Backblaze Back Up for Nonprofit

Bewertet am 20.8.2019
Randi T.
Operations Director
Non-Profit-Organisation Management, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: The biggest problem Backblaze solved was that when we had previously used another company for backing up files (which was a more cloud based system) we lost files when a staff member deleted files thinking our main account was linked to them. When in fact the files were lost because they were the original author. This was a huge loss of time having to rewrite manuals and operating documents. Now when we have a staff member leave we have them condense their files and transfer it to my computer as the Operations Director and I can make sure they are backed up and as needed given to new staff when the time comes. The other benefit is everything runs in the background automatically. Gone are the days when we would plug in a harddrive for back up and were lucky to remember to do it once a month.

Vorteile: First of all you just can't beat their price for this type of automatic back up system. Most platforms I had researched either had size limits or cost much more. For a small non-profit we were so happy (and able to sleep better at night) knowing if our computer crashed we would be safe and able to keep going.

Nachteile: We have had a slight issue w/ backing up our harddrive because we travel to different venues and use that same harddrive for our video footage. We just have to set really good reminders so we don't forget to plug it back in.

I have been using Backblaze for several years as one of several backup methods for my work computer.

Bewertet am 23.6.2018
Principal

Kommentare: The benefit of knowing that my data is securely stored if my computer and my first line of backups fail. Lets face it, external hard drives can fail as easily as an internal hard drive. I certainly hope that I never have to recover my data in an emergency, but if I do, i feel better having made what I feel is a very reasonably priced purchase of this product.

Vorteile: Backblaze runs in the background and engages in backups whenever your computer is connected to the internet. It is seamless and runs in the settings part of my Mac. Backblaze allows you to encrypt your backups with the key being held only by you. While this is one of those types of software that you hope you never need to use, if you do need it you can download your data from the internet OR request that they send you a USB drive or a external hard drive with your data on it. thus Backblaze is a pretty cheap component to add to your backup system. Backblaze is not meant to be your only backup. While it theoretically could be, it's best used as part of a system. I personally use external hard drives with TimeMachine in addition to Backblaze. Backblaze is my last resort; however, it is also the most complete of the backups since it does its thing constantly in the background. Even on the best of days, I'm only going to back on an external drive once a day. I highly recommend this program for anyone who cares about the data stored on their computers.

Nachteile: I honestly cannot say that there is anything I dislike about Backblaze. It's an inexpensive, non-obtrusive piece of software that simply does what it's supposed to do. If you use an encryption key that Backblaze is not storing for you DO NOT lose it under any circumstance or you will NEVER get your data back without it. This is only a "con" if you lose the key.

Best Backup on the Market for Business

Bewertet am 1.4.2019
Christopher D.
Owner/Senior Technician

Kommentare: For our small business, the software was a huge success and came in handy when one of our back drives went bad. Setup on our server and workstations was seamless and easy to manage from any device.

Vorteile: The best part of this software is how easy it is to configure and setup. A few simple clicks, a private key for encryption, and it runs quietly in the background when connected to the internet uploading data as specified in your options. Cost for the amount of storage is lower than most providers without having to rely on cold storage options.

Nachteile: Backblaze relies on the computer state for backups, and doesn't give a huge number of options for data recovery. If you lose a file, you need to make sure to restore it before the next backup kicks in and removes the file for good. Software does not run on network drives or NAS very easily. NAS sometimes has software to integrate, but usually not a dual direction backup. Upload was pretty slow. We are on 400/400 fiber and the 600GB upload took almost 3 days.

von Backblaze an 2.4.2019

Hey Christopher-
Thanks for leaving the review! Just a quick note- Our Computer Backup software is one not intended to run on network drives or NAS devices, we have B2 Cloud Storage for those use cases. Why? Our Computer Backup service is one of the few remaining unlimited services around. By being truly unlimited, we had to draw some lines around what backing up a `computer¿ means (within the context of unlimited). So that might explain some of their haplenges you had backing up your NAS.

