Best Password Safe and Manager

Bewertet am 6.11.2018
Mack S.
IT Consultant
Bibliotheken, Selbstständig

Kommentare: KeePass allows you to easily utilize unique and complex passwords on every account you have. Trust me, you have more online accounts than you may realize, and ANYTIME I create an account (even for one time use) I log the information into KeePass. This prevents creating numerous "zombie" accounts...a threat to your security. ONE TIP: If you want to utilize KeePass from different devices, but keep everything in synch, simply store the data file in a Dropbox (or similar) account, but install the program itself on each device. Make sure your KeePass master password AND your Dropbox password is complex and secure! Then, any changes made to account info is safely stored in an encrypted file in Dropbox.

Vorteile: KeePass allows you to keep all your passwords in one place, and UNDER YOUR CONTROL since the file resides on your computer. Like other password managers, all you need to remember is ONE password (hopefully something easily remembered, but complex and secure) then you can access all of your other accounts from within KeePass by simply clicking the URL (autotype) for that account. KeePass will also generate secure passwords for you, based upon the criteria you define (so that the password will be compatible with the rules of the account). Each account entry includes a handy notes section so that you can keep track of such things as security question answers, special information needed for that account (such as driver's license numbers or SS numbers, etc.) Best of all , it is completely FREE. You can install it directly on your computer, or utilize the "no install" portable version so that you can keep and run the program from a flash drive. KeePass is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux! Uses top notch encryption. Can be set up to use a key file, but that's optional.

Nachteile: I've used the program for years, and there isn't much do dislike. I guess that the only limitation would be the learning curve to use all the features and settings. For "non technical" types, KeePass might offer too many features! But taking the time to learn and use the program correctly can GREATLY increase your online security.

Must-have in this digital era!

Bewertet am 1.8.2018
Alvaro M.
Account Manager
Versorgungsunternehmen, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I can never stress this enough... Security is of utmost importance in this day and age. KeePass will help you to adopt a more serious workflow in generating, managing, retrieving your passwords for all accounts you have.

Vorteile: Security is of utmost importance in this millennial age! We all have so many accounts to manage (e.g., email, social network, office, personal blogs... etc). And all these require a username/password... KeePass has helped me to manage all these! I used to reuse or use similar passwords for all of my accounts (to simplify things), but this is one of the worst things to do! It makes hacking one's accounts easy. KeePass helps me to generate a very strong password (mixed with capital letters, numbers, symbols) and it is all stored and managed in my KeePass vault that is secure and with full backup. All my entries/accounts can easily be categorized to keep order in my vault, and it can contain a lot more information (other than just the username/password), one can add notes, etc. Retrieving passwords is easy, so it is not a problem when I open an app and I need to get the password. The tags makes searching easy as well. Plus there are a ton of advanced options for integration with other apps (e.g., to the web browser).

Nachteile: The UI can be improved to have a more modern look and not so old-style boxy feel. But this is more of the aesthetics and not the function. I'm pretty happy with my use of KeePass and had no security breaches with it.

Great functionality and usability for 0 cost!

Bewertet am 23.5.2019
Connor S.
IT Manager

Kommentare: We're using it as a secure internal password database, it's saved us from writing the passwords down in word files or on our computers which is very insecure. As we've got it on our online file server it's also accessible from any device, it makes connecting to routers a whole lot easier as all the information can be put into a single Keepass entry.

Vorteile: The software has the same functionality as a lot of other software I've tried but without the price tag, it's an amazing bit of kit when you consider it's free. The database itself is encrypted, it has the ability to generate secure passwords based on your preferences. It has a secure copy/paste function that deletes it from your clipboard after a certain amount of seconds.

Nachteile: It can be annoying if you've saved changes and another user has the database open although this can be fixed by setting up the sync client to avoid this.

KeyPass Review

Bewertet am 18.2.2019
Software Engineer
Gastgewerbe, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: KeyPass helps me to access my clients data and information securely over the web. I am saving all my save strong passwords in an application that can be stored on a USB stick, no need to install or accept any plugins and what not.

