Brightspace is a bright choice

Bewertet am 27.8.2019
Adjunct Professor
Bildungsmanagement, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall, Brightspace is great and functional. I love it compared to all the other platforms that I am engaged with. I find this to be very easy and organic feeling, but I do run into minor issues here and there. I was obligated to use this software from my institution that I work at, but if given the choice, I'd select this product. I also have worked with many blog-based websites and this feels more similar to the tools in building a Wordpress or on Blogger. If you are familiar with platforms like that, this should feel very native.

Vorteile: I've used a lot of similar products for educational reasons like Sakai, Blackboard, WebCT, Canvas and so on and one of the pros for me that Brightspace offers is that it's very clean looking compared to some of the above. I personally find it very organic and easy to use, but I've also been using similar programs since college. Still, I feel like the tutorials on Brightspacde and the layout of it is very clean and well organized that even someone very new to this software could work with it. Some of the things I really love is the ability to customize my individual courses with colors, banners and so on, and embedding videos and images is much easier --especially when creating several courses and linking a pre-made quiz or re-uploading a video. I concurrently used this alongside Sakai since I teach at two different colleges and another feature that I'm very pleased with is the ease of connecting TurnItIn

Nachteile: There's very few items I dislike, and they may just reflect me and my colleagues. Some of the cons are as follows: I have a lot of issues with the grade book that comes with this software. This seems to be an issue I share with my colleagues as well. Some of the grade book issues range from students not being able to view grades, even after I make them visible to them and the site showing a percentage or point instead of a letter grade, even when I click the option for that. I've also had issues with making internal links to site material. For me, I'll be able to view my links, but my students are often unable to. For instance, you can create announcements that are sent out to your collaborators and in that you can put links or embedd videos and images. When I put hyperlinks to external resources, it'll work fine --same with embedding videos. However, when I link an internal link to something like course material or a lesson, it'll give my students an error, yet the student can still log into the assignment or module by going through the tabs on our course's Brightspace. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's not a make or break aspect either. For the most part, much of this software works great.

Admin Experience with Brightspace

Bewertet am 26.6.2015
Nathan L.
Lead Instructional Designer
3.5 / 5
4.5 / 5

Vorteile: As an administrator at my previous employer, I appreciated the flexibility to change pretty much anything that I wanted in the system. The ability to change what things were called in the system were very nice. In the most recent version that I had used, Brightspace had taken steps to make some changes on how system settings were handled to update the interface. Previously, the interface of the DOME was one of the most painful parts of the system. I also appreciated the service desk that Brightspace has built up over the last three years. When I began using Brightspace, items could get lost very easily with the technical teams, but after some difficult issues, Brightspace has turned around a great deal, and updates to tickets were timely and applicable for a while before I stopped using it.

Nachteile: I found that there were little things that Brightspace did not do well. For instance, workflows between different tools were very different based on the time that the original tool was designed. This led to user frustration and an increase of time training users on the common functions of the LMS. I also found that Brightspace tended to minimize small updates or fixes in order to focus on major updates. While major updates are important to survive in the field, sometimes known bugs would remain for years without a fix.

As a student, Brightspace/D2L gave me the opportunity to take classes I couldn't fit in my schedule!

Bewertet am 21.7.2018
Candace O.
Student

Kommentare: I have gained the ability to take some higher-level courses online which are necessary for college admissions/success, which I could not fit into my senior year schedule due to being a busy student!

Vorteile: I love that I can take these classes outside of school. I am currently taking four classes on Brightspace (Sociology, Psychology, Spanish III Semesters 1 & 2) because I could not fit them into my schedule for my senior year. In addition, each class comes with a "90 Day Plan" in the course materials, which helps keep me on track; I try to do more per day than what is on the plan, as I'm trying to get most of the workload finished before school starts again.
This brings me to my next point: Working at my own speed! As evidenced by my taking four classes over the summer, I am an advanced student who is serious about her education. Brightspace gives students the flexibility of working at their own speed. Although a "90 Day Plan" is offered as a guideline, there are no daily requirements set by the software itself. As a high schooler, some days I'm just busy, plain and simple. I don't have to worry about fulfilling a daily requirement with Brightspace. Again, the flexibility of completing online courses at my own pace is invaluable to a busy student like myself.

