Superb cloud-based software tool with powerful text analytics with social media integration.

Bewertet am 19.12.2017
Wasim A.
Teaching Assistant & Demonstrator
Hochschulbildung

Kommentare: It allowed me to conduct research that otherwise would not have been possible including both industry and academic projects.

Vorteile: The ability for those from the social sciences to be able to import and/or retrieve social media data, including historical data from Twitter, and analyse the data in order to answer research questions. This is because other tools may require a computer science background. Consequently, DiscoverText has been used in answering important social science questions leading to peer reviewed outputs. Over the years I have seen many tools appear and slowly wither away, however, DiscoverText has stood the test of time and has been growing in popularity. DiscoverText is not limited to academic uses and has a number of neat uses in the commercial world. A useful feature applicable to the commercial domain is the ability to retrieve and/or import data from Twitter and identify influential Twitter users, with the additional ability to use machine learning to sift influential users into different groups. For example, a football club may be interested to find out whether influential users are fans of the club or whether it is opposition fans causing a storm. To the best of my knowledge, no other tool is capable of doing this with this level of accuracy.

Nachteile: To be fair this is not a limitation of DiscoverText per se, as this is a restriction from Twitter, but there is a limit to how many units of tweets can be exported per day. This is not a major issue because there are enough features in DiscoverText that you may not necessarily need to export the data. This is particularly true with a recent integration with NodeXL which provides the ability to export directly to a format supported by NodeXL.

DiscoverText is a great tool for collecting, sorting, and analyzing data

Bewertet am 25.2.2018
Brittany A.
PhD Student

Vorteile: DiscoverText is a great tool for collecting, sorting, and analyzing data. The platform allows for collection of data from various networks, such as Twitter. I mainly use the platform for coding and machine-classification of tweets. The import feature allows for integration between DiscoverText and other interfaces. For a client project, our data was collected from another toolkit and formatted in an Excel CSV. We were able to import the data into DiscoverText and use the platform to code and machine-classify the tweets. When working with multiple coders, the platform enables you to quickly and efficiently measure inter-coder reliability, which is helpful to determine validity of codes and which categories may need re-classification. I also like the export feature, which allows you to export coding/classification reports. The platform produces different visualizations (e.g. pie charts/graphs) of the coding breakdown, or you can export the entire report into another file (such as a CSV). Overall, I've had a great experience using DiscoverText for both in-class and client research projects. I will continue to use the platform for future research projects, especially the coding and machine-classification functionalities!

Nachteile: When first using the software, it could be a little difficult for a beginning user to identify where all of the features are located and their specific purpose (e.g. exporting reports, buckets, duplicating a dataset). However, the training sessions, video tutorials, and manuals are very insightful and can help immensely with learning of the new features. As with any new platform, it just takes a bit of time to learn all of the features!

von Texifter an 7.3.2018

Thanks very much for this detailed review Brittany. As always, if we can do anything to help, drop us a line or schedule a web meeting.

Best,
~Stu

A much better way to scrape data than learning how to code an API

Bewertet am 29.12.2018
Christine A.
Water Treatment Consultant
Umweltdienstleistungen, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I'm a PhD candidate who straddles the Humanities and Social Sciences, so I use DiscoverText as a research tool.

Vorteile: My review of DiscoverText is a bit limited because I'm really only using it for Twitter. That said, the features are incredible. I know a bit about coding, but the prospect of learning JSON to use Twitter's API was doable but daunting. When I came across DiscoverText I was so pleased to find a way to search, use, and categorize Twitter data that made sense and would save me A LOT of time. I didn't anticipate getting access to so much useful metadata that was easy to navigate and use, so I was pleasantly surprised. The built-in bucket and dataset features are great ways to organize the massive amount of Twitter data that can be collected. The ability to code the data with peers within DiscoverText is also super useful. I really can't exaggerate how many features DiscoverText has that I didn't think I would need but have used to improve the quality of my scholarship.

Nachteile: The software has many features that I didn't find on my own, so the UI could be improved a bit. That said, the one-on-one tutorial that the founder provides helps mitigate this issue. The tutorial videos are helpful too! You'll just have to be prepared to set aside a few hours to really learn the program.

von Texifter an 2.1.2019

Dear Christine,

It is really hard to express how inspirational a review like this is. You have really made our day. We are looking at 2019 trying to decide if this is the year to build v2 of a 9 year old interface. Thanks for embracing buckets & datasets; this was a tough sell to some folks over the years, but they are critical to User success.

