Affinity Designer

Absolutely Outstanding!

Bewertet am 13.11.2019
Barbara C.
Senior Strategy

Kommentare: It been beyond outstanding for us. Super satisfied and I can’t recommend it enough. It was super easy to migrate completely from the Adobe Suite. No hiccups at all.

Vorteile: It is lightning fast! And not to mention super affordable. Here is a piece of software with great customer support and an amazing community behind it. It is very intuitive and the learning curve is not steep at all. In fact, far more intuitive than Adobe Suite.

Nachteile: So far, all good! Maybe how it opens files from the Adobe Suite could improve but it has nothing to do with Affinity as much as how Adobe packages their files.

Brilliant Application - Incredible Brand!

Bewertet am 21.11.2019
Joshua T.
Musician | Online Tutor
Kunst & Handwerk, Selbstständig

Kommentare: My overall experience with the whole Affinity brand is supremely positive. Every aspect of their service: from the products they provide to the support, tutorials and workbooks they offer is of a supremely high standard. I'm incredibly excited to see how this brand evolves and will definitely be purchasing any product they add to their catalogue in the future.

Vorteile: Designer is an incredibly deep application that can satisfy just about everyone's demands for digital illustration. It has a phenomenal feature set and works on multiple devices, thus enabling the user to maximize their output and enhance their workflow. The accompanying Workbook is a brilliant way to familiarize the user to the capabilities of the software, and as the only viable alternative to Adobe Illustrator, anyone making the transition will feel right at home - you can even open up your Illustrator projects in Designer! Another great function is the seamless integration with Affinity's other applications - Publisher and Photo. I have only scratched the surface of this application but am astonished at what can be achieved. I can't recommend it highly enough and think that there is nothing on the market than can compete at this price range. Five stars! 🏆

Nachteile: Since making the transition from Illustrator, I've honestly not looked back once. There is nothing in my workflow that Designer isn't capable of performing. As such, I have no cons and can't think of any reason not explore Designer and its capabilities.

The best Adobe Illustrator replacement you can buy... and without a subscription

Bewertet am 7.2.2020
Sean B.
Consulting Manager

Kommentare: I use Affinity Designer almost every day to design websites, print material, logos. Haven't found a project yet that it hasn't been perfect for.

Vorteile: Amazing user interface and incredible performance, especially on a Mac. I left Adobe's subscription model years ago and would never go back, thanks to this software. Having complete file compatibility between this software and their Photo and Publisher platforms is indispensable. The fact that there's an iPad version with almost the exact same feature set is a huge plus. Best part is that you buy it once. No subscription.

Nachteile: I really have found nothing not to like about this software. I use it for professional design work just about every day and love every aspect of it.

Affinity Designer is a Worthy Contender in the Design Software Space

Bewertet am 13.11.2019
Onlinemedien, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Affinity Designer feels like a friendlier vector design option as compared with some of the other usual suspects. While old-school designers and illustrators may prefer a more traditional approach, A.D. doesn't make you work quite as hard for basic shapes, text, etc. On the other hand, the departures may make it a harder transition for more experienced users. And, while this isn't a reflection on the software specifically, as a newer addition to the space, there are fewer tutorials available. I don't use it exclusively in design work, but I definitely favor it in many ways.

Vorteile: The interface is user-friendly, although there is definitely a learning curve coming from other vector design packages. I appreciate that there is a library of built-in shapes. When I'm trying to work through a design, I'd rather not have to draw a call-out or a cog or a heart. It's nice to be able to just pop them in. I also find that the basic text tool is friendlier than other packages.

Nachteile: There are some features that don't work as intended or are missing entirely, when compared against other vector design software. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to auto-trace a raster image, which would be helpful for my use.

Not fit for purpose

Bewertet am 23.1.2019
Simon D.
Freelance Designer and Web Developer
Grafikdesign, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Not really a finished app I have been trying to integrate Affinity Designer into a professional workflow for a number of years now but I've come to the conclusion that it's just too painful and there is nothing to indicate that this will improve. Back when I first purchased this app the developers were promising a roadmap of future improvements which would bring it closer to some of the industry-standard vector apps out there. It's been two years now and not a single thing on that list has been implemented. The few updates which have come down the line have focused on things like the app icon. The developers have moved on to other projects, and it seems to me that for all intents and purposes, development on this software has been abandoned. I wouldn't wish to speculate if this software will even be supported in a few years. So we're left with an app which lacks some of the most fundamental vector editing tools. With the exception of skew, vectors cannot be distorted in any way (including perspective) and it even lacks a knife tool. These are tools which are actually provided by many free editors. Furthermore, many tools are very poorly implemented. Convert to curves produces hilariously unusable results and things like Offset Path simply don't exist. The developers themselves are notoriously unresponsive to please for further development. Since going cross-platform there have been many reports of Designer's instability and since the implementation of Apples Metal API

Vorteile: It's cheap, although it still remains less powerful that some free apps

Nachteile: Development seems to have ground to a halt on this app. Investing time and energy learning could be a waste of time as it may not be around in the future.

