Über DiscoverText

Webbasierte, kollaborative Textanalyse für Wissenschaftler, Unternehmen und Regierungen, um Texte zu suchen, filtern, clustern und klassifizieren.

Erfahre mehr über DiscoverText

Coder monitoring/adjudication feature made it possible to coordinate a team of researchers sitting in different countries. Excellent customer support.

Bewertungen zu DiscoverText

DiscoverText hat eine Gesamtbewertung von 4,6 von 5 Sternen basierend auf 116 Nutzerbewertungen auf Capterra.

Hast du DiscoverText bereits verwendet?

Wasim
Wasim
Teaching Assistant & Demonstrator in UK
Hochschulbildung

Superb cloud-based software tool with powerful text analytics with social media integration.

Kommentare: It allowed me to conduct research that otherwise would not have been possible including both industry and academic projects.

The ability for those from the social sciences to be able to import and/or retrieve social media data, including historical data from Twitter, and analyse the data in order to answer research questions. This is because other tools may require a computer science background. Consequently, DiscoverText has been used in answering important social science questions leading to peer reviewed outputs. Over the years I have seen many tools appear and slowly wither away, however, DiscoverText has stood the test of time and has been growing in popularity. DiscoverText is not limited to academic uses and has a number of neat uses in the commercial world. A useful feature applicable to the commercial domain is the ability to retrieve and/or import data from Twitter and identify influential Twitter users, with the additional ability to use machine learning to sift influential users into different groups. For example, a football club may be interested to find out whether influential users are fans of the club or whether it is opposition fans causing a storm. To the best of my knowledge, no other tool is capable of doing this with this level of accuracy.

To be fair this is not a limitation of DiscoverText per se, as this is a restriction from Twitter, but there is a limit to how many units of tweets can be exported per day. This is not a major issue because there are enough features in DiscoverText that you may not necessarily need to export the data. This is particularly true with a recent integration with NodeXL which provides the ability to export directly to a format supported by NodeXL.

Christine
Christine
Water Treatment Consultant in USA
Umweltdienstleistungen, 1.001–5.000 Mitarbeiter

A much better way to scrape data than learning how to code an API

Kommentare: I'm a PhD candidate who straddles the Humanities and Social Sciences, so I use DiscoverText as a research tool.

My review of DiscoverText is a bit limited because I'm really only using it for Twitter. That said, the features are incredible. I know a bit about coding, but the prospect of learning JSON to use Twitter's API was doable but daunting. When I came across DiscoverText I was so pleased to find a way to search, use, and categorize Twitter data that made sense and would save me A LOT of time. I didn't anticipate getting access to so much useful metadata that was easy to navigate and use, so I was pleasantly surprised. The built-in bucket and dataset features are great ways to organize the massive amount of Twitter data that can be collected. The ability to code the data with peers within DiscoverText is also super useful. I really can't exaggerate how many features DiscoverText has that I didn't think I would need but have used to improve the quality of my scholarship.

The software has many features that I didn't find on my own, so the UI could be improved a bit. That said, the one-on-one tutorial that the founder provides helps mitigate this issue. The tutorial videos are helpful too! You'll just have to be prepared to set aside a few hours to really learn the program.

Antwort von Texifter

Dear Christine, It is really hard to express how inspirational a review like this is. You have really made our day. We are looking at 2019 trying to decide if this is the year to build v2 of a 9 year old interface. Thanks for embracing buckets & datasets; this was a tough sell to some folks over the years, but they are critical to User success. We are very grateful you took the time to write this generous review. Please write us if we can do anything for you. Thanks, ~Stu

Katarina
Executive MBA Student in Irland

Great for analyzing social media data- just not offline documents.

If you need to analyze data from social media and survey monkey- it's a great tool. You can search for content by keywords and the data drops in per the chosen frequency. It breaks down keywords and phrases to a list in order of use- where you can drill into each word or phrase to see where it's used and also toggle between different ways of displaying the results.