Vorteile: I have been using KeyPass for quite some time now; and what i like about KeyPass is that it is fast and easy to install the software on PC or a USB stick; KeyPass does not need much memory or Hard disk space to operate; i can store all my passwords in the database that can be only accessed via a master password or a key file to unlock the whole database. KeyPass is a password generator that i can create a strong password based on a few options such as; use letters, symbols,alphanumeric, and etc. Keypass allows me to search and sort my passwords, export for txt file or csv, secure clipboard handling which clears out the copied passwords after a few mins and does not store any where in the system; KeyPass the application alone does not store password on the system.

Nachteile: KeyPass is not compatible with any browsers so if i need to login into any website i would need to open the keypass app and physically copy and paste the password.

von Dominik Reichl an 20.3.2019

The auto-type feature of KeePass types credentials into other applications (including browsers) when pressing a global hot key.

For completely automatic form filling, a browser extension is required. If you are willing to install such an extension: extensions are available for most major browsers on the KeePass plugins page.

Great password management tool that is NOT web-based

Bewertet am 22.6.2018
Dominic R.
Systems Architect

Kommentare: All of our passwords now have 1 home!

Vorteile: I like keeping my password management tools local, not on remote servers for a couple of reasons. First, because password management sites and prime targets for hackers because the rewards are so potentially high. Secondly, because I can't have a situation where a service goes offline and I can't recover my passwords. KeePass allows me and my team to manage our own passwords locally and still backup the key files elsewhere. We were even able to set up multi-user access so that passwords could be shared across a team. We're a small company, but with many clients, and keeping track of all those passwords was getting to be a nightmare. Now we have 1 place for everything!

Nachteile: Multi-user mode needs a little bit of work. Basically, whoever saves last could potentially overwrite another users changes, however with a small business like hours, it would be rare for that to happen. However, as we expand and grow, that is definitely a consideration we'll have to make. Also, it doesn't permit you to manage and assign users to different passwords or folders of passwords, it's all or nothing access. Definitely a feature we'll need later on down the road.

Feel free to use impossible passwords and forget them

Bewertet am 20.3.2018
Software Developer
13-50 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Free, and Open Source (which is a great pro when security is at stake). I use KeePassX in Linux and the store format is compatible with other OS versions. I firstly installed an older version and when I upgraded I momentarily thought I had lost all my passwords! But I quickly recovered when the program asked if I wanted to import the old format... The password generator has all the switches to satisfy the most annoying policies (case, symbols, etc). Any change to an entry is stored so that you don't lose the old passwords (in case the update goes wrong).
You can set an expiry date that will remember you to update the password.
The Android app has a pretty evoluted system to keep the password safe without forcing you to type the whole store password.
Great also to remember in how many places you have an account, and weed them out!

Nachteile: UI is not great. Choosing icons is painful and I cannot find use for most of them, they all look alike.
Many systems, like remote banking, are not happy with just a username and password, and KeePass just offers a "Notes" area for additional pin codes and the like, which isn't functional at all. The auto-type feature needs to be used with care, or you might end up emailing your credentials to somebody!
Some might think that no cloud integration is a con (although I don't).

You Need A Vault For Your Passwords!

Bewertet am 5.1.2017
Freddy S.
Gesundheit, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: After a little bit of a struggle with getting started, I'm happy to save I've been using KeePass for over 2 years now. Whether I'm being slightly paranoid about my prospects of getting hacked or whether it's just the day and age we live in, KeePass is definitely a lifesaver. All it took was one breach of my PayPal account (whether thru phishing or outright hack) and I was on the lookout for something to keep my "keys" safe. The amount of time I spent on the phone that day talking to banking institutions, credit card companies, merchants whose services I use with recurring payments tied it, and so on was borderline exhausting. All because of compromised account credentials. After some searching, KeePass ended up being my go-to for my laptop and also on my mobile. I especially like the password generator which can be customized according to the password requirements of a particular company (i.e. no special characters, only letters, and numbers, etc.) You only need to have one password memorized and the rest is as easy as a drag and drop on your computer or touch/copy and paste on your mobile.

