Über Altaro VM Backup

Sicherung der virtuellen Maschine für Hyper-V- und VMware - Kostenlose Version für Kleinstunternehmen: Kostenlos (für immer) für zwei VMs pro Host!

Erfahre mehr über Altaro VM Backup

No auto VM provision from HyperV host. I must add manualy newly added VMs.

Bewertungen zu Altaro VM Backup

Altaro VM Backup hat eine Gesamtbewertung von 4,8 von 5 Sternen basierend auf 186 Nutzerbewertungen auf Capterra.

Hast du Altaro VM Backup bereits verwendet?

Max
Geschäftsführer in Deutschland
Buchhaltung, 11-50 Mitarbeiter

optimal für den Mittelstand

einfache Bedingung auch ohne größere EDV Kenntnisse kann man selbst ohne EDV Betreuung einsetzten. Sehr guter Support!

Alles nur auf Englisch - Könnte auch auf Deutsch angeboten werden

Sebastian
CIO in Deutschland
Computer- & Netzwerksicherheit, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Review

5,0 vor 2 Wochen Neu

It is easy to use. Die Funktionen sind ausreichend und das das Cloud Backup funktioniert gut.

RMM Integration is missing. Direkte Sicherung der VMs zu einem Cloud Speicher.

Praneel
Praneel
IT Technical Support Officer in Fidschi
Einzelhandel, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Altaro VM

The ease of using and GUI is so user friendly that a person with minimum knowledge can easily deploy and use it.

To be honest I, dont see any see any thing as such. Since the team is contiuously working on developing some create features.

In Betracht gezogene Alternativen: Veeam Backup & Replication

Warum Altaro VM Backup gewählt wurde: The ease of use and teh price point.

Zuvor genutzte Software: ShadowProtect

Gründe für den Wechsel zu Altaro VM Backup: As i said ease of use and price point

vor 9 Monaten

Thanks so much for your feedback. We appreciate it!

Matthew
President in USA

Astoundingly Good; Very Affordable

5,0 letzten Monat Neu

Kommentare: Veeam is the Cadillac of backups, and there are lots of Chevys that will get the job done but really make you work at it, but Altaro sits in the sweet spot of a great value with lots of features. I have deployed it at every client that runs VMs on Windows, and it has saved the day several times. Setup takes about five minutes, especially if you are using an attached target. Even complicated NAS-based backups with off-site copies (another great feature) can be set up in less than 30 minutes for every VM on a server.

The ability to schedule sandbox restores drew me to Altaro, but honestly, the few times that I have needed Tech Support (including one time on a holiday) it was outstanding. The quality of the support, the speed with which I can reach someone, and the genuine politeness of the staff make getting support painless. I also like the ability to do off-site copies of the backups. This work s great when I use a direct-attached targets like ioSafe drives and then replicate the backups to portable USB drives to go off site.

The software is amazingly full featured, but I would like to see the sandbox restore take a snapshot of the services snap-in on the restore once started, shut down the sandbox, delete the restored machine, and send me the image so that I know it worked. The first time you put in the license code it is a bit convoluted. This is nit picking.

In Betracht gezogene Alternativen: BackupAssist und Acronis True Image

Gründe für den Wechsel zu Altaro VM Backup: Features versus price. Once I tested it the ease of use sealed the deal.

Mandeep
IT Technician in Kanada
Staatsverwaltung, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

adminsitrator

3,0 letzte Woche Neu

Ease to use and reliability. accuracy and support

I want if Altaro have Phone support instead of chat

letzte Woche

Thank you for your reivew. We'd like to clarify that phone support is available 24/7, as well as chat.

Warren
General Manager in UK

Altaro - Reliable and great suppot

Kommentare: Altaro is a very reliable backup solution. If and when we have required support, the webchat function within the software is fantastic and the support guys are incredibly helpful

What I like most, is the wizard driven selections. Setting it up is super easy because of this. Even if you haven't used Altaro before, you will be up and running in no time.

we have fund previously that if a new version of Altaro is released, it creates a new folder for backups, which takes up more room on the media, as it keeps the previous backups as well as the new.

In Betracht gezogene Alternativen: Datto SIRIS

Warum Altaro VM Backup gewählt wurde: We felt that Veem was quite cumbersome to use, and Altaro was more straight forward.

Zuvor genutzte Software: Veem

Gründe für den Wechsel zu Altaro VM Backup: Altaro offered a much more competitive pricing option.