I got the trial version to see if it would suit my purpose; I required a tool to analyze and cluster data from articles and other sources but just couldn't get it to work. If the trial period had been longer than 3 days ( I thought I signed up for 30- it's not very clear) I might have had time to figure it out. Better instructions would have helped. The instructions tell you what the features are, not why you need to use them which is not helpful for novice users.

Antwort von Texifter

Katarina, Sorry for the confusion about the length of the free trial. It was 30-days for many years and we changed it to 3 only recently. Please send a request to info@texifter.com and I will send you a 6-month license. For details about the features, we suggest you review some of the support materials: https://texifter.zendesk.com/hc/en-us As to why use the tools, perhaps review the tutorials: https://discovertext.com/tutorials/ You might also find some answers as to why use the tools here, in the 200+ academic citations of the tools: https://discovertext.com/publications/ Finally, I am available for 1-1 web trainings: https://calendly.com/discovertext So, I think you may not have fully tried to use all the customer support options. We work very hard to make sure newcomers get comfortable quickly. Stu

Hossein
Hossein
Research Fellow and Adjunct Professor in USA

Honestly,I can say DiscoverText makes analyzing social data not only easier, but also more enjoyable

Kommentare: It provides me more opportunities for working on my projects. Using it, I have access to many ways for doing research on social media data which have not before.

First, it is so easy to learn and use. Moreover, the DiscoverText founders provided some helpful tutorials and educational videos which are so handy and helpful. This software allows users to makes several datasets of one project. This enables a researcher to work on multi-dimentions of a certain project needless to create different ones. Furthermore, you can create a sample of your data very easily by making a dataset. Its buckets are very interesting also. Additionally, you can make some clouds of data by using cloud explorer feature. Finally, Clustering option is great! it makes working on big data easy and shows the main trends in them quickly.

As I can say, sometimes users may get confused by many links and pages. So, maybe finding what you want becomes difficult and you have to try some ways. Another con, in my point of view, is the obscurity of metadata meanings and algorithms. I cannot understand what some of the means and how they are calculated. Furthermore, I think some of metadata can be presented in some more useful ways. But at all, I should confess the metadata explorer is a great ability!

Antwort von Texifter

Thanks Hossein for an excellent review. We are preparing a new blog post now with a Metadata Dictionary for Gnip Twitter data. We agree that some of the fields are a bit confusing and we hope this new blog post will make the meaning of some of the fields more transparent.

Jim
Jim
Director, Center for Social Science Research & Professor of Sociology in USA
Hochschulbildung

We have been using the software to study twitter conversations on immigration going back to 2013.

Kommentare: Easy data capture

It's ability to capture tweets and now the capacity to export to NodeXL gives us two tools that we use together to study the content and structure of immigration conversations onTwitter.

At times navigating the menus is counter-intuitive as is some of the terminology. Archives, buckets, datasets all kind of run into one another.

Antwort von Texifter

Dear Jim, Thanks for your and the generosity of your Tweets. We really appreciate that! I'd like the opportunity to visit GMU to make the case that archives, buckets, and datasets are essential parts of the text analytics methods we have engineered. Please email info@texifter.com if you would like to host a free workshop. Briefly: - Archives are raw data. - Buckets are subsets of raw data. - Datasets are coded by humans. Most projects proceed from 1 or more archives, to many buckets, to a series of codeable datasets. For example: - Collect 100,000 #metoo tweets - Deduplicate the archive - Create a bucket of seeds and singles - Search the bucket for key terms - Create a new bucket with results - Create a dataset and code it for relevance - Train a relevance classifier - Apply the classifier to new archive samples - Repeat as needed The key point is that raw data is messy in the archives, cleaner in buckets, and fully refined and classified in datasets.

Gabriela
Gabriela
Independent Researcher in USA
Computer-Software

I've been using it for several years for analyzing customer data and Twitter data.

Kommentare: It's easy to create and code a dataset, and it is a particularly useful software to work with a team of coders in the same dataset.