Vorteile: The encryption it offers and the peace of mind it provides.

Nachteile: You'll need to have at least a little bit of tech savvy to get this going on your laptop.

Secure, Simple, Mobile, Free - Everything a Password Lockbox Should Be

Bewertet am 16.5.2019
Director of Communications
Telekommunikation, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: This is so much more secure, reliable, and accessible than any other tool on the market. We tried to use Zoho Vaults but hated the double sign on and interface. Keepass feels like a file interface - categories/tabs and entries. One login and you're there!

Vorteile: A developer friend recommended Keepass as a secure way to share databases of usernames, passwords, notes, URL's, and other credentials several years ago. Since then, my entire team has used Keepass across multiple projects and as a method of coordinating and securely sharing credentials over email. Keepass allows us to organize, store, and rapidly access huge collections of login and account credentials. The encryption is highly secure, and the password generator tool is an added bonus. We have used this tool for both in-place (PC) and portable (thumb drive) applications. The search functionality to easily find buried or old usernames and passwords is fast and simple. Overall, a great, free tool that does exactly what it says it does.

Nachteile: The developers are on top of their security and release frequent updates. I have not found an auto-update feature that would prevent the 'new version' popups but would like to see one.

KeePass review

Bewertet am 29.8.2018
Christian N.
Owner / Instructor
Erholungseinrichtungen & -dienstleistungen, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I use KeePass to keep business information and logon information securely with me and accessible regardless of internet connectivity. As a small business owner I find myself computing from many locations, and this is a fantastic way to keep things synchronized and secure while still retaining off-line control and direct user management of any information - not just passwords and logons!

Vorteile: This is a fantastic, compact password manager. I found it's off-line element reassuring. It has a mobile launcher so password files can even be used in professional settings where you do not have administrator access on your pc/the ability to install the program to your computer.

Nachteile: The only elements of this software seem to stem from its status as non-commercial. The need to update the software manually is a minor annoyance, but the software does reliably inform the user of any needed updates. The only other thing I can think of as a "negative" would be that the design and function of the way the user creates and manages the ordering of the passwords might be cumbersome to some users - but it isn't in anyway difficult to get used to.

Simple yet complex password manager

Bewertet am 12.4.2017
Bill C.
Business Systems Analyst
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: During the early half of 2016 I was starting to become interested in the network and web security tools that are becoming available. As one of those people who had 3 interchangable passwords for every website, I wasn't very secure and I was looking for way to improve on that. I'd heard about password managers from a colleague who explained that, along with 2-factor auth, were the safest way of using multiple passwords.
I found a list of such systems and, one by one, tried them out to see which one was best for my needs. Although some were very good they had small let downs that ultimately stopped me from using them.
Keepass though has astounded me with the quality of it's features and how easily I was able to integrate it into my every day PC usage.
After working my way through the instructions on the website I managed to figure out how each of the features work. The software itself, though not beautiful in it's aesthetics, is simplistic and features are easy to spot by the simple logos used.
Although the software itself is rather daunting at first, not being the simplest product, it is rather powerful when you get it working.
I now use this as my de-facto password management solution, integrated with cloud storage and mobile usage. I've never felt safer on the web.

Vorteile: Free, easy to use and install, cloud compatible.

Nachteile: Mobile app leaves much to be desired.

If security is a top concern for you (and it should be!) use KeePass!

Bewertet am 29.8.2019
Atlee H.
CTO
Geschäftsbedarf & -einrichtung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: It has made our company a lot more secure by providing a way whereby we can insist on using strong unique passwords for anywhere we need to log into.

Vorteile: It is finally a very secure way to secure login information by creating and storing long unique passwords. I love the fact that it is open source, not cloud based, and I don't need to worry about the company behind it being tempted to make money off of my data.

Nachteile: It is a tad clumsy for beginners, but I realize that features and security come before UX in a product like this.

