The Best Website Builder for Simple Sites

Bewertet am 30.9.2019
Meghan H.
Director of Operations
Restaurants, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I genuinely love this tool for creating websites. It is easy to use, cost efficient, and turns out a great end product. I have used it to make websites for photographers, restaurants, and sales businesses alike. It is so versatile and every site visitor thinks it's professionally done.

Vorteile: This software is easy to use, intuitive, and when you can't figure something out Support is right there for you. They have tons of how to videos and instructions that make everything pretty easy to figure out.

Nachteile: I dislike the spacer feature - it gets pretty annoying to use those instead of being able to snap an object to a grid and align that way. It works much like Microsoft Word in the sense that if you try to resize or adjust something, sometimes everything on the page moves.

A beautiful website, tailored to you

Bewertet am 15.1.2020
Entrepreneur
Bildungsmanagement, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I have a beautiful, functional website to direct clients to. It has a blog, a shop where they can purchase items and much more. The site allows me to capture visitor information, make sales and create first interactions with me and my services. It allows me to have a "home base" from which I launch all of my projects and ideas. I have had Squarespace for several years now and never plan to change--it's really that good! I have experimented with other providers but never found anything so well crafted and easy to use.

Vorteile: Squarespace allows you to select a plan that fits your needs. You can choose plans with unlimited pages, commerce options and much more. I love that it's made to be user friendly and there is no coding required (you can code as an advanced option but it's really not at all needed since they offer you everything). You can add all kinds of features to webpages, like forms, surveys, images and much more just by adding elements they call "blocks". This makes it very easy to customize the website to look, feel and operate just like you would like. If you previously couldn't realize your website dreams due to a lack of technical know-how, you can use Squarespace to design like a pro.

Nachteile: Sometimes it can be slightly unintuitive as to where to find something, so it takes me a few extra minutes to find out where I can tweak a specific setting. Customer support is excellent and fast to respond but only by email or chat, not by phone. You do have to upgrade to a higher plan for some features, like abandoned cart recovery at checkout, for example; however, for the value they offer, I think all the upgrades are worth the cost.

Great design, great features, great support

Bewertet am 13.12.2019
Jane R.
Owner and Big Kahuna
Verlagswesen, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I was first introduced to Squarespace when I hired someone to design the website for my business, and he showed me how to make changes myself. From there I started to play with it and ended up creating simple websites for several clients, many of whom were then able to take over their own upkeep and maintenance. And in the three years I've been working with Squarespace sites, the features and support have only improved. I also love that they're very attuned to what's trending in graphic design, so their templates never look dated.

Vorteile: The aesthetic. Squarespace's design templates are fresh, current, and appealing to begin with, which provides a lot of options for customization.

Nachteile: It's not the most intuitive interface ever, but that said, they provide outstanding how-to articles and videos and infinitely patient customer support, so it's not hard to figure out how to do what you want to do, even if you have no coding experience.

SquareSpace is a let-down. It's hard to use and is missing basic features. The marketing fooled me!

Bewertet am 23.7.2019
Andrea C.
Copywriter + Designer
Design, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Overall, I hated using SquareSpace and I was so disappointed because I switched away from WordPress + Divi to give SquareSpace a whirl based on SquareSpace's amazing marketing. What a let down. I will never use SquareSpace again. My client wanted both of his sites designed in SquareSpace because he was also duped by the ads. I made one site and it took forever because I was constantly googling how to do something with code to get the site how we wanted it. If you use SquareSpace be prepared to be frustrated or to hire a developer. Basic functionality is missing and you can't copy anything you've done to use elsewhere. I wanted to duplicate the first site and modify it for the second. You can't do that. I had to make both sites from scratch. Support was absolutely terrible. Zero help compared to the awesome Divi support staff that has made my designing life so great for so many years (I'm not an affiliate, just a fan). Oh! And SquareSpace is expensive! You have to pay for each and every site. With WordPress, you pay for hosting somewhere, like Siteground, and you can add as many sites to that account as you like no charge. Squarespace has pretty templates that you can't modify pretty much at all, and it's expensive with terrible support. Do not choose SquareSpace as your CMS unless you are a developer. Awful.

