XLSTAT: the workhorse for data science

Parag jyoti D.
Assistant Professor (S-3)
Forschung, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: XLSTAT can be best described as the software for data science from beginner to advanced levels that can be operated without the need of technical guidance. Sampling, data preparation, exploratory data analysis to building prediction models with state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms generally encompasses a set of requirements: a clear objective, a software with all standard features and algorithms, intuition, technical guidance, and probably, also experience. With XLSTAT, the first one in the list alone is sufficient enough to successfully accomplish the goal; the rest is taken care of by XLSTAT. In the academic milieu, we regularly face the task of explaining students of how statistical models are built from a set of data and their specific applications accompanied by demonstrations in the classroom. This includes even spatial and time-series data. This tutoring approach goes a long way in encouraging students towards a dissertation project involving data-driven modelling. In this situation, undergraduates who only have some basic operational knowledge about Excel spreadsheets are easily drawn into using a data science platform which runs on the already familiar Excel and transforms their data in spreadsheets into powerful and efficient models. This is where XLSTAT becomes the default platform for data science projects. In short, XLSTAT is a workhorse for data scientists with a few simple mouse clicks and visualizing the response in every step as stunning graphics.

Vorteile: XLSTAT can process even spatial data as raster to CSV converted files and enables to prepare the data just like in Excel. Data preparation is the single tedious task which consumes most of the time in a data science project. XLSTAT has all standard features and algorithms of machine learning software which can be operated by editing simple spreadsheets.

Nachteile: Not suitable for processing a big dataset with 10 million rows such as high-resolution remote sensing images

von Addinsoft an 18.1.2019

Many thanks for your detailed review! It is now possible to load data files which exceed the standard Excel worksheet size. This import method loads data into the computer¿s memory rather than the worksheet. This option is currently available for regression, normality tests and data management tasks but we plan to integrate it to more features.

I think I'm a satisfied user of XLSTAT

Mauricio R.
Researcher and professor
Gesundheit, Wellness & Fitness, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I have used XLSTAT for more than 5 years for data analysis in the field of health sciences (basic, clinical and epidemiological research) with good results. I have tried to recommend the use of XLSTAT to other colleagues, but the cost of licenses and the need to renew the support / update service every year is a major obstacle. I have needed assistance for XLSTAT use several times, and the response of the support team has always been promptly and in a satisfactory way. I think that thanks to the fact that we are already many users of XLSTAT and that it has been several years since its launch -with which the costs of the initial investments have already been amortized-, they could lower the costs of the licenses, in order to encourage users to keep using this useful software, as well as to attract new users to this growing community.

Vorteile: Being an extension of the excel interface facilitates its use and is relatively simple. The output formats of the results are easy to interpret and to be used in other applications.

Nachteile: For the same reason that it is a program that opens within another (add-in for Excel, Microsoft), any change in the operating system or in the Excel itself impacts the performance of XLSTAT. Unfortunately, in recent yeas this has happened very frequently, leaving out those who has not contracted the support/update service, since in some cases it is possible that XLSTAT stops working completely. There is a real dependence on the support/update service even for basic operation.

von Addinsoft an 27.3.2019

Thank you for your review. Indeed, as an Excel add-on XLSTAT depends on Microsoft Office. Therefore, we have to constantly develop and release new versions to ensure full compatibility with the most recent versions of Excel. This is why, when purchasing a perpetual license, we establish a maintenance contract valid for one year, renewable each year at a reduced rate.

XLstat

Bewertet am 6.8.2019
Celia R.
PhD student
Konsumgüter, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Very positive experience, I start my deep statistical analysis with Xlstat and learn a lot.

Vorteile: I like the easiness and very intuitive interface. Clear tutorials on the website with important examples. It is a very complete tool for my daily activity. I will recommend always.

Nachteile: Sometimes the difficult in reinstall the old versions in other computers

XLSTAT Basic - A Very Useful Inexpensive Statistical Tool

Francis D.
Senior Renal Consultant
Medizinische Praxis, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I use XLSTAT for data analysis I encounter with my clinical research and review work.

Vorteile: I like its integration with Excel and its multiple array of functions at an affordable price. I have been using JMP and StatView in the past. The former has gotten to be very expensive and the latter is no longer available. For a user requiring basic to moderate statistical tools this program is excellent. It does reasonable charting using Excel's capabilities. I have not tried the charting modules as they are not essential to what I do.

Nachteile: It took me a while to get used to it. The manual is not easy to navigate. I have looked at some tutorials and found them helpful. Perhaps setting an Introductory course to "Become a proficient XLSTAT user" lets say in 12-24 sessions could be helpful.

von Addinsoft an 18.1.2019

Many thanks for your review! We organise a 3-Day training on XLSTAT-Base every spring and autumn. You can check out the dates at https://www.xlstat.com/en/training. Statistics webinar recordings can be also found at https://help.xlstat.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2761028-statistics-webinar-recordings?b_id=9202. Regards, the XLSTAT Team.

XLSTAT for biotechnology research

Bewertet am 15.1.2019
Investigador
Biotechnologie, 10.001+ Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I really took advantage for the features provided on the normal version and I will definitly will renew my supscription

Vorteile: I liked the easy the interface works, and the vast and powerful statistic tools on it. I used the normal version and has enough tools for research in biotechnology. When I tried the premium version I can use several techniques and I really considered to buy it.

Nachteile: The high price, and the economic version only last one year. I recommended that once your license ends you can continue some of the features integrated on that license and don't block you all access even the free trail.

von Addinsoft an 17.1.2019

Thank you for your review! After your license expires, XLSTAT converts to the Free limited version so you should be able to continue using some of its features. If this is not the case, please contact our technical support team at support@xlstat.com.

Highly recommendable for all Excel users in science

Robert H.
Prof.
Krankenhausversorgung & Gesundheitswesen, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Using it for a few years now and cant imagine using EXCEL without it.

Vorteile: XLSTAT provides basic functionality that is not available in MS EXCEL- most importantly non-parametric tests. Scientists have to understand that the majority of their data is not normally distributed, consequently the tests MS EXCEL contains are not sufficient. While EXCEL is a powerful and often underrated tool, its functionality is incomplete without XLSTAT.
To my students I recommend to use at least the free XLSTAT basic version.

Nachteile: Unfortunately, there is still no compendium of all commands and the corresponding sytnax.
E.g. if you dont want every result to be displayed on a new sheet, but rather in EXCEL style in a single cell, you need to use XLSTAT commands, such as "=XLSTAT_MannWhitney(array1,array2,a) - here, a stands for tails, but nobody knows what you have to enter… this is poor.
I feel it cant be that hard to add a complete list of commands with syntax.

Superb Customer Support

Bob R.
Professor Emeritus
Hochschulbildung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: My research entails the exploration of the data generated by test subjects making high-speed visual judgements. As it has moved through upgrades I have taken benefit of the additional functionality added into the software by the XLSTAT team. Occasionally I have messed up the upgrade or spotted a problem and the support team have been just that - they have provided excellent support and with my ability to get things wrong that has been invaluable.

Vorteile: XLSTAT has a range of depth of functionality even in its Basic version which is outstanding and the fact that it sits happily on top of EXCEL makes it a winner as far as I am concerned. Statistics has always been lurking in my academic and professional background but just using and experimenting with XLSTAT features on my data sets has allowed me to explore a range of possibilities that would have sent me nuts if using SPSS. An exceptional piece of software and a brilliant learning and research tool.

Nachteile: Nothing - it has enhanced my research no end.

enjoy wit XLSTAT

Jean-françois P.
professeur émérite
Forschung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: XLSTAT is the only statistical tool I use for all my publications in the frame of quantittive ecology

Vorteile: Being involved in statistics for more than 50 years, I never found so easy to compute statistical tests and draw figures (more espcially for multivariate statistics) with a statistical program. The main advantage of XLSTAT is that it adds a lot of tools to Excel, now also some procesures from R (still to be extended to ade4, for instance). I recommand it, not only for students, but also to all scientists.

Nachteile: The price is a little too high, please make an effort to decrease it

Robust Statistical Package - but not first choice.

Bewertet am 2.3.2019
Gabrielle A.
Student
Forschung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Awesome for researchers who are non-R users.

Vorteile: I am in natural science research, which means I am always looking into finding efficient data analysis options. I came across XLSTAT during my Masters. It was easy to add into Excel ( my main data management software), which allowed me to carry out multivariate analysis and do so with ease. As an excel add-in, this was ideal because it became part of the interface without me having to use different applications. This software definitely enhanced my data analysis at the time.

Nachteile: I had the free trial - it kept crashing and definitely had some bugs. This meant that I had to plan my data analysis accordingly, which was somewhat limiting for my research.
Second to this, I occasionally had some user issues with basic functions like data selections.
The advertisements and notices to upgrade were really irritating and deterred me from wanting to do so.
Lastly, as I continue into my PhD, I will not be buying XLSTAT because there are more powerful tools out there that are available for free - specifically R. If XLSTAT had the same capabilities but with a more user friendly approach - I would definitely not hesitate in purchasing it.

von Addinsoft an 27.3.2019

Thank you for your review. You can certainly call any R function using our XLSTAT-R and XLSTAT-RNotebook tools. This is a user-friendly interface which allows you to call R scripts directly within Excel or using XLSTAT dialog boxes. Available in all XLSTAT solutions as well as the Trial version.

Technical assistence for solving of the troubleshooting of the programme

Bewertet am 11.1.2019
Martin M.
Teacher
Bildungsmanagement, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I use XLSTAT for doing the research at the field of the economic & social science. I use the SW in developing models for revealing the causal relations between the variables and statistical evaluations of samples & data.

Vorteile: Until recently i really appreciated the functionality and wide array of topics of the programme and its direct relation with excel.

Nachteile: Ongoing technical hurdles with the programme, which until now have not been solved (after renewing the license), despite of my pleading.

von Addinsoft an 18.1.2019

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that technical problems persist. Please send an email at support@xlstat.com and your request will be treated in priority by our technical support team.

Sensory Evaluation in XLSTAT

Principal Scientist
Essen & Trinken, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Our group is responsible for a large number of sensory tests. XLSTAT makes it easy to turn these studies around quickly with the tables and charts it produces.

Vorteile: XLSTAT makes multivariate analysis a snap. I have been a SAS user since 1982 and use it for some analysis where I need the detailed diagnostics. However, I try to utilize statistics packages that are easier to use when possible which makes it much simpler to instruct more junior scientists how to perform advanced analysis and XLSTAT is really good for this. I make it a practice to check any new statistical package against SAS results and XLSTAT passes with flying colors.

Nachteile: The only problem I have encountered with XLSTAT is having EXCEL crash n occasion, though this may have more to do with how our IT department has configured our computers.

Excellent experience

Bewertet am 18.6.2018
Humberto C.
College professor
Bildungsmanagement, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Share research results for the constant updating of my knowledge in the statistical area specifically in the processing of multivariate data

Vorteile: Its interface is very friendly and meets most of the requirements I need for the processing of statistical data

Nachteile: Actually almost everything I like would not take anything away as they constantly update them and incorporate new statistical tools for data processing.

von Addinsoft an 21.6.2018

Thank you very much for your excellent review Humberto C., the whole XLSTAT team thanks you

XLSTAT in my diary work

Francisco V.
Investigador
Umweltdienstleistungen, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: My experience is very pleasant. XLSTAT allows me to perform very simple works (graphs like the box diagram) to a little more complicated analysis (RDA analysis) all from the familiarity of Microsoft EXCEL.

Vorteile: What I like about XLSTAT is its integration with EXCEL, which makes it very easy and intuitive to use.

Nachteile: Now, the level of compartmentalization in the modules. It would be easier to have a full version with all the analysis options

THE BEST EVER XLSTAT

Bewertet am 17.1.2019
Siti musliha M.
student
Sport, Selbstständig

Kommentare: XLSTAT help me solving analysis for my PHD thesis that concentrated in talent identification in sports. Machine learning is the best part i found in XLSTAT. Since the application of machine learning in sports is very new, XLSTAT make me easier to run the data and interpret it. Thanks XLSTAT!

Vorteile: XLSTAT has provided fully solution for my PHD thesis especially in pre-processing procedure, data analysis and visually describe my result beautifully. Besides, proper explanation in each output is really helpful so that my interpretation in writing became easier. In addition, i can found the tutorial for every analysis i needed easily.

Nachteile: i try very hard to find out the part that i like least about this software. but i cant found it. Sorry.

Very useful and powerful software in excel environment

Sophie N.
Research PI
Forschung, 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I have become used to solve statistical issues for colleagues because it is easy to use and powerful but does not require a special language

Vorteile: Easy to use but powerful
It allows to perform excel analyses/sorting in parallel to statistical analyses.
Lots of options are available in the different analysis tools
Different packages are available so one does not have to pay for analyses that one will never use.
Lots of tutorials are available

Nachteile: It does not allow to draw nice graphs of the results such as graphpad prism. This is a shame as most of my colleagues in biomedical research prefer Prism just because of these graphs that can be modified and edited easily
More tutorials could be added for more complex analyses (such as paired samples eg)

A must in the field

Bewertet am 8.1.2019
Cofounder and CEO. Chief scientific and medical officer.
Pharmazeutika, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I do clinical trials and lab data analysis (and quality control) and am happy with the overall performance. Cut and paste to the reports is easy. Fine tool.

Vorteile: First, it is not based on an enormous statistical package and the articulation with Excel is most of the time excellent. Second it is very reliable and easy to use (at least if you are a little bit familiar with the field). Third, it does many things and some versions are very complete, enough to satisfy in most cases all your needs. Fourth, you'll find very specialised analysis or tests beside the common ones. Fifth, the value for money is excellent and the accompanying doc is extensive.

Nachteile: Well, some repetitive analysis are boring, but it does the job.

XLSTAT is the only statistical plug-in that you need

Nicolas T.
Postdoctoral fellow
Hochschulbildung, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I have used XLSTAT for biomedical data analysis running various statistiscal tests (descriptive stats, parametric and non-parametric tests, correlation) and using the gene expression and heat map plug-in. I was pleased with ease of use of the software, the intuitive interface and the extensive tutorials that are one clic away. I recommend this software to anyone looking for a powerfull statistical software without the need to learn programming (R or SAS are more versatile) or to download expensive statistical suite like SPSS, STATA or JMP.