But checkout B2! It¿s $0.05 /GB/month (1/4 of the price of S3). And is integrated into most NAS devices already. You can find more information at https://www.backblaze.com/b2/solutions/backup-and-archive.html

Cheers!
Ahin from Backblaze

Easy hassle free unlimited backup system

Bewertet am 19.8.2019
Ella sophie B.
Photographer
Fotografie, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Overall I'm very happy to have Backblaze keeping my files safe.

Vorteile: What I like most about this software is that the backup is unlimited, as a photographer I have a lot of files that are fairly large that I need to backup. Being able to access my files easily is super helpful and has already come in handy during a hardware malfunction a few months ago.

Nachteile: The only downside is that you pay per computer so if I have a portable drive I have to plug it into the same computer anytime I want to back it up so I can't just log in to my Backblaze account from a shared computer to backup my portable drive.

Great Value, but lacks robust recovery software.

Bewertet am 18.7.2019
Marshall H.
Proprietor
Medienproduktion, Selbstständig

Vorteile: The price is unbeatable at this point for unlimited storage. Versioning is fairly robust. Speed is good.

Nachteile: Many folks would see this as a Pro, but I'd prefer to specify directories to backup rather than files types or the "back up everything" approach here. All recovery must be done through the web interface by browsing backed up data and selecting files to be placed into zip containers of limited size. This is slow and clunky. When I had a major failure, I needed to back up several TB of data. I had to wait a week for delivery of a 2TB volume, and still had to select 10-20 zip packages in addition, keeping track of what had been restore and what had not. Obviously, this is a value service, but a non-web interface that allows for direct recovery over a fast connection would be superior for me.

von Backblaze an 19.7.2019

Hey Marshall-
Thanks for being a customer. As another option for fast downloads, checkout our dedicated downloader - circumvents much of slowness introduced by browsers.

For Mac:

For Windows:

Backblaze was a simple solution for what has always been a complex problem.

Bewertet am 19.3.2018
Scott M.
Creative Director

Kommentare: The peace of mind that if you're office burns down or floods and your harddrive backups and their contingency drives die you still have a backup in the cloud... It's worth the few dollars. The value per dollar is stunning with Backblaze!

Vorteile: Being able to have your entire database and archive in the cloud, automatically synching everyday, is a huge weight off of a company's shoulders. It's incredibly cheap for what you're receiving and the options to get your data back are very convenient. Convenience is the key to Backblaze's success. A program runs in the background and is transferring your files in the middle of the night (or whenever you set it), ease of mind with no extra work. The setup is easy and takes minutes and the updates are informative.

Nachteile: One issue with Backblaze is you literally need to upload ALL of your data so depending on your ISP you may hit some data limit caps. I also found the upload process to be very slow. It took a couple weeks to upload a dozen terabytes. However when it was all finished, there is no issue in keeping up with the daily influx of data.

The simplest cloud backup solution

Bewertet am 7.3.2018
Bryan M.
Product Director
Design

Vorteile: Backblaze is very easy to get running on a new computer and has configurable bandwidth limits. It doesn't backup the OS or applications which is great since it is unnecessary. It makes sense to have physical on and off site backups as well for critical data, but backblaze is so affordable that it is a great addition and adds peace of mind without having to always worry about if physical backups are 100% up to date.

Nachteile: I understand that they need to put limits on some things so people don't game the system, but I wish it was possible to keep a single external HD backed up without having to keep it plugged in all the time. If the external HD is unplugged for a certain amount of days, the data from it will be cleared. For teams that travel often, they may not always be able to have that external drive plugged in.

Incredible Backup Storage Provider

Bewertet am 14.8.2019
Daniel C.
Managing Partner

Kommentare: Customers are shocked by how cheap it is, even when I mark it up 1000%.

Vorteile: Price is the best thing about this product.

