A great alternative to MS Project for collaboration

Bewertet am 3.9.2019
Stefano M.
Project Manager / Service Manager
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: It's perfect to assign tasks and keep track of their progress. Many other free tools can do this but OpenProject adds customizable workflows and detailed dependencies between tasks - and even a Gantt view.
I use it for small and medium projects where live feedback from team members (progress, comments, etc.) is vital. Achieving the same result with MS Project Server would cost exorbitantly more.

Vorteile: I like the ease of use (I never had to explain how to use it to team members, only to project admins), the clean interface, the granularity of the configuration (most of all the possibility of activating only the needed modules for each project), the customization possibilities for categories/statuses/fact that workflows, the flexibility and ease of query design, the availability of a Gantt view
I appreciated also very much that most of the essential features can be used for free without limitations (other tools like Asana limit the number of projects, tasks or team members).
Setup was extremely easy (but I'm a skilled technician and tinkerer with over 10 years of sysadmin experience, so your mileage may vary).

Nachteile: It lacks some important features for project resources management like resource allocation (to spot overloads), resource leveling, resource calendars and resource availability percentage.
It also feels a bit skewed towards sw development teams and Agile methodology, so creating a classic waterfall WBS is not as easy as it should be and requires mental discipline; among other things, it does not allow for an easy reordering of tasks after their creation.
It does not allow for an easy nor complete import/export from/to MS Project (which IS arguably the industry standard).
The reports are not customizable and can only include task list and details (not the Gantt view).

Great Project Software for Teams

Matthew F.
Project Manager and Software Engineer
Rundfunk, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I thoroughly enjoy OpenProject and hope it continues to grow. Others in my organization find it frustrating for scheduling and viewing overall status, but we are finding ways to work around issues with other tools. We don't need another Jira! OP is my MS Project alternative, and adds the benefit of integrating teams into project tracking. Keep up the good work!

Vorteile: OpenProject is a pleasure to use for projects from proposal/concept to closing. Creating a WBS and timeline with generic resources is a great way to generate documentation needed for proposals. Copying that proposal project to an active project is then a great way to jumpstart project planning with team awareness of timelines and requirements. Teams can interact with the project plan, adding their own features and tasks to complete deliverables. Creating custom WBS queries assists in focusing team members on items they are required to complete. And creating custom queries to the master Work Package list provides a way for executive members to view the active phases and status of milestones. Meetings can be logged in their own section, and wiki notes can be captured for reference. Very pleased with the community version of OpenProject.

Nachteile: Scheduling and resource management is a bit burdensome with OpenProject. There is so much value in scheduling with blocked-out weekends, holidays, and resource calendars. Resource loading reports have to be manually created in other tools (spreadsheets) to show whether resources are available or overbooked. The planned project overview page and executive/portfolio views can't come soon enough. Value is often communicated upwards, and there isn't much for executive management to view; these views and reports are still custom creations in other tools. Printing wiki pages, meetings, etc. are awkward. Budgeting is OK, but again awkward as the plugin appears to apply to all projects when within a single project. There is no baseline feature and no way to compare performance verses the baseline. For these reasons, users are still required to use more advanced resource management, project management and budgeting, and scheduling tools alongside OpenProject. It is great software, just not a complete replacement for other project management toolsets. At times, it would be good to have more condensed views, but reducing the screen rendering/size to less than 100% suffices for now.

von OpenProject an 4.9.2019

Thank you very much for your feedback. The good news is that we are working on a completely new resource management and scheduling module for OpenProject. If you are interested in sharing your expectations, just get in touch with us on support@openproject.com.

Great Tool

Jander S.
Bildungsmanagement, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: It has helped me a lot in project management. Task management and monitoring.
I would like a brief overview of the project portfolio.

Vorteile: Open source software, API, web based.
Constant feature and security updates.
Agile tools;
Gantt chart.

