Über Knack

Ermöglicht jedem, einfache Web-Apps und Online-Datenbanken zu erstellen.

Erfahre mehr über Knack

Adam C.
Managing Director
Telekommunikation, 13-50 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 4.8.2019

"Sky is the Limit"

Kommentare: Fantastic. We had worked to solve problems for no less than 24 months prior to our introduction to knack. From the time we started with knack we had a minimum viable internal product within 90 days and a customer facing web-portal (providing sales, project, and invoice detail) in 180 days. With knack we have have saved an immeasurable amount of time and resource.

Vorteile: Very simple to solve for Secure, HIPPA, PCI compliant user logins. Ability to pivot large data-set with simplified permission based views - no incremental expense for additional users / views / roles.

Nachteile: Support. Our reliance on knack is significant in pre-sale functions and as a result, when it breaks we have always defined the solution (or created the work-around) several days before a knack tech gets around to responding to our requests.

• Bewertet am 4.8.2019
Patrick A.
  • Bewertet am 27.4.2020

"Game changer"

Kommentare: Game changer. Cant imaging our business without it. The speed in which we can develop apps to run companies is unmatched. We have tried to find a replacement, there isn’t one. Also a big bonuses is how quickly this scales. We run family owned plumbing operations up to globally companies operating in several countries all from the same platform with no need of expanding local server resources.

Vorteile: The fact that the software acts like a native app but is in reality a micro website. Edit and upgrades are pushed out with a refresh with having to go through the process of submitting to an App Store. Also dont need to develop for different platforms/screen sizes. One size fits all

Nachteile: There are several features that have been requested over the years from many users that seem to be left behind. The biggest one in 2020 is that the mobile side needs a big upgrade in order to compete with native apps. A big one for us is uploading of photos on the mobile side. Its very cumbersome and slow. We have lost a few jobs because of this. Need some sort of mobile app that connects to these databases.

• Bewertet am 27.4.2020
Leanne W.
Web Design and Development
Non-Profit-Organisation Management, 2-10 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 5.11.2019

"Numerous bugs and lack of customer service taint an otherwise useful tool"

Kommentare: This system worked well for what we needed this year. The main need was to create a system to enter and track points from our various members for year-end awards. This was a complex system to build because of the many different categories involved, and so far Knack has handled it. Building the system was extremely frustrating at times, as fields and properties would sometimes refuse to update, or the system would just hang and not do anything. I have built other apps with much the same issues. Customer service was initially helpful but now seems to ignore my requests for looking into bugs even after multiple attempts to have them resolved. We are on the middle tier plan. For example in one of my apps, the app simply hangs if I sort a certain table by one of the fields. Their answer was to not sort it by that field when using the app. I have also had records that should have been deleted not be deleted. I have put my own stop checks into the app and have not had any corrupted data as of yet, but the issues I've had do concern me.

Vorteile: -Easy to learn and build numerous apps
-Lots of functional field types
-Easy to customize CSS and Javascript for each app if desired
-Excellent price point

Nachteile: -Very buggy
-Customer service was initially very responsive, but eventually stopped responding to my requests for simple bugs in my app to be fixed, even after numerous attempts to resolve.

• Bewertet am 5.11.2019
Andrew C.
Plant Manager
Lebensmittelproduktion, 51-200 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 23.4.2020

"Knack helps us make chocolate more efficiently"

Kommentare: Knack allowed us to set up our own "app" by creating a simple database with a front end for users. With limited resources for programming, I learned how to run the builder myself and set the program up for my team. Our Operators enter production data through the interfaces and we've been able to make the system work well enough that I do not need to enter into the builder to fix data errors. Our production managers use their custom interface to ensure records were entered correctly on a daily basis. This eliminated a huge amount of physical paperwork. It also allowed me to have summarized plant performance by a set time on the following production day.

Vorteile: The pricing model makes it an easy sell to get started. You don't have to pay per user, so if you aren't sure whether you'll be able to achieve your goals, it provides a low cost opportunity to make an attempt.