An important tool to secure your online presence

Bewertet am 20.12.2018
Brian S.
Co-Owner
Computer-Software, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Like many I've used Excel or post-it notes (shudder) to keep track of my passwords. I knew I should use a different password for each account, but it was so difficult to keep them straight. I investigated cloud-based services and with all the data breaches I just didn't trust that my accounts and passwords would be secure or that the company would even be around. I also wanted to access my passwords on my phone. So I chose keepass because I could store the vault-file on my DropBox which is also available on my android phone. And with the Android client I now have access to all my accounts and passwords on all my devices. All I have to remember is my keepass password which is very long, complex, and easy for me to remember. Everything else is random - I don't even know the passwords to my online accounts! I also imported my old Excel password spreadsheet into Keepass so I can consult it if I access a very old account, which prompts me to change the passwrod to a strong one generated by KeePass. Highly recommended!

Vorteile: Strong encryption
Helpful account & password organization
Clean upgrades
Works on Android!

Nachteile: Weak integration into web browsers
Other online services have an auto-password-change feature that would be nice

A simple, secure and free software for all your sensitive passwords.

Bewertet am 14.9.2018
Debjit B.
Freelancer
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, Selbstständig

Kommentare: This is my first software for password management and works just flawless when I use. It has a secure and open-source code which you can review anytime just set it up and forgot about any hassle and remembering your multiple passwords anymore. As it doesn't support simple cloud sync and low-quality android port app, it is hard for me to keep up with my increasing work devices. I really recommend this, but for its cloud-less feature's I have to use another option which provides me with online sync.

Vorteile: Free, Opensource and secure software to store all your valuable information. I love the open-source software because you can see the code which is being in charge of your safety. It generates a random password, stores securely your all passwords, notes, menu, contact details and everything else. You can import or export to any format CSV, HTML or any other, you are not limited to one platform.

Nachteile: Sometimes it crashes other than it is a good alternative. Low-quality android apps and lack of online/cloud sync. It is not as simple and user-friendly as other options available in the market currently.

KeePass - a great free password manager

Bewertet am 1.11.2019
researcher
Hochschulbildung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I have a very good experience with KeePass. I am using it for many years and it has never let me down. It helped me to manage my passwords and it is great that it is not only for free but that it is a genuine open-source application. I appreciate that I am in control of my passwords (i.e. the database with passwords) rather than a commercial company.

Vorteile: - It is not only free but open source. This means that the code can be checked by any programmer and it (hopefully) lowers the danger of any hack.
- It works on many different platforms, including Linux!
- The database with passwords is saved on your computer/your cloud and you have the control about it.
- Even though it is free, it gets security updates regularly.
- It does not take many resources from your computer/cell phone.

Nachteile: - It is a little bit clumsy and the UI is very conservative.
- On some platforms, it is necessary to use inofficial apps which may or may not work well.
- It does not have some fancy advanced features as commercial alternatives and it is not so much integrated into the OS.

Good secure personal password database - needs a sync method to work everywhere

Bewertet am 12.11.2018
Bill B.
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I use Keepass on my desktop, laptop and phone and sync the database among all three. I have access to my and my customers' passwords everywhere I need them. Use it many times a day, it's quick and simple.

Vorteile: Self-hosted local app, no risk of a cloud data breach. Of course that means the responsibility for protecting your data is up to you. Desktop app can auto-fill login forms, is customizable to adapt to different required keystroke sequences on a per-site basis. Can use local 2FA in the form of a master password + a local key file. Keep the file on removable storage and enhance your security. Includes a password generator with which you can set the desired characteristics of your passwords (length, character and symbol sets) and make up new ones on the fly.

Nachteile: Missing a way to share one group from a database. You can clone a file and then delete all the passwords except the set you want to pass on, but for customer management it would be useful to be able to take one group and give that database to another party.

Safe, localized password storage done right. Good for the paranoid.

Bewertet am 18.2.2019
Benjamin H.
Student
Computer-Software, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Great for security and convenience - have all your passwords in one place, and know it's being protected. Never worry about passwords left out on post-its again!