Vorteile: SquareSpace has beautiful templates. They are truly gorgeous. SquareSpace also has an easy-to-use sidebar of options that puts everything that you can do on the left side. The interface is as clean as the templates. Hosting of your site is done through Squarespace. That's it when it comes to pros. There are a ton of Cons to using SquareSpace.

Nachteile: As a WordPress user (who has also designed with Wix), SquareSpace falls short almost everywhere. You can't import your brand font—essential. You have to use code or a back-door solution with AdobeFonts. If you want 5 items in a row, no can do. You get 4 or 6. You can't drag the amount of padding around items and sections. You must use spacer blocks (time consuming and such a bad way to do things). There's no media storage! If you upload your photo it isn't stored anywhere for easy selection later. You must upload the same image multiple times whenever you need it—frustrating. Changes can't be made on individual copy styles. Squarespace sets up its CMS as a global system so if you want to change the way your font looks in just one place, you need to insert code (markdown block). You should be able to select it and change the size or colour. But no. It's CRAZY! So time-consuming. Missing basic word-processing functionality. Squarespace has no plugin options. You can't duplicate a page of your site and you can't duplicate your site! Everything is done from scratch! In WordPress, you download a .JSON file and upload it somewhere else and you're flying. Not with SquareSpace. You can't make your overlays look different per section. Everything applies globally. You can't add borders to images. The biggest CON? There's no undo! No revision history. If you delete something accidentally, it's gone forever. Support is terrible. Every answer is "you can't do that" or "try to find code.

Web Design, but make it fun.

Bewertet am 11.12.2019
Kinsey V.
Photographer
Fotografie, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I first started using Squarespace under another Photographer, whom I was managing their studio and day to day "to-do's". I took over her website maintenance and blog, to which was surprisingly easy to navigate. I loved how I was able to read analytics and see what content was working and what was not. The sleek layouts made a few easy clicks look like I spent 4 years in web design. So it was really a no brainer when I decided to start my own business; I knew I would be showing my work to the world through Squarespace. There is just something about the designs of these Squarespace websites that look stunningly polished and exceptionally functional.

Vorteile: As a former user of Wordpress, I found Squarespace to be a breath of fresh air. I've be using it since 2014 and have never looked back. It actually made designing my website and grabbing analytics fun! When navigating the software, it felt like I had been here before. It was so easy to find the tools and customize the fonts and sizing to my preferences. Adding pictures in where I need them is easy and the layouts they offer display my work in such a beautiful fashion that even I'm blown away. All in all, I love this software because it offers so many different themes and customizations without being confusing. It's actually fun and I love that a blog is included with my site. It's like a whole other site to customize and tweak to your taste. I was never a blogger before but now I don't have a choice, Squarespace makes it too easy to make excuses now.

Nachteile: There are very few things that come to mind when talking about disliking this software. I do wish there was a larger library of fonts readily available for each area of customization, across all themes.

Stop Website Shame!

Bewertet am 14.10.2019
Carlee M.
Gesundheit, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Wonderful!

Vorteile: It's easy to use, beautifully designed and has all the features that sets you up to create a beautiful and professional website. I get compliments on my website almost daily - thanks Squarespace!

Nachteile: I'd like to integrate other payment processing services with my site.

Squarespace is Easy Website Creation and Management

Bewertet am 17.10.2019
Paul W.
eLearning Designer and Developer
E-Learning, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I've really enjoyed working with Squarespace. The learning curve hasn't been too bad. Obviously there are new features introduced and the product continues to improve.

Vorteile: Overall the simplicity of the tool makes it wonderful to use. I can add an entry to my website in usually minutes and I don't even think about formating or HTML code or anything like that. I just simply write an article or manage the purchases from my clients.

Nachteile: It would be nice to be able to offer multiple currencies in the eCommerce components. I'm Canadian and I wish to offer US dollars to my American clients, but I still need to operate my business in Canada. My Canadian clients would appreciate being able to show for my services in Canadian currency.