Nachteile: My biggest concern is that our app has become complex enough that it will be difficult for it to be handed off to a new user in the future. Once the software is launched for the team, any changes you make are in effect instantly - there's no opportunity to preview them and roll them out later. Additionally there are a couple of glitches in the builder interface which are frustrating at times. Knack is in Beta with a new interface and I anticipate that these will be resolved.

James F.
Programmentwicklung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

"knack... Just wow!"

Kommentare: knack has been a huge help for our company. We were looking for a online database solution that we could customize for our unique business. And knack for the build 100 times over.

Vorteile: Great online builder with a very easy learning for it. They offer get webinars that demos a lot of the You can get up and running in minutes not months once you have a plan. You can even customize with css and javascript.

Nachteile: Only con i would say and was not a deal breaker was the use of css take a bit to get use to for major customization

Phil K.
Information Systems
Verbraucherdienste, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 23.4.2020

"Incredible Easy to Learn and Flexible Software"

Vorteile: We had a lot of processes we could not manage anymore by just sharing Google Sheets. Within weeks we were able to create custom database driven applications that completely replaced dozens of spreadsheets, macros, and more. We have dozens of managers and corporate employees on it everyday. We love it.

Nachteile: My biggest qualm with Knack is the customer support -- but that's not a very big qualm at all. For what we pay we get enormous value, and it makes sense that support is limited for our plan to just chat and email, with longer response times. When we are finally attended to, the customer service is very helpful. Because of the low price point, I initially had concerns that it would be reliable for a company our size, where little mistakes can cause interdepartmental issues. However, Knack has always been online, and the issues we have had were mostly attributable to user errors.

Noel D.
MD
Unternehmensberatung, Selbstständig
  • Bewertet am 24.4.2020

"Excellent Tool - Highly Functional"

Kommentare: I really like Knack. It's an absolutely super tool

Vorteile: Super tool for developing multi-user database focused applications.
Per developer pricing (as opposed to per user).
Easy to provide ROLE based access to different inputs, views and reports
Super documentation and templates to learn from or get you started
Rules to display and update screens/records
Easy to add rich functionality to an application
Really nice data import tool
Single sign on with Google (and others)
Excellent support
API/Integration using tools like zapier

Nachteile: Need to know some basic html/css if you want customise the look of your screens
No IF THEN logic (probably could use Zapier for this)
Nice if users could import data (as opposed to builder)
Easier back up tools

Alex B.
Design, 2-10 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 1.11.2018

"Flexible, Powerful, Great API, Community Support Lacking"

Kommentare: 8 / 10 is right where I'm at. They filled a huge need for us, and for that, I'm extremely grateful. One more point can easily be gained by paying attention to the community, which are the fans of their business. The other point can be gained by adding better standard features and design features. It should be noted that I have passed Knack's name to MANY others in my industry, and I really do highly recommend them.

Vorteile: When I found this software, I nearly jumped for joy. I had been researching no-code database apps for a long time, and this really seemed to fit what we needed it to do. Hats off to Knack for an original-concept. What's great:
- App building on the backend AND front end. You create your data modules, decide your schema, then decide how it shows up to the users. Set your logins, set the access levels, etc. It's amazing.
- It's extremely easy. Once you get the hang of it, you can make nice looking apps in little time.
- The API is very easy to use and powerful. We us it to build special CMS apps that allow our customers to update content on large interactive touch screens. The data is always reliable.
- The app is responsive, so users can can access public or their private data from mobile devices. It opens up many possibilities for businesses to use this as a CRM, CMS, Accounting, or even a field-service database.
- The in-app support through the chat is great. Staff members are responsive and helpful.

