to take one feature every week or so and get familiar with it... adding it to my skill sets.

Nachteile: There still are some cranky elements... like when doing dimensioning and being able to start a measure and end where it should. And "releasing"a tool still seems to be a bit of an issue... when wanting to go to another tool.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the great review :) We hope to have new training videos available soon!

I recommend turning on 'Object Snap' when using dimensions as this will snap to the points on objects you are trying to measure, it might make it easier for you.

Microspot team

Easy of use of MacDraft 7

Bewertet am 18.6.2019
Kevin G.
MF
Design, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: The help line and over the phone knowledge of the tech support is second to none.
These guys are so helpful and nothing is a issue to them, the best software I have used for years,

Vorteile: Very easy to get round the tool bar, lines- objects- the list goes on and on, so much easier than Autocad.

Nachteile: Nothing brilliant software to use with know issues

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the glowing review! We really appreciate it, let us know if you need anything and we will be sure to help!

Replacing the Old with the New

Bewertet am 4.7.2019
Edward H.
Owner's Rep, Construction Manager
Bau, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: All in all, I'm ecstatic with Microspot MacDraft, 6.2 and 7, as I am now using modern equipment and technology with the ease of my old, trusted program from way back when - all at an affordable price. AND, when I had questions, I was able to write to England, and invariably the next morning a reply would be waiting for me. AND, when my backup thumb-drive for 7 didn't arrive via international mail after several weeks, they sent me another, which contains both versions 6.2 and 7. Fantastic software and customer service, would highly recommend!

Vorteile: I originally bought "MacDraft" back in 1996, and installed it on a Macintosh Performa CD. Many years passed, and I used it to design several houses and projects, and became quite proficient with the software, even though I was limited by the hardware involved - small screen, ancient printer , no ability to email, no ability to download to thumb drives - until finally this year, I could no longer find ink for my printer. So, I searched the Internet, and found this program to be affordable, modern, and with nearly the identical menus, tools, and libraries. Now I use it on my IMac, and a Brother Pro Series printer. Fantastic!

Nachteile: I was initially sent MacDraft Professional 6.2, until the MacDraft Professional 7 release. I actually thought 6.2 was intuitively easier. With the release of 7, some of the tools have been switched to the right side, where before everything was on the left - I don't like the back and forth with the mouse that 7 requires. Also, 6.2 had a light background, whereas the background on 7 is black, which to me makes it a bit more difficult to find the tools I want.

von Microspot an 5.7.2019

Hi Edward,

Thank you so much for the glowing review. Its great to know you were happy with the 6.2 place holder before the release of version and have continued to enjoy 7! One thing I would like to point out is that if you are on Mac OS 10.14 or higher you can switch between light and dark mode via Apple > System Preferences > General.

MacDraft 7 The First Month

Bewertet am 10.7.2019
John C.
Director of Production Services
Eventservice, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I love MacDraft it is super fast and really like 7 with the autosave Time Machine saving version, but still, need to trust more not a MacDraft issue but a MacOS one :) The new version has excellent DXF and DWG capabilities and is much faster than version 6. Overall it is a great upgrade.

Nachteile: One significant disadvantage for me is the locked Tool Palettes I cannot mix and match them like in version 6. I can not even put them on a 2nd screen. It misses with my workflows, and it is funny how it bugs me. It right now is the biggest reason I have jump all in on. The other small reason is I can not save to version 6 don’t get me wrought I understand why but I would have preferred it to have happy in 7.3 let us say. To get time to be able to work out all the newness of 7.

von Microspot an 11.7.2019

Hi John,

Thank you for the great review! We understand your reaction to MacDraft going from floating tool palettes to a single screen app but hopefully you will come to love it in the near future.

The only drafting program I use for the last 35 years

Bewertet am 16.8.2017
David Y.
PRESIDENT
Architektur & Planung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: 1. I run my company on it ( dydesign.com)
2. My customers love my speed and presentation.

Vorteile: 1. Use of color on architectural/ presentation/ design - is the best.
(I am famous for my colored plans)
2. Speed and easy to change your mine using "command z".
3. Graphic Design, and Architecture on the same format.
4. Communicating with other programs is possible.