One of the Best Website Builders

Bewertet am 11.1.2020
Jared D.
Customer Success Manager

Kommentare: I wish I had known about them sooner otherwise we would've avoided paying an agency to build a custom site. Now we have to pay them every time we want any edits/adjustments made however minute they may be.

Vorteile: Squarespace delivers a super user-friendly tool that allows nonprofits I work with who don't have much tech experience to quickly build a website. It's easily customizable and their templates are all mobile-responsive. They also have great integrations with tools like Mailchimp for email marketing and Google Analytics. Their support documentation is very clear and comprehensive. I've never had to reach out to their support for anything I couldn't find in their help center.

Nachteile: They have pre-made templates that look fantastic, but if you're looking for something with drag and drop functionality for complete customization like Wix.com or Weebly, then Squarespace isn't for you. You can usually tell if a website is Squarespace because oftentimes different sites will use the same template. I also think that they could lower their pricing a tad and just offer less features.

Best For Those With No Web Dev Experience

Bewertet am 14.10.2019
Amber C.
Inbound Marketing Strategist

Kommentare: Overall, if you have very little experience with web development, Squarespace is a great tool to create an eCommerce Website or regular website. If you know the team members that will be updating your website have very little experience, Squarespace will be easy for them to figure out. In our marketing business, we typically only work with Squarespace when a client has a pre-existing site on the platform that they do not want to move. We typically recommend Wordpress or Hubspot depending on budget and other needs, just due to the flexibility of each platform.

Vorteile: Squarespace is incredibly easy to use. With easy user interfaces and a "What You See Is What You Get" editor, they make it easy to create beautiful websites with little experience.

Nachteile: Because Squarespace is easy to use, it leaves some advanced features to desire. The templates are more restrictive and I find as an experienced web developer, I often get frustrated with what I cannot do in Squarespace that I can do in Wordpress. You'll also pay more for Squarespace than you would if you used Wordpress and your own hosting.

Secure, Easy, Fast

Bewertet am 12.11.2019
Matthew B.
Operations Manager
Immobilien, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Squarespace was a great switch to make after experience security and functionality problems with WordPress.

Vorteile: Squarespace takes all of the guess work out of building a functional, fast, and beautiful website for current and new customers.

Nachteile: Some functions you may want to customize might be unavailable depending on the template you choose. You could easily have a site that looks too similar to another company if your brand message isn't solid, as templates are pretty stock. Some features are locked behind a premium plan.

A website-builder following the K.I.S.S. mantra

Bewertet am 11.12.2019
Ian B.
Director of Marketing

Kommentare: Squarespace can't do everything you might want from a website. Or... well... it probably nearly can. The devil is in "how" it accomplishes things. Essentially the whole product keeps you "on rails" as you roll out a website. Every element within the builder has maybe one or two customization options, but the rest is hidden behind an impenetrable interface. But, Squarespace isn't just keeping functionality out of your hands to be cruel, it is often saving you from yourself. By limiting the options available to you, they also limit the potential outcomes of your foray into web design / ecommerce / etc into mostly desirable ones. Sometimes, rules/restrictions can be good! In this way, I'd say they are kind of like the "apple" of website-building platforms.

Vorteile: At one time, Squarespace's slogan was "build it beautiful." They take this mantra seriously, as the platform makes it almost impossible to NOT make a beautiful website. Can it be restrictive? Yes. But in limiting the user's options, it often is doing them a service. If you absolutely must have functionality or an type of implementation Squarespace doesn't support, then you probably need the help of an expert (either a dev agency or a marketing/design agency) or you are yourself an expert – in which case, you probably should have started with a more sophisticated tool.

Nachteile: The one area where customization is often necessary is in CSS. A bit of custom CSS goes a long way toward making a site look less like a template. Just as having a clean crisp UI/UX is the bread and butter that makes Squarespace sites so attractive to small businesses, having a "one-of-a-kind" look can go a long way toward making those businesses look more credible. It is a delicate balancing act, which Squarespace usually nails quite well... but the lack of documentation on how the site treats custom CSS is a shortcoming. I basically end up anding "Important!" to everything, because it is impossible to tell what elements of my CSS Squarespace is going to arbitrarily overwrite with no explanation.