Nachteile: There's not much to complain about with this software. However, there is one issue I face on the daily with Brightspace. When working on a lesson, every now and again there will be a little box that pops up warning the user that if the session exceeds 30 minutes of inactivity, they will be logged out and will have to log back in again. I understand that it is set to do this for security reasons, but it is incredibly annoying when I'm taking notes on the lesson (which takes a decent amount of time) to have to be wary of the pop up appearing.

Robust and diverse LMS for best results

Bewertet am 6.3.2019
Lilian W.
HR Manager
Personalbeschaffung & -besetzung, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter
Quelle: GetApp

Kommentare: I think this app is equally useful for both teachers and students. It is perfect for sharing files between users, it can keep people organized, and it also can provide with a high level of communication, as it has features that are not available in other platforms.

Vorteile: This app has everything students can use to avoid failing deadlines. It helps students to keep all critical data in one place, so it makes them more organized and aware of the education process. In Brightspace you can drag and drop all kind of files, as well as rearrange them, so new content can be easily seen. For teachers, it is also easy to create different types of tests or quizzes without spending much time or many resources. Brightspace is a well-known LMS and is used across our college as the learning management platform. It is used to distribute the different type of information, assignments tests, which makes the education process for both students and teachers more convenient.

Nachteile: This app lacks an intuitive interface. It is difficult to get used it, and it requires time to understand how to activate one feature or another. You need time to customize your interface; otherwise, it will be cluttered and even more complicated to use. There is an option to create discussions, but it is hard to organize them. It also would be nice to have a video chat option so that some lectures can be given online. Tech support can be improved, as it is not helpful and it usually blames users instead of fixing the problem.

Redefining the learning

Bewertet am 25.7.2018
Mavares P.
Docente Universitario

Kommentare: Create pleasant spaces for interaction among the participants.

Vorteile: Technological advances in modern platforms seek, in one way or another, to redefine the concept of human learning. That is why platforms like Brightspace seek not only to manage all the most important aspects of educational management, ranging from the earliest ages to the most advanced students of high school, changing with them and adapting to their cognitive and emotional needs, accompanying them, but without imposing rhythms. And this is possible because Brightspace seeks to personalize learning, focusing them, in a very short time, effectively and in a very simple way. The versatility of the platform makes it absolutely compatible with the wide range of smart devices.
The process of teaching is not limited to the simple act of speaking or explaining in the classroom, this process must be thought, planned, developed, executed and, more importantly, evaluated. Brightspace all those tasks, using their useful tools. As a direct consequence, we can observe a significant improvement in classroom work, which will be noticed, due to the amount of activities that users will begin to share, which will involve parents and tutors, who will be able to manage feedback processes in real time. with personal messages.

Nachteile: Platforms such as Brightspace must have control or ability to configure pop-up windows, as well as other tools that must adapt to the changing requirements of users. The platform must be more managed so that it can reach more places and be more recommended.

Brightspace: a powerful, but not the most intuitive LMS

Bewertet am 2.7.2015
Jeremy W.
Grundschul- & Sekundarbildung

Vorteile: Brightspace puts a lot of options at the user's disposal. It is a powerful, robust LMS that can be customized to fit a wide variety of preferences. As an admin and as an instructor, I really appreciated that the system did not lock me in to one way of doing things. I also really like how much, especially in recent years, the Brightspace development team seeks for input from its users (and provides great forums for sharing ideas for improvements).

