What a Learning Portal/LMS should be.

Bewertet am 3.4.2018
Assistant Vice President/Instructional Designer

Kommentare: I used LearnDash to set up a Learning Portal at my prior organization. it allowed me to deploy content to a large user base through the portal, while also allowing me to track our content being used in their xAPI compliant LMS systems and completions of content through our Help system.

Vorteile: Building a learning portal on WordPress is brilliant. The core features of LearnDash in creating courses is great. Good quiz engine and solid features for offering and tracking courses with clear progress indicators. But the true power of LearnDash is that it works with virtually any theme, and expands its utility with the WordPress ecosystem. Aside from solid partner plugins for coursegrids and gradebooks, there are additional tools that really give LearnDash some amazing content features like H5P and tools to embed and track content from leading eLearning tools like Articulate and Adobe. No end in sight.

Nachteile: The most challenging parts of LearnDash are managing WordPress and Plugins. The challenge of adding more and more features with plugins is the administrative maintenance it requires. Users just need to be very clear that unlike using a vendor LMS that you just upload content, they must be prepared to get "under the hood" to maintain the system. This is common with professional WordPress Administration, but learning professionals who just used an LMS may not be clear on the fact that this does require some web administration skills.

After months of testing Saas and WordPress LMS plugins, LearnDash came out on top.

Bewertet am 11.4.2018
Jesus P.
CEO/President

Kommentare: This software is helping us simplify and streamline our ability to deliver online training to students at an affordable cost.

Vorteile: We needed many features that were hard to find in SaaS based LMS solutions and WP plugins. Here's a list of features that pushed us towards LearnDash because it worked with our stack or is helping us upgrade it: 1. Integration with Zapier (allows communication with our Podio CRM hub)
2. Integration with any Shopping cart with One-Click Upsells. We will be migrating to SamCart after 6 years with Nanacast.
3. Ability to "Recycle" LMS content. (i.e. use one lecture in multiple classes)
4. Progress % for classes so students can see their progress.
5. Forum integration for class discussions. We chose BBPress and it works perfectly with it.
6. ActiveCampaign integration for email management.
LearnDash included all these features and they work. This was the *only* solution I found after months of testing WP plugins and Saas platforms that met our requirements. So far, setup has gone smooth and updates have not broken anything.

Nachteile: My biggest con is that this is a WP plugin and I'm hesitant to run mission critical software on WordPress. But since all the SaaS LMS' solutions were missing critical features, I decided to give this a shot. In order to gain some peace of mind and find a middle of sorts, I decided to go the extremely safe route with hosting and chose Kinsta since they use the Google Cloud and their pricing structure is reasonable. Plus, having a "staging area" is nice along with their daily backups, crazy speed and Nginx reverse proxy caching.

Very grateful to rep , who has delivered exceptional support, by far the best help desk service!

Bewertet am 13.2.2019
Rose R.
President, Instructional Designer
E-Learning, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Overall quality of finished workshops is superb, and students express enthusiasm. Originally my designer warned me, "This system is hard to learn, but you'll be pleased with the results. That's true. I do want to give a shout-out to the support team. Rep has given me exceptional tech support, and I can't imagine a more helpful, knowledgeable, kindly guide to the mysteries and complications of LearnDash.

Vorteile: The finished product. My workshops have exactly the components I wish: As many lessons per course as I wish, installing video and audio recordings, quizzes, and forums. Once I learned how to use the software, it leads to a superb product.

Nachteile: Over-designed! On the whole, from my perspective, LearnDash is difficult to learn; an upgrade has resulted in far too many choices. For example, used to be that I could easily upload a FILL IN THE BLANKS quiz. Learning the new method, with upgrade, was far more difficult. Each question takes about 6 extra steps, compared to one step previously. As an educator, I do find it offensive that it's supposed to be desirable to copy quiz parts and, apparently, crank out as many quizzes as possible. Why not make that a plug-in, rather than standard operating procedure for those of us who create quality workshops and prefer to not over-complicate.

Fantastic Front End Design

Bewertet am 5.6.2019
Luis A.
Most Hats 'For Now :)'
Elektrische/elektronische Fertigung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We have a small CellPhone repair shop in Anaheim, CA. But over the years technicians around the world have been watching our youtube channel, to the point that now we teach MicroSoldering online to all our students. LearnDash is helping us with the heavy lifting of putting it together and presenting all the materials to our students on a secuencial matter, pretty awasome piece of software.

