Use Carbonite if you don't want to risk losing your data on your computer

Bewertet am 17.9.2018
Project Engineer
Bau, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I have used Carbonite in the past when I was running a company with 10 employees. One of my worst fears in the world would be having a computer corrupt or damaged and not able to access the files. It is better to be prepared than kick yourself later for not doing it. It was easy to set up carbonite on all of the computer and synced the backup on changes that were made within the computer. You select what folders that carbonite will consistently backup, such as my documents or customer invoices folder etc. The plan did not have any data limits on the amount of data you can backup. Carbonite really saved us when one of the disgruntled employees was trying to maliciously delete important documents and negatively hurt the company. It was about as simple as can be to retrieve the documents that were deleted and so nothing bad happened in result of this individuals actions. I never noticed any computer performance when running this software on a computer. I was surprised because I thought it would affect the computer in a negative way. I would recommend Carbonite for anybody dealing with important documents on a computer that cannot lose the information.

Nachteile: The least of what I liked about this is probably pricing. I feel like it should be a little lower for a backup system. There are quite a few plans to choose from but think the pricing for all of them should be a little lower. Other than that everything is perfect!

Great Backup software - expensive

Bewertet am 9.10.2018
Gregory W.
DBA
Staatsverwaltung, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I hav ebeen using Carbonite for about 5 years.

Vorteile: Carbonite was one of the first cloud backup services available. For an annual fee (which can be renewed for up to three years at a time), you can have all your files uploaded to a secure server. All files are encrypted and stored safely until you need them again. Carbonite constantly checks your system for new files and updates the backup as needed. Carbonite also has an option to back up your entire system--not just document files. The best selling point is that your files are encrypted before they leave your system.

Nachteile: Carbonite is a bit on the expensive side, when you consider that there are less expensive options available for simple (unencrypted) cloud services. Also, restoring a backup from Carbonite can take many days because of the encryption/decryption process. Unless you absolutely need a system backup, use another service for cloud storage.

Dependable service

Bewertet am 19.9.2018
Finance Officer
Religiöse Einrichtungen, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Have not had to use at work because no problems. However, several years ago at home I did lose my files and it was easy to access and download what I anted. I truly wish they had not increased their annual fee but I am using a freebie. I don't have the money at home to have Sea Gate to backup everything but we do have at work along with Carbonite. However, when the contract expires we will be leaving Carbonite because they charge too much.

Vorteile: Carbonite works behind the scenes and I have used here at work and at home. You can be confident your files are available if they are lost on your computer

Nachteile: The increase in the yearly fee. There are other systems that do similar saving like in cloud that are free. You would still need something like Sea Gate to back up the external and that would cost more in Carbonite but it would make more sense paying for. However, Sea Gate is a one time purchase.

Peace of Mind

Bewertet am 5.12.2016
Kim T.

Kommentare: We have used Carbonite for at least 10 years. It has saved us more than once in the case of hard drive failures. It is easy to configure. They now offer multiple plans and help you decide which one will best serve our needs. I gave the features and functionality 4 stars because it occasionally does not connect to their server and it waits 7 days to tell you it hasn't backed up a particular computer. We now are in the habit of checking for backup daily.
Compared to other backup methods we have used in the past such as tape drives or rewritable cd's or cassettes, this is far superior. I used to worry about having our data in the cloud, but times are changing, and they have some tough encryption.

Vorteile: Ease of use.
Tough encryption.
Competent support staff, real people to talk to.

Nachteile: The 7-day delay in notification of failure to back-up.

Reliable

Bewertet am 10.10.2018
Heather W.
Paralegal
Rechtsberatung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall this is a great product for adding another method of backup to your files for a good price.

Vorteile: I like that this software is very reliable. It is working in the background constantly updating all new files. Not only that, but it doesn't slow down the computer while doing it which is a huge plus in my book. I've had many other software programs slow my computer down and I end up ditching them. If we accidentally delete a file, we can go into Carbonite and recover it.

Nachteile: A couple downsides to this is that if you do happen to lose your information, it takes a long time to download all of the files back onto your computer. Another downside is that Cabonite does not backup any files that have the symbol ~ in the name. I use this often to put certain commonly used files up at the top of list for quick access.

Carbonite has saved me a couple of times

Bewertet am 24.12.2018
Buchhaltung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I needed the ability to back up my laptop to a remote location. I've used Carbonite for probably 10 years. I had two instances where hard drives went bad during my busy season. Thankfully we were using Carbonite on each computer. I was able to get up and running within a day and ever since then, I've used Carbonite. It's a lifesaver and gives me piece of mind knowing that my files are safely backed up.

Vorteile: It's easy to set up and operates behind the scenes. You don't even know it's running and it backs up your files to the cloud. Super simple to set up and use.

Nachteile: I don't have any issues with this software. The prices is reasonable, the back up process is simple, and it's a great piece of mind software.

Set it and forget it while having peace of mind

Bewertet am 25.9.2018
Jessica F.
Buchhaltung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I've had them for over 10 years in my personal computer and I've been very happy. I didn't care for the business version so chose not to use it for my business as there are other products that offer a better value.