We are very grateful you took the time to write this generous review. Please write us if we can do anything for you.

~Stu

Unique tool for academic research with a wide range of features

Bewertet am 10.10.2018
Antonia S.
Researcher
Forschung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We are an academic institution using Discovertext to study social media use related to disaster preparedness and response. We’ve used the platform to code, filter, classify and analyze historical Twitter data (about 1.5 million tweets), which has opened new opportunities in academic research of social media use. We have used collaborative coding processes and individual coding, the combination of which makes this platform a unique tool for data analysis. We hope it continues to exist and improve as it provides a great service for research like ours.

Vorteile: - The software allows to code and machine-classify thousands of tweets per day through its filtering, search and other advanced features.
- The fact that is cloud-based makes it very convenient to work collaboratively with very large amounts of data from anywhere.
- The metadata and tag cloud features are very useful throughout the whole coding and analysis processes.
Customer support is great and normally very timely.

Nachteile: The software has many extremely useful features, but sometimes it has been hard to keep track of exactly how to use them and where to find them, especially because they are constantly evolving as the developers improve existing features, and add new features and functionalities. It would be helpful to have online User Manual that contains the exact way to use function, what each function does, and how to access them easily.

von Texifter an 26.4.2019

Dear Antonia,

It has been a pleasure working with your group and I hope the research continues to bear fruit for you and the team.

We are very grateful for this careful and thoughtful review.

Regards,
~Stu

A perfect tool to explore, collect, search, store, manage, code and classify the Twitter universe.

Bewertet am 3.1.2018
Principal Research Scientist
Forschung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: The ability to work with Twitter data.

Vorteile: As a social scientist, I lack the computational skills to work with Twitter data. In fact, Im not interested in doing data science, I want to do social science. DiscoverText allows me to collect and analyze large batches of Twitter data. Many of my colleagues spend hours having students copy and paste tweets into the Excel. DiscoverText is a breeze.

Nachteile: There are a number of different classification algorithms like linear or logistic regression, decision tree, SVM, and random forest. DiscoverText just uses naive bayes. I wish the software allowed for more different types of these algorithms.

von Texifter an 24.1.2018

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We do have a long term road map that calls for exactly what you are asking for. It is my hope that we can launch a new extension of the platform to host other classifiers. We agree that the inclusion of other approaches would represent an exciting next step in the evolution of the platform. We literally aspire to be the iTunes of machine classifiers ;-)

So, I promise it will happen some day. For now, the uClassify engine that we license is working great on all languages and in all sorts of projects.

~Stu

Honestly,I can say DiscoverText makes analyzing social data not only easier, but also more enjoyable

Bewertet am 1.1.2018
Hossein K.
Research Fellow and Adjunct Professor

Kommentare: It provides me more opportunities for working on my projects. Using it, I have access to many ways for doing research on social media data which have not before.

Vorteile: First, it is so easy to learn and use. Moreover, the DiscoverText founders provided some helpful tutorials and educational videos which are so handy and helpful. This software allows users to makes several datasets of one project. This enables a researcher to work on multi-dimentions of a certain project needless to create different ones. Furthermore, you can create a sample of your data very easily by making a dataset. Its buckets are very interesting also. Additionally, you can make some clouds of data by using cloud explorer feature. Finally, Clustering option is great! it makes working on big data easy and shows the main trends in them quickly.

Nachteile: As I can say, sometimes users may get confused by many links and pages. So, maybe finding what you want becomes difficult and you have to try some ways. Another con, in my point of view, is the obscurity of metadata meanings and algorithms. I cannot understand what some of the means and how they are calculated. Furthermore, I think some of metadata can be presented in some more useful ways. But at all, I should confess the metadata explorer is a great ability!

von Texifter an 24.1.2018

Thanks Hossein for an excellent review. We are preparing a new blog post now with a Metadata Dictionary for Gnip Twitter data. We agree that some of the fields are a bit confusing and we hope this new blog post will make the meaning of some of the fields more transparent.