Nachteile: Support is what is lacking most about this product the most but it's exactly what you expect for the price.

Easy to use and affordable backup solution for multiple computers. Easy recovery too!

Bewertet am 12.7.2018
Sr. Experience Designer
Personalwesen, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: After setting up your preferences, Backblaze runs unobtrusively in the background without any further interactions needed. The affordable pricing structure lets me use one account to back up several computers and easily access backups via the Backblaze website. Recovery is easy to do, fast, and multiple delivery options of your data are offered if you're trying to recover larger quantities than you'd prefer to download.

Nachteile: There isn't an archive solution to hold even a day or twos worth of backups. Your backup is only as good as the last state of your computer, so if you accidentally delete something on your machine, you have to be sure to recover it before the next automated backup takes place.

Covers the Basics

Bewertet am 1.9.2019
Suzanne S.
Graphic Designer
Grafikdesign, Selbstständig

Vorteile: It's easy to set up, then requires nothing to maintain. Everything functions pretty automatically. The initial upload speed was fair. It allows lots of space for backup.

Nachteile: It isn't very user friendly to know what files have been backed up versus which files are queued for backup. Nor is it easy to figure out how to access those files from the cloud if you ever needed to. There is no file versioning, so if you need an older version of a file, you are out of luck. The backup is also limited to whatever you have on your harddrive - it doesn't backup external harddrives, and any file that has not been on your harddrive for more than 30 days gets deleted from the backup as well.

Reliable continuous offsite backup

Bewertet am 12.3.2018
Junjie L.

Vorteile: I like that Backblaze constantly runs in the background backing up everything that's on my Mac. Some of my co-workers can't be bothered with manually plugging in a hard drive to run a backup, so this works perfectly for them. Since I also have a local backup, I don't have a need to download my entire backup as yet. However it came in handy on a number of occasions when I needed to access a file on my Mac when I'm out.

Nachteile: I wish they could offer unlimited versioning of files so that I can rollback to an earlier version when something goes wrong. As of now, I'd need to combine that with other solutions like Time Machine or Dropbox Extended Version History.

The biggest success of this software is that I never have to think about it

Bewertet am 12.7.2018
Nate C.
Assistant Accounting Professor
Hochschulbildung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: First off, the biggest endorsement I can give for this software/service, at least for me, is that it is picked by The Wirecutter as the best online cloud backup service. The first important thing to realize is that EVERY hard drive will eventually fail. Not if, but when. So you need a backup plan. And any backup plan that requires you to remember to do something is doomed. That's where BackBlaze comes in. The setup is dead simple (easier than other services I've used, like Crashplan), and then you simply let it do it's thing and run in the background. That's it! All you need to do is relax knowing that all of your data (and I mean all--the service allows unlimited data storage) is now safely backed up offsite.

Nachteile: I have yet to run into any issues with this sofware and service. I fortunately have not had the need to try out their data recovery features, however, so I can't opine on the quality there yet.

Affordable option for business backup

Bewertet am 16.10.2018
Jessica F.
Buchhaltung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I got tired of the regular price increases of the cloud backup solution that I had been using for years and in my research Backblaze came highly recommended, the price was right so I decided to do a trial. I have a lot of files so the initial backup took a long time but by adjusting the settings to use more bandwidth while I slept, the backup completed in a fraction of the projected time. So far it has done a great job at backup up new files within hours thus giving me peace of mind. I haven't had the need to do a full restore yet (knock on wood) but I did conduct a test restore before the end of my trial, I had to go to the website to do so and it's not as instant as my old solution but it worked well. I like that in the event of a catastrophic hard drive failure I have the option to have a drive shipped to me. The software has been running on autopilot since I signed up and I am saving money.

Vorteile: The price is a great value when compared to the products that I had been using before. Setup was easy and straightforward and it automatically backs up new and changed files giving me peace of mind.

