Mostly reliable platform for online classes

Bewertet am 4.2.2019
Russell P.
Teacher, Consultant
E-Learning, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Pleased with my experiences with Blackboard. It's incredible that you are able to take virtual classes with this platform.

Vorteile: As background information, this was used for online classes - so my experiences is limited and based only on that. With that said, though, I was pleased with my interactions with Blackboard Collaborate. Here are the pros:
- It has an Interactive Whiteboard feature that is quite helpful. Teachers can add their slide deck or presentation here. The students can then "interact" with the presentation using some nice features (type words, underline texts, even highlight).
- Similar to other programs, you can share your device's screen with the class or you can allow other students to share their screen if they need to show a presentation or something. This comes in very handy if used well.
- If you've never used Blackboard before, I think it's pretty easy to get the hang of. It's well organized and has a nice user interface.
- Without Blackboard, managing the workflow in an online class would be extremely difficult. However, Blackboard does a phenomenal job of allowing information, assignments, quizzes, etc. to be assigned and returned/collected in an organized fashion.
- If a student is unable to attend a live session, Blackboard includes a record option so they can go back and watch the lesson whenever possible. This can also be used for remediation and review.
- They have some nice little features that often go overlooked, like the quick response or thumbs up/thumbs down features. It's helpful when quickly checking for understanding.
- Breakout/small group feature.

Nachteile: Here are some concerns:
- While it works well with Chrome, this platform does not seem to work with Safari or Edge. (This could be user error, though.)
- This may be user error, too, but I found the audio to be a little off. It seems like they could do some updates here to help it sound a little more smooth and less choppy. Sometimes you don't always hear everything.
- Even though the record feature is awesome - it can be annoying because the video and the audio are sometimes off.
- I guess this could be based on the WiFi connectivity, but video quality is inconsistent.

I've been using this for years, and love it, but it has major issues

Bewertet am 27.8.2016
Lauren M.
Grundschul- & Sekundarbildung
3.5 / 5
4.5 / 5

Vorteile: Blackboard Collaborate is such a great option for online teachers. We use it to meet with students and present lessons live on the computer. I use it weekly. It is seamlessly integrated with PowerPoint. The features are neat - you have lots of controls as a moderator. You can allow students to speak, use video cameras, type, draw, add pictures to the whiteboard, etc. You can set how many students can be speaking at once. You can mute them by taking away tools. You can create breakout rooms. You can play all sorts of media. You can remove students who are not behaving. You can lock the room or allow attendees in late. I've met with anywhere from 1 to 700 participants. You can make permanent forcing slides and make sure that students can't do anything without a teacher being present, but there are downsides to those functionalities as well. The app is really great. It is limited, and simple, but I've never had a problem with it.

Nachteile: The major thing I dislike is the "exception error" that I get CONSTANTLY. Basically, BBC can only handle so much data. Because it can't tell which participant needs what, it actually has to save and stream anything within a certain time period and send that out to everyone in the room. So, it really bogs the room down. It is just saving a TON of data at any given time. We've had to create separate rooms for back to back sessions instead of hosting them in the same room for this reason. It'll give an exception error if you try to do too much with too many people in too small a timeframe. Don't try to host a session over a wireless hotspot unless you have unlimited data. One session cost me like 2 gigs of data. Recording can only be done in the main room. If you need to record in a breakout session, you'll have to figure something else out. We use Snagit for breakout room recordings. The administrator panel is very confusing. I'm really tech savvy and I have a hard time navigating. It is definitely not intuitive when it comes to setting up new rooms and adding moderators. The permanent forcing slides are good. No issues there. However, what a pain to set up -- it just makes no sense. I wish it was easier to figure out how to do that.

BB as an Administrator & a Student

Bewertet am 22.12.2018
Neisha P.
Marketing Administrative Assistant
Hochschulbildung, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I like Blackboard as a learning platform. I do think, like all software, a few bugs need to be worked out for better administration. Maybe a face-lift would be nice as well.

Vorteile: As a student the software is easy to use and has an easy to use dashboard. It is nice to be able to email other students or teachers, especially when you get to the university level. I like how there are different options to view your grades and when you submit your assignments there is a confirmation code that is generated. There is also a variety of tools besides email in which communication can take place, like discussion boards, videos, or links to other websites. I also found it handy to keep track of important announcements from campus organizations and professors. As an Administrator I like how the software can keep me organized and track the progress of the students.

Nachteile: I did not have many issues as a student, but as an administrator I found a few places with room for improvement. At times it was difficult to upload assignments, I would always get an error message. I know I am completing the correct steps because I have uploaded many assignments. Another issue I had was that this software always seemed to go down at the most in opportune times, like right before finals and then an extension had to be given to the students to be fair. I can't say if it was the fault of the school or the software, all I know is it is frustrating.

Equips you to be organized

Bewertet am 20.11.2018
Rebecca B.
Student
E-Learning, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I have completed several courses both in class and online through blackboard and have minimal negative comments. I have taken it for math, science, and even art courses and each were fairly easy to navigate. Having electronic copies of important documents, like the syllabus, is invaluable because it is always accessible for your reference. The more you use it, the easier it becomes to navigate.

Vorteile: Everything you needed for the course could be found under its heading, so you always had access to your syllabus and course requirements. It allows the unconventional student to be equipped with everything they need to still learn outside of the classroom - at the convenience of their own time.

Nachteile: Just because all the information is provided does not mean you are automatically organized - toggling between tabs creates the possibility of potentially missing an assignment, as blackboard does not alert you when something is due. therefore, if you happen to skip over a tab in the class you may also be skipping over an assignment.

Very Useful Technology!

Bewertet am 12.12.2018
Christina B.
Sales Assistant
Bildungsmanagement, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I liked using Blackboard being able to stay on top of all my grades while staying on top of my assignments is a huge help. Thanks to Blackboard it has made me be a better student.

Vorteile: I enjoyed using Blackboard as a student of a local community college. I found that it was really easy to use and one of the best programs I had ever encountered! It was so important to me to be able to learn not only in class, but also at home. Being that I had not been in classes in some time it sometimes took me longer than my classmates to understand, and learn things. I was able to use Blackboard at home and they had many different activities that would help you get extra practice from flashcards, quizzes and labs that you could use to help you better understand the curriculum that was being taught that day!

Nachteile: Sometimes down for scheduled banner maintenance so was not able to access my grades or assignments when I needed to. Thankfully I was always informed of any maintenance beforehand so I was able to see the information needed before it was down! (Not usually very long at all though!)

Student review of Blackboard

Bewertet am 28.11.2018
Tiffani B.
Tutor/Adjunct Faculty
Bildungsmanagement, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I used this platform while in college. All of our classes were accessible in one place and we had access to teachers/classmates at all times. Could ask questions and get immediate responses. Could submit papers/assignments so you never had to worry about your dog eating it (😁). Calendar kept you organized on due dates and class material. Grades on classwork/tests were easily accessible at all times.

Nachteile: From a student perspective it was a great program. There were only a couple of things that I found difficult but I think it had more to do with the teacher who set up the class on Blackboard. Some material was hard to find. Too many options to put assignments. They should all go in one place. Didn't like the fact that I had to open up 5 folders to find reading assignment or questions to be answered. Discussion board could get overwhelming and looked very disorganized

Blackboard

Bewertet am 4.2.2019
Cristy L.
Staff Auditor
Einzelhandel, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall I love Blackboard

Vorteile: The thing I like about blackboard is the ability to download app onto phone and easily navigate through messages, discussion post, new grades submitted.. the list goes on. Blackboard has taken in the evolving approach in technology implemented into this software. You can modify, add or dismiss what you don't want shown. Blackboard if your platform and can customise it as you wish to fit your need. It is very user friendly.

Nachteile: I don't think there's anything I dislike about this software. Perhaps the one thing I like least about this software is not being able to view attempted assessments via the phone application. It will direct you to use your desktop browser to view details.

Worked with Blackboard for several yrs obtaining two degress as an online student.

Bewertet am 6.8.2018
Senior Payroll Generalist
Bildungsmanagement, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I have used Blackboard across the years in different educational facilities as an online student. It has been non-problematic and I've achieved to college degrees and would recommend to anyone looking to set-up a learning environment.

Vorteile: I like the ease and setup of the course in blackboard. The layout is super-friendly in terms of finding your course materials, your email, instructor information, or accessing discussion boards. As a student in different schools, I found blackboard worked pretty much the same way, no issues in attending my live class sessions or taking my tests.

Nachteile: No cons regarding blackboard from a student's stance. It is really laid out where anyone can log in and find their way around after a brief tutorial.

Blackboard review

Bewertet am 23.1.2019
Jennifer M.
Student
E-Learning, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall i like using blackboard because it helps me keep all my classes and assignment in one program which is really helpful. And all my grades are shown for each class.

Vorteile: I really liked using blackboard for all of my classes. It was an easy website or app to go to everyday to check my grade and assignments that are due. It made it easy for me to contact teachers when needed.

Nachteile: I don’t love the set up of the website when you log in. It takes some getting used to to fully understand it. I also didn’t like how it showed all the classes i took in past semesters first so i had to go to the bottom of the page to find the classes I’m currently enrolled in.

Good collaborative tool for long-distance learning

Bewertet am 27.1.2018

Vorteile: Lots of useful features for professors and students that makes online learning feel more personal. Instant messaging works well and the interactive whiteboard is indispensable. It's a nice touch that it's browser-based, so there's no need for students to download a desktop version as it can be accessed anywhere. Students seems to benefit from the instant interaction with the teacher with the two-way webcam capabilities. Uploading files, slides, and videos is smooth and useful.

Nachteile: All features are hard to realise if you don't have a lot of IT resources or experience. Students should be able to record private sessions/breakout rooms. Sometimes students find that the more people in attendance, the more instance of freezing and errors. Some students have also mentioned issues interacting with the MacBooks. Tablet/mobile capability could also be tweaked as the interactive whiteboard seems to have issues on these platforms.

Graduate Academic Use

Bewertet am 25.4.2019
Marketing & Business Intelligence Assistant
Architektur & Planung, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I like Blackboard, it is fairly easy to use, it has a feature that will show you your upcoming assignments due, it has a discussion board & email capability so you can contact your fellow students.

Vorteile: We use Blackboard for my graduate school classes, as well as my undergraduate experience. It works well for what we need it for - posting in-class materials, submission of homework assignments, communication of information between professor & students and also between students. Also, this time around (in my grad program), I now get automated emails when my professors update info or grade assignments, which is very nice to have. I didn't have that as an undergrad.

Nachteile: Sometimes it can be somewhat clunky. I have seen it from the professor's side when they have tons of classes they're teaching, and it is a mess - I don't know how they navigate it. But overall it serves the students well.

A solid virtual learning solution

Bewertet am 22.4.2019
Peter B.
Bildungsmanagement, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I used Collaborate heavily during graduate school. In our small/medium classes (10-12 students), the teacher could make us feel like we were all together in person using this program. We did often interrupt one another, but this is the case with any such program. Overall, this is an excellent web conferencing or online class solution for those in the education field.

Vorteile: Collaborate integrates seamlessly with Blackboard, so it's a perfect fit for any institution that utilizes Blackboard. This program allows teachers to hold class virtually, which is especially nice for virtual makeup days or online classes. Collaborate itself is pretty easy to use--certainly more so than Blackboard itself.

Nachteile: Collaborate is fairly easy to use, but it's still probably not as easy as Hangouts or Skype. However, its integration with Blackboard overshadows any shortcomings with ease of use. Cost can also be a large hurdle when purchasing Blackboard.

Virtual Learning In Blackboard

Bewertet am 22.7.2019
Dionne W.
Bildungsmanagement, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Blackboard allows me to meet with my students in a virtual setting.

Vorteile: I like that the software was easy to use. I was able to learn the functions of the software on my own without any extensive training. I also like that when I invite students to meet me in the "blackboard room", that it is simply one click for them, type their name and they are in.

Nachteile: It may have been technical issues on my end, but sometimes Blackboard would timeout in the middle of a session with a student.

Best way to organize assignments for classroom

Bewertet am 28.11.2016
Libby K.
student

Kommentare: I used blackboard as a student. I always liked when a teacher would use blackboard to upload assignment, post grades, have PowerPoints available, and even when test and quizzes there.

Vorteile: Seeing grades posted throughout the semester, referencing resources that teachers posted, and taking quizzes and tests on it. I also appreciated that they worked with group projects to connect with other students in the class and to upload assignments.

Nachteile: It would crash every so often, not enough to make a huge deal about it.

Blackboard is a must for a modern learning work environment.

Bewertet am 22.3.2018
Deborah E.
Engineer
Computer-Software, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: The most important part of this program is its web conferencing feature ,which gives us access to functionalities needed to support a modern teaching and learning work environment, such as 2 way VoIP, built-in phone conferencing,multi-point video,rich media ,mobile collaboration , interactive whiteboard, application and desktop sharing, breakout rooms, and session recording.

Nachteile: Blackboard is restrictive in terms of the file formats, we are able to play. Also there is the tendency for text boxes and some dialogue components within the Blackboard framework to suddenly malfunction.

Great Transact system

Bewertet am 27.9.2018
Laina M.
Sup/technician
Bildungsmanagement, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: The software is very detailed. There are many part to one action, you can control everything you need to. It is easy to learn, which i have had to do. But also it is easy to learn and study on your own. The outcome results for example as on a register, is also detailed and self explanatory.

Nachteile: It is an older system. I think it needs to be updated where there is not so much room for error. It is very 90s set up.

Fantastic collaboration platform!

Bewertet am 10.12.2018
Ron A.
Junior Designer
Bau, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: - I used Blackboard as a student for both local college and distance learning programs. It is so easy to use and all of the course resources (outlines, notes, etc.) were easy to locate for each lesson.
- Contacting the course professor was simple through the interface, and the live chat was great!
- The interactive whiteboard is amazing during lessons

Nachteile: - File formats were limited in terms of what types of files could be hosted/played.
- Blackboard would, on occasion, crash and cause me to relaunch the site. Not a huge deal as it didn't happen that often.

Blackboard

Bewertet am 25.7.2019
Client Success Advisor

Kommentare: Blackboard is a great tool for school use. It allows you to stay organized and ahead of schedule. It is also a great way to stay in communication with professors and classmates to ask for help.

Vorteile: Blackboard was a great tool that I used when I was a student in order to keep in contact with my professor and classmates. It also allowed me to view assignment, past and upcoming. It helped me stay organized and on time with all of my assignments.

Nachteile: Not a con towards Blackboard, the school I was attending just switched from Blackboard to Canvas. At this time, I don't dislike anything about Blackboard.

Excellent Alternative to Google Hangouts, Skype or FaceTime for Online Tutoring or Conferencing

Bewertet am 26.3.2019
Becca G.
Learning Specialist
Hochschulbildung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We use this program in the Student Success Center for hosting online sessions (including live video interaction) for our tutoring and academic coaching services. We sometimes record a session for later use in training or for student reference. I have used it to conduct and record interviews for research purposes, as well.

Vorteile: I love that the "receiver" (in our case, the student who is meeting a tutor or academic coach online for a video session) doesn't have to download an app or program or even create an account or log-in. They can access a session through their browser using the link we send. This saves a lot of tech issues or the student having to make an account to access other options like Hangouts, Skype, FaceTime, etc.

Nachteile: Some of the features aren't easy to find. It could be more intuitively designed. There are help guides, but I have often thought that many features should be obvious and easy to find and not require the use of the Help section.

Super Easy Way To Communicate With Students and Upload, Organize and Grade Assignments

Bewertet am 2.11.2018
Michelle T.
Internet Marketing Specialist
Bildungsmanagement, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I used this software when I taught business courses for Ashford University. It was incredibly easy to use and I was able to upload video as well as the text for each chapter of the book. Once you have put all the work into setting up your course it is super simple to duplicate.

Nachteile: Every once in a while a student would have trouble uploading their paper or assignment to blackboard, however this was an easy fix with a call to support. Every time I called support they were able to quickly resolve the issue the first time I called.

Blackboard Collaborate

Bewertet am 15.8.2018
Richard S.
Blackboard Support and Services Manager
Hochschulbildung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: The ability to hold virtual meetings for business as well as academics is great. Our instructors love using Collaborate for virtual office hours and our HR department uses it for job interviews and board meetings. Great program.

Vorteile: Ease of use and integration into Blackboard courses with the additional capability of use outside of the LMS. The ability to hold virtual meetings for business as well as academics is great. Our instructors love using Collaborate for virtual office hours and our HR department uses it for job interviews and board meetings. Great program.

Nachteile: The compatibility with browsers other than Chrome has caused issues for faculty in the past. It is our understanding that Collaborate is made specifically for Chrome, which is not everyone's browser of choice.

Great LMS When Needing the Basics

Bewertet am 20.3.2019
Lecturer
Hochschulbildung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Overall I would say this product is straight forward when it comes to its functionality. The average user does not have to play around with the software to figure out what they need

Nachteile: Administratively it can be difficult to find how to adjust the settings and launch things using the software. It can take multiple steps to do something that should be easily handled.

Learn at Home

Bewertet am 21.5.2019
Online Classroom
E-Learning, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I would say most of the time it definitely serves its purpose. It has functionality to be able to ask
questions, and allows the organizer to manage it without being overwhelmed.

Vorteile: It doesn't cost anything for us to install and use. We don't have to worry about subscriptions.

Nachteile: Some times it just doesn't seem to be able to support the number of users on at one time in one class room

Blackboard with communication

Bewertet am 26.3.2019
Elizabeth R.
CEO of nonprofit organization
Non-Profit-Organisation Management, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: One has taken instruction on the Blackboard platform, turned in assigments for both work and education, and collaborated on work projects.

Vorteile: This software is easy to utilize within an organization. It offers the opportunity to collaborate with others, go into private discussion rooms, and do instruction.

Nachteile: Crashes at moments and does not opporate all the time as expected.

Great tool for college classes.

Bewertet am 7.6.2017
Courtney C.

Kommentare: Saved time and effort during a busy college life.

Vorteile: There is so much to keep track of with classes, assignments, grades, etc. and blackboard lets everything stay in one place so students and teachers aren't spending too much time just locating items.

Nachteile: It can be a little glitchy at times but overall, the pros greatly outweigh the cons for blackboard as a student.