Nachteile: Currently, Brightspace does not have a very robust way of setting up communications throughout the course. They use a feature called "intelligent agents" for sending notices to students when they meet certain criteria (for example, sending a particular note to a student when he is inactive in the course or performs particularly well on an assessment). This feature, however, lacks a good deal of "intelligence" and is pretty restricted in what it can do. I also feel that much of Brightspace is not particularly intuitive or streamlined. I'd like to see them improve on ease of use (without sacrificing power). A good example of this is the quiz feature where finding the exact page you need to get to in order to edit questions and grade values is a bit like a scavenger hunt.

Best used for online courses

Bewertet am 5.4.2019
Melissa E.
Adjunct Professor
Hochschulbildung, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I have not had any problems using Brightspace or D2L. I think the user interface is easy to learn and it is easy to find where I need to be to make assignments, grade submissions, and more. The system allows you to work as the administrator/faculty/teacher/instructor/ but also allows you to switch to the student view, which enables you to see what your students will see. I like that feature! It is extremely easy to upload files and images and adding hyperlinks is also a breeze, allowing you to choose the new window to open within the course or on a separate page. Even when they update the software, I find it very easy to learn the new applications. I have used a few other systems in the past and I really do like Brightspace and D2L over the others.

Vorteile: I found this software very easy to use and pretty intuitive. It is fresh looking on the screen and I've not had any issues with the system not working as it should.

Nachteile: There are a few extra clicks that have to take place in some parts of the software to get back to where you want to be. That is somewhat annoying, but a minor issue.

Fantastic for everyone from beginners to people who want to do some unique activities and grading

Bewertet am 19.7.2019
Graduate Student
Krankenhausversorgung & Gesundheitswesen, Selbstständig

Vorteile: I was recently employed by Texas Christian University as an adjunct professor, and this was the first time I had ever taught a class at a different university. I had never used Brightspace before and to be honest I was a little bit overwhelmed with it at first. There are so many different functions and options that at first glance it seems like it will take months to learn. However, I think their help section is really user friendly and within a day I had my class pretty much set up. I love all of the more advanced grading features and automatic % calculations that this does, it saves so much time as I used to do this all in Excel. Also, I was only on campus once/week and was driving from over 40 minutes away on days that I was there. So, having office hours on days off was pretty much not going to happen. However, Brightspace has an amazing feature that can connect you to students over video chat from anywhere! This allowed me to have more personal 1-on-1 time with students who needed help while not having to drive all the way to campus!

Nachteile: There is quite a bit of a learning curve to get to the more complex stuff, but after you learn it your productivity skyrockets.

I have used D2L almost daily for years and have never had an issue getting the info I need.

Bewertet am 17.1.2018
Brandon V.
Next Generation Pastor

Vorteile: I have loved using D2L for both my undergraduate and graduate studies. It has made submitting and keeping track of my assignments very easy. I love that it keeps everything on one easy to navigate website. I don't know what other options are out there, but I can't imagine anything being more user-friendly for students than this!

Nachteile: I did not realize course access expires when I first started using D2L for my school work. I didn't bother downloading a lot of my class materials to my computer beacuse I assumed it would always be there for me to reference. I looked back a year or two later and saw that my classes had disappeared. I understand why, but I really wish there was a counter or notification before course removal so I could download any content I wanted. This is probably something managable by the school, but it would be great if D2L would notify the students.

Easy to use and wide variety of options

Bewertet am 9.7.2019
Elizabeth R.
Course Coordinator
Bildungsmanagement, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I love Brightspace! When it was first introduced I was skeptical because of the system we had been using so long and having to train everyone on new software is time-consuming and exhausting. But I found that it was an easier transition than I imagined, although there are so many features it can be a bit overwhelming for some. Overall, I really enjoy using the software and know that it benefits my students as well.

Vorteile: I really like the feature where you can open up quizzes or surveys for individual students. I use this when I have set a time/date for an item to close by and then students give me a valid excuse, then I can open it back up for them for whatever length of time I choose for them to complete the assignment. I also like that it is easy for a skilled user to navigate.