Nachteile: Customizing settings isn't as user friendly as the app that I used before. You need to log on to the website to restore files which is a small inconvenience. My old backup solution had a small icon next to files so I knew at a glance which ones were already backed up, Backblaze doesn't offer that. It isn't able to back up GSuite's File Stream Drive.

Great cloud based backup for personal computers and business laptops!

Bewertet am 28.3.2018
Kyle L.
IT Director

Vorteile: Backblaze has a simple monthly or yearly cost with NO DATA restrictions. Don't worry about what data to backup, backup all of your data. Backblaze has an easy to use interface and you can even schedule when the backups occur or do a continuous backup.

Nachteile: I wish Backblaze had an easier to use Business package. You have to buy a third party app to get to their storage.

von Backblaze an 29.3.2018

Hi Kyle -
Thanks for being a customer! Happy to chat with you re: access to your storage. While we have many integration partners, customers are not required to buy an app to get to your storage. Feel free to reach out if I can help troubleshoot.
Cheers,
Ahin
(VP of Marketing @ Backblaze

Peace of mind: priceless.

Bewertet am 8.2.2018
Shawn C.
Director of Measurement Strategy
Internet, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Peace of mind!

Vorteile: I love that once the software is enabled, I don't ever have to think about it. It's just there, silently making sure that my work is constantly being backed up to the cloud in case the unthinkable happens and I lose all of my data.

Nachteile: I haven't had to actually use it yet, but having explored the restoration process a little bit through the company's website, it seems to be a bit clunky. It would be nice if there were an easier way to pick through the files I need to restore. Would be even better if it could track multiple versions ala Apple's Time Machine (which I also use).

Backblaze - super affordable, stable backups

Bewertet am 13.11.2018
Greg C.
Sysadmin
Einzelhandel, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: From day 1 we have been able to simply configure and always restore our data. That along with the price makes this the perfect solution to backup millions of files across 10TB of data.

Vorteile: The price and the simplicity of configuring it to backup our Synology rackstation. It's secure and we have always been able to restore files when needed. We have never experienced an issue with Backblaze. Would highly recommend to everyone.

Nachteile: The web interface could use an overhaul. It is simple enough but I feel like with a little time and effort they could turn it into something better. Note, this is a very minor con.

Gives me ease of mind regarding all digital documents I use for work and study

Bewertet am 10.4.2018
Rebecca B.
Master's Student

Kommentare: Ease of mind! Writing my master's thesis, it's just so good to know that all the work I do is constantly being saved and updated, and I don't have to worry about what will happen if I break/lose my computer. I just can't get into the habit of doing manual backups, and now I don't need to!

Vorteile: - It's so simple to use! There's no fussing around selecting folders to sync, or need to do any manual syncs yourself! It just runs in the background
- Getting regular email updates allows me to have an extra sense of security
- I think the cost of the service is incredibly reasonable
- I love being able to remotely access files. It just makes working while travelling so much easier!

Nachteile: Really can't find fault with this service! The only improvement I would suggest is that a push notification for when updates are available would be great (currently, I have to request it to 'check for updates' every no and again), but that's not a massive problem.

Backblaze solved our email archive problem

Bewertet am 9.10.2018
Chris R.
Aftersales Engineer
Industrieautomation, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall it solved the problem of where to store our old emails which makes repeat requests much easier to find and respond to a customer much faster.

Vorteile: We receive over 1,000 emails a month just between mechanical and electrical after sales support. I am the 'gatekeeper' of the email archives. We originally had them on a separate server, but that became buggy. And it wasn't searchable. With backblaze you can back up automatically every day anything and everything on the computer, and be able to retrieve it at any time. This eliminated the need to have a separate hard drive that everyone would have to map to, and the plug into their computer if they needed an older email.

Nachteile: The only downside is the backup can take a while if you don't have it set to do it every day. If you do it every week and you have a lot of data it could take hours for it to backup.