Nachteile: 1. Since I started using it ( 35 years ago) its crashing. (6.2 when you try to duplicate)
2. Some CAD is not compatible. (the ones with 3D component )
3. You cant vectorize fonts.
4. You cant arch text.
5. You cant create shadows like in "ILLUSTRATOR"
6. Library should be bigger .
7. BIG PROBLEM WITH PRINTING.
I have to convert to jpg before printing -PAIN IN THE NECK!!

von Microspot an 16.8.2017

Hi David, thank you for the glowing review, we really appreciate it! What seems to be your issue with printing? If you can email me at support@microspot.co.uk I would be happy to help you :) it would also be amazing to see a few of your famous coloured plans!

Microspot Ltd

ANDRE BERTRAND

Bewertet am 15.2.2017
André B.
Architektur & Planung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Great functionality and support.
Thanks to the support staff.
IAs Interior Designer I use to insert a lot of photos from Photoshop into my MD drawings because as you khow Photoshop doesn't work at scale. I wish MD will able to open very heavy files like more than 1 G.
The 6.2 version is great.
And the zoom it's not sticky anymore !
Very important :
The Special line tool perpendicular is perfect but the one starting at the center of an existing line or objet is not. The center line cannot be perpendicular even with the alt button. So after drawind the center line, one should go to check the angle with resize window. The center line must be automatily perpendicular like the othet one.
Nothing more.
The remaining tools are perfects.

Vorteile: Easy Drawing
Easy and practicals Tools

Nachteile: May be more easier compatibilidad with :
Transforming MD files in Autocad in DWG.
Transforming MD files in JPEG images like is doing in PDF

Mac's best weapon

Bewertet am 24.3.2017
Nicholas P.
designer
Architektur & Planung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I have used Macdraft for quite some years now and have found it easy to use at a base level if you are just starting and as a perfect tool to show in detail all your projects as you get more confident. I use it for architectural work and have chatted to the company about software and my ideas and they have always been able to help. I doubt if I will change now. As it is a review you will note that it is lacking five stars in the features and functionality bit. That is because when you save under a PDF as many of us have to in order to communicate some of our drawings that way. The renditions as it is made compatable are sometimes not as good as they could be. But it is a small thing but it would make a big improvement.

Vorteile: ease of use

Nachteile: PDF quallity

von Microspot an 30.3.2017

Thank you for the review Nicholas, we love the title 'Macs Best Weapon' :) A quick note on PDF, File > Export PDF will create a PDF based on the content in the document not the page size. If you want a Print Quality PDF we recommend going File > Print > Save As PDF, hopefully this will help you out in future work.

Henk 123

Bewertet am 24.6.2019
Henk H.
engineer
Maschinenbau oder Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I use Macdraft for a combination of building layouts *architectural) and the design of building utitlities (HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical etc.). It is a simple to use program.

Vorteile: Simply to use after a period of training

Nachteile: Missing the function : SAVE AS and the set up of a printer. In MacDraft Professional 6 it was more clear and better in relation with other computerprograms.

von Microspot an 26.6.2019

Hi Henk,

Thank you for the review! We really appreciate it :)

I just want to point out that Save As is now called 'Duplicate' and still has the same CMD-Shift-S shortcut as before. MacDraft 7 still draws the information from your printer so any printer set up on your machine should appear when you go to print, if it doesnt, please get in touch and im sure we can fix this for you! :)

Microspot Team

Intuitive, it's been around forever.

Bewertet am 8.7.2019
Bruce R.
Engineer
Kunst & Handwerk, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I need to create scale drawings of wood working projects to "mess" with configurations and proportions. With MacDraft I can do that easily. I also often need to create accurate patterns for templates. MacDraft allows these to be created quickly and easily.

Vorteile: I started with "MacDraft" back in 1984 on an original Macintosh computer for designing electronic schematics. When I picked it up to use 20 years later, I could immediately begin drafting again as the intuitive interface was still the same. It is easy to learn and use, not overly complex. If you "need" to do something, chances are excellent that MacDraft can do what you want, but you don't have that shoved in your face if you don't need it.