Vorteile: Once you configure your initial backup, Carbonite will take care of everything for you on auto pilot. New files and changed files will automatically be backed up without you having to remember to. Restoring files after a catastrophic hard drive failure took a while due to the size of the backup but worked well.

Nachteile: Price has been increasing steadily over the years without adding value, other providers are now more competitive price wise.

Good backup software for personal or home use

Bewertet am 14.7.2017
Sharon M.

Kommentare: Peace of mind knowing my files are backed up.

Vorteile: - You can back up an unlimited amount of photos, music, and files.
- You can easily see what files are included in the backup, and easily add more files.
- Backup is continuous, you don't have to check it or worry about it.
- Overall a good backup solution. I have not had any problems or errors.

Nachteile: - It takes forever to retrieve your files. I am restoring files from my old computer to my new one. It has been going for about three WEEKS and it is now at 83%. However, if I needed one particular file right away, I could search for and download that one sooner.

Carbonite has been there for me through a few system crashes - had my date backed up and ready to go

Bewertet am 26.7.2018
Ken B.
Marketing Director

Kommentare: Great backup of my work - only downside was slow in getting them loaded back.

Vorteile: Carbonite was my safety net when my system crashed. I have created a LOT of marketing material over time and it is imperative to have a backup system. I was able to find the files I needed and load them back. Their phone line customer service was also top-notch the one time I called. They were professional and helpful and had me up and running quickly.

Nachteile: The main detriment is that if you have a lot of large files it will take you a long time even with fast upload speed to get your files loaded back.

Sleep well knowing your data is protected!

Bewertet am 18.4.2018
Don B.
System Integration Mgr - CAS & Bus Partner
Luft- & Raumfahrt

Kommentare: it provide the peace of mind knowing that your data is always backed up. It does this on a daily basis, so you have the most up to date image of current data.

Vorteile: One of the best features of this software is the ease of use. Upon setup, it walks you through the entire process. Doesn't get any easier than that. I've used this software for several years and during that time had on two occasions lost a hard drive and all the data on it. Thankfully Carbonite was there to restore.

Nachteile: I've used Carbonite for several years and honestly don't have any negatives for this program. It just works!

automatic cloud backup

Bewertet am 25.5.2018
Erik P.
Director of Technology

Kommentare: Peace of mind.

Vorteile: Been using it at home for years. Very reasonably priced. I love that it can run automatically during the specified hours so I don't have to worry about it using bandwidth. Files are then available to other devices.

Nachteile: Video files are not automatic. You have to specify to back up each one, or a bunch at a time, but it's not as automatic as other file types. So, every once in a while, I search file type: video, select all, and make sure they're all being backed up. Interface for getting files from the cloud is a little slow and clunky.

Reliable Software that provides piece of mind

Bewertet am 19.1.2018
Dustin D.
Information Technology Administrator
Forschung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I really liked it until they implemented the HUGE price increase. Perhaps it was a problem with just that one employee but they definitely need to get better at communicating changes to their customers. I'll be switching to a more cost effective product once our subscription is up.

Vorteile: Ease of install - It is extremely easy to deploy Carbonite. I have installed it on our Windows 10 workstations as well as our server VMs running Windows Server 2012. Each time the process is quick and simple. I also like the custom updates it provides on backup status. It also lets you customize backup policies for each individual device to optimize utilization.

Nachteile: They wanted to increase our yearly cost by more than 50% with minimal account upgrades. Our account was set to renew automatically at this increased price with no warning. An account rep reached out to me a 6-8 weeks ahead of our renewal date but wouldn't respond until we were about 2 weeks out. At that time he informed me our price was going up. The strange thing was that under billing it still showed the price we had been paying for the past six years, and showed we would be charged the same amount again on our renewal date. If he hadn't mentioned it on the call they would have charged us the new price without informing us until we received the receipt. I really did not like that their system was showing one price but they planned to spring another on us.

Carbonite - Review

Bewertet am 6.11.2019
Santosh B.
Database Administrator
Rechtsberatung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: - it is a good overall experience with Carbonite application.

Vorteile: - This is an application which helps us to keep a backup of all our servers daily
- This application is very easy to setup and access.
- This application is very efficient is storing and retrieving data files without any issues.

Nachteile: - the pricing can be more affordable in pricing
- this application can have more features to handle more use cases.
- this application can be more optimized on UI

Carbonite

Bewertet am 14.12.2018
Greg H.
IT Specialist
Chemikalien, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: It has been a life savor for me. Our owner had lost his laptop and I was able to fully recover his data to restore on new laptop. He was extremely great full that we had this software installed.

Vorteile: Users love being able to login on phone/pad and view files that have been synced from their workstation/laptop. Also, gives them security that their files are backed up if something went wrong with their workstation/laptop.

Nachteile: Not really con but depending on amount of data, syncing it up and recovery can take sometime to complete.