Backblaze set it and forget it until you need it

Bewertet am 7.9.2018
QA Director - FIS Mobile
Computer-Software, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: It is so easy to just add the different drives or files you want to be backed up regularly. It does it all in the background and you do not even notice it. When and if you need a backup you have various options for larger amounts of data you can request a drive be sent to you with the data or you can bring down the files in chunks or zipped files.

Nachteile: I do not have anything bad to say about this other than the one time i switched computers and had to merge my account back was messy but understandable.

Excellent backup option with great support

Bewertet am 12.1.2018
Sunil M.
co-owner

Vorteile: After being forced to find an alternate backup solution for our home business, we came across Backblaze and gave it a try. This has been a home-run for us, and we'll definitely continue to use it. The setup is fairly simple and straightforward, and being able to adjust options regarding when and the amount of resources used to backup files is great.
When we encountered an issue, their support center was prompt in replying to us and did an excellent job at explaining what the cause of the issue was.
The ability to restore an entire folder or an individual file regardless of location is very nice, and the price is very competitive for the options they provide.

Nachteile: There's really not a whole lot that I'd change. A benefit is the support articles and answers found in the community.

Cloud backup plans are nothing new but Backblaze does it best

Bewertet am 4.5.2018
Head of Innovation & Marketing

Kommentare: Backblaze provides a simple setup and peace of mind when dealing with valuable data.

Vorteile: Pricing is great for Backblaze and setup is beyond simple. The persistent backups mean no user is ever in fear of losing valuable data. We've implemented Backblaze for all our employees machines. An underrated feature that I hope I never have to use is they'll send you a physical copy of your backup if you ever find yourself in a severe emergency backup situation!

Nachteile: I really, really can't think of any negatives to say about Backblaze. While I think the price is fair I guess it could be bundled a little better for larger organizations who need a lot of machines backed up.

Peace of mind offsite backups

Bewertet am 2.2.2019
Ronnie N.

Kommentare: It provides great peace of mind knowing I have my important personal and business files backed up without any effort or thought.

Vorteile: It just trudges along in the background, doing its job securely backing up the files to the cloud. I like that I can have exclusion folders (like Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud) since there's no point to back those up.

Nachteile: Not so much a con per se, but I haven't actually tested any of the backups because I haven't needed to.

I love the set it and forget it approach

Bewertet am 14.12.2016
Stuart B.
Internet, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I love the set it and forget it the style that Backblaze uses for remotely securing all my files. While other backup software makes you pick and choose what's worth saving, Backblaze just goes for it and backs up everything (you can opt out if something's too sensitive or scandalous, I think) so that you don't have to spend forever setting options. Then it just regularly backs up my files without me having to think about it, so that if I ever lose my laptop or it is lost in a fire or something else horrible, my business files, records, family photos, etc, those are all safe. Peace of mind for a cheap price.

Vorteile: Ease of use, background operation, peace of mind, price.

Nachteile: Sometimes when it starts running, it slows my system (albeit briefly)

Blazing Fast Business Backup

Bewertet am 6.2.2018
Jesus P.
CEO/President

Kommentare: Incredibly fast backups and restorations. Integration with popular backup software.

Vorteile: The speed is incredible and pricing per GB for BackBlaze B2 is lower than Amazon Glacier and Microsoft Azure. Plus, they publish an annual report on hard drive failure rates that is extremely valuable.

Nachteile: A few years ago, my only gripe was the amount of industry integrations. Since then, however, they've added many, many new ones that resolve my concerns.

Bewertet am 20.3.2018
Anthony M.

Vorteile: I have literally had to do nothing after I signed up and followed the step-by-step process. I feel comfortable knowing that I have a 100% backup of my whole computer.

Nachteile: I, like many in this day and age, often wonder the security level of this backup storage service. There is some pretty serious content some folks may have stored in their backup...how secure is it? I just don't know yet. There is a constant tug-of-war on my perception of my content's safety and security. This is not specific to BackBlaze, but is inherently present because of the nature of this business.