We have been using the software to study twitter conversations on immigration going back to 2013.

Bewertet am 29.1.2018
Jim W.
Director, Center for Social Science Research & Professor of Sociology
Hochschulbildung

Kommentare: Easy data capture

Vorteile: It's ability to capture tweets and now the capacity to export to NodeXL gives us two tools that we use together to study the content and structure of immigration conversations onTwitter.

Nachteile: At times navigating the menus is counter-intuitive as is some of the terminology. Archives, buckets, datasets all kind of run into one another.

von Texifter an 30.1.2018

Dear Jim,

Thanks for your and the generosity of your Tweets. We really appreciate that!

I'd like the opportunity to visit GMU to make the case that archives, buckets, and datasets are essential parts of the text analytics methods we have engineered. Please email info@texifter.com if you would like to host a free workshop.

Briefly:

- Archives are raw data.
- Buckets are subsets of raw data.
- Datasets are coded by humans.

Most projects proceed from 1 or more archives, to many buckets, to a series of codeable datasets. For example:

- Collect 100,000 #metoo tweets
- Deduplicate the archive
- Create a bucket of seeds and singles
- Search the bucket for key terms
- Create a new bucket with results
- Create a dataset and code it for relevance
- Train a relevance classifier
- Apply the classifier to new archive samples
- Repeat as needed

The key point is that raw data is messy in the archives, cleaner in buckets, and fully refined and classified in datasets.

Easy and intuitive research tool, great for qualitative research that involves social media data

Bewertet am 12.6.2018
Lab & Research Spec II

Kommentare: Quick way to collect and analyse data, also very mobile phones and tablets friendly.

Vorteile: Well again, DiscoverText is really intuitive to use, I did read and look at some videos before using it but it wasn't necessary. I have used other qualitative analysis software and although they were a little different, I would say that DiscoverText is the easiest to get familiar with, just set up your themes, categories and start coding. Also something to consider in my opinion is the ease to navigate through the website, not overly complicated, nice blue/gray theme that won't feel heavy after hours spent on the PC.

Nachteile: Only one maybe, if there are a few coders coding at the same time the same project the software can become a little slower.

von Texifter an 13.6.2018

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for this delightful take on the interface. Reading reviews, it is often the case that users underestimate what it might take to overhaul the front end. We would like to, but a bigger company tried in 2013, spent $1M, then gave up, so for now we tinker at the edges to make the experience usable.

I think you are absolutely on target about our goal not to overcomplicate coding (labeling, tagging, or annotation to some). Out first open source tool was devoted to recording observations about text with minimal interaction with a mouse (hence the keystroke coding).

Since then, many layers of functionality have emerged, but at teh core, it is the interface for displaying text/Tweets, the auto-loading of items to be coded, and the project management/measurement features, that are the kernel of our success.

Stu

DiscoverText is unique--it has the best mix of human coding and machine learning I have found.

Bewertet am 6.4.2018
Patricia R.
Prof./Director
Fundraising, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Combines data collection, human coding, machine coding and then easily exports to other software packages for additional analysis. Saves a huge amount of time.

Vorteile: The dashboard allows our lab group to see multiple projects at once and keep track of the data feeds so we know how quickly we are collecting data on particular topics. It also has many useful functions like tracking topics over time, data cleaning support, analyzing social media meta-data and exporting data into other tools like NodeXL.

Nachteile: Most everything is pretty intuitive and support is very fast. My biggest challenge was setting up hierarchical coding schemes, which can be challenging until you create a template that can be reused.

von Texifter an 9.4.2018

Dr. Riley,

Thanks for the feedback. We really appreciate it.

~Stu

Useful software, very helpful team

Bewertet am 13.11.2018
Spencer G.
Assistant Professor
Hochschulbildung, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I used DiscoverText after hearing about them on the Association of Internet Researchers mailing list. Stu and his team helped me put together a Twitter dataset that I'd been trying to put together through other methods—never without any success. This is a huge step forward for some of the research that I'm trying to do; I'm already getting some interest in the data and my analysis of it, and I couldn't have done it without DiscoverText!