Nachteile: Take this with a grain of salt. When your whole business runs online like ours, you get used to the idea that no software is ever perfect. There is always something that will grind your gears. Here's some things about Knack that need improvement:
- Community support - my major gripe about Knack is the responsiveness to the community. There are many active users who contribute a lot of great content, ideas, and issues that need solving. Response from Knack in the community is practically non-existent. Even just to say "Good idea, we'll add that to our list"...just let people know they've been heard! Also, in my opinion, there's some very standard features that I can't believe aren't built yet. Sometimes it seems they work on features for a very small niche audience, rather than things that all users can benefit from. (Like drag and drop sorting of records)
- Minimal design freedom on the front end - You can make an app that is extremely functional, but there's not a lot of ways to customize the look and feel of that data for the users. So you may solve some great business issues with Knack, but chances are it won't look super pretty.

• Bewertet am 1.11.2018
Mo A.
COO
Non-Profit-Organisation Management, 51-200 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 23.4.2020

"One of the best options for rapid database centric software development"

Kommentare: I have really enjoyed using Knack and continue to push the organization to build functionality in it.

Vorteile: It is so easy to set up a relational database as well as a website to access that data.
Very easy to learn.
You can quickly create software to solve your organization's needs.

Nachteile: New features are not added often.
Workflow actions are triggered by the page accessing the data and not by the database itself.
There are limits to the design customization so the software sometimes seems old.

Christina P.
Contractor
Baumaterial, 2-10 Mitarbeiter
  • Quelle: SoftwareAdvice
  • Bewertet am 11.7.2019

"Great Product, Trouble with Stability of Platform"

Kommentare: Overall, I think this is a strong product but still has bugs to work out and functionality to be added. However, it is still one of the best of this type of product.

Vorteile: Incredible product for building databases/order systems for small organizations. Functionality is substantial.

Nachteile: The lack of support and the turn around time for support is difficult. For companies that use as an integral part of their business it is risky for an ordering system, etc... Also, having problems with the rules and parameters disappearing randomly on forms has been a problem for my organization.

• Quelle: SoftwareAdvice
  • Bewertet am 11.7.2019
Bookkeeper
Buchhaltung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 31.12.2019

"Knack is very helpful "

Kommentare: We use knack to store multiple sets of data. It is extremely helpful in tracking donations (and donors), restricted grants (and foundations/organizations who provide grants), and complex volunteer jobs for a non-profit. We are able to track and analyze all of this information through Knack. I especially like that we can attach documents to records in Knack so all of the information we need is right in one place. Also, being able to set up scheduled reminders is a lifesaver to ensure that we won't miss deadlines for important tasks.

Vorteile: I like that in Knack I can access all-inclusive data, and see it reported in a variety of ways. I can opt for simple summary reports, more complex detailed reports, or even colorful and pretty graphs. I can use a wide variety of parameters to create the report, and I can sort the included data in a variety of ways. I can also export data in different formats. Knack is extremely flexible for me. Full disclosure - I am a frequent Knack user, but I do not record data into Knack, nor do I set up the databases at all. That magic is all done by someone else, so I cannot comment on the administrator aspects of Knack.

Nachteile: Sometimes Knack will log me out while I am in the process of using it. I try to accept the blame when this happens because I always have too many tabs open in my browser, and I often work in 2 different sections of Knack simultaneously. However, it is definitely frustrating. Also, I have a pet peeve about the number of items I can view in one page of a report. For a report with lots of items, I have to navigate forward or back between many pages. I would much prefer to scroll further down the same page to see data in a long report. I don't know of any way to alter the number of items per page.

• Bewertet am 31.12.2019
Don M.
Partner
Rechtsberatung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 26.6.2016

"Knack is an Amazing Tool"