My favorite feature about this software is the fact that it allows multiple coders to easily work on a coding project. So if you have a lot of data, you can load the data on DiscoverText, set up some codes, and have several people work at the same time with coding. It will provide you with a report of what each coder did for how long etc, and also will allow you to export the results. You can also import data directly from Twitter using the search API. Coders can see the actual tweet when coding, which helps speed up the coding process. You can also export the data to NodeXL in order to generate social graph and calculate social network analysis metrics. For a fee, it is also possible to get access to GNIP and the entire historical archive of tweets. DiscoverText is not limited to Twitter, you can import data from other sources (including SurveyMonkey). As a researcher working with Twitter, for me the most valuable tool is the ability to easily create and code a Twitter dataset.

Sometimes it will let two coders work on the same item if they access the item at the same time. Not allowing this could speed up the process.

Max
Max
Staff Position in Deutschland

It's a great tool to code big or even vast amounts of data in an efficient way. It work very well!

It is easy to use, very intuitive, it gives you the basic options and functions in a clear design. Through the annotation tool, it is easy to amend the existing coding scheme and hint to anything problematic. This way you can also easily communicate with other users who you work on a project with. I really like the elegance of the program! It works very well for both rather simple (even binary) and truly elaborate and detailed coding schemes.

the only real problem I encountered was that it can be annoying to jump back to an already coded item (for instance if you realized you made a mistake or want to add an annotation): if you use the "back" function it brings you to the previous numerical item which might not be the one you coded but one someone else is coding at the same time. Then you have to keep clicking "back" until your item reappears. This should be fixed. It is, however, a rare issue.

Antwort von Texifter

Max, Thanks for this idea and the generous review. It makes perfect sense and we will engineer a solution for that immediately. Stu

Joseph
Joseph
Postdoctoral Fellow in UK
Forschung

Excellent software and after sales support

Kommentare: Made my research possible, cant overstate how important it has been for me!

Discovertext has enabled me, a non-IT specialist, to create, sort and purchase large scale twitter data sets for qualitative academic research. As a platform it is extremely user friendly and intuitive and took very little time for me to become comfortable with. It is also always accessible, I have logged in all over the world and have never had any problems with the platform. However, like all software platforms, the platform is only as good as the after sales support. Thankfully, Discovertext has the best post-sales service of any company I have worked with, they are always accessible and you always get a real human at the end of the phone who knows the software inside and out where else do you regularly get to speak to the founder of the software and the CEO of the company on a regular basis for after sales help. Thus, to me, you can't go wrong with discovertext and I have no complaints.

Morgan
Morgan
Graduate Research Fellow in USA
Forschung, 1.001–5.000 Mitarbeiter

Discover Text for academic study

Kommentare: Discover text has been an incredible resource to explore crisis communication. The founder is particularly dedicated to his product and has held numerous one on one tutorial sessions for me.

The advanced filtration tool allows you to sort of metadata tags like the geolocation of a tweet, which is extremely useful for academic work. This software is a great platform for an engineering academic like me to ease into the fields of text analytics and sentiment analysis.

Like any software there is a learning curve for Discover text. Rely on the vast tutorial library to get through tasks., and sometimes the distinctions between data levels (buckets vs datasets) can be confusing.

Antwort von Texifter

Morgan, That is a very generous review. You are right that as a founder, the software acquires the status of a family member; almost a beloved child. There was a time "buckets" were on the chopping block (not my idea) and I fought it. Buckets are critical parts of projects. Here is how I explain it to people now: ARCHIVES: Raw text and metadata (static or live feeds updating) that can be manipulated without changing the raw data archive. BUCKETS: Sub-sets of raw data (search, filter, code, cluster, classify and then mix and match techniques to make buckets). DATASETS: Samples for human coding and machine learning. One advantage to this structure is continual LOW-RISK experimentation. Try one pathway, if it works, keep going, if not, try an alternate route informed by previous failures. People often ask: what comes first? Once the data is loaded, that is up to you. There is no A,B, C path the same for all. The platform supports qual, quant, and mixed methods.

Alexandra
Alexandra
Research Assistant in Deutschland
Forschung, 5.001–10.000 Mitarbeiter

Great qualitative analysis tool

Kommentare: I have worked on a number of projects using Discovertext, and the experience of coding large qualitative datasets in a relatively short time is a big plus.