Nachteile: The integration of agile module with gantt chart does not work correctly. There is currently a need for manual updates to the Agile module and Gantt. It would be great if the Gantt chart showed the progress of Versions, User Stories, and Tasks automatically. Currently I have to create a Gantt Phase and link to the Version of the same name.

von OpenProject an 4.9.2019

Thanks you very much for your feedback. The integration of the Agile module with the Gantt chart is a known challenge which we will evaluate and improve.
For now, the new Boards module gives a first improvement so that all work packages are at first displayed in the Gantt chart.

Free but great for project management

Bewertet am 31.5.2019
Ely O.
Asistente a la Presidencia
Staatsverwaltung, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I used this platform to manage a project from the office on restoration of public art monuments, involved a lot of staff located in different parts, we had very little time, we managed to complete the project coordinating all activities and tasks with this platform, so it was much easier for me to receive reports from managers and area coordinators, I could detect where there were delays and who were the most efficient in fulfilling their tasks, it is amazing the information you can get from a platform like this

Vorteile: One of its most emblematic features, is a free platform and open source, you can use it from any operating system, gives you the tools to have control and make the necessary follow-up until the end of the project.

Nachteile: It should take more advantage of its open-source feature and incorporate more tools and functions.

Great Product for Proffesionals

Bewertet am 29.8.2019
Thameera N.
Infrastruture Architect
Lebensmittelproduktion, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I'm the admin for our company and it's really easy to install the software. Configuring is little bit confusing but you get great support from community. I use for my own project management. All users are really happy to use the software.

Vorteile: OpenProject is open source and free to use. Great tool if you are intermediate for project management. Web based and can use on modern browsers.

Nachteile: Need more customization on functionalities. For example it's better to have a customizable landing page.

von OpenProject an 4.9.2019

Thank you very much for your great feedback. Please let us know if you have any more comments or feature requests.

Very User Friendly!

Jaylon S.
Computer-Software, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: This product has helped to organize and streamline the user acceptance testing process!

Vorteile: Open Project is very easy to navigate, with little-to-no training needed prior. It is easy to help organize project teams and help triage/direct issues found!

Nachteile: It would help if the amount/types of statuses for each defect were customizable at the project-level. Each project is organized differently, so this would be a huge win!

von OpenProject an 4.9.2019

Thank you very much for your great feedback. At a workaround to have different status on a project level, you can create different types with corresponding status and activate those in different projects according to the projects' needs. We will evaluate the other option as well. Please let us know if you have any more comments or feature requests.

Solid Tool for Project Management

Bewertet am 15.2.2019
Jared W.
Health Commissioner
Staatsverwaltung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall this is a go-to program for my occasional project management needs. Very happy with the program in general.

Vorteile: The biggest draw for me was the price tag - free. I don't know who spent the time to design this program, but it has been an excellent resource for me during the few projects a year when I need a true project management tool. It has a wide variety of features available, and after a few minutes of trial and error, it was easy to pick up the basics. The GANTT chart feature is especially useful and is the component that I use the most.

Nachteile: Finding some features of the program can be tricky and aren't as user friendly as they could be. Export options seem a little limited.

Great for managing my projects!

Thyago S.

Kommentare: I am very easy to use the platform, I follow all the news by the community.
All my company activity today is in OpenProjetc

Vorteile: OpenProject is highly configurable for the processes of each department. I have complete control of everything being done.

Nachteile: I wish he had an area to manage each person's workloads.

von OpenProject an 4.9.2019

Thank you very much for your great feedback.
We will evaluate the requirement of managing the private workload. Soon we are implementing a better resource management and scheduling module. Also, private Board views will be developed in the future to manage private activities.
Please let us know if you have any more comments or feature requests.

Great Project Planning has a name: OpenProject

Arjen H.

Kommentare: We are going to move completely to OpenProject for our Project Planning needs.

Vorteile: Fantastic GANTT implementation.
Great ways to group / sort data while maintaining the GANTT view.

Nachteile: At first it was unclear how to make edits, until you discover you have to select rows first.