The best website builder for lightweight needs and support

Bewertet am 31.10.2019
Kael K.
Website Creator
Umweltdienstleistungen, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall, Squarespace has saved me a great deal of time managing the website and keeping it updated and current. It hasn't been without its headaches but it's definitely nice to be able to leave it sit for a period of time without worrying about technical difficulties. I used WordPress in the past and it's much, much easier. The major downside is your site will look Squarespace-y. All Squarespace sites have a certain modern styling and it's difficult to give it a unique look but that's the price we pay for simplicity.

Vorteile: The ease of creating and managing the website are its strongest suite. There is definitely a learning curve and not everything is intuitive out of the box. However, once you get through the quirks it can save substantial amounts of time creating content and maintaining the site into the future. It takes a lot of complexity out of website creation. It's a major relief to not have to worry about updating plugins and hoping something doesn't break. It's mobile friendly out of the box and much easier to handle things like image galleries or even selling products.

Nachteile: Every website must be on its own plan. No bundles or creating multiple websites on the same server. Choosing a template upfront can be tricky because it's hard to foresee what capabilities you'll need down the line and each template has its own abilities and quirks. You can always change the template but that often requires substantial reworking of the content. Also, you must work with the confines of what Squarespace can do. If you're trying to do something relatively complicated you're likely to run into roadblocks and limitations and you'll be stuck doing it the "Squarespace way" or not at all.

Be Fancy....AND Simple....Live Your Website Dreams!

Bewertet am 25.9.2019
Patrice P.
Unterhaltung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Overall, Squarespace gets the job done and looks good doing it! I do hope that there's continued improvement in the area that I mentioned above, but overall, I've been happy with Squarespace.

Vorteile: What drew me to Squarespace initially were the aesthetics. The style and choice of their templates were a cut above what I had seen on Wordpress or WIX - of which I did try using both platforms at one point in time. I also LOVE how user friendly Squarespace is! Even if you're not super techie, it feels very intuitive and dare I say...fun to use...

Nachteile: One of my biggest cons lies within the "blogging" aspect of Squarespace. There are a great deal of limitations in formatting, especially if you don't know how to code. When creating a draft of a blog, Squarespace does not *automatically save anything as you go....so I cringe at the times that I've lost an entire blog post because something froze --- the remedy I was told was to simply type out a blog post in another application (Word, etc.) and then post it in the blog section. But I often find myself editing a draft in Squarespace -- making final corrections.....so I have to be veryyy careful to only edit in my "Word" document and not make any changes once I put it into Squarespace or it has the potential of being lost....

Great website usage, and overall easeability for someone who doesn't know how to code

Bewertet am 18.9.2019
Laura P.
Photographer
Fotografie, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Overall, I will be a lifetime user of Squarespace. It has catapulted my wedding photography business into the next level, allowed me to optimize my site with unique keywords and SEO search terms that put it at the top of the Google search for wedding photographers in my area, and the analytics section of the site is really helpful to see where my traffic is coming from on my site and how I can drive more traffic to my site. Again, as someone who knows hardly anything about SEO, it has made me an SEO wizard and has revolutionized my wedding photography business!

Vorteile: I love the fact that there are so many templates that you can choose from to make your website exactly the way that you want it to. I also love the fact that the templates are so easy to use, especially for someone like me who doesn't like or really know how to code!

Nachteile: What I dislike is that there are certain templates that do not allow you to customize as easily, or at all, as some of the other templates. I found that I have to really search how to change things within each template and then decide from there if it is a template that I want to use. It was trial and error to discover that not all templates have fully customizable features and I wish that they all were fully customizable to make it even easier to use.

The best website builder!!