Vorteile: DiscoverText worked exactly as hoped, but the most impressive thing is how helpful and personal the DiscoverText team was with helping me with the particular request that I had.

Nachteile: Figuring out how to download the raw data took a little bit of time. I can't blame DiscoverText for wanting me to stick with their interface and their tools, but it was still a little annoying that it took a while to get to what I needed.

von Texifter an 14.11.2018

Professor Greenhalgh,

Thank-you for taking the time to write a detailed review. It really helps us out.

I feel it is important to clarify that the frustration you express is with a policy set by Twitter that we built into DiscoverText to stay compliant with the Twitter Terms of Service. You are not alone wanting more direct access to raw data, but the issue was and remains that Twitter does not allow us to provide that direct raw data download access without:

a) some transformation of the data, and
b) a daily export limit of 50,000 items.

We did not make the rule; we simply obeyed it.

For the record, our platform's live connection to the Twitter display, and our ability to suppress deleted Tweets, are two of the many reasons why you are better off keeping data in DiscoverText. For inter-operability with Gephi or NodeXL, we still have the graphml export option.

At the very least, using our tools to create clean, legal, focused, exports is an option.

~Stu

Much easier to code textual datasets than using spreadsheets

Bewertet am 12.12.2017
John P.
Consultant
Informationsdienst, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Can remove duplicate to reduce the time it takes to code a dataset.
Great for: employee satisfaction surveys, customer satisfaction surveys, marketing surveys
Can supply your own data, such as from a survey, in various formats including text and Excel spreadsheet.
Can acquire data from social media including Facebook, Twitter, and others.

Vorteile: Working as an independent consultant, I have had opportunities to help some clients analyze textual data through coding exercises. The first exercise was to examine customer feedback that had been collected by a weel-known hotel/travel review site. The customer's feedback data was tallied and processed with spreadseets, which was very cumbersome because quite a bit of horizontal scrolling across the spreadsheet's columns was required to enter customer's sentiments about the hotel. After becoming familiar with DiscoverText, I estimated that the same exercise could probably have been accomplished in half the time. Coding can be designed so that the coders simply have to select a number (e.g., 1 through 5) or from a list of predefined sentiments (e.g., staff was friendly, the hotel was clean, elevator did not work, etc.). More recently I have used DiscoverText on several projects, including attendee's comments about a local music festival, an employee satisfaction survey, and tweets about a clothing and accessories brand.

Nachteile: The interface takes a little getting used to. I suggest you practice with a small sample dataset before launching into a huge research project.

Discover Text for academic study

Bewertet am 30.1.2019
Morgan D.
Graduate Research Fellow
Forschung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Discover text has been an incredible resource to explore crisis communication. The founder is particularly dedicated to his product and has held numerous one on one tutorial sessions for me.

Vorteile: The advanced filtration tool allows you to sort of metadata tags like the geolocation of a tweet, which is extremely useful for academic work. This software is a great platform for an engineering academic like me to ease into the fields of text analytics and sentiment analysis.

Nachteile: Like any software there is a learning curve for Discover text. Rely on the vast tutorial library to get through tasks., and sometimes the distinctions between data levels (buckets vs datasets) can be confusing.

von Texifter an 1.2.2019

Morgan,

That is a very generous review. You are right that as a founder, the software acquires the status of a family member; almost a beloved child.

There was a time "buckets" were on the chopping block (not my idea) and I fought it. Buckets are critical parts of projects. Here is how I explain it to people now:

ARCHIVES: Raw text and metadata (static or live feeds updating) that can be manipulated without changing the raw data archive.

BUCKETS: Sub-sets of raw data (search, filter, code, cluster, classify and then mix and match techniques to make buckets).

DATASETS: Samples for human coding and machine learning.

One advantage to this structure is continual LOW-RISK experimentation. Try one pathway, if it works, keep going, if not, try an alternate route informed by previous failures.

People often ask: what comes first? Once the data is loaded, that is up to you. There is no A,B, C path the same for all. The platform supports qual, quant, and mixed methods.

Great Collaborative Text Analytics System

Bewertet am 29.7.2018
Data Analyst
Staatsverwaltung

Vorteile: DiscoverTest (DT) is great at what it was intended to be used for. DT makes it easy to schedule fetches from leading social media and information websites, and allows the user to specifically get the data they are looking for. We have used DT for 2 different projects so far and it seems to work great for our team of analysts.