Ray
CTO in Niederlande
Computer- & Netzwerksicherheit, 11-50 Mitarbeiter

Once you see it work, you will like it

4,0 vor 2 Wochen Neu

Kommentare: My overal experience with this Software is Positive. No negative feelings and we have it running at a lot of our customers, most installations just run, notifications keep coming in, and backups are made. We sometimes test it , and every time the backup can be restored. Not losing sleep over this.

I liked the easy, no fuss install. being up and running in 15 minutes.

It used to be that the backups were easily accessible, vhd files in a subfolder, nowadays it's more complex, I guess because of regulations/ security. I liked how it was before, that way I could even use the backed up VHD as any VHD. Most of the functionality is now already in Altaro, so there is less need for it. But would have been nice to have. But to be honest I don't miss it.

In Betracht gezogene Alternativen: Arcserve UDP und Veeam Backup & Replication

Gründe für den Wechsel zu Altaro VM Backup: Because of cost and ease of deployment[ it is just one Setup file, no need to setup SQl servers or anything. start setup, next next finish, but after that some configuration is needed, [Storage location and frequency] Done.

Mark
Technical Director in UK

It just makes life easier

5,0 vor 2 Wochen Neu

Kommentare: It just makes life much easier and gives us confidence in backup storage.

It's very easy to use and to recover data. Installation is straightforward as is the updating process. A key feature is the almost instant access to support via in app chat sessions.

Integration with RMM platforms could be better by making specific packages for the products.

In Betracht gezogene Alternativen: Veeam Backup & Replication

Warum Altaro VM Backup gewählt wurde: Initially cost, but soon realised it's great GUI was saving us time.

Zuvor genutzte Software: Veeam Backup & Replication

Gründe für den Wechsel zu Altaro VM Backup: price point and feature set included.

Rudi
Owner in Südafrika

No fuss VM backup software

5,0 letzten Monat Neu

Kommentare: This software allows us to back up our customers VM's easily and gives us peace of mind with a daily recap of the previous day's backups.

Implementation is a breeze and it doesn't need a tertiary degree to get it deployed.

I would love to be able to back up endpoints directly to cloud storage without needing an additional Windows server.

In Betracht gezogene Alternativen: Azure Backup

Warum Altaro VM Backup gewählt wurde: Cost savings for both ourselves and our customers.

Zuvor genutzte Software: Infrascale Backup & Disaster Recovery

Gründe für den Wechsel zu Altaro VM Backup: Cost-effectiveness and ease of setup.

Patrick
CEO in Deutschland

7 years of Altaro in practice

5,0 letzten Monat Neu

Kommentare: Very quick and easy to install, after that all customer installations can be monitored, controlled and also updated centrally via a website, this saves us an extremely large amount of time when supporting our customer systems. If a problem really occurs, you can rely on the easily accessible support. We now only use Altaro, why should we pay more for other solutions without added value.

The representation of the backup in the CMC could be better presented more clearly

Network Administrator in USA
Bau, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Powerful, User Friendly Backups

5,0 letzten Monat Neu

What I like most about Altaro is the simple interface that is extremely user friendly.

Not much, its really simple to use and is loaded with features

Gustavo
Gustavo
Network and Infraestructure Administrator in Ecuador
Hochschulbildung, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Excelente VM Backup Software

4,0 letzte Woche Neu

Kommentare: We backup 6 hosts we over 40 VMs Onsite and offsite, and it works really well, no complains, also it is a very goood way to test new environments by restoring backups from any server.

What I most like about it, is the pricing model per Host instead of VM, it is very similar to the competitor, but has better pricing, its easy to try before buying, it is super intuitive to set it up, you don't even need to read the how to documentation, because is is really easy to use.

Some times the Altaro Services drops or Backups stops working (don't understand exactly why) SO You have to contact support (that is excellent and immediate) to solve it. This is the only reason we have been paying for the continuous support.

Steve
Code Mercenary in USA
Elektrische/elektronische Fertigung, 11-50 Mitarbeiter

Gives me a lot of value for my money

4,0 vor 2 Wochen Neu

Kommentare: I've been very pleased with Altaro VM Backup for my VMware ESXI network. Other backup packages were either way too simple or way too expensive and too complicated. I'm not primarily a network administrator, I'm a software engineer, so I don't want to have to understand all the intricacies of complex backups. I just want to be able to set up a reliable backup that happens in an automated way and notifies me in a clear fashion if the backup completes and warns me if it doesn't complete. Altaro hit all the right balance of those features for our small company.

The price is great for a small business that needs decent backup software with a good feature set. The interface is easy to use even if creating backups is not your primary job. The daily notifications are great and summarize what's happened to make it easy to see if anything needs your attention without devoting a lot of time to reading the email.