Nachteile: Even though I know how to navigate through the online set up now, it is sometimes troublesome for my students because there are just so many different options and different ways to navigate to the same thing. I usually have to do a short run through on how to use the software before the class begins and then I always have those that reach out with numerous questions regarding how to find something. This too has to do with the laziness of some students since I had no problem teaching myself how to use it.

High Functionality, Low Intuitiveness

Bewertet am 28.7.2019
Michael A.
Assistant Professor
E-Learning, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: As one of many different Learning Management Systems on the market, Brightspace foots the bill as a solid platform that is student- and instructor-friendly. The layout is self-explanatory, and the default settings are appealing to many users. The ability to customize course elements, while being able to make use of embedded tools, such as calendars and rubric designers, makes this learning environment a safe bet for prospective clients. As an instructor, I do find some processes to be a bit convoluted and unintuitive. For instance, assigning grade values and having these numbers populate in the grade book can be cumbersome. In addition, grading and publishing grades can be tricky if the correct options are unselected. Overall, Brightspace presents an aesthetically appealing and functional product that has its own quirks, while boasting a host of benefits.

Vorteile: Numerous design and layout options
Embedded templates for rubrics and assignments

Nachteile: Some functionality is not intuitive in nature

BrightSpace is amazing!

Bewertet am 20.1.2018
Social Studies/U. S. History/World Geography/World History Teacher
E-Learning, 51-200 Mitarbeiter
Quelle: GetApp

Kommentare: My students (middle and high school) are able to become proficient in the navigation of the system in just a few days with minimal questions and challenges.

Vorteile: BrightSpace includes all of the typical features of any LMS. However, D2L has improved the platform over time and has made the system more intuitive and user friendly. I also use CourseDen (the higher ed version of BrightSpace) for my college courses and the features are essentially the same with a few differences. However, the two platforms are enough alike that, once you know one system, learning to use the other one is a cinch. The features allow for very specific customization of assessments, discussions, and other features. I have built my own courses within the LMS, so I am familiar with a majority of the features and capabilities of the LMS.

Best Software for Universities to use!

Bewertet am 10.2.2019
Tiffany R.
Bildungsmanagement, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Absolutely one of the best softwares for courses on the market. Highly recommend and it is used at the top universities in the country.

Vorteile: D2L is the most organized and functional software for universities to use. Students have one place to access all their courses and find all information they need. Using d2L, professors post all the content from their course and organize it however they want. Quizzes, discussions, and assignment drop boxes are found on D2L as well. D2L provides easy online accessibility for both teachers and students, making going to school a much easier task.

Nachteile: The due dates for assignments get confusing, not sure if thats a user error via professors, but they always seem to have to email student to say they don't know how to change the due date for certain assignments.

Great for Online Learning

Bewertet am 20.11.2018
Ben S.
IT Consultant

Kommentare: As a student my expirience with Brightspace has been nothing but positive.

Vorteile: As a college student, I have used D2L for 3 years. I have taken a handful of all online classes whose only presence was via Brightspace. Brightspace has created a really nice online environment for classes, you can host all your content there, provide quizzes/tests within Brightspace. Theres even a discussion board for talking with other class members or the instructor. I like being able to work at my own pace, which is what an online class provides, and Brightspace provides all the features to host a well developed online class.

Nachteile: Auto-saving responses on tests doesn't work always. This is a relatively new feature though so, I'm sure it will get fixed soon.

I use Brightspace every single day!

Bewertet am 24.9.2019
Elyzabeth S.
E-Learning, Selbstständig

Kommentare: My experience with Brightspace has only been within the last two years, but the experience has been a rich and pleasant one. I am a Graduate student who spends hours, and hours, on Brightspace every single day. The organization of the site is exceptional. The navigation is easy for anyone to understand. It's made school all the easier simply because of the ease that comes with the use of Brightspace. It's a great source, and I would recommend it to everyone!

