Contentful is an agile 'CMS' and overall easy to work with

Bewertet am 13.6.2019
Benjamin M.
Web Developer and Designer
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I can create a small site without bothering with a traditional CMS and allow the client to access important text copy and the same content could be repurposed for another platform, which is good to know for the future.

Vorteile: I should clarify that I am speaking from the perspective of a developer so I can't vouch for the experiences of a content contributor. As a developer, I really appreciate being pointed in the right direction with their Gatsby starter kit and Netlify. This has been a great intro into the trend of static react based sites and I love it so far. I will try to stay focused on Contentful though. As someone very familiar with the traditional LAMP stack CMS world, I appreciate that they try to keep CMS best practices and dispense with the countless technical issues plaguing the old school approach. I have only used it for a small site though, but I am psyched to try it out with a larger project to really use it to its best potential.

Nachteile: I was going to say that it is totally painless, but there are some adaptation pains involved. If, like me, you just jump right in with a Gatsby Starter Kit, you may do some newbie things here and there. But I never really got stuck or blocked, and always learned when going back to improve something. Like I said, I haven't dug deep enough to have had a real issue. The worst negative could be that there are some cross sale situations where you may feel obliged to purchase a plugin to work with your content. I don't know if I can really fault a business on this though. Depending on your dev skills, you can always figure out a way to get your Contentful content to work without necessarily buying a shortcut from a third party.

The best option for a headless CMS

Bewertet am 3.4.2018
John M.
Technical Architect
Design, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: It is truly cloud-first for a headless approach. You can build your content model and control your input with easy validation (min/max/regex) and even dependencies on other models. It is truly headless and integration with node, react, asp.net, and php have all been relatively easy. Node was definitely the easiest integration.

Nachteile: I would have said migration between environments, but they recently released a solution for that. I haven't verified it but I'm excited about it. I think the other thing is dealing with deleted fields, it makes it a bit challenging that you have to remove it from view and then delete it to make sure it won't break the existing model. I also get frustrated when I make an existing field that is required and there is no notification that the content doesn't match the new criteria.

Taken a load off our team

Bewertet am 30.9.2019
Ash M.
Product Manager
Museen & Institutionen, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We switched to Contentful as a way of consolidating our CMS from three to one. Development is currently ongoing, but I am over the moon with how effective it has been for us to work with Contentful. We're planning a significant relaunch of our product later this year with all curated experiences powered by Contentful.

Vorteile: The ability to flexibly model content according to what our output needs are, rather than being constrained by a pre-defined model. The ease of adding translations. The customer service we have received.

Nachteile: Only that the way that the pages are represented could be a little more visual when relating elements together. But it's a very minor thing.

CMS Contender

Bewertet am 17.8.2019
Nick W.
Email Marketing Specialist

Kommentare: Compared to other CMS platforms out there, this one isn't a bad option to have.

Vorteile: If properly set up, it's easy to find and navigate sections and areas of your site you'd like to edit.

Nachteile: You can get lost if you don't know what you're doing.

Contentful is useful and wonderful

Bewertet am 12.12.2018
Brandon Z.
Java Software Developer
Übersetzung und Lokalisierung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I'd like to recommand contentful as it is easy to use, and easy to config store data for develop a project.

Vorteile: stable, friendly configuration, data structure is clear, and have api auto configuration

Nachteile: navigation is a little bit tricky, like when duplicate an entity, it lost the original entity's position, so have to go back and track the entity again

CMS solution that lets you publish content simply and easily

Bewertet am 9.8.2018
Courtney H.
Content Producer
Versicherung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Contentful is a content management system solution which has a great API focus and allows us to develop our own data relationships and data structure. It provides us complete flexibility within projects and gives us the capacity to distribute to different types of platforms with less hassle. The user interface is straightforward and really simplifies the process for our backend system.

Nachteile: When used in Firefox browser, there are some occasional glitches. However, it works perfectly well in Chrome and Safari, so it’s not really a big problem. When I contacted support, they reviewed and tested it but they said it might just be a plugin issue.

So long, WordPress! Welcome to the future of nimble web development!

Bewertet am 18.9.2018
Andrew F.
Lead Designer
Design, Selbstständig

Kommentare: The free developer plan is amazing, and overall Contentful has made my life SO MUCH BETTER. I no longer have to worry about updates, databases, or clients breaking their sites.

Vorteile: The UI of Contentful is superb in its own right, but especially when compared to other similar CMS interfaces. Everything is laid out neatly, and it's easy to sort and edit your content. When paired with a static site generator like Gatsby, Contentful is WAY more safe, dependable, and low-maintenance than WordPress (which I'm sad to say, after being a WP dev for years, is a complete mess).

Nachteile: Modeling content can be tricky at first, especially since you can't have differing fields within a content type. But once you understand the general concept of "referencing," it becomes quite easy and even enjoyable to structure nested and/or complex data.

All about Contentful

Bewertet am 9.2.2019
Mohamd E.
Mohamed
Design, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I like to recommend you to use Contentful, because it is user friendly, and more professional in developing your projects.

Vorteile: The user interface of Contentful is great in comparison to the other sites.
The user interface is easy to use.
It is very easy to locate content.
Best API capabilities.

Nachteile: I'm really satisfied with Contentful, but the interface can be improved to the best.

Great for developers, great for non-developers

Bewertet am 14.2.2018
Jj F.
Creative Designer
Design, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I love the ability to completely customize the content types so that the editors are only able to edit exactly what you allow them to.

Nachteile: I would love more customizable paid plans. Since I use JAMStack static site generation I don't need a ton of API calls per month, however I would love to add users, locales and per-user permissions.

Takes some time to get working with it

Bewertet am 24.2.2019
Head of Strategy & Strategic Planning
Internet, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We use Contentful to manage content on more than 10 websites in multiple languages.

Vorteile: The layout is clean. It helps us managing content in many different languages in one place.

Nachteile: It took me quite some time to figure out how Contentful works with all kind of layers in translations, products, pages and attributes. Sometimes you lose track of where you are in all those layers. Another thing is that it sometimes takes a long time for updates to go through the publishing queue. Especially when more people are working on it at the same time.

Good for scalability, advanced validation would be a great next feature.

Bewertet am 16.10.2019
Andy B.
Chief Technology Officer

Kommentare: Easily got content libraries up and running, good API for pulling content into other platforms. Customisation doesn't feel the easiest and advanced validation would be good to be built in. We have been able to scale as we add additional partners easily.

Vorteile: Easy API Integration, good search and filter with customisable columns, comments from other users, different content models rollback and version ability.

Nachteile: Custom Validation didn't allow us to cross compare fields, different user levels is only available on higher plans.

I've used Contentful to develop the project of a corporate website.

Bewertet am 4.7.2018
Directeur

Kommentare: A fast, rich and 100% reliable development experience.

Vorteile: Contentful offers number of useful features and it's incredibly smart and simple to use.
I also appreciated the great discussion I had with one of Contentful main programmer on Github : it helped me to go way beyond my expectations for a CMS.

Nachteile: There could be one more step in pricing for small projects like the one I often deal with. I can't really find any reproach.

Make new pages for your custom front end, without being a developer

Bewertet am 29.7.2019
Ben B.
Non-Profit-Organisation Management, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Content makes me feel like a web developer without knowing how to code.

Vorteile: First, let me say I am not a web developer. With that said, Contentful makes me feel like one, as it allows me to create new pages for my company website easily, without infringing our standardized UI and UX. The biggest benefit of Contentful for my team is that it has allowed our web developer to focus on larger initiatives, while handing the power to create high-quality, visually-appealing web pages. He created the parameters, effects, buttons, etc inside Contentful, and now it's a sandbox my team can use to create new pages without bugging him. This saves a tremendous amount of time, and multiplies our effectiveness as a team. If we need a new landing page for an event, we can do that all on our own.

Nachteile: The only negative I can think about with Contentful is the learning curve for the team. Because it is a sandbox type environment, it may take a few meetings for everyone to get on the same page with what can and cannot be done. That said, it makes our lives so much easier now that we have it.

Contentful is so easy to use and integrate. I had my website up and running in no time!

Bewertet am 13.6.2018
Ketan M.
Design Consultant

Vorteile: The ease of use and functionality, paired with a great user interface. The fact you can create your own data structure and data relationships is so useful and enables complete flexibility within projects.

Nachteile: That it hasn't got anything that really annoys me :-) But, it could do with a better dashboard or something rather than the current "Space home" page.

The perfect solution if you're looking for a flexibel CMS for your projects

Bewertet am 21.7.2015
Job W.
Technical Lead

Kommentare: We choose Contentful for our project after comparing many other CMS solutions , whom all seemed to make the process more complicated rather than easier. Contentful on the other hand is a very flexible, straightforward and easy to implement backend system. It serves your data back in JSON which makes it perfect to connect any kind of frontend, without being limited by any predifined layout or formatting.
The CMS interface itself is also very easy to manage. You define your content-types, lay them out exactly how you want them, and, in our case, let the client do the rest.
All in all a perfect solution if you're looking for a flexibel and easy to use CMS system, and even more so when working with multiple platforms.

Content providing for the 21st century

Bewertet am 18.9.2019
Walter o. A.
Senior Chief IO

Kommentare: DAU proof of servicing content; GraphQL -> Gatsby & Contentful: just great to work with, maintenance a breeze; quick prototyping; webhooks!

Vorteile: Ease of use; interconnectibility -> Netlify, Gatsby, GraphQL, etc.

Nachteile: Please re-think monetization for spaces. For small companies....

Easy to use and fills all our needs

Bewertet am 12.4.2019
Email Marketing Specialist

Vorteile: Once you get the building blocks and templates in place then anyone can make a landing page.

Nachteile: I don't have any complaints, they have met all our needs.

Great as a mobile backend for our apps.

Bewertet am 25.3.2015
Christian S.

Kommentare: Pro:
+ great API capabilities
+ cool features for mobile network constrained app experience
+ fast
Con:
- Editor could be prettier
- App has sometimes glitches in Firefox (Chrome and Safari work fine)

von Contentful an 26.3.2015

The web app/UI is currently undergoing a big revision, so stay tuned for a great UX and task completion oriented edior.

We will review the Firefox issues. Though our testing so far has shown nothing. MIght also be a plugin issue.

Content with Contentful

Bewertet am 17.2.2019
Project Coordinator
Konsumgüter, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall my experience has been good. Once I got a rough tutorial I had a pretty good handle of how to use it. There are still aspects I don't know how to use, but of what I do know its pretty fun website creator

Vorteile: I like how easy and quick it is to use. There are some things that are bit difficult, but for the most part its very simple and a great way to run a website.

Nachteile: There are aspects that are difficult, and sometimes hard to keep tabs on what is active and hard to back track if something does go wrong

Satisfied

Bewertet am 27.8.2019
Sofia S.
Sustainability trainee
Umweltdienstleistungen, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: The software is intuitive and easy to use, even for a beginner like me.

Nachteile: I really don't have anything bad to say.

Great productivity product

Bewertet am 21.8.2018
Karan S.
Software Developer

Kommentare: We've been using this product for a couple of projects now - glad to mention we're a happy customer :)
Recommend this to everyone who wants to create a flexible CMS powered web application.

Vorteile: - Flexibility
- Easy to use
- Easy to locate content - wide variety of filters and search
- Previews and webhooks are ++

Nachteile: - The product is a bit slow to use
- Content State management could be improved - meaning when I delete a linked content, it sometimes leads to unexpected issues

Technically rich, very solid headless CMS.

Bewertet am 18.5.2018
Luke J.
Co-founder
Bürgerliche & soziale Einrichtungen

Kommentare: Helping us build a new platform

Vorteile: I found Contentful to have strong technical quality, it was easy to get started, and had a pretty quick learning curve. We're going to be integrating it in several upcoming projects.

Nachteile: It is much better for new projects than for legacy ones, as importing prior content is very painful - there is some tooling for it, but it can still be pretty complex.

Good Value

Bewertet am 20.11.2018
Associate Development Director
Pharmazeutika, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: It has a good balance of cost and features. Their API is feature rich allowing us to extend Contentful and tightly integrate it with our systems.

Nachteile: There is no true support for branching and merging of content. The 'sandbox' environment is helpful, but we have had to build our own custom scripts and processes to simulate branch and merge.

Bewertet am 8.3.2017