Nachteile: DiscoverTest has a relatively steep learning curve, and therefore can be intimidating to new users. It is well worth your time though, as the features far outweigh the learning curve.

von Texifter an 10.8.2018

Thank you for your review. DiscoverText is indeed a powerful tool, and therefore does take some time to learn all of its features. We try to make this easier with our training resources.

We offer web demo meetings, video tutorials, and a knowledge base full of documentation that we hope you find insightful and helpful when learning the features of DiscoverText and Sifter.

Stu Shulman, the founder of Texifter, conducts webinars all the time to train people on the features best suited for research. You can schedule a webinar at:

Video tutorials:

Support Documentation & Knowledge Base:

Best regards,
Stu

I've been using it for several years for analyzing customer data and Twitter data.

Bewertet am 14.12.2017
Gabriela Z.
Independent Researcher
Computer-Software

Kommentare: It's easy to create and code a dataset, and it is a particularly useful software to work with a team of coders in the same dataset.

Vorteile: My favorite feature about this software is the fact that it allows multiple coders to easily work on a coding project. So if you have a lot of data, you can load the data on DiscoverText, set up some codes, and have several people work at the same time with coding. It will provide you with a report of what each coder did for how long etc, and also will allow you to export the results.
You can also import data directly from Twitter using the search API. Coders can see the actual tweet when coding, which helps speed up the coding process. You can also export the data to NodeXL in order to generate social graph and calculate social network analysis metrics.
For a fee, it is also possible to get access to GNIP and the entire historical archive of tweets.
DiscoverText is not limited to Twitter, you can import data from other sources (including SurveyMonkey). As a researcher working with Twitter, for me the most valuable tool is the ability to easily create and code a Twitter dataset.

Nachteile: Sometimes it will let two coders work on the same item if they access the item at the same time. Not allowing this could speed up the process.

Our goal was to get a historical tweets and do an linguistic analysis.

Bewertet am 12.3.2018
Egor S.
Research Assistant

Vorteile: - teamwork friendly
- support different types of file extraction
- directly support of Gnip Feed Management
- parallel possibility to work on different project
- support of: Facebooks, LinkedLn

Nachteile: - just 15 exports could be saved parallel in the system at any given time (so sometimes you need more files to extract parallel)
- exports have just 1 week time of expiration (it is tooooo small)
- don't have command line API

von Texifter an 15.3.2018

Egor,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. It contains some good ideas, some of which we might be able to act on, but others are beyond our control.

The regulation of Twitter exports, for example, is set by the Terms of Service of Twitter. We are specifically barred, as are all vendors, from setting up a command line API to facilitate the process. The save as CSV is a very strict guideline and engineering what you want would result in Texifter losing access to Twitter data. So, it is a "con" of working with Twitter data, not DiscoverText.

I'd like to hear more about why you need to store links to more than 15 exports simultaneously. Since you can only create 1/day of 50,000 Tweets, and the purpose is to export it, not store the CSV link in a list inside DiscoverText, why would you need a list of more than 15 links to files? Presumably you have already exported. I have the same question with the duration. Once the data is downloaded, why must the link endure?

Twitter and text analysis

Bewertet am 21.4.2019
Demirdis S.
Full Time PhD Student
Hochschulbildung, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Discovertext provides huge number of filtering options. I am doing a research about Twitter users and my data size is very large. Firstly, Discovertext help me to clean my data by using duplicate and near duplicate functions. Secondly, Coding is very easy by using Discovertext, It is really time saver. I should classify key influencers and most retweeted tweets etc., It has easily done by provided filters. Finally, Discovertext automatically create reports related to results.

Nachteile: Sometimes, I do not understand some filtering options and could not find a information about them but helps always provided by customer support quickly.

von Texifter an 26.4.2019

Demirdis,

Thanks for sharing the feedback and we are always happy to sort out anything that might be a challenge.

Good luck with your work!
Thank-you,
~Stu

It's a great tool to code big or even vast amounts of data in an efficient way. It work very well!