Huge Value For Any Designer Seeking to Get Out of the Adobe Subscription Prison

Bewertet am 20.1.2020
Daniel A.
Freelance Designer
Kunst & Handwerk, Selbstständig

Kommentare: My overall experience with Affinity Designer has been very positive. The software has allowed me to create hundreds of vector designs with ease and I've saved hundreds of dollars getting out of the Adobe subscription model! I highly recommend the Affinity suite to any professional designer or photographer.

Vorteile: Affinity Designer allows you to create professional vector designs and illustrations without a lifetime subscription. It has won many accolades for it's ease of use and functionality from Apple and others in the design industry. For $50 you get the equivalent of an Adobe Illustrator AND support for pixel/raster designs alongside vector work.

Nachteile: Although the team Serif is constantly updating the software, Affinity Designer lacks some of the features that have been native to Illustrator for many years like vectorizing raster images or a scissors tool. This will often lead you to search for a workaround on the Affinity forums or YouTube.

Dump Illustrator and use this epically great software

Bewertet am 2.12.2019
Glen S.
Freelance Graphic designer
Grafikdesign, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Very positive, I like how much power I have over the image I create! And how there are not so many panels everywhere it takes a while to get used to if you are switching from Adobe, but there is an elegance to their thinking!

Vorteile: Fluid ease of use, very little is a struggle to understand! Compared to Illustrator this is an exercise in brilliant illustration vector software! This is quality software well thought out and a joy to use!

Nachteile: Nothing, although gradients could be easier to apply! They are a struggle to find, but once you do they are logical and easy to find, just do not expect to find a panel for everything like in Adobe software!

Perfect vector graphics editor for great price

Bewertet am 30.10.2019
Lukás S.
Project manager

Kommentare: Perfect for its price.

Vorteile: Affinity Designer provides you with great value for your money.
Awesome features and great UI are all here. Everything you would expect from a much higher priced competition.

Nachteile: Affinity designer does a few things a bit differently, mostly for the better, but sometimes it can be frustrating (like locking a layer with a single click)

Elegant.

Bewertet am 21.10.2019
Jay M.
Student
Grafikdesign, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I design business cards and it's quite convenient than Illustrator.

Vorteile: Many companies try to make a duplicate version of a software that already exists and is at the apex. We all know that Adobe Illustrator exists for graphic designing so you must be wondering why Affinity? Honestly, this team has done a great job. Almost the same kind of functionalities with easier feel. I guess even price-wise it's lower than Illustrator. Sometimes I feel like this is a lighter version of Illustrator, same functionalities and works faster in any laptop without any lag, unlike Illustrator.

Nachteile: It has done a good job replicating Illustrator, I don't think I found any flaw yet.

The best lightweight design tool.

Bewertet am 23.1.2020
Joseph D.
Graphic Designer
Design, Selbstständig

Kommentare: When it comes to meeting up with deadlines, I choose to work with Affinity Designer because it helps me get the task done fast. I've been using it for more than a year now and I love it.
I've used Affinity Designer to design amazing and interactive page layouts for clients who end up referring other clients to me. My latest work with Affinity Designer was a layout design I did for a campus newspaper.

Vorteile: I love the fact that it's lightweight, and I also love the simple and beautiful user interface plus an amazing user experience.

Nachteile: I discovered that some advanced features found in tools like InDesign and Illustrator are lacking in thiS software.

Vector graphics for everybody

Bewertet am 3.9.2019
Panagiotis K.
Founder & Managing Director
Medienproduktion, 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: As the leader of a small-to-medium-enterprise and an educator in sound for media, many times I have the need to create simple graphics. From schematics and diagrams to icons and beyond. I use them for my company's internal knowledge-base, when I blog, for my presentations in classrooms, and even to create our own software graphical assets from mockups to finished product. First of all, it's no secret that working in vector is what every software developer should do, as it allows for the generation of all the graphic assets to be made in various bitmap resolutions, so your application looks clear and crisp in any device. Lately, even the Unity game engine introduced a pipeline to use vector graphic assets to create games, so that they render in any resolution, I definitely recommend checking this out if you are a game developer.
Anyway, Affinity Designer always delivered a great experience for me and all my colleagues said that I became a graphic designer, which is not true, but it is a great compliment, and I really own that to Affinity Designer.
The exporter feature is one huge time saver, you should check out the videos they have about this one and also the rest of Affinity team's video tutorials in Vimeo.
Overall, the experience of using the application can be described as smooth, fast and easy.