Vorteile: - Free and open source. It may be a placebo, but it helps me trust the intentions of the developers.
- No bloat. Extremely straightforward interface.
- Multiple options for protecting access to the database; personally, I just have a password, but you can also have a key file or link access to your Windows account.
- Built-in password generator, with multiple levels of complexity
- Extensive categorization options and functional search tool, if you need to manage large numbers of passwords

Nachteile: - One very minor irritation: if you're scrolling through the list and double-click on the info section of an entry instead of the name, it will copy the information to your clipboard instead of opening the entry. At first, I thought the program was just not responding; the two areas are close together and not clearly delineated, odd as it may sound.

KeePass - My review

Bewertet am 28.2.2019
Karolina K.
QA Project Manager
Pharmazeutika, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: KeePass enables me to store my passwords in one, encrypted database, so actually, I need to remember password key to get access to hundreds of them. Also, the portables version is pretty useful because of frequent travels.

Vorteile: KeePass is a free password manager, which supports Windows and has unofficial versions for Linux, Mac OS X, and mobile devices which you can find on the official KeePass website. The software is open-source and free of charge in contrast to the competition. KeePass supports several encryption standards, AES and Twofish, that are very secure. The databases are stored locally by default, but the manager could be customized to use cloud storage to sync data. There is also a portable version of the software on a USB flash drive, that allows you to keep your password database around. KeePass is fully customizable so that you can divide your passwords into categories to separate data if you use different databases for specific actions. Importing the data from web browsers, password managers, and generic password files is seamless.

Nachteile: Using KeePass for the first time might be obscure, as the program brings up a clean interface and it may take some time to get started with it so that I suggest looking for a tutorial to configure the tool correctly.

This century must-have!

Bewertet am 24.4.2019
Wiktoria A.
Systems Engineer
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Personally, I've never met a single person in development environments I've ever worked in who hasn't been using KeePass. It's a completely must-have for any sysadmin or developer - it's the only way to somehow handle with all hundreds of admin and user accounts we need to have for everyday work.
By keeping database file in the cloud I can access all my passwords from different machines and still don't be afraid of any data leak.

Vorteile: As it's open source software, it's allowed in most companies. Simply and easy to use - no unnecessary additions. KeePass can generate a secure password if we run out of imagination. Completely free and works on most common systems (Win, Mac, Linux, Android), so there is no need to look for paid competition on different devices!

Nachteile: If credentials fields' are separated by any element, autotype doesn't skip it and in effect doesn't work. Too crude appearance - it reminds me Windows 98 style. No possibility to store more login data than username and password.

Great Password Manager - with Some Caveats

Bewertet am 5.11.2018
Nicholas T.
Independent Contract Attorney at Epiq Legal
Rechtsberatung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: This is good software that does exactly what it says it will do. There isn't cloud connectivity and if you want this to be the one-size-fits-all solution, you're going to have to come up with a workaround for this. But, in the limited and as-advertised set of features of KeePass, you're going to be very happy, especially considering the price.

Vorteile: The price is right on this - it is free software, with a variant existing for Windows, Mac, iOS and most likely Android. It allows you to use a single incredibly secure password to be the only one you ever need - you can generate passwords for all your logins and keep everything stored in an encrypted file.

Nachteile: There isn't any cloud connectivity with this - if you're logging in on multiple devices then you'll need to keep a single file up to date and accessable on all of your terminals. Since most people login via at least one PC and a phone, there is a major pain point right there.

Can't do without it.

Bewertet am 4.12.2018
Travis H.
Computer Programmer

Kommentare: As a software developer, I have a lot of different passwords. They're for different servers, websites, etc. My customers trusted me with this information, so they need to be kept in a very secure and reliable place. The way I set this up, I have a secure key file stored on a USB drive, with the passwords database stored in a separate location. I printed out the secure file, it's just a bunch of characters I could easily type in manually if I ever lose the USB drive. I keep that in a locked file cabinet as a backup in case the USB goes missing, or is corrupted. This setup has proved to be very reliable, and I've never had any issues with it.

