Über Actionstep

Actionstep ist ein erstklassiges Managementsystem für Anwaltskanzleien, das Anwält*innen mehr Zeit gibt, um für Klient*innen jeden Tag etwas bewegen zu können.

Erfahre mehr über Actionstep

The user interface seemed to be easy to use on its face, and overall appeared colorful, allowing you to move between options.

So I don't contact tech support unless I've gone through everything in the manual and tried everything I can think of first. When that is met with "look at the manual" it's beyond frustrating.

Bewertungen zu Actionstep

3,9
3,9
4,0

Actionstep hat eine Gesamtbewertung von 4,3 von 5 Sternen basierend auf 130 Nutzerbewertungen auf Capterra.

Hast du Actionstep bereits verwendet?

Daniel Danny
Daniel Danny
Principal Legal Director in Australien
Anwaltskanzlei, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Stick with it - it's amazing

Kommentare: Overall, it has been fantastic. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was incredibly helpful, easy going, and keen to answer my questions. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] also incredibly knowledgeable and honest in his suggestions, I think he was one of the main reasons I decided to proceed with Actionstep - and I am very happy with that decision.

The features and functionality built in to Actionstep are amazing. This is a company that actually understands legal practice and legal software. I am impressed that Actionstep offer features that should be standard in every legal software, but aren't always included.

It does take some time to get used to it and to actually make it work for you. The key is to actually spend time using it and customising it to your needs. This isn't a plug and play solution out of the box, and firms will need to take time to make sure that they have configured it to meet their needs.

Antwort von Actionstep Software

Thank you Daniel. Fantastic to hear you are making the most of the functionality built into actionstep - we pride ourselves on being an All-In-One solution. If you have any questions - please don't hesitate to contact our support team on support@actionstep.com or in our in-app chat.

Carol
Carol
Rechtsberatung, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Lots of Customization options, but lacking some basic common sense

Kommentare: Mixed. A number of positive features, but also a number of time consuming and expensive issues to set it up and keep going, and almost "TOO" much for our needs, since it is missing some simple features.

For a small law office, there is a lot of potential to customize the matter setup and use different workflows. Also as a supervisor there is complete transparency so I see everything my support staff is doing, I like that the system does a complete backup of saved documents and matters. The Home page is very workable. And the timekeeping functions are good. I also really like the Microsoft Outook integration, even if I keep having to reboot it.

First, something simple. Make an "out of office" message available through the email system. When I set this up on my outlook, then even though it is integrated, if the client sends an email directly through the Actionstep platform,they do not receive that out of office message. Second, the billing system is not user-friendly. First, the billing templates are a lot harder to set up than they should be, even with the pre-made templates. Second, the trust accounting is difficult to integrate into the bills. Yes, it is there but not in a way that is client friendly. Third, this is so simple I fail to understand why it isnt in place. Make some simple billing features automatic like the ability to print aging on a bill. They have a form for it but it just looks weird! And why shouldn't you just be able to carry over onto a new bill in an easy way. Other case management software has this in a very easy format. Also, when we upgraded to the new billing format there are some ongoing and permanent glitches that make my bookeeper's job harder. Finally, this is a costly system compared to some others in the legal field. And we have received word that the cost is increasing. We will be in the process of reviewing other options. We may decide to stick with Actionstep since there are a lot of good features, but we don't feel strongly enough to keep it with a price increase down the road, even if we are "grandfathered" temporarily. We hired a consultant to help us get it set up.

Antwort von Actionstep Software

Carol - thanks for taking the time to write the review. We really appreciate your positive comments about Actionstep - particularly regarding transparency and Microsoft Office Integration. You have a number of suggestions which I am going to take to our product development team - hearing feedback like this is really helpful for us in planning out future product development work. We will be in touch with you directly to discuss these further. Thanks again.

Ryan
Anwaltskanzlei, Selbstständig

Watch out for this company

1,0 vor 2 Monaten Neu

Works on Mac. Functions well most of the time.