Bewertet am 5.9.2019
Marisela E.
Bekleidung & Mode, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We have a very professional website, the website is optimized, it is easy to use for our clients, and has brought in more business because of the look of our website. We are pleased with using Squarespace, in that it allows us to update our site easily, make necessary changes, we are able to look at the Analytics and make changes based on that information. We are able to invoice clients through the website, so everything looks professional.

Vorteile: There are so many great features with this software, all laid out beautifully with the interface. You can start designing your website using one of the suggested templates or a blank site, but right away you can add images and text, manipulate the look/size/overall feel of the site. The best part is that you can see how the changes look right away, you can see your site on computer screen, or tablet, phone; you can see how website looks in the different formats. In addition, there are Commerce features and many others that are excellent. Lastly, the way that files are saved are organized, very easy to retrieve and add onto the various pages, structures.

Nachteile: There are no cons that I have encountered. I am very happy with how the website looks. The one con is that it takes a bit of time to build the website to your desired professional look... but that is expected of any website building experience. That it will take some time to get to the finished result.

Beautiful Templates but lacking in Clarity and Customer Support

Bewertet am 8.8.2019
Marianne L.
Cheif Creative Guru & Experiential Evangelist
Design, Selbstständig

Kommentare: The intent of this site was I thought to make it possible for anyone to easily create their own website and get it up and running quickly. I didn't get that and felt I was making compromises again and again. I started a blog on Squarespace with the intent of linking it to my website - Squarespace said it would be a seamless process - followed the instructions could never get it to happen so it's still not linked. There was a challenge with my G Suite registration when I went to renew and after days of frustration and the risk of losing my domain I found out it was something on the Squarespace side that had not been completed. Definitely not what I thought I was getting.

Vorteile: I am an experiential designer so my website needs to really give a potential client a feel for what I do. After looking at several products available I selected Squarespace because I felt their esthetic best fit mine. There many beautiful templates to choose from.

Nachteile: I'm not a web designer but have clear sense of what I want my website to look like. I thought starting with a template close to where I would like the final site to be like would make the process easier and I could get it done on my own. Not the case. Step by step instructions are lacking in information. Inserting text and content is complicated and the final results were not what I originally thought I was getting and found myself making compromises left and right. The template you choose is populated with the elements (font & images) that caught your eye but you have to remove it all to build your content.If half way through you realize as I did this might be the best way to display my images after all you have to start all over again nothing transfers.

The Best AND Easiest Website-Creating Software You Will Ever Use!

Bewertet am 4.8.2019
Jenna S.
Fotografie, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Squarespace has saved me time, money, and has allowed me to expand my photography business over the past 5 years by providing the perfect place for clients to find me online. Plus, I get SO many compliments on my website! People always comment on how it is professional, clean, and easy to navigate.

Vorteile: When I first started looking for a platform to create a website for my fledgling photography business nearly 5 years ago, there were a few specific characteristics I was seeking: I needed the platform to be easy to use, quick to set up, and to showcase my photos in an optimal way to potential clients. I found all of that and more with Squarespace! I was able to get my website set up in just a few days and was able to do it without any tears or that "I'm going to pull my hair out!" feeling. If anything, it was the complete opposite! I couldn't believe how easy everything was to set up and how professional my website looked.

Nachteile: The ONE thing I wish Squarespace had more of: more creative templates. Their website templates are a great, solid "skeleton" (if you will), but you definitely have to put extra work in if you want to make your website stand out from others who utilize the same template.

The best web design platform available

Bewertet am 4.8.2019
Derek N.
Marketing & Werbung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I am designing 99% of my clients websites on Squarespace. It helps me get to market faster and easier, and deliver a product my clients love.

Vorteile: I have been designing websites professionally for over 15 years and it's very rare that I don't design on Squarespace for clients. It's easy to use, the templates are beautiful, and there are so many features and endless flexibility.

Nachteile: I wish custom code injection was available on the basic/personal levels. As of right now, you need to upgrade to the business account to inject any code in the header or footer.

Squarespace gives you web-designer results even if you don't happen to be one.