Vorteile: What I liked most about this program, is the workflow and interface. The developers managed to create a simple to use application for vector graphics, that everybody can operate. I can't remember how many times I got frustrated trying to make a simple graphic in other programs, while in Affinity Designer, the workflow is mapped so well, that everybody can use it. From computer graphics professionals around the world, to amateurs like me, it is straight forward to open the application and start creating. The online help system is awesome and omni-present and the graphical interface is sleek and looks good in any monitor that I tried it, even small ones. I also consider a great bonus that the company keeps a straight policy about pricing, they don't use the subscription model which is very good for SMEs.

Nachteile: Some advanced vector tools are missing, but the software is still young and I'm sure it will develop to a great tool. After all, the developers seem to have usability, ease of use and fast workflows in mind, so they add new features very carefully, to keep Affinity Designer the great tool that it is now.

It's not Illustrator, but it'll do

Bewertet am 23.8.2019
Connor D.
E-Learning, Selbstständig

Kommentare: It gets the job done. That's probably the best thing I can say about it. It gets the job done, but I trudge through every moment of the job.

Vorteile: It's surprisingly fully-featured for the price. Once you know what you're doing, it can accomplish just about any task you'd use Illustrator (the industry standard) for.

Nachteile: The workflows are just ... Annoying. Maybe it's because I'm coming from Illustrator, where everything feels effortless, but it feels like every aspect of Affinity Designer was made unnecessarily complicated. Using the program makes me want to pull my hair out, because I know how much quicker and easier and just ... More "common sense" the process would be in Illustrator. Also, and this is a big one: Most stock vector files are completely useless in Affinity Designer. If there's any degree of complexity (meaning more than one shape), it's going to be an absolute disaster to work with in Designer.

Excellent graphics design tool, Illustrator alternative!

Bewertet am 15.10.2019
Web Designer

Kommentare: Absolute pleasure! I couldn't afford the Adobe package but now I have Affinity Designer and Photo and it more than meets all my needs for website graphics and photo editing and design.

Vorteile: So much cheaper than Illustrator / Photoshop and packs all the features I need. Easy to use, easy to learn. Many tutorials from Affinity as well as other skilled users. Use it for simple projects or very in-depth. Replace expensive and subscription services with this one-time very reasonably priced vector graphics software. They also have an iPad app that is just as powerful and neither suck up resources!

Nachteile: If you are very used other software like Illustrator, it will take some time to adjust at first. You may have to find different ways to do the same task in Designer, but it is just a quick look-up away from learning.

A wonderful substitute for Adobe Illustrator

Bewertet am 11.7.2018
Heidi S.
Graphic Designer
Design, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Awesome alternative to Adobe products, clean interface and makes my project flow much more efficient.

Vorteile: I really like how intuitive the software is for designers who are familiar with any standard design platform. I've been using Serif products for 9 years now and have always been impressed with how affordable and functional their design software has always been. They made design accessible to anyone in a market where design software pricing made it out of reach for many struggling graphic artists and designers. This newest offering is, in my opinion, superior to the industry standard vector offering, Adobe Illustrator. At a base level Affinity Designer offers all of the functionality of it's competition, with more ease of use and a much more affordable rate.

Nachteile: As Affinity Designer is still fairly new there are some small bugs, however, the Affinity support team works hard to address those and update the software often. Also, while most of the features are super intuitive the more advanced offerings can be harder to figure out. More tutorials offered by the company and the design community would be beneficial to allow people to really get all of the value that they can. The software is capable of so much but learning about those advanced features can be frustrating.

Affinity Designer, a good tool for designers.

Bewertet am 15.1.2019
Ingeniero de Implementación y Soporte
Design, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I use Affinity for more than two years and the truth is that what can be achieved is satisfactory, that it is easy to use because it resembles others, it contains the exact thing to illustrate and when deploying it in the graphic arts department it was very appropriate for us. Its low cost, its help methods grow over time and this allows you to be informed of innovations in the product.