Full featured reasonably priced Project Management & Wiki platform

Bewertet am 31.3.2017
Andrew H.
Technology Manager
Freizeit, Reisen & Tourismus, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: When we were looking for a Project Management and Wiki platform, there were a ton of good choices. However our organization has just over 10 people and so none of the free trials would work for us. Also, not very many platforms support Project Management and Wiki functionality, so for most platforms, we'd need a two-headed solution which would cost just under $$$/month. Instead, we found OpenProject, which is perfect. It doesn't look quite as slick as some of the other offerings, but after testing we found it to be just as functional and still pretty easy to use. Best of all, we can keep our organization's Wiki documentation and project tracking in one place. We're using Open Project's could hosting, which costs less... a much better price than anything else on the market that we were able to find. If you already have your own server and don't mind applying a few platform upgrades per year, then you can even get it for free since it's an opensource platform.

Vorteile: Good user interface, great feature set, better prices.

Nachteile: User interface doesn't look as slick as Asana's.

Though only working with this tool for a month, it has helped me a lot with project-planning.

Bewertet am 16.11.2017
Rene D.
Owner / Software Developer

Vorteile: The interface is really good, inline editing makes the creation and editing of tasks and other data really fast. The roles of different kinds of users are easily customizable. Most features I need for project-management are available in OpenProject. I really like the fact I can host OpenProject on my own server, so I have my data in my own hands.

Nachteile: OpenProject misses a few features that I think should be available. For instance, it is now possible to export Cost Reports (for instance, Time Sheet logs). This is something I need a lot, to inform customers of the progress of a project. They seem to be working on this feature though. I would like to link the tasks I planned to an external calendar. Maybe a CalDav interface would be a possibility.

I support myself in openProject

Bewertet am 8.3.2018
Luisana S.
Internet, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: The benefits of using OpenProject is that you can perform accurate project planning and resource utilization.

Vorteile: I really like OpenProject because it is a program that can be easily used to plan projects, load resources and define the dates of activities. Besides, it is a free license.

Nachteile: What I would like the program to do is to join several projects in one and be able to verify if time or resources that are already being used in another project overlap, to prevent this.

Great Free Project Management Software

Bewertet am 10.4.2019
Dave G.

Vorteile: Very easy to get up and running, and the interfaces are very intuitive. Nice way to get a snapshot of current project state. Multiple user accounts allows for associating tasks with users (who get notified via email when updates are pushed)

Nachteile: A 'server' (always on machine, running a web server and database) is required... would be nice if future iterations were remote browser based.

Open it is not

Kim P.
none
Bau, Selbstständig

Kommentare: A 'free trial' failed to provide (a) sufficient time to understand the product (b) sufficient guidance on the product before demanding I commit to signing up

Vorteile: This product looked to be a useful alternative to MS Project

Nachteile: Inadequate help.

von OpenProject an 29.8.2019

Dear Kim,
thank you for your review. Indeed, the help is quite weak at this point. We are currently developing a new help center with documentation and videos directly embedded in the system.
Also, we offer to prolong the trial for another 10 days to give users a change to test the system thoroughly before signing up. We also offer to give a personal demo. We are happy to prolong your trial if needed.
Kind regards
Birthe (OpenProject)

Great Product for Managing Projects

Rachelle K.
Programmer Analyst
Staatsverwaltung, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I love the ease of use of OpenProject and better than MS Project. Tracking tasks is simple and efficient.

Nachteile: I haven't found anything I dislike about OpenProject. In fact, I'm trying to talk more people into utilizing the software.

von OpenProject an 4.9.2019

Tool that helps the fulfillment of activities.

Bewertet am 9.1.2019
Gustavo V.
Middleware Manager

Kommentare: My experience with this tool is to follow up on the implementations that the company in which I work.

Vorteile: One of the benefits is that this tool can be used On-Premise or Cloud.

Nachteile: One of the disadvantages that I observe is that it is not very intuitive and that it requires more study of the documentation.