Vorteile: Easy to setup, able to re-use different lessons for different courses.
Good constant flow of information and ideas trough their blog.
Fast customer support response.

Nachteile: Not able to create the lessons titles inside the course creation. In my case, I use (Course-Modules-Lessons), I can create the Modules inside the course creation, but the lessons I have to go to lessons and create them outside. (Not a mayor hassle) but would it be very convinient to be able to create them inside the course, only the titles that is. Also, not being able to 'Clone' an existing course with it's modules, lessons and quizes, but with a bit or looking I was able to find a couple of plugins that did the trick.

Brilliant product, great support, loads of plugins

Bewertet am 13.5.2019
Andy S.
Bildungsmanagement, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I installed Learndash to host and sell online learning videos. I run face to face training mainly and the online courses support that. It has worked well for me and I have been selling courses also for a few months. I have a feedback from at the end of my course and one of the questions is 'how easy is the website and course to navigate?'. 19 people completed the questionnaire last month (the first month), about 20% of users and they 18 scored it 5/5 and 1 4/5. So that says to me that the Learndash user journey and experience is really good. So overall I am really pleased and to be honest its amazing that such tech is available at such a good price.

Vorteile: It is just great value for money - what you get even as standard is really good. Loads of free plugins which are great. And I really like Notes and Private Sessions paid plugins. The support is also very good and genuinely helpful

Nachteile: The only tricky part was working out the plugins needed for user registration, but there is an excellent guide on line. Like with all Wordpress tech theres always a few different options and it takes a while to figure out what is best for you.

Highly recommended LMS plugin for WordPress

Bewertet am 12.3.2019
Rick P.
Design, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I discovered how easy it was to create online courses. LearnDash has allowed me to expand my client base.

Vorteile: I'm a WordPress implementer. A couple years ago I was approached by a client who wanted to develop an online course for non-native English speakers to study for their certifications. I'd never developed online courses before so I had to do A LOT of research. For that project, I decided on LifterLMS and I still do most of my online course development with Lifter. I'll go into why in that review, obviously. But LearnDash has certainly come very close to feature parity with Lifter. There are only a few differences in terms of functionality. Lifter's add-on system can be confusing to explain to a client whereas LearnDash is easy to sell. There are some specialized features for teams that are only available on Lifter, however. The smart course creation tool is very very good. If you're worried about how to build a complex course with video and text, don't be. LearnDash makes it easy. But LearnDash IS multisite compatible and Astra Pro, a popular WP theme, provides built-in support. Another bonus is that LearnDash has a free version to get your feet wet, available on the repo.

Nachteile: There's no support for multiple teachers per course. Lifter's frontend student dashboards are nicer.

Not quite there yet

Bewertet am 24.10.2018
Elliott B.
Senior Web Developer

Kommentare: We have been multiple Moodle learning systems and wanted to try this since it seemed easier to setup and use. It was easier, but ultimately took more time because of all the limitations in the system which we had to customize. Many features which are free in Moodle require paid plugins for Learndash and that was frustrating. The structure of the courses is not very intuitive and we had to make a lot of accommodations to work within the confines of the system.

Vorteile: It works with Wordpress so has a familiar layout to those familiar with Wordpress. Visually it looks good to the end user. Open source, so it was fairly easy to modify for our needs.

Nachteile: Seems limited when compared to Moodle and this is more expensive. The structure of the courses is pretty limited, for example you can't require only certain activities to be completed in order for a course to be marked completed, all sub-sections are required for completion. The navigation through the courses/lessons/topics could be improved. There are a lot of clicks to get to the course content and it can be frustrating trying to setup a course where the user can easily progress through from beginning to end. Often we found the user would complete a topic/lesson/quiz and there wasn't a clear path forward for them. We had to make some core customization to make this more user friendly.

A premier option for LMS development. Has all of the features you would expect.

Bewertet am 9.3.2018
Jeremy K.
Design

Vorteile: What is not to like about this? Multi-tier courses, classes, teacher interaction, and a handful of gateways to round out this system. There are really too many features to list, and most of them are rounded really nicely. Customer support is quick and easy to work with, the cost isn't prohibitive as this LMS supports creating large projects, and the features feel like fully-realized and integrated aspects of a complete software, not just bolted on options on a lesser-thought-out plugin.

Nachteile: We ran into a compatibility issue with our event software. It ended up breaking the software, and we had to axe the event system we had put in place because we wanted to use this LMS over others. We also ran into a problem where we couldn't create a class online to register with, and then host the classes offline, manually entering a grade and pass/fail for in-person testing very well. Our specific use-case ended up being the one that this software couldn't handle.