Needs occasional hand-holding. For a couple reasons the backups will fail once or twice a quarter. Sometimes it's due to needing to reauthenticate with my offsite storage on a Synology array but other times it's because the Altaro services stop working on the backup server so I have to stop and restart them.

In Betracht gezogene Alternativen: Veeam Backup & Replication

Warum Altaro VM Backup gewählt wurde: Needed more features and visibility into the sucess or failure of the backups.

Gründe für den Wechsel zu Altaro VM Backup: Been too long to remember why.

Charles
I.T. Manager in Kanada
Maschinerie, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Pretty good backup product with nice user-friendly GUI

Kommentare: I do enjoy the product and wish it had a proper DR model. What I mean by that is, the means to bring up or restore an environment is a very timely fashion on multiple segmented networks if necessary. This is Disaster Recovery and seems to be a problem for Altaro to figure out.
As a side note, offsite backup locations can be LAN, Cloud but not tape media should ppl be using older LTO drives.

It is relatively easy to restore my Hyper-V servers, granular recovery takes some time but overall, I am pretty happy with this suite at my org

Altaro has a replication model that doesn't work well for DR. If you have subnet a and subnet b both segmented and seperated by WAN VPN, do not expect this to be a viable DR solution. YES, it does allow you to restore from VM (boot from VM) in the second backed-up subnet, but if that subnet is different to the VMs original subnet, those machines will not talk. Networking 101. There needs to be a mechanism to restore VMs in a DR site predictably and immediately without this limitation. I think I read that Altaro is introducing a functionality change for DR in the coming release that addresses this and I have enquired as to specs. Right now, my option is to backup to my local NAS, commit a second backup to segment 2 NAS for resiliency and incase of fire or disaster and recover. Slow venture but at least there is copies offsite and available. Customer service experience has ranged from friendly to cocky responses - and they like to throw KB articles at you instead of taking the time to explain what and why's (like every novice user must know the product as good as they know it)

Antwort von Altaro Software

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. Although we have no ETA as yet, DRaaS is on our roadmap.

Si
Systems Engineer in UK
Computer-Vernetzung, 11-50 Mitarbeiter

It really does what it says on the Tin!

Kommentare: The whole experience wrapped up is just - Good!! We had a situation causing us to move away from another backup vendor due to issues (not being able to depend on a backup to simply do its job causes sleepless nights after a while). We installed Altaro VM Backup, configured it - all in 15 minutes, including set-up of the email alerts and left it for the evening. Next day - Emails are usually our first encounter as to what occurred overnight - They were all Green! Seriously - a big wow from us! 7 Virtual Machines all backed up successfully and in a time window that seriously made me look twice. The compression and the speed of backups - wow!

I have a few things I like - but the most nicest thing: The user interface on Altaro product always seems so simple, and logical. Being in IT support, I dread those times when it takes 20 minutes to work out the GUI or interface to try and restore a file or check a backup log.

OK - Not being funny - I'll have to come back to this question, because I struggle to think of something I really don't like right now.

shlomo
Manager in USA

Why we moved from a competing software to Altaro backup software.

Kommentare: While we are a smallish company, we have a pretty large virtual environment, mostly for development and testing purposes. We currently house about 80 VMs and have at our disposal about 60 TB of disk space. We were unhappy with our current backup software and started looking for alternatives. Altaro was chosen as the replacement software primarily due to their exemplary support services, fair pricing structure and a rich set of features and functions. As a software company ourselves, we are very aware and sensitive to the level of support that comes with purchasing a software. Altaro offer 24/7 technical support, and they are very good at resolving issues and answering questions.

Extremely easy to install, configure and get running. Within 15 minutes, all the Hyper-V hosts and the VMs were recognized and ready for backup. A non-experienced junior employee can get the product up and running. User GUI is very clean, clear and intuitive. We managed to perform all the tasks without reading any instructions. Altaro is fast, very fast. The first time we performed a full backup, there was concern that it completed too soon, and that the backups were not usable. But we restored to a test drive and they all checked out. The incremental backups with deduplication are even faster, taking only a minute or so per VM. The Deduplication compression is very good. We are currently looking at over 80% savings of space. The price is right. They have a very fair pricing structure for both licenses and support services and offer discounts and incentives when needed. Offsite backup feature easy to implement. Using their offsite server setup file, any computer within the intranet/internet can become an offsite backup location. Consistently improving their offerings. With every new release of the software, clients are introduced to new features and functions, many of which have come from the clients themselves. They listen to the client’s feedback. Exemplary support services. One of the few companies that offer 24/7 support staffed with senior technical resources. We have always been able to receive support and assistance almost instantly.