Vorteile: Affinity is a good competitor for other tools that are giving you something to talk about and they show it with this software that enhances your designs, an interface that does not depart from familiar tools. Its low cost and updates draw attention, I had the opportunity to test it on MacOS and I wanted it to come out for windows, later my prayers were heard and today is part of my group of applications that I use to illustrate, Serif intends to get into the game with a program that offers a lower cost of good quality than others that are expensive.

Nachteile: Although upgrades improve it and make Affinity more similar to other software, it lacks many tools that would boost it and put it at the top, but eventually we'll see it.

The Best Vector Program for your Money!

Bewertet am 26.10.2018
Account Services Representative
Versicherung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: My overall experience with Affinity Designer has been overwhelmingly positive. Seriously, there isn't a better vector/raster program for Windows, Mac, and iPad for the price. It's changed my design workflow for the better and I hope it disrupts the stranglehold a certain suite of tools has on the industry.

Vorteile: Affinity Designer has helped me cut the expensive cord that tied me to the Adobe suite of graphic design tools. The price is absolutely mind-blowing for what this software can do. It does everything programs like Illustrator can do--creating vector art and manipulating nodes on the fly. But it also adds raster tools allowing you to combine smooth vector designs with detailed bitmaps. There's so much Serif has packed into this amazing app at an insanely affordable price that there's no reason every designer and hobbyist should be adding to their toolbox today.

Nachteile: My only nitpicks about this software is that occasionally it will crash when you're handling large files with lots of layers and that new versions don't come out as quickly as I'd like. But Serif is a small team who's passionate about their product and I know they'll continue to develop it to be the best it can be.

A great alternative to Illustrator.

Bewertet am 28.8.2019
Ina eliza G.
Administrator
Versicherung, 13-50 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: I started to use Affinity Designer in order to wake up the creativity in me. I took several classes to learn how to use it - each class was having a certain project as a goal. It is not so difficult to learn and I think you learn best when you have a certain end in mind. If you are used with Illustrator, it will be very easy to use Affinity Designer. Some cannot give up using Illustrator, but if you are just beginning or on a tight budget, I really recommend Affinity Designer.

Vorteile: I like how much you get for the money you pay. It is a one-time payment, very budget-friendly, and you get a software that gives you everything you need to create what you have in mind: create a logo, write something or make an amazing artwork to print, to share. I am still amazed by the things that you can do with this software.

Nachteile: It is not that I don't like this, but you really need to put in the time and energy to learn it. And this was expected because you can create such amazing things with it. You can find tutorials and classes that will guide you. Just take your time and don't give up.

Easy to vectorize elements and good for multiple purposes design (printing, online design, cutting).

Bewertet am 20.4.2019
Andreea laura A.
Internet, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I bought Affinity Designer last year because it was at offer, i think on black friday. Initially I was reluctant to buy it and use it because I thought it would be hard to use and understand another application. If you know Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator you know how to use Affinity Designer. It seems to be a combination of them, but from my point of view better on working with vector elements.

Vorteile: First of all, because when you create vector elements and delete a point, it does not destroy the whole element that you've created. I like that you can organize in folders what you are doing and by double clicking on an item in the folder you selected it and you can edit it. For now, I've used affinity designer to make pdf documents as giveaway for my readers on the blog and to make design for my cutting machine. When I bought the application I received some templates to use, I have not used them yet but I assume they are useful. You can also create artboards to make design for sites and applications. You can export each artboard separately in different formats.

Nachteile: I faced a little problem. It is not compatible with Adobe Illustrator. At work I had this program and I sent a file home to make some changes but I could not do that because I could not open my document. Instead I have no problems with the eps format.

Great alternative

Bewertet am 9.9.2019
Grant T.
Art Director
Grafikdesign, Selbstständig

Kommentare: I've really enjoyed using this software as it works so well. And the biggest plus, no subscription!

Vorteile: Affinity's Designer is the closest thing to Adobe's Illustrator. Yet it has other great options. I particularly like how you can switch between vector and pixel mode. Additionally, it's really smooth to use. That's quite a hard thing to explain but it just works really well. It's also partly about how it feels like a mix of InDesign and Illustrator. I particularly like how you can easily export to many different formats.

Nachteile: I can't say there's anything really. I'm still slightly adjusting to the details of this from Adobe but that's to be expected, not that there's that much to pick up really.

Amazing product for the price

Bewertet am 5.11.2019
Nizomiddin T.
Front-end web developer / graphic designer

Kommentare: Overall product is amazing. I use it everyday to create vector illustrations and icons. So far, I have only good experience with this product

Vorteile: Product is professional. Rich with features and has pleasing UI. You can do 90% of everything you do in Adobe Illustrator CC. This is the best alternative for professional vector design.