Woocommerce and Product Feature not compatible.

Bewertet am 4.12.2018
Dean S.
Creative Strategist
Design, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Unfortunately you must make an early decision if you wish to use the features of Learndash or create a profitable product. While LearnDash goes to great lengths to showcase their features. Once you attempt to use these outside of their limited sales pathway many will no longer be available to you. Using the features and scalable processes of woocommerce will remove many features that make Learndash at first glimpse and during superficial reviews attractive. Any experienced UX designers will understand that this is a huge issue. Any user will be disappointed if they can purchase a product not available to them. In many countries selling a customer a product not available to them is illegal and will expose you to legal issues. Very limiting for those wishing to make their product available or sale. Purchase with care. Not as seamless presented throughout the presales marketing.

Vorteile: Suitable for small, internal, and experimental projects. Lacks the sophistication to create a large, scalable, and sellable products.

Nachteile: Unfortunately while it is possible to sell courses through woocommerce, doing so will remove the listed features of the learndash product. Most businesses will end up selling through woocommerce to unlock automations and the power of wordpress (ie adding customers to mailchimp, adding the sale to accounting software, directing a customer post sales path etc). Unfortunately once you make a product available for sale through woocommerce many of the listed product features fail. Most notably the course prerequisite feature. Users can purchase any course available in woocommerce regardless of any restriction or settings made in Learndash.

von LearnDash an 13.12.2018

We are really sorry that our product didn't meet the specific needs of your unique use-case. We hope that you have found a solution that works for you.

We wanted to address a couple points from this review since it contains misleading information that might confuse others:

- Course prerequisites still work when selling with WooCommerce. Content cannot be viewed until all of the determined conditions are first met.

-Using WooCommerce to sell courses doesn't expose a business to legal issues. If it is preferred that a product in Woo not be displayed until a prerequisite is completed first then this is indeed possible using LearnDash features.

Easy to Use but Ugly User Interface

Bewertet am 18.10.2018
Karen H.
Founder & CEO
E-Learning, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Lately I have been thinking that because I don't use the quizzes, etc. I could have skipped the whole LMS thing and just created pages or posts that link to the next. Luckily LearnDash is not too expensive so now that it is looking nice (thanks to custom coding), I will probably just stick with it.

Vorteile: Working with LearnDash is very easy. It works very similar to the other functions in Wordpress. You create a course, add Lessons and then Topics for each lesson. For example, the course could be about How to Be a Real Estate Investor. In that course, you might have multiple lessons like How to Flip Houses, How to But Rental Property, How to Finance Real Estate, etc. The you add the detailed Topics. For example, How to Flip Houses might have things like How to Find Greta Houses to Flip. How to Fund Your Flip House Projects, How to Manage the Rehab. You get the idea... It's literally copy and paste for text and you add graphics the same way you would to any page or post in Wordpress. Also, you can have quizzes, delay the release of certain content, offer certificates and points for completion, sell your courses, interact with users based on actions they take, set timers for each lesson, set prerequisites for courses, and offer grading and badges. You can also offer the courses in bundles and even create a marketplace similar to Udemy where people can buy your courses. It integrates natively with many membership softwares including Memberium and also with many email providers and CRMS including Infusionsoft. It;s responsive and even works with SCORMs.

Nachteile: Here's what I don't like. It's ugly. The user interface is plain and not very intuitive. You have to buy other add on's so users can do things like take notes, and so that you can begin to have an interface that looks better than native Wordpresss. In other words... ugly. With all the work they put into this software, it is so crazy that they did not spend time on the user experience. It's hard to tell if you're in a Lesson or Topic. It's hard to navigate around the course form Lesson to Less or Topic or Topic to Topic and don't even think about jumping around. The only way to solve these issues is to use precious sidebar real estate for this navigation instead of being able to showcase other offerings. That or your sidebar gets really long. The interface showing which items have been completed and which have not is also ugly. And while you can buy add ons, those are "meh" at best. I finally broke down and hired a developer to tweak the code and make me a nice interface with great navigation, awesome graphics and stats for users in each Lessona nd Topic and so on.

von LearnDash an 24.10.2018

Hi Karen, thank you for your review! Regarding the visual components in LearnDash, these are soon to be updated in LearnDash 3.0 - we think you will really like them!