Vorteile: The simplicity of navigation is amazing. I have to navigate through multiple courses within Brightspace, and it's very well organized and categorized. Which makes school all the easier. There is never any confusion regarding what I am trying to find, and how to find it.

Nachteile: The only negative thing I can say about Brightspace is the inability to access previous courses and work submitted within the courses. With that being said, I believe that is a school-based setting, and not a fault of Brightspace.

Brightspace: The flexible, cloud based, LMS. Created by D2L, 2014.

Bewertet am 12.9.2018
Evaggelia A.
Teacher, MsC Educational Technology
Grundschul- & Sekundarbildung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Possibilities for educators:
Communicate with students via email and online conference.
Accept online discussions.
Manage their grades.
Customize the appearance of the course pages.
Share the content of the lessons and the multimedia with the students.
They can comment.
Develop instructions and assignments in foreign languages.
Create instructions and assignments using a mathematical note.
Through its own builder that provides quizzes, multiplechoice, ruby ​​and even games.
To incorporate portfolio-based activities into the work using the integrated ePortfolio system

Vorteile: -It places the student at the center of learning.
-It provides collaboration and interaction.
-It has a variety of tools.
-It combines most learning theories.
-It can be used by both educators and trainees.
-It combines education and learning resources with assessment and analysis features to create an integrated e-learning environment.

Nachteile: -The cost: It has an annual cost and is tailored to the number of users connected at the same time.
-It is not installed locally.
Course files are stored on a remote server that manages D2L.
-Network delay time is often slow and disturbing.

Brightspace was easy to learn as a student!

Bewertet am 22.1.2019
Accountant
Buchhaltung, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: It allows for great communication between students and teachers and overall was simple to understand from both perspectives!

Vorteile: I enjoyed the formatting and how easy to use brightspace was compared to the previous software my university used. It made tracking grades and all of the content my teacher posted so much easier to follow. It also shows how your grades were compared to other students and allows you to track your own performance. When I was a TA, it was also really easy to post news items, enter grades and insert comments on students' papers. Easy to understand for all users!

Nachteile: It can be difficult to operate on mobile devices - there are less buttons to navigate the pages but it's not impossible to use.

Capable education software for managing classwork and curriculum

Bewertet am 28.8.2019
Jeffrey W.
Self-Employed
Design, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I need to use the software for my all online Masters program at Eastern University and so far I have not experienced any bugs or delays. Seems up for the task!

Vorteile: I enjoy the software in that it is the basis for my online education at Eastern University. I am able to complete my Master's degree without ever setting foot on campus and I can do it all with Brightspace behind the scenes keeping me on track. I am able to see deadlines, post to forums and submit my homework and quizzes among other things. Great software!

Nachteile: The software just seems to me, to be a little "work-in-progress" to me. I often find little notifications for the professor of a class on the same screen I'm not supposed to see as a student. It's basically just the UI that could be improved upon. Also, perhaps it has this, but I'm unsure... but it could use a text to speech feature for textbook reading. I have not come across that yet.

Brightspace Review

Bewertet am 13.4.2019
Marissa W.
Communications
Religiöse Einrichtungen, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I enjoy taking classes in Brightspace. It is more convenient than other softwares I have used in the past.

Vorteile: I really enjoy the simplicity of how to find assignments and course work. Something else that is great is that anytime you send it an assignment the software will send you a confirmation email assuring your completion and submission. Technical support always knows how to correct an issue that is going on.

Nachteile: I have experienced the software glitching on many occasions. I will need to complete an assignment and turn it in to a specific place and that submission title is not uploaded in my course selection for the week. I have also contacted technical support many times, in which they reply pretty slowly.

Good LMS but not all-encompassing

Bewertet am 26.9.2018
Lecturer, Researcher
Hochschulbildung, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Brightspace by D2L was useful for implementing a live course's online material, but the program lacks important components that are necessary for online courses.

Vorteile: This Learning Management System is GOOD but not the best. It is great that D2L and Brightspace have an easy-to-use portal that differentiates between student, instructor, and even TAs. However, the options that come with competitors like CANVAS are far superior...