Bewertet am 8.6.2018
Max S.
Staff Position

Vorteile: It is easy to use, very intuitive, it gives you the basic options and functions in a clear design. Through the annotation tool, it is easy to amend the existing coding scheme and hint to anything problematic. This way you can also easily communicate with other users who you work on a project with. I really like the elegance of the program! It works very well for both rather simple (even binary) and truly elaborate and detailed coding schemes.

Nachteile: the only real problem I encountered was that it can be annoying to jump back to an already coded item (for instance if you realized you made a mistake or want to add an annotation): if you use the "back" function it brings you to the previous numerical item which might not be the one you coded but one someone else is coding at the same time. Then you have to keep clicking "back" until your item reappears. This should be fixed. It is, however, a rare issue.

von Texifter an 11.6.2018

Max,

Thanks for this idea and the generous review. It makes perfect sense and we will engineer a solution for that immediately.

Stu

Excellent software and after sales support

Bewertet am 23.1.2018
Joseph D.
Postdoctoral Fellow
Forschung

Kommentare: Made my research possible, cant overstate how important it has been for me!

Vorteile: Discovertext has enabled me, a non-IT specialist, to create, sort and purchase large scale twitter data sets for qualitative academic research. As a platform it is extremely user friendly and intuitive and took very little time for me to become comfortable with. It is also always accessible, I have logged in all over the world and have never had any problems with the platform. However, like all software platforms, the platform is only as good as the after sales support. Thankfully, Discovertext has the best post-sales service of any company I have worked with, they are always accessible and you always get a real human at the end of the phone who knows the software inside and out where else do you regularly get to speak to the founder of the software and the CEO of the company on a regular basis for after sales help. Thus, to me, you can't go wrong with discovertext and I have no complaints.

Discovertext is a great tool!It helps you make sense out of messy, unstructured data.

Bewertet am 14.3.2018
Nurgul B.
Graduate Student

Vorteile: It is easy to use. It is also fast in clustering and filtering data. I like the word cloud function which gives primary insights about your data.

Nachteile: I found the advanced filters sometimes to be not accurate. Also, there should be an option of deleting data from a data set. It can get really difficult to create a sub data set without deleting function.

von Texifter an 15.3.2018

Hi Nurgul,

Thanks for the review. It contains a really good suggestion whose time may have arrived.

For a variety of reasons, we have never enabled the deleting of items. Instead, we typically use human coding and/or machine-learning to identify items that are not relevant, then we create new buckets and datasets of just the items we want to focus on.

The advantage is that you retain all the data and can make the details of the cleaning process transparent to your audience. For example, we collected x Tweets, refined the set to x minus y Tweets, and so on.

Also, this method scales up. As you refine the machine-learning relevance model (let's call it a "deletion" model), you can collect larger and larger sets and use machine classification to achieve the same effect as a much more time consuming manual deletion.

Having said that, lots of people ask for a delete button and we will put it under consideration as a new feature.

Online data mining tool

Bewertet am 31.7.2018
Adiman A.
Student
Bildungsmanagement, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Great software for those who want to gain insights from social media platforms.

Vorteile: I use the software to do analysis of historical data from Twitter. The software provides various features to extract insights from Twitter metadata. Customised customer support.

Nachteile: As with other online analytic software, you have to pay additional fee to use advance features. The standard features is good enough for analytics (using this for masters dissertation).

von Texifter an 13.8.2018

Hi Adiman,

Good to hear that you are discovering insights from Twitter metadata. Fortunately there are ways to manage the cost, such as obtaining price estimates via Sifter or obtaining a representative sample (a certain percentage) of the data.

You might find the following helpful in this regard:

We really appreciate your thoughtful review. Best regards,

Highly flexible, Incredible service

Bewertet am 18.12.2017
Bernard F.
Professor

Vorteile: I've been using DiscoverText to analyze lots of short texts (reviews on websites). DiscoverText is not restricted to social media: one can import data from text files or excel spreadsheets to run analyses. I was also able to teach the software how to categorize data using machine learning, with a pre-existing coding grid I had. This is kind of unusual, and I wouldn't have been able to do this without the *fantastic* help from people at DiscoverText. None of my questions was left unanswered, I have not yet bumped into software-related limitations, and the level of support I enjoyed from DiscoverText is hands down the best I ever had.