Vorteile: - ease of use
- Microsoft Excel plug-in
- powerfull build-in features (with various software version according to needs/field)
- nice results layout

Nachteile: - subscription-based software
- academic discount is good vs. other products, but overall high price for students

XLSTAT

Sensory Analyst
Forschung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I use XLSTAT Sensory, and I really enjoy it. The software is user-friendly and easy to use, and there is a plethora of resources for all users.

Vorteile: I really like how user-friendly it is, and how there is a full explanation of how to use each function. I often look to the XLSTAT website for help and it is a great resource.

Nachteile: The only comment I have is that it would be nice to be able to communicate with a help desk type resource through a chat box- however this feature may already exist and I just have not yet discovered it yet.

Great for analysis of sensory science data

Lauren R.
Sensory Science Consultant
Unternehmensberatung, Selbstständig

Kommentare: It has allowed me to analyse many sets of data for various clients: preference mapping, multiple factor analysis, principal component analysis, sensory panel performance...

Vorteile: I like the various options for analysis that are not easily available elsewhere - particularly for sensory science applications. Once you get used to the different menus it's fairly easy to use. The tutorials and video support are mostly very clear. The customer service is excellent with very rapid replies and solutions.

Nachteile: It can be difficult to use the first few times but the tutorials help explain most things and the excellent customer service helps with much of the rest. The plots can be tricky to share and require some editing before use.

Probably easiest statistical tool to use

Bewertet am 3.4.2019
Student
Bildungsmanagement, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: I like how the software allows me to do my data analysis with ease, as compared to STATA, which requires a great deal of practice and knowledge in order to use it effectively.

Nachteile: Some features are of relatively insignificant importance. Also, the display of outputs does not look really attractive to me.

Great product

Dylan L.
System Administrator
Lebensmittelproduktion, 5.001-10.000 Mitarbeiter

Vorteile: As a system admin its a great app for us. Never fails, no hassle for the users and no service calls.

Nachteile: The activation process causes a slight annoyance if a machine dies or a user leaves before we get to deactivate I haven't seen an easy way to deactivate the license but its a small gripe.

Use of Xlstats for Consumer Research data analyses

Heidi G.
Sales Director
Marktforschung, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: We were looking for an easy to learn and use software that would help us analyses our research data, this software really does this.

Vorteile: 1.Easy of use and easy to train new staff on the software
2.Excellent help files and video
3. Fully automated graphs produced

Nachteile: There is nothing wrong with the software

Impressive software with friendly interface and accurate results

Reza E.
Directeur Recherche Clinique & Opérations / Clinical Research Director & Chief Operating Officer
Krankenhausversorgung & Gesundheitswesen, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Very good experience for many years, use it on a daily basis.

Vorteile: I run all the analysis with XLStat and always compared with SAS and R: XLStat is very accurate and reliable for researchers.

Nachteile: Crashes with too many data. Huge datasets like omics data may require to go to R or SAS.

XLSTAT has changed my research

Suzanne E.
Head of Collections
Hochschulbildung, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I continue to renew my subscription to XLSTAT. I have never needed another stats program since I started using XLSTAT. I have recommended it to many colleagues and students.

Vorteile: I love that XLSTAT works with Excel spreadsheets. I love the tech support. I love all of the options. When there isn't a specific statistic or graphing option available, I have been able to request it and tech has always provided my request with the new update of the software.

Nachteile: At times, it crashes a lot when I am running large datasets. Also, the help manual does not always have answers to the questions that I am asking. Finally, it is a bit pricey for students.

Excellent, User Friendly

Bewertet am 10.1.2019
Briana N.
Scientist
Schreiben & Editieren, 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall, I have truly enjoyed using XLSTAT. It has streamlined my research and made my life much easier. I worry about whether I can afford it when I am no longer a student and when I need to expand what statistics I need.

Vorteile: I rave endlessly about the usability of XLSTAT and the variety of statistics available. I've dealt with countless statistical softwares and they can be incredibly frustrating to use with a very high learning curve. XLSTAT is the exact opposite of that and you don't have to convert any of your data into obscure formats to use it! All formats easily import into and out of excel making XLSTAT the ideal program.

Nachteile: The only cons are the price tag and the inability to customize what statistics you need most without buying additional premium packages. It is extremely expensive if you aren't a student or affiliated with an organization who sponsors the payment for this program.

von Addinsoft an 27.3.2019

Thank you for your review! Indeed, the prices change if you are no longer a student. However,our rates still remain very competitive compared to other softwares. Please do not hesitate to contact us at https://www.xlstat.com/en/contact if you need any information on the prices of the different solutions.