Nachteile: CANVAS, a competing LMS, provides more external resource use, such as Virtual Office Hours during Conferences, and even grouping students into smaller groups to use MS Office through Collaborations. Brightspace is user friendly for students but more difficult to manage for administrators/teachers.

A platform for learning with its own learning curve

Bewertet am 21.11.2018
Instructor of English
Hochschulbildung, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Brightspace has allowed our students to access course information online and in hybrid environments. The LMS is powerful and can produce quality courses that are highly customizable and interactive. I have used it for around six months now as an instructor and have noticed that while it is powerful, you might want to trial it out alongside a couple of other competitors to find one that fits you.

Vorteile: I like the complex features that are offered by this LMS. Course creators can embed external sources, create several nested modules and access plenty of documentation. Users can also access content on nearly all browsers and operating systems.

Nachteile: There is a steep learning curve, and it can be difficult to even access basic course information as a learner, or to even find out how to create a single module for students as an administrator. The issues related to mobile access, Safari, and flash are still present in this LMS as well. It will be difficult to access certain pages, and some external links do not allow you to access them either.

No more paper!

Bewertet am 25.3.2015
Rose J.
Consultant
4.5 / 5

Vorteile: I like that I've been able to do away with collecting paper in most of my courses. I am also able to easily arrange course materials for my students to access. Depending on your course, the original setup can be intense, but it is very easy to copy the course over for a new semester of a different section. I enjoy being able to post grades and attendance in D2L. I love that I can grade a quiz by question. Sometimes, I need to only look at one question.

Nachteile: There can be some misleading language such as "locked" on the calendar list next to a discussion assignment. Students see this as meaning that they cannot access the activity. But what it really means is that there is a period of time for which the assignment will be locked. It doesn't necessarily mean that the assignment can't be accessed at that time. I get lots of questions about this. I still find the grade calculating tool is not as robust as I need it to be.

Decent learning platform.

Bewertet am 28.8.2018
Mary W.
Music instructor and secretary
Grundschul- & Sekundarbildung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I took most of my master's level courses using this platform. After learning to navigate it, I became very familiar with it, and it was a decent platform for the professors to present material on. I liked how it would show notifications for discussion posts (particularly when someone would reply to something you had written). Also, it would alert you when a professor had submitted a grade for an assignment. These are great features that other learning platforms do not have, and I most definitely miss them when using those platforms.

Nachteile: It was not a very clean way to present material. It was a little cumbersome at times, took a lot of "getting used to," and was missing some features that would have been helpful that I had experienced on other platforms.

The support has been great. The tool itself is on par with others - not amazing but not bad at all.

Bewertet am 5.1.2018
Jeff B.
Chief Innovation Officer

Kommentare: If the organization is centralized, D2L seems to be the best choice for an LMS that I know of (I've been working in this space a long time!).

Vorteile: Our school needed a lot of flexibility and customization, as well as integration capability. They have a rich API layer that allowed us to create an "uber" system - a next-gen learning system that all appeared to be a single entity even though it was made up of multiple platforms.

Nachteile: The costs for flexibility and data are problematic - it's an issue for all LMS companies but it would be great to see more progressive thinking around our school's data.

So Many Uses

Bewertet am 28.2.2017
Leslie L.
Resident Coordinator
Bildungsmanagement, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I use D2L daily not not use it in the typical fashion of teacher-learner. I use it as a place to store data (Physician lectures, journal reading links, PowerPoint's, etc.) for resident physicians. This is a great way to get info out and I can track each resident to see how they are progressing. I can send emails and messages individually or as groups. I can see login attempts, pages they have been to and how much time was spent. I really like the dropbox feature. This allows them to put specific 'assignments' in and it is time stamped and does not crowd my email. I can easily see the information they upload and I can leave comments. I highly recommendD2L. There is so much to offer!

Vorteile: So many options for different uses.