Great product for all kinds of backups

Bewertet am 24.10.2019
Independent Network Engineer
Informationstechnologie & -dienste, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Overall it continues to be a great experience. Support has been great. its saved my clients bacon a number of times when it comes to local restores. highly recommend

Vorteile: Ease of setup, ease of use. backup types and styles, and the ability to customize. Solid interface. Customer service and support.

Nachteile: When they updated to version 6, they changed the software interface quiet a bit, it feels restricted in terms of the ability to administer tasks. I much prefer that older classic look and feel for those of us who know their way about backup software. Price point is a little high, especially for small offices who only have 2-3 servers vs bigger clients who could have 6-10 or more.

Carbonite User

Bewertet am 20.11.2018
Lance C.
National Sales Manager
Computer-Hardware, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: We use Carbonite on all of our laptops in our office. We do not have a central server and so everyone has company information stored on their laptops. You select which folders, files or drives you want backed up. It will back them up and you really don't need to do anything. I had to restore a few files and it was a snap.

Nachteile: Sometimes it goes offline and I need to reboot my laptop to get it recognize my mac. Once I do that it is all good to go.

Used to be great but functionality has been reduced

Bewertet am 4.1.2018
Alex K.
Managing Director

Vorteile: It's quite easy to install and set up and you can leave it just to do it's thing. Plenty of storage space. Mobile app is also usefully for accessing files.

Nachteile: It's now expensive compared with competitors. Functionality has also been reduced over time which means that some things are no longer available or you have to buy a more expensive package. Basic licence only covers one computer and it's quite expensive to add more computers. Poor renewal deals for loyal customers.

Carbonite provides the peace of mind you need for your files

Bewertet am 5.3.2019
Spencer J.
Director of Researcfh
Staatsverwaltung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I like the peace of mind that Carbonite provides, knowing that my files are constantly being backed up. I don't have to worry about losing one file should something go wrong at my workplace.

Nachteile: Sometimes Carbonite loses its connection to the internet and sends a message that you have not backed up in X number of days/weeks. I have to reboot the server and this usually fixes the problem, but it can be annoying to have to do that.

Excellent way to back up my personal files, pictures, videos.

Bewertet am 18.1.2018
Pete D.

Vorteile: It is extremely easy to set up. My media folders are already set to back up each night so as I add files to these folders I know they are being stored in the cloud for me.

Nachteile: From what I can tell there is no easy way to get your files back if your computer crashes. When I say easy I mean fast way to get them. The upload times to back up your files are long, so I can imagine if you are trying to restore a backup it would take days.

Love that Backup, Hate the Slowdown

Bewertet am 6.12.2018
Executive Producer
Unterhaltung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Carbonite has saved my butt a few times when I've lost files. You used to be able to also see files on your iPhone but that feature was discontinued. I do like that you can choose what specifically to back up.

Nachteile: It slows down my computer A LOT. I've talked with tech support and they've tried to help but no matter what, it's slow. I set Carbonite to only run while in the middle of the night and that helps.

An essential product for anyone with critical information stored on their computer

Bewertet am 2.7.2018
Brad W.
Construction Division Foreman

Vorteile: Very easy to use. We first started using Carbonite about 7 years ago when we lost our entire hard drive to a virus. Unfortunately, we hadn't signed up for the service prior but we quickly learned our lesson and have used since.

Nachteile: I've never been a fan of monthly subscriptions. I would rather buy the product and purchase additional storage if needed. Other than that it is a great product.

Best cloud backup

Bewertet am 5.2.2019
Kindergarten Teacher

Vorteile: I love Carbonite for backing up my files on my computer. The thing I love best about it is that I literally don't have to do anything. My files are backed up every day on their own. The files are also accessible from any computer if you sign into your account.

Nachteile: Only drawback I would say is that sometimes it takes a little while for the files to download onto the cloud.

Easy as it can get!!

Bewertet am 11.2.2018
Deborah H.
Marketing Manager

Kommentare: I just like the feeling of my information being protected.

Vorteile: What's not to like. Download, simple set up and you're protected. It's really that way. What a great feel to know that your information is being constantly protected. It doesn't slow your system down either.

Nachteile: I would always like it to be free to users but I doubt that will happen. I'm sorry but I really can't think of any cons.

Peace of mind and ease of access

Bewertet am 23.10.2018
Becky T.
Director of Implementation
Architektur & Planung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I love how quickly I can access a file on my computer remotely from my phone - for example, I recently went on a trip and forgot the itinerary spreadsheet I had saved to my desktop at home. It only took a minute to retrieve it while waiting at baggage claim.

Nachteile: I have not had any issues with this software, except forgetting to unpause the backup sometimes.

Essential cloud backup solution!

Bewertet am 18.3.2018
Brian B.
Founder & President
Professionelles Training & Coaching, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Ability to restore files to a new computer.

Vorteile: Carbonite provided outstanding customer service when we needed to transfer files to a new computer. They walked us through the entire process and saved us hours of heartache!

Nachteile: The price point is fairly competitive with other cloud backup solutions and sometimes they offer discounts at time of renewal if a 5-year plan is chosen.