Too sensitive with error codes from storage devices. In cases that other products complete the backup and restore, Altaro fails due to minor errors reported from storage devices. I wish they would complete the backup and just add a warning that there was an error code reported. Using a new storage device resolved the issues in our case. No support for defining many backup JOBS. You can only define one primary and one offsite backup source, and each VM can only belong to these 2 sources. It would be nice to be able to backup a VM multiple times, to multiple primary sources, each source with different location and retention policy. This can be achieved only by a many to many relationship between VMS and Primary/Offsite sources. I was told this may be coming out in the next release.

Antwort von Altaro Software

Thanks for reviewing Altaro VM Backup - we really appreciate it. We confirm that the support you require for backup jobs will become available in v8.5 of the solution, scheduled to be released later this year.

Dale
Support Desk Engineer in USA
Computer- & Netzwerksicherheit, 11-50 Mitarbeiter

Altaro VM Backup

Kommentare: We have reduced the average time of recovery for a failed server. Clients appreciate that we can recover their business servers within a few hours instead of a few days.
We have been using Altaro VM Backup since v. 4 I think. I was impressed with the early version and have specified Altaro VM Backup as our standard for Virtual Machine environments.
The addition of the Cloud Management Console and integration with ConnectWise is a big plus.

Setup and configuration is fairly quick. Restore options allow for a granular file level from a VM image backup. Ability to restore to different host. Ability to copy an Offsite backup to remote location. Support for Cloud storage sites for off site backup storage. Speed of recovery time on a failed host. Able to restore a VM to new host within a couple hours. Compression and de-duplication saves storage space on backup media. Product support is excellent. Usually able to solve errors within the Support Chat. Support is always ready to answer even the simplest question to help us out.

The local management console is not password protected. Limited explanation of error messages in the software. Setting up network connections to NAS storage can sometimes fail with cryptic error message.

Antwort von Altaro Software

Thank you for reviewing Altaro VM Backup. We appreciate it! We do understand where you are coming from here, however, efforts should be made to tighten the OS security layers in this case. If a hacker gains admin access to the server, this means that they have access to the backup data with or without the Altaro console. We agree that having restricted access to the console would be a great feature; in fact, we have discussed having granular access for different users but we cannot offer an ETA for this just yet. Currently, our primary recommendation here is to strengthen password policies for accounts that have server logon access, and restrict access through the OS layer itself.

Petr
System administrator in Tschechien

Best backup tool for that amount of money

Kommentare: I use altaro backup for few years now, started with the free licenses for 2VM environments and with every new version there is bunch of new features (like CDP, replication for example).

The biggest reason for use of Altaro VM Backup is the price. For reasonable money you can get full package of virtual machine backup tools. Now it is even cheaper (for small environment with 2-3 virtual machines) with Altaro MSP program, for like 5 bucks a month per VM you get unlimited plus license - such a great deal!

The only cons in some cases is no option for Hyper-V host backup. I know, it is necessary in like 3% of cases, but still, if you are part of the 3%, you have no chance with Altaro and you have to use another app for host backup. I was a bit disappointed with new limitations of free license - no retention policy available, no immediate backup notification to email in V8. But anyway - you can now always jump to MSP program for really small money.

Antwort von Altaro Software

Thanks for your review of Altaro VM Backup. We actually do have plans to release a backup solution for physical servers, which will give the option to restore that physical server to a VM. That said, it will not handle hypervisors, the Hyper-V Host should not have anything aside from VMs running on it, so normally a one-off or periodic backup using Windows Server Backup should be enough to cover your needs, as the data that is changing is inside the VMs themselves, which Altaro VM Backup is backing up regularly. We have a more detailed blog article about this here if you're interested in further reading: http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/hyper-v-backup-strategies-dont-worry-management-os/

Bünyamin
it-Sysadmin in Deutschland
Tiefbau, 11-50 Mitarbeiter

Altaro - Best Choice for me

very easy to use. Nice Dashboard with a lot of first sight information.

German Language! Not everyone can understand it.

Antwort von Altaro Software

Many thanks indeed for your review of Altaro VM Backup. We have taken note of your request to have a version of the product in German, but cannot make any commitments about this at this point.

Ashwin
IT Services Manager in Mauritius
Bildungsmanagement, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Highly recommended software

We chose Altaro as it met all our requirements as a VM Backup and Recovery software at a cheaper cost than other common VM Backup and Recovery software. The system is very easy to use and did not require any training to implement. The Sandbox & Verification is a big plus to test backups and to do test drills. We rarely had issues with the software and the minor issues we had were promptly addressed by support.

Though it provides the possibility to backup a VM to cloud providers, it does not offer the possibility to run the VM from the cloud as a DR site. However I understood that this feature is being implemented and coming soon which will be a great addition.

Posh
IT Manager in Australien
Groߟhandel, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Easy to use and it works

Kommentare: We are very happy with Altaro as our backup solution. We have been using Altaro over 2 years on all our hosts. Pricing is far better compared to other similar backup solutions in the market.

We are a medium-size organization with Altaro installed on 6 hyper-v hosts. Experience has been great with Altaro when it comes to backups of all our VMs and restoring data/files. Very easy setup and administration even a nontechie can get this set up in less than 15 minutes. GUI is very intuitive and gives you all the information required. Cloud management console makes it easier to manage and receive alerts from anywhere. Support is great and always very helpful in resolving issues promptly. 5 stars!!

Little sensitive to storage device errors. However, nothing to concern about as it usually gives you plenty of information to troubleshoot the issue. Support is great from Altaro in resolving them quickly and efficiently.

Florian
CEO in Deutschland
Essen & Trinken, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Great Backup software which is reliable and very easy to use

Kommentare: I am really happy about the software. A friend told us about it because he uses Altaro Backup in his company. He is their IT consultant. The software is easy to set up and really reliable. Luckily I did not need to restore a backup yet, only a few files I had to restore so far. However, because of the sandbox test verification feature, I feel safe that all backups can be restored.

I like most about the software that it was so easy to be implemented. It really took only a few minutes to set up the system. Now since the new feature offers multiple offsite servers I feel even safer with my backups.

Actually, I do not have anything I can complain about. There is only one thing I am missing and that is IPV6 support for OffSite Server. I do have at home only IPV6 available but I cannot connect the offsite server to Altarao Backup.

In Betracht gezogene Alternativen: Acronis Cyber Backup und Acronis Cyber Protect Cloud

Gründe für den Wechsel zu Altaro VM Backup: Because of the price and a friend recommended Altrao. So I have tried it and was very happy with it.

Antwort von Altaro Software

Thank you for your review -- we greatly appreciate your feedback. We've taken note of your feature request relating to IPV6 support.

Grigori
Solutions architect in Australien

Been customer for 7 years and quite happy

5,0 letzten Monat Neu

Started using the product in 2015 with basic windows server 2008 Hyper-V back-up for free trial and was quite surprised about quality and functionality. Since then been using in various environments (1000+ VMs) and amount of progress from old versions to the new is significant. I could see how much effort and expertise goes into the product and how it is trying to be on the cutting edge of backup technology.

The upgrade process from old to new version is not as seamless as I wanted it to be, especially with licence.

In Betracht gezogene Alternativen: Veeam Backup & Replication

Warum Altaro VM Backup gewählt wurde: Cost/effectiveness was the main factor, why do I need to pay 3 times more premium for the same quality. Another one was the quality of support is outstanding. Always on time and knowledgeable.

IT Guy in UK

Been using it for years and each new version does bring extra features

5,0 vor 2 Wochen Neu

Kommentare: The backup of customer servers to our own premises was the ultimate goal and this has been achieved at an affordable rate to use and our customers - other solutions were just not user friend at all.

The MSP pricing is excellent compared to all others and very simple to get my head around. Simply buying a license per server backed up is much easier than worry about cost per GB and cost per CPU core that some others think is normal.

On the MSP dashboard managing hosts regards licencing is a little tedious and confusing. Simply converting an existing installation from the 2 guest to MSP version is a hassle and not obvious how to do without a lot of trial and error to work it out.

In Betracht gezogene Alternativen: Veem

Warum Altaro VM Backup gewählt wurde: Affordability and ease of setup.

Gründe für den Wechsel zu Altaro VM Backup: Affordability and ease of use and licencing.

Brandon
IT Director in USA
Sicherheit & Untersuchungen, 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Fantastic product for the Price

5,0 vor 2 Wochen Neu

Kommentare: Altaro has been very easy to use and I have been able to successfully restore full running VM's when needed so I am a big believer in the product.

What I like most about Altaro is the new ability to backup direct to Azure Cloud Storage accounts. This has been a game changer for us in our DR plan. It allows us to feel comfortable that we have local and cloud versions of our backups. That is a killer feature at the Altaro Price point.

The only con I have is that we have had some occasional issues when using large USB devices for local backup. They seem to produce alot more errors with Altaro that with previously used products. Usually a reformat of the drive and the system seems to function well with it again. Just something we keep an eye on.