Nachteile: It would be great if we could find tutorials, manuals, examples Although DiscoverText is fairly easy for "standard" use, it can do much more, but I couldn't find much in terms of documentation (which is the reason why I had to bug the nice people at DiscoverText ;-)

Great preprocessing. The software is perfect to use.

Bewertet am 12.6.2018
Junegak J.
Researcher
Marktforschung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Preprocessing to perform my algorithm.

Vorteile: Export function is so nice. To write a research paper, I should perform my algorithm. That's why export function (excel format) is suitable to academic scholars. Basic statistics and graph are also nice because they give insights on the data.

Nachteile: The software is great. However, Twitter pricing policy is barriers to scholars. Pricing on the volume of tweets is acceptable, but pricing of the period makes researcher hard. For example, the researcher needs to monitor at least 1 month. Then, daily pricing is so excessive although the volume of tweets is small. Therefore, the pricing policy will affect the popularity of the software.

von Texifter an 12.6.2018

Thanks for the review. The price to access Twitter data is based on a model Twitter developed. We have to use that model. You are describing the $25/day for historical Twitter access via Sifter (which is in fact a separate application).

DiscoverText users are mostly not Sifter users, rather, they collect realtime data, or they upload their own data. Some DiscoverText users get their Twitter data access through Sifter, but that pricing is not a part of DiscoverText.

Stu

DT has been my favorite tool for text coding and data collection for a long time.

Bewertet am 22.12.2017
Miao F.
Graduate assistant
Hochschulbildung, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I've done many research projects with this software.

Vorteile: First, DT is incredibly user-friendly, especially for newbies even those who have never done any textual analysis before. I use DT myself and I trained several coders -- it's easy and straightforward and no confusion. Second, I've done coding using DT in foreign languages like Chinese and Spanish. Again, there's no difference in using the services with other languages. Third, it's convenient to compare coding results among coders and easy to export the files. Fourth, data collection via DT was pretty good as well.

Nachteile: Depending on where you access DT, sometimes it gets a little bit slower. Also, make sure you export your data often, it won't keep it forever.

I chose Discover text to collect Tweets for internal research.

Bewertet am 11.1.2018
Asset specialist & Business Developer
Internet

Vorteile: It provides customers good quality of Tweets. The customer support is very good. it is possible tu use Paypal to buy data.

Nachteile: It should be less complicated. The UI of the product should get improved. They don't provide any kind of contract when customers buy data but they just are able to send an invoice with the costs you have to afford.

von Texifter an 24.1.2018

Thanks for taking the time to write the review. It is true we do not send out a contract with the purchase of Twitter data access. We do have a simple agreement model:

- Three free estimates per day
- $25 per day of data retrieval
- $7.50 per 10,000 tweets

Any Sifter purchase includes 14 days of Enterprise DiscoverText access. This enables up to three users to collaborate on the dataset. If you spend more than $500, we will provide the software free for 30 days for up to five users. All purchases over $1500 come with 60 days of gratis access to the full suite of DiscoverText for up to 10 users.

Sifter strictly adheres to the Twitter Terms of Service, the Twitter Rules, the Twitter Developer Agreement and Policy, and the Twitter Privacy Policy.

For more information about the Terms of Service, please contact stu@texifter.com.

Great way to gather and analyze data. A couple times when I was coding the software kicked me off

Bewertet am 6.3.2018
Katie W.
Student

Kommentare: I have already recommended this to a classmate working on a similar project. This software has enabled me to gather historical twitter data from several months ago which is not possible with most other software.

Vorteile: The features to manipulate and visualize data are very helpful. I especially like the sifter features like the cloud generator and the ability to display the most used single, biad, or triad terms. The meta data tools are also excellent!

Nachteile: It sometimes glitches. I thought my login may have timed out, so I returned to the login page but I was still logged in. I returned to my batch coding process and it took a while to pick back up where I left off. Sometimes the processing speed is slow (which is understandable, though, with large amounts of data)

von Texifter an 7.3.2018

Hi Katie: Thanks for the review. We really appreciate the feedback.

I see you might be in need of some customer support. We love to work one on one with customers via web meetings. They are fun and usually both sides learn great things.

Let me know if you want to chat: