A decent LMS, but there are better ones out there that have less workability issues

Bewertet am 7.10.2019
Professor of Science
Hochschulbildung, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I have used both Blackboard and Moodle in the past, and I found them very similar for what they offered. I would have been fine using Blackboard indefinitely had I not found out about Canvas, which is what we are using now and I am absolutely it's biggest fan!

Vorteile: I used Blackboard for almost 10 years, and it was a decent LMS for my needs. When Blackboard Collaborate came out, it was even better because it added a new layer of possibilities (I could have several webinar/conversations going, merge conversations, and/or present to different groups at one time). However, there were always bugs in the system, even though we updated constantly. The Blackboard app was also very limited.

Nachteile: Too many bugs and freezes; many of my students had issues with accessing links when they used different internet browsers. Good for a small school or business, but not larger ones.

Great way to manage several classes with great flexibility to match personal style

Bewertet am 7.11.2017
Brian C.
Sr. Health data analyst
Medizinische Praxis, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall it’s an improvement over just 20 years ago when a syllabus and careful listening were the only way to connect with students. Also, I’ve had great success sharing ideas with colleagues. Of course, faculty can be just irritating as the abovementioned students. I’d say an “ignore” buttons would make this score go from a 7 to a 9.

Vorteile: I love the ability to reach all of my students or any subgroup in multiple ways. For example, personalized announcement, group emails, meeting and grading in realtime, scheduling office hours, and getting notifications are just a few of the native services, and each can be customized l.

Nachteile: The law of unintended consequences applies directly to blackboard. The same convenient and varied options that make the product great also give students more access (and wildly unrealistic expectations) to their professors. This is great for the 5% of students who have helpful and legitimate questions, but obnoxious for those who expect instant responses, midnight submissions, and A grades for D papers because “they clearly are trying. Just look at their blackboard logs and see!”

Needs some work for organization

Bewertet am 5.8.2019
Hannah D.
Clerical Assistant
Bildungsmanagement, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Not great. If I were to choose, I would go with canvas, which my university will be switching to in the next four years.

Vorteile: Probably my favorite thing about this software is how you can link videos, external links, and also professors can create quizzes, assignments, and tests on the platform and select various settings for their individual assignment/assessment. I LOVE taking tests on here because they are straight forward.

Nachteile: They really need to add a "flag" feature to the tests that are made and administered through the program. There have been many times when I am taking a long multiple-choice test and am not sure of the answer but then remember it 20 questions later, but by that time I can't find the original question that I remembered the answer for. The organization of this information system is, however, trash. Navigating around the site between classes and tabs within each class is annoying and not very intuitive. The way the site is made reminds me of someone trying to make a sign with a lot of diverse information, but everything on the sign is 12pt time new roman font - there's little differentiation between different ideas and concepts.

Well established platform

Bewertet am 23.2.2016
Consultant
Hochschulbildung, 51-200 Mitarbeiter
Quelle: GetApp

Kommentare: I am consulting for two institutions - the one a large higher education institution - 45 000+ Blackboard users - self hosted and the other - smaller business school - 1000+ Blackboard users - hosted. I present training and support to the faculty on how to use the LMS. Although one can discover a lot for yourself using the Blackboard help site, there are a few tips and tricks that make life a lot easier which is not always that intuitive. Problems that we are trying to solve: changing the faculty's teaching philosophy from traditional lecture based teaching to a more active learning environment. Blackboard certainly address that well - as long as you plan your activities properly, you can get excellent feedback for example let the students read or view a video on a specific concept and then let them write a pre-test before they come to the lecture. This will help you to identify where the gaps still exist which you can address then in class. Also using a flipped class room approach - Blackboard can be used to assist you in flipping your class room where you can also monitor and track which of your students engaged beforehand. I have been using WebCT and then Blackboard.

Vorteile: Everything is in one space - lots of tools - the sky is really the limit.
I also like the Best Practice parts of the help site - it helps you to get ideas of how you can use the tools.

Nachteile: In terms of support from Blackboard, sometimes the person who receives the inquiry do not read properly or English is a second language because we often have to explain again and again before they understand - that is the only frustration I currently have with the support. It is unfortunately a very expensive product since the institutions are not based in the USA and therefore we are subjected to the exchange rate.

As both a teacher and a student - Blackboard works for me

Bewertet am 24.11.2018
Joel thomas B.
Teacher
Bildungsmanagement, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Make sure you explore the user guides and options, blackboard can be a powerful tool but some of it's features are less than obvious!

Vorteile: As a instructor blackboard lets me integrate a lot of different types of media through Kaltura, structure time released content ,vary assessments, and deliver individualized learning opportunities. All of these elements are crucial to my instruction. As a student, I get mobile access and notifications about grades, announcements, and course changes that help me manage my learning.

Nachteile: While the features are wonderful, they are somewhat convoluted to properly utilize, requiring more steps than I would like, and can sometimes be "hidden" in such ways that I have to refer back to user guides because it's not a very intuitive integration. Therefore, as a student, I find many of my professors do not fully take advantage of the learning management system because they have limited knowledge.

Blackboard LMS

Bewertet am 25.9.2018
Faculty
Bildungsmanagement, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Classrooms disorganized?! Not with Blackboard! This will make classroom administration a breeze, saving your instructors and administrators a lot of time and make your classroom management 1000% more efficient!

Vorteile: The greatest feature of this product is the ease of use with regards to its navigation. When we started using Blackboard LMS, I literally trained a large portion of our staff on the ins and outs of the software in less than 2 hours. This has made classroom organization the easiest it has been in decade. Our instructors can distribute class materials, assignments, and grades with a few clicks. It is absolutely amazing!

Nachteile: Installation can be both lengthy and problematic if you are moving from an incompatible LMS. While we were lucky, we still ran into bugs while making our transition. This was frustrating, but was luckily done during the summer, when attendance was at its lowest.

Great and Powerful LMS - Blackboard.

Bewertet am 7.6.2019
Juliano carlos D.
Network Administrator
Bildungsmanagement, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: The way we can review the documents; The better way to report plans localized to the group. I can gauge what matters more simple and directely. I like all the information, the trend is in one space, graphed automatically and an easy way of collaboration and track deliverables.

Nachteile: We don't have any major issues using Blackboard. It is a really good service for us!

Makes my Online classes SO Much easier

Bewertet am 19.8.2019
Paralegal
Anwaltskanzlei, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall I love it. It helps me to focus on my school work and know when I have assignments due. It notifies me when new material is uploaded. ANYTHING that makes my life easier is a A++ in my book!

Vorteile: Blackboard has been AMAZING for organizing my online classes. I take 4 online classes a semester and I would be a mess if I didn't have blackboard reminding me of what needs done and making it super easy. Its very easy to upload my assignments and see whats due when it's due. Everything about it is SUPER easy and organized so I can focus all my energy on my school work.

Nachteile: I still can't figure out how to export my due dates to my calendar. I'm not sure if you even can, but I can't find any support on it. I don't like how I can't change the names of my courses and Ive had 3 courses that I dont take anymore still showing up and can't get them to disappear.

Hammer To Swat a Fly

Bewertet am 16.12.2018
Kenatu B.
Senior Programmer Analyst
Grundschul- & Sekundarbildung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Blackboard is a classic case of good product upgrading too much until you lose what made it great. It has a lot of value added features, so much so that you can no longer find the simple things. They should also focus on getting the bugs out of what is really needed and not focus so much on adding more. Keep it simple, stupid KISS. over all a pretty decent LMS but there are better for less.

Vorteile: Feature Rich - lots of value added functionality
Love that there are break out rooms for each session
Clickable rubrics - awesome
Cons 345/100 characters minimum

Nachteile: Grading system is too granular. if you use this it makes it too easy for a few bad assignments to tank students grades and gives the instructor more work.
What do you have against independent content. I create videos using Camtasia and Movavi, but its often a fight get them placed where I'd like or even to get them to run in the first place.

Blackboard can be great...

Bewertet am 24.7.2018
Debbie C.
Operations Manger
Grundschul- & Sekundarbildung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I have used this system for as long as my university has had it available, 10+ years. I use it every semester and I am constantly finding new things it can do. It has been very helpful in keeping track and making available for my students their grades and assignments. It also has the ability to be personalized for each class.

Nachteile: As I said in the Pro's, I am always learning new things. The problem is I have to dig to find the information I am looking for and seeing what else blackboard can do. Also, I find it difficult to transfer information from one semester to another. I have used the help menu to find information but it is not very user friendly. You would think after 10+ years I would be more proficient but every semester I have to relearn the system.

Gets better every year

Bewertet am 9.9.2019
Krystal S.
Instructor
E-Learning, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I like that I can add content, links, video's that can be played right from Blackboard. Each year this system gets better and more versatile to use. It also does not require much training to lean how to use it which make it user friendly on both sides. I also like that I can pull it up on my my phone even if the fromat is not always right.

Nachteile: It can be hard to find certain things and often tabs are hidden withing other tabs. This an also be frustrating to students when trying to locate content. The mobile app does also have some kinks, it does not format well. It is nice to check things like grades but not alot of work can be done from the mobile app.

a Long Term User's Honest Experience

Bewertet am 23.3.2016
John C.
Professor
Hochschulbildung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter
Quelle: GetApp

Kommentare: Quick background, was in high tech sales and marketing for many years prior to teaching and heavily involved with custom Computer Graphics systems since Time Arts Lumena was around (predecessor to Photoshop). Check out my LinkedIn profile for more details. On to the product review -- I've been using Blackboard for *many* years, and have been teaching (and doing) Web Design and Development since 1993. I'm retiring shortly, so I can be absolutely frank and honest about my experience with this app without fear of upsetting IT folks or admins that I would have to work with in the future. Truthfully, the ONLY reason I use this app is because I have no alternative at the College where I teach and it gives the students easy access to information, but so would any LMS (Learning Management System). The UIX (User Interface Experience) is incredibly archaic and counter-intuitive. It's also painfully slow to use, as it does constant server requests (just paste the URL for a Blackboard connection into http://www.webpagetest.org/ for testing). Sometimes one single click every 15 seconds is all the system will react to when I'm using the grade book, etc. -- in the "real" world, without captive users, no one would ever return to a site with those response times. To be fair to Blackboard, part of that may (or may not) be our schools network or Blackboard interface setup. As far as usability, Blackboard needs to let the User Interface and UIX designers (if they even had any) direct the techs and coders. It's *very* obvious that it's been the reverse, . They should 'steal' some Apple UIX people and give them some *real* power to direct how the app works and what it looks like. I've just finished using Blackboard for 3 hours+ doing things that should have taken 1 hour or less had the interface been optimized and more thought out. For example, under the 'Assignments' and 'Course Documents' sections there is no easy way to reorder or batch select using something basic like check boxes or a multi-select hot keys. Also, any NEW assignment or document post goes to the BOTTOM (the absolute reverse of a Blog post) So I need to drag it back to the top (where it logically should go). However, even that is awkward, since when I drag to the top of the browser the window does not auto-scroll. I have to hold the left mouse button at the same time as I use my middle finger to roll the mouse wheel -- duh!!. There IS a small text window pop-up accessed via an archaic icon to reorder posts, however, that shows only 5 assignment titles at a time (no window resize function to show more than 5). I can reorder them there, but need to do a single mouse click each time it moves up one position, but again, with no way to see more than 5 and no way to multi-select. So, if I have 50 course documents and want to shift 5 new documents to the top (where they belong) that's almost 250 mouse clicks to re-position 5 documents to where they should be in the first place - duh!! In Gradebook it only shows 10 students listed by default. I can change the setting up to 50 but the next time I go back it's back or need to refresh something -- it's back to 10. It doesn't save defaults or give me a choice. This may seem to be nit-picking, but over the period of a 14 week semester that's a lot of wasted time time and clicks. I'm going to end my review here as I have more work to do, but when I saw a 4 star review for this LMS being the solo review I had to balance it out. Bottom line is, the concept is good -- many, many modules/tools in a LMS bundled package but the execution is absolutely awful. Just Google search 'Blackboard sucks' or 'I hate Blackboard' if you want real faculty and user opinions sans any marketing spin. Other telltale signs are when a company start to lose long-term clients. Ryerson University in Toronto just did a switch from Blackboard after "a multi-year consultation process". More on that process is here http://lms.blog.ryerson.ca/ Hopefully that last paragraph doesn't get censored, because that's the source of raw truth.

Vorteile: 1. it's an LMS and something is better than nothing.
2. It's full of examples I can show my students on how not to do UI and UIX
3. Well established company is behind it
4. Modular front-end
5. Many bells and whistles

Nachteile: 1. Counter intuitive, clunky, awkard UI (User Interface) - improve it by hiring UI/UIX experts and giving them actual control over the app interface and functions.
2. Slow (even when on the same network node or high speed cable connection) - needs a code rewrite/optimization.
3. Ancient aesthetics (although some design elements are now "flat design-ish") - hire UI and UIX designers and actually allow them to direct the final interface.
4. Many glitches (I've a folder full of screen-shots, if you want proof) - again a code rewrite needed, or ideally a complete start-over with newer code philosophies and methods.

Blackboard Analytics for Learn

Bewertet am 26.9.2019
Richard S.
Blackboard Support & Services Manager
Hochschulbildung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Analytics has been a game-changer that is helping our institution create an overall better student experience.

Vorteile: Blackboard Analytics is an amazingly powerful data platform. Working in conjunction with Pyramid, Analytics lets you view Blackboard data from a "global" institution view, all the way down to a single mouse click, by one student in one course. In this ever increasing data-driven industry, Analytics is a powerful tool to help you make informed decisions based on real time data. Information is presented in easy to navigate dashboards, allowing users to interact with the data. Admins can create specific reports tailored to the institution needs. Customer support and training have been invaluable.

Nachteile: Going in, it helps if you have a working knowledge of databases. The dashboards are easy enough for the general user, but the report creation is not always intuitive. All that said, once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature.

A Gold Standard

Bewertet am 24.9.2019
Abraham S.
Chief Operating Officer
Finanzdienstleistungen, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I utilized this software on a user-end point while in college in the mid 2010s. My wife is using it now as a student in the late 2010s. Blackboard Learn opens a doorway into the world of academia like no other platform I have ever experienced. With it, you can enter a virtual learning center with as robust a set of resources as any prestigious university in the country. Blackboard Learn is an essential tool for creating an online environment where students can really learn akin to the classroom. I highly recommend it - both for professionals looking to impart their knowledge to a wider, more varied audience, and for scholars looking to broaden their horizons with academic leaders across all fields.

Nachteile: Very few cons about this platform except that, akin to Microsoft Excel, a lot of the features seem both difficult to find or too complex to effectively utilize. The user manual will likely be your closest ally with this software.

This was the only LMS choice offered by my institution. Appreciated what it offered.

Bewertet am 14.3.2018
Phil H.
Senior Lecturer

Vorteile: Blackboard makes organizing course content easy with standard options and the ability to add content with ease. Students enjoyed the standardized ability to track lecture notes, videos and access course readings. For me, it managed the basics of course content delivery really well.

Nachteile: Student management was challenging. I spent many hours working out how to grade material online and how to hide or show results for students. I found the help files not particularly useful for these challenges, and as these were things that I only performed once or twice per year, I tended to forget how to resolve these issues.

Blackboard LMS is perfect for online courses

Bewertet am 15.10.2019
Christen L.
Instructional Designer
E-Learning, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I love Blackboard. I am a user and an administrator and I haven't found much that Blackboard can't do.

Vorteile: Blackboard has all the necessary tools to create a great and effective online learning environment. There are so many LTI tools you can integrate into Blackboard to be successful. Also it is user-friendly and you don't have to be a tech genius to manage the tools.

Nachteile: We have had issues in the past with customer support for Blackboard. There is only so much we have control over and we often have to reach out to support with minimal responses.

Love Blackboard - Used as a teacher and a student

Bewertet am 6.6.2018
Kyle B.
Major Account Manager
Unternehmensberatung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Blackboard is one of the pinnacle learning suites out there. I've had the privilege of being a student and a teacher with BB and have to say that I have never been let down by the amount of plugins that teachers can use and the ease of navigation for students. This tool really does check all of the boxes and makes remote learning a little bit easier.

Nachteile: As a teacher, there are almost too many ways that you can configure the course room and it can get fairly overwhelming. As a student, I didn't really have any cons!

Outperforms the Competition

Bewertet am 10.2.2017
Michael R.
Executive Director of Franchising
Grundschul- & Sekundarbildung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Blackboard beats the competition - hands down. I've used this software for over 10 years. They constantly improve the software. It's very fluid. Grading is a breeze. As an instructor, I can locate assignments and post grades quick and easy. I can identify students who are struggling and are at risk of not completing the course. Blackboard keeps me in touch with my students. Likewise, it keeps my students in touch with me - and each other. There are so many options for creating assignments, allowing students to view content, or interact with each other. I love using Blackboard Learn.