Nachteile: Text options are somewhat limited. I'd like the ability to control how text within dimensions appears.

von Microspot an 18.7.2019

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for the great review! You can edit the text on dimensions in the same way as normal text, you can also use labels (in the dimension formatting options) to make the label say what ever you want it to say :)

Exceptional Software!

Bewertet am 28.3.2017
Jacqueline C.
Architect and Interior Designer
Architektur & Planung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I am an Architect and Designer, I've been using this software for more than 10 years, and I can do from a Simple Drawing to a complete Architectural Drawings, easy to use and Autocad compatible.

Vorteile: Easy to use
Libraries have lots of materials to choose from

Nachteile: I cannot modify on an Autocad document/file.

von Microspot an 30.3.2017

Thanks for the review Jacqueline! We would be more than happy to look into more library items such as those suggested (ADA toilets etc) what really helps us is having somebody in the industry that can help us create particular libraries so if you can drop us an email at support@microspot.co.uk with a longer list of what you would expect we would love to get started on this!
As for editing AutoCAD files, MacDraft Professional can open and edit DWG files by going File > Open > Change MacDraft pop up to DWG. I hope this helps in future projects!

Microspot Team

Great update, more modern features

Bewertet am 2.7.2019
Nick Z.
Bau, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I routinely import a scan of my designer's hand drawn floorplans and work with them in MacDraft. I can overlay the computer drawn plan and work with it very well.

Vorteile: I have been using MacDraft for at least 20 years. Over that time, it has become a mature, useful tool for me. Although I have used Autocad before, I find MacDraft so much easier to use and 'Mac-like'. Not all the tools are intuitive, but easy enough to figure out with online help. With the new update to V7, the interface has been cleaned up significantly, and everything is easier to use. I now can do my work in less time, and achieve better looking results. I really appreciate that Microspot continues to update this great piece of software.

Nachteile: Some of the tools look different than the last version, so there is a bit of a re-learning curve. That's not to say that once learned, the improvements are evident.

von Microspot an 3.7.2019

Hi Nick,

thank you for the great review! We really appreciate it. Its fantastic to know you are enjoying it and getting on with MacDraft 7.

If you need any help refamiliarizing yourself just drop us an email at support@microspot.co.uk

Microspot Team

Been using MacDraft for years! New update is great.

Bewertet am 16.8.2017
John P.
Partner
Design, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I render right into the specification detail that I create and I find that to reflect realistic visuals for client evaluation.

Vorteile: The update is consistent with features of previous versions. I use it to draft details specifications and than render into those details, occasionally bringing over pdf and jpg , sizing them to drop in!elements from other apps.

Nachteile: I am not sure that I like the layout sizing as compared with older versions. Maybe I am just not use comfortable with it and that will change as I go forward with projects.

von Microspot an 16.8.2017

Hi John, thank you for the great review! hopefully you will get used to the new layout (I presume you mean the centred document) if you prefer the old way you can switch back to it via MacDraft > Preferences > untick the centred document toggle.

Thanks again!

Microspot Ltd

Review of MacDraft Professional 7

Bewertet am 24.6.2019
Jerome O.
Retired
Bau, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Using the application to design furniture and built-ins

Vorteile: I like the ease of use and the fact that it is not cluttered with features not required for 2D drafting.

Nachteile: 1. I would like to be able to close or hide the Libraries tile. It blocks the Parameters tile and I have to scroll down to get to the 'Parameters"of Length and angle, etc.
2. I would like to be able to snap to a predefined distance from an end or a corner of an object. For example, to be able to snap to a location 25%, or 1/3 from an end of a line or corner of a rectangle.

von Microspot an 26.6.2019

Hi Jerome,

Thank you for the review!

You can hide the library tile by dragging it down to the bottom of the right panel, it be there as a small pop up button.

As for snapping to a location 25% or 1/3 from the end of a line, it would be great to get more information on this if you could contact us via support@microspot.co.uk :)