Bewertet am 29.7.2019
Joshua D.
Office Administrator
Religiöse Einrichtungen, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall, I love this product. Everything just works, all the time. No patches, no updates. Easy, easy, easy. And when I made the switch, the actual initial setup of the site took less than a day. Granted the copy was all mostly written, and I was largely just copying and pasting. But still--the whole website was user-ready in a day.

Vorteile: Squarespace gives a fantastic user experience at every step of the process. Setup is a snap, site design and layout are easy, with a click-and-drag graphical menu system that makes it easy to visualize the overall structure of the site. Page design is super easy, with drag and drop modules that provide a wide range of functionalities. And there is an integrated store and payment system powered by Stripe. I also love the code block module -- this has been super helpful in beginning to integrate our directory functionality into the website. If you know some HTML, this can be a big plus in adding features. The responsiveness is nearly flawless and (almost always) looks exactly the way I want it to, no matter what device I'm using.

Nachteile: Squarespace does not provide a native file serving solution. Our organization needs to provide documents, forms, and announcements to members. I have created a workaround using Google Drive and a hyperlinked index page on the site, but if I were not already able to use Google Apps script, the maintenance of this index page would be cumbersome. There is also no member-forum type module offered by Squarespace. Again, there are workarounds for this, but it would be nice to have a native solution. Also, the Squarespace calendar module does not integrate with Google Calendar. Once again, I have found a workaround for this using an <iframe> in an HTML code block, but it would be nice if there were native Google Calendar integration offered by Squarespace.

Squarespace is great for small businesses

Bewertet am 31.5.2019
Jenna a M.
Artist
Kunst & Handwerk, Selbstständig

Kommentare: My overall experience with Squarespace is that it has allowed me to increase my profits, I've had a better time at events when people want to make purchases, and in general it is a well run software, so I really appreciate it. It is very accessible, it has made me look more professional, and it rarely has any bugs. Good job !

Vorteile: I have been using Squarespace for a few years as a working artist with a small business. There are a lot of events that happen for crafts and painting, and no one has cash, and I certainly don't have change to give them. When I got onto squarespace a few years ago I was amazed that they sent me a free sliding card chip reader, how easy it was to sign up, and I was a bit upset with myself that I hadn't signed up sooner. The amount of sales I missed before squarespace could probably have paid for a vacation or a big increase in my business, however all is well because I have it now. I really like that I can also keep profiles of different people, I can send people invoices, I can send people receipts, I can really make sure that I stay in their minds as a future place to buy from. I think that square space has also been successful for me because having a squarespace account has made me more professional with overseas buyers. Sometimes I get quite a bit of traction on sales through instagram, and paypal is not seen as the best route by these people, they prefer square space. It has given them ease of mind when they receive a digital receipt, when they see that i take my business seriously, and that has created a lot of good relationships for me in places like Australia, New Zealand and so forth. It has also allowed me to let people set up payment plans by tracking all their payments through square space and that too has increased a lot of business for me. Squarespace has helped!

Nachteile: I think that I am always worried about losing the swiper. If there was a way where squarespace could get rid of that all together and yet allow a one go swipe I would be really grateful for that. The only other issues I have had is sometimes the software has frozen while I am in the middle of a transaction and that has made things a bit difficult for me in the moment, however, this is common for a lot of apps that have high usage, so I am not super upset about it. I think that in the moment you can hope that things will be perfect but they can't always be. Overall though I think the software has better positives than negatives. I think that it is very good software.

Best option for Small Businesses that aren't IT savvy

Bewertet am 19.10.2018
Director of Human Resources
Fotografie, Selbstständig

Kommentare: If you are a small business or a startup trying to get a professional web presence, or an existing company with a horrible website, don't believe the limitations of a decade ago and "pro" web developers and companies that create websites for you for a large sum of money with continuing maintenance costs. Website development sites like Squarespace allow for any moderately computer literate individual to create amazing looking professional websites and professional emails with little hassle. You don't need an IT department or a website developer, and honestly, your site will look better than many I've had created by corporate webdevs. The trick is that sites like Squarespace use templates that you choose and customize with your own content. The con is, while there are tons of options in templates, what you see is what you get and you can really only customize content and minor aesthetics like font, pages, color schemes, pictures, etc. However, the templates are gorgeous and modern designed sites that will make your website look cutting edge.
I've used several competitors, and while Wix is probably my next favorite due to customization, Squarespace is leagues better than any other site developer I've used, including Weebly, Wordpress, GoDaddy, Wix, etc. It is just so simple and the templates, while probably the least customization, are the prettiest ones available that add a professional touch you can't replicate in something like Wix. No IT, no problem.