The possibility of training the machine into coding massive amounts of data is definitely a plus. Additionally, having multiple human coders train the algorithm allows for interrater reliability and further calibrations.

It is best to take the freedom and fidget with the tool before proceeding and setting up your project, as the documentation is not 100% thorough.

Rubens
PhD Candidate in Argentinien
Öffentliche Ordnung, 11–50 Mitarbeiter

Easy to use and powerful display

Kommentare: Very useful and easy to use. It save a lot of time and effort and allow you to get to the analysis easily.

It is very helpful to get the data from Twitter and sort results without programming. It offers basic stats and charts based on the data retrieved and the opportunity to easily group it according to the researcher interest. Display visually the Tweet as shown in Twitter, allowing to keep the sense of it, but in addition offers all the metadata in a convenient form.

Some minor UX details (i.e. page after reloading sometimes hide some tabs or does not jump to the top of the data displayed). When filtering data, it doesn't allow to combine some metadata fields (i.e. location declared in bio), so you must filter data step by step.

Antwort von Texifter

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I agree there are a few display issues that need an update and you are correct to point them out.

Nurgul
Graduate Student in Katar

Discovertext is a great tool!It helps you make sense out of messy, unstructured data.

It is easy to use. It is also fast in clustering and filtering data. I like the word cloud function which gives primary insights about your data.

I found the advanced filters sometimes to be not accurate. Also, there should be an option of deleting data from a data set. It can get really difficult to create a sub data set without deleting function.

Antwort von Texifter

Hi Nurgul, Thanks for the review. It contains a really good suggestion whose time may have arrived. For a variety of reasons, we have never enabled the deleting of items. Instead, we typically use human coding and/or machine-learning to identify items that are not relevant, then we create new buckets and datasets of just the items we want to focus on. The advantage is that you retain all the data and can make the details of the cleaning process transparent to your audience. For example, we collected x Tweets, refined the set to x minus y Tweets, and so on. Also, this method scales up. As you refine the machine-learning relevance model (let's call it a "deletion" model), you can collect larger and larger sets and use machine classification to achieve the same effect as a much more time consuming manual deletion. Having said that, lots of people ask for a delete button and we will put it under consideration as a new feature. Thanks, ~Stu

junegak
Researcher in Südkorea
Marktforschung, Selbstständig

Great preprocessing. The software is perfect to use.

Kommentare: Preprocessing to perform my algorithm.

Export function is so nice. To write a research paper, I should perform my algorithm. That's why export function (excel format) is suitable to academic scholars. Basic statistics and graph are also nice because they give insights on the data.

The software is great. However, Twitter pricing policy is barriers to scholars. Pricing on the volume of tweets is acceptable, but pricing of the period makes researcher hard. For example, the researcher needs to monitor at least 1 month. Then, daily pricing is so excessive although the volume of tweets is small. Therefore, the pricing policy will affect the popularity of the software.

Antwort von Texifter

Thanks for the review. The price to access Twitter data is based on a model Twitter developed. We have to use that model. You are describing the $25/day for historical Twitter access via Sifter (which is in fact a separate application). DiscoverText users are mostly not Sifter users, rather, they collect realtime data, or they upload their own data. Some DiscoverText users get their Twitter data access through Sifter, but that pricing is not a part of DiscoverText. Stu

Katie
Student in USA

Great way to gather and analyze data. A couple times when I was coding the software kicked me off

Kommentare: I have already recommended this to a classmate working on a similar project. This software has enabled me to gather historical twitter data from several months ago which is not possible with most other software.

The features to manipulate and visualize data are very helpful. I especially like the sifter features like the cloud generator and the ability to display the most used single, biad, or triad terms. The meta data tools are also excellent!