Annual subscription went from $1,306.80 in 2023 to $5,794.80 in 2024 - that's 450% in 1 year. An absolute joke! For a sole practitioner it's unaffordable. Have been using the platform since 2018 and the entire practice is structured around Actionstep - trust accounting, bank accounts, Xero and all clients. To migrate to another platform will cost a fortune. They've baited customers at a low price, then taken advantage of them. Also, terrible customer support.

Lisa
Partner in USA
Anwaltskanzlei, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Excellent CRM for lawyers!

Kommentare: Overall, this is a terrific product worth purchasing!

We loved the ability to craft work flows based upon our specific practice. But we also had the flexibility to obtain pre-set work flows as well. The client management and task automation is incredibly helpful.

My biggest frustration is that we created a webform so with a couple clicks, staff can create a new potential client matter using that information as it integrates into the software. However, 90% of the webforms are spam that has to be read every day because bots are completing the form. Have not seen a remedy for this because AS just refers us to our own IT but we have filters and the bots are coming in through AS system. This is a huge issue I've spent so much time on and it is the one issue that would make our work lives so much better if it could be remedied.

Brahm
lawyer in Kanada
Rechtsberatung, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Actionstep still the best but not yet perfect

Kommentare: Overall, I've been very happy with Actionstep. I get the most satisfaction when I get a new client and need to create a document that I have set up document assembly for, and am able to generate in seconds a document that would have taken an hour or more to create manually.

Document assembly tools are the most powerful of the many cloud based law practice management systems I have looked at. CLIO's document assembly comes close, but not quite as powerful. It is also the most customizable cloud based law practice management system I have tested.

Options for integration with accounting and invoicing software is fairly limited. Learning curve is a bit steeper than other cloud based systems. They seem to have heard these concern and over the past four years that I've been using Actionstep, and their development team has making progress on these two fronts. They aren't perfect yet, but they seem to be continually improving.

Antwort von Actionstep Software

Hi Brahm, Thank you so much for your fantastic review. Its great to hear you are saving hours using our Document Automation functionality! Should you ever have any questions or would like to learn how how to get even more out of Actionstep, please do not hesitate to contact our customer success or support teams Thanks

Dan
Attorney / Owner in USA
Rechtsberatung, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Workflows Good! But Search, Integration with other software, and Document Generation need work.

Kommentare: We are happy with the workflows. We like that we are able to access our client data from anywhere with internet. We are disappointed in our ability to utilize all the data we have stored because of the terrible document and data search functions, limited document generation abilities and difficulty importing or exporting data to other software we use for drafting and client contact.

Workflows, workflows, workflows. They help us keep our law office on track and help us keep deadlines and make sure we do not miss a step in complicated transactions. We like that Actionstep seems to be trying to improve the product.

Search is terrible! Searching for documents is useless. Searching for contacts by employer/place of work is impossible. These are basic things a law office needs to do, and this software is a hindrance to getting work done because of its awful search capabilities. Also, the fact that you can only see so many results on a page is maddening. Imagine that you want to search your contacts and get a list of contacts that live in a certain city. You want to select them all and send an email or something. NOPE! Search results are limited to 200, no matter how many contacts you have from that city, and you can only see 10 per page, and the results are not sortable; they come in random order. Also, there is no way to select them all and take any action like sednding them all an email within the program. Copy and paste of contact info is also impossible. I have many opportunities during a week to send one person the contact info for another person. Actionstep has no way for me to easily do this. There is no button to click, function to use or work-around for selecting a contact and getting that contact's info onto the clipboard for pasting into a document or email. You can bring up the contact and drag your mouse over various places on the contact form to copy the address, then do it again for the name, then do it again for the email address, then do it again for the phone number, then do it again for the fax number. But be careful not to *click on the(I ran out of space on this form)

Antwort von Actionstep Software

Hi Dan, Thank you for your feedback - great to hear that workflows are empowering your firm. I have passed on your feedback to our product team who will reach out directly if they need more detail. Should you have any other specific requests or suggestions, please do not hesitate to email support@actionstep.com so our product team can assess them in light of upcoming development. Thanks Matt

Gary

Small NY Metro Area Law Firm, T&E

Kommentare: We find it perfectly fits our needs.