Vorteile: Ease of use is unparalleled.
Templates are aesthetically unmatched by competitors- it's not even close.
The ability to switch between templates whenever you want is amazing.
Very professional feel to website with seamless G Suite integration.
Cost is very competitive.
Mobile optimized websites are lightyears beyond GoDaddy and Wix.

Nachteile: The templates are amazing, and there are a lot of choices, but if you don't like the options, you are stuck with what they have. Customizing is very limited within the Template framework, unlike Wix.
In order to be glitch-free and mobile optimized, the templates have very little customization.

Squarespace remains my top choice, but just barely.

Bewertet am 7.9.2018
Dave V.
Founder and Arts Chaplain
Musik, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I used to build my own sites - first manually then through Wordpress. I used to have a lot of security issues. Multiple hacks and breaches. Lost sites and downtime. I haven't lost a wink of sleep over a website since I signed up for Squarespace. For me, that's worth the money I pay. The software is beautiful, slick and simple (once you understand it - it's a bit quirky). But the cost keeps rising while other, cheaper options keep getting better. I still love Squarespace, but it's increasingly tough to recommend based on price.

Vorteile: Squarespace is easy to set up (a site can be completed in an hour or less if you have all the info you need ready to go). Once a site is live, it rarely has any issues, becomes visible on Google fairly quickly, and there are no security worries to deal with as everything is hosted on THEIR servers, not mine. The templates are the best in the business and it's difficult to make a Squarespace site look ugly. Not impossible of course, but tough :) Drag and drop interface is great and integrations abound.

Nachteile: Squarespace has become increasingly expensive, moving more and more features to higher and higher tiers. Their e-commerce options are great for a simple store with few product options, but you cannot change the image of a product when a customer selects a variation of that product - like a different colour of shift, for example. This was a deal-breaker on a recent project and drove us toward Shopify. Wix sites used to look terrible. They can now look pretty good (again, mileage may vary with templates and design skills). Bandzoogle has more features for bands at a better price point. Weebly has great design options. All claim easy drag and drop interfaces. All offer cheaper options than Squarespace for a similar feature set. Squarespace domains are free for the first year only. Then, thye cost more than many other options. I found that one out the hard way.

The argument for Squarespace over Wordpress: for simplicity and beginners

Bewertet am 26.7.2018
Virginia B.
Communications Manager
Quelle: GetApp

Vorteile: There are many, many website creation platforms… and making the wrong decision is a disaster no one should have encounter. Because Squarespace and Wordpress are so prominently recognized, this review is intended for those trying to decide between the two. Overall, I would recommend Squarespace for organizations, entrepreneurs, small size businesses, startup company, or anyone who wants to take a more simplistic approach to building their website. Wordpress would be better utilized for websites with a lot of content, images, or heavily customizable needs and/or larger businesses. Pros
Squarespace website generation platform is a heavily controlled and monitored environment, run only by the company itself. All the testing is done within their own environment to ensure all plugins, tools, etc. are running correctly at all times.
Squarespace is a great fit for beginners who would prefer to have the web creation platform make the decisions for you or those who want something simple and navigationally instinctual. Navigating my way around Squarespace took me a simple day to learn its ins and outs; it took me nearly a year to learn all the unique, in-depth features of Wordpress. Because Squarespace is not an open source platform, its customer support team is available 24-hours a day, to help resolve issues and provide advice (via live chat). It’s their responsibility to fix any plugins, or issues that arise outside of your control. In contrast Wordpress is an open source platform, meaning the responsibility for fixing any issues that arise would fall on you; you will most likely need to hire outside help if you are a beginner and/or have little tech/coding experience. Although Wordpress is more customizable (developers/programmers can create their own plugins, themes, and tools and apply it to your site for a specific look) you take the risk of running into potential compatibility issues; open source does not always guarantee 100% reliability.