It sometimes glitches. I thought my login may have timed out, so I returned to the login page but I was still logged in. I returned to my batch coding process and it took a while to pick back up where I left off. Sometimes the processing speed is slow (which is understandable, though, with large amounts of data)

Antwort von Texifter

Hi Katie: Thanks for the review. We really appreciate the feedback. I see you might be in need of some customer support. We love to work one on one with customers via web meetings. They are fun and usually both sides learn great things. Let me know if you want to chat: https://calendly.com/discovertext ~Stu

Rebecca
Graduate Student in Japan
Forschung, 501–1.000 Mitarbeiter

Well-priced software which provides a unique and useful service with great customer support

Kommentare: Without this software, I would not have been able to do my graduate research, as I don't have the necessary programming skills or data analysis skills to answer my research question using a programming language. Discovertext acts as a great in-between service, as it allows me to learn about data analysis and even a bit about programming but also offers me support.

I think it's very well-priced compared to similar services offered by other companies. Especially because there is a very generous student discount, which makes the product much more accessible to researchers. The service itself is really useful, and I haven't come across any other too that has the same functionality and enables you to work on very specific data sets without extensive programming knowledge. The customer service is absolutely fantastic - very quick, friendly responses that contain very useful information. Go above and beyond the call.

The documentation isn't as comprehensive or easily accessible as I would like it to be. It's more of an FAQ style, which is hard to navigate and doesn't always contain all the information I need. Would be really nice to have a link to one, single comprehensive document that contained all the information, in addition to FAQs and example videos.

Antonio
Research Scientist in Mexiko
Bildungsmanagement, 501–1.000 Mitarbeiter

Useful for data handling

Kommentare: We were interested in having access to historical data from twitter, but DiscoverText allowed us to perform some cool analyses on the spot. Thanks!

The ability to create datasets / buckets is fairly useful, particularly when you work with thousands of records at the same time. Datasets are conveniently partitioned into 50,000 records, which is also very useful when downloading.

It takes a few minutes to familiarize with the interface, but it's fairly intuitive afterwards.

Antwort von Texifter

Hi Antonio, Yes, as you¿ve discovered, DiscoverText (https://discovertext.com/) users are mostly not Sifter users, rather, they collect real-time data, or they upload their own data. However, some DiscoverText users get their historical Twitter data access through Sifter (https://sifter.texifter.com/). Unlike some of the market research dashboards, we offer a set of text analytics tools for creating unique samples, collaborative annotation schemes, and unique data science measurements related to human and machine learning. To learn more about the distinction between buckets and datasets, read: https://texifter.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200744374-Archives-buckets-and-datasets We have worked hard to document the features of the system, with both a knowledge base and video tutorials: https://texifter.zendesk.com/hc/en-us https://discovertext.com/tag/video/ Thanks, Stu

Lynn
Graduate Assistant in USA

The program did what I needed it to.

Kommentare: Easy coding of lots of data.

I liked that the filter function was easy to use. Coding was also easy, and that I could batch code items was a big plus.

I wish I could also sort based on how I coded the items. I would like to go back to one code and take a look at just those items, and perhaps add another code to them.

Antwort von Texifter

Hi Lynn, Thanks for taking the time to write a review. You in fact can do that and I would be happy to offer a live demo for you: https://calendly.com/discovertext When you are on the Dataset Details page, just click on the bar graph of the coding results or load the Advanced Filters on the list view. Either way will get you to the set of items with that code. You can put them in a bucket for closer analysis. Another option is to do it via reports and a third option is through exports. Thanks, Stu

Mélodie YunJu
PhD candidate in Kanada
Forschung, 10.000+ Mitarbeiter

Cheapest access to Gnip feeds on the market

1. The cheapest place to get your hands on Gnip data, I've compared 10 services and this is what I have chosen - 75% off for students, can't beat that. 2. The "Swiss Army Knife" of text analysis - it collects, captures, cluster, search Twitter, and have real people coding and conducting sentiment analysis, and conducts machine classifications all in one package. 3. Registering is easy with LinkedIn or Facebook! 4. Lots of trustworthy organizations and associations use DiscoverText, because their founders are not for-profit (they are but they aren't), their customer service is top-notch, very responsive to answering questions and helping me navigate the software.