Nachteile: Snapping is sometimes confusing, especially if you are coming from Adobe Illustrator CC. There is no easy way of defining custom patterns.

Extremely viable alternative to Photoshop and Illustrator

Bewertet am 29.7.2019
Jason H.
Computer-Software, Selbstständig

Vorteile: The software is very familiar if you come from Photoshop and Illustrator, but manages to make it a smoother and more modern feeling experience. As far as I can tell all the main tools you'd need from Adobe's software is here. Best of all, you pay the price you'd pay for one month of Adobe software... and you actually own it! So if you can't or don't want to pay for the upgrade in a couple years, you aren't just up poop creek like you are with Adobe.

Nachteile: The only con I have encountered so far is the lack of a button you can hold to switch to colorpicker. This would speed up my workflow a fair bit.

Best money I have ever spent on computer software

Bewertet am 9.5.2019
Adam P.
Special Projects

Kommentare: I LOVE AFFINITY DESIGNER!!! This software has been the absolute best money I have ever spent on a software program. This is a full-featured vector design tool that can stand toe to toe with programs like Adobe Illustrator which cost 10x more. If you are a graphic design professional that uses vector design tools every day it would probably be worth that extra expense to move up to AI, but Affinity Designer does 90% of what you'd get out of AI at a small fraction of the cost. Overall this program delivers a truly outstanding value! If you're searching for something like this and haven't yet committed to AI try Affinity Designer now!

Vorteile: Affinity Designer delivers an unbeatable feature set for the price.

Nachteile: Missing some more advanced features found in AI

Not really an Illustrator replacement, it still might be all many designers need

Bewertet am 26.6.2018
Rick P.

Vorteile: Adobe isn't exactly the most loved software company in the world right now, not even among designers who depend and even like its products. So if you dislike Adobe as much as I do, Serif's Affinity Designer has at least these things going for it: No subscriptions! Great, personal support! Engaged-with-the-community developers! Not built by a boring, unresponsive, impassive corporation that ignores its customers! But thankfully it's also a powerful and incredibly inexpensive piece of software. Stuff I really like: 1. Doesn't crash. I'm guessing that's because of good memory management, something I'm not sure Adobe has ever cared about. 2. Unlimited artboards! Yup, unlimited. 3. Split-screen and outline views with a keyboard shortcut. Nice! 4. Much, MUCH easier to work with pixels and vectors at the same time. 5. Did I mention that it's not Adobe?

Nachteile: Not as power-packed as Illustrator so some task still need Adobe, particularly for prepress. (For prototyping, you probably want Sketch.) Not as impressive as its sister application Affinity Photo. Proprietary format is obviously not an industry-standard like Adobe. No iPad app yet.

Versatile, Affordable Graphic Design Tool

Bewertet am 22.10.2019
Instructional Designer
E-Learning, 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

Kommentare: Overall experience has been extremely positive since first purchasing about 5 years ago. Cost effective, feature-rich, easy to use, and produces high quality results.

Vorteile: I started using this with an employer about 5 years ago and loved it immediately. An additional Creative Cloud license for me was not an option at the time, so I did research and found Affinity Designer. The features were comparable to what I'd have used with Illustrator and InDesign, and most of the shortcuts were the same, which helped me get started even faster with Affinity Designer. Exceptional price point, great features, and a dedicated development team that listens to feedback from users and builds needs into their roadmap. I continue to use this regularly for personal use and also occasionally for professional use.

Nachteile: Some of the features are still slightly behind where Adobe features are at, but the updates are ongoing and this works great for anybody that needs graphic design software at a more affordable cost. A team/cloud sharing option would a bonus for those collaborating on design frequently.

Vector meets Pixel in one simple app!

Bewertet am 4.9.2018
Sasha-shae W.
CEO and Visual Design Strategist
Design, Selbstständig

Kommentare: Overall I've used Affinity Designer to create logos, website layout wireframes and mockups, pdf documents, and a bunch of other things. It's really fast and doesn't lag at all

Vorteile: First and foremost, the cost of this app is stellar! You can't beat the price for what you're getting. AD is a vector and pixel based program and it's simplified workflows for those of us who wanted something different to the new subscriptions introduced by Adobe. I find AD really easy to jump into and use, and their tutorials out there are genuinely helpful, plus there are many 3rd party resources to help you learn more.

Nachteile: Since it's still a fairly new product, some features we may be used to in for example Illustrator, are not present. For one, I miss being able to do live traces and also I find the pathfinder functions work a little differently than they do in Illustrator.