Kommentare: I found Knack when I was searching for a tool that would help me to build a simple cloud based lead tracking application for my small law firm (two lawyers) to use. I have a dabbler's technical background in the sense that I have fooled around with Microsoft Access and Visual Basic for Applications - not a particularly high level mind you - barely beyond Hello World stuff. Well, maybe a little beyond that. I was looking for a tool that would allow me to develop something in the cloud and boy did I find it with Knack. I didn't know that Knack existed, but it was exactly what I wanted to exist and I was blown away when I actually discovered that it in fact existed. I was familiar enough with relational databases through my limited experience with Access that I was able to pretty much immediately start using Knack. I had a rough version of the application I wanted to develop put together in a couple days really. (Not a huge feat, really since what I wanted was really pretty simple). But we used it every day and came to really rely on it. It has become absolutely a part of the business. The ability to have this cloud based application, available on our phones or wherever we have computer access has been incredible and the platform itself works like magic. I spent hours wrestling with Access in setting up subforms and reports and such and developing queries and all of that. Knack takes care of that sort of heavy lifting behind the scenes. From my experience with Access, I know that it really is heavy lifting too, which is why I appreciate it so much. I used to design my websites in Dreamweaver, but as the technical expertise required to build sites well started to increase well beyond my ability to use Dreamweaver, I discovered Squarespace. Squarespace for me was the answer to my prayers, because it gave me the freedom to create sites that were technically pretty sophisticated and modern but in a way that shielded me from the need to have the technical expertise to execute it well. Knack is like Squarespace in this way. In fact, since many people who design sites might have use for cloud based applications that Knack can provide, I would think that Knack and Squarespace ought to be able to find ways to work with each other. They both occupy the same sort of space - providing people without the increasingly sophisticated skills required to build nice things (websites or custom database applications) the ability to build those nice things.

Vorteile: I love the way it shields me from what I know to be complex and tricky issues involved in putting together an application built around a relational database. I know the agony of wrestling with figuring out how to do things with relational databases and it just makes me so happy to be able to create a wonderfully stable application that works in the cloud - without the torture of having to figure out why my SQL query isn't working as I thought it would, etc. It just works, and I am shielded from the coding. I don't have to know what a SQL query is. To me this is just plain magic.

Nachteile: Hard to come up with something I am not really happy about with it. I guess everything could be improved with more features and options and such, but I see that as mostly window dressing. The guts of this thing are amazing. I'm sure the future will see more features and more ways to style the applications and such, but the magic is built in now.

• Bewertet am 26.6.2016
  • Bewertet am 6.7.2018

"The most powerful no/low code database app for non-coders"

Vorteile: - Lives up to the "no code" billing many other platforms tout, but with Knack you can actually build a feature-rich app without coding.
- Zapier integration recently improved, greatly expanding the capabilities of the app
- Out of 10-15 database apps I tried, the learning curve was shorter and support documentation was more useful with Knack
- Easy to implement and strong user security/user roles implementation
- Unlike many business-focused app builders, Knack is designed for many users in structure and in pricing model, so it's the best for customer-facing applications (including ecommerce websites)
- Basic subscription plan includes all the features most will need, unlike many apps that pull 1-2 critical features into their mid-tier and enterprise plans.

Nachteile: - Pricing plan options are slim, and the base plan is a bit more expensive than others in the similar tier.
- Very difficult to style the app in an attractive manner without a fair amount of CSS and/or Javascript understanding (though the standard design is fine and mobile friendly). Limited options for customization in the dashboard.
- Main troubling issue is with how pages and views get created with every menu and link you add..causing a quickly overwhelming page structure and sitemap. Biggest related caution is that when simply deleting a menu item, you could also be deleting an entire page or detail view without clearly being told that (and no way to recover it).

• Bewertet am 6.7.2018
Matthew W.
  • Bewertet am 24.8.2016

"Great software now good for users in Europe."

Kommentare: I use Knack to build my main business application. The interface and functionality is excellent and I have looked at all the alternatives at length. If you are not an IT person, then this really is the business. The tutorials are also good. The support team are responsive in the chat interface. During the two years I have been using the product there have been continuous upgrades which have been excellent.

Vorteile: Great intuitive interface, great software, fair pricing. Now that EU servers are available this makes it a great product for users like me who hold client data and need to comply with EU data privacy laws. I am already delighted with the product, but have seen a beta version of the new builder which in my view takes the produt from excellent to perfect. As a non-technical user (I am no more than a competent excel user) I had never thought I could build my own functioning application. With Knack, I can.

Nachteile: The standard support hours are based on the US working day so that means we in Europe have to wait. Having said that, if there is an emergency there is 24 hour response there. This is a minor niggle and I guess when Knack grows to dominate the world they will put more support on.