Comprehensive features, simple interface

Like all similar programs out there, use of templates and other excellent advanced features requires regular use, or expense of consultants.

Antwort von Actionstep Software

Hi Gary, Thank you for such a positive review. In regards to your comment on making use of templates & advanced features - we are making these more accessible to all users by producing more guides, videos, webinars & product tours. These are all free to access & will be kept up to date as we release & improve features. Should your firm need a more hands-on solution, we have expanded our Customer Success team who can help guide you to the right guides or put you in touch with a partner who can assist. If you need any help or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our team at support@actionstep.com Thanks again.

Ozzy
Director of IT in USA
Anwaltskanzlei, 51–200 Mitarbeiter

Actionstep Workflows

Kommentare: We were using a very archaic system with Time Matters. Since Actionstep is completely cloud base and accessed via a browser we were able to deploy it to all our remote locations without the need of installing and maintaining software. It was the best move we ever made.

Actionstep automates task and reporting. Having the ability to customize it via workflows is a huge advantage for us. We also use the document merge features very heavily.

The home screen dashboard can use some design updates with relevant information.

Antwort von Actionstep Software

Thank you Ozzy, great to hear you found the transition from Time Matters very positive. We love to hear users making the most of our customizable workflow as well. If you have any questions - please don't hesitate to contact our support team on support@actionstep.com or in our in-app chat.

Deborah

Great Product

I use this for my estate planning, probate, and elder law practice. The system has built in workflows, which I appreciate, and it grows with my firm. I like the client portal very much and the way I can track documents that I share with my clients and vice versa. Very easy to track my paralegal's work as well.

It does take time to learn and customize. Even with all that I use, I am not using it to its fullest capacity.

Fiona
Business Coordinator in Neuseeland

Actionstep Review December 2019

Kommentare: The overall efficiencies of the product are brilliant. Increasing productivity of fee earners and support staff.

That its online. That its simple (mostly) to use. That parts of it are customisable. The support.

The trust administration functionality isn't the best. Infinity was much better!!!

Antwort von Actionstep Software

Hi Fiona, Thank you for such a positive review, we are delighted you to hear it has helped increase your firms' productivity. Fantastic to hear you are customising Actionstep to fit your firm. If you if have any question please do not hesitate to email support@actionstep.com or use our in-app chat. Thanks

Catherine
Anwaltskanzlei, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

This software is extremely difficult to use. It pretty much requires programmers to manage.

Kommentare: None. It turned out to be too hard to use. When I wanted to move to a different software, I could not export any emails.

Nothing - I found it was more trouble than benefit. The software claims to manage emails, and it will manage them as long as you stay with that software. If you want to change to another software, you cannot retrieve your emails.

The description of using "work flows" sounds like a very good and useful idea. It is not. The company wants users to hire a "partner" company to set up the software or purchase pre-programmed workflows from third party vendors. "Partner" companies are extremely expensive, if they return your call at all. You pretty much have to hire a third party company to program the software just to use it. As far as I can tell, the workflows are so detailed that you will spend every minute typing data into the software system instead of doing legal work. When I got rid of the software, none of the thousands of emails flagged into the system could be exported into another system. It was very difficult to transition away from the program.

Antwort von Actionstep Software

Hi Catherine. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, and I'm very sorry you haven't had a great experience. In response to your points you raised: Actionstep allows you to export all of your data at any time, including e-mails. You can read more about this on our user guide. Data is exported in a standard format, but unfortunately it is beyond our control as to whether or not this information can be imported into another system. Actionstep is a highly customizable system and we do understand that this means it can take quite a bit of time to get up and running. However, the time you spend up-front tailoring the workflow to your needs will pay back over and over again in the efficiencies you will gain. We do understand that not everyone has the time to learn a new system and that is why we have a network of trained consultants that can assist. We will be in touch to discuss this further and see what we can do to help. Thanks again for the feedback.

Dominic
Principal and Director in Australien

Unethical Price Increase

Kommentare: Satisfactory until recently. Support has been pretty poor at times.