Vorteile: It runs on all the operating systems I use: Mac, Windows, Linux, and Android. It has a portable version that I can keep on a USB drive. I like the feature to generate random secure passwords. I use that all the time.

Nachteile: The interface is a little outdated. It can be difficult to get everything organized, but it does the job well, so that's not a big issue.

Works across multiple platforms sans internet- but not quite consistent across them

Bewertet am 5.10.2017
Nicole O.
Internet

Kommentare: Safe reliable password management for us and our clients.

Vorteile: We needed an ideally open source password management system. I didn't want anything tied into a particular browser and I wanted something we could back up. Keepass was the least annoying of what I looked at. It is easy to generate passwords and we save our file onto a shared server so all employees can access it. The search function works well and we estimate between the search function and the autotyping, we've saved hours as a company in worktime.

Nachteile: The Mac version allows me to alphabetize listings (you have to drag them) but since I work on my PC most of the time, it can get annoying. Also sometimes it's hard to know when you are synchronizing versions if it's really synchronizing or you are saving over someone's work. It is free though and I get that limits the features and support that can be expected.

A simple and lightweight credential storage application to get you started with managing passwords.

Bewertet am 19.3.2018
Active Director Administrator

Vorteile: It's free, and it's a great start for managing usernames and passwords. Password database encryption is built in. Multiple OS support (Mac/Win/Linux) Password Entry History is very nice in case you need to know prior passwords or make a mistake submitting a password to an entry. Quick double-click shortcut for copying/pasting passwords from KeePass to other application text fields. It only saves the string in memory for a few seconds. A surprising amount of add-ons and plugins for browsers are available for KeePass, due to a high adoption rate of this product.

Nachteile: I am not certain, but two factor authentication integration would be a nice-to-have feature. I would like to see a KeePass offering that would allow me to access a single credential store on all of my endpoints machines.

Great password keeper

Bewertet am 23.6.2019
Jenna M.
IT support consultant

Vorteile: I like that this is firstly and open source product, secondly that it is encrypted and thirdly that it is stored locally. Being stored locally for me is what sets this from all the other password managers as they are predominately online, if they are ever hacked your data could be exposed. You set up a password database locally (can be shared with others) and you enter your password to access the database. You can play around with this so that for each password you can auto fill details on webpages/servers. You program each entry individually so for example if you need to enter your username, password then hit enter to login. You can program the app to do so.

Nachteile: Being picky, the ordering of groups is quite manual, would love it if you could drag and drop.

Reliable and versatile password manager

Bewertet am 15.8.2018
Health Information Manager
Regierungsbeziehungen, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I don't know how I would survive in this day and age without Keepass. I have login credentials for over 200 accounts stored in it and could not possibly remember them all without it. This is must have software.

Vorteile: I love that Keepass is available for so many platforms. I'm able to manage my passwords on my Windows laptop, android and IOS devices using the same software and password database which is encrypted in the cloud. Software is easy to setup and use and allows you to categorize login accounts/passwords for easy retrieval. Also allows eascy copy/paste of password from Keepass to whatever login application needed. Perhaps the best part is that depending upon the platform it is either free for just a few dollars to purchase.

Nachteile: I don't have any dislikes with Keepass, it does exactly what I need.

The best password manager for local use

Bewertet am 8.10.2019
Hardian N.
Digital Marketing & Media Officer
Lebensmittelproduktion, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: this is the first password manager i ever have, open source, still using it after a couple of year but only for a couple of master password, as i often use password manager built in firefox or bitwarden

Vorteile: - very very safe, the only way to hack this is if you have physical access to laptop/computer itself
- clear clipboard after 10s so we can't copy paste later on
- great password generator
- light weight app, can be use as an portable apps in usb
- doesnt need internet connect to the password database
- free

Nachteile: - UI is a bit dated
- must save manually every time i create a password account
- version 1 and version 2 are different database have to update manually to use the database password
- no firefox pluggin
- the biggest of all is no sync, you can sync it with google drive or dropbox for the database password