A great tool for managing projects

Bewertet am 1.3.2019
Andres B.
Gesundheit, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Smart and easy to use project managing tool

Vorteile: Excellent tool to organize activities, resources and time even if you don't have experience in project planning and control.

Nachteile: No complaints for basic projects control

Excellent user interface

Bewertet am 14.3.2018
Kaushal A.
Business Analyst

Kommentare: It helps me to manage complex projects

Vorteile: The best part is layout and the dashboard. On the dashboard they presenting all the information in a perfect manner. There is a settings section for project which is a very good feature.
It helps me to manage my projects efficiently.
This system has huge list of features which helps you to manage complex projects.

The most competitive open source project manager

Bewertet am 24.5.2019
Andrea G.
Jefe de Departamento de Prensa
Sport, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We used this platform on one occasion to rebuild our workflow and determine the monetary, human and technological resources needed to improve our way of communicating with our audience, it was very productive to use it to the maximum with our technicians and computer and to establish our structure of priorities in our communication area.

Vorteile: You solve communication and collaboration problems with the use of this platform. Break down the tasks of your projects and assign them according to the hierarchy of each, it is very useful if the projects involve the development of technologies and productive applications. In spite of being open source it works very well in window and iOS operating systems.

Nachteile: It is a project management platform that focuses more on the technical and the structure of projects. I would like to expand a little more that I have involved more technical and technological marketing and budgeting.

Openproject is perfect for big teams

Bewertet am 9.2.2018
Research Assistant

Kommentare: It is a great alternative to MS projects. Even some of its features are primitive, they might get expanded in the future.

Vorteile: The feature that I liked more about Openproject is that it has projects can contain a git repository. It offers project management tools similiar to any other software in that area. It is also free to install in your own machines.

Nachteile: The Visual could be improve I think. Also the Git support is primitive at the moment, it only shows the previous commits and diff. It could display the readme.md such as GitHub

Great environment to manage projects

Bewertet am 28.1.2019
Jorge luis R.
Gerente de Auditoría Apoyo Técnico y Soporte
Bankwesen, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: The planning becomes much simpler as well as the follow-up to the projects, the whole team is on the same page and with the will to complete the projects on time, that generates a greater motivation towards the achievements of the institution

Vorteile: This project manager contains everything from the most basic tools to the most advanced ones, in a platform designed to manage together with the work team the tasks that correspond to each one. As a manager I like to create work schedules in which the team feels comfortable and with the power to fulfill their tasks perfectly, I can do general tracking in a single digram of gantt where everything is consolidated, the platform can be adjusted to the requirements of your projects, there is little risk of loss of information

Nachteile: I would like you to have more applications to integrate, in that aspect it is a bit limited

I beleive this is best and very easy to use tool for managing your projects

Bewertet am 9.7.2018
Deepak S.
Graphic designer

Kommentare: It helps me to manage my projects in professional way.

Vorteile: They have presented all the information about your projects and profile in a very good manner on the dashboard and that make it user friendly. They have provided all the features as per the Agile methodology.

Nachteile: They have provided all the features required for project management, so there is nothing which I don't like about this tool.

On the Dashboard, you can see each and everything about your projects and profile.

Bewertet am 8.3.2018
Kaushal A.
Business Analyst

Kommentare: It helps me to manage my products more efficiently.

Vorteile: The project settings are also the best part of this tool. Also, it has all the feature as per the Agile methodology. I am also using this tool for product management.

The best project management software I've used

Bewertet am 16.11.2017
Faycal S.
Software Engineer

Kommentare: An easy and modern way to manage projects.

Vorteile: Offers almost all the features required for an efficient project management
A very modern user interface
An opensource version and even a docker image

Nachteile: Bugfixing is a little bit slow
The docker images are not updated regularly
Support for the free/opensource version could be better

Great tool for project management

Bewertet am 16.1.2019
COO & EA Manager

Vorteile: Collaboration characteristics are really great, the status for every activity was tracked easily and we could share it with the whole team.

Nachteile: Sometimes it got slow in my laptop, but technical support told me that it was an apple related issue, so that's it.