It works, although aspects of the accounting side are a little clunky and some of the field names (for example in contacts) are inappropriate.

When I signed up to Actionstep it was about AUD $80 per user per month. The price steadily increased over the next 5 years. Currently it is about AUD $135 per user. Then suddenly I am told that the minimum monthly charge will be $469, which is for up to 3 users - there is no option for just 1 user. Yet the website still advertises the pricing as being "per user", which is clearly misleading. I have tried to speak to someone at Actionstep about this situation but have been ignored. Clearly they are no longer interested in sole practitioners. I regard a price increase of over 300% on 6 weeks notice to be very poor business practice, as is their failure to note that their minimum package is for 3 users in the pricing part of their website. I now have to find another provider of a similar service which is time consuming and disruptive.

Tammy
Paralegal in USA

Great for law office

It was easy to integrate and allows all team members to access all information from anywhere with an internet connection. Including file notes, emails and documents as well as time records. You can set tasks and monitor the step a matter is on with ease.

Integration with Outlook is good but not able to upload documents or attach documents if using Office 365

Antwort von Actionstep Software

Hi Tammy, Thank you for such a positive review. Great to hear you are using our add-in for Office 365. To you comment on being able to upload & attach documents - this is now a supported feature. We are continuing to improve the add-in but if you do have specific requests or suggestions, please do not hesitate to email support@actionstep.com so our product team can assess them in light of upcoming development. Thanks

Bob
Managing Director in USA
Verwendete die Software für: Nicht angeboten

Cloud legal practice management with the functionality of premise-based applications

Kommentare: The breadth and depth of Actionstep's features are quite impressive for a cloud-based SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) product. Its functionality can compete with the best of the premise-based practice management programs, and it has the "any time, anywhere" advantages of a cloud-based system. It offers unlimited custom case fields by practice type, so you can automatically have a statute of limitations field in a PI case and an Estate Plan Type in an Estate Planning matter. All fields can be used to merge documents and emails(!) using Actionstep's internal merge function or HotDocs. Your standard tasks and document/email merges can be created automatically as the case proceeds from one step to the next, so that when a bankruptcy case is filed a letter to the client with the 341 meeting date, time, and place is created automatically. Views can show filtered lists of cases, tasks, or appointments that need your attention. Any of these lists (think PI cases that have outstanding medical records requests, overdue high-priority tasks, or all court dates in the next 30 days) can be emailed to you automatically each day so you can prepare for your day if you schedule the email in the morning, or the next day if you schedule the email at night, without having to log into Actionstep. Because Actionstep has such a wide range of features, it can be challenging to configure it for your practice and to learn how to use it, but that's true whenever you compare a program with more functions (think Word) to one with fewer functions (think Notepad). If you don't need the additional functionality, stick with the simplest solution that meets your needs. But if you do need the additional functionality (case management, document/email management, billing, and accounting), then you may want to consider hiring a consultant to guide you through the implementation. (Do you prepare your own tax return or do you hire an accountant?) Full disclosure: We are an Actionstep Certified Consultant/Partner. There's nothing else on the market that has Actionstep's range of functionality in a cloud-based practice management system that can be configured for the specific needs of different practice areas, and tailored to an individual firm's practices and procedures. If you're looking for a complete end-to-end practice management solution, especially if you don't want the cost and potential headaches of a local area network, you should take a look at Actionstep.

Lachlan
Solicitor (Registered Foreign Lawyer, Germany) in Deutschland

Actionstep review

Kommentare: We have been able to automate our invoicing which has allowed more time to be spent on other matters. We now have greater oversight as to how much time is spent is certain matter.

Ease of use, ability to automate a number of tasks, oversight of office time.

Inability to convert $ format to € format, for example $4,000.85 needs to be manually converted to 4.000,85€ and 1.5 hours manually converted to 1,5 hours. Inability to customise the automatic email that is sent to client portal users to grant them access. Inability to select size and font of text that will automatically be generated when copying text from Actionstep system to a word document. Sections of the system still refer to GST when using a different tax. Inability to change a matter type once a matter has been created, instead a completely new matter with a different matter type needs to be created.