The interface is not so intuitive, it's not flashy, but it's like any academic-developed software, you have to look beyond the boring interface and discover the real powers of DiscoverText.

Antwort von Texifter

Dear Mélodie, Thank-you for the detailed and enthusiastic review. Good luck with the PhD. ~Stu

Obehioye
Twitter Annotator in USA
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 5.001–10.000 Mitarbeiter

Great Product

The software was easy to navigate and efficient.

There would be random times when it would randomly slow down or stop working altogether.

Antwort von Texifter

We appreciate the feedback, Obehioye. Given the huge volume of data that some projects involve (for example, there are over 500,000,000 tweets created each and every day) there may be occasional pauses. If you think something has completely stopped working please contact us; if a support request is generated, you will hear a response the same day, often within 30 minutes. https://discovertext.com/contact-us/ Support Documentation & Knowledge Base: https://texifter.zendesk.com/hc/en-us Video tutorials: https://discovertext.com/tag/video/

Laurence
Student in UK
Gesundheit, Wellness & Fitness, 1.001–5.000 Mitarbeiter

Very positive

Incredibly powerful - I could not have done my research project without it. It undoubtedly saved me hundreds of hours of time. The staff are lovely.

A couple of minor issues, however these were attended to and solved very quickly

Antwort von Texifter

Thanks very much for the review, Laurence. We love hearing success stories like yours. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help. About DisciverText for text analytics: https://discovertext.com/text-analytics Testimonials from customers: https://discovertext.com/customer-testimonials/ Support Documentation & Knowledge Base: https://texifter.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Antoinette
Associate Professor, and Deputy Chair in USA
Grundschul- & Sekundarbildung, 501–1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I was able to analyze a very large data set.

This is a user-friendly software that allows researchers to easily code very large corpora. Other datasets couldn't easily handle the data. Moreover, it is wonderful for e-rulemaking and public commentary.

It takes a bit of getting used to if you are segmenting your data into "buckets." After a bit of experimenting we easily began using Textifer!

Fabio
Tenure Track Assistant Professor in Italien

An extremely reliable and affordable tool to gather and analyze data from social media

Extremely and affordable partnership with GNIP for Twitter data. Useful quick quantitative analysis. Great support for collaborative content analysis.

Nahed
Nahed
Associate Professor of Communication in USA
Forschung, 501–1.000 Mitarbeiter

Great software for social media-based studies

Kommentare: Overall, it was a great software for my research. So far, I have produced two different studies that were based on DiscoverText Twitter data analysis, one of which is already published. So, Thank you!

How easy it is to use it. It did not take long for me to get the hang of the most basic features the software offers.

There are some features that were harder to use than others, but customer service was a great help in setting up and/or explaining these issues.

Antwort von Texifter

Professor Eltantawy, We greatly the review and would like to add your publications to this list, if they are not there already: https://discovertext.com/publications/ Please let us know if we can assist further. ~Stu

Vivian
Graduate student in USA
Grundschul- & Sekundarbildung, Selbstständig

Tweets for research analysis

I used DiscoverText to analyze tweets for a research paper, I liked the tools available such as extracting and searching for specific information, the ability to create different data and save them in a 'bucket' for further analysis, the cloud explorer, clustering and the exact duplicate tools. I also liked that you could download a dataset and analyze it using other tools, you could also download the reports and graphs generated. The support system was very effective, I received help within hours of asking.

I was interested in sentiment analysis of the tweets and found it challenging to code sentiments from the software, to me it felt more manual process that I could do without the software.

Colin
Colin
Assistant Professor in USA
Hochschulbildung, 1.001–5.000 Mitarbeiter

For academic research, this is an amazing tool for collecting, sorting, and analyzing data.

-Ease of data collection -Data analysis and coding -Ability to sort and manage data -Amazing customer service and support. If you have a question or issue, someone from the company will walk you through a step-by-step process in order to maximize the function being used.

-Navigating the user interface could be more intuitive at times. At times, it can be difficult to immediately access a specific set of collected data. However, I have noticed that this issue is mostly resolved when the user's experience and understanding of the program increases.