Indispensable tool for tracking time - and billing

Bewertet am 28.1.2019
Stephen C.
Member, Technical Governance Board (TGB)
Computer- & Netzwerksicherheit, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: The challenge I have is tracking all the different projects I work on through the day to how much time should be billed to each. As I frequently jump from project to project, ManicTime ensures that I can work as I would like - bouncing between projects (driven for part of the day by email/Slack messages) and still charge each project correctly. Incredibly valuable!

Vorteile: The automated screenshot (every 60 seconds by default) combined with the extremely effective user interface for scanning the screenshots to determine how to bill my time makes ManicTime indispensable for my workflow and business. I bill to multiple clients/projects daily and trying to track as I work is extremely difficult and distracting. I have found that using ManicTime enables me to work and then go back - even several days later - and bill exactly what I should be billing and document exactly what I was doing on each project. I've been considering switching computers from Windows to Mac or Chromebook and in looking around I realize that I would lost $1000s if I did not have a tool as good as ManicTime on my system. Its just that important.

Nachteile: I'd like it to work on a high end Chromebook - e.g. Pixelbook, but if not, I'll stick with Windows or Mac where ManicTime is supported.

The best for personal, automatic time tracking

Bewertet am 15.3.2019
Hafiz A.
Unterhaltung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I work on a peculiar kind of rev share agreement with partners, where we count rev share strictly by hours worked. ManicTime is one of the best things for this and has saved me way too many times. The best part is integration with my other laptop and my phone, which means no matter what I always have a good idea of what I was doing on any particular day. Automatic screenshots that appear whenever you hover over any time Overall the user experience just feels like they really thought about what the easiest and most efficient workflow would be. For my personal use case, where I just want to know what I was doing at any particular time, this software beats out every other that I've used, and I have experimented a LOT. Thank you also for making software that takes up very little RAM (it's made natively instead of in Electron like most apps nowadays ugh)

Nachteile: Legitimately the only con i can possibly think of is that it doesnt know what i'm doing when i'm not using any of my devices haha. But even then, they now have a location tracking feature on the Android version in beta, so I basically have a good idea of where i'm at at any time of the day of any day. All I need to do is to be mindful of writing down what I was doing outside of my laptop or phone.

powerful time saver for an otherwise tedious, inaccurate task

Bewertet am 19.10.2018
David M.
Vice President of Information Technology
Bankwesen, Selbstständig

Kommentare: This removed the guesswork and the need for manual management from the task of tracking my work - whether it was for the purpose of producing a timesheet of some kind, or other restrospective needs. If you work on many tasks interspersed through the day and don't have the wherewithal or discipline to log such activity manually, then there is no substitute for this tool. I had to spend 10-15 minutes per day (or an hour or so at the end of the week) trying to recall from memory how I spent my time. That now takes zero time.

Vorteile: automatic categorization, configurability, enhancement releases, team management, multi-machine integration

Nachteile: reporting flexibility, missing import/export API, should provide more usage examples it cannot read your mind, you have to tell it what how to interpret

Intended to improve your productivity, but will actually decrease it

Bewertet am 12.3.2017
Alonso L.

Kommentare: This program has a very nice price, and you get what you pay for. Its quality is absolutely dismal. I checked the trial version before purchasing it, and I got a very misleading positive impression. The interface seems nice and intuitive, and there are many features intended to keep track of your time usage in different ways. However, the trial version only provides basic functionality. In order to track your time efficiently you need to automate repetitive tasks, and the automation features (like automatic tagging) are only available in the full version. When you purchase the full featured version and start using the automation features ManicTime drops its beautiful princess mask and reveals itself as the ugly nine headed monster it really is. The documentation is absolutely chaotic. Most of it is obsolete, doesn't make sense or both things at the same time. The program is full of bugs. They create versions intended to fix those bugs and add new features regularly, but, after almost a year of use, my experience is that every new version introduces more bugs than it fixes. And it takes them months to fix just the most obvious and annoying bugs. Some examples:
' Some reports report nothing at all, like the usage details in the timesheet.
' About six months ago they introduced a screenshots feature. The idea is good, but the feature is full of bugs, from errors in the display to straight away crashes. Last month they released a fix for this. The result is that now the screenshots screen just doesn't display any screenshots at all.
' There is a feature to remind you to log your time when you're away from your computer for a while. Great feature' if it worked. Half of the time, the reminder to log your away time just pops up randomly, regardless of whether you've been away from the computer or not.
The list goes on, but you get the picture. The bottom line: A program that is intended to improve your productivity, but will actually decrease it.

Vorteile: Beautiful interface in some screens.