• Bewertet am 24.8.2016
Robert S.
Data Management Consultant
  • Bewertet am 4.8.2016

"Best Database Platform Out There"

Kommentare: After listening to vendors with my company for weeks, I had enough. Every system that was pitched for our needs was either ugly, or inflexible, and not all that infrequently, both. I began my search for online database platform technology and quickly found Knack among a few other competitors. What set Knack apart was the appearance of the software. I am of the believe that a product is worthless if no one ever wants to look at it, and Knack stunned me. It was a clean, crisp, interactive set of user interfaces that quickly led to live database views. I set up the trial, and was sold.

Vorteile: Intuitive design! It just makes sense from the get-go, even if you have little understanding of relational databases, with a bit of light reading of Knack's thorough documentation, it's not difficult to get going.

Nachteile: Definitely the way the front end views of your database operate in a mobile device. Some of the feature's are basically unusable, and if your user's are going to use a mobile device, you really have to keep that in mind when developing the database's UIs or you can end up with a bit of a mess.

• Bewertet am 4.8.2016
Holly S.
Travel Manager
Sport, 51-200 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 9.4.2018

"Just what I needed"

Vorteile: This is Everything I need from a database & simple interface builder. I took a long time evaluating existing products for my business programs to no avail, and decided I needed custom solutions. As a nonprofit I know we couldn't afford paying someone to do it so I took it upon myself to research options & move forward. Knack was my first intro to "no code" cloud app builder and I love it. I check around every 6 months or so to see what competition is out there, I've yet to find anything I enjoy using quite as much.

Nachteile: That apps cannot integrate / stay in sync. It's going to take a lot of extra work to integrate all my company's apps, as it is not feasible for all our programs / branches to use one app, and some information needs to be in sync across all apps. I just know by the time I've finally done it, they will have built in the feature / option...

• Bewertet am 9.4.2018
Kevin s. O.
Digital Marketing Manager
Möbel, 201-500 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 4.12.2018

"One of the Best"

Vorteile: Knack is seriously one of the greatest apps that exist out there for those who need to organize their offices. Nowadays, data is produced in such huge amounts that it ca be very difficult to organize. This leads to chaos and lost productivity. Other database apps like Access, OpenOffice and even just SQL are not user friendly and the UI is chaotic. Knack is an easy way to make your own custom database with functionality that expands seemingly daily.

Nachteile: There's a bit of a learning curve, but I learned it in about a week. Now I've made a CRM/HRM/Project manager all in one with unlimited logins for pennies on the price of a full-suite solution.

• Bewertet am 4.12.2018
Mike D.
Co-founder
Finanzdienstleistungen, 2-10 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 13.11.2015

"Super easy and fast"

Kommentare: I was looking for an cloud based application that could allow me to build a database in the cloud and present that data securely to users over the web for viewing and editing. I tried out Caspio, Ragic, Airtable and AgileApps also during the process of picking an application. The only other provider that I like was Caspio- they have a ton of features and can be used fairly easily to build business apps. However, Knack won the day based on the fact that it is more intuitive to figure out (I needed very little help), super fast to edit and view the results and capable of doing so much. I built my first app in ~ 2 hours. I couldn't change it so that each user could edit their own data, but not the data of other users. Knack customer service helped me with process using just email- that is how easy it is. I could understand their emails and make adjustments. I am confident I could built a new app in less than a day- even if moderately difficult.

Vorteile: Super easy to get going (it is the most intuitive interface).
Price by number of apps instead of by user works well with our company.
Powerful features including, for instance, users logging in by their Google+ or Facebook profile (single sign on).
I have not run into any bugs.

Nachteile: You can't adjust the presentation layer (the website) as much as, say, Caspio. You can change some things like colors and basic layout, but most of the CSS is fixed.
Their formulas are very weak. They only allow basic functions, especially for manipulating text. For formulas, I found Airtable to be much better.

von Knack an 16.11.2015

Hi Mike, thanks for the great review! We take a lot of pride in our support so we always love to hear that it makes a difference. We also have a major formula upgrade coming in the next few weeks!