Vorteile: Easy to navigate.
Simple to use.
Effective learning platform

Blackboard

Bewertet am 10.10.2018
Adjunct Disabled Students Programs & Services Counselor
Hochschulbildung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: It was a lifesaver for me because I actually needed printed materials in alternate formats anyway, and it was aaccessible with my screen reader, JAWS. I would definitely recommend Blackboard as a means to provide course materials to students.

Vorteile: Blackboard makes it possible to teach courses fully online. It is also useful for courses that are being taught on-campus, because all the materials can be posted there so instructors don’t have to print multiple copies, and students can access them anytime. Instructors can also have blackboard grade quizzes and tests automatically (except essay questions have to be graded manually) so students can check their answers after submitting their work. Tests and quizzes can also be timed, and if you have students with disabilities who have extended time on tests as an accommodation, you can set them up with the additional time.

Nachteile: I used Blackboard the whole time I was in graduate school (2 years) for both online and on-campus courses, and I have only positive things to say about it.

Takes some training but data features are excellent

Bewertet am 10.4.2018
John C.
Educational/Leadership Consultant

Vorteile: The data features are this program's best features. I can readily and easily determine percentage of completion, proficiency rates, etc., of my team on modules we post here within minutes. It helps the strategic planning process tremendously.

Nachteile: For users who are not used to e-Learning, navigating through the platform takes time for training and support. It is not as readily user-intuitive as others. Plan for this as you roll out the usage of this software.

Blackboard for Business works great!

Bewertet am 14.11.2018
Academic Technology Helpdesk
Hochschulbildung, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I enjoyed the navigation features that made it easy to use Blackboard LMS. Some new software my company has implemented has been very difficult to navigate and understand, but this was not.

Nachteile: We experienced some browser issues with Blackboard. Many could not access certain features using Internet Explorer, which we understand now is outdated. Google Chrome seemed to be the best browser to use and has work pretty good ever since.

A Tugboat Amongst Speedboats

Bewertet am 14.12.2016
Andy R.
Director of Marketing

Kommentare: The Blackboard Learning Management System (LMS) for Business has the pedigree of a well-established education company behind it but, much like its Education-based software, lacks many of the bells and whistles of its competitors. Unlike its competitors, it lacks a modern interface and is largely unintuitive, if not overly complex to use. While it lacks in overall usability, it does has a number of useful tools, as well as a number of third-party extensions developed through strategic partnerships. Another strength is interoperability, making it easy to integrate with CRM management tools such as Salesforce. There are a number of other providers out there, including some that are free, that may meet the needs of those looking for entry level, non-enterprise software. I'd recommend dipping your toes in the water with one of them prior to making an investment in Blackboard to see if they better meet your needs. With a somewhat hefty price tag, it may be better than making the long term investment!

Vorteile: Interoperability, software extensions, and ability to build and scale coursework.

Nachteile: The software is somewhat unintuitive, with a cumbersome and clunky interface. The user interface and user experience is in dire need of a facelift.

Not a top-notch product

Bewertet am 12.12.2018
Amy D.
Student
Grundschul- & Sekundarbildung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: The platform is complex for teachers to use, and is not entirely user friendly for students either.

Vorteile: my professors can put my grades up on it so I can track them myself without bothering the professors.

Nachteile: Figuring out what my grade is or was and trying to access the content I have submitted has become more difficult in the last year. If I take a quiz I must take specific steps to see the results so that I can study from it for the test.

Effective learning management system with good tech support

Bewertet am 11.5.2018
Nasira B.
Faculty
Grundschul- & Sekundarbildung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Announcements, quizzes, compatible with TurnItIn assignments, makes grading simple. Easy to communicate with students and provide information regarding assignments. Posting media is also simple.

Nachteile: Difficult to administer exams due to inability to block access to Internet during testing. Would also like a feature that allowed a simple way to drop lowest score in a category. Creating quizzes is a bit tedious as well.

My school uses this program to upload lecture notes and other class material

Bewertet am 15.5.2018
Sam E.
Student
Hochschulbildung, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Everything I need for class can be downloaded in as a PDF or as a Microsoft file. Easy for professors to give you the information you need.

Nachteile: Way too many folders, way too confusing. Its clearly confusing for the professors to figure out where they should upload and store files, because I have the hardest time finding them. Can be difficult to navigate. Needs to be streamlined, at least for what we are using it for.