Alison
Partner in Australien
Rechtsberatung, Selbstständig

Huge increase fees this year - Other than that, a great product

Kommentare: Was such a standout performer for a small firm. Loved all the functionality but the recent increase in costs is disappointing. I recommended this product to other firms and spoke so highly of this software. Their target customer/client may have changed.

Very user friendly and suited my firm perfectly. The time recording and accounting were great to use. There were always improvements, most didn't relate to my firm's needs but so good to see. Loved the product.

The recent increase in fees. It appears that this will not be viable to small firms. An increase in fees is always expected by not by 300-400% in the one year. Customer service has gone downhill with its growth which appears common in software companies.

Jennifer
Bookkeeper/Financial Reporting in USA
Anwaltskanzlei, 11–50 Mitarbeiter

Turnkey solution for legal practice management

ActionStep runs a variety of reports and queries from our data tables very quickly, and we can customize views and reports as needed. The financial software and G/L is included, which is rather rare. Trust accounting is treated as it should be with separate reporting and functions. Their development of the APIs to connect to Microsoft and Outlook has given us a lot more efficiency in workflows. The support staff is very responsive and will try to thoroughly understand and address the issues for us.

Some of the accounting functions need some work to run smoothly and to be more intuitive. Also the Outlook add-in and Microsoft Plug In are nice to have but the average user cannot properly install them and maintain them it seems on their own, there are too many steps to the install and updates.

Antwort von Actionstep Software

Hi Jennifer, Thank you for such a positive review. Great to hear your firm is embracing the all-in-one functions of Actionstep. Additionally, glad to hear your experience with our support staff has been excellent. Thanks

Christopher
Rechtsberatung, Selbstständig

Do not use Actionstpe if you are a smll firm and looking to focus on conveyancing.

Kommentare: I’m sure this software would be beneficial for a large (100 people +) firm who wants a customisable program. However, if you are a small operated and do not have unlimited resosres, you may want to steer clear of this software. I wish I did.

The fact that it is 100% web and cloud based.

The lack of cohesion between :- 1. Actionstep (ie the software provider), -2. the separate company which implements the installation and maintenance; and - 3. The 3rd party add on providers (ie the conveyancing add on is done by a company called Konekta) is problematic and horrendous to navigate. This software is full of issues and there is no accountability by anyone. When issues arise, my experience was that each of the 3 before mentioned parties blame each other and then come up with excuses. There are no workable precedents in my field (conveyancing – I also pay $49 for the add on). I found errors in the documents and some documents are out of date (by a number of years - and versions). Very embarrassing and potentially dangerous.

Antwort von Actionstep Software

Hi Christopher, Thank you for your feedback. It is a shame to hear that your implementation didn't allow you to get the most from Actionstep. We are working with your implementation partner & the 3rd party provider you mentioned to ensure this does not happen again. I have requested our Customer Success team to reach out & assist you in any way possible. Should you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact our team at support@actionstep.com Thanks Matt

Richard
Anwaltskanzlei, Selbstständig

Feature Packed but missing a few key components

Kommentare: Working with Actionstep has been great, but I am in the process of switching to another application due to the availability of integrations I am looking for. I would have no hesitation going back to Actionstep in the future.

This is by far the best of the mainstream programs for document assembly. The tasked based orientation of the program is great once set up. Support has always been helpful and knowledgeable. Very easy to customize. Strong reporting.

While having a strong feature set, I feel the software is missing a few key integrations. The software really needs to integrate with LawPay, OneDrive and Quickbooks(I believe these were all under development, but not available when I last checked).

Antwort von Actionstep Software

Richard, thanks for the positive comments. Great to hear you are embracing the customisation options available within Actionstep. Just by way of update: We now integrate with the applications you mentioned. LawPay, Quickbooks and now have one of the most comprehensive Outlook 365 integrations avaiable.