A very good WordPress LMS

Bewertet am 2.6.2018
Ahmed M.
Lead developer

Vorteile: I used LearnDash for WordPress for a few years now. It's well developed, feature rich, and stable plugin that integrates well with any theme. In LD you have a hierarchy of Courses->Lessons->Topics which can be utilized to develop easy to navigate courses. Quizzes are also a good feature. I18n is also great, they provide .pot files to translate to your own language if translation is not readily provided

Nachteile: Pricing model is quite awkward. I can't really find a good enough use case for a 1-site licenses vs pro 5-site license, unless I'm a developer/service provider

We switched to Learndash, and as a developer, I LOVE IT.

Bewertet am 20.3.2019
Course Building Technologist and Business Coach on the Education Team
E-Learning, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: The two best WordPress LMS plugins are LearnDash and LifterLMS. It was a hard choice between the two. But we chose Learndash because of their easy-to-use API. The major thing missing from LearnDash is that it still does require a developer (or a experienced Wordpress user) to set up. There's no easy way to plug-and-play. I wouldn't be able to hand this off to a Wordpress novice.

Vorteile: LearnDash has plenty of APIs to do all sorts of fancy things. For other LMSes, I had to write a lot of custom code to do what LearnDash does right out of the box. I also love how flexible LearnDash is. There's a lot of plugins that work alongside LearnDash.

Nachteile: There is a learning curve to setting it up. There's a lot of options. I also wish that Learndash does user management in a much more streamline way. Right now, you have to modify every user individually, or build a script to manage users. I also couldn't figure out how to use their ProPanel software.

LearnDash - It's a no brainer!

Bewertet am 14.6.2019
Serko S.
Director of Operations
Professionelles Training & Coaching, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: Ease of use, scalability, customizability, support and customer service CAN'T be beaten!

Nachteile: There's a slight learning curve. Nothing too overwhelming!

The best online teaching platform

Bewertet am 11.5.2019
EdTech
E-Learning, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: It’s the best online teaching platform.

Vorteile: We tried Thinkific and Teachable before we started using LearDash. Nothing compares to LearnDash. If you want to control your content and user experience, LearnDash is the best option.
LearnDash allows you to decide how to present your courses, how to sell it and promote it. It integrates with WooCommerce and plenty of other plugins.
Customer support is responding very fast.

Nachteile: Reporting tools could be better, now we are using a different plugin.

Very good option for basic LMS functionality

Bewertet am 2.8.2019
Nick S.
Communication Consultant
Maschinerie, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: If you have experience in WordPress, this platform is an incredible bargain and toolset. Most decent LMS options are developed for large organizations, and are priced accordingly (and by seat). For smaller companies or for situations where you don't want to pay per user (Customer facing training, etc.), LearnDash is a good option. It's pretty easy to setup and configure, and there are a bunch of add-ons and extensions that make it pretty powerful.

Nachteile: The only minor issues I have is customization. The simplicity of setup by using WordPress also means that you have a harder time customizing things to exactly what you want. Though, to me (and most of our users/customers) the default setup is typically pretty good anyway.

Good course creation plugin for WordPress

Bewertet am 1.2.2019
Anissa C.
Grafikdesign, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I've used LearnDash a few times for clients who wanted to house courses on their own websites. My own pitfall with LearnDash is that it isn't very user friendly. Also, we still need to add a membership plugin to create memberships if we wanted to set up recurring payments and protect content that wasn't involved with the course. However, LearnDash is customizable enough that we could stay on brand without risk of confusing users.

Vorteile: It allowed me to create courses for my clients right on their websites without needing to use a 3rd party. So everything is housed and branded for them specifically.

Nachteile: It isn't user friendly if you're not tech savvy. There's a lot of room for growth on the design front.

von LearnDash an 5.2.2019

Thanks for your review Anissa!

At the time of this review we are currently finishing up LD3. This will greatly improve the templates/design for the front-end, and also make things easier on the back-end for those not as familiar with WordPress. We think you'll really like these improvements! :)

Overall good software

Bewertet am 14.9.2018
Rhondalynn K.
Managing Director
Unternehmensberatung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: This package is extremely easy to set up and use. Lots of really great features. However, I would recommend getting help if you need to set up buckets and templates.

Nachteile: I found creating and managing the quizzes not very intuitive. Also, no matter what I do, I cannot get the software to push out notifications when students have completed homework. I need to check it daily which is not ideal because it means I have to do a lot of digging to find what is outstanding.

Just works

Bewertet am 3.7.2019
Terje B.
CPU
Versorgungsunternehmen, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We are running online courses for professionals, slowly going from 100% classroom based to close to 90% online. Some lab-work must still be done on-site.

Vorteile: Having used other educational software earlier where you have to adapt what you want to do to how the software lets you do it, it is both refreshing and extremely rewarding to use a learning platform that tailors to you need, instead of the other way around. Also, the support is excellent!

Nachteile: It can be fiddly to set up a system built on open source where different plugins and software has to be 100 % compatible.

We created a training website for our client base with LearnDash

Bewertet am 11.2.2019
Brad B.
Marketing Manager

Kommentare: Considering that to get a site built for us it would cost $5,000 annual and we built it ourselves for less that $1,000 and $500 annually.

Vorteile: After watching a quick Youtube video on how to create a Learning Management Site. After that it was pretty simplistic to get started. It worked well and we were able to set up our courses, lessons, and quizzes. Everything was easy to connect and create a good flow for each product and lesson we were wanting to cover.

Nachteile: Some of the notification features didn't really work and we had to get additional plugins to complete the type of automation we were looking for.

Best plugin for creating a custom eCourse platform.

Bewertet am 7.2.2018
Robert P.
Instructional Technology Specialist
501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I love that LearnDash integrates with other 3rd party plugins and can be customized to meet the needs and objectives of my courses.

Nachteile: Turning in and managing assignments is a bit clunky...no native Google integration. Also, wish there were more question types available for quizzes.

We recommend LearnDash to all of our clients

Bewertet am 19.11.2018
Ross J.
Design, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We have lots of clients that are moving into the eLearning space. They typically have a wide range of needs that fall well outside of a "off the shelf" LMS. That's what's so great about LearnDash - our clients that need a simple solution and want to own their data, content, etc... can simply install and go. Our clients that need custom workflows, solutions and design we can layer functionality on top of LearnDash.

Vorteile: Structure in a way that it works well for any scale. We've used it on small, one course projects and projects with dozens of courses with unique workflows and needs. It's a great fit in all situations.

Nachteile: Nothing comes to mind, we've always found a way to make things work.

Great Plugin for Private Tutors and Small to Medium Scale Businesses

Bewertet am 24.3.2017
Namrata G.
Content Developer

Kommentare: We've been working with LearnDash for a while now, and our clients have had great experience with the plugin. The features and extensions available, make it an ideal plugin to get your online training website started. The highlights would have to be the possibility to drip feed content, e-commerce support (through add-ons), TinCan API compliance, and the excellent customer support. LearnDash however lacks advanced quizzing and reporting capabilities that might be expected by enterprise-level businesses. But the plugin feature road-map looks promising.

Vorteile: Support to Drip-feed Content, Ease of Use, TinCan API Compliance, Membership & eCommerce plugin integration, Customer Support

Nachteile: Quizzing Module, Documentation needs improvement

After a solid year of finding out what didn't work I discovered LearnDash and things took off!

Bewertet am 15.6.2019
Michael T.
E-Learning, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I've grossed over a million dollars using LearnDash.

Vorteile: It did what I needed 95% of the way I needed it done.

Nachteile: The current version wasn't available 5 years ago. It still had some growing to do.

I freaking LOVE LearnDash and this awesome support team!

Bewertet am 22.5.2019
Anchit H.
Admin
E-Learning, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I've been pretty hesitant before buying any LMS plugin. There have been an overwhelming number of options and it's been puzzling. After some clarifications with the LearnDash support team, I decided to go for this product. Overall, I freaking LOVE LearnDash and this awesome support team! I feel that it's actually this particular support team that makes this product so awesome. They're amazing and I feel that they go out of their way to solve my problems.

Vorteile: Lots of features.
Competitive pricing.
Many features are provided out of the box (as opposed to other sites that make you buy addons for basic features).
Last but the strongest one - the support team! You can count on them if it's _anything_ related to LearnDash. I even learnt about a staging feature present in webhosts, that I didn't know about.

Nachteile: A few more themes would have been helpful, although the default theme is pretty decent.

Great support

Bewertet am 18.12.2018
Peggy K.
Owner/content creator
E-Learning, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Once I figured it out, publishing my courses became a quick, simple process. There are also a lot of tutorials that are quite helpful when they address the issue I'm searching for.

Vorteile: It does the job nicely without an overload of bells and whistles. One of the main things I appreciate is the great tech support they give and have given since I've been using this software several years ago.

Nachteile: As long as they keep helping me when I have issues, I'm very happy with it.