Nachteile: Because Squarespace is a more simplistic approach to web creation, you don’t have the option to fully customize the theme or jazz it up the way you may want. If you are really looking to create a website that is fully automated and stands out from the general information website I would suggest WordPress. I have not found Squarespace’s community help center to be as helpful in providing answers or pointing me in the right direction, however you always have support available to you; Wordpress has a larger collection of help forums on the web that can help you figure out fix issues, compatibility, coding adjustments, etc.

Easily Create an Ever-Beautiful Website

Bewertet am 8.1.2017
Kyla O.
Owner/Designer
Bekleidung & Mode, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I have been using Squarespace for my e-commerce business for a few years now and love it! Squarespace sites are easy to create and update, while always remaining beautiful. I have used other drag-and-drop website building software in the past and even though the layouts looked right when I was editing, once I viewed them live and on different devices, there were always problems. With Squarespace's platform, my site always looks exactly the way I expect it to.
I recently added the e-commerce component to my site and while it doesn't have a ton of features, like other sites, it works perfectly for what I need. Some templates are better suited for e-commerce, so if that's what you're looking for, make sure to look into which ones those are.
Squarespace websites are also automatically optimized for search engines! Last year I took an SEO course to improve traffic to my website and a bunch of the suggestions involved manually updating parts of my site every few months so that search engines would continue to find my site. When I inquired with Squarespace about how to go about this, they let me know that their platform already does this for my site automatically--yay! I also discovered a variety of other SEO features that are built into every Squarespace site, so you don't have to worry about updating or even knowing about much of it--it's all done for you!
While Squarespace doesn't offer customer service by phone, they are timely with responding to inquiries via email and their robust online knowledge base has answered many of my questions in just a few minutes. They also offer a chat feature Mon-Fri.
Finally, one of the reasons I decided to switch to Squarespace was for integrations, like MailChimp--they make it easy to connect with my customers and streamline collecting their information. They also just added an integration with PayPal for checkout, which I can already tell has made purchases easier for my customers.
Overall, I am extremely happy with Squarespace and look forward to discovering, even more, features!

Vorteile: Ease of use
Beautiful designs
Great customer service
Affordable
useful integrations (PayPal, MailChimp, etc)
built-in SEO
constantly updating and adding more features

Nachteile: e-commerce platform has minimal features
No customer service phone support
Some features are only available on a limited number of templates

An high quality web solution for non-technical people who need create and manage a website

Bewertet am 20.2.2018
Gabe M.
IT Administrator
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: This product helped me launch my web storefront quickly and easily. It was truly a pleasure using this solution for my personal business.

Vorteile: - Beautiful templates. Initially they offered relatively few templates compared to other website providers, however, all of their templates were very polished. Since their early days, they have plenty of templates to get you go quickly for almost any look you are going for.
- The page editor is very easy to start using and experiment and becoming productive.
- Product management: Product management is great in how you can manage dimensions, price, inventory, etc. When you make sales, it decreases the inventory accordingly (quite a nice little feature). The dimensions you input for your products works hand-in-hand with shipping options you offer with your storefront. HUGE benefit here for making sure the products you offer and are puchased will fit in the right boxes your customers purchased. I cannot emphasize how awesome this is.
-Sales reports and analysis tools: This is so nice to track your monthly/annual sales and correlate them to your promotional and marketing efforts.

Nachteile: - Pricing: More expensive than competitors, but you are paying for refinement and amenities. For non-technical people, refinement and features may be worth it. For Technical folks who can develop their own website, pricing may deter them from using SquareSpace.
- Template customization confusion: From a non-technical perspective, it may be very confusing why one template reacts differently to similar changes to layout/content creation. This could cause some frustration for those users.