• Bewertet am 13.11.2015
Jonathan T.
Founder / designer
Fluggesellschaften/Luftfahrt, Selbstständig

"One of a kind"

Kommentare: Outstanding . The customer service team really cares and the product is actively evolving

Vorteile: I really do not know what I would do without the resource of the Knack platform. There is so much cross talk of data between those who provide it and those who need it that than an online, customizable, easy to implement data management platform is the most optimal solution.
Love the ability to customize with CSS and JavaScript and connect to other software through Integromat

Nachteile: Not much to NOT like ; as I see it there are features I haven’t figured out how to use yet and things that don’t work because of pure user error.

Mark W.
  • Bewertet am 9.7.2016

"Knack is fantastic"

Kommentare: I've created a number of different applications with Knack and its been able to satisfy all of our use cases and be extensible where needed. Its been great to use and you can build web applications at a fraction of the cost it would normally be. There are great custom developers that can build entirely or help out with integrations as needed.

Vorteile: Powerful and yet easy to use. Extensible

Nachteile: Some of the features take some time to learn, have to invest some time up front getting to know what it can do.

• Bewertet am 9.7.2016
Maxwell B.
Operations Manager
Verbraucherdienste, 51-200 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 5.9.2017

"Customizable features for our Spa's client records"

Kommentare: Increased communication between staff and clients, accurate record keeping for all clients, and for all staff to access!

Vorteile: How customizable it is to our ever changing needs as the company grows and changes! We are able to access it on multiple devices at once, and have different log ins for each employee!

Nachteile: Have experienced software shutdowns that have slowed business, not always able to do what we need, but there is usually a work-around!

• Bewertet am 5.9.2017
Bernardo G.
Regional Director
Bildungsmanagement, 51-200 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 21.11.2018

"Use carefully, as good as you are"

Vorteile: Its highly customizable and you can adapt it to fit whatever your company needs might be. Be it just a simple data base, a team management software or something else. Its great for large sets of data, but needs you to be smart and data savy.

Nachteile: Its not always great when using outside the US. The smartphone view is close to impossible to work with.

• Bewertet am 21.11.2018
Jacob H.
Operations Manager
Rechtsberatung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 25.8.2016

"Geek candy for a middle-of-the-pack geek!"

Kommentare: What's geek candy? It's that little moment of excitement you got when you opened up that sweet lego set, or figured out your phone can do "talk to text." I'm a middle-of-the-pack kind of geek... better than some geeks and worse than equally as many. What's cool about Knack is that it can offer something for everyone. I have used it to give us much more insight into our business. We can track progress and make better decisions.

Vorteile: Knack is easy to use, they listen to their customers and the pricing structure is awesome.

Nachteile: The app layout through the UI is limited.

• Bewertet am 25.8.2016
Chris B.
IT Director
Personalbeschaffung & -besetzung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 26.9.2018

"Easiest platform for developing a customized work system the code-less way"

Kommentare: Knack connects up to so many other 3rd party apps through Zapier that the options are potentially limitless. We've been able to cancel our SalesForce subscription and came up with your own custom CRM using Knack. It's affordable, the support is great and it's feature rich.

Vorteile: Easy to get up and running on. Quickly map out data elements and connect to layout without having to code Javascript. If you do know Javascript, you can customize the workflow and experience even more.

Nachteile: There are no additional web themes without paying a developer to customize.

• Bewertet am 26.9.2018
Sunny Y.
Eventservice, 2-10 Mitarbeiter
  • Bewertet am 15.4.2017

"for custom app is worth a look"

Kommentare: Very powerful to customize for your specific need It's not that easy to build without strong computer skills I paid for knack to code ours but they no longer do that - they have a list of contractors you can hire to do custom work

Vorteile: Can be a build a system quite powerful

Nachteile: Wish would integrate w barcode scanner Need to invest time to really learn the platform

• Bewertet am 15.4.2017