Nachteile: Everything else.

von Finkit an 16.11.2018

We are the kind of developers where we keep our head down, don't engage much with the outside world, but do try to make the best app possible. And we are definitely guilty of not communicating very well, this shows up in marketing and unfortunately also in help docs. But we do answer and help with every support issue. So I must admit, I was surprised by this review, especially once I saw we had more than 10 support tickets (spanning over a year), most of them ended successfully.

A few comments:
- trial version is the same as the pro version, there is no difference
- if there is no tracked data at the time of tags, Usage report will be empty

And finally about crashes. They happen. Stability depends on the state of Windows, which apps are installed, hardware... So sadly there are a lot of scenarios we can't prepare for. That is why we include Process monitor (Settings, General), which restarts the app in case it crashes.

I'm sorry for the bad experience.

Works well with Linux Mint desktop distro when combined with Docker

Bewertet am 12.12.2018
Calvin T.
Öffentlichkeitsarbeit und Kommunikation, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Excellent product

Vorteile: Installed the docker image for Manictime Server and the client on my Linux Mint desktop computer. It works extraordinarily well and captures all applications from the Linux environment.

Nachteile: Does not show document titles or website titles

von Finkit an 4.1.2019

Thanks for the review. To start tracking web usage, please install Chrome or Firefox plugins. Those will then send data to ManicTime tracker.
You can find the links at the bottom of this page.

Manic Time has Changed the Way I Work

Bewertet am 30.4.2019
Technical Analyst
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I have difficulties keeping track of things as I have multiple projects and tasks on the go. This software was sought after to hopefully provide me with a tool that would ease some of the stress. I am happy with the software and it is a good purchase.

Vorteile: I work extensively on my computer as a Technical Analyst and the software has many time helped me with it's screenshot taking feature. At multiple occasions I have used this to track history of meetings and other data that I may have forgotten to document. I consider this a very good feature and it has saved me time, hassle and my sanity on occasion. I am also happy that they allow a trial to try the pro features before buying.

Nachteile: I do not have any negative experience with this software.

best time tracker

Bewertet am 10.3.2019
Pavel A.
Sr. Dev.
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, Selbstständig

Vorteile: easy to use and report.
I use it for last 5+ years and very happy

Nachteile: no mobile app out-of-the-box - need to install server

A must have for any freelancer working on a computer

Bewertet am 30.6.2016
John V.

Kommentare: A must have tool for a freelancer like myself. Tracking work hours for a day takes me seconds and I know that work hours are accurate. Creating a timesheet is also a breeze.

Vorteile: I can just work without interruptions and assign my work hours when I'm ready.

Nachteile: I miss an iPhone app.

Powerfull automatic time tracking application

Bewertet am 11.12.2018
Eric a. S.
MOBILE NETWORKS ENHANCED AND EXTENDED
Telekommunikation, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I make my customers happy thanks to a documented timesheet which shows value for their money

Vorteile: Thanks to a smart "Timelines" approach, ManicTime gathers a lot of real time activity information from applications and documents levels, which can be used ideally by a powerfull configurable "autotag" tool

Nachteile: Export capability, but it gets better every day

Good tool for time management

Bewertet am 10.3.2019
Dorothy A.
Student
Hochschulbildung, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: ManicTime help me to get documented time-sheet that is a requirement for my graduation project

Vorteile: I like the interface of ManicTime. It is very easy to use and navigate through. The chrome plugin extension makes the platform even easier. ManicTime is a good tool in project management. I use it mainly to assign my hours before starting any project with my classmates at school

Nachteile: I don't like that there is no mobile app available and there aren't enough tutorials to help

Works really well!

Bewertet am 14.3.2019
Noah C.
marketing specialist
Gesundheit, Wellness & Fitness, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: It has been nice, working with it was good and well.

Vorteile: The software works really well especially for time and project management. We have been using it since few months now and its going great. It enables me to complete the tasks and project efficiently within time.

Nachteile: There are some glitches, and software does need more feature other than that all good.

There is no support and if you cannot program you cannot get this product to work

Bewertet am 3.5.2018
James h. (jim) M.
Attorney and Counselor at Law

Kommentare: I lost money on it.

Vorteile: It tracks everything. Amazing how well it works to track what you do. It shows you want it tracks and now I'm wasting time to get enough words in, because that is the only pro it has.

Nachteile: You can't do anything with what it tracks unless you can program the software. ManicTime tracks it but you can't get it out. Nor can you readily understand what it does. A lot of the settings are actually reverse. meaning it says what you do not want to track and then if you check it, that is all it tracks.