Spencer
Rechtsberatung, 11–50 Mitarbeiter

We regret using Actionstep

Kommentare: We started using Actionstep in 2019 but we quickly realised that it was not suitable for small law firms. The only real attraction for using Actionstep was it used to be cheap but that is no longer the case. We moved software in late 2021 but left a single licence to access historical records. The cost for customisation is expensive through third parties, it has terrible integration regarding document storage, and we were not satisfied with its functionality regarding trust. It was an inferior product and it took less than two years to make the jump to something better. The cost of licences has increased from the cheapest software on the market to one of the most expensive with the necessary integration to make it almost useable. I can't see what type of law firm they could be targeting. It seems entirely unsuitable for any level of law firm. Although we would have been forced to something better with our growth, the only one benefit they had was low cost, and whilst that might still seem partly true, the functionality requires costly integration and it ends up more expensive. I would not recommend this product, and regret the hassle of using it temporarily and having to change to a different provider.

It used to be cheap, but that is no longer really the case.

Terrible/the worst document management. Limited trust accounting capabilities. Increasing cost. Cost of integration and customisation. Customer service issues.

Pamela
Investigator Specialist in USA
Staatsverwaltung, 51–200 Mitarbeiter

Using Actionstep

Kommentare: Overall, I enjoy using action step. I cannot recall any problems with this software.

I like the idea that client information is easily accessible. I am able to determine the status of a case at moments glance. I can plug in all my tasks and assign due dates to keep me organized.

Not being able to update or correct information in the client profile, such as adding, title, Mr./Ms. This site only allows for address changes, or adding emails.

Antwort von Actionstep Software

Hi Pamela, Thank you for such a positive review, great to hear how Actionstep is helping you. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email support@actionstep.com. Thanks

narissa
Office Manager in USA

Easy to learn Case Management System

Actionstep makes it so easy to manage our hundreds of cases, by use of customizable overviews and matter data.

Sometimes our emails do not come through to the inbox in actionstep- mostly internal emails and sometimes emails from outside parties go straight to the case.

Antwort von Actionstep Software

Narissa - thank you for your review. It is great to hear how Actionstep helps you manage such a huge caseload! I will raise your note about emails with the team here. If you have any other questions about the system, please do contact our support team (support@actionstep.com) and they will be happy to investigate.

Tyler

Wonky Interface, Bad Support

The idea of structuring your workflows through processes was attractive, but the software fails to deliver a on this in a streamlined experience, resulting in overwhelm.

Wonky, outdated interface; poor email integration, and terrible customer support. Clio and Zola Suite both really outshine ActionStep by a mile.

Antwort von Actionstep Software

Hi Tyler, Thank you for your response. Since the time of your review, we have released a comprehensive upgrade of our email platform & have overhauled our support structure. And in regards to your feedback on our Workflows, our customer success team would certainly be able to help you get the most of your system. Please contact them through customersucess@actionstep.com

Rebecca

Excellent Case management software

We are able to easily manage large volumes of cases and keep and associate multiple documents and document types with each file. Searching and saving is easy. It also integrates well into email, Word, and other platforms to create a seamless system.

It is too easy to save a document to the wrong matter number. When reading portal chats, it scrolls to the bottom automatically while I am reading messages further up the chain, and I have to keep scrolling back up.

Antwort von Actionstep Software

Hi Rebecca, Thank you for such a positive review. Wonderful to hear your firm is seeing the benefits of automation & utilising our integrations with software like Microsoft Outlook. If you do have specific requests or suggestions, please do not hesitate to email support@actionstep.com so our product team can assess them in light of upcoming development. Thanks

Rechtsberatung, 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Great product - few problems!

Kommentare: Overall AS has worked very well for our organization and the customer support team are awesome.

Easy to use and manage client and matter information and link applicable parties.

Two users can be in the same document at the same time (without any notice) resulting in work being lost when one user saves over the other. Interface isn't seamless between Powerpoint & Adobe.

Antwort von Actionstep Software

Thanks for your positive comments. A quick tip on document editing: you can use our "check-out" feature to check out a document for editing and then check it back in when done. That will indicate to